Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E10: Week 10

ByTor
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Interesting. I have never heard of this phrase in my life. I'm a New Yorker; is this a Southern or otherwise regional phrase? I don't even know what it means, but that oatmeal/milk/butter date had me gagging. And Bri's date was plain mean, a little tent set up in the Northeast, late autumn. Shudder!

@saber5055  I do try to FF through all commercials, but I saw something about Pooch Something. Looked like a show dog thing, maybe? Let us know if you're appearing on it !!!!!!! Otherwise I'll skip it, not being a dog lover myself. 

I originally heard it on the Bachelor, eons ago. I forget who said it. You'll be glad to know you can purchase the tea towel from Victorian Trading Co.

image.png.659cab88b309630f0e55894526fa9b03.png

• LOL 3
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That's a new reality show called Pooch Perfect featuring groomers who specialize in sculpting dogs and coloring them so they resemble "something else." I do grooming but not competition grooming nor shaping/coloring. So lucky you, my mug will not be appearing. Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm sorry, but sculpting and coloring dogs doesn't seem like it's very friendly to the dogs.  Haven't seen the show, but yuck!  

I do appreciate a good dog groomer, though.  I'm trying to get our new rescue dog to not see everyone else as the enemy, so we can get her groomed. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I'm sorry, but sculpting and coloring dogs doesn't seem like it's very friendly to the dogs.  Haven't seen the show, but yuck!  

Don't mean to go OT, but the color used is vegetable based, washes off and does no harm (I've tried it, I'm just not very good with it) and dogs used in grooming competitions LOVE to be bathed, have a blow dry and a beauty trim. It's like a plush day at the spa for them, but without the milk, butter and oatmeal. Come to think of it, those dogs will have a nicer time than that gross Butter Butt Bachelor date.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

Well, this was...an episode. I wasn't really in the mood for the show, and ended up watching The Neighborhood for the first half hour. I see it was a wise decision.

I love Michelle and she is way too good for this show, and oatmeal and butter themed dates.

I read about the conversation between Matt and his dad, and the show really went there, huh? Whoever had that idea to bring dad onto The Bachelor, I can still feel bad for Matt. 

I continue to be over Rachel, or Rachael, or whatever. She just came across as a moody, immature teenager. And nothing about her seems genuine. Miss No Confidence knows exactly how to get Matt to chase her, and like many past contestants, I think she just doesn't want to lose (Instagram followers). I could be wrong and perhaps she and Matt are having deep, meaningful conversations that have led to their deep meaningful connection. Lol.

The fireworks could not have been more obvious. I imagine the other girls had a fantastic time watching those.

Poor Bri, but the girl went into the fantasy suite guessing that she was already running a distant third. That's never going to end well. Especially after the producers send you into the Blair Witch woods for your date. *take the hint*

But just once, I'd like to see the post-fantasy suite loser be just a little blunt when they're kicked to the curb post coitus. (Maybe nothing happens, but the show certainly goes out of it's way to imply it does).

Whatever the issues with the cast, the show does itself no favors by continually editing out personality and humor in favor of incessant talk of Journeys, Vulnerability and Not Being There to Make Friends. Etc.

This show has jumped the megalodon.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, Arkay said:

Interesting. I have never heard of this phrase in my life. I'm a New Yorker; is this a Southern or otherwise regional phrase? I don't even know what it means, but that oatmeal/milk/butter date had me gagging.

Fellow New Yorker, never heard it either. Apparently it is an expression of surprise. 

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/67750/what-does-the-sentence-butter-my-butt-call-me-a-biscuit-mean/67754

It is an expression of surprise. There are quite a few phrases like this associated with rural America. The point is describe something incredibly surprising or that you'd never have thought someone might actually do.

Some more good ones:

Paint me green and call me a cucumber.

Slap me with bread and call me a sandwich.

Pin my tail and call me a donkey.

Now I'm trying to think of a New York equivalent but I've only had my first cup of tea and am not fully conscious yet.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Rachel Lindsay is "disturbed" by Matt's conversation with his dad and wants to know who "green lit" it.  Who died and made her Queen of Bachelor Nation?   More and more, I cannot stand her.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1246253/why-rachel-lindsay-is-so-disturbed-after-matt-james-conversation-with-his-dad-on-the-bachelor

From the article:

"I felt it in my soul and I had to speak out about it because I am so disturbed at what I just watched take place on the Bachelor stage—the conversation between Matt and his father," she told host Juliet Litman. "What's the one thing we know about his dad? That he wasn't around…that's it. That's all we know, which if you know anything about stereotypes assigned to particular races—here the Black race—you know that absentee fathers is a stereotype, so the fact that that's all we know about Matt's dad and one of the few things that we know about Matt."

No, Rachel, Matt's dad isn't a stereotype.  He's an a-hole.  He cheated on Matt's mom, he left and formed a new family (families), disregarded Matt as a child, and blames Matt's mom for leaving him.  

This hits home for me, as my dad's dad did the exact same thing to my dad.  My dad was 4 years old when his white, Jewish father left him, formed a new family, and disregarded his previous one, even trying to withhold child support.  Nothing to do with race or a stereotype.  Just a good old-fashioned SOB.  My dad made a conscious decision in his life to break the cycle, and became the most loving husband to my mom, and father to us, that a person could want.  

Matt's uncomfortable discussion with his sperm donor of a father would never have happened privately, because this A-hole wouldn't have come out unless there were cameras, and possibly $$, present.  The only way for Matt to heal is to confront this man, and realize that, as Dr. Laura says, he got in the wrong line for fathers, and....move on and make better decisions.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 20
3 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Rachel Lindsay is "disturbed" by Matt's conversation with his dad and wants to know who "green lit" it.  Who died and made her Queen of Bachelor Nation?   More and more, I cannot stand her.

If they didn't air it she would be complaining that the show refused to show the reality of the pressures black men face in this racist society that make it so so difficult to maintain a traditional family structure,  etc., blah, etc., blah. I'd be more impressed if she married a black man.

• Love 16

You all are killing it, mentioning every ridiculous thing about the ridiculous episode. Here's my contribution:

When Matt & Bri were "camping in the woods" you could see cars going by behind Bri & behind Matt when they were facing each other at the fire, so they were closely surrounded by road on at least two sides. Wow, really roughing it out there on that "hike."

When pig Matt sent Bri home & walked her to the car he had his arm around her & his gross hand on her ass. Then as she got into the car he put his hand on her ass again. God, he's disgusting.

The show isn't even trying to keep it suspenseful with the fireworks for Racist's -- I mean Rachel's date. Good, they deserve each other.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Same here. I used to like her, but that was then...

• Love 14

The Bachelor franchise absolutely loves to be a voyeur in staging and filming family members fighting.  Matt's interaction with his father brings me back to the  tense fight they filmed with Dean and his father on Rachel Lindsay's season.  I don't like how Matt says "I appreciate that" in kind of an insincere, emotionless way when women he's not as interested in confide their feelings to him.  I hate how Matt went ahead with hooking up with Bri when he knew that she wasn't going to advance to the final two.  I wish this selfish and misleading behavior was only reserved for Matt on The Bachelor, but it happens to women in relationships and dating these days with the prevalence of dating apps and "the grass is always greener" mentality in single guys.   

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

But just once, I'd like to see the post-fantasy suite loser be just a little blunt when they're kicked to the curb post coitus.

Nick Viall did just that, and he became the most hated dude in Bachelor history if not in the world, according to all the posts I read everywhere. He asked how he could be sent home after they had sex the night before. He just said what all of us had been thinking through the years. But oh my, the pearl clutching that went on after he said that OUT LOUD! (Well, and TPTB chose to air it.) And a new Bach Nation Villain was created.

Not that I wouldn't like to see that happen after every FJ elimination. The speaking out, not the hate.

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Fellow New Yorker, never heard it either. Apparently it is an expression of surprise. 

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/67750/what-does-the-sentence-butter-my-butt-call-me-a-biscuit-mean/67754

It is an expression of surprise. There are quite a few phrases like this associated with rural America. The point is describe something incredibly surprising or that you'd never have thought someone might actually do.

Some more good ones:

Now I'm trying to think of a New York equivalent but I've only had my first cup of tea and am not fully conscious yet.

Wow. Live and learn. Maybe the nearest NY equivalent would be WTF?

• LOL 5

OK, girls - 

You competed in boxing, in fear factor handling icky creatures, in paintballing, eating and drinking, and the weekly evening gown competition.  Now, for your final competition - yes, it's SEX!  Each of you gets one night to get down and dirty with Matt, and he will determine the WINNER!   Yes, the winner will receive the GRAND PRIZE of a ring, talk show appearances, interviews with PEOPLE magazine, and the chance to date and pretend to be engaged to Matt for the next 6 months, or when he determines that he wants to move on.   Get ready to display your best sexual techniques and positions, remember that the record, set in 2019 (though not technically a fantasy suite)  was 4 times!   

Go Girls!   F#ck that boy!  May the best woman win! 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Nick Viall did just that, and he became the most hated dude in Bachelor history if not in the world, according to all the posts I read everywhere. He asked how he could be sent home after they had sex the night before. He just said what all of us had been thinking through the years. But oh my, the pearl clutching that went on after he said that OUT LOUD! (Well, and TPTB chose to air it.) And a new Bach Nation Villain was created.

Not that I wouldn't like to see that happen after every FJ elimination. The speaking out, not the hate.

Totally agree re the hypocrisy of the outrage that greeted Nick saying the unsayable.  But I think it was worse in his case because of the gender reversal--people thought he was being a wuss for being hurt that they had done "fiance stuff" before he was dumped, and it also seemed like he was shaming Andi.  I wonder if it would work differently if a female contestant called out a Bachelor for the same thing.

Edited by Alexander Pope
edited for grammar
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 3/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, JenE4 said:

Dad started multiple families?! And then he’s turning it on Mom for leaving...after he cheated?!? 

“If we were going to celebrate, we’d go to Chuck E Cheese.” I started laughing about that, and the next thing I know Matt is crying saying, “I didn’t need shoes.(sob) I needed pizza and my dad.” Huh? I guess Dad never brought him to Chuck E Cheese after all? I feel like he must have said something else besides “pizza” and I just couldn’t understand between the sobbing.

Matt basically said that his dad would randomly show up once in a rare while and bring them shoes or a pizza. He said that he didn’t need the shoes or pizza, he needed his father. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Lemons said:

Up talk usually starts pre-teen and ends post-teen.  Are you saying that adult women are using up talk?

Sure adult women use uptalk! All the women on this show are using uptalk. Yes, even professional women and men use uptalk. Maybe it started out at the preteen level, but not anymore. Thank goodness my wife doesn't do the vocal fry and the uptalk. I'd go crazy!!! 🤪 

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

What a strange take from that conversation, its like she thinks that this was all from a fictional TV show and not about actual people and their actual lives. Yeah this show is obviously scripted, but Matt's dad not being around isn't made up, did she want him to lie about it? Pretend his dad was awesome and hire an actor to play him so that he doesn't perpetuate any stereotypes about black men? Besides, we do know some stuff about his dad. We know his own father was killed when he was young before he moves to the US, and that he was a bad husband and father and now Matt wants to be a better father and husband, I don't need to know more about his life. I guess they shouldn't have hired Matt at all if he came without a dad?

If anything, people should be side eyeing them putting this really private conversation on national television, especially as it seemed pretty clear that Matt's dad was mostly here for the paycheck that I am sure he got. Going on about how well Matt is doing, evading any real talk Matt wanted to have, it was just awkward. I do think its interesting that Matt seems so scripted and awkward so often with the women, possibly because he is so new to the franchise, but when he talks to other people he shows a lot more life. He was quite likable and charming hanging out with his bestie Tyler, and while the talk with his dad was certainly planned out, I did see some actual emotion a few times. Especially when his dad started making excuses for not being around, he just had this "ugh really?" look that actually looked like a real reaction and I did feel bad for him. His dad is clearly a selfish ass and I doubt that will change even if Matt wants it to. 

I wish the show would consider having the fantasy suite dates after the second to last elimination instead of right after, kicking someone out after just always seems so sleazy. Like getting shown to the door without even a cup of coffee after a one night stand, just its on national television. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Arkay said:

Wow. Live and learn. Maybe the nearest NY equivalent would be WTF?

As a NJ native (close enough), I’d propose: Are you friggin’ kidding me?!? Or just Get the fuck outta here! We’re not so colloquial.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Sure adult women use uptalk! All the women on this show are using uptalk. Yes, even professional women and men use uptalk. Maybe it started out at the preteen level, but not anymore. Thank goodness my wife doesn't do the vocal fry and the uptalk. I'd go crazy!!! 🤪 

I haven't noticed it in adults, only kids and teens.   It used to drive me crazy listening to my 11 year old niece do the uptake after. every. sentence.   

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I haven't noticed it in adults, only kids and teens.   It used to drive me crazy listening to my 11 year old niece do the uptake after. every. sentence.   

Listen on the next episode. Or go back if you can on the "Tell All", all those women are uptalking! It's hilarious! 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Some more good ones:

I’m in the upper Midwest wind have heard the “butter my butt” comment, but only in books or when traveling in the south.  It’s funny!

• Love 2
On 3/9/2021 at 6:16 AM, nickp1991 said:

I’m waiting for the day when The Bachelor has an unexpected pregnancy after fantasy suites

It's already happened on Bachelor in Paradise with Jade and Tanner 

In an impassioned Instagram post she shared on Wednesday, The Bachelor alum revealed that she and now-husband Tanner Tolbert conceived during their season 2 stint on Bachelor in Paradise but ultimately lost the baby.

Jade Roper Tolbert Suffered a Miscarriage Before Daughter | PEOPLE.com

https://people.com/parents/jade-roper-tanner-tolbert-miscarriage-pregnant-bachelor-in-paradise/

Edited by Kerri Johnson
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

What a strange take from that conversation, its like she thinks that this was all from a fictional TV show and not about actual people and their actual lives. Yeah this show is obviously scripted, but Matt's dad not being around isn't made up, did she want him to lie about it? Pretend his dad was awesome and hire an actor to play him so that he doesn't perpetuate any stereotypes about black men? Besides, we do know some stuff about his dad. We know his own father was killed when he was young before he moves to the US, and that he was a bad husband and father and now Matt wants to be a better father and husband, I don't need to know more about his life. I guess they shouldn't have hired Matt at all if he came without a dad?

If anything, people should be side eyeing them putting this really private conversation on national television, especially as it seemed pretty clear that Matt's dad was mostly here for the paycheck that I am sure he got. Going on about how well Matt is doing, evading any real talk Matt wanted to have, it was just awkward. 

Bit in bold - that actually was what Rachel's point was (from listening to her podcast ep with Juliet Litman) - that this was a conversation that should've been kept private rather than used for drama fodder for the show, especially since we hadn't really gotten any other info or context about him and their relationship up to that point other than he wasn't really in Matt's life much. I don't really know whether or not I agree - this certainly isn't the first time they've chosen to air something like this (that uncomfortable hometown with Dean's father on Rachel's own season, for example) - but I think part of what she was arguing is that black fathers who abandon their kids is a persistent and harmful stereotype and that even if Matt's dad fits that stereotype, the show choosing to air that conversation, particularly when this is a show that doesn't have a great history with regards to race, and particularly when this is the first black bachelor, feeds into the stereotype.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I don't like how Matt says "I appreciate that" in kind of an insincere, emotionless way when women he's not as interested in confide their feelings to him. 

The alternative is simply to lean in (eyes open just a bit) and plant a big emotionless kiss.  That way he doesn't have to come up with, "I appreciate that,"  "I love that," or some other bon mot.

• Love 4

On 3/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, CrazyDog said:

Whatever the issues with the cast, the show does itself no favors by continually editing out personality and humor in favor of incessant talk of Journeys, Vulnerability and Not Being There to Make Friends. Etc.

What kind of "celebrity" therapists have insincere/immature Chris Harrison, producers, writers, et al involved themselves in?  And for how many years?  They all speak/write psycho-babble.  Last year's vulnerability-vulnerability-vun-erability (some love to drop that "L") was gag-inspiring.  They all fought like hell to become vulnerable.  What did it get them?

And "journeys," don't get me started!  DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

Edited by Back Atcha
spelling.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, JenE4 said:

As a NJ native (close enough), I’d propose: Are you friggin’ kidding me?!? Or just Get the fuck outta here! We’re not so colloquial.

I'll take direct New Englander honesty every time.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

Bit in bold - that actually was what Rachel's point was (from listening to her podcast ep with Juliet Litman) - that this was a conversation that should've been kept private rather than used for drama fodder for the show, especially since we hadn't really gotten any other info or context about him and their relationship up to that point other than he wasn't really in Matt's life much. I don't really know whether or not I agree - this certainly isn't the first time they've chosen to air something like this (that uncomfortable hometown with Dean's father on Rachel's own season, for example) - but I think part of what she was arguing is that black fathers who abandon their kids is a persistent and harmful stereotype and that even if Matt's dad fits that stereotype, the show choosing to air that conversation, particularly when this is a show that doesn't have a great history with regards to race, and particularly when this is the first black bachelor, feeds into the stereotype.

Agree 100% with the bolded!

This should have been a private conversation.  

Unfortunately, I have a feeling (as many of us do) that this conversation would never have happened in private.  I very much doubt that Mr. Matt's dad would never have shown up just for a private conversation.  

Again, I go back to my dad's dad, who didn't even show up to my dad's wedding.  Or the birth of my dad's children (me & my sibling), despite living less than 10 minutes away.  

Men who are a-holes, are simply a-holes.

Plus, Matt probably liked that it was recorded, on camera with producers surrounding him, so that he doesn't come off as "crazy", or "too sensitive".  He spoke his truth, and Mr. Dad skirted around it, blamed, deflected, and made excuses, and Matt possibly drew on the strength of camera and crew members in throwing it right back at him, saying, no, you cheated on mom, she did the right thing and you did not.

As much as people like to rag on Matt, I actually like the guy and think he's a nice person.  I applaud him for opening up in front of cameras like that.  It couldn't have been easy.  Do I think Matt is ready for marriage & kids?  Nope, not for many years.  Matt needs to find a very special therapist who can help walk him back through his childhood and undo the unconscious shame he felt/possibly still feels, the "it's not your fault and it never was" that Matt needs to deeply feel, before he'll be truly ready.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 10
On 3/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, Rainsong said:

Then there is the Humira-taking lead singer girl with the tender tummy (yes I know about Crohn’s but work with me here) who keeps refusing food and turning up late to gigs because she’s in the loo. The band are as authentic as The Archies. The keyboardist stabs random keys with fingers outstretched. The guitarist is standing in front of the bass amp. The bassist is standing in front of the guitar amp. Both amps have the logos taped over – a cardinal sin among musicians fascinated by gear. How can each one hear his own instrument? The drums aren’t mic’d – he must be pounding them mercilessly to be heard. There is a massive speaker cabinet directly behind the keys player – she would be deafened by the end of the first number. And despite a sizeable amphitheatre venue, there is no other visible public address system. What are the singers singing into? The wind? What are the vocal mics for? Sorry but this sort of thing nauseates me. Maybe I need Humira. But apparently and inexplicably I need a TB test first. I freely admit I have played some rather unsanitary dives but as far as I know I haven’t been exposed to tuberculosis in any of them.

And I have sung all my life, but never once have I sung a song that only required my mouth to hang open with no effort to formulate words.

Wondering if the band style of music mimics Yoko Ono or something.

• LOL 2
On 3/10/2021 at 10:56 PM, atlanticslide said:

Yeah, I find it a little bit of a stretch to say that the show should have considered the stereotype when considering whether to air this conversation. If they were that concerned about showing an involved father, they shouldn't have cast a lead who didn't have one. 

But the weirdness of this private conversation occurring in public didn't even hold a candle to Dean's father on Rachel's season. That was the most uncomfortable family visit moment I've ever seen and if Rachel had been on the fence about who to choose, the idea of marrying into that family probably would have been a deciding factor. I don't know why Dean's father even agreed to do it, especially because he was clearly not buying into this "find your true love in 3 weeks on a tv show" premise in any way.

Back to this season, what a snoozefest of an episode. And those were some weird ass dates, mini-tent in the woods, weird rustic spa day with sticky substances and bear skin rugs (that was skeeving me out the most, it was clear that whatever they were dipping themselves in was going to make them stick to that rug). 

The Bri stuff was extra icky just because I think she (and everyone watching) corrected guessed that she wouldn't even have been there if Serena hadn't self-eliminated at the previous rose ceremony. So that added another layer over the FS date.

• Love 6
On 3/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, Dena0033 said:

Legitimate question - when they were filming this season, did Matt, Chris, and all of the contestants know how bad it was sucking, or are they just realizing this now that it's airing?

Unlegitimate* answer.  Every season they probably worry--and express concern that it's sucking...but somehow "know" it can be fixed during editing.  It's possible (this season) that everyone is fed up with Star & Executive Producer, Chris Harrison, (especially the editors) and even HE doesn't know what the final product will look like.     (*as opposed to "Illegitimate)

On 3/11/2021 at 1:41 PM, Starlight925 said:

As much as people like to rag on Matt, I actually like the guy and think he's a nice person

I agree...a really top-quality guy who got talked into something he probably regrets.  (Let's hope he doesn't become "part of our family," a valued "member of Bachelor Nation."  It's just some creepy/cheep fraternity of wannabees who "allow" pretty-enough women to join the various television forays.   Get your headshots, get your portfolios, and do the work (and not on my TV).

I applaud him for opening up in front of cameras like that.  It couldn't have been easy.  

It should never have happened.  He has been uncomfortable enough in "normal" situations.  I got sucked into watching The Bachelorette and then THIS MESS.  Never again.  Why should I feel bad while watching "entertainment" television?

Matt needs to find a very special therapist who can help walk him back through his childhood and undo the unconscious shame he felt/possibly still feels, the "it's not your fault and it never was" that Matt needs to deeply feel, before he'll be truly ready.

Great idea.  I hope his mother considers this and encourages him.

• Love 3