Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: What Happens In Puglia (2)

• Start Topic

Airing on April 1, 2021, the second of a two-parter crossover with Law & Order: Special Victims Unit:

Elliot Stabler returns to the NYPD to take on the city's most powerful organized crime syndicates and rebuild his life in the wake of a devastating personal loss. The crossover starts on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit S22E09 Return of the Prodigal Son (I).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. I’m gonna hafta watch that shitfest after I stopped watching like...10 years ago?

Yup. (Not surprising, though. I knew Benson/Stabler would reunite somehow at some point.)

• Love 2
On 3/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Yup. (Not surprising, though. I knew Benson/Stabler would reunite somehow at some point.)

I always thought Stabler would return in SVU’s final season for a guest appearance just to give more closure for the character, but I never imagined they would give Stabler his own show. I’m honestly not sure what to expect from this show yet - it could be good, it could be awful. If Stabler has mellowed and his family doesn’t play a major role in the show, I think the show could be good. If Stabler is a rage filled jerk and has constant family drama, the show will suck. 

• Love 7

I never watched SVU just the original mother ship.  I will give this a try but I don't think I will watch the SVU part of it since I don't know the characters, etc. other than the cross over L&O episodes.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, khyber said:

I never watched SVU just the original mother ship.  I will give this a try but I don't think I will watch the SVU part of it since I don't know the characters, etc. other than the cross over L&O episodes.

It's the SVU episode that reintroduces Elliot back, so you should watch it. Otherwise you'll miss why/how he's back. But, up to you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Damn, I don't think Tamara Taylor has aged since Bones ended.

And Elliot's kids are still annoying, even practically grown. (I know they are in a state due to family events, but still.)

• Love 15
(edited)

So....that was a LOT. 

I had a feeling that when Dylan McDermott (or is it Dermot Mulroney? heh) was cast after shooting started, it was going to be for the antagonist role for some reason.  Then Chazz Palmintari showed up..."so wait he's in this? Huh...he's supposed to be Dylan's FATHER? Um ok...so he's going to die tonight." 

So someone needs to explain why Angela went to Richard after the hit.  I figured she knew he was involved but was there to throw Stabler off course? But I guess there is going to be some plot line on how she and the current wife do not like each other.  At all.  

New show, new theme, new Stabler? I felt this was pretty wonky and disjointed at some parts.  But it was great to see Meloni back.  I'll keep watching, but there is a rhythm that needs to flow a lot better than this, especially for a well known character and back story.  But if we thought Stabler had psych problems before, he is going to be put through the ringer at the end of this season.  And THAT is (oddly enough) is something I cannot wait to see. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

So....that was a LOT. 

I had a feeling that when Dylan McDermott (or is it Dermot Mulroney? heh) was cast after shooting started, it was going to be for the antagonist role for some reason.  Then Chazz Palmintari showed up..."so wait he's in this? Huh...he's supposed to be Dylan's FATHER? Um ok...so he's going to die tonight." 

So someone needs to explain why Angela went to him after the hit.  I figured she knew he was involved but was there to throw Stabler off course? But I guess there is going to be some plot line on how she and the current wife do not like each other.  At all.  

New show, new theme, new Stabler? I felt this was pretty wonky and disjointed at some parts.  But it was great to see Meloni back.  I'll keep watching, but there is a rhythm that needs to flow a lot better than this, especially for a well known character and back story.  

Yeah, but pilots are usually rocky, so...

That all said, though, while I get it with the night scenes, it seems even some of the daylight scenes are all dark with the mood (lack of) lighting.

It's annoying; none of the other franchise shows were all over that. Hope that was a one-off. I like to, you know, see what the hell I'm watching.

• Love 6
(edited)

Ok. I wasn't sure about this in the first twenty minutes when stabler was dealing with the janky international crew but clearly they were just temporary and that's why they were stiff and boring. But the son and the crime family really took this thing up a notch! And Dylan might just steal this show from Meloni.

The Ferris wheel and professor twist convinced me...I'm easy

So many words about Olivia and Elliot but think that is more appropriate for the SVU forum

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 1

ARGHH!!!! Those fucking producers/writers/co-creators are all FUCKING LIARS!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I read an article, blanking on if it was EW,  Variety, or The Hollywood Reporter where they said, they were quoted that they were not, NOT going to kill Kathy!!! Fucktoids. All of them.

[taking deep breath]

All the kids except for Dickie, Eli, and Elizabeth SUCK. And going in the shallow pool here, but it looks like Jeffrey Scarporetta, who plays Dickie, stopped growing 12 years ago! I expected him to be almost as tall as Meloni! UGH that beard!

What the Fuck, Elliott? You’re a cop! I expected better from him than what he did when he found Sinatra’s body. And no, he wasn’t wearing gloves, and he doesn’t cal it in?

Awww Bobby! Why you gotta play a murdering drug dealing, bad guy??

And Olivia can also just STFU as well. Ans her hair looks like she just rolled out of bed.

At least there wasn’t any of the shaky cam as there was on SVU, which I did watch and will vent my spleen over there next.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

it looks like Jeffrey Scarporetta, who plays Dickie, stopped growing 12 years ago! I expected him to be almost as tall as Meloni! UGH that beard!

UGH, UGH, UGH that beard!!!
Is it supposed to cover up that he in no way looks like he could be a Stabler? 
Or is it that he has a pet ferret he keeps inside the top of his shirt?
And I hate when they cast adult children as shorter than the parent(s) to signify that they're children. If they can't *act* like children of the star, they shouldn't be paid to act. 
End-rant.

I liked the theme music.

I liked the villain's kids and maybe the villain's wife. 

And at least Tamara Taylor and Dylan McDermott know how to participate in a crime series.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Damn, I don't think Tamara Taylor has aged since Bones ended.

I was thinking this also but went with "Serenity" which was everso slightly earlier. She looks amazing!
Meloni looks good, too,
Olivia showing up unannounced at the hotel was annoying. Don't grovel after him, Liv. He's back for mere days, hold it together.

I don't know that I'll watch this show week-to-week. It seems very odd the NYPD has people in another country... I probably missed something.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, shapeshifter said:

UGH, UGH, UGH that beard!!!
Is it supposed to cover up that he in no way looks like he could be a Stabler? 
Or is it that he has a pet ferret he keeps inside the top of his shirt?
And I hate when they cast adult children as shorter than the parent(s) to signify that they're children. If they can't *act* like children of the star, they shouldn't be paid to act. 
End-rant.

I liked the theme music.

I liked the villain's kids and maybe the villain's wife. 

And at least Tamara Taylor and Dylan McDermott know how to participate in a crime series.

Well only Kathleen and Dickie were played by the original actors who played them as children. Maureen, Elizabeth were played by different actresses who didn’t even get billing on IMDb. And  Eli was just a toddler when Elliott left the show.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

This wasn’t the most promising start for the new series.

On the good side, Stabler has mellowed out but is still a compelling character that can lead the show, and while I’m unsure who exactly will make up the investigators some of the characters showed potential to be interesting and I hope we learn more about them. If the show sticks to investigating organized crime figures and all, it could be good.

On the bad side - I don’t like continuing story arcs and it appears this will be the main theme of the show, at least for season 1, is a major continuing arc, I don’t like it. Also, Wheatley reeks of being a super villain, with his oceanfront mansion and smug demeanor, and I hate super villains. I have no interest in seeing the villains home life either. So I don’t like a lot of things about where the show seems to be headed.

I hope they reveal more about why they tried to take Stabler out, they didn’t really get into why the mobsters tried to murder Stabler, it seems like murdering a detective would be a bad move for the mob as it would bring the full force of the justice system down on them. So while it’s obvious Wheatley ordered the hit, I’m unsure as to why? Or did I miss something?

It was hard to keep track of who was who in places, both investigators and suspects. I hope things are less confusing going forward.

So I will stick with the show for now, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the premiere. 

• Love 9

I didn’t realize that I needed to see the SVU part to know the plot. I thought he was just going to be reintroduced there as coming back on the force and then his storyline would begin on the actual show. So basically, I didn’t know what was going on. And I was distracted by how Olivia’s face doesn’t move. (I stopped watching SVU many years ago.)

I like Dylan McDermott but feel like he picked up some campy overacting issues from working on all the recent Ryan Murphy projects.

• Love 15
(edited)
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

On the bad side - I don’t like continuing story arcs and it appears this will be the main theme of the show, at least for season 1, is a major continuing arc, I don’t like it. Also, Wheatley reeks of being a super villain, with his oceanfront mansion and smug demeanor, and I hate super villains.

Same as my thoughts: Hate multi-episode story arcs, and hate super villains.

Any chance they’ll wrap up the story arc and the supervillain in 2 or 3 episodes? 

Since this was advertised as a “two-hour crossover” are we done with the crossing over? Please? 
Yeah, I know, they’re bound to bump into each other on the streets of New York. 
But how often?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

Damn, Dylan McDermott and Tamara Taylor had inappropriate chemistry in that final scene where he leaned into her. I'm interested as to how that...threesome works. And it's good to see Tamara as an old-school Bones fan.

I KNEW I didn't see the old Maureen anywhere in that crowd! Elizabeth was so rarely seen back in the day that I don't even remember what the actress looked like, but I do vaguely remember Maureen. 

As I said in the media thread and on the SVU board, I'm disappointed they killed Kathy. I don't like the "perfect wife martyr" trope. They could have been long divorced. And given that they keep making the point that Elliott needs to mellow from his old ways, I'm not sure killing his wife and mother of his five children was the best way to go about that. 

• Love 8

Only first episode so I won’t be too harsh..as a huge Stabler fan I was so excited for this but wasn’t too impressed. Hopefully gets better. I didn’t realize this will be a continuing story for the entire season.

It sort of felt like one of those cliche CBS FBI/CIA shows and not a traditional NYC cop show which I would prefer with Stabler. I would have preferred Stabler leading some sort of NYC gang unit or whatever or something similar to the likes of Chicago PD (Dick Wolf should have had Stabler join Voight that would be something). Again, it’s only the first episode but none of the characters jumped out at me, at all and were rather boring even McDermott. Will continue watching but hope it improves.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

All the kids except for Dickie, Eli, and Elizabeth SUCK. And going in the shallow pool here, but it looks like Jeffrey Scarporetta, who plays Dickie, stopped growing 12 years ago! I expected him to be almost as tall as Meloni! UGH that beard!

I was almost in physical pain seeing Dickie. I kept saying "Why didn't they make him shave!!"  

9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Awww Bobby! Why you gotta play a murdering drug dealing, bad guy??

Bobby Donnell is still a creep!! lol

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Since this was advertised as a “two-hour crossover” are we done with the crossing over? Please? 
Yeah, I know, they’re bound to bump into each other on the streets of New York. 
But how often?

Spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler

Short answer is:  Chris and Mariska have been posting photos of each other on set AFTER this cross over.

Longer answer: at least two more episodes, but not sure which series. https://tvline.com/2021/03/21/law-and-order-svu-chris-meloni-return-season-22-more-episodes/

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TM101 said:

It sort of felt like one of those cliche CBS FBI/CIA shows and not a traditional NYC cop show which I would prefer with Stabler.

Yeah it did feel a bit like one of those CBS FBI shows. They should sue Dick Wolf for ripping them off!

I would have preferred Stabler leading some sort of NYC gang unit or whatever or something similar to the likes of Chicago PD (Dick Wolf should have had Stabler join Voight that would be something).

Yeah that would be something. Not something good. But certainly something. In all seriousness that would just be too much. Way too much.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Stabler left his fingerprints all over the cage....or did he have on gloves? 

I don't think he had gloves. My thoughts exactly was he left his prints on the scene.

I wish Chazz had been sticking around because I love him but I get the son couldn't/wouldn't keep him around. Though his character fit a similar trend SVU does a lot where they must make a bad guy racist to drive home just how awful he is, as if the crimes being committed somehow aren't enough to make someone bad.

This second part was better than SVU's part. I'll keep watching for now. Once the Stabler kids start Stabler-ing; blaming him for Kathy's death, after all one daughter had the nerve years ago to storm into his job screaming at him for halting his credit card when he saw unknown charges, not knowing the wife gave her the card for books, so this will probably get bad. On the SVU side it seemed like Kathy was giving Liv and Stabler her blessing so they'll probably toy with a relationship.

Liv was sniffing around Stabler out of bounds since Kathy was in the hospital, I'm shocked she didn't introduce Noah (uhg) to him but maybe they were keeping the little boy at a distance from too many actors due to COVID. I hope the actor did get to sled lol. Liv came off as clingy in both episodes.  

Interesting they're doing an ongoing case/villain. I didn't see that coming from Dylan and Tamara in the credits I thought they'd be on the law enforcement side of things. If the series goes another season I wonder if the plan is to bring in a new bad guy each season because I don't see how you can stretch them out. I hope they do some one off/side cases here and there because while I think they're decent characters I can see this getting tired week after week. I certainly like the angle of Dylan's character (Richard?) making money off the pandemic with drugs and fake PPE. It's better than SVU thinking working COVID into stories is having the cops wear masks but take them off to talk to the elderly. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Stabler left his fingerprints all over the cage....or did he have on gloves? 

Not only was he not wearing gloves and his fingerprints were on the cage, they were on Chazz's FACE to open his eyes to open the Face ID on his phone! 

• Love 6

First minutes of this episode, arrogant Stabler without a mask, just making his way to wherever he wants to go. 

To me this show is "Bad guys v Worse guys", worse guys being the NYPD. This glorification of one of the most corrupt organizations in this country is irritating. Hate watching, if watching at all, will be.

• Love 4

table for one here:  I'm fine with the characters not wearing masks.  How would we hear them, how would we see their expressions?  We all know we're in a pandemic, I'm willing to let the masks (on all show) slide for the sake of entertainment.  

• Love 23

I stopped watching SVU about a million years ago because 1) some of the episodes were way too gross for me and 2) because I got tired of Saint Olivia week after week.  Nevertheless, I did watch both episodes last night.   I'm not sure about Organized Crime but I'm willing to give it a try since I've been a L&O fan since the days of Lenny Briscoe.   

Someone up thread mentioned that Olivia's face doesn't move.  I'm sure that's because of all the Botox and fillers.  I'm glad to see Stabler again but I'm looking forward to episodes WITHOUT Olivia.

• Love 10
(edited)

FBI is a Dick Wolf show as well.

3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Yeah it did feel a bit like one of those CBS FBI shows. They should sue Dick Wolf for ripping them off!

Edited by ROEHUNTER
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

I watched for Stabler, having stuck with SVU for years, enjoying reruns more than new shows for a while now.  I like Meloni too, although I haven't seen many of his projects lately.  I wasn't really riveted but I didn't feel compelled to lobotomize myself with a grapefruit spoon like some recent SVU episodes either, so I think I'll stick with it and see what happens.

I never watched the other shows mentioned but realized I knew Tamara Taylor from "Altered Carbon."  I'm not particularly a fan of the "season-long arc with a big bad" in an L&O show, but it worked well on AC.  I wonder whether the producers think it could increase the show's life span if they can get one or two big names for such an arc and get an instant refresh of attention and interest every year.

I loved seeing the Wonder Wheel, and I'm glad they could get a check given the way their last year has gone, but I found that whole sequence pretty stupid.  Let's have a discreet meeting, on this 150-foot structure which will be seen turning for miles around.  Hey, can you get those lights off, henchman?  No?  Well, we're here anyway, what the hey. 

1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

table for one here:  I'm fine with the characters not wearing masks.  How would we hear them, how would we see their expressions?  We all know we're in a pandemic, I'm willing to let the masks (on all show) slide for the sake of entertainment.  

I agree, when shows go without them altogether.  What I find silly and irritating is when the characters, for instance, wear them as they enter the room but snap them off to have their conversation a few inches apart.  My perception, since masks have been so politicized, is that this comes at least in part from a desire to signal being on the right side of the issue, but I find it supremely distracting.  I wish they'd all just leave them out.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 9

I think the best moment of the entire episode was when Elliot whined about being profiled and Bell threw that bullshit back in his face SO fast. She was not having it and yet it is absolutely what a privileged, old, white male cop would say.

The Olivia moments didn't work. First, please stop acting like old flames or that you broke up last year. I can buy that things might be awkward, but not "I've seen you naked" awkward.  Second, why did Olivia just show up at Elliot's apartment building? It must have been close to 10pm and it seemed like she didn't call. Weird. And rude.  I did kind of laugh at Elliot's semi-paranoid/frantic/panting confusion at her being there. Meloni did great there.

Also, the music was kind of off. It felt like I was watching an old episode of the moody Equalizer or something.   The whole tone of the show feels more grim than a L&O show.

• Love 17

I forgot to say that, although I never liked the "Ellen Burstyn comes to terms with her own mental illness to help her granddaughter" plots from the Stablers, I have a soft spot for the actors who play the family.  I really didn't like Dickie's beard either, and not just because that's not a look I like in general but because it made it difficult to recognize the actor.  I liked seeing Kathleen and Kathy looking very much the same as when we last saw them, what 10 years?  I assume that's how Dickie keeps his hair in real life these days, which is his prerogative, but I wish someone had asked him to shave it.  For one or two days' work at union scale, I'd certainly consider it worth my while.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SHD said:

I like Dylan McDermott but feel like he picked up some campy overacting issues from working on all the recent Ryan Murphy projects.

I kept wondering when he morphed into Alec Baldwin.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I didn’t hate this and I like the idea of one case for the majority of the season. 

I am interested to see how Dick Wolf and the L&O writers can pull off a season long serial story kind of thing. Plus with it not being a case of the week procedural that means we probably won't get a Chicago Fire/PD/Med-L&O SVU/OC 5 hour super cross over.

10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Not only was he not wearing gloves and his fingerprints were on the cage, they were on Chazz's FACE to open his eyes to open the Face ID on his phone! 

That never made sense to me. On my phone if you unlock it with face or finger print it only unlocks until the next time the screen goes to sleep. And if you want to change security settings you still need the PIN. So unless Elliott was constantly playing with the phone at the Wonder Wheel then unlocking it wouldn't do much.

Also can someone refresh my memory, which Stabler kid had the DUI that Elliott made go away?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, AnnA said:

I stopped watching SVU about a million years ago because 1) some of the episodes were way too gross for me and 2) because I got tired of Saint Olivia week after week.  Nevertheless, I did watch both episodes last night.   I'm not sure about Organized Crime but I'm willing to give it a try since I've been a L&O fan since the days of Lenny Briscoe.   

Someone up thread mentioned that Olivia's face doesn't move.  I'm sure that's because of all the Botox and fillers.  I'm glad to see Stabler again but I'm looking forward to episodes WITHOUT Olivia.

This 1000 times!  I had to stop the Olivia show when Stabler left, so it was a shock to me saying some of the actors after so many years.  I would watch ever now and then, but Olivia and Carlisi (sp) were terrifying. 

Largely Meloni still looks ok, as does Tamera.  Dylan's face looks odd, but he was ROCKING those outfits.  Looks like between him and his family there will be some great fashion. 

The way it is going they will end up somehow putting Olivia and Stabler together no doubt with a letter from the grave or via one of the daughters that they had Kathy's blessing.   Personally I would love for one of these shows go for NOT putting anyone together and using that old stereotype that a spouses can't trust the people that their husband and wife are working with!   They are much better as friends. 

Yes, I was largely a fan of the "mothership" as well as Criminal Intent.  The first few seasons of SUV was ok and then it became something to do, but when Stabler left for the most part, so did I. 

I for one do not necessarily mind a season long arc as long as it is entertaining, nor do I miss the "law" part with an ADA.  The only thing I am disappointed about is that Dylan and Tamera were not on the law enforcement team. I would love to see both of them long term. 

23 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I kept wondering when he morphed into Alec Baldwin.

Spot on! 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, catrice2 said:

The way it is going they will end up somehow putting Olivia and Benson together

This works, since it would still be just Olivia alone; as long as they don't put her with Stabler, all good! (Sorry, I had to!) 😛

• LOL 11
(edited)

Heh. Chazz Palminteri playing Dylan McDermott's father. He's just 9 years older than Dylan. But OK, he looks older.

9 hours ago, ROEHUNTER said:

FBI is a Dick Wolf show as well.

That's the joke. 😉

Edited by themadman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I always thought Stabler would return in SVU’s final season for a guest appearance just to give more closure for the character, but I never imagined they would give Stabler his own show. I’m honestly not sure what to expect from this show yet - it could be good, it could be awful. If Stabler has mellowed and his family doesn’t play a major role in the show, I think the show could be good. If Stabler is a rage filled jerk and has constant family drama, the show will suck. 

It would be OK if they follow the NCIS thing with a sixtyish leader surrounded by a group of interesting people with some charisma.

13 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

I don't think he had gloves. My thoughts exactly was he left his prints on the scene.

I noticed that

• Love 1