Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Re air tags.   Like most things, technology moves faster than the law.   Some states are just updated their laws to cover surveillance vehicles on vehicles by non-PIs.   The courts are still getting up to speed on what air tags even are.    Let alone how they work.   But yeah, this was  a good idea by Apple as an easy way to find lost stuff.   But they didn't think it through.

Look how many apps require location to be on to be used properly.   Guess who exploits that little fact?   Abusers.    So victims can't even use google maps properly to get places because they can't turn on precise location on their phones.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh man….I do feel for her.  A hand injury is tough.  I had a terrible infection in just one finger and the pain was indescribable.  I also had nerve damage and it took a year to heal, leaving permanent numbness.  Plus, she had the mental trauma from the attack. I wonder why they didn’t charge the man who assaulted her.  

Has never been found, but maybe that's not what you mean.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Has never been found, but maybe that's not what you mean.

Yes, that what I meant.  I thought they did know who he was, since they have him on video cameras.  

Does anyone know what the deal is with this divorce?  Valerie seems to be ecstatic to be out of her former marriage.  For years, she seemed very happy with her husband.  He appeared on her cooking shows, where they seemed very much in love.  Then, suddenly it was over.  I never read what happened.  

https://people.com/food/valerie-bertinelli-celebrates-being-officially-divorced-from-tom-vitale-second-best-day-of-my-life/

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, that what I meant.  I thought they did know who he was, since they have him on video cameras.  

Does anyone know what the deal is with this divorce?  Valerie seems to be ecstatic to be out of her former marriage.  For years, she seemed very happy with her husband.  He appeared on her cooking shows, where they seemed very much in love.  Then, suddenly it was over.  I never read what happened.  

https://people.com/food/valerie-bertinelli-celebrates-being-officially-divorced-from-tom-vitale-second-best-day-of-my-life/

I read her most recent book and IIRC she wrote about a trip they took to Italy.  Food, food and more food.  

She wrote about Eddie much more.  Most celebrity divorces I just think another one bites the dust but when I heard about Eddie and Valerie divorcing I was sad.  I loved them as a couple.  Of course I know now she dealt with a lot being married to him but I'm glad they remained friends. Doesn't sound like she will be remaining friends with this ex husband.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Within this article they say: "Per court documents obtained by PEOPLE in September, proceedings were settled by a private judge".  Hell it's not like Bertinelli was being coy, she shared, maybe even overshared, a lot but it still wasn't enough for PEOPLE.

I am so glad that I will never excite the slightest bit of interest from the media about any aspect of my life (well hopefully I guess there is always a chance I could win a few million in a lottery - if I bought lottery tickets).  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I'm sure I might get flamed for this (no pun intended) but good. Jay Leno is an a**hole.

I've gone over many times in the Forums why I believe Mr. Leno is a smarmy,backstabbing entitled and phony jerk.

HOWEVER, even with all the above said, I don't think he deserved to have been seriously burned and I'm happy to hear that he's recovering. Hence, I wish him a thorough recovery and a long, healthy life preferably living in comfortable retirement from any showbiz outlets - and TOTALLY away from any programs or TV shows I would otherwise have interest in watching since I find him completely unentertaining and have zero interest in watching him or even minutely patronizing anything he's in.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I'm sure I might get flamed for this (no pun intended) but good. Jay Leno is an a**hole.

Never liked Jay Leno.  How he became Johnny Carson's successor was so fucked up a book was written and then a movie was made about it.  Then he fucked up Conan taking over the Tonight show.  Don't find him funny at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I've gone over many times in the Forums why I believe Mr. Leno is a smarmy,backstabbing entitled and phony jerk.

HOWEVER, even with all the above said, I don't think he deserved to have been seriously burned and I'm happy to hear that he's recovering. Hence, I wish him a thorough recovery and a long, healthy life preferably living in comfortable retirement from any showbiz outlets - and TOTALLY away from any programs or TV shows I would otherwise have interest in watching since I find him completely unentertaining and have zero interest in watching him or even minutely patronizing anything he's in.

Agree. Leno is an asshole, but I don't think he deserves to be literally burned alive. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7
On 11/23/2022 at 7:36 AM, merylinkid said:

Re air tags.   Like most things, technology moves faster than the law.   Some states are just updated their laws to cover surveillance vehicles on vehicles by non-PIs.   The courts are still getting up to speed on what air tags even are.    Let alone how they work.   But yeah, this was  a good idea by Apple as an easy way to find lost stuff.   But they didn't think it through.

Look how many apps require location to be on to be used properly.   Guess who exploits that little fact?   Abusers.    So victims can't even use google maps properly to get places because they can't turn on precise location on their phones.

Sadly, stalkers on a mission to find someone are relentless. They will devote themselves to this 24/7, 365 days of the year; 366 in leap year. They'll always be one step ahead of technology and the law. 

• Sad 4
On 11/22/2022 at 7:57 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

In my state, stalking includes following, monitoring, surveilling, etc. by any electronic means for no legal purpose.  There are some exceptions for private investigators.  But, what if you don’t realize you’re being tracked?  

If you have an iPhone, it notifies you that there is an airtag, but I'm not sure if it's all iPhones, or just newer ones.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, GaT said:

If you have an iPhone, it notifies you that there is an airtag, but I'm not sure if it's all iPhones, or just newer ones.

Eventually and probably after a lot of damage is already done. Someone did tests tracking themselves and found that they were consistently notified an AirTag was following them after they arrived home. 

I think it’s important to note that the setup was created in my house at around 5 PM. That night, I took the AirTag with me and put it on my nightstand. I expected to get a tracking alert the next morning as I wake up.

“AirTag found moving with you” notification

Roughly 12-13 hours after I had set up the AirTag, I woke up thinking my first alert would be on my phone, but it wasn’t. At around 6 AM, I went for a walk, and when I returned home, I was greeted with the following notification on my iPhone.

This notification may or may not have been accompanied by a sound alert. If it did, I didn’t hear it. Props to Apple for figuring out that I was being tracked, but I find it odd this notification showed up only after I got home. And this is, by the way, something I was able to verify when conducting other similar tests. Every single time I was being notified, I was potentially being tracked when arriving home.

I don’t think Jay or Conan or David is particularly funny.  I just shrug that Jay is the one villainized when Conan is the one who attempted the coup to oust Jay from TTS, and it was NBC who created the prime time deal because they panicked when they realized Jay wasn’t interested in lying down and retiring but would and could reach out to other networks.  Unless Conan donated a kidney to Jay, Jay owed no allegiance to him, especially since he is the one who forced Jay out.  Then it backfired and Conan threw a massively public hissyfit that somehow made him more popular.  I think he is gross.  Even then, I wouldn’t wish a fire on Conan.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I don’t think Jay or Conan or David is particularly funny.  I just shrug that Jay is the one villainized when Conan is the one who attempted the coup to oust Jay from TTS, and it was NBC who created the prime time deal because they panicked when they realized Jay wasn’t interested in lying down and retiring but would and could reach out to other networks.  Unless Conan donated a kidney to Jay, Jay owed no allegiance to him, especially since he is the one who forced Jay out.  Then it backfired and Conan threw a massively public hissyfit that somehow made him more popular.  I think he is gross.  Even then, I wouldn’t wish a fire on Conan.

I am definitely more of a fan of Conan's humour than Jay's hacky Bob Dole is old and Bill Clinton is sleazy style of jokes (Homer Goes to College is still my favourite Simpsons episode). But even still I don't really blame Leno for what went down between them. That was entirely the fault of the NBC execs who came up with the idea to give Conan the tonight show during his last Late Night renegotiation and had like 4 or 5 years to come up with a take over plan. And they knew what kind of crazy workaholic,  who probably wasn't going to retire, Jay Leno was. So the fact that it was messed up so badly is completely their fault.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That was entirely the fault of the NBC execs who came up with the idea to give Conan the tonight show during his last Late Night renegotiation and had like 4 or 5 years to come up with a take over plan. And they knew what kind of crazy workaholic,  who probably wasn't going to retire, Jay Leno was. So the fact that it was messed up so badly is completely their fault.

I agree NBC is to blame for how poorly that was handled.  But Jay didn't have to agree with it. He had those same 4-5 years to make peace with it and he did not.  Jay always says he is just a guy who likes to tell jokes as if that absolves him of any shitty thing that happens behind the scenes.  As far as I'm concerned he should have never been given the Tonight Show.  If it wasn't going to be Joan Rivers (and obviously it wasn't after she left for Fox and her own late night talk show) then it should have been Letterman. 

• Applause 4
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I agree NBC is to blame for how poorly that was handled.  But Jay didn't have to agree with it. He had those same 4-5 years to make peace with it and he did not.  Jay always says he is just a guy who likes to tell jokes as if that absolves him of any shitty thing that happens behind the scenes.  As far as I'm concerned he should have never been given the Tonight Show.  If it wasn't going to be Joan Rivers (and obviously it wasn't after she left for Fox and her own late night talk show) then it should have been Letterman. 

I was too young when it happened to have an opinion but have seen these come up many times and have never understood why it should have been Letterman. Letterman was passed up for a reason. Maybe I just can’t understand the reaction to it because I think Letterman is a creep who would be difficult to work for. When the execs say Letterman was rude and made things difficult I tend to think that was enough reason to pass him over. I understand that it was handled in a shady way but don’t see how Letterman was entitled to the role. 

Speaking of Letterman, there was a recent news story that he had Kanye on his Netflix show in 2019 and Letterman didn’t challenge him on the horrible things he was saying and the worst of it was edited out of the final show. 

If we're going to judge ^those events by who is or isn't funny*, then Conan shouldn't have gotten within the Grand Canyon of The Tonight Show.  And Letterman?  Well, he did just fine didn't he? Moved on to sexually harass his staff, unfettered, at another network for a couple of decades. Jmnsho.

*Funny as a host.  He apparently had writing chops.  I guess.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
finish the thought, and clean up the spelling
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Meanwhile, all us Craig Ferguson fans were sitting on the sidelines watching that whole mess and being like, "Hey, if anyone wants to watch a late night show that DOESN'T have all this ridiculous drama going on..." :p. 

But yeah, that whole thing was insane. It just never fails to blow my mind that NBC botched it up not once, but TWICE. They literally made the exact same mistakes in both scenarios. I remember reading the book about the Conan/Leno thing and thinking, "My god, I've got zero experience running a network and could've handled this better!" 

True!  I liked Ferguson too?  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Meanwhile, all us Craig Ferguson fans were sitting on the sidelines watching that whole mess and being like, "Hey, if anyone wants to watch a late night show that DOESN'T have all this ridiculous drama going on..." :p. 

But yeah, that whole thing was insane. It just never fails to blow my mind that NBC botched it up not once, but TWICE. They literally made the exact same mistakes in both scenarios. I remember reading the book about the Conan/Leno thing and thinking, "My god, I've got zero experience running a network and could've handled this better!" 

I watched the movie The Late Shift (1996) about the whole Letterman/Leno fiasco.  Unfortunately, I found the movie so dry and boring!  And I had been waiting so long to see it.  But, John Michael Higgins was fantastic at being Letterman and I thought the casting was great.  I also noted that Leno hardly seemed to be involved in the movie and I felt like the novel/movie was really biased in favour of Leno.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Dani said:

I think it is perfectly understandable if he is freaked out right now but that’s not why he is taking a break. It’s because he wants to spend more time with his family. 

And even if it was, it's not like he owes us any explanation for why he's taking a break, same for any celebrity that is taking a break or retiring. They are people like us, not public property and they don't need our permission for their decisions about their own lives.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Will Smith sets off on the forgiveness tour

I want to feel different about this guy as until the slap he had a great reputation and seemed decent but everytime he discusses the incident it just feels like a woe is me I’m the real victim here spin.

He made a bad decision in the heat of the moment. He's not the first, he's not the last. But he is very relatable. Though frankly, Chris Rock should be the one apologising for being a fucking asshole and making offensive 'jokes'.

• Like 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

He made a bad decision in the heat of the moment. He's not the first, he's not the last. But he is very relatable. Though frankly, Chris Rock should be the one apologising for being a fucking asshole and making offensive 'jokes'.

Chris does not owe Will an apology nor do I find Will getting up on stage of a live awards show to smack a comedian for a bad joke relatable… but it’s a divisive topic so each to their own I guess. I do appreciate Wills apology and as said it definetly looked like a breakdown of sorts. I’d love to see him walk away from that toxic AF marriage for his own mental health.

• Like 3
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

That's where I'm at. I'm honestly most mad at Will because his actions allowed for attention to be deflected from that disgusting "joke." Not even a funny one, using decades old references. I'm kinda of waiting on Chris to start making jokes about it--as someone who's enjoyed many a first half of a Rock set and then turned it off in the second half when he becomes just another misogynist misogynizing under the guise of "humor," I suspect he'll tell on himself enough that the coverage will start to balance out. 

• Love 12
On 11/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, bluegirl147 said:

That's still on NBC to me. They knew the kind of insane workaholic they were dealing with, with Jay Leno. In the War for Late Night book it talked about how he didn't want to take holidays and asked NBC if they could hire back-up writers and a crew so he could produce new episodes all year. So knowing that they should have found a way to keep him working that wasn't the Tonight Show and wasn't the stupid 10pm show or found a way to write a contract so if he wanted to go somewhere else he wasn't allowed to appear on TV for a certain period of time.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 7

I do think Will Smith just lost it in that moment. He was wrong. He's apologized. I don't think the slap should define him, but it will. He'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life because Hollywood will never let him forget it. Meanwhile, Brad Pitt won an Oscar after the plane incident and has another Oscar bait movie coming out. I get Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on national television, but the reaction to it by Hollywood, where there is still support for all manners of vile men, was a bit much. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 14
38 minutes ago, Evie said:

I do think Will Smith just lost it in that moment. He was wrong. He's apologized. I don't think the slap should define him, but it will. He'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life because Hollywood will never let him forget it. Meanwhile, Brad Pitt won an Oscar after the plane incident and has another Oscar bait movie coming out. I get Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on national television, but the reaction to it by Hollywood, where there is still support for all manners of vile men, was a bit much. 

Just last week we had numerous celebrities putting on their capes to defend Chris Brown's right to a second chance (when he hasn't even stopped being a violent piece of shit!) and Helena Bonham Carter calling #MeToo a "trend." The hypocrisy is galling and makes me think they were most traumatized by seeing someone stand up to a bully for once instead of protecting and covering for the bully like the rest of the pack.

• Like 2
  • Love 18
49 minutes ago, Evie said:

It rings false. The only reason that they keep harping on this incident is because there’s irrefutable proof he did it, so they can act as if they are on some moral ground by opposing him. He apologized, and until I see some sort of pattern of behavior, I am 100% willing to move on from it. I wish everyone else would, too. It’s become a bit much, especially considering the scum that still works in Hollywood.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

I've always thought Will Smith was an ass and the slap incident - which was entirely his fault and no one else's - changed nothing for me.

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Will at least has apologized and says he understands if that isn’t enough. More than I can say about many other people who have done worse things.

He apologized so long after the incident that his apology is meaningless.  He basically means "sorry this is affecting my career".

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 14

I stay flummoxed at the amount of breast beating over the Will Smith thing.

I wonder if the H'wood folks who were so traumatized by it would have been as traumatized and horrified and afraid for Chris' life if they had seen him slap Chris at a party or witnessed in, say, a bar?

If the answer is no, then their outrage is meaningless.  If the act is terrible then it is terrible no matter where it happened.  If the abiding reason is because it happened during an Oscars telecast then I find the protestations overwrought.  

I wish they had all this smoke for Adrien Brody when he kissed Halle without her consent.  But then we know they never had any problems with men ignoring consent.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 15

I think part of the Will Smith thing is also an overcorrection. On the night of, they didn't remove him, and everyone seemed to act like it was no big deal. Then after the awards ceremony was criticized for it, they suddenly got much tougher about it. Smith himself was also weird about it before he finally seemed pushed to make an apology. Personally, I think the slap was wrong, but it was badly mishandled at the time. If they'd addressed it properly then, I doubt it would continue to be such a big deal. If Smith hadn't been allowed to get up and make that asinine acceptance speech immediately after or had framed it differently in the initial aftermath, I doubt he'd also be on a constant apology tour.

I don't feel sorry for Smith, though I do think it's valid to question why we're still talking about this versus all the other shit that happens in Hollywood. Personally, I feel sorry for the other people who worked on the movie that's being promoted. This isn't what they signed on for, and the film has no chance of being considered on its own merit. It's still all about The Slap™.  

At the end of the day, if Smith hadn't slapped Rock, people would have talked about how unfunny and dated the GI Jane joke was and how insensitive it was to Jada and moved on long since by now. 

Edited by Zella
  • Applause 3
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

Expand  

I've always thought Will Smith was an ass and the slap incident - which was entirely his fault and no one else's - changed nothing for me.

No one forced Chris Rock to tell a shitty, ableist, misogynoir-ridden joke. Why is he blameless in all of this?? Has he apologized yet? Not sure why society has chosen this hill to die on (lol, just kidding, I know exactly why), but apparently we have chosen to discuss this until 2090.

For the record, I am not planning to watch Emancipation. It has nothing to do with Will and everything to do with me being *done* with slavery movies. 12 Years a Slave was my last one.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Evie said:

Hollywood is full of trash. They defended Roman Polanski not too long ago. We learned even more during the Me Too movement just how many men use and abuse women in the industry. Actors who groped women are still enjoying their careers just fine. Only the likes of Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby even faced real consequences. You can condemn the slap without acting like Will is this deplorable person among saints. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, tessaray said:

We're still talking about it because any bizarre thing that happens live on the Oscars lives forever, imprinted on our psyches. 🙂 If it had happened in a no-name comedy club it would be old news. 

I think it's also partly because it was so unexpected.  If someone who was known to be more volatile had done it, we would also have probably been forgotten by now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Zella said:

think part of the Will Smith thing is also an overcorrection. On the night of, they didn't remove him, and everyone seemed to act like it was no big deal. Then after the awards ceremony was criticized for it, they suddenly got much tougher about it. Smith himself was also weird about it before he finally seemed pushed to make an apology. Personally, I think the slap was wrong, but it was badly mishandled at the time. If they'd addressed it properly then, I doubt it would continue to be such a big deal. If Smith hadn't been allowed to get up and make that asinine acceptance speech immediately after or had framed it differently in the initial aftermath

This is my issue with it. Not only was he not removed but he got a standing ovation as though he was the victim. It was only once the sheep that make up Hollywood realised hey it’s not popular to support will here that was a backlash. Will himself did that weird acceptance speech but then partied the night away until the media and public made it clear that nobody was into the violence. I don’t buy his apology as it wouldn’t be happening had the public not turned on him.

• Like 1
  • Love 14