Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E15: Maya Rudolph / Jack Harlow

• Start Topic

That Beyonce sketch was was really something. I was laughing hard.

Ego bringing back "Edith Puithie" is an awesome callback. Well done.

The opening sketch did annoy me like an actual MTV show. That's something.

ETA: The Kamala sketch was a mess. The audience seemed like they were going to sleep, too. We see why they haven't done Biden in several episodes. That impression needs some work.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, vb68 said:

ETA: The Kamala sketch was a mess. The audience seemed like they were going to sleep, too. We see why they they haven't done Biden in several episodes. That impression needs some work.

Even the actors seemed bored, it was that bad.  I also didn't understand why they bothered bringing in Martin Short if they gave him barely anything to do.   

• Love 13

I have barely chuckled this entire show.....mostly dreadful. 

Hoping for a funny, off-beat last sketch to salvage something out of this mess of a show tonight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

The choreographers sketch was...something? 

I like Maya Rudolph, and it seems they’re writing FOR her. But the results don’t seem to be great. 

The boomer vax sketch is the only thing that really has resonated with me so far, because it has a huge connection to my IRL job. 

• Love 6

Cold Open: A Game Show hosted by Maya Rudolph! And it ISN'T a political sketch?! I got laughs out of whatever accent Maya was using, and "The Versace Murder Steps." The reveal of Beck's character being a cop the whole time fell flat, sadly.

"I'm on Florida Aderall — METH!" That was great.

Monologue: Maya is always a delight. Ordering Andrew out for being 5 in the year 2000 is relatable as hell. Punkie trying her best not to break was delightful, as was Maya confusing her cast for the Breakfast Club. 

Hot Ones: Holy crap a Hot Ones sketch, with Maya as Beyonce! No one but Maya could've pulled this off. I was absolutely dying at this.

Boomers Got The Vax: Yep, the Baby Boomers suck, but it was a good song. For the record, I got the first shot last week, I go back for round 2 on the 10th, so I'll be able to brag soon, too. I always love sketches that use the whole cast, and just about everyone was in it. And Edith Puthie is back!

A Kamala Harris Unity Seder: Martin Short's here to liven this sketch up! I knew Aidy as Ted Cruz was coming, that was fun. I love that Kamala calls Joe "JeBiden." But man, did this sketch just die. They even had a fake dog attack Martin Short and NOTHING!

NFTs: Oh man, I remember that Eminem video. And It's explaining NFTs. I wasn't expecting to see Ron Funches, Digimon, and twerking Thanos on this show, but here we are. 

Yeah, here's MY time to feel old and have to explain the Without Me video to people.

I haven't seen that video in years and I forgot that (somebody playing) Morpheus is in the video.

WU: Colin is on to something: Having gun stores ask five people in your life if they trust you with a gun before you can buy one is a damn good idea. He is just DONE this week. And god damn, did I laugh at Biden falling down the steps being synced to rap music. I loved Cecily as Sidney Powell. She just plays "deranged white lady" so well. Rocking the Fred Flintstone mother-in-law look and turkey gobbling? I'm shocked that Che was able to keep it together. 

I'm with Bowen: DO tell your senators about the lesbian characters in Sailor Moon. It was a really good segment overall.

Choreographers: Kenan and Maya as rival choreographers I love it already. I got a big laugh out of "darkened window."

Barfly Awards: Such a dumb concept but I loved it. Cecily had to be the host or else she would've worn every award. I just died at "Peaches - 41 years old." I'll be honest, I have the closed captions on and I STILL didn't understand half he dialogue.

The Maya-ing: "Sum 41: when music was music." So true. I really liked the concept of a cast member coming back to host and reminiscing 30 Rock as The Shining. I loved the cameos: Tina as Gloria Zellwig! Rachael Dratch as the woman in the bathtub! And Gilly as the creepy twins! 

Maya made what mess of the material work, but that audience was just DEATH. Like, everything died against these folks. 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 15

Were the writers on vacation this week, 'cause this was one of the least funny episodes in ages.  Rudolph has had hilarious Kamala Harris sketches on previous episodes, but this one was terribly unfunny and wasted Rudolph and Martin Short.

And how old are the writers?  They seem fixated every week on making fun of Biden's age.  And then they go after Boomers as old people only concerned with themselves, who voted for Trump and who don't care about their children and grandchildren getting shots, just about themselves.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 23

I actually enjoyed a lot of the show. Maya always brings it. The Barfly Awards reminds me of something the late 80s cast with Hartman/Hooks/Carvey would do. And that Maya-ing last sketch was truly amazing, especially for all the true longtime nerdy fans of the show. I love the way they insert Maya in with the original cast. They never even did that for Kristin.

But yeah they weren't really trying with the Kamala sketch, which was indeed odd with Martin Short there.

I'm a little surprised Adam Levine is still welcome at NBC, but that's a long story for another show thread.

12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And Edith Puthie is back!

So happy someone else caught that!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Maya made what mess of the material work, but that audience was just DEATH. Like, everything died against these folks. 

It was like they were actively angry at the cast, although on the Kamala sketch, I can’t exactly blame them.

Small moment, but I liked Colin’s incredulous delivery saying something like, “These characters are supposed to be white?” as a picture of the rainbow of Sesame Street characters was onscreen next to him.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Even the actors seemed bored, it was that bad.  I also didn't understand why they bothered bringing in Martin Short if they gave him barely anything to do.   

I Thought IT Was Because Maya And Martin Are Good Friends And They Had That Special ! IT Was On That Special That I First Saw Mikey Day !

• Love 4

I already forgot what the last sketch was.  (Went back to read @Galileo908's summary).  Ah.  Ok.  Well.  Hmm.

I got REALLY excited when they were doing a "Hot Ones" sketch and felt really happy for Sean Evans.  Then, it wasn't even really that funny!

Poor Maya.  She's so good with the right material, but this was so... lacklustre.

Maya as Beyonce was pretty good when she was given material and I liked some parts of Update.  Other than that,...... eh.  The way that they wrote for Rege-Jean's episode - I don't understand why they just don't always do that.  😎

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, HC87 said:

Hoping for a funny, off-beat last sketch to salvage something out of this mess of a show tonight.

I Thought Week End Up Date Was Funny ! I Kept Laughing Pretty Much Through Out Week End Up Date ! Actually, I Don't Think The Cold Open Was Perfect, But I Liked Most OF The Show Except The Last Sketch Although I Can Understand Why Maya Wanted To Remember Her Time On The Show ! The Thing Is That I Have Always Liked Maya ! My Favorite Sketch Was When They Had Jason and Will Forte As Sports Announcers And Maya Sang The National Anthem ! That Was SO Funny !

1 hour ago, HC87 said:

What a total dud episode. I thought there were a few good moments in WU, and the VP Unity Seder had potential but needed about 5 more rewrites before it should have gotten to air. Maya as Beyonce was okay but I think Hot Ones is one of the stupidest most insipid things in existence and not even worth a parody. Boomers actually were the radicals who brought us the 1960s so I don't know why people think they've become somehow selfish and self-indulgent now-- not my impression of the ones I know, and their priortization for the vaccine is because they have been dying at a much higher rate than others, so let's not begrudge them any aid-- that's your moms, dads, and grandparents, you ungrateful little millenial shits....

Maybe next week will be better. If they can fuck up a Daniel Kaluuya appearance, they will really have outdone themselves in the failure Olympics.

• Love 19

*sigh* I miss the days when MTV did Spring Break specials. That was an eternity ago. How could that be linked to COVID for a sketch? I mean, it was funny, though.

I still can't grasp NFTs.. Thanks for trying to help, Pete! Also: you think he's on a quest to parody as many Eminem videos as he can?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

*sigh* I miss the days when MTV did Spring Break specials. That was an eternity ago. How could that be linked to COVID for a sketch? I mean, it was funny, though.

I still can't grasp NFTs.. Thanks for trying to help, Pete! Also: you think he's on a quest to parody as many Eminem videos as he can?

Ah, the good ‘ol days when stations like MTV and VH1 actually had interesting shows to watch. I miss that too haha.

I love me some Maya, but I barley cracked a smile during the opening sketch. And that Biden impression definitely needs some work.

3 hours ago, buckboard said:

Were the writers on vacation this week, 'cause this was one of the least funny episodes in ages.  Rudolph has had hilarious Kamala Harris sketches on previous episodes, but this one was terribly unfunny and wasted Rudolph and Martin Short.

And how old are the writers?  They seem fixated every week on making fun of Biden's age.  And then they go after Boomers as old people only concerned with themselves, who voted for Trump and who don't care about their children and grandchildren getting shots, just about themselves.  

Some of the late-night hosts do it too. I’m assuming they can’t think of much else to make fun of him about.

As usual (for me anyway), I liked WU. The sketches overall were mostly... meh.

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm really not sure what they were going for there with Emhoff.  Kudos for not making him some sort of whipped loser, but handsy creep isn't really better.

And the Biden impression just seems like a slight variation of Bush - not the brightest bulb and leaves the heavy lifting to the VP. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Boomers actually were the radicals who brought us the 1960s so I don't know why people think they've become somehow selfish and self-indulgent now-- not my impression of the ones I know, and their priortization for the vaccine is because they have been dying at a much higher rate than others, so let's not begrudge them any aid-- that's your moms, dads, and grandparents, you ungrateful little millenial shits....

9 hours ago, buckboard said:

80% of the people who have died of covid are 65+, so yeah, that entire song was super tasteless. Also the constant age jokes about Biden, who so far is looking like the most progressive president since FDR.

The NFT video, on the other hand, was outstanding! Pete is crushing it with his rap videos. 

I also liked the Barfly Awards, The Shining parody (LOLed at Maya skipping over Kevin Spacey’s photo!), and I’m a complete sucker for The Breakfast Club references. 

Other than the Biden age jokes I liked WU. No kidding, there nothing well-regulated about current militias. They actually do ask for two personal references on the gun permit application in New Zealand, so Colin’s suggestion isn’t as out there as it sounds. Cecily’s Sidney Powell Joker face was appropriately insane. And Bowen — ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 14

I thought the Hot Ones sketch was one of the funniest of the year.  I'm a huge fan, so I'm biased.  FWIW, Kenan was on it recently, so it wasn't a total surprise when they did it.  WU was fine, but the rest of the show was horrid, including the utterly lame MG. 

TBH, I stopped watching after the start of the Harris sketch and came here to see if any of the show was worth watching.

I can understand some of the disenchantment with Boomers, but to tie that in to the vaccination protocols was disingenuous.  And FFS, we are not the Greatest Generation and have never claimed to be-- that was our parents, who grew up in the Depression, won WWII and the Cold War, and put men on the moon. 

• Love 5

I thought the Hot Ones sketch was hilarious, I didn’t know we were allowed to poke fun at Bey!

The rest of the show was pretty bad, so bad I checked out early and missed The Maya-ing. I watched it on YouTube and wow, the regular writers did not write that. 

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I only recently heard of the term NFT when the Ocean Spray TikTok guy tried to sell his clip as a NFT for $500,000. Except he didn't have the rights to the song or the Ocean Spray logo, so yeah, basically just the footage of him on his skateboard. From what I can tell, its a way to buy and sell "digital art".... which is pretty much anything you can see or down load for free on the Internet. So say you were a total sucker and decided to buy the skateboard clip (without the music or juice logo) for $500,000 and someone even more of a sucker wanted to use it in a commercial way, they would have to pay you since you own the rights. There's also some nonsense involving crypto currancy and bit coin that is even more convoluted. Basically rich idiots being stupid and making themselves feel special and important? 

I'm enjoying Pete's Eminem parodies though. They are a fun bit when they pop up. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Useful 1

University of High School. Sounds about right.

I don't think most Boomers are over 70 but I guess it worked for the song. Meanwhile, I  was today years old when I got the Edith Puthie reference.

Good Biden portrayal but Doug Emhoff? Huh? Seems like they were just looking for something for Martin Short to do and that was the least they could come up with.

Still don't understand what an NFT is.

"I had sex with a ghost." That's a very old joke. ("Ghost? Oh, I thought you said goat.") Whatever, something about that barfly sketch didn't sit right with me.

Bowen Yang in WU hit it out of the park, IMO. I'm glad they let him do that.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

NFTs: Oh man, I remember that Eminem video. And It's explaining NFTs. I wasn't expecting to see Ron Funches, Digimon, and twerking Thanos on this show, but here we are. 

Yeah, here's MY time to feel old and have to explain the Without Me video to people.

I haven't seen that video in years and I forgot that (somebody playing) Morpheus is in the video.

Oh no no no lol. By "somebody playing" Morpheus were you referring to DR. DRE???

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

that's your moms, dads, and grandparents, you ungrateful little millenial shits....

That bolded part made me laugh more than the entire episode, except for a couple of WU lines. What a dreck way to spend 90 minutes this show was. Thanks for nothing, show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I like Maya Rudolph, but I thought this show was mostly boring.  There were some high spots though.

The Hot Ones show almost wasn't a joke, that's almost exactly what the show is like.  The Shining sketch was good,  I didn't care much for the NFTs bit, but just seeing Pete Davidson dressed as Robin Eminem made me laugh.  For some reason this line from the Covid vaccine song sticks in my head:

Pfizer, Moderna
Ya know ya werna
But you're gonna
have to wait your turna

• Love 1
14 hours ago, buckboard said:

Is NYC back on lock down? It sounded like there were 6 people in the audience, and 2 weren’t paying attention.

Even WU was restrained. The Vax skit, which had potential, had a fatal flaw. You can take aim at Boomers for a lot  of things, but they didn’t choose to get vaccinated first, that’s what the experts said to do.

The spring break dating skit should have mercilessly pounded all the dumb shits partying as we try to get over the hump on a  pandemic, but much like the actual spring breakers, it wandered off with no point to make.

I liked the concept of the last skit, The Shining parody, it just wasn’t very funny.

What a strangely flat show this was. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The Hot Ones show almost wasn't a joke, that's almost exactly what the show is like. 

That's true.  I feel like they could have inserted more humour, but they almost played it exactly straight.  Maybe they didn't want to hurt Sean Evans' feelings.  He seems like a really good dude, but you could lightly parody him and the show in a good natured way.  Which they kind of tried.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ahisma said:

80% of the people who have died of covid are 65+, so yeah, that entire song was super tasteless. Also the constant age jokes about Biden, who so far is looking like the most progressive president since FDR.

The NFT video, on the other hand, was outstanding! Pete is crushing it with his rap videos. 

I also liked the Barfly Awards, The Shining parody (LOLed at Maya skipping over Kevin Spacey’s photo!), and I’m a complete sucker for The Breakfast Club references. 

Other than the Biden age jokes I liked WU. No kidding, there nothing well-regulated about current militias. They actually do ask for two personal references on the gun permit application in New Zealand, so Colin’s suggestion isn’t as out there as it sounds. Cecily’s Sidney Powell Joker face was appropriately insane. And Bowen — ❤️❤️❤️

The FUNNIEST Thing WAS Cecily Gobbling Like A Turkey !

• Love 3

The Barfly Awards was the one  part of show I really liked a lot and thought was a great idea, except Weekend Update, which is almost always my favorite. I didn't particularly like the last sketch; I don't like it when they get so self-referential. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

Boomers actually were the radicals who brought us the 1960s so I don't know why people think they've become somehow selfish and self-indulgent now . . .

This is true, but the number of those who became selfish, self-indulgent-- who became "The Man"-- is gutwrenching.  One of my closest friends (since kindergarten) I could barely talk to for awhile.  I don't agree generally with the knock on Boomers, but I understand where it comes from. 

5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I thought so, too! I absolutely loved it.

The one that got me started was the Hitler's Fart (or whatever) sauce.  And then at some point he warned her about not rubbing her eyes . . . great stuff if you're a fan.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That bolded part made me laugh more than the entire episode, except for a couple of WU lines. What a dreck way to spend 90 minutes this show was. Thanks for nothing, show.

I went to sleep angrier than I probably should have been. Imagine my surprise to come back here today and find my rant was so popular!

I will say that I enjoyed Cecily as Sidney Powell and of course Bowen is the Bomb.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I went to sleep angrier than I probably should have been. Imagine my surprise to come back here today and find my rant was so popular!

I really want to use "You ungrateful little millennial shits" (-TM @possibilities) in a sentence to someone some day.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I will say that I enjoyed Cecily as Sidney Powell and of course Bowen is the Bomb.

Cecily is always wonderful. She's my favorite.

• Love 3

I have disliked intensely the political bits for a long time. They have beaten these to death over the past 4 years and I have never found them funny. They never seem to write anything funny just make fun of physical characteristics.

• Love 1

I'll address another elephant in this episode: Jack Harlow was AWFUL!!! I'd not heard of him before the show, and now I know I haven't missed anything after suffering through his two bits. Adding Adam Levine to that mess did not help, and not just because I have never liked hearing him sing and he seems to always have to be extra extra, it was awful 2.O.

What a waste of Maya SNL!!!

• Love 4

The Barley sketch was a hoot and Cecily slayed everything she was given.

I never cared for Rudolph's kind of comedy and slapstick, she never hit my funny bone. She's... sophomoric? Amateurish? She did nothing to change that, she was the least funny person in every sketch.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ahisma said:

The Shining parody (LOLed at Maya skipping over Kevin Spacey’s photo!)

I did enjoy Tina Fey as the 70s writer who had the idea that women should speak in the sketches. 

• LOL 4

I loved the Boomer sketch. I’m in my 60s so I am one and all my retired friends are vaccinated and back traveling. So we kind of deserve the side eye. 

I wish NBC would fill a boat of money and do whatever it takes to get Jason Sudeikis back to do Biden. His Biden is perfection. I say that as a proud fighting blue hen myself. 

• Love 3