Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: What Happens In Puglia (2)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I noticed it with my mom’s eyes, and a student at the college where I worked commented on my “kaleidoscope eyes” after my cataract surgery, heh, but I think it goes away if you opt for the recommended YAG follow-up procedure. 

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to comment on the character name Sinatra. 
Seriously?!??

I guess they thought Corleone would've been too obvious.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was waiting for someone to comment on the character name Sinatra. 
Seriously?!??

I guess they thought Corleone would've been too obvious.

Heh. If they wanted to milk the L&O fan love, they should've gone with Masucci.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

OMG, you mean the intraocular lens implants I had to replace my cataracts a year ago have left me with reptilian eyes?!  I hadn't noticed,

I noticed it with my mom’s eyes, and a student at the college where I worked commented on my “kaleidoscope eyes” after my cataract surgery, heh, but I think it goes away if you opt for the recommended YAG follow-up procedure. 

ETA for @CrystalBlue and anyone else: I think only my AcrySof IQ ReSTOR IOL (Intraocular Lens) had the kaleidoscope/lizard eye effect. It has 12 concentric circular lenses of different focal distances with the goal being to be able to see clearly near, midrange, and distant. However, it's all a bit blurry. I have a different lens in the other eye.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2021 at 7:38 PM, WendyCR72 said:

The show isn't bad for a pilot, but the actor playing Dylan McDermott's character's father plays like the typical Italian Godfather stereotype.

I have no idea who Dylan McDermott is, but that was Chazz Palminteri as the gangster. That's just who he is.  Pretty offensive that you find the characteristics of Italian NYers to be a stereotype. But whatever.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wrlord said:

Piker. You ought to try some George Dzundza.

I don't know what a "Piker" is or anything about George Dzundza so I'd appreciate more detail.

ETA:  I googled Dzundza and he's a familiar actor but I still don't understand your comment.

Edited by AnnA
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I don't know what a "Piker" is or anything about George Dzundza so I'd appreciate more detail.

ETA:  I googled Dzundza and he's a familiar actor but I still don't understand your comment.

The piker thing, I'm not sure of, either. But George Dzundza was the first older cop opposite Mike Logan in Season 1 of the original Law & Order, playing Det. Max Greevey. (He left in S2. Then Paul Sorvino joined the show as Det. Phil Ceretta. Sorvino did not like what the cold New York air did to his singing voice [guess he sang opera], so he quit, and his character got shot then retired (he stayed 'til early S3 to wrap up his arc!).

That led to Det. Lennie Briscoe in S3, and the rest was history!

When WE used to have trivia during Mothership episodes, it was said Jerry Orbach actually auditioned for Max Greevey in S1! But Lennie fit him better than Max would have. (And let us not forget Orbach's S2 guest role as an attorney named Frank Lehrman in the episode, "Wages of Love", the season before Lennie debuted.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, AnnA said:

It has a number of meanings, including "amateur."  I was teasing you for not watching back when George Dzundza was the mentor cop in the first season.  People forget about him, Sorvino and Moriarty.

Edited by wrlord
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

hen Paul Sorvino joined the show as Det. Phil Ceretta. Sorvino did not like what the cold New York air did to his singing voice [guess he sang opera], so he quit, and his character got shot then retired (he stayed 'til early S3 to wrap up his arc!).

Nope, Phil didn't retire--he was "promoted" to an administrative position. And Elaine, Phil's wife, played by the same actress who play Masucci's (the show's John Gotti), said how it would be better for the family to have him home, blah, blah.  And yes, Sorvino did indeed sing opera and left because the cold New York weather was affecting it.

10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

(And let us not forget Orbach's S2 guest role as an attorney named Frank Lehrman in the episode, "Wages of Love", the season before Lennie debuted.)

"We were married for 25 yeeeeeeeeeeeeers!!!"*

7 hours ago, wrlord said:

People forget about him, Sorvino and Moriarty.

Not me. Ben Stone, and Max (even if he could be an asshole) and Phil, including Lenny, with Michael are my favorite seasons of the mothership.

*That will never NOT be funny! Shirly Knight (may she RIP) was so very good. But that line is sooo mockable.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"We were married for 25 yeeeeeeeeeeeeers!!!"*

Damn! You gotta stop with the earworm. UGH! (May Shirley Knight RIP!)

As for this show, what's the over/under on Stabler being charged with police brutality/harassment/whatnot? He has a rep to live down. And Mike Logan on Criminal Intent was constantly having his past history thrown in his face, too, so I can see it happening here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Damn! You gotta stop with the earworm. UGH! (May Shirley Knight RIP!)

As for this show, what's the over/under on Stabler being charged with police brutality/harassment/whatnot? He has a rep to live down. And Mike Logan on Criminal Intent was constantly having his past history thrown in his face, too, so I can see it happening here.

Hee! You brought it up foirst!

And Mike was NEVER as bad as Elliot.

18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The piker thing, I'm not sure of, either. But George Dzundza was the first older cop opposite Mike Logan in Season 1 of the original Law & Order, playing Det. Max Greevey. (He left in S2. Then Paul Sorvino joined the show as Det. Phil Ceretta. Sorvino did not like what the cold New York air did to his singing voice [guess he sang opera], so he quit, and his character got shot then retired (he stayed 'til early S3 to wrap up his arc!).

That led to Det. Lennie Briscoe in S3, and the rest was history!

When WE used to have trivia during Mothership episodes, it was said Jerry Orbach actually auditioned for Max Greevey in S1! But Lennie fit him better than Max would have. (And let us not forget Orbach's S2 guest role as an attorney named Frank Lehrman in the episode, "Wages of Love", the season before Lennie debuted.)

Thank you.   I don't remember the first season of L&O but the actor did look familiar to me.

15 hours ago, wrlord said:

It has a number of meanings, including "amateur."  I was teasing you for not watching back when George Dzundza was the mentor cop in the first season.  People forget about him, Sorvino and Moriarty.

I did forget about him but then again, my memory sure isn't what it used to be  🙂

• Love 1
On 3/11/2021 at 10:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. I’m gonna hafta watch that shitfest after I stopped watching like...10 years ago?

I went back to watch Stabler's return after not watching for a couple of (few?) years and I had no idea before tuning in that he was going to have his own show. I'm so thrilled. 

On 3/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, khyber said:

I never watched SVU just the original mother ship.  I will give this a try but I don't think I will watch the SVU part of it since I don't know the characters, etc. other than the cross over L&O episodes.

There were a couple of new characters I didn't know but I think the most important person to know is Olivia Benson, Elliot Stabler's former partner for ~10 years. It looks like she's going to be popping up in the Organized Crime show, too. I think the other SVU characters are insignificant. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:08 AM, mledawn said:

I was thinking this also but went with "Serenity" which was everso slightly earlier. She looks amazing!
Meloni looks good, too,
Olivia showing up unannounced at the hotel was annoying. Don't grovel after him, Liv. He's back for mere days, hold it together.

I don't know that I'll watch this show week-to-week. It seems very odd the NYPD has people in another country... I probably missed something.

He looks fantastic! 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:55 AM, SHD said:

I didn’t realize that I needed to see the SVU part to know the plot. I thought he was just going to be reintroduced there as coming back on the force and then his storyline would begin on the actual show. So basically, I didn’t know what was going on. And I was distracted by how Olivia’s face doesn’t move. (I stopped watching SVU many years ago.)

You can watch that final episode but you really don't need to go back-back. I think you'll get it even if you don't watch it. Since Stabler is interacting with new people, his past is talked about a lot. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:42 PM, Vella said:

I think the best moment of the entire episode was when Elliot whined about being profiled and Bell threw that bullshit back in his face SO fast. She was not having it and yet it is absolutely what a privileged, old, white male cop would say.

The Olivia moments didn't work. First, please stop acting like old flames or that you broke up last year. I can buy that things might be awkward, but not "I've seen you naked" awkward.  Second, why did Olivia just show up at Elliot's apartment building? It must have been close to 10pm and it seemed like she didn't call. Weird. And rude.  I did kind of laugh at Elliot's semi-paranoid/frantic/panting confusion at her being there. Meloni did great there.

Yes, kudos to the way she handled the "profiled" complaint. It shows an insensitivity 

I don't understand what Olivia's problem is. She has moved on with her life and it's not like they were lovers. Even if she wanted to talk about the letter (it had to have been something professional, right?), couldn't she call ask to meet up for coffee?

On 4/3/2021 at 5:16 AM, shapeshifter said:

Agree with all the comments on the actors’ poor choices WRT botox, beards, etc., and since I can be at least as catty as anyone: WTH is up with Ice T’s “hair”? Is that the spray-on stuff from the infomercial? 
Dear Mr. Wolf: With an aging cast, you really need a hair-and-makeup consultant who specializes in working with more mature clients. Go find out who Meloni uses.

And, Mr. Wolf, while you’re at it: Don’t skimp on writers. You need at least one with the chops to drop some Lennie Briscoe snark, or else I’m out. 
Sincerely,   
Your audience 

I do miss the snark. Didn't notice Ice T's hair, will have to go back and re-watch now. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2021 at 5:16 AM, shapeshifter said:

Agree with all the comments on the actors’ poor choices WRT botox, beards, etc., and since I can be at least as catty as anyone: WTH is up with Ice T’s “hair”? Is that the spray-on stuff from the infomercial? 
Dear Mr. Wolf: With an aging cast, you really need a hair-and-makeup consultant who specializes in working with more mature clients. Go find out who Meloni uses.

This isn't a matter of lack of skill/experience most likely as the BTS folks like hair and makeup, props, etc. tend to stick with a producer as long as there are jobs and it's not like the franchise hasn't had it's share of older stars over the years. Most likely it is the actor's choice. Meloni has the self-confidence to let them do their jobs while he does his which is not always true for leading actors. It's not like Ice-T's hair looks better in the CarShield ads or anything else he does. To borrow an example from another police procedural it's not the fault of the excellent BTS technical staff at Blue Bloods that Tom Selleck looks like he dipped his head in a bucket of shoe polish. He always looks like that.

And, Mr. Wolf, while you’re at it: Don’t skimp on writers. You need at least one with the chops to drop some Lennie Briscoe snark, or else I’m out. 
Sincerely,   
Your audience 

Now this is an area where he actually bears some responsibility. I think the writing of the series has been solid so far, given the circumstances of it being early days and having a lot of obvious external mandates to fulfill. Hopefully being new and with a higher budget they will be able to attract some talent and let them do their thing.

• Love 4
On 4/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

There were a couple of new characters I didn't know but I think the most important person to know is Olivia Benson, Elliot Stabler's former partner for ~10 years. It looks like she's going to be popping up in the Organized Crime show, too. I think the other SVU characters are insignificant. 

:::GASP::: 😧Bite your tongue, @love2lovebadtv(great name, btw)! Fin Tutuola will never be insignificant! Just kidding (sorta)- Olivia will of course be the most prominent crossover character, but I’m also hoping for some Fin crossover action. 

930FFC82-6B6D-48E9-A305-346FF56C63B5.gif

• Love 3
On 4/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, mledawn said:

Regarding so few people at the funeral - in my province in Canada there are COVID restrictions on how many people can attend funerals, weddings, etc. Perhaps that was the reason?

Another take on it is that COVID restrictions at a lot of funeral homes was 20 or 30 or less.  Some families chose to just have immediate family to alleviate the issue of choosing who of their many friends and other family members would have to attend and possibly causing hurt feelings.  I know that happened in my family. 

Just judging by the cemeteries on my routes and when we lost family most are honoring the size recommendation even if the local government didn't use force of law.