Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: Regrets, Rehabs and Realtors

Pallas
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Another thing they never explained. In the original series, Roseanne and Jackie sold or gave their shares in the restaurant to Leon and Nancy after winning the lottery. In the reboot they never mentioned the restaurant or what became of it until the show was revamped as The Conners and they still didn't explain what happened to it. What they did tell us - which was that Bev still owned the building - made no sense whatsoever. Bev sold her share of the restaurant to Leon in the original series, and never owned the building. 

Continuity: not this show's friend.

Why is it I think we could've came up with a better continuation of the series without retcons than the current team? 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 7

Bev was living with Jackie in Jackie's apartment last we heard, but it wasn't Shady Acres. Bev apparently had to leave Shady Acres but they never explained why. Just another one of those retcons the reboot didn't address.

Whatever happened to Jackie's house?

On the original show, she was so frazzled living with Bev at the senior complex that  she bought the house Dan and his friends flipped (she borrowed the down payment from Bev)

• Love 4
22 hours ago, justduckey said:

I did not recognize Brian Austin Green at all.  Granted I haven’t seen him in anything in 25 years but still. 

Watching on demand right now, and I literally just came to this thread from IMDB after going "He looks so familiar!" 😄

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, barshi50 said:

Whatever happened to Jackie's house?

On the original show, she was so frazzled living with Bev at the senior complex that  she bought the house Dan and his friends flipped (she borrowed the down payment from Bev)

I've resolved that as this: She had an adjustable rate mortgage. When the mortgage amount reset to reflect the new interest rate in 2008, she could no longer afford the payments. She ended up in foreclosure along with the other 1.65 million other victims of the "Great Recession." With a foreclosure in her past, she would have trouble finding another mortgage or a decent rental.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 4/14/2021 at 9:35 PM, greekmom said:

Ok Ben is now being a straight up dick.  Darlene was offering a compromise with the New Haven instead of Hawaii. Selling the tickets and taking a small trip to New Haven they should have money left over to give to Dan.
I don't get the Brian Austen Green role. Is he there to cause a rift between Ben and Darlene?
I do like the rehab group.

It was South Haven (Michigan) where Darlene wanted to go, which is just a few hours away. And makes it even worse that Ben wasn’t willing to go on a get-away with her.

I grew up on 90210 so it was nice to see BAG even thought I recently saw him in the 901210 reboot. He’s aged VERY well lol.

I definitely feel like the end is near for Darlene and Ben. I’ve liked them as a couple so not sure how I feel about that. Maybe they will surprise me. How many episode are left? 

Forgot to mention that I got a big laugh out of Jackie wondering where the value in the house would come from ... “is there a Picasso in the living room?” 😂

Edited by srpturtle80
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

So none of them got stimmy checks???  At this rate that house should be +15k up or more.  Count the heads and do the math.  Oh but I guess if they did get some money in the bank they are just gonna go to Hawaii for 4 days (da fuq).  

Also?  There is no way Darlene is gonna pull David Silver.  I still can’t believe Stan (Ben) is around.  She is a wet blanket x 100 and not even hot to boot.  How how how???? Nope.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I really thought for a second that Murphy Brown was going to tell Ben he was being a prick about it! 

10 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Also?  There is no way Darlene is gonna pull David Silver.  

BTW, I'm TOTALLY onboard with referring to both Candice Bergen AND BAG's characters by their previous character names only from now on. ;)

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

As a child of the '90s, it is still so fucking weird to see Murphy Brown sitting in Roseanne's kitchen. Given how the two actresses were always so diametrically opposed - Candice Bergen was always the kind of actress Hollywood wanted to award, and Roseanne Barr was not - who would have thought we'd be here in 2021?

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, UYI said:

BTW, I'm TOTALLY onboard with referring to both Candice Bergen AND BAG's characters by their previous character names only from now on. 😉

So it’s okay I was hoping Murphy’s dog would also show up?

20 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

So none of them got stimmy checks???  At this rate that house should be +15k up or more.  Count the heads and do the math.  Oh but I guess if they did get some money in the bank they are just gonna go to Hawaii for 4 days (da fuq).  

Also?  There is no way Darlene is gonna pull David Silver.  I still can’t believe Stan (Ben) is around.  She is a wet blanket x 100 and not even hot to boot.  How how how???? Nope.  

I have also asked these questions.  Only Harris would not have gotten one.   They should also be getting food assistance.  
maybe they should make reference to not filling their taxes  ,working under table or David claimed mark so he received most of the money 

Maybe Becky can go with David silver I heard he prefers blondes anyway.   

Jackie was really good dealing with Becky the past view episodes   It was nice to see her act normal for once  

Edited by tribeca
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

As a child of the '90s, it is still so fucking weird to see Murphy Brown sitting in Roseanne's kitchen. Given how the two actresses were always so diametrically opposed - Candice Bergen was always the kind of actress Hollywood wanted to award, and Roseanne Barr was not - who would have thought we'd be here in 2021?

Interestingly enough, Roseanne DID win one Emmy for Lead Actress in Comedy Series--in 1993, for the episode where Roseanne's dad died, although she was sick and unable to accept it in person--but of course, Candice won five for Murphy Brown in the same category, until she ultimately withdrew herself from consideration (she held the record for the most wins in that category until Julia Louis-Dreyfus tied and then surpassed her for her wins for her role on Veep). 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

In what world does someone waltz in to another person's home and demand they sell their home so their darling adult child can live with his girlfriend?  Murphy Brown can invite her son to live with her if she's so distressed about his hobo camp (OK, hobo camp was funny).

I got a few laughs out of this episode, mainly from Becky and Jackie.

I don't think BAG and Darlene are going to get romantic but he's going to be a friend and give her food for thought and support about Ben and what she wants.  I'm glad Darlene told Dan she's not too sure about staying with Ben anymore.  Ben is too control freak for me, and we can see who he gets that from!

No foster dog.  Did Dan send him back already?

• Love 11
13 hours ago, marceline said:

I'm firmly Team Ben in this episode. It's easy for Darlene to talk about a compromise because she's not the one living in the back of a hardware store. Ben knows what his priorities are and he's focused on achieving them. What I'm seeing from Darlene is just her bouncing from one thing to the next and now her thing is turning Molly into some kind of guardian angel/sign from the universe. I keep thinking about how Darlene went racing over to Molly's because Jackie called her and said Molly was hitting on Ben (What the hell kind of grown-ass woman does that?) but now she's disappointed in Ben because he didn't want to go to Hawaii.

I'm fine with Ben and Darlene splitting up because these people have conflicting levels of maturity.

I see your point, but the way he’s going about it is all wrong. He’s coming really close to shaming Darlene for wanting to use the tickets. He wouldn’t even compromise with a short trip to somewhere close; he just keeps telling her that what he wants (to save all their money to move in together) is the only “right” thing to do, making her feel unheard. And he doesn’t HAVE to live in the hardware store—Darlene already told him he could come back to the house—he’s choosing to stay there until he gets what he wants. So his level of maturity isn’t looking so great to me, either.

• Love 20
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For a minute, I thought Ben’s mom was going to turn from angry to passionate and plant a big kiss on Dan!  Not acceptable, I know, but it seemed that it was going somewhere.  😀

16 hours ago, UYI said:

BTW, I'm TOTALLY onboard with referring to both Candice Bergen AND BAG's characters by their previous character names only from now on. ;)

16 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Man, wouldn't it be weird if Dan Connor was in some love triangle with Murphy Brown and Peg Bundy (who was hot despite what Al would say).

I think Roseanne actually auditioned for the role of Peg Bundy but they decided to go with more glamorous looking actors for the characters.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I see your point, but the way he’s going about it is all wrong. He’s coming really close to shaming Darlene for wanting to use the tickets. He wouldn’t even compromise with a short trip to somewhere close; he just keeps telling her that what he wants (to save all their money to move in together) is the only “right” thing to do, making her feel unheard. And he doesn’t HAVE to live in the hardware store—Darlene already told him he could come back to the house—he’s choosing to stay there until he gets what he wants. So his level of maturity isn’t looking so great to me, either.

That's where I am too.  Ben may be right from a strictly money stand point, but he is going about it in a rather childish way.  They have had several conversations about the need to better communicate their feelings, and I think Darlene is doing her best here.  It feels like the panic attacks scared her and Ben isn't giving her the space to deal with it.  He is discounting her feelings on the matter.  He can be right, without railroading her feelings.  Also, it seems sort of petty that he insists on sleeping in the store. 

Now, as for Ben, I get that sleeping in your girlfriend's childhood bedroom and paying her Dad rent is a bit awkward.  Also, it was clear in the beginning that he didn't really want to do it.  And it was clear at the time Darlene discounted his feelings on the subject, and he just agreed.  But he did agree, so this is where he's at.  If he wants to have an honest conversation with her, he needs to explain that he wants/needs his own space away from the family, but he also needs to be prepared to give a little.

And don't even get me started on the arrogance of walking into someone else's home and telling the owner that he has to sell because it makes life easier for her precious baby boy.  That being said, I love Candace Bergen on here and think her sharp tongue is needed.  The show is missing that sharp tongue, no holds barred, tell it like it is, persona.  I had hoped Katey Sagal would fill that role, though I doubt we'll see much of her again, with her new show.

• Love 12

I think having Murphy Brown(don’t remember her name on this show) barge in to tell Dan what to do with his house was ridiculous.  If anything I thought she’d be upset Ben was giving him part of the store.  Second, they are acting like Darlene is saving the day with Dan.  I get she’s helping now, but are we forgetting all the months/years Dan was paying for Darlene, her kids, Becky, her kid and Murphy Brown’s raggedy son?

Again, I’d love to know how much this mortgage is supposed to be because unless these people are going to rent a room in somebody’s house how much money are they really saving?  Also, if Darlene and Ben move out are they’re taking Mark and Harris with them because that requires 2 more bedrooms.

We know Dan doesn’t make great financial decisions but how in the world does he expect to have all these money after selling the house? He’d be be lucky  if it’s not a short sale.  If he actually makes a profit, I’d be surprised if it’s more than a few thousand dollars. Plus where is he living, if it’s not with Louise, it’s probably cheaper to stay put.

Ben is irritating, rent an apartment and stop whining about living in your store because your girlfriend is helping her dad, whom you had no problem mooching off.  If any guy did that to me I would no longer be dating him.  The whole airplane ticket thing is stupid, I’m not even getting into the logistics of returning tickets, either sell them or go to Hawai’i, or just shut up already.

Why is Darlene telling all her personal problems to her subordinate on his first day or at all?  Why is David Silver telling his boss he’s hung over?  This show is so stupid sometimes.

It was nice seeing DJ for 1.8 seconds.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Foster dogs (and cats) typically stay in a foster home only until someone adopts them permanently.

No kidding.  I know how fostering pets works; I've been a foster mom myself.  (Which by agreement was a Forever Foster of a senior/special needs cat whom I loved until she passed away at age 18.)  I guess you missed my sarcasm.  I've already predicted we won't ever see the foster dog again, and Dan was just doing it for the money ($100 a week!) so there's no storyline about him still being there or having gotten his forever home.

• Love 4

Wow. Sorry I didn’t see sarcasm an ordinary question with no indication of such.

ETA: Even so, I added a like to your post due to your fostering story. I’m a shelter volunteer and that’s the kind of thing I like to hear.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Candice Bergen was always the kind of actress Hollywood wanted to award, and Roseanne Barr was not - who would have thought we'd be here in 2021?

Not to mention Roseanne Barr had some not so kind words to describe Candice Bergen's acting ability at the time. Something to the effect of "bored of her butt bitch" if I recall. Would love to know what she thinks of her being on "her" show now!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ugh, that was awful. Not only was he not an alcoholic, but it was well-known that Jackie had a great relationship with him right up until his death, even after the revelation of his long-time mistress.

I didn't realize Al was an alcoholic - just Bev. However if I was married to Al the Abuser, I would have been an alcoholic myself. 

I don't see Darlene with BAG. What would be the future? He's going to make some money and go off surfing with his friends (In land-locked Lanford LMAO) while Darlene is stuck at home with her kids and Boring Ben.  Meanwhile what right does Murphy Brown have to tell Dan what to do? Where has she been all this time? Bossing her grown a$$ son around? 

Explain to me why Ben can't afford even a small apartment on his own right now and has to sleep in the back of the hardware store. 

I realize they are trying to lighten the show up but Becky's jokes in rehab are IMHO cringeworthy. 

• Love 8

I don't see Darlene with BAG. What would be the future? He's going to make some money and go off surfing with his friends (In land-locked Lanford LMAO) while Darlene is stuck at home with her kids and Boring Ben.  Meanwhile what right does Murphy Brown have to tell Dan what to do? Where has she been all this time? Bossing her grown a$$ son around? 

Ben is Fred all over again. Yuk.

4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think Roseanne actually auditioned for the role of Peg Bundy but they decided to go with more glamorous looking actors for the characters.

She was offered the role by the producers without an audition (ditto Sam Kinison for Al, as he and Roseanne Barr were the hottest new comedians of either gender at the time), but she turned it down because she wanted her own show (Kinison turned it down, too). They started the audition process after that. 

• Useful 5
2 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

He actually had a line, too!! I'd love to see a DJ-centric episode for a change. 

Yes! I'd like to see how things are going with him and Mary, and at the very least, a mention of how Geena's doing, too. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, tribeca said:

So people think boss Darlene is going to together with her employee hot guy?  
not a good way to keep a job. 

Well he doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who stays at a job for any length of time so I can see him up and quitting when Darlene comments that she can’t have sex with an employee.    

I don’t need them to have a future.  BAG’s character could be exactly what Darlene needs in the short run to live a little.   I mean she jumped from David to Ben pretty quick.  It would be interesting having her spend a couple episodes in a relationship she knows has a shelf life.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

He's going to make some money and go off surfing with his friends (In land-locked Lanford LMAO)

Maybe he's using a nearby lake as a stand-in? You never know with some people, and he seems dim enough to try it! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Can Darlene and Ben even afford a place? I doubt his hardware store is raking in the big bucks. Why is Dan working there? He probably makes no money there he could be making more elsewhere. The whole hardware store thing is so dumb.

Murphy Brown being a bitch about Darlene helping Dan out was stupid. The show annoys me when it comes to this stuff. If all these adults are living in the house then they should be expected to chip in. They are in their 40s like come on. Also 3-4 ppl chipping in how are they still so behind?

No offense to Sara Gilbert but all these guys being into her is a bit ridiculous. Never mind chemistry or looks because whatever but the character is such a negative shrew. I don’t like Ben and Darlene together because to me they have no chemistry and I don’t get why he would even wanna be with her but I like Ben as a character so would suck if they broke up.

This show should’ve just ignored Covid. It’s too all over the place with how it’s dealing with it. Some ppl wear masks but other ppl like Bens mom doesn’t and she just got there from Florida. Darlene is thinking about going on vacay. Which is that even allowed?? Can’t really go on vacation here. Anyways the show needs to just pick a lane.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

He actually had a line, too!! I'd love to see a DJ-centric episode for a change. I'm tired of Darlene/Ben and their misery.

Which is ridiculous. On Roseanne there was at least one or two episodes focused on DJ per season.

• Love 4

I like DJ, and it would be nice to see him, but I like to pretend he’s got at least some positive things going on in his life and I feel like that only happens if you stay away this family. I agree about all these guys being into Darlene.  I’m not saying they’re winners either, but she’s so abrasive.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Marley said:

Can Darlene and Ben even afford a place? I doubt his hardware store is raking in the big bucks. Why is Dan working there? He probably makes no money there he could be making more elsewhere. The whole hardware store thing is so dumb.

Murphy Brown being a bitch about Darlene helping Dan out was stupid. The show annoys me when it comes to this stuff. If all these adults are living in the house then they should be expected to chip in. They are in their 40s like come on. Also 3-4 ppl chipping in how are they still so behind?

No offense to Sara Gilbert but all these guys being into her is a bit ridiculous. Never mind chemistry or looks because whatever but the character is such a negative shrew. I don’t like Ben and Darlene together because to me they have no chemistry and I don’t get why he would even wanna be with her but I like Ben as a character so would suck if they broke up.

This show should’ve just ignored Covid. It’s too all over the place with how it’s dealing with it. Some ppl wear masks but other ppl like Bens mom doesn’t and she just got there from Florida. Darlene is thinking about going on vacay. Which is that even allowed?? Can’t really go on vacation here. Anyways the show needs to just pick a lane.

7 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I think having Murphy Brown(don’t remember her name on this show) barge in to tell Dan what to do with his house was ridiculous.  If anything I thought she’d be upset Ben was giving him part of the store.  Second, they are acting like Darlene is saving the day with Dan.  I get she’s helping now, but are we forgetting all the months/years Dan was paying for Darlene, her kids, Becky, her kid and Murphy Brown’s raggedy son?

Again, I’d love to know how much this mortgage is supposed to be because unless these people are going to rent a room in somebody’s house how much money are they really saving?  Also, if Darlene and Ben move out are they’re taking Mark and Harris with them because that requires 2 more bedrooms.

We know Dan doesn’t make great financial decisions but how in the world does he expect to have all these money after selling the house? He’d be be lucky  if it’s not a short sale.  If he actually makes a profit, I’d be surprised if it’s more than a few thousand dollars. Plus where is he living, if it’s not with Louise, it’s probably cheaper to stay put.

Ben is irritating, rent an apartment and stop whining about living in your store because your girlfriend is helping her dad, whom you had no problem mooching off.  If any guy did that to me I would no longer be dating him.  The whole airplane ticket thing is stupid, I’m not even getting into the logistics of returning tickets, either sell them or go to Hawai’i, or just shut up already.

Why is Darlene telling all her personal problems to her subordinate on his first day or at all?  Why is David Silver telling his boss he’s hung over?  This show is so stupid sometimes.

It was nice seeing DJ for 1.8 seconds.

The writers seem to forget the first season (when Roseanne was on the show) Darlene lost her Chicago apartment and job, so she and her kids moved in with her parents rent free. Dan and Roseanne even allowed her to say some bullshit about how she was moving in to take care of her elderly parents to spare Darlene's ego.

Becky even turned down a decent waitress position on the gambling riverboat because since Darlene had kids, it was more important for her to have the health benefits.

Darlene is really nobody's savior. When she and the kids were going to move in with Ben in a nice Chicago apartment, she cheated on his with David.

That being said, she should be going on the trip to Hawaii because there is really nothing else you can do with those tickets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Marley said:

No offense to Sara Gilbert but all these guys being into her is a bit ridiculous. Never mind chemistry or looks because whatever but the character is such a negative shrew.

Yeah, I think it's a testament to just how Darlene-centric this show has become that so many viewers immediately assumed that BAG would show an attraction to her, despite it not making sense. YMMV, but in my experience, hot carefree guys don't typically fall for sour-faced downers with a boyfriend and two kids. But in Connerland we've been programmed to accept that any new male character will inevitably fall for the irresistible Darlene. I'm still holding out hope that they won't go there, but I won't be at all surprised if they do.

• Love 9

First, only Dan, Jackie and Bev would be fully vaccinated at this point in Illinois. We only opened vaccinations to the general public 16-64 without specific pre-existing conditions this week. Maybe Barb got vaccinated in Florida  So the people in that rehab and at work should have been in masks. 

Second- Dan is old enough to be getting social security in addition to working.  I do not think he worked that many years in a cash business to negate that.   As a drywaller etc, he would be licensed and actually meeting certain regulations and reporting requirements.   He mostly did commercial properties.  
Third, all these people lived rent and  utility ( and probably grocery) free for a few years.  Dan might not have gotten behind except for that.  They should have been paying appropriate rent all along. Yes, Ben and Darlene gave their original deposit money to Dan - but that would have only worth been a couple months rent. 
Fourth - Ben isn’t making enough money to rent an studio apartment for himself at this point.  So how is he and Darlene going to afford  an apartment big enough for them, including Mark? And is Harris just expected to fend for herself  when the 40 some year olds can’t? I mean, yes, she could live on her own, but most likely she’d be with them. 

Fifth.  One of the reasons that Becky can survive as a single( technically married)  Mom with a job is because she is living with a house full of people who can help with the baby.   She’s not going to be able to afford much on her own.  If Dan helps, he can’t afford his own place.

Sixth - Barb was standard Murphy Brown with Dan.... but where was her speech to Ben about standing on his own two feet and getting his own place before he depended  on Darlene for half the rent? 

Seventh - Darlene is a single mother of an 11-12 year old.  I agree that a long weekend in Michigan was a good compromise, but she’s  typical Conner clueless about needing a stable income and saving for retirement so that she’s not Dan in 20 years. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 15

I didn't realize Al was an alcoholic - just Bev. However if I was married to Al the Abuser, I would have been an alcoholic myself. 

Continuity wasn't great even on the original show. We only ever saw Al once, in one of the very early seasons when he and Bev came to visit. At the time there was no mention of him being an alcoholic or an abuser. The family was mostly just annoyed with Bev and there wasn't much friction with Al. 

A few seasons later Al and Bev split offscreen when Bev revealed Al had a mistress. It was still awhile after that they retconned that Al had beaten Roseanne and Jackie as children. There was no mention of alcoholism at that time either.

First, only Dan, Jackie and Bev would be fully vaccinated at this point in Illinois.

The new Wellman employee is a self-described nomad, free-spirit type, so who knows where he got vaccinated. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I get Becky needing to joke around as a defense mechanism, but not at the expense of the others....her making fun of the formerly overweight woman was just cruel and shitty.

Darlene, just cash in one ticket, pay some bills then go off on a little trip by yourself!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

First, only Dan, Jackie and Bev would be fully vaccinated at this point in Illinois. We only opened vaccinations to the general public 16-64 without specific pre-existing conditions this week. Maybe Barb got vaccinated in Florida  So the people in that rehab and at work should have been in masks. 

Second- Dan is old enough to be getting social security in addition to working.  I do not think he worked that many years in a cash business to negate that.   As a drywaller etc, he would be licensed and actually meeting certain regulations and reporting requirements.   He mostly did commercial properties.  
Third, all these people lived rent and  utility ( and probably grocery) free for a few years.  Dan might not have gotten behind except for that.  They should have been paying appropriate rent all along. Yes, Ben and Darlene gave their original deposit money to Dan - but that would have only worth been a couple months rent. 
Fourth - Ben isn’t making enough money to rent an studio apartment for himself at this point.  So how is he and Darlene going to afford  an apartment big enough for them, including Mark? And is Harris just expected to fend for herself  when the 40 some year olds can’t? I mean, yes, she could live on her own, but most likely she’d be with them. 

Fifth.  One of the reasons that Becky can survive as a single( technically married)  Mom with a job is because she is living with a house full of people who can help with the baby.   She’s not going to be able to afford much on her own.  If Dan helps, he can’t afford his own place.

Sixth - Barb was standard Murphy Brown with Dan.... but where was her speech to Ben about standing on his own two feet and getting his own place before he depended  on Darlene for half the rent? 

Seventh - Darlene is a single mother of an 11-12 year old.  I agree that a long weekend in Michigan was a good compromise, but she’s  typical Conner clueless about needing a stable income and saving for retirement so that she’s not Dan in 20 years. 

All of these are very valid points. Not to mention that Becky has started community college and will need childcare even more than ever. Emilio's aunts will probably be happy to help out though they said some awful things about Becky and tend to overfeed.

I wonder if Ben's plans about the apartment include Harris? He was happy to include her before but she might not want to live with them now that she is technically an adult.

We have been shown that Harris can work hard (her clothing hustle in High School...working for the big box place), maybe she can actually make it as a tattoo artist and be the first fully financially independent Connor with an actual career.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Darlene, just cash in one ticket, pay some bills then go off on a little trip by yourself!

She'll need the money from one ticket to pay for the rest of the expenses a trip to Hawaii will incur. Stuff's expensive there.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She'll need the money from one ticket to pay for the rest of the expenses a trip to Hawaii will incur. Stuff's expensive there.

Well, if she just takes a little trip like OP suggested, she can go to a lot of nice places closer to where she lives.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2021 at 11:40 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like everyone in the episode had good points re. the living situations but also that it all does not have to be so all or nothing! I agree that the housing issues are not ideal (and selling the place may make the most sense) but maybe Ben and his mom could try appreciate/understand a person who wants to help out her dad (and Ben was the one who spent loads of dough on podcast stuff). They acted like a year was forever.

All or nothing is a huge problem with this show's plots. For instance:

Darlene couldn't just be a supervisor - she ends up being a manager. Ben wants to do a podcast so he spends $ on equipment instead of starting out in a closet like everyone else. Ben and Darlene are staying in her childhood room but they can't spend a couple of dollars on updating it a bit now that two 40-somethings live there. Can't attend college unless you have a college fund (though I was so glad to hear Becky talk about community college). Dan goes from not thinking to ask for a raise to asking for a partnership. The writers don't understand nuance. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Yes they would have to sell it for more than the mortgage to have any money from the sale.  

I can't see Dan getting enough money from the house to pay rent somewhere. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, eel21788 said:

That's what I was thinking. Darlene gets an apartment with her kids. Becky gets an apartment with her kid. Dan gets an apartment. Wouldn't that add up to more than the joint mortgage they're currently paying?

Absolutely. And I think Darlene and Ben would need a 3-bedroom apartment or to rent a house. Becky wouldn't have the childcare she has now, though I like that Emilio and his family helps with that - way more realistic. 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, Caseysgirl said:

I have been so disappointed by this show.  First of all, Dan has become an annoying curmudgeon. The fact that he has multiple very marketable skills ( mechanic, carpenter, handyman and contractor are some that come to mind, why has he never been able to make a decent living?  They’ve been in that house over 30 years and he still had a mortgage that he can’t even pay off?  Why until this time have neither of these relatively intelligent, and one college educated girls been able to find decent employment?  Why isn’t DJ helping out - his wife is in the Service and it seems as if he has a good job?  Why isn’t Darlene getting child support? Why isn’t Becky getting survivors benefits?  It’s depressing to see that in all the years none of these people have improved at living.  Also, personality wise, who would be attracted to a negative, sarcastic, self absorbed woman like Darlene and yet the men are falling over her.   I keep watching hoping for the magic of the first iteration of this show but I don’t see it coming.

This show doesn't mention anything that would sound like a potential boost, but I think it would make the family's plots more realistic. There's no mention of DJ at least helping for childcare. Mary isn't a baby but she is another human who consumes water, electricity, and food. I can see David not being able to afford much child support but they could at least mention it. I don't know how old Mark was when he died so I was wondering if he hadn't worked long enough for there to be a decent check but they could at least mention it. And they don't mention the stimulus, WIC, EBT cards, financial aid, student loans, freelancing/side hustling. 

Sadly, I have a couple of family members who live a little like Dan. Highly skilled but poor decisions have led to second and third mortgages, adult children who struggle to parent and be independent. 

On 4/16/2021 at 12:15 AM, bobalina said:

Ben works retail. Weekends are crazy important. Chances are he cannot leave without planning far ahead for staffing.

I would love to see Darlene take her kids on a short trip. There's so much focus on Ben and that relationship and not much mention of bonding with her children. I booked a cute Airbnb two hours away from home and went with my young adult/teen children and it was so refreshing. 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:40 PM, Annber03 said:

Yes! I'd like to see how things are going with him and Mary, and at the very least, a mention of how Geena's doing, too. 

I would love to see more of DJ and his family. Not a fan of his wife but they could still mention hear at least. 

On 4/16/2021 at 8:29 PM, Marley said:

I have a hard time seeing Ben and Darlene affording a three-bedroom place.

I agree that it's unrealistic that so many people are attracted to Darlene. People don't make themselves so this isn't a dig at her looks but the way she carries herself seems like it wouldn't attract men. I don't know why Darlene needs a love interest. There are enough characters in the show already. 

And yea, skip covid. But people are definitely going on vacation. My friend has been on 4 vacations this past year. And I know of people going to various islands, Las Vegas, Disney World, etc.

• Love 7
On 4/14/2021 at 9:35 PM, Annber03 said:

And if Darlene and Ben do break up, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that. 

It makes sense why they have Ben and Dan working together, in case they do break-up so they have a reason to keep Ben on the show.

I am currently the last one living with my mother in a house that I know she can't afford by herself so I keep putting off any plans to move out. So Candace's speech to Dan hit me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

I agree that its kind of weird how all of these guys are attracted to Darlene but there's also how she's the one who is always in line for some big promotion.   Why is Becky who is much  more likable even as a drunk never has any opportunity to date a nice guy and have a decent job?  Darlene's work history isn't any better, she was fired before moving back to her parent's house and couldn't even keep a job in retail before going to the new job and oh wow, here is this girl with mad potential, let's give her a promotion.  Based on what?  lol.  This show is honestly so bent. on making Darlene the be all end all its crazy and they have given us zero reason why.   

It's kind of funny if you think about all of the stuff that has happened since the reboot.   That one guy was obsessed with her before she dated Ben, Ben has been willing to forgive her for cheating and live a life he doesn't want so they can be together, two promotions even thought that one at the print magazine (lol) didn't work out, gifted an expensive Hawaii vacation, gets a letter full of good feels from a girl on her deathbed (another story that makes no sense), come on now.

I also laughed at how busy that little mom and pop hardware store was.  What, they don't have amazon or Walmart in Lanford?  

Also, I think it's kind of crazy that they are still harping on Dan taking money from Darlene.  How about all that time that Darlene and her two kids lived there for free?  Sounds to me like they owe Dan money even if they are paying now.  Like he owes his grown ass kid and her two kids a free ride or something.  Maybe he wouldn't have been so far behind except for the three other people he was expected to support.

• Love 8

Not to mention that Becky has started community college and will need childcare even more than ever. 

I don't think she has started yet. I think she said she wanted to back to school but then when she was alone down in the basement with Beverly Rose she said by the time she could afford school she and her daughter would be graduating the same year. That was sort of the catalyst to her getting drunk and passing out down there where Jackie found her.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, lexiexx said:

Also, I think it's kind of crazy that they are still harping on Dan taking money from Darlene.  How about all that time that Darlene and her two kids lived there for free?  Sounds to me like they owe Dan money even if they are paying now.  Like he owes his grown ass kid and her two kids a free ride or something.  Maybe he wouldn't have been so far behind except for the three other people he was expected to support.

Yeah, that's what makes the content of Barb's tirade against Dan fall flat (the context, whatever truth lies in what she said, is ridiculous because she's one rung above a stranger and it's none of her damn business) - it's not like this all started because Dan couldn't pay his bills, so asked half of Lanford to move in and help support him.

Darlene lost her job and moved back home with two kids because she couldn't afford to support them on her own and David is a deadbeat dad.  Becky decided to have a child and moved back home with that baby, because she couldn't afford to support her alone and Emilio has little to contribute.  Darlene then also moved her bearded sloth of a boyfriend in when he lost his job and could no longer afford his apartment.

For a long time, none of these people were paying a dime of rent, presumably putting nothing towards the utility bills, and quite possibly not even covering their own food costs. 

Gee, ya think maybe the added burden of all these squatters pushed Dan's perpetually-precarious financial situation over the edge, and then his stupid, prideful refusal to disclose reality and require everyone to chip in put him in a hole that, yes, they are now all contributing to digging out of?

Darlene's promotion is recent, as is Ben being given the hardware store; even if they can afford to get their own place (which the show plays fast and loose with), that's new, and if Darlene wants to stick around a while longer to continue helping her dad regain some semblance of economic stability - and enjoy having a horde of people around to help raise Mark - that's not unreasonable.

Barb should have told her son the Conner family's finances are not his problem, nor are his their problem; stop camping out in a storeroom and go rent a decent apartment (and if he can't do that without Darlene paying half, then he's really in no position to harp on her about money), see how things go with the store and his relationship with Darlene over the next year, and then decide where he can/wants to live going forward.  Instead she goes to lecture her son's girlfriend's father about his family in his house.

Murphy, you entertain me, but take a seat on this one.

• Love 15