Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sacrament

• Start Topic

(edited)

SEASON FINALE!

Mare's investigation takes a series of devastating turns, while her friends and family members process the fallout as she attempts to finally find her own way forward.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/30/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

HBO Description

When her investigation takes a series of devastating turns, Mare's friends and family members process the fallout as she attempts to finally find her own way forward.

1 minute ago, Pike Ludwell said:

HBO Max outage in my area. First time ever I haven't been able to log on.  Probably because so many signing on to see Mare -- they can't handle it.

We are out too (Massachusetts)

(edited)
18 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Wait: Who moved Erin's dead body from the park, stripped it, and laid it out at the creek?

John & Billy. Ryan came home after he killed Erin and told his dad what had happened. Then John called Billy to come help him move Erin's body and stage her death at a different location. 

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 10
(edited)

While John was trash I had this feeling he wasn't the killer. Ryan being the killer was a surprise but not a huge shock.  I still don't like Dylan and him saving money for D.J. was nice but he still sucked lol.

The finale did feel like it was dragging on at some parts but only because they were trying to wrap everything up. I do feel they wrapped up all they could. Mare was in a better place with members of her family now. She had custody of Drew. Guy Pearce was literally a love interest and nothing else lol. Richard didn't really do anything lol. 

This was a good watch and while not perfect I am glad I watched this. For me them killing off Evan Peters will always be a strike against the show lol.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
7 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

Maybe we all got too worked up about this. I mean, it was good, but all the speculation ended up spoiling it for me.

I tried to stay away from speculation. I remember quite a few people were convinced Zabel planted the drugs on Carrie even though it made no sense lol. It's fun to speculate but people definitely overspeculate at times.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

So why did Dylan threaten Jess with a gun?

I cried during the arresting of Ryan section. 

Yeah, that whole Dylan/diary thing ended up being a plot hole.

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

So why did Dylan threaten Jess with a gun?

I cried during the arresting of Ryan section. 

Not sure why Dylan threatened Jess, other than he's a bit of a psycho. We also didn't find out who was running the prostitution site/ring. I would have sworn it was Dylan.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Norma Desmond said:

As soon as it was obvious John's story had holes, I knew he was covering for either Ryan or Lori.

So, is John a free man now?

Mare had to do what was right, even if it meant arresting her best friend's son. As Lor said "you had John". But it ws pretty great that the duty of being a cop and arresting the true killer were more important to her than protecting Lori for the sake of their friendship.  Hope Ryan isn't charged as an adult (all things seem to indicate he won't).

And it ends with Lori starting the healing process.

All in all, it was pretty fantastic. Less about the crime and more about the lives of Mare and the Easttown folks.

Hope there's a seson 2.

John still had sex with a minor. That would mean jail time, though he probably got less than if he'd killed her.  

• Love 21
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Dessert said:

Zabel died in vain.

In Pennsyl-VAIN-ia.  😃 (I am so sorry.) 

Maybe in a mystery/thriller the penultimate episode is always more thrilling than the ending. I have to think about that.  In Breaking Bad, the last episode was as thrilling as anything before it, but that wasn't a who-dunnit; it was a how's-he-gonna-do-it?

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

Whoever picked Ryan as the killer, kudos. I kind of wondered about it last week when John said they could never let Mare know and Lori cracked immediately and told her about Billy and where they were. It seemed they were protecting someone then. 

Great show. Really enjoyed it! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

So, is John a free man now?

My sister and I just talked about that. Her take is John still had sex with a minor, so he's probably still in jail for that.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 6

I’m still processing the finale. It was the complete destruction of one extended family because John is a selfish, disturbed SOB.

Cameron Mann’s performance broke my heart. Such a marvelous young actor!

My only point of dissatisfaction with the finale is about Dylan’s role. He is clearly a “troubled teen” but the show never defined the character. Perhaps that’s best left to the viewers.

Every character was a given a measure of closure and the ability to take the next step forward in their life, however painful that would be.

Kate, Jean and Julianne were outstanding in these their roles but that’s no surprise. They are always wonderful!

• Love 17

Poor Mare. I enjoyed Kate Winslet and Jean Smart a lot.

So Lori does not get any jail time  for obstruction or some other offense ? Are her husband and brother-in-law in jail? It’s frustrating to me that these issues weren’t answered.

I hope the turtle is OK.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I enjoyed this a lot so I’m sorry to quibble at all but in addition to sharing everyone’s confusion about Dylan and the ominous seeming pact the teens had, I also don’t get the locket. The receipt showed Billy bought it but why would he? John bought it but gave Billy’s name at the store? 

• Love 9
(edited)

2 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

I enjoyed this a lot so I’m sorry to quibble at all but in addition to sharing everyone’s confusion about Dylan and the ominous seeming pact the teens had, I also don’t get the locket. The receipt showed Billy bought it but why would he? John bought it but gave Billy’s name at the store? 

Wasn't the name in the receipt ROSS? I don't remember seeing the first name (I may be wrong).

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Love 14
(edited)

We may never know what the point of Dylan destroying Erin's diary was, but it did provide Jess the opportunity to find the incriminating photograph.

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

And Dylan’s parents just handed over the kid to Lori, who had literally no more biological claim to him than they did? That was bizarre to me. 

John is the father so handing the baby over to his biological father’s family (Lori) is not “no biological claim.” 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

2 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

Wasn't the name in the receipt ROSS? I don't remember seeing the first name (I may be wrong).

There were two receipts. The one on the left says “Billy Ross.” The one on the right just says “Ross.”

I guess that John bought it using Billy’s name. I imagine that he wanted to avoid any possibility that it could be tracked back to him (a married man). Sigh...maybe  there were other things that he should have been worried about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I thought Ryan was involved somehow but didn't get the how.  I thought it was weird he pulled a gun on her to protect his family even though she was a literal member of his family.

• Love 4
(edited)

I liked the finale nit continued to highlight Mare’s ups and downs. 

I could be wrong but I thought Mare deleted all the videos from the Carroll household camera in order to cover for Beth’s brother. That would have been after the night of Erin’s murder. 

edit: it looks like she just deleted that one day although the list of videos looks different. 

Edited by Dminches
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

I had the exact same face as the chief when John blathered on about his “connection” with Erin.

Yup.   "Hey, I had sex with my underage cousin because of our deep connection".  Slimy, creepy, POS.

I kinda wish they had gone with Ryan is a budding psychopath rather than Ryan was just disturbed and angry.  Or that they had gone with Lori as the shooter.  It kind of felt to me that they were twisting it up just to twist it up there and it doesn't quite work for me.

It does seem odd that DJ would be with Lori; that seemed to happen rather quickly.  I would have preferred he stay with Dylan's parents. Time passes quickly on this show, which I appreciate, but that didn't quite ring true for me.  I know there's only so much time in an episode and they're not going to have long scenes regarding custody but would that really happen?  Also, Dylan threatened Jess just over burning the journals??  I can buy that they burned them to protect her memory and so the baby would stay with his parents but the aftermath - again, why?  Dylan's just a violent asshole?   I did believe he cared about DJ but his characterization was off.

Carrie using again did feel true to me.  She would have been scared after the tub incident and there's too much temptation out in the world. 

I'm glad that Richard was just Richard.  I never thought he was involved in the murder anyway.

Oh and I couldn't start watching until a half hour after it started.  Get your shit together, HBO.

15 minutes ago, marinite said:

Are her husband and brother-in-law in jail?

They should both be in jail for covering up Erin's death.  There was a comment that Billy made a full confession and would be out next summer.  I am relieved to know that Billy wasn't sleeping with Erin.  John did pull a gun on Billy so he should remain in jail for that as well.

I did wonder about Lori but I guess a good lawyer could get her probation + needing to be home with the kids.

I don't love the resolution but I did really enjoy the series.  The acting was top notch. 

• Love 10

John as the murder was a little too pat.  But I would have been okay with it if that's where they ended up.

Still if his main crime was having an affair with Erin and trying to cover up the murderer, why was he considering killing Billy or himself over it?  Maybe just to have another little cliffhanger, with Mare coming to the rescue?

BTW, she has one good hand and she kept John from reaching the gun?

In Inside the Episode, Kate Winslett said she loved the script and one reason was that each episode ended with a cliffhanger.  I don't know if that's good writing or just a good way to hook the viewers into keep watching.

They obviously threw a lot of red herrings and potential suspects, Deacon Mark, Dylan, Potts, etc.  Again, maybe that captivates some viewers because it keeps them guessing in a whodunnit.

Or maybe, they were given a spec, to produce an hour an episode of content and maybe at least a half dozen episodes, so they had to load it up with these other possible suspects, as well as the family and community scenes.

The case itself may be simple.  Usually murderers knew the victim and they didn't recover the murder weapon with John Ross so the thing would be to search his family and look for people who would have that specific type of gun.  Who were the former cops living in the town for instance?  As opposed to what they did, which was to have Mare happen to learn that Mr. Carroll was a former cop who owned that specific type of gun.

So it case could have been wrapped up in 3 or 4 episodes but they also layered in these previous cases of the missing young women.

Still despite all these manipulative mise en scene elements -- remember the suspense about Drew drowning or Jesse being abducted by Dylan -- it was engrossing TV.

Temptation would be to do more seasons but how many more serious crimes is this little community likely to have?  It appears the Katie Bailey and Erin McMenamin cases were two of the most notable in Mare's career.

Plus I think they really used up how her personal circumstances affected her work as well as her life in general around the time of these cases.  Can they build up more about how her personal life informs what kind of a cop she is in another season?  The ending scene was closure as she goes up into that attic.  Maybe as the therapist mentioned, she might move to another town.  Or at least to another house, if they were to do another season.

Mare seemed to patch things up with Lori, though how does she just walk into the home there at the end?

But she can't have another case where her closest friends are involved again.  One the one hand, she's not happy that Lori lied to her, obstructed her investigation.  But OTOH, she arrests her best friend's young son.

It would be better if any future cases didn't involve people she knew all her life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

And what was up with Dylan not being home, as per his ex gf Brianna (think that's her name) the night of Erin's murder? When Brianna questioned him and he became really angry and told her to go the F home? Where was he and why was he so angry at being questioned? Was that explained? And then Dylan, who's been shot bc Erin's father mistakenly believes him to be her killer turns out to be Mr Nice guy and contributes to DJ's ear surgery? The same Dylan who stood by while Brianna beat the crap out of Erin, the supposed mother of his child? Right...

There are too many still unfinished moving pieces in this show. I loved a lot of the performances but the writing had too much filler and too many holes. 

Edited by Laurawithcats
Comma
  • Love 19
6 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

The name on the receipt just said "Ross" so John's the one that bought it but Mare thought it was Billy back when they thought Billy was the one who molested Erin.

I just feel very underwhelmed by the finale.  Having John immediately get arrested in the first five minutes was way too big a tip off that he didn't do it.  Didn't see the Ryan reveal coming though, I thought for sure it was going to be Lori.  Speaking of Lori, pretty sure she'd be up on some charges.  Also, why in the hell is she raising Erin's son?  She has no biological ties to the kid, was married to the man that molested his mom and her son murdered his mom (which she covered up) so no, I don't think she's the best candidate for that job.  Honestly, I kept thinking she was going to harm DJ in some way, especially after Jean Smart gave her speech about taking out her frustrations with her husband out on her kids.  Pretty sure Dylan would have been able to fight for custody since he's on the birth certificate and has a documented history of taking care of DJ.  I could stomach the rest of the finale (as lackluster and drag outey as it was) but that just kinda makes me want to vomit.  That and the fact that no one pointed out to John during his arrest, interrogation or trial that he had molested his cousin!  Why wasn't that addressed when he was going on about he and Erin's "special connection"?  When he was blathering on about that, I literally said aloud, "Yes, I'm sure you had a connection.  You're related, after all."  And why on God's green earth did Jean Smart's character think Frank should be staying in touch with John after all he did?  Ugh, I can take horrible things/people happening on shows but can't stand when the other characters don't react accordingly.  

Final vent, why were either Richard or Siobhan in this?  Richard was dull, Siobhan was annoying and they were both pretty pointless.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12