Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Illegal Eels and the Cantaloupe Man

jewel21

This episode description sounds a couple of weeks too late to be a Valentine's episode.  Oh...and throwing Wendy a bone after 6+ seasons?  Yeah - let's see if it's solid or just a vehicle to ridicule her

• Love 2

"Hate's a strong word, but it's the right word."

"One for you, one for you, one for you, one for you, and two for you. I'm no dummy." The bracelet inscription was great, too.

Adam's a good guy. I'd consider joining his cult (as long as it comes with Gus).

I know Allison Janney is tall, but how short is Wendy?

• Love 14
(edited)

Yay a Wendy heavy storyline where she gets an actual storyline.  Too bad it was a short lived one.  It would have been interesting to have her date a married man for a couple episodes before it ended.  

When did Bonnie become the voice of reason and the most together person of the group?   How did that happen?  Adam really was a good sport letting all the girls in on his romantic dinner with Bonnie.  It just goes to show he knows exactly who he married.

“I also have Robocop.  Impossible to see your current situation in that.  Unless there is something about Gary you haven’t told us.”

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

With every episode I miss Christy more.  Bonnie is so full of herself that she needs Christy to make her bearable - at least for me.  I find myself more irritated by the character than entertained. 

They also missed the boat with the reason for Wendy not telling them about the guy she was seeing.  The reason should have been that they never listen to her and she didn’t think they would give a shit.

Also why is Bonnie the only one allowed a real relationship?

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

We hoped this would be the Wendy episode we've all wanted but she was the C plot. Adam was the MVP. Bonnie really lucked out. I'm not doing too bad since my husband just got down on his bad knees to get my phone out from under my chair so I wouldn't have to.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That doctor is such an asshole.  Not only having the affair, but to be so blatant at work about it?

Exactly.  That's what surprised me the most. 

I kept waiting for there to be a twist in the story because Wendy tends to be surprising--So I was waiting to find out that he was in an open marriage and the wife set them up or that Wendy was not only in a relationship with the husband but the wife as well. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

It was very sweet of Adam to invite all the ladies to crash his and Bonnie's romantic evening.  And his gift to Bonnie with the inscription was perfect. 

Gus continues to be the MVP of any episode, heh. 

I liked that they gave Wendy a bit more to do but wasn't crazy about the married doctor storyline. 

• Love 8

Adam is just too perfect, at this point. Don't get me wrong, I love Fichtner - heck, he's the reason I started watching this show. But he's turning into a fantasy character. I'm always expecting some bad news or terrible secret, like he's cheating on Bonnie or something.

Wendy kissing that guy in full view was really inappropriate, so I wasn't surprised he turned out to be a creep. It would have been better if she had dumped him instead of the other way around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I truly thought the Wendy reveal would be that she was the guy’s wife & hadn’t told the group because they kept interrupting her. 
also with the Ode to Adam & Bonnie love this episode, I expected one or the other to be dead in the end episode tag setting up a rollercoaster for last few episodes. It really felt like a set up for a very special episode gut punch.  

• Love 3

The Valentine’s dinner that ended up including the whole group was very sweet, the highlight of the episode. It’s too bad Adam is normally browbeaten by Bonnie. That relationship is not as perfect as they tried to make it seem at the dinner. But it does show how welcoming Adam is to Bonnie’s crazy friends

• Love 1

I fully expected the episode to conclude with Wendy deciding that she deserves better, and making an empowered decision to end things - because that's the way those storylines pretty much always end.

Ultimately, I was glad the writers avoided that cliche. Especially because Bonnie and Jill are usually such selfish messes, so Wendy might as well get a moral indiscretion of her own.

That said, I was disappointed that she had the storyline was the third most important in the episode, and that she wasn't given more to do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought the episode was good, but Wendy going to Bonnie and being comforted by her, I don’t know if that rings true.  I would think she would go to Marjorie, Bonnie never really showed her any real friendship or respect.  Maybe if the show were coming back the Wendy relationship would have continued.  Poor Wendy, she got a one and done episode.  I almost forgot about that obnoxious guy Marjorie was dating, because as usual with this show people just disappear and are never heard from again, at least they gave some closure with him.  I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to these people before the series finale.  Bonnie’s brother, Patty, Regina, Violet, Roscoe, Baxter and Candice and Alvin’s sons.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I thought the episode was good, but Wendy going to Bonnie and being comforted by her, I don’t know if that rings true.  I would think she would go to Marjorie, Bonnie never really showed her any real friendship or respect.  Maybe if the show were coming back the Wendy relationship would have continued.  Poor Wendy, she got a one and done episode.  I almost forgot about that obnoxious guy Marjorie was dating, because as usual with this show people just disappear and are never heard from again, at least they gave some closure with him.  I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to these people before the series finale.  Bonnie’s brother, Patty, Regina, Violet, Roscoe, Baxter and Candice and Alvin’s sons.

I would hope so but because I saw somewhere that they are cutting the season short I wouldn't be surprised if it was just an abrupt end and no real finale.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, pennben said:

I truly thought the Wendy reveal would be that she was the guy’s wife & hadn’t told the group because they kept interrupting her. 

Since this is the last season, that would have been a fun finale for her character. 

• Love 4

Adam probably has to be nicer to the ladies because they know so much about him and he knows so much about them. The only problem is the ladies get all of their information about him through Bonnie. so it can be pretty much one sided. The only other woman that can dispute what Bonnie is saying is Tammy since she spends a great deal of time with Adam and might know his side of the story.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

I’d like to see Ned and Lucy from Gamblers Anonymous. I really liked Lucy

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Why couldn't they just have had Wendy dating a successful, nice single cardiologist? Why throw in the married part? Always making her a loser when in fact as we all already noted she's the most successful one of the bunch! 

I also think Marjorie is the one that deserves a nice man that loves her unconditionally instead of Bonnie getting the good guy. 

Jill looks cute and younger with bangs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

But he's turning into a fantasy character. I

I agree with his being a fantasy character but I also don't see any reason to object to that.  I LIKE that he's good guy.  I don't watch for realism, that's for sure!

2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I almost forgot about that obnoxious guy Marjorie was dating, because as usual with this show people just disappear and are never heard from again

And I say thank goodness.  I'm glad he disappeared, it was painful to watch him being a dick to everyone.  The complete opposite of Adam and I say no thank you to that!  

2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to these people before the series finale.  Bonnie’s brother, Patty, Regina, Violet, Roscoe, Baxter and Candice and Alvin’s sons.

I could see having Violet, Roscoe, Christy, Baxter & Candice back though I would prefer not.. I don't even remember who Patty & Regina were but if they're who I think they were, I'm good without them.  

Personally, the only character I'd like to see back is Andy.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to these people before the series finale.  Bonnie’s brother, Patty, Regina, Violet, Roscoe, Baxter and Candice and Alvin’s sons.

I feel like we pretty much know what happened to Violet and Roscoe. We got closure for those two characters. Roscoe is living with Baxter and Candance. Violet is independant and has a decent relationship with Bonnie, but wants nothing to do with Christy. The other characters I don't really care about.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know hanky panky goes on in all types of jobs, but both the married doctor and Wendy are even bigger jerks for openly snogging each other in full public view like that. IRL, many hospital employees would know that he is married and she is single. When I am in a hospital for whatever reason, I would not like to see two people in hospital garb in a lip lock. My mother had a wonderful vascular surgeon who performed several major surgeries on her, which of course, necessitated many office visits. It was quite some time before we learned that his nurse was also his wife. We never saw or heard any sort of intimacy between them or observed any other behavior that wasn’t highly professional. 

• Love 10

Man, Adam was so perfect in this episode that I had to stop watching and read comments here first to make sure he does not die at the end. 

Yeah, I may have watched too much tv in my life.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Gwenyth, too.

• Love 1

"Later, I'm gonna do something to you that's only legal in Thailand"

Was it just me or did Adam look a little scared😂😂😂

And for everyone who's saying he's too good to be true, three things:

1. Adam has his issues also

2. Bonnie's never hid what her group means to her

3. Adam's an ex-stuntman, you have to be a bit of an adrenaline junkie for that. I'm sure living with Bonnie gives him his daily adrenaline fix😂😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
(edited)

Wendy never seemed the desperate type to cavalierly date a married man (and being so “go fuck yourself” about everyone’s concerns) but of course the writers were just setting her up to stomp on her heart. Did Chuck Lorre develop her character as an “Eeyore type” or did the actress run over his dog?

I got dumped over email once, and it’d been a longer relationship than Majorie’s. Can confirm “We are never ever getting back together” is an appropriate reaction.

I’m not getting any feeling about the end game, but I think this was supposed to be a nice episode for Valentine’s Day and not really add much toward the finale other than confirm the women’s bond and Adam’s support for it.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 4

That would actually have made a much better story.

• Love 9
(edited)
15 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Baxter (Matt Jones) has a great job over on Bob 🧡 Abishola, which has been renewed for another season. I doubt he'd have time, especially during Covid! Ain't nobody got time for that.

12 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I feel like we pretty much know what happened to Violet and Roscoe. We got closure for those two characters. Roscoe is living with Baxter and Candance. Violet is independant and has a decent relationship with Bonnie, but wants nothing to do with Christy. The other characters I don't really care about.   

There you go! Thanks for the update.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

I would hope so but because I saw somewhere that they are cutting the season short I wouldn't be surprised if it was just an abrupt end and no real finale.

Could you please link to that if possible? This cancellation thing came up so fast, I'm kind of expecting an abrupt ending.

Funny how some Chuck Lorre shows drag on far too long, like two-and-a-half men, and others, like Mike & Molly and Mom, seem to end when there's still a lot of story left to tell.  M&M I kind of get, since Melissa McCarthy was on her way to becoming a superstar of sorts. Even TBBT went on two seasons longer than it should have IMO, but they ended well overall.

As far a Mom goes, the character's ending I'm most interested in is Jill's. I'd like to hear she's doing well in therapy and really dealing with her issues. But my instincts tell me this show's gonna end with all the characters pretty much where they are right now.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Man, Adam was so perfect in this episode that I had to stop watching and read comments here first to make sure he does not die at the end. 

Yeah, I may have watched too much tv in my life.

I was waiting for that same thing, or for her to find out he is cheating or something.  I hated that feeling in the pit of my stomach!

I was also worried about Marjorie having a relapse.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Could you please link to that if possible? This cancellation thing came up so fast, I'm kind of expecting an abrupt ending.

Funny how some Chuck Lorre shows drag on far too long, like two-and-a-half men, and others, like Mike & Molly and Mom, seem to end when there's still a lot of story left to tell.  M&M I kind of get, since Melissa McCarthy was on her way to becoming a superstar of sorts. Even TBBT went on two seasons longer than it should have IMO, but they ended well overall.

As far a Mom goes, the character's ending I'm most interested in is Jill's. I'd like to hear she's doing well in therapy and really dealing with her issues. But my instincts tell me this show's gonna end with all the characters pretty much where they are right now.

I’m going to post a reply in media.

56 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I was also worried about Marjorie having a relapse

I wondered that too, but now Cantaloupe Man has re-validated her worth!  And if Marjorie was to relapse it probably would've been after more serious moments like when Victor died or when her 35+ year sponsor went off the wagon.  Even the meltdown she had at the deli counter that Christy had witnessed.

I don't like that they're writing her as some frail, elderly woman.  Yeah, she's in her 60's, but so's my brother who bikes almost 25 miles a day, goes to the gym and runs.  I wish they'd stop harping on her age and referring to her as an 'old lady' (Bonnie especially)

On 3/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, bichonblitz said:

Jill looks cute and younger with bangs

Not crazy about her new 'do.  My fave was her uber-short pixie cut when we first met her.  JP's facial structure really pulled it off

KJ needs to dial it back with her animated ways she delivers her lines.  She just annoyed me in this episode

The inscription was awesome - and unique.  I've seen that episode so many times (Corn Flakes And The Hair Of Three Men) where they meet via a wrong number and remember Bonnie's first words to him like it was yesterday

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

The inscription was awesome - and unique.  I've seen that episode so many times (Corn Flakes And The Hair Of Three Men) where they meet via a wrong number and remember Bonnie's first words to him like it was yesterday

Coincidentally, that episode was just on the day before this one was. So I recognized Bonnie's words and went "squeeeeee!"😂😂

• Love 1

This is what happens when you take the Christie character out of the mix: You end up with a very full of herself Bonnie as the happily stable one of the group everyone comes to as the voice of reason.

I've always been fine with Wendy being the member of the group who apparently has a full enough life going on offscreen that she doesn't always need to be in the middle of their codependent drama, and I agree that it would have been much funnier and true to what we've been shown for her to suddenly have a husband they knew nothing about because no one ever came up for air long enough to actually hear anything she said. But that would have meant acknowledging that Bonnie and crew are in the wrong for the way they take her granted and we would have missed Bonnie of all people -- Bonnie, who this very same episode reminded us was once practically the human embodiment of Chaos -- getting to moralize at her and beneficiently dole out her wisdom.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Bonnie, who this very same episode reminded us was once practically the human embodiment of Chaos -- getting to moralize at her and beneficently dole out her wisdom.

To coin an old saying - if Bonnie is the wise old sage in your group, then you need a new group.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3