Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/01/2021

TheView
  • Start Topic

Monday, March 1 – Day of Hot Topics; “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, March 2 – H.E.R. (single, “Fight For You”)

Wednesday, March 3 — Tim and Fred Williams (TwinsthenewTrend)

Thursday, March 4 — Performance from Brad Paisley (single, “Off Road”)

Friday, March 5— Kathryn Hahn (“WandaVision”); Guy Fieri (“Restaurant Hustle”)

• Love 1

I don't know anyone this week, except for Gretta Monahan with 'View Your Deal' ! I sincerely hope she brings facial creams, toiletries and cosmetics with her, along with eye glass 'readers' all at affordable prices, because we haven't had any of those since last week. Maybe some day 'VYD' will be relevant, and she will be promoting the Moderna vaccine, or the Pfizer vaccine in 'View Your Deal' ?  That's what viewers REALLY need these days (not the other crap she's peddling).

I can't wait for Monday...

image.png.33ddb4f3d19f7a49019158f4639d77cc.png

• LOL 2

A new rule has been implemented for this forum (and is now included in pinned thread on the main page):

While we appreciate that Meghan McCain generates a lot of discussion, mentions of her in threads where she is not relevant--like those dedicated to other hosts--tend to derail conversations. Please keep discussion of Meghan McCain confined to the weekly episode topics (in relation to things she may have said on the show) and to her thread. Posts about Meghan McCain (and nothing else) in threads where they don't belong will be met with disciplinary measures.

I’m surprised Whoopi didn’t speak more on the Golden Globes diversity topic. It was like Joy spoke less to give Whoopi time to say something, but she only threw them to commercial. I wonder if the fact that the ladies were calling out the Right’s obsession with Fauci was the reason McCain ditched, heh. Either way, it’s always a great show without her. Friday is the only other show that usually hits that bar thanks to Joy moderating and Ana being there to add more levity and camaraderie to the group. And I’m glad the guest didn’t have to deal with any combative questions about her son.

• Love 20

That Elijah McClain story is infuriating and depressing.  I hope his family gets some form of justice because I can’t fathom why those officers weren’t arrested and charged with some form of manslaughter at the very least.  Will it ever be safe for young black men to simply walk down the street? 😢

• Love 3
(edited)

And I can't believe that neither Whoopi or Sunny talked about the moving speech Chadwick Boseman's widow gave last night. Unless Whoopi didn't watch and only Sunny and Joy did? But still.

Elijah's story just downright infuriated me, and I'm glad that his mother filed a wrongful death lawsuit. 

But the show would have been 1000X WORSE if Her SOURPUSS of a TWAT had been on today. Today also demonstrated again, it does not need her.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I’m surprised Whoopi didn’t speak more on the Golden Globes diversity topic. It was like Joy spoke less to give Whoopi time to say something, but she only threw them to commercial. I wonder if the fact that the ladies were calling out the Right’s obsession with Fauci was the reason McCain ditched, heh. Either way, it’s always a great show without her. Friday is the only other show that usually hits that bar thanks to Joy moderating and Ana being there to add more levity and camaraderie to the group. And I’m glad the guest didn’t have to deal with any combative questions about her son.

Whoopi is used to 0 or very few POC nominees, so to her this nominee listing, with a few POC sprinkled in (don't think there was more than 1 in any catagory), probably didn't seem as bad to her.   I think the panel also didn't address that it wasn't just the lack of black voters in the Hollywood Foreign press but also the exclusion of some critically acclaimed projects that weren't nominated like The 5 Bloods and I May Destroy You. 

The show has a history of sitting MM out of interviews having to do with police killings of black citizens.  May be another consideration on why she wasn't on today.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I can't believe that neither Whoopi or Sunny talked about the moving speech Chadwick Boseman's mother gave last night.

I believe it was his widow.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I’m surprised Whoopi didn’t speak more on the Golden Globes diversity topic.

Especially since she was part of the story.  Andra Day become only the second black actress to win Best Actress in a Drama.  The first?  Whoopi Goldberg for The Color Purple!

• Love 15

You called it right Whoopi, infuriating.  Now times that by 100.  Elijah did not have to die.(none of them did, but the focus here is on Elijah). He was a sweet kid.  Going to school, enjoying his music, wouldn't hit a fly.  But he was wearing a black face mask because he's anemic and gets cold very quickly. So that's why it was on. The 7-11 guy called the police and the rest is a very sad history.  Mind you it was a perfectly normal transaction.  He got something to drink and paid for it.  I'm sure he was nice and polite as that was his nature. So what would make 7-11 guy call??  What's the opposite name of 'Karen', 'Koren' ? lol.  I cried through that whole interview. Mama's strong though.  Im sure she probably feels she shouldnt have to be doing all this stuff, but the fact that the police/fire/medics ALL let her down, shes going to have to do it herself. Sounds like she has a good atty, although i didnt catch who.  My heart goes out to the whole family, and frankly the city too because they have to live and work with what these idiots did and are getting away with.  I dont know if i could work there anymore.  Good luck finding a partial jury.  Not that i mind lol i wouldnt care if they just threw them in a cell and throw away the key.  Maybe over Niagara Falls.  Never to be found again.  Guess thats why i live next town over and cant be on the jury.  Its better that way.  No way could they get a fair verdict from me

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Between the CPAC stuff and the appalling McClain story I’m not coming away with much hope for this country. 

Same here, I am trying to be hopeful but it gets harder and harder everyday.  

You have people deifying a human being by recreating the golden calf from the Bible, do they realize what happened to the people who did that.  

Doctor Fauci who has been in service to the world is being denigrated for no reason at all.  The hate being leveled at him is disgusting and vile. He has to have security to keep him safe..

Black people being dehumanized and assassinated continues with no end in sight.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, AryasMum said:

Am I too cynical in thinking Meg hid out today to avoid talking about CPAC?

Yeah, I'm thinking that, as a conservative,  Meghan couldn't figure out which side of her mouth she should talk out of. 

She has spoken against trump, but then the huge conservative convention (her people) praise him and applaud the view that he won the election, and that President Biden is an illegitimate president.  They dismissed the attack on the Capitol, joked about Covid, booed the Hilton representative who implored them to wear masks, and attacked Dr. Fauci.   So - Meghan is on board with attacking Fauci, but the rest of it?  I think she was having a tough time figuring out how to support conservatives without endorsing all that other BS.  Her identity politics and tribalism are in danger of colliding with reality as the people she aligns with worship a bizarre golden statue of a failed leader. 

I bet she stayed up all night trying to figure out a way to "whatabout the democrats"  about CPAC, and came up empty.  

• Love 19
26 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Doctor Fauci who has been in service to the world is being denigrated for no reason at all.  The hate being leveled at him is disgusting and vile. He has to have security to keep him safe..

Meghan is very active in his denegration. Let us never forget that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
9 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Yes, Meghan said she was "OVER"  Dr.  Fauci.   Like you can be "OVER" pumpkin spice lattes or avocado toast.    along with daily selfies, she's adopted teen lingo.  Meghan needs to start acting like a grown-up.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Pardon?

Oh sorry. @ginger90 . I was referring to what i posted just above about the guests, a couple of kids twins from youtube, called Influencers.  I made a comment that MM was trying out to be an Influencer lol heh

On 2/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, ForumLou said:

Really?  mmmmhmmmm......(Influencer.......)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

You have people deifying a human being by recreating the golden calf from the Bible, do they realize what happened to the people who did that.

I'm pretty sure many of people attending identify as evangelist. Did the co-hosts decide pre-show not to touch that? Because the lines write themselves.  (Someone on twitter said that he was wearing shorts so that people could see the golden calves.)

I missed Ana on today's show, or someone else to take the role.  I wanted to hear the take on CPAC from someone with genuine conservative beliefs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
39 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'm pretty sure many of people attending identify as evangelist. Did the co-hosts decide pre-show not to touch that? Because the lines write themselves.  (Someone on twitter said that he was wearing shorts so that people could see the golden calves.)

Sunny touched on the biblical implications of that golden statue.  Said something like it didn't work out so good for them...

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
(edited)

Getting ready to watch Elijah's mother, and I'm already crying just hearing that bit of footage of him pleading for his life and that he doesn't even kill flies. You can tell this tiny young man was a beautiful soul, and it's just heartbreaking the way he was treated. It makes me mad what happened to him wasn't a bigger story. I've heard a lot of ugliness about BLM and that it doesn't have the right "heroes." No one can dare say anything about Elijah, who was so sweet and gentle, he literally apologized to the police for vomiting as a result of their own treatment of him. 

When people are dismissive of the police brutality, they often bust out numbers saying oh it's not so bad, only this many deaths. As gross as that alone is, they're normally citing stats of deaths related to police shootings specifically. People like Elijah McClain and George Floyd don't even count. Most people on this board seem to really care about this issue, but for anyone who doesn't know or is around people who are dismissive of police brutality, please spread the cause. 

My heart aches for Elijah's family. I've shed many tears over him, I can't imagine what his family goes through. 

ETA: The police officers who mocked Elijah's death are also despicable. I remember hearing about that as well and was so disgusted. You mock an innocent young man's death, you should be promptly fired. (Vanessa Wilson, the interim chief of the Aurora Police Department, did fire them.) You are NOT someone the public can trust to protect black lives. 

I really hope Elijah's family gets justice. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Yes she is. Too bad Sara  dosen't ask why the Republicans have decided to denigrate   Dr Fauci at every turn, when Meghanis on the show? Meghan does it almost everyday, and the other hosts say nothing. 

Meghan mentioned on the show that her father was never invited to Cpac. Not true.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that, as a conservative,  Meghan couldn't figure out which side of her mouth she should talk out of. 

She has spoken against trump, but then the huge conservative convention (her people) praise him and applaud the view that he won the election, and that President Biden is an illegitimate president.  They dismissed the attack on the Capitol, joked about Covid, booed the Hilton representative who implored them to wear masks, and attacked Dr. Fauci.   So - Meghan is on board with attacking Fauci, but the rest of it?  I think she was having a tough time figuring out how to support conservatives without endorsing all that other BS.  Her identity politics and tribalism are in danger of colliding with reality as the people she aligns with worship a bizarre golden statue of a failed leader. 

I bet she stayed up all night trying to figure out a way to "whatabout the democrats"  about CPAC, and came up empty.  

Re: Meghan...that’s exactly what I told my husband.  The line was too fine for her tread...too difficult to sound like someone who doesn’t support trump as well as being a conservative/Republican.  Nice without her though.  

• Love 8

I really enjoyed today's show.  Everyone had a chance to speak and respond to each other.  I have to say that Joy's comparing the Republicans to cannibalistic turtles - LOL.  

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
(edited)

Digesting today's show...

1. Like it was previously mentioned, no doubt Meganutz skipped today's show just to avoid the CPAC conversation, and have to answer questions being the only conservative female mid-30s, new mother host on mainstream media.  It's tough being her.

2. The Elijah segment was heartbreaking for many reasons - for me, it's to wonder the young man he'd be today at 25. However, it was very hard for me to watch the interview because I was distracted by his mother's five o'clock shadow and mustache. C'mon - am I the only one who caught that ?

3. I guess we're ditching the toiletries and eye glass readers and now pushing overpriced reusable straws with Gretta! Seriously - for the past year she has brought out a company's overpriced 'reusable straws' every other month, which makes Sara all giddy like a five year old. If these damn overpriced straws ($13 is HALF price ????)  are reusable - why do we have to keep buying different ones ?

4. As for the Golden Globes discussion, they should have skipped it - no one really seemed to care about them, and really didn't know what to say.  Let's face it - how can you have a discussion when half the panel didn't bother to watch (maybe more than half - not sure if Whoopi did, as she was kind of dancing around the answer).

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 2
(edited)

No Meg again. She couldn’t face siding with DeBlasio in criticizing Cuomo. What a dilemma!

It’s interesting that the discussion of racist imagery in Dr Seuss didn’t include Disney posting a disclaimer (as Sara suggested) for the Muppets for offensive racial stereotypes.

I enjoyed the interview with HER. I’d heard some of her music but didn’t know much about her. She is lovely. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Let's face it - how can you have a discussion when half the panel didn't bother to watch (maybe more than half - not sure if Whoopi did, as she was kind of dancing around the answer).

That's never stopped them before.  They've had conversations where none of the panelists knew what they were talking about.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)

Whoopie, once again, voices her complete indifference to her job when she said she hadn’t read what they were talking about.  Whenever she says something like that I always try to imagine my boss’ reaction, before I retired, if he had been talking to me and I had said, “I didn’t read your message because I don’t give a flying f.”

Edited by Axie
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I enjoyed the interview with HER. I’d heard some of her music but didn’t know much about her. She is lovely. 

On one of my only 2 trips to the mall last year, because, COVID, I heard a song that stopped me in my tracks.  I googled it and it was H.E.R.'s Hard Place.  It's one of those very cool songs that sounds new but also sounds like a song you've loved for 20 yrs.  It has a late 90s - early 2000s R&B vibe to it.  That was my intro to her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Unpaid internships - I wonder if Joy did any student teaching - isn't that a type of unpaid internship? There's no compensation, and the student works for at least a semester in an actual school taking responsibility for creating lesson plans and teaching classes. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Unpaid internships - I wonder if Joy did any student teaching - isn't that a type of unpaid internship? There's no compensation, and the student works for at least a semester in an actual school taking responsibility for creating lesson plans and teaching classes. 

That's exactly what Joy said--that there are internships out there where a student would do for a semester and receive compensation in the form of college credit. That's exactly what I got for both my college internships working at the local ABC affiliate and news radio station. Back when I was a Broadcast Journalism major. Those experiences were worth it, even though I never did anything with my degree, but that's a whole other conversation best suited for the Small Talk Thread.

So hearing about the flak this reporter was getting for offering unpaid internships to journalism students (the show didn't keep her Tweet up long enough for me to read it all) just had me shaking my head. And I'm with Whoopi and Joy on that.

Also in agreement with them about the discussion about the Dr. Seuss books. It's like erasing parts of history that are bad/wrong. Joy is right: they are teachable moments. But hey, the estate of Dr. Seuss isn't the government, and they can do what they feel they must.

But yes, what a great episode. I laughed my ass off when Whoopi told the camera/producers that she went over her time, and "I apahagize" with that look.

So many times this show infuriates me, but why can't the network, like with sports, when they go overtime, just start the news later, even if it delays all other programming? Or is that a right only for Prime Time? Because they were all on a roll, and the conversation was flowing, and dammit, I thought it was cute that Ana was trying to wish her hubby a happy anniversary, and Whoopi got cut off, because, you know, air time ovah.

1 hour ago, falltime said:

LoL @ those "mean" tweets Sara read in the intern segment. Did they not let her read actual mean ones.

They weren't read as "mean' tweets, but Sara was reading the "flak" the journalist was getting, and the language and tone were really off putting.

1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

On one of my only 2 trips to the mall last year, because, COVID, I heard a song that stopped me in my tracks.  I googled it and it was H.E.R.'s Hard Place.  It's one of those very cool songs that sounds new but also sounds like a song you've loved for 20 yrs.  It has a late 90s - early 2000s R&B vibe to it.  That was my intro to her. 

She is so lovely indeed! And that clip gave me goose bumps! I remembered that! And she was only 10! Girl's got some major PIPES.

1 hour ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I was confused by Joy's comments on Lindsey Graham. Was she saying that it's a good thing that Kristen Gillibrand changed her tune with regards to Cuomo? I hope that's not the case.

Two things with what Joy said. She was mocking Graham, because he was saying they investigated before confirming Kavanaugh and whoever, when in fact, they didn't. They didn't let the FBI finish their investigation and the Senate pushed him through. Joy was mocking him, but agreed that there should be an investigation---something that Gillibrand refused to consider with Franken. And that she "learned her lesson" from that and is stating/agreeing that there should be an investigation as to the charges against Cuomo, instead of a "RESIGN NOW!" mantra. Franken was open to an investigation, but Gillibrand was demanding his resignation without one, and she got it.

That's what I think Joy meant.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I was confused by Joy's comments on Lindsey Graham. Was she saying that it's a good thing that Kristen Gillibrand changed her tune with regards to Cuomo? I hope that's not the case.

She was saying that Democrats tend to rush to judgment when a fellow Democrat is accused and start screaming for them to resign like Kirsten did with Al Franken.  Whereas Republicans tend to circle the wagon around whoever is accused of misconduct.  Ana even mentioned several Republicans who have accusations leveled at them and nobody from their party is screaming about resignation. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 16
32 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

She was saying that Democrats tend to rush to judgment when a fellow Democrat is accused and start screaming for them to resign like Kirsten did with Al Franken.  Whereas Republicans tend to circle the wagon around whoever is accused of misconduct.  Ana even mentioned several Republicans who have accusations leveled at them and nobody from their party is screaming about resignation. 

Really, there should be some middle ground there. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Really, there should be some middle ground there. 

Honestly, either party should get the most scrutiny. I hate how one takes the most blame while the other party does not take full responsibility. I mean, there is that young senator from North Carolina who has a lot of flaws and allegations in his closet before his political career. I mean, Holy Moly.....hypocrisy much?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I understand the unpaid internships but in today’s world I think Ana is correct...too many deserving kids won’t be able to accept an unpaid gig as they don’t have the financial ability to do so.  Those internships should, at the least, pay living expenses and a small stipend to level the playing field.  

• Love 7