Type keyword(s) to search

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

As always, no spoilers. No future information from social or other media.  And hey, let's be careful out there!

• Start Topic

I think this might be the end for me and NYC. I moved out 12 years ago, but quitting this show will be my final exodus.

5 Ho's? This ain't season 2 of RHNJ, folks, and none of these bitches rival the crazy that early Staub could bring. Too few women + COVID = Valium season opener.

I recognized Eboni from her days on Fox. I'm kind of annoyed already that she's being billed as "Leah's friend" when it's explained five minutes later that she's known Lu for years through Jill Zarin and the charity circuit. Call me a nostalgist, a traditionalist, what have you, but even as an erstwhile Village resident, I'm not interested in the "Downtown Housewives" show they're peddling now. It was cute and fun and sexy when Underdog Bethenny and B 2.0 lived downtown with  Carole... but what I'm seeing now is an attempt to make "teams" - uptown vs. downtown, UES vs. all of Manhattan. This show, for me, should revolve around the Upper East Side.

I don't give a fig where Eboni lives now or if she rents or buys in Harlem, but I do mind that they're introducing her as "Leah's friend" - as if we have Leah to thank for her addition. I'm NOT participating in Step 1 of the Rebranding of RHNYC around the "woke" likes of Leah McSweeney. If this is a season where we're going to be taking our OGs to task to elevate an asshole like Leah, I'm not here for it. Eboni could have come in on her own; Leah shouldn't get to use her as a prop. Even in the car ride, Eboni makes an innocuous comment that Leah IMMEDIATELY turns into something racially charged. That crap plus the obvious Judaism conversion for a plotline just make me dislike Leah. I though she was putting on an act during last year's premiere, and now I just think she's been bolstered by Bravo and is putting on a bigger act. 

Ramona and Lu look STUNNING, especially in the opening sequence. Quarantine did them good. I love that they're getting along, even if it's just an alliance for the cameras.

Sonja looks a hot mess and is straddling the fence as always. I see she'll be the wild card between the young newbies and the OGs.

I'm confused about Eboni... she decided to quit her job, not pay for her car, and thought her credit wouldn't take a hit and she could buy a house?? Ummmm ok then. 

This looks to be a repeat of last season, with no actual plotline and a lot of insular fighting for the cameras over meals. I barely got through last season once Tinsley and the last organic plotline left. This gets one more ep before I free up Tuesday nights. Bravo is missing the mark here. 

• Love 23

Did anyone notice the Jovani bag in Lu's apartment?!  It was tucked in between the boxes and you could only see the Vani part but it was there!

Eboni's face when she met Sonja 😂 

And Sonja crouching trying to clean the pond and she is the only one who can clean the stones, she really is a whack a doodle. I hope that she tones down the drinking this season because she was a complete mess last season. 

Did not miss Dorinda at all.

Coco!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
24 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Didn't she say something akin to the pandemic made her do it?

22 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Something about the pandemic and finding herself in a place where she thought she needed the stability of organized religion in her life - not verbatim, but that's what I recall of the opening scenes.

I think @LibertarianSlut is right. The real truth is she was converting to meet men.

I thought Leah also threw in the "not drinking" thing, along with the pandemic as a reason for needing a change of religions (something tells me she wasn't exactly a practicing Catholic for a long time). 

• Love 7

Welcome back, "housewife" watchers!  A few key points:

• We now have a LIVE CHAT thread.  Post there is you are posting your thoughts while watching.  This should still not include spoilers.  However, veering off-topic is not as big of a concern. 
  • WWHL happens AFTER the show episode was recorded.  Therefore WWHL appearances should not be discussed in the episode thread.  Here's a place to talk about the RHoNY folks appearing on WWHL. 
  • No spoilers means no information that was not known at the time the episode was filmed should be shared in the episode thread.  Let's be careful! 
  • Love 4
(edited)

I liked the conversion to Judaism so much better when Charlotte did it. ;)  As least she had a valid reason and took it seriously.  

Luann hates the mask because she's not as recognizable.  

And I really really need to learn how to apply make up better.....Leah in the facetime in the tub without her make up was a true BEFORE pic.  I don't think I've ever seen a transformation like hers.

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • LOL 7
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Eh, Countess flat out said she doesn’t like wearing a mask but she does wear one.  I’m the same.  I can’t say I enjoy it, I actually hate it, but it is what it is.  I’m not gonna act like oh ya ya wearing a mask is a good time, because it’s not.  Now that it’s getting hot out again, I’m a sweaty mess and my chin is breaking out.  I also don’t like wearing a bra or a winter jacket, but I do wear them.  But I find all of these things to be uncomfortable and constricting.

They all wore masks as required, I don’t care that they bitch about it because as long as they follow the rules, they don’t have to like it (I sure don’t)!

Amen to that!  The words "this fucking mask" are uttered by. me each and every time I wear one, but I wear them all the time when out and about.  If anything, the ladies bitching about them makes for genuine, organic reality TV.

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why Ramona and Lu are so chummy this season?

Possibly one of those "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type scenarios?   I imagine they each were threatened by the direction being taken by hiring someone like Leah last season.  

• Love 17
18 minutes ago, BloggerAloud said:

You would think that the Countess would be all about the face masks to put her song titles on them to promote.

Maybe Jovani can custom make her some masks to match her gowns.  

So Luann asserts she walked into that lovely apartment, looked at the ceilings and the flooring (?), and said she'd take it.  I seem to recall in earlier seasons she was all about the views.  I don't believe for a hot second that she didn't check out the views at her new apartment, especially the view of Tom's terrace.  Nice try, Countess 😂

And Bravo just had to open this episode with a protracted Leah scene.  Ugh.  If she were cut out of this show from this moment on, I'd never even notice she was gone.  

On a superficial note, Eboni is absolutely gorgeous.  I hope she brings along entertainment along with her beauty.

I tried watching this courtesy of the DVR last night but fell asleep shortly after the gathering at Sonja's.  I'll make sure to load up on caffeine before watching it later tonight, although I'm sure the season previews will wake me up.  I'll likely chime in again after I manage to stay awake for the entire episode.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
13 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

And I really really need to learn how to apply make up better.....Leah in the facetime in the tub without her make up was a true BEFORE pic.  I don't think I've ever seen a transformation like hers.

Leah looked even more masculine than Luann sometimes can, in that scene. Mind you I don't know if we have ever seen Lu sans makeup? But honestly, Leah looked like one of those people who goes on makeover shows, and are totally unrecognizable afterwards. She really is fugly, both inside and out. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 14
16 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

So Luann asserts she walked into that lovely apartment, looked at the ceilings and the flooring (?), and said she'd take it.  I seem to recall in earlier seasons she was all about the views.  I don't believe for a hot second that she didn't check out the views at her new apartment, especially the view of Tom's terrace.  Nice try, Countess 😂

Plus the fact when I was checking out apartments for fun, I noticed that most listings have a specific photo to show the view. You know, so you can make sure you're not overlooking a bank of air conditioning units or a water tower or some such. Reeeaally nice try, Countess!

• Love 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts but SONJA! She is not making money because of buying sewing machines and luxury fabrics. Doesn't she buy crap and put her tag on it? I truly don't think there was any luxury fabrics or sewing machines bought. I know Sonja is a fan favorite but I could never stand her, she's just fake and a flake.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Let me translate this out of Sonja bullshit into actual English--the factories in China that make the clothes that she buys shut down for an extended period because of covid quarantine measures. The closures cost a ton of money. Sonja is such a delusional fabulist. She's so deeply ashamed of coming across as less than a blue blood that she makes super strange decisions and says such weird shit.

I think that this is all still part of Sonja's delusions.  She imagines herself as some sort of modern day couturier with long ago used methods, such as overseeing every single phase of her "designs", from the actual designing (which she doesn't do), to creating the patterns (which she probably has no idea what that is), to setting up a production shop/offices (which she doesn't have), to procuring/commissioning fabrics (which she wouldn't know the first thing about), to personally overseeing the sewing floor and employees (which she only has in her little imaginary delusional world), to finally approving each garment, checking each and every stitch, hem, button/buttonhole and zipper (she probably can't even sew on a button), to finally hand-delivering the garments herself to her retail distributors. 

Even large, successful well-known upscale labels do not do things that way.  Yes, they have designers (usually several - not just the "name") and they do choose fabrics, but they mostly outsource the actually sewing, assembling and manufacturing to larger companies.  

It's like she's living in some dreamy MGM old movie of a hard-working fashion designer who makes a name for herself.  

Sonja needs to own what she is - a name/label that has some recognition attached to some cute but inexpensive "fashion".  She'd be much more authentic and probably more successful if she would get off her high horse, and look at the reality of the situation.  There is a big market out there for "masses, not classes" reasonably priced and fashionable clothing. 

Sonja isn't and never will be a modern-day Coco Chanel.  She is not and never will be a courturier, as much as she tries to delusion herself into that.

I wonder if Sonja's next business will be selling ALL those sewing machines she had to purchase!  Imagine - "Sonja Sews" with a sexy "j"!!!!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 20
54 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I recognized Eboni from her days on Fox. I'm kind of annoyed already that she's being billed as "Leah's friend" when it's explained five minutes later that she's known Lu for years through Jill Zarin and the charity circuit. Call me a nostalgist, a traditionalist, what have you, but even as an erstwhile Village resident, I'm not interested in the "Downtown Housewives" show they're peddling now. It was cute and fun and sexy when Underdog Bethenny and B 2.0 lived downtown with  Carole... but what I'm seeing now is an attempt to make "teams" - uptown vs. downtown, UES vs. all of Manhattan. This show, for me, should revolve around the Upper East Side.

Why?  It's Real Housewives of New York.  New York is enormous and it should be about anyone based there.  

Even if it was about my city where I'm from, I would be so annoyed if it was just about women in the richest area of the city, and my city is probably like 1/10th the size of NY.

51 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I liked the conversion to Judaism so much better when Charlotte did it. ;)  As least she had a valid reason and took it seriously.  

I keep thinking about that too.  I am wondering if people could comment whether Charlotte's storyline was accurate and respectful or not.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I’m surprised Leah didn’t get a King Charles Spaniel instead of the Chi.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

I thought last season that Lu and Ramona might be bonding as a defense against the vitriolic Dorinda. Hope it stays this way because the two of them having a pleasant time at Lu’s new apartment was the nicest part of last night’s episode.

Lu copped to drinking and blackout drinking during quarantine. I wonder whether Sonja was doing the same alone in her townhouse. That would account for why see didn’t want to see anyone, especially her daughter, during that time.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Otherkate said:

My guess is that she's doing it for her parents' attention which seems to be the reason she does pretty much anything. She annoys them by doing something stupid or dangerous and then gets to complain about how they judge her afterwards. Rinse and repeat. Those poor people. 

Can you imagine just how exhausting it is being her parents...

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

Eboni's face when she met Sonja 😂 

Let's pretend that scenario was actually as presented and Sonja had planned a get-together to which Leah asked to bring along a friend to introduce to the group, then they both arrive there and proceed to openly mock the hostess in a laughing at, not with way almost immediately upon entry.   I can't be the only one who found that off putting.  This is not unexpected behavior by Leah who had demonstrated bratty, teen-age, attention seeking  behaviors throughout her first season, but I hope it isn't a harbinger of what we can expect from Eboni.  Discussion among the castmates of other castmates behaviors is quite different than simply mocking them.  I guess I just have a real issue with someone accepting the hospitality of another and then deride them in return.

36 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Sonja needs to own what she is - a name/label that has some recognition attached to some cute but inexpensive "fashion".  She'd be much more authentic and probably more successful if she would get off her high horse, and look at the reality of the situation.  There is a big market out there for "masses, not classes" reasonably priced and fashionable clothing. 

She kept referring to it as a luxury lifestyle brand.  It seems she had something like Margaret Joseph's Macbeth Collection in mind, only in her case exploiting her RHoNY name recognition from the start. I never heard of the Macbeth Collection before but it apparently is a functioning business.  Next time Sonja's in New Jersey meeting with her partner she should pay Marge a visit for some pointers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I hope that Sonja's intern is completing a Masters thesis in which Sonja is symbolic of the American economy or something--a seemingly unlimited supply of wealth in the early 2000s that imploded because of its shaky and unethical underpinnings, and once the decline happened, a desperate yet futile scramble to regain or at least slow down the losses. Or maybe Wharton's giving out credit for filling bathtubs.

Sonja's daughter attends Penn.  I was thinking maybe it was a friend of her daughter who was there for a cameo.   

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

It's like she's living in some dreamy MGM old movie of a hard-working fashion designer who makes a name for herself.  

I want to see this movie!

43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why?  It's Real Housewives of New York.  New York is enormous and it should be about anyone based there.  

Even if it was about my city where I'm from, I would be so annoyed if it was just about women in the richest area of the city, and my city is probably like 1/10th the size of NY.

I keep thinking about that too.  I am wondering if people could comment whether Charlotte's storyline was accurate and respectful or not.

I was hesitant to post for those very reasons.  I do hope that my comment wasn't offensive.  I just feel that the way Charlette did it was beautiful.  

• Love 10

I'm so glad the NY Housewives are back - they're now the only franchise I watch after I finally ditched OC a couple of seasons ago.

I think Sonja was hidden away because she's had a major facelift and was swollen, bandaged and bruised for weeks. That, and the understandable disappointment of the Century 21 closure, which I'm sure sent her into a bit of a spiral.

Leah is disgusting, and if she doesn't realise that being an Orthodox Jew means dressing modestly then, hoo boy, she has a lot to learn. But I found her behaviour offensive in every way in this episode.

I like Eboni and the energy she brings. From the preview of the upcoming season, she's more than capable of holding her own with the other Ho'wives.

Ramona is as batty as ever, but I do like her.

Luann is as delusional as ever. But, in relation to being allergic to alcohol, I will say this. I am a recovering alcoholic (22 years sober), and one of the things you learn in recovery is that if you are an alcoholic (of my type), any amount of alcohol will trigger an allergic reaction which sets off a craving  for more and more alcohol. That's why it's so important to avoid things like Listerine and certain OTC medication which contain high concentrations of alcohol, or food cooked with alcohol (it's a myth that it 'burns off').

The allergy is described as follows in the section called "The Doctor's Opinion" in the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book.

We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker. These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all; and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self-confidence, their reliance upon things human, their problems pile up on them and become astonishingly difficult to solve...

Luann has probably learned in AA or treatment about the allergy, and I think she has probably realised that she can't have just a couple of drinks - it's all or nothing. But fake alcohol (such as O'Doul's, or that fake sparkling rose wine that Luann was drinking) that tastes like the real thing is also not a good idea, because it, too, can do things to the brain that will lead to an alcoholic drink. There's a saying in recovery - non-alcoholic wine is for non-alcoholics.

So I don't criticise Luann for saying she's allergic to alcohol - she probably is if she's an alcoholic. But hanging round with women who drink the way Sonja and Ramona drink, and playing with fake booze, is a bit of a slippery slope.

Anyway, sorry to be a bit preachy about this, but I think Luann is probably right that she is allergic to alcohol - in the way only an alcoholic can be.

• Useful 5
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, essexjan said:

Luann has probably learned in AA or treatment about the allergy, and I think she has probably realised that she can't have just a couple of drinks - it's all or nothing. But fake alcohol (such as O'Doul's, or that fake sparkling rose wine that Luann was drinking) that tastes like the real thing is also not a good idea, because it, too, can do things to the brain that will lead to an alcoholic drink. There's a saying in recovery - non-alcoholic wine is for non-alcoholics.

They explored this on the show "Mom" too.  It's about a bunch of alcoholics.  One alcoholic decided that virgin drinks were a very bad idea for her, but another one said it didn't cause her any anguish.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I was just kind of making things up about that kind of movie, but then, I started thinking about it, and there is an old Susan Hayward movie, "Back Street", which is kind of along the story of a poor, hard working designer who becomes famous (but, she has an affair with married John Gavin, so that is the main story).  It's a great, soapy, over-the-top love story/drama!!!  

Another that comes to mind is Mahogany with Diana Ross - she wants to be a designer, becomes a model, moves to Italy and finally finds out her true destiny was back in Chicago with a dreamy Billy Dee Williams.  But, there is one scene where she is screaming at the Italian seamstresses about working harder that made me think that this is what Sonja would be imagining.  

Either way, Sonja is still just as delusional as ever about her business - I hope that someone questions her about this, either during the season or at the reunion.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They explored this on the show "Mom" too.  It's about a bunch of alcoholics.  One alcoholic decided that virgin drinks were a very bad idea for her, but another one said it didn't cause her any anguish.

Yes, I could never drink fake wine or beer. But I never drank Mojitos when I was drinking (I never even knew they existed!), and as I like the citrus and mint flavours, I'm fine with a virgin Mojito. To me it's just a lime/mint lemonade and has no connection with alcohol for me as Mojitos  played no part in my drinking story.

• Useful 11
13 minutes ago, essexjan said:

Yes, I could never drink fake wine or beer. But I never drank Mojitos when I was drinking (I never even knew they existed!), and as I like the citrus and mint flavours, I'm fine with a virgin Mojito. To me it's just a lime/mint lemonade and has no connection with alcohol for me as Mojitos  played no part in my drinking story.

That's honestly fascinating!

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If not that is absolutely terrible.  I can't look past that in a person at all.  Also, they're not LEARNING anything from her.  What an awful set up.

I somehow can't see a college thinking there's credit to be had for performing household chores.  Now, if she had an intern actively assisting her in the merchandising of her Chinese ripoff clothing, that might be something.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I immediately thought of Charlotte when Leah said she was converting!  I was waiting for Leah to say that she had to be immersed in water naked (as portrayed in Sex & the City), and I was waiting for her immature comment about it.  

As far as Sonja's comment about her multi-colored fish:  I took it as a poor attempt on her part to let Eboni know that she's an inclusive (not racist) person because she has lots of fish of color!  It's like when a white person says they're not racist because they have a black friend.  I'm just assuming that maybe that is what Eboni was thinking.  

• Love 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Leah looked even more masculine than Luann sometimes can, in that scene. Mind you I don't know if we have ever seen Lu sans makeup? But honestly, Leah looked like one of those people who goes on makeover shows, and are totally unrecognizable afterwards. She really is fugly, both inside and out. 

I think we have seen Luann without makeup during Housewife vacation trips.  I'm thinking specifically of the "don't be uncool" trip, but there have been many mornings where I recall seeing her and Ramona and Sonja without makeup.

I'm of the opinion makeup is one of the main reasons they hate masks.  It messes up their makeup, which is often troweled on like spackle.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Sage47 said:

And her boyfriend “Pita Chip”?

He sent a nude photo of her to a friend without her permission, yet she still has some type of relationship with him. Have some self-respect, Leah!

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I was shocked Leah allowed herself to be filmed bare-faced. She looked beautiful while facetiming with her dad on Yom Kippur.  I laughed at her dad saying the dog is Catholic because she's a Chihuahua and therefore Mexican.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Aren’t these “interns” at Sonjas really just young actors getting camera time? I can’t imagine these people being there year round to follow her around her house and listen to her nonsense. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, teapot said:

I never take the tags off, in case I decide not to keep (what she’s wearing) it.”

She finally verified what viewers have long suspected. Just change “in case” to “when”.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, Mar said:

He sent a nude photo of her to a friend without her permission, yet she still has some type of relationship with him. Have some self-respect, Leah!

Based on what Leah has shown, I somehow suspect that she was flattered that the guy did that.  I mean, she is an exhibitionist, right.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Then check out this classic flick.  It's amazing.  

3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I was just kind of making things up about that kind of movie, but then, I started thinking about it, and there is an old Susan Hayward movie, "Back Street", which is kind of along the story of a poor, hard working designer who becomes famous (but, she has an affair with married John Gavin, so that is the main story).  It's a great, soapy, over-the-top love story/drama!!!  

I should have read before posting, because I just recommended Back Street as well.  Great movie and it immediately came to mind when I read your original post.  Susan Hayward made some great movies.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm of the opinion makeup is one of the main reasons they hate masks. 

You're probably right, and the fact that they're all a bit vain.  It bothered me that LuAnn said "I know that we all need masks, and they can be fabulous, but for me, they're like a fashion faux pas."  WTF LuAnn?   I think that's a selfish way to look at it.  The reason for a mask is to help protect you, and more importantly, those around you just in case you're sick and don't know it.

One of my dental patients (a little old lady 80 years old) came in for a visit last year and was talking about seeing people not wearing masks.  She looked at me and asked "don't they care about us?"  That nearly broke my heart.  To LuAnn:  Quit worrying about how you look and think about others.  I'm sure you could've found a fabulous mask fit for a countess. 

• Love 23
(edited)
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

As far as Sonja's comment about her multi-colored fish:  I took it as a poor attempt on her part to let Eboni know that she's an inclusive (not racist) person because she has lots of fish of color!  It's like when a white person says they're not racist because they have a black friend.  I'm just assuming that maybe that is what Eboni was thinking.  

I respect what you’re saying, and I would agree with you in a vacuum.  Like, race doesn’t have to come into the equation.  I get that.  

Anecdotally, though, I get the other side, because I was in this situation where a black friend brought me to see his brother in an all-black neighborhood, and when the brother met me (I’m white), he immediately said, half genuinely, half tongue-in-cheek, “well, we accept all colors around here,” with a big smile, and I was immediately put at ease at the fact that he said it and by the way he thought he could joke with me right out of the gate.  

I don’t think mentioning race is a problem.  I think the fixation on race is a problem, and Eboni is the one who displayed that at every turn this episode.  I stopped counting, as soon as I made the affirmative decision that this show will never be on my DVR again, but, just off the top of my head, she mentioned that it was “good news” that Governor Newsom was considering reparations, she wore a sweatshirt with the names of the Central Park Five on it, she mentioned that she met her boyfriend, in part, through commonality on NFL kneeling, and she went on at length about how black people were welcomed in Sag Harbor in the 1940s, which, according to Eboni, was one generation removed from slavery, which is strange, considering the 1940s were 75 years after slavery ended in America.  I guarantee if another member of the cast had made such an honest gaffe, they would be taken to school at length for their ignorance, and privilege.  

Leah was with Eboni when she wore the Central Park Five sweatshirt, and they supposedly knew each other before, so when they were traveling to Sonja’s party in the car and Eboni asked if Sonja was used to being around “people like [her],” it wasn’t a huge leap to me that Leah would ask a clarifying question to make sure that Eboni was referring to race prior to responding.  I can fault Leah for being gross, having inappropriate moral outrage, for holding different people to different standards, and for wild immaturity, but I don’t have a problem with her asking if someone who has a penchant for talking about race was talking about race before responding in kind. 

All of the racial conversation could have been avoided, but Eboni wants very much to talk about race, which I guess is fine in the greater scheme of things.  But, if Eboni can make allusions to race four times in one episode, I’m not sure why Sonja can’t make one, especially given that Sonja seemed friendly and non-confrontational in what she was saying.  Most of Eboni’s racial speech, on the other hand, seemed designed to be provocative (Sag Harbor as the exception).

And I can’t really blame Eboni completely, because another poster explained Eboni’s history to me over PM, and it’s clear that she was one way once, and now she is getting paid to be Bravo’s woke token “person of color.”  So Bravo is at least somewhat at fault for only offering a position to someone on the cast who falls in line with what they think we will appreciate and will fall in line with our views of how people of certain races should think and act, and, also, for Bravo to atone for what it perceives to be its own racial transgressions, I guess.  So, Eboni is just a pawn in their game.  A willing pawn, but a pawn nonetheless.  

I think it is so sad that Bravo keeps making casting choices in order to pass some type of politically correct litmus test and in order to improve their ESQ score for 💲.  I am so embarrassed for Bravo and its players.  Because Andy is obsessed with appearing woke (I don’t think he is woke at all, and I think he is actually very elitist IRL), he casts Asian and black cast members who act the way he probably expects Asian and black people to act, with zero thought for diversity of opinion.  This is actually kind of racist to me, because white women cast on these shows, while not completely free to act how they want, get a lot more latitude than minority women, who have to pay lip service to certain causes or they will not get or stay cast.  

I have to call everyone out, now that I am on a roll.  Luann really wanted to know how Eboni met her new man, and Eboni was listing a bunch of causes that Eboni and the BF had in common, and Luann was just nodding really hard, as if she aligned with these causes too, when, meanwhile, Luann doesn’t give a shit about these causes.  She did an Indian war whoop in a restaurant just to annoy Carole in season five.  But she wants to keep her job.  It’s so gross how Bravo says “jump,” and these aging, divorced women say, “how high?” 

I find Sonja’s throwaway comment a lot more innocuous than Luann’s faux enthusiastic nodding about social justice.  I also thought Sonja’s throwaway comment about the fish was a lot more innocuous than Eboni’s response, which was that Sonja must be body positive, because some of her fish were overweight, the implication being that one is only “body positive” if they embrace extra fat, as if it is just as healthy and attractive as a normal weight.  

Just so much PC bullshit.  I need a fainting couch.  Also, Eboni, put your breasts away!  She made freaking Sonja look demure. Those girls deserved their own tag lines.  Also, Luann, your apartment ain’t all that.  It looked, as another poster up thread pointed out, not very different from Leah’s apartment that Luann dressed down last season (which I agreed wasn’t shit).  But it is rich for Luann to make passive-aggressive comments about the size of Leah’s coffee table, when Luann’s table is a cardboard box!  

I’m also not sure how Eboni was legally practicing law since the age of 23.  She is my age and she graduated from law school one year earlier than I did, and I am young for my age in my grade, and there was still no way I could have practiced law legally prior to the age of 25, so it is just a mathematical puzzle to me how she began practicing prior to 24.  The world may never know.  

I sound like such a hater on Eboni, which is ok, she didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth, and if I held that back because she is black, that would be racist to me.  I did, however, like how she took responsibility for the messes—all of them—in the past, unlike, ahem, someone’s name who rhymes with Bone Ya (and even Sonj seems to have she shit together a little more this episode than previous seasons.  She mentioned the quarantine was good for her twice.  Girl, I’m right there with you).  I also thought it was funny when Eboni said that she was “old as hell” in response to whether she was going to have kids.  Not everyone is Ramona, popping out firstborns naturally at 38.  I admire when women don’t think it is some type of anti-feminist taboo to acknowledge scientific facts.  

In summary, I just have so much more of a problem with Bravo and so little patience for the network, than with any individual player that I am quitting most all of their shows on a dime, and I couldn’t be happier about it. 

1 hour ago, Feline Goddess said:

I laughed at her dad saying the dog is Catholic because she's a Chihuahua and therefore Mexican.

Ok, this is going to make me look like the biggest hypocrite ever, since I said I need a PC fainting couch...but when Leah’s father said this, I was turned off.  I was like, “yeah, like there are no Mexican Jews!  Has he not heard of Mauricio?”  It just seems weird to me to assume that everyone in Mexico is Catholic.  I know it’s a joke, but a joke only makes sense if the joker thinks there is something truthful about its core.  Not only are not all Mexicans Catholic, but it is disputed how Catholic a lot of Mexicans who identify as Catholic are, as the Day of the Dead is not recognized by the church.  

It’s not a big deal, but I kind of wish people would be a little more educated when it comes to religion.  I have called Ramona out about this in the past, as well as Jill co-signing an attitude the Count had about Judaism.  Like...if people who practice the religion are ignorant about it—and religion is unlike race, in that it is a choice, it is not immutable—what exactly is happening with our civilization?  

And now that I just deconstructed another Housewife show with so much gravitas, I know it is time I go back to annoying the people on the Jersey board (and possibly BH, that one is on the bubble) and leave the good viewers of RHNYC in peace. 😁

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I respect what you’re saying, and I would agree with you in a vacuum.  Like, race doesn’t have to come into the equation.  I get that.  

And I respect your opinion!  In this instance though, I think it would've been better for Sonja to have said nothing, but let her actions speak for themselves.  Sometimes a person can try so hard to say that they're not racist, when just a smile and a warm welcome would've sufficed!

8 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I sound like such a hater on Eboni, which is ok, she didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth, and if I held that back because she is black, that would be racist to me.

You don't sound like a hater!  As with any new HW, I always give them a few episodes before I make up my mind on them.  I'm on the fence with her right now.

• Love 9

These ladies could've brainstormed and come up with some masks to sell.  Ramona's could have a turtle logo with Turtle Time embroidered on it.  Sonja could've made one with the family crest on it and instructions on how to wash it in a bidet/toilet.  I'm sure there's got to be a Skinny Girl mask around somewhere.  LuAnn could have a mask with 'Not Jovani' embroidered on it.  Ooh, or a pirate.   The possibilities are endless!

• LOL 8
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

These ladies could've brainstormed and come up with some masks to sell.  Ramona's could have a turtle logo with Turtle Time embroidered on it.  Sonja could've made one with the family crest on it and instructions on how to wash it in a bidet/toilet.  I'm sure there's got to be a Skinny Girl mask around somewhere.  LuAnn could have a mask with 'Not Jovani' embroidered on it.  Ooh, or a pirate.   The possibilities are endless!

They were sitting on a goldmine and didn’t even know it!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, izabella said:

I think we have seen Luann without makeup during Housewife vacation trips.  I'm thinking specifically of the "don't be uncool" trip, but there have been many mornings where I recall seeing her and Ramona and Sonja without makeup.

I'm of the opinion makeup is one of the main reasons they hate masks.  It messes up their makeup, which is often troweled on like spackle.

I also remember Sonja and Ramona (and Dorinda)  without makeup, but couldn't remember Lu. I don't know if I have seen any howife before Leah that I would have a hard time recognizing without make up. They tabloids could put her on the front page of their editions of stars without makeup. Though in Leah's case likely most would not know who she was, even with makeup. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Sonja could have toaster ovens embroidered on hers.  They might sell better than the actual toaster ovens!

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They were sitting on a goldmine and didn’t even know it!

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

The housewives could have teamed with Jill Zarin.  She and Ally jumped on the mask entrepreneur bandwagon pretty early in the pandemic, and I recently saw them selling their masks on "The View" during their "View Your Deal" weekly sales promotions.  

https://jillzarin.com/collections/fashion-face-mask

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6