Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: What Happens In Puglia (2)

• Start Topic

Agree with all the comments on the actors’ poor choices WRT botox, beards, etc., and since I can be at least as catty as anyone: WTH is up with Ice T’s “hair”? Is that the spray-on stuff from the infomercial? 
Dear Mr. Wolf: With an aging cast, you really need a hair-and-makeup consultant who specializes in working with more mature clients. Go find out who Meloni uses.

And, Mr. Wolf, while you’re at it: Don’t skimp on writers. You need at least one with the chops to drop some Lennie Briscoe snark, or else I’m out. 
Sincerely,   
Your audience 

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
On 4/2/2021 at 11:00 AM, mtlchick said:

Not only was he not wearing gloves and his fingerprints were on the cage, they were on Chazz's FACE to open his eyes to open the Face ID on his phone! 

🤦‍♀️ I thought he took a picture of his face and didn’t know what the point of that was! I didn’t even realize he was unlocking the phone. I’m going to pretend he immediately changed the Auto-lock function to “never” so the phone doesn’t automatically turn off again in a minute.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

🤦‍♀️ I thought he took a picture of his face and didn’t know what the point of that was! I didn’t even realize he was unlocking the phone. I’m going to pretend he immediately changed the Auto-lock function to “never” so the phone doesn’t automatically turn off again in a minute.

So if I'm wrong someone please correct.

1) He unlocks the dead guy's (Palminteri) phone by scanning his pupils

2) He keeps the phone and flees, leaving the dead body at Coney Island.

3) He then calls 911, using a disguised voice, on the dead guys phone, directing them to the body at Coney Island.

4) What am I missing? Did he really use the stolen phone to make the call, and why?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Did he really use the stolen phone to make the call, and why?

Well, he couldn't use his own phone, since he wouldn't want the call traced back to him.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2021 at 8:42 AM, Cristofle said:

As I said in the media thread and on the SVU board, I'm disappointed they killed Kathy. I don't like the "perfect wife martyr" trope.

I get it is the pandemic and obviously Kathy Stabler's funeral was last minute, but the woman seriously has no friends or family other than her children, Elliot and Olivia that would have shown up?   

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Isn't he working with a hacker? Maybe she can hack the phone? 

(edited)
59 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Well, he couldn't use his own phone, since he wouldn't want the call traced back to him.

I realize that, but he's using the dead guy's phone to report the dead guy's incident. If they track the phone back to Stabler, it will make him a suspect in the killing, and doesn't he already have a history with this guy.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, preeya said:

I realize that, but he's using the dead guy's phone to report the dead guy's incident. If they track the phone back to Stabler, it will make him a suspect in the killing, and doesn't he already have a history with this guy.

Let's count the ways...

Leaves his fingerprints

Used his Navigate in his car to find the place....traceable 

Regardless of whose phone he used they will be able to use the cell towers to show he was at or near the location at the time of death 

I will assume they can trace the message that showed up on on his work computer 

I am sure that someone saw him meet with the man before he died 

I am hoping this doesn't turn out to be the whole squad, including SVU ends up trying to clear him of a murder.    Liv will remember how freaked out he was...but stands behind him. 

If he were smart he would tell the task force leader that he got the invitation to meet the guy there, got there early, sat in the cage, thought it was a bad idea and left ...and was scared to say something at first for fear of being taken off the case. 

Sorry but I had to watch it again for Dylan's leather coat at the end....

• Love 4

If Stabler and his family lived in Rome for so many years, why oh why do his kids look so schlumpy?  I could point out the daughters in those shapeless sweaters but that would be sexist so I would also add the romantic poet son who also looks like a JC Penney shopper.  Surely this family learned some fashion?  Jeez ...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Had to watch. Love me some Stabler. He still sparkles, as we all do in our prime.

I love being entertained - seeing how the rich live (Dylan and his clan) - and noticing that money doesn't buy happiness (but, hey, I'll give it my best shot... just putting that out there for the universe to soak up and put in the asap file). No matter how rich they are, they're almost always riddled with grief, shame, hate, jealousy, etc. The richer they are, the deeper the problems. It's all about balance, in the end.

That being my opinion, I'd probably sell my soul (I'm not totally stupid... I have another one somewhere) to have Dylan's jacket. The fem version.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

If Stabler and his family lived in Rome for so many years, why oh why do his kids look so schlumpy?  I could point out the daughters in those shapeless sweaters but that would be sexist so I would also add the romantic poet son who also looks like a JC Penney shopper.  Surely this family learned some fashion?  Jeez ...

Wait a second? How many Stabler kids were actually living in Rome with him? Aren't most of them grown adults? Like most of them were teens when he was on SVU (including the one I mentioned who got the DUI) so why would they be living with their parents in another country rather than living their own lives?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wait a second? How many Stabler kids were actually living in Rome with him? Aren't most of them grown adults? Like most of them were teens when he was on SVU (including the one I mentioned who got the DUI) so why would they be living with their parents in another country rather than living their own lives?

He said he had five, there were only three in this episode.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, preeya said:

No. All five were there when talking about going back to Rome. Eli was crying; Dickie with the fugly beard, Maureen was there, the other brunette was Dickie’s twin, Elizabeth, and of course, Kathleen.

It’s also fucking ridiculous that NO ONE from the NYPD-Stabler’s former colleagues were at the funeral, or any of Kathy’s family or Elliot’s. Except for fucking Olivia with the permanent frozen scowling mask of a face.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, preeya said:

Really? Only 3 Stabler kids in the episode? I must've counted the beard as another.
But actually, there were 2 blond young women Stablers and the short beard and the younger, Italian-styled teen.
So who's missing?

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Really? Only 3 Stabler kids in the episode? I must've counted the beard as another.
But actually, there were 2 blond young women Stablers and the short beard and the younger, Italian-styled teen.
So who's missing?

All five were there.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, preeya said:

My point was that four out of 5 of his kids were alive and I believe in school during SVU season 1. So 22 seasons later those 4 kids should be pushing 30 if not in their 30's. So who is still living in Italy with mom and dad?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My point was that four out of 5 of his kids were alive and I believe in school during SVU season 1. So 22 seasons later those 4 kids should be pushing 30 if not in their 30's. So who is still living in Italy with mom and dad?

The youngest, Eli, who was born in season 9 of SVU and should be 13-14 years old. 

• Love 5

I was looking forward to this but now that it seems like it's not going to be a crime of the week show (McDermott and Taylor are series regulars), I'm not sure it's going to keep my interest.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

If Stabler and his family lived in Rome for so many years, why oh why do his kids look so schlumpy?  

LOL

I don't think all the kids were in Rome, only the youngest. When Elliot went back to his place, all 5 kids were there. Eli explained to his brother and sisters why he didn't come to NY with their parents. Also, Maureen I think asked when they were returning to Italy and I thought she was talking about Elliot and Eli.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

LOL

I don't think all the kids were in Rome, only the youngest. When Elliot went back to his place, all 5 kids were there. Eli explained to his brother and sisters why he didn't come to NY with their parents. Also, Maureen I think asked when they were returning to Italy and I thought she was talking about Elliot and Eli.

Yep

• Love 1
On 4/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, txhorns79 said:

I get it is the pandemic and obviously Kathy Stabler's funeral was last minute, but the woman seriously has no friends or family other than her children, Elliot and Olivia that would have shown up?   

What I thought was really weird was that they didn't pull Ice T in. How was Fin not at the funeral??? But yes, I also think about all the people in Elliot's life over the years. It defies belief that Cragen would miss her funeral, at least the outside burial service. And are none of their kids married, etc? And didn't she grow up there? Pull in a few more random extras, y'all. 

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Enjoyed it.  Don’t mind a long arc since he needs to find closure with Kathy’s death.  

I hope if this show doesn’t work out he comes back to svu.

As stated by @WendyCR72, the show has been approved for three seasons.😒 I was willing to come back with the understanding it was going to be a limited series. So far, I’m not impressed.  Elliott’s been making stupid rookie mistakes, and the way the early teasers came out, I thought he’d be heading the team. 1986’s Wiseguy did a better job.

The writers had time, plenty of time to tighten or fix things that didn’t make sense or wouldn’t fly. The fact that Julie Martin, who wrote for SVU, and I think the mothership, and churned out this amateur Crap? I know this would have been eons better if Rene Balcer was on board.

And I’m praying to every diety that SVU be put out of its misery. Fucking show is in its 22d season abs they cancelled the vastly superior Mothership? And  a big fat No to Elliott returning. 

Bitter? Who, me? Whatever gave you that idea?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was today years old when I realized Eli was short of Eliot.

I liked it. Chazz Palminteri never disappoints.  Dylan McDermott's character is a great antagonist for Eliot. I hope this means McDermott won't be on this season's American Horror Story.

Dear God, they need to acknowledge how codependent Liv and Eliot are. They can't keep with this will they/won't they thing. Their relationship is dysfunctional

• Love 6

Several commenters wonder if Wolf and the writers can pull off an extended story arc with one villain.

Wasn't William Lewis on for about 20 SVU episodes? Or maybe  it just seemed like it.

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As stated by @WendyCR72, the show has been approved for three seasons.

There seems to be some confusion, which I'll clear up: SVU (and the Chicago franchise) was renewed for three seasons, and the current season is the first of the three. OC is not among these. So, ratings will tell the tale as to whether this will be a successful spinoff, a la SVU and Criminal Intent, or a dud like Los Angeles and Trial By Jury. 🙂

Based on the combined history of above, the odds are evenly split at 50/50!  😛

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, faithie said:

Several commenters wonder if Wolf and the writers can pull off an extended story arc with one villain.

Wasn't William Lewis on for about 20 SVU episodes? Or maybe  it just seemed like it.

--which was when I finally stopped watching SVU on the regular

• Love 7
On 4/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, 853fisher said:

I loved seeing the Wonder Wheel, and I'm glad they could get a check given the way their last year has gone, but I found that whole sequence pretty stupid.  Let's have a discreet meeting, on this 150-foot structure which will be seen turning for miles around.  Hey, can you get those lights off, henchman?  No?  Well, we're here anyway, what the hey. 

I

Just a clarification here. But Mob Dad  and Mob Son didnt intend to have a meeting. Dad  was there to meet Stabler.  Son showed up on his own  and basically threatened the Dad into having an impromptu talk in the Wheel . That's why the Dad said "Youre early " he thought it was Stabler at first. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 4/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, WendyCR72 said:

There seems to be some confusion, which I'll clear up: SVU (and the Chicago franchise) was renewed for three seasons, and the current season is the first of the three. OC is not among these. So, ratings will tell the tale as to whether this will be a successful spinoff, a la SVU and Criminal Intent, or a dud like Los Angeles and Trial By Jury. 🙂

Based on the combined history of above, the odds are evenly split at 50/50!  😛

Oops! Good, then this will be a one and done, then. I mean, other than Eli, and Elizabeth (who, as an adult, still has no voice), his other kids are still giving him crap. Well, add Dickie to the list with Eli; I don't think he was giving Elliot crap. 

No change there. And someone up thread asked if any of the kids are married, I think that one dude standing next to Maureen is her husband.

And there's no "DA-DUM!" in this show. And I swear, they didn't have it in the SVU episode, either. Have they totally dropped that?

But SVU being renewed?? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU, NBC!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 6:31 PM, preeya said:

I suspect the writers set up the fingerprints on the cage/face along with the phone to make Stabler the prime suspect of Sinatra's murder for future episodes.  You know..........ooooooh, drama!  😲

ETA: Wasn't up to expectations and I don't know if I want to sit thru any more.  And I just can't stand a mopey Saint Olivia popping up at odd moments. Just......eewwww.  I'm just NOT "DA DUM" a fan of "shipping", especially when it's as clumsy as this.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 5
(edited)

So we can all agree the writers sold out right? Even though Isabel Gillies doesn't act anymore they didn't need to kill Kathy off. There ARE such things as an amicable divorce. The two could have just stayed friends and co-parents but the writers wanted to appease the Benstabler fans after a decade of not having Stabler on so Kathy had to die. I know many people hated Kathy but I liked her and Elliott together. I bought them as a totally believable married couple. So much for that.

If OC doesn't last more than three seasons and SVU gets cancelled, you don't need to be a clairvoyant to know that Benstabler are gonna end up together. As for now, they will just be teased with the possibility because there is no way they would stick them together right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Stabler got other love interests. Benstabler will only happen when SVU comes to an end and OC had already been cancelled. The writers took the easy fucking way out by getting rid of Kathy in a violent way so they could just shove Benson and Stabler together when NBC calls it a day for SVU.

Edited by Amazee-Dayzee
  • Love 6

Its been so long since Stabler was in this franchise, its weird to see him back again and outside of SVU. SVU and the original Law and Order were the only ones I really watch/watched (and I only watched the Mothership in reruns) but this seems like it could be interesting. Will this be mostly serialized, with Dylan McDermott as the Big Bad, or will it be more like regular Law and Order just with an overarching story in the background? L&O has always been rather hit or miss when it comes to long continuing stories and villains, but we'll see I guess. Damn Christopher Meloni and his super intense energy that I just cant ignore. 

Stabler's new boss seems like she'll be a great character, although they will presumably need some more supporting cast. Her calling him out on Stabler's ridiculous "I'm being profiled!" response to the understandable criticism of his usual antics was a great start for her. 

Olivia acts so much like Stabler's ex, its really weird. Its been ten years, build a bridge and get over it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

Even though Isabel Gillies doesn't act anymore they didn't need to kill Kathy off. There ARE such things as an amicable divorce

It seems the manner of Kathy’s death was a choice to give the character of Elliot motivation for the season arc, and, all y’all should be glad the motivation wasn’t an attack on Olivia at whatever award ceremony they were going on about.  
They could’ve had Kathy die of cancer or recast her, but that wouldn’t have triggered Revenge Stabler. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It seems the manner of Kathy’s death was a choice to give the character of Elliot motivation for the season arc, and, all y’all should be glad the motivation wasn’t an attack on Olivia at whatever award ceremony they were going on about.  
They could’ve had Kathy die of cancer or recast her, but that wouldn’t have triggered Revenge Stabler. 

Yeah, but unfortunately I think it served a dual purpose...revenge Stabler and putting the two of them together....ugh... They could have easily killed one of the children to get Stabler on the warpath....

• Love 3

Oh they could have had the attack on Kathy but she LIVED. Then Elliott split up with her and their children to keep her safe. Everybody and their mother knows that this was done to appease the rapid Benstabler shippers who probably are out celebrating that the obstacle to their one true pairing is now six feet under. There were lots of ways to get revenge Stabler and not have Kathy and the kids be targets.

• Love 6

Regarding so few people at the funeral - in my province in Canada there are COVID restrictions on how many people can attend funerals, weddings, etc. Perhaps that was the reason?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, mledawn said:

Regarding so few people at the funeral - in my province in Canada there are COVID restrictions on how many people can attend funerals, weddings, etc. Perhaps that was the reason?

My guess is the fewer actors as possible at the funeral scene meant fewer COVID restrictions. People forget they are shooting this during Covid and want as little risk as possible 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Thanks so much for the Wiseguy reference GHScorpiosRule. I loved that show!  So many rich storylines with well-developed characters. I’m not sure we’ll find those here. 

Edited by Clawdette
  • Love 3
On 4/4/2021 at 7:52 PM, Cristofle said:

What I thought was really weird was that they didn't pull Ice T in. How was Fin not at the funeral??? But yes, I also think about all the people in Elliot's life over the years. It defies belief that Cragen would miss her funeral, at least the outside burial service. And are none of their kids married, etc? And didn't she grow up there? Pull in a few more random extras, y'all. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

No change there. And someone up thread asked if any of the kids are married, I think that one dude standing next to Maureen is her husband.

I agree.

I want to clarify something with regard to Dylan McDermott's (Richard Wheatley") children:

1) The dead rapper, who was the son of Tamara Taylor (Prof. Angela Wheatley) and an unnamed drug addict, was Richard Wheatley's stepson.

2) The younger 2 children are also Angela's children, by Richard.  After the attempted hit on their lives, when Stabler contradicted their earlier discussion wherein she had strongly implied that the dead rapper was her only child, she then claimed that her other children had decided to stay with their father (Richard), but that the dead son had been completely hers.

3) Chazz Palminteri (Manfredi Sinatra) claimed to have some affection for the younger 2 kids, as opposed to the dead rapper, because they were partly his blood,

4) Then after the attempt on her/Stabler's life and the death of racist grandpa, we see Angela Wheatley at the home of her ex-husband and younger kids, the latter of whom she had led Stabler to believe were not hers/didn't exist.

Do I have that right?

• Love 2
On 4/2/2021 at 11:47 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

table for one here:  I'm fine with the characters not wearing masks.  How would we hear them, how would we see their expressions?  We all know we're in a pandemic, I'm willing to let the masks (on all show) slide for the sake of entertainment.  

I don't mind some mask inconsistency because that's real life.  What I didn't like was when all the students were in Prof. Wheatley's class, masked and Elliot so clearly wasn't.  I'd rather they put him in a mask while he was in the audience. If he wanted to take it off when talking to Wheatley later--fine. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, lakin1013 said:

If Stabler and his family lived in Rome for so many years, why oh why do his kids look so schlumpy?

Lotta shlumpy people in Europe.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, Fostersmom said:

I kept wondering when [McDermott] morphed into Alec Baldwin.

Is there something different about Dylan McDermott's eyes? I think he must have had some work done around them (lift, tuck, something?) but I mean his eyeballs themselves -- the corneas seem to reflect a lot of light? Maybe it's just the composition of the shots of Richard's face, but eyes seemed sort of flat -- depthless or extra-flinty or ... reptilian or something? It was creeping me out.

Chazz Palminteri actually saying the words "legitimate businessman" is something I will never not find funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Sandman said:

I mean his eyeballs themselves -- the corneas seem to reflect a lot of light?

I didn't notice, but that happens for a while after having intraocular lens implants --typically done for cataracts, but also sometimes for vision correction. Jimmy Kimmel's eyes do that.

But Dylan McDermott's "work" --whatever it was/if any-- seems to have left him looking less like he was. I think he also gained some weight and, like me, it shows in his face.

• Useful 1
On 4/10/2021 at 1:53 AM, shapeshifter said:

I didn't notice, but that happens for a while after having intraocular lens implants --typically done for cataracts, but also sometimes for vision correction. Jimmy Kimmel's eyes do that.

But Dylan McDermott's "work" --whatever it was/if any-- seems to have left him looking less like he was. I think he also gained some weight and, like me, it shows in his face.

I thought it was to indicate something about Richard's inner life (or lack thereof), but I didn't know about intraocular lens implantation.

McDermott's face has definitely changed shape a bit with the years.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 5:15 PM, mledawn said:

Hi neighbor, I am a Canadian also! When my Mom suddenly died on Mother's Day last year, even with having the ceremony at graveside, we were only allowed to have 20 people in attendance, which was very difficult since we have a very large family and the 20 had to include the Pastor and the funeral director. My heart goes out to anyone who has to have a family funeral during Covid restrictions. Luckily, we were able to live stream it but it just was not the same. Producing tv shows and movies has to be really hard these days, but with having to stay at home, I am just so thankful that they are being produced at all for us to be able to enjoy.

• Love 5
On 4/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

OMG, you mean the intraocular lens implants I had to replace my cataracts a year ago have left me with reptilian eyes?!  I hadn't noticed, but then I haven't been in movies or on TV lately.

First thoughts about the pilot:

I like the intro graphics and music.

The first face shown on the cold open was Olivia's big mug, not Elliot Stabler's, the star of the show.

I had to remind myself not to roll my eyes too hard when they invoked the name of Sinatra as their big bad Mafioso character.  Sinatra.  Really?

That being said, they've really stuffed the "Italians are racist and hate blacks" schtick down our throat.  And Elliot bashing Italians by saying they think they invented soccer in reference to his time in Rome.

So Dylan McDermott married a black woman to get back at Daddy?  Subtle.  Now Daddy's dead, which is a waste of Chazz Palminteri, unless he appears in flashbacks a la This Is Us.

I'm interested enough to see where this takes us.  My hope is Liv stays at SVU and rarely, if ever, encounters Stabler in his crusade against OC.  I can dream, can't I?

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

I thought it was to indicate something about Richard's inner life (or lack thereof), but I didn't know about intraocular lens implantation.

McDermott's face has definitely changed shape a bit with the years.

I hope that's it.

Also, I'm OK with no face masks on and off shenanigans and the family only gathering at Kathy's interment.  Perhaps they had a funeral service streamed online for everyone else who wanted to be there, off camera.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But SVU being renewed?? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU, NBC!

I couldn't have said it better!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

OMG, you mean the intraocular lens implants I had to replace my cataracts a year ago have left me with reptilian eyes?!  I hadn't noticed,

I noticed it with my mom’s eyes, and a student at the college where I worked commented on my “kaleidoscope eyes” after my cataract surgery, heh, but I think it goes away if you opt for the recommended YAG follow-up procedure. 

5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

had to remind myself not to roll my eyes too hard when they invoked the name of Sinatra as their big bad Mafioso character.  Sinatra.  Really?

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to comment on the character name Sinatra. 
Seriously?!??

• LOL 1