Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: One Day Down, a Lifetime to Go

• Start Topic

I lived in Houston for 10 year and have been to events at the hotel where the wedding went down.  Here are my thoughts

1) Bao and Jonny- love these guys.  Bao looked beautiful at her wedding. The tea ceremony was the best. I like how they are interreacting with each other.  I think they really like each other.  Jonny was picky about alot of things, but I think he will let it all slide with Bao.  I know families that dont show physical affection, but at least Jonny knows that it is not personal,  I think they might make it.  I loved Bao's dress.

2) Melania and Zack- Melania looked like she wanted to jump Zack's bone at the wedding.  They are so having sex on the first night. The hari and makeup people are on fire. She looked great at the wedding.  On unfiltered she was wearing this dominatrix looking thing.  But why was she loosing her shit during the previews? And why was Zack crying again? I hope they make it, but she is drama.

3) Jose and ???- The beard is weird.  Didnt realize he was that short, but there is nothing he can do about it except wear platform shoes like Tom Cruise. He lives in Pearland, not the most desirable outskirt in Houston. The woman is average.  She is acting like she is a model. She called him ugly on his wedding day.  Or perhaps below average.  I wouldnt let that comment slide if I was Jose. I do think Jose seems slightly gender fluid. I think it is going to be a rough season for him.  She said he was no good in the looks department.  That is the thing he will remember. 

4) Gil and Myrna- Hey Myrna, why didnt you kiss the guy?  It seems like the women on this thread would take him home.  Something i snot right about her.  There is nothing wrong with buying expensive things. But if you have a closet full of Loubis with a small apartment, that makes no sense in Houston.  Houses are like $180K there (not the Galleria area), so to have $50K worth of clothing/shoes with no house, makes no sense.  In LA it make sense because a good house costs $4M. But not in Houston. Galleria area is full of gold-diggers. Thats where many of them live. The last time I was there, one of them hit me up for a $20 drink.  There are constant luxury vehicles around that area (Rolls, Lambos).  Why does homegirl work in Rosenberg?  That like another state.  Gil seems like a nice, honorable man, who wont have any problems with dates after this shitshow is over.  This marriage wont work. She wont even kiss the guy.  Most of my 1st dates, I kiss the girl. Even if we dont work out. 

To be fair to Myrla- she did ask for a non-bald, rich guy, that didnt have dogs.  So you cant blame her for that.  That is all Pastor Cal's fault.

5) Brett and ????- When I lived in Houston, I worked with guys exactly like ??? dude. Down to the dress. Its definitely what is expected if you work in Oil and Gas.  I worked for two O&G  giants when I was in Houston.  Everybody dressed like ??? dude. Not only was I expected to wear a suit and tie at work, but when I wasnt working i was expected to dress a certain conservative way too- like the ??? dude with Brett. ??? dude always looks bummed out.  I'll give him props for not totally staring at her boobs. Brett is interesting.  I didnt like her wedding dress, but she has great boobs. Did she have a bra on? She had amazing hair and a nice smile, and gorgeous eyes.   I fell asleep before she took off her makeup, so I dont know what she really looks like.  But she looked good to me at the wedding. The thing she did where she pointed at her ears and ordered him to listen, I didnt find that sexy at all. She doesnt like hunting. Or ranch stuff.  That is what is expected in Texas. Hunting, fishing, ranching.  Not things that I am interested in.  Neither is Brett.

I lived in Houston and never bought cowboy boots and learned the two-step.  I am not a country guy, and neither if Brett.  I wonder what type of music she listens to,  Hip-hop, rap?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

You have an obvious fondness for Houston even though y'all left it in your rear window....ex🤠

Cleaning up on Aisle 3 at the HEB.....

Rachel is a 5th grade teacher who lives in Rosenberg and teaches in the Galleria area and is married to her bearded (double meaning intended) shortie rocket man....

Gonna give Rachel props for dropping 35 pounds since getting dumped from her last soul sucking relationship only 6 months previously.

If she didn't have bad luck then she'd have no luck at all....poor girl is married to the man she insulted in the worst way...dissing his Looks which he translates into she is not (sexually) attracted to him.

That hurtful ego boo boo will cost her honeymoon sex and bjs....

Myrla must have thought she gonna get a man who worships at her Loubo feet on MAFS....girl didn't do her homework (she teaches principals leadership...jokes are writing themselves) because none of those have been cast on MAFS except Doug and he has chronic joblessness and Bobby and even he put Danielle on an eyebrow budget.

Ryan, the oil man looks/dresses/acts exactly like the other oil men you meet at the Happy Hour on Friday in Galveston...except he isn't married and from Kansas City...Missouri and Kansas.

Ryman's personality has yet to be seen, the field cameras in his face makes him clam up.

Ryan grew up going to his grandparent's place but other than dove and deer hunting with the family he rather golf.

Brett's shushing Ryan was an annoying reflex, the teacher in her slipped out, no harm no foul because of her nice chesticles.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Hey Myrna, why didnt you kiss the guy?  It seems like the women on this thread would take him home. 

Something i snot right about her. 

Jenga!

Myrla is snotty.

Looking through her double fake lashes down her nose at the everything and everyone on MAFS.

She wore her coveted 9K wedding dress on camera...that's all she cared about.

Betcha she waves her credit card to upgrade her plane seat to at least Business Economy, leaving Gil and the others in the cheapo seats.

Wonder if she will do the same for her honeymoon lodgings...skip over to the spoiler thread...

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Jenga!

Myrla is snotty.

Looking through her double fake lashes down her nose at the everything and everyone on MAFS.

She wore her coveted 9K wedding dress on camera...that's all she cared about.

Betcha she waves her credit card to upgrade her plane seat to at least Business Economy, leaving Gil and the others in the cheapo seats.

Wonder if she will do the same for her honeymoon lodgings...skip over to the spoiler thread...

She grew up very poor, so she doesnt understand what rich is.  She thinks it is just material things.  I know someone worth $400M who drives a Prius. She seems like she is buying expensive things to show off to other people. You are right.  I do have a fondness for Houston, but i could not be my authentic self until I moved to LA. Great food though, and the cost of living is amazing. After I was dumped by my ex-wife, I hit the dating scene in Houston.  Had I seen Myrla at a lounge, I would have not talked to her or gotten her number.  She is very average to me and her personality would bore me. I would have talked to Brett. I have a soft spot for teachers.  I would have talked to Bao, thought culturally that might not have worked. Maybe I might have talked to the Melania, if she looked the same way she did at the wedding. The other two, woman- no.  The only guy that I would hang out with is Jonny.  The rest seem boring to me.

• Love 6
(edited)

G. Stud- Lucky you found your happy place. Know lots of ex Texans who land on their feet in LA. Spread out like Houston, it is warm but without the humidity and mosquitos. No good Tex Mex food in LA, unfortunately and why the hell not?

Myrla's story line will be that an abused, poor girl grew up into affording and paying for her own Marie Antoinette lifestyle because she can't find her King Louis....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2

what rich is.

Rich is all kinds of different things. So is poor. And everything in between. 

I think Myrla likes high end, expensive things. I don't blame her. I do too. I'm a sucker for designer bags - the classic ones; not the trendy ones that are dated within a season or less. They are made from beautiful materials and the workmanship is incredible. But I know what I can afford. I don't skimp on food or retirement savings to buy them and I don't have credit card debt. Maybe Myrla doesn't either - I don't know. What bothers me about her is my sense that she spends beyond her means and also her feeling that she shouldn't have to compromise on her lifestyle now that she is married. Sure, she works hard and earns her money. But when you're half a couple, you're going to have shared financial goals as well and I don't think she understands that. Honestly, I think she wants a husband as an accessory, like a designer bag, and not an actual marriage and partnership.

• Love 14
(edited)
17 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Honestly, I think she wants a husband as an accessory, like a designer bag, and not an actual marriage and partnership.

Gil is a Coach Carrie Backpack…sturdy, functional, no frills

Johnny is red Hermes Birkin or maybe a Chanel bamboo handled bag…classical, little flashy, clean design

Zach is a Louis Vuitton Nano Lockme Bucketz…fun, young, on trend

Jose is a Kate Spade bought online at Costco.com…budget minded, popular design 5 years ago

Ryan is a Collins purse...if you know what these iconic Texan purses are then howdy neighbor...🤠

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I was thinking that Myrla earned a paycheck and spent it how she wanted,  which is what she was talking about. It’s what she does about money moving forward as part of a couple that counts. So here’s $5 says she remains the same and $10 that says she never has the reasonable discussion with Gil about how they can merge, budget, etc. in their marriage.🤣🤣🤣 Can’t wait til Gil’s family gets an earful of that. This show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

One has to wonder if Myrla can afford the lifestyle she lives or if she’s in debt up to her ass. She’s an educator, I’ve looked up the organization she works for, and frankly, don’t understand it. Also, never heard of it…lifelong Texan and current Houstonian here. I just don’t see her and Gil being able to navigate how truly different their priorities seem (at this point). He’s not even with HFD (it’s a smaller dept); I don’t know if that means he makes more or less, but it’s probably not a tremendous amount of money.

Edited by CSunshine76
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Why does Myrla’s brother have complete visibility of her finances? Is he a financial advisor or CPS? I have a feeling he’s going to be way overly involved in their marriage too. 
I wonder if they were matched because of the traumatic nature of their fathers’ deaths because nothing else makes sense. 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Why does Myrla’s brother have complete visibility of her finances? Is he a financial advisor or CPS? I have a feeling he’s going to be way overly involved in their marriage too. 
I wonder if they were matched because of the traumatic nature of their fathers’ deaths because nothing else makes sense. 

Agree! Does he manage them because she can’t? Very strange. And that little dude is gonna tell hunky Gil he’ll have to answer to him? Bwahahahaha! I’m sure Gil is shaking in his firefighting boots.

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

I’m having a hard time buying that Ryan dates hot model types. I don’t find him attractive and he grossed me out going to bed without a shirt especially since Brett was covered up. He doesn’t even have the personality and sense of humor to make up for it. He is so awkward and has this deer in headlights look and I cringed when he was having brunch with her parents. He needs to stop talking about redheads and how they’re either ugly or gorgeous. It’s really offensive and inappropriate to say that to her dad and talk about how great the wedding night was so you’re not giving that up. Brett could do much better. He’s the potato, not the girls he dated. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

If someone said Myrla was 45, I wouldn't blink.

I basically said this 2 weeks ago. Ditto!!

I like JLOadjacent's coat. Run Gil. This woman's  demeanor reads strictly "not happening".

Edited by karenbrady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

That was CUTE. "No no no, you can't have babies that way".

28 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

That was just a tad creepy to me. Plus his delivery didn't help. Weird.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Straycat80 said:

Is she a true redhead? Her roots look black or brunette. 

I don't think she's a natural redhead.  I think Ryan knows that and he likes natural redheads, but not Brett's harsh, fake color.  I don't like her hair color either, but he shouldn't have brought up the redheads discussion with her parents.    

• Love 8

This show is making me sad. When family members are all, don’t hurt our person, and you know most of these marriages, sts, aren’t going to work.

Bao and Johnny are so good together. But (no spoilers, just MAFS track record), I’m feeling like those families.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

That was nice Zack’s Dad danced with her at the reception because her Dad wasn’t there (deceased). 

It's bordering on unforgivable that the producers didn't tell the DJ or whoever not to announce a father-daughter dance for Michaela.  I wonder if the same thing happened at Myrla's wedding.  Jesus.

53 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

At the reception, her friend told Ryan that she's not a real redhead. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

One has to wonder if Myrla can afford the lifestyle she lives or if she’s in debt up to her ass. She’s an educator, I’ve looked up the organization she works for, and frankly, don’t understand it.

Apparently, they have coaches in several cities near me, and I've never heard of them, either! 

Junior told Gil that Myrla saves before she spends. Myrla said she focuses on making as much money as possible. So while the average thirty-something educator may not be able to afford designer shoes, Myrla may make enough to afford her lifestyle. Especially, if she doesn't spend as much as some imagine.

Bao was touching Johnny quite a bit for someone who hates physical touch. 

Edited by Rae Spellman
  • Love 4

I like them all so far.  Jose is better than I thought.  He’s talkative, funny, and has a good attitude.  Not shy like I thought.  I didn’t like her family telling him all her faults right off the bat.  That was nasty.

Burn the pjs Myrla.  You are in a tropical place on an island during Covid.  Stop complaining about everything.  Fireman is a nice guy.  Have some drinks, hop in the sack and maybe you will feel better as you are all wound up.

Jonny and Baw are adorable.  Both are nice to one another.  Respect.

I like Brett.  She thanked him for comforting her on the plane.  Smart.  They really seem to want marriage.

Michaela seems ok so far but it’s early.

Money seems like the main issue already with all of them.  You just got married.  Enjoy each other first, then figure it out.  Everything will fall into place as time goes by.  This isn’t a business deal, it’s a marriage.  Get to know one another first.  Don’t ruin it by talking about money just yet.

Myrla is too much already.  She wants her way all the time.  Btw, her eyelashes suck.  Stop being a pain in the ass.  You are 35 yrs old.  You got a good guy.  Appreciate him.  Show him something and stop whining about everything.   Be nice. You are not all that like you think.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's bordering on unforgivable that the producers didn't tell the DJ or whoever not to announce a father-daughter dance for Michaela.  I wonder if the same thing happened at Myrla's wedding.  Jesus.

At the reception, her friend told Ryan that she's not a real redhead. 

SERIOUSLY! I remember this happening in a past season.  You give a wedding DJ a list of special dances…if the producers did this intentionally, it’s really crappy. If a parent is not there for any reason (and God forbid because they are deceased), how about scrapping parent dances altogether? That’s what normal people do. Freaking shit stirring Producers!!

Edited by CSunshine76
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

What the bloody hell was Michaela wearing on "Unfiltered"---the $2 Bin Special at Frederick's of Hollywood?!

Looked like some sort of bondage outfit.

OTOH.....Jamie is still in the same dress/jacket that shows way too much thigh and the arms on that jacket are like sausage casing. On Couples Cam tonight, she was squeezing into some dresses and her daughter asked if she had a baby in her belly. Scene leading up to that, she mentioned she gained some baby weight and she gave birth a year prior. She's had a year to either 1) do something about the baby weight or 2) buy some freaking clothes that fit. If you are going to be so "pro body positive", quit trying to squeeze into clothes like you're on the Bachelor. Embrace the Mom Bod and dress in appropriately fitting clothes.

• Love 16

Bao is a very beautiful woman. feminine and petite. Johnny seems like a gentleman. Seems like a solid couple. Will have problems most couples do.

Michaela is my favorite this season. Upbeat, smart positive cute in the best of ways. Looks like their marriage might get tested if her spouse has Covid on their honeymoon. Hey they never last forever.

I wonder if Lewis asked for a shorter woman? I get weird vibes from them.

Brett has just about checked out when he admits this is a woman he wouldn't date anymore. And I don't think he's attracted to her to boot. It will be a struggle to make it 8 weeks.

I vote Myrla and Gil least likely to succeed. When it comes down to importance money is only second to sex and in some cases not even that. There no escaping that problem. She's right about the place their staying at for someone used to 5 star...its about a 3 1/2. 

This season is the most average looking couples yet.

• Love 2

Once more, with feeling---Their names:

Bao--Johnny.

Myrla (High Maintenance?)--Gil (Bald).

Rachel--Jose (the Short Neatnik)

Michaela--Zack.

Brett (Boy's Name Bride)--Ryan .

I can understand Myrla's disappointment with the honeymoon resort, with rockers that say "elderly" to her. I would've chosen something more upscale myself, and I don't have the network's budget. As for not kissing her husband, well, it's unusual but nonetheless her prerogative. Marla isn't convinced that her ambition, goals, and values are compatible with Gil's vision of his future, so why get romantic? Shades of Tom of the Bus and Go-Getter Lillian.  

What was weird to me was that not only were their fathers slain, but that Myrla and Gil could speak of their tragedies with equanimity. 

I think Ryan is handsome (reminder: I'm female!), but I'm over his passive-aggressive facial expressions of disappointment and consternation. First with Brett's reluctance to do something she didn't know how to, for her first wedding dance; and now with her quite common and something I share Fear of Flying (after decades of trips to Europe I finally told my husband that my white knuckles and I simply couldn't get on another plane. And haven't in the ensuing twenty years.). 

And Brett is supposed to draw Ryan "out of his shell"? Maybe he should consider going back in!

Rachel seems much happier than her initial comments to Jose suggested. Perhaps she remembered her life before MAFS. Jose told her to brush her teeth? Oof. The condom scene was icky (just like anal sex is to TMI Johnny!).

Michaela. Her choice of attire for "Unfiltered" paired with the preview that showed not only her being enraged but also being given a look of disdain by Zack, blares "I'm single again."

I pack for a vacation exactly as Bao does, with a list detailing the outfits per day (of a 40-Day vacation I could tell you where we would be eating lunch on, say, Day 35. Planning is my thing. 😇)

Bao and Johnny FTW.  Because.....(drum roll).....they weren't strangers!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Unfiltered: Jose, Michaela, Johnny, JamieO

Finally, a lively panel thanks to all 3 cast members getting the memo to be animated and be able to laugh at yourself.

Johnny and Michaela are no holds barred emotionally, embracing the cringe with Jose dipping his toe cautiously into the pool.

Jose channeling Tom Jones….heavy crucifix on a chain, unbuttoned to the waist shirt and zipped ankle boots.

Jose and Michaela may share a waxer but couldn’t find the technician’s signature hairy heart left on his (over) exposed chest like Michaela reports she has on her lady parts.

Find out Zack knows where “town” is and Johnny and Anastasia Grey share a favorite ice cream flavor.

Gonna give JOtis props for a good episode of Unfiltered, but it was Michaela and Johnny that brought the juice. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

She is not a natural redhead. That color is straight from a bottle!  Her roots needed to be done. Couldn't they have been colored for the wedding??

I guess between her plunging dress and tattoos, who would notice?

• Love 6

I’m really loving Jose and what’s her name.  I love the way they banter back forthwith each other like they’ve been married awhile.  They look very comfortable together.  Jose is really surprising me.  In a good way.  They just might turn out to be my favorite couple.

• Love 6

Myrla is a 34-year-old woman who proudly admitted to "throwing tantrums" and complained about a free vacation. No thank you.

I wonder if Gil ever looked at his friend Jeannette romantically. She's beautiful.

Ryan told Brett's parents (Brett looks like her dad) that redheads are either beautiful or ugly and couldn't be bothered to ask any questions about her. Yikes. I'm trying to extend him leeway because he's grieving, but ...

I agree with whoever said it was unforgivable that the DJ asked Michaela to come to the dance floor for the father/daughter first dance, and Zach's dad was a class act for dancing with her. That was a nice moment between them at the brunch when she thanked him for it.

Totally knew Michaela and Zach would have sex first. I think Rachel and Jose will be next.

• Love 11

Ok .. I take something back.  I don’t like Myrla. She just met the friends and said she was “ moody”.  Too effin bad.  Get un moody ASAP.  If you can’t put your best foot forward, get the hell away from him now.  You are 35 years old.  Stop being a diva and be thankful you have a decent guy.  Get rid of those stupid lashes too.  Are they your priority?  The pajamas too.  Are you sending a message to stay away?  Grow the F up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I don't care for Myrla at all, but her early family life sounds horrific. Myrla's mother was 15 when Myrla was born. Add to that the abject poverty and the terrible murder her father. I don't like it, but I completely understand why her personality is so fucked up.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I really hate that every damn season they get a dude that has a super bland personality and/or struggle to keep conversations. It's the most boring shit to watch. Ryan is that person this year. Funny enough, Ryan was that person last year. And Jacob wasn't the most talkative guy either. 

• Love 6

Jamie on Unfiltered:  In the 24 hours you were first married to Doug, did you use handcuffs?  Stupid bitch.  Who asks that to a newly married couple?  Or any couple for that matter.  I just can’t stand her and her stupid questions.  Grow up already.  Get a new pair of shoes already, and sit like a lady for once.  You have cottage cheese thighs.  Is she the Queen of Lifetime now?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Jose told her to brush her teeth?

I think they were just discussing that Jose brought his electric toothbrush and Rachel said she has one but didn't bring it to travel. So, Jose offered to brush HER teeth for her, which was yucky, and seemed to freak her out. But, the point is, he was not telling her to brush her teeth. She was brushing them with a manual brush.

By the way, WAY too much teeth brushing and bathroom stuff, as usual. I missed the last 20 minutes, but so far, this season is as boring and a waste of time, as it has been the last few seasons. Too many people, season too long, and episodes have to fill too long a time slot and they have nothing to work with.

• Love 10

Myrla deserves love but to trot out her impoverished rough start childhood and unimaginable family tragedy for a basic cable show is just not right.

She should have never been cast.

Exploiting human suffering is low.

She gets a pass from me for her moods, her hissy fits, her nattering criticisms because she walked out a survivor from circumstances that she had no control over.

But her flannel lumberjack gowns are still snark bait. She bought 6...one for each night of her honeymoon....

If she has to lavish purses, shoes, designer clothes, facials, weekly lashes on her psyche then so be it.

Too bad for Gil who got a raw deal and married a woman who wants to but can never trust a man to share a life.

• Love 5

I like JLOadjacent's coat. Run Gil. This woman's  demeanor reads strictly "not happening".

I liked it too except that she never took it off. Sit down and stay awhile, Myrla.

On that note, though, I couldn't help compare Bao's "meet the family" outfit, which I loved, to Myrla's, which pretty clearly said "I'm doing this because they're making me." 

I don't care for Myrla at all, but her early family life sounds horrific. Myrla's mother was 15 when Myrla was born. Add to that the abject poverty and the terrible murder her father. I don't like it, but I completely understand why her personality is so fucked up.

I'm trying to like Myrla and having no success whatsoever. I just don't like her. After Gil told her the horrific story about hearing his father murdered in the next room, she couldn't even stir up an "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m having a hard time buying that Ryan dates hot model types. I don’t find him attractive and he grossed me out going to bed without a shirt especially since Brett was covered up. He doesn’t even have the personality and sense of humor to make up for it. He is so awkward and has this deer in headlights look and I cringed when he was having brunch with her parents. He needs to stop talking about redheads and how they’re either ugly or gorgeous. It’s really offensive and inappropriate to say that to her dad and talk about how great the wedding night was so you’re not giving that up. Brett could do much better. He’s the potato, not the girls he dated. 

Agreed but how come Bretts here on this show if she could do better?

I ask the same question of all of them.  Why here and now?

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice the brides wedding rings? They all had a wide silver band that look sorta of like men's rings.

Other seasons had thinner bands with diamond chips.

I was trying to see the groom's rings but couldn't tell. It looked Gill has his ring on the the pinky finger.

• Love 2