Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Sutton's Gotta Give

• Start Topic

As the Tahoe getaway continues, Sutton and Crystal’s colorful disagreement comes to a head — only to go off the rails again when Sutton feels alienated from the group. Garcelle's bold opinion of a Hilton family member shocks Kyle and Kathy. Dorit gets down and dirty during a rare night out on the town, while Lisa and Erika prank a prankster.

Airdate: 06/02/2021

Please limit your discussion to events that occur in this episode.  Real time events are spoilers and belong in the media or individual housewife threads.  

4 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

her drinking red bull at 1 am thinking its just like soda 

I got a flashback of her daughter, Paris, on the Simple Life thinking they sold walls at Wal-Mart. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, bosawks said:

Guzzling a martini is my own personal nightmare.

Chugging martinis - yikes. I love my gin martinis but you should never chug them because the olives need to marinate in the gin for a while.

• Love 4

Sutton is like the black cloud over this group. She needs to loosen up and have some fun. 
It was nice for once seeing everyone have dinner together and it not turning into a screaming fight. 

• Love 18

Dumb. And Dumber.  Can we just get on with it??  You know the witches are looking for somebody. ANYBODY!  They were about to nail Garcelle but I think she might be onto their reindeer games.

Sutton??? Not so much.  Not the brightest bulb on the old Christmas tree.  Just say'n.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

That prank and reverse prank was everything a prank should be.  Regardless of what Sutton was saying or felt, it was a victimless prank.  It was light hearted.  In the end, the target was the original prankster.  

Not everyone knew at the same time.  When it came around to informing Sutton, instead of getting excited she was let in on the joke, she chose to play victim for not being informed sooner. And she blamed Crystal, the person who informed her. 

Sutton may be awkward but her tears were manipulative and they were aimed directly at the person of color who dared to think Sutton capable of being racist, saying something racist or believing something racist.  She even said that "the word racist" was the worst thing ever...worse than COVID.  I thought calling it a "word" instead of referring to the system of racism was so interesting. She's not just a "I don't see color" kind of person; she's arguably something worse.  She's a "being called a racist is worse than racism" kind of person. 

Weaponizing tears to look like the victim is a technique as old as time and she uses it because it works.  Even Kyle was susceptible to it when she said that she felt Crystal was being hard on Sutton.  I disagree.  I think Crystal gave Sutton multiple chances.  She was going to explain why "I see color" was outdated but Kyle and Sutton talked over her before Kyle, finally, told Crystal she'd let her speak.  

The next day, Crystal tried to have a conversation with Sutton about it and Sutton still made it about her.  

Crystal tried to let Sutton in on the prank so she wouldn't be left out and, instead of appreciating the effort, she was mad at her.  

She's trying to make it seem like she's a victim to Crystal's bullying so if Crystal ever tries insinuating that Sutton might unintentionally buy into a racist system again, it'll be dismissed as part of a bullying pattern instead of identifying something that might have a kernel of truth to it. 

All Sutton needed to do is actually listen to Crystal instead of acting defensive.  That's how you show you can be a mature woman about racial issues. 

On a lighter note, it cracks me up that Lisa and Garcelle are usually the two people who are punctual and on time and therefore get stuck together even with the issues between them waiting for the others.   "Look at that beam."  Heh.

I agree with everything you said! I have to admit I hated Crystal and liked Sutton in the first episode. But now the tables have turned. Crystal was trying to bring Sutton in on the joke, and Sutton totally misunderstood and weirdly played the victim role. It was honestly super strange. 

• Love 18

Sutton is old enough to know better.

These people are not her friends. She must be doing this show because of her ego because she doesn’t need the money.

They are going to rip her to shreds and production is behind it. That’s why they had the call from Crystal to her friends trashing Sutton. That’s the plan this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Thanks for the clarification about Crystal’s age. I think I was confused because of her comment tonight and because she previously mentioned being so much younger than her husband. Truthfully, I didn’t think he looked older than her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Crystal had nothing to do with the joke other than letting Sutton in on it.  Sutton was being a big baby.  This is just silly. It wasn’t even a mean prank.

Kathy is hilarious with the chips and RedBull.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

The prank thing was equally ridiculous. First of all, Krystal was not let in on the prank either or being texted to. As Garcelle noted, she just figured out what was going on without anyone telling her. And it's clear that she was actually trying to warmly engage with Sutton, whispering to her and sort of doing a wink, wink nudge and Suttons' nutty self took things personally. Because she's ball of raging insecurity. Even Kyle kept telling her she needed to calm the fuck down.

Ironically, Dorit (child of the world!) also offered her an assist when Erika didn't agree with her theory that white Southerners are constantly assumed to be racist. She suggested that maybe Erika didn't have that experience because her accent wasn't as strong as Sutton's so people didn't immediately know she was from the South. Unfortunately she suggested this was because Erika had spent less time there and lived other "multicultural" places most of her life, and Sutton took that to mean Dorit thinks she's from some hick town she left 3 days ago!  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 16

She didn’t get ripped to shreds.

But it is coming soon.

You can see it coming from a mile away. Just the way you saw it with Denise last year after the barbecue.

• Love 12

but we've seen the way some of the others treated Denise and LVP. Those two both have very strong self-esteem and are very confident socially. They were still picked on to the point of tears and wanted out.

I always thought LVP quit because the others were calling her out for her bullshit and she just couldn't take it being called out for it. And ran away from having to deal with that (Throw me to the wolves, and I run away with my tail between my legs).

Sutton may be awkward but her tears were manipulative and they were aimed directly at the person of color who dared to think Sutton capable of being racist, saying something racist or believing something racist.  She even said that "the word racist" was the worst thing ever...worse than COVID.  I thought calling it a "word" instead of referring to the system of racism was so interesting. She's not just a "I don't see color" kind of person; she's arguably something worse.  She's a "being called a racist is worse than racism" kind of person. 

Weaponizing tears to look like the victim is a technique as old as time and she uses it because it works.  Even Kyle was susceptible to it when she said that she felt Crystal was being hard on Sutton.  I disagree.  I think Crystal gave Sutton multiple chances.  She was going to explain why "I see color" was outdated but Kyle and Sutton talked over her before Kyle, finally, told Crystal she'd let her speak.  

I do want to like Sutton, but...she is making it hard. And yeah, a "being called a racist is worse than racism" kind of person...white fragility at it's finest.

She's trying to make it seem like she's a victim to Crystal's bullying so if Crystal ever tries insinuating that Sutton might unintentionally buy into a racist system again, it'll be dismissed as part of a bullying pattern instead of identifying something that might have a kernel of truth to it. 

Exactly.

The idea that Sutton is being "ripped to shreds" because a). she jumped all over Crystal when Crystal was trying to offer her experience as a person of color and b). she jumped all over Crystal because Crystal was trying to let her in on a joke is... an interesting one.

In both of those cases, Sutton started the drama. There would have been none had she not overreacted to two situations that weren't about her.

Yeah I can see this being the theme this season...Sutton starting shit, then crying about how those nasty women are ganging up on her and trying to rip her to shreds because white woman tears or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Watching now.  Dorit proclaiming she is a “child of the world,” which makes her SO much above anything racist, you know.  Ugh.

Erika's an awful human being, but her facial expression when Door-it said that was priceless. Child of the world. GTFOH, bitch you're from Connecticut.

I don't feel remotely sorry for Sutton. My opinion is that she's playing it up for screentime and feels she needs to earn that diamond this year, and thinks picking fights with the newbie is the way to go. And seeing how emotional she gets makes her look like an even bigger asshole than I originally thought for the way she treated Teddi last year.

This may be the lamest "To Be Continued..." cliffhanger I've ever seen.

Seeing how... weird... Kathy is makes me wonder how Kyle ended up so relatively well adjusted. She’s neurotic at times but her sisters both seem to have barely matured into adulthood.

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 16