Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I, for one, was blaming the media and the relentless speculation, not Brad. We don't know what went on in their relationship. Whether she tried to get pregnant, obviously their relationship had problems, and a baby wasn't going to save it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, Evie said:

I, for one, was blaming the media and the relentless speculation, not Brad. We don't know what went on in their relationship. Whether she tried to get pregnant, obviously their relationship had problems, and a baby wasn't going to save it. 

Exactly. I don’t know what happened with Brad and don’t particularly care. None of my business. But the media was indeed relentless and an example of a larger problem.

• Like 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

I can't see laying all the responsibility at his feet because he went on to become a father

To clarify I asked who was blaming him based on the above post. I wasn’t sure if media or fans had blamed him or something as I don’t really follow much on him.

Edited by Avabelle
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Who’s blaming him? 

Nobody, and yet I'm sure the relentless speculation took a toll on Brad. Why presume Jennifer was the only one hurt by the intrusiveness, that him going on to 'have half a dozen kids almost straight away' was not equally Angelina's decision, as if he wanted kids so damn much he insisted on adopting as well as bio children? I'm sympathetic to Jennifer regardless, because what she went through sounds awful, but it's a bit odd to completely discount Angelina's wants in the then-new marriage.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Nobody, and yet I'm sure the relentless speculation took a toll on Brad. Why presume Jennifer was the only one hurt by the intrusiveness, that him going on to 'have half a dozen kids almost straight away' was not equally Angelina's decision, as if he wanted kids so damn much he insisted on adopting as well as bio children? I'm sympathetic to Jennifer regardless, because what she went through sounds awful, but it's a bit odd to completely discount Angelina's wants in the then-new marriage.

I think your reading into my comment a bit. He had six kids with the wife he got with very shortly after they split. Good for him we don’t even know if the split was down to children but I’m just pointing out I’d imagine it was difficult for Jennifer to go through all the speculation etc. If Brad found the speculation about whether it was her fault they split as she wouldn’t bear him a child tough I don’t really care.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Interesting article from Jen Aniston - sounds really tough. I genuinely thought she didn’t want kids so she hid it well. It must have been very difficult considering her marriage had broken down and Brad went into have half a dozen kids almost straight away. There was definetly an assumption it was down to her not wanting kids. I wonder if more women without kids will come forward with similar stories. 

https://www.eonline.com/amp/news/1353886/jennifer-aniston-reflects-on-challenging-journey-trying-to-get-pregnant-via-ivf

Part of me wonders if she's just saying this so people will leave her alone about the whole baby thing. I don't want kids and I've never wanted kids and I've lied about it so people will stop nagging me.  In this society heaven forbid a woman actually be happy about not having children!  🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Part of me wonders if she's just saying this so people will leave her alone about the whole baby thing. I don't want kids and I've never wanted kids and I've lied about it so people will stop nagging me.  In this society heaven forbid a woman actually be happy about not having children!  🙄

I seem to recall reading interviews where she said she never wanted kids and is glad not to have them. I wonder which is the lie to get people off her back.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I seem to recall reading interviews where she said she never wanted kids and is glad not to have them. I wonder which is the lie to get people off her back.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the lie is about needing IVF and not being able to have kids.  Lots of childfree people use that lie to get people to back off, and perhaps think before they start nagging someone to have kids.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Been there, done that and didn't buy the onesie!

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 9

I don't recall Aniston saying she never wanted kids, but I haven't read every interview. I just remember in that interview she did after the divorce from Brad where she said he had "a sensitivity chip missing" she lit into the rumors that she didn't want kids, saying she very much did. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Part of me wonders if she's just saying this so people will leave her alone about the whole baby thing.

If she were going to lie why do it now when no one expects her to be having kids?  I'd have thought she'd have done it back when this was an obsession among some writing about celebrities.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

If she were going to lie why do it now when no one expects her to be having kids?  I'd have thought she'd have done it back when this was an obsession among some writing about celebrities.  

Because if now there's no chance of a "surprise" baby to counteract her statements of not wanting them, she's free to say anything she wants. 

She can write her own story now with nobody to contradict her except Brad & Justin.  And they probably won't say a word. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Whenever a woman says she doesn't want kids and she's happy not having kids a lot of people will think she's a monster, even if she physically cannot have any kids.  At least by saying she tried, people may back off.

As someone who doesn't want kids, I've been called almost every nasty name in the book.  She might be telling the truth about her fertility struggles but I wouldn't blame her for lying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
24 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

As someone who doesn't want kids, I've been called almost every nasty name in the book.  She might be telling the truth about her fertility struggles but I wouldn't blame her for lying.

I feel you on some of society's rather obnoxious and rude reactions to women who choose to be childfree. But it's funny, as a card carrying member of that club, I never felt any desire to lie about it or hide that fact. Granted, that may be because I've long had a "zero f's given" attitude where I have never felt any desire to explain or defend my decision to anyone, period. 

As for Jennifer Aniston, I do think part of the long-standing narrative around her that she didn't want children was a combination of how things ended with her and Brad, his quickly moving on to another woman who he quickly proceeded to have an entire brood of kids with and Jennifer's never having a child.

We've seen plenty of single women in Hollywood have kids on their own. Hell at one point it almost seemed like it became a trend. So I think as she kept not having any, it became easier for people to believe the rumors and gossip that she never wanted children and that's one of the reasons her marriage to Brad ended. 

Regarding how things ended with her and Brad, I will add that some of his comments during that period, I felt also fueled that fire. I always remember Brad's interview with Diane Sawyer, while promoting Oceans 12, where he was practically in tears blubbering on about how much he wanted kids, imagined himself with a baby girl in his arms, etc. 

Now to be fair, that emotion may have been because he and Jen were trying and it wasn't happening. Since I do also remember some vague tabloid rumors of her possibly suffering a miscarriage or two. But you know, tabloids, so take with a grain of salt and all that.

All that said, if it's all true, yes, it does add an extra layer of cruelty regarding that infamous W photoshoot with Brad and Angelina. The concept that I will always remind folks that the magazine editor confirmed was all Brad's idea. And this is the Brad that many today want to be all "Brad + Jen 4Ever" 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Sad 1
  • Love 16

I seriously cannot wrap my head around why anyone would root for Brad and Jennifer to reunite. 

Knowing that she very much wanted children, but couldn't have them, but wanted to keep private what she had every right to keep to herself and her then-husband, is heart-breaking. And while I don't think Brad deliberately fueled the "Jennifer only cares about her career" narrative and maybe he, too, wanted to keep that private hurt and disappointment private, his later actions with Angelina certainly help to add to the narrative of "poor Brad, he had no choice but to leave Jennifer since she was so selfish and wouldn't have his baby and Angie would." 

• Love 16
25 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I seriously cannot wrap my head around why anyone would root for Brad and Jennifer to reunite. 

I will always root for Jennifer to be happy and I do not think Brad would ever make her happy.  

Whether children was the reason their marriage broke up or not it had to have hurt for him to go off with Angelina and have a ready made family.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

I’ve never lied about it. Be proud!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Whether children was the reason their marriage broke up or not it had to have hurt for him to go off with Angelina and have a ready made family. 

To be honest kids aside it sounds like the marriage broke up because they weren’t right for each other and realised that. I think it was the subsequent brangelina crap that made it humiliating for her but I don’t think she regrets the split. It sounds like they weren’t compatible at all.

• Love 11
56 minutes ago, Quof said:

“I can’t have children “

“Oh I’m sorry, why not?”

”Because I hate them”

"3rd Rock" was such a great show :D. Jane Curtin was so good on there. 

I've been fortunate to have nobody pestering me about why I don't have kids yet (I'm in my late 30s), but if anyone asks, I'm just gonna be straight up honest with them, too. If somebody can't handle my explanation for why I don't have kids, that's frankly their problem to deal with, not mine. 

And on a related note....

3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I hate to even bring it up anymore, but... Nick Cannon Expecting Baby #12 

The mother of this one is Abby de la Rosa, mother of the 16-month-old twins Zion and Zillion.

Rebel Wilson GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5

I am childless by choice. I don't hate kids but I just don't relate to them and would rather not be around them. I was forever grateful to my late mother who never once asked me "When am I going to get grandchildren?"

I asked her why she never did that and her response was perfect. "Why? So, I could be referred to as a grandmother?? No thanks".

As for whether Brad and Jen should get back together? I think not as I'm sure their experiences apart and with other partners have changed them into people they no longer are/were when they met.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

In this vein, Rebel Wilson had actually frozen her eggs at some point but when she wanted to try IVF she learned it wouldn't be possible.

“During the filming I received some terrible news that all my harvested eggs up until that point had not survived being thawed,” Wilson, who plays a woman who wants to become a mother in her new film, explained. “So I'd lost a huge amount of weight and been through three surgeries at that point and no viable embryos. It was devastating."

"It was feelings of loss, feelings of hope — and it all played into my performance," Wilson said. "It was a very emotional time."

More women should consider surrogacy IMO. But society says women are only valued for their uteruses so if they don't pop the kid out themselves it doesn't count. Grrr. Kim Kardashian, among others, used a gestational surrogate for her youngest two children because her second pregnancy had so many problems she was told another one could kill her. It's there as an option, although more expensive than IVF.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Quof said:

“I can’t have children “

“Oh I’m sorry, why not?”

”Because I hate them”

I don't know who said the above but I think the legendary Katharine Hepburn(1907-2003) would have appreciated the above. She admitted that she knew she was a totally selfish person completely focused on her career and herself. Hence, she knew she'd likely kill any child she might have born or adopted so she never attempted to do either. She even admitted that she felt sorry for her onetime husband (born Ludlow Odgen  Smith)(m 1928-1934) who adored her but she didn't reciprocate that emotion - yet he'd stay a friend of her family (and herself) even after his own remarriage. Oh, and she'd claim that she made him change his name to 'S. Odgen Ludlow' so she wouldn't be known as 'Kate Smith' (but the namesake singer wouldn't be famous until somewhat late in the union).

If only there had been more Hepburns and less Crawfords in Classic Hollywood. . .

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I feel like most women who aren't married with a couple kiddos by their late 20s get a lot of questions. I know I have. I envy those of you who haven't. Society still gives the message that women are supposed to be nurturing, that we're supposed to want babies. We're not supposed to have them older. Men can have them or not. Men can wait or not. They don't deal with the constant prying. I really hope these attitudes change. 

I dealt with untreated anxiety and depression for much of my young life, and I had little interest in a lot and too anxious to do what I did have interest in. Because I missed out on a lot, I craved just living, having fun and adventure, because I had so little of it. Children were the last thing on my mind. 

Now that I'm older, I actually do want kids, and that can be difficult to admit too. I'm a healthy weight, don't drink, smoke, no health problems, but it would be a "geriatric pregnancy." Sometimes I'll tell people I haven't ruled out kids, because I don't like putting it out there that I don't when I do, but I don't want to seem like I'm dying to be a mom and deal with people judging me for not being more proactive. It's a complicated personal matter. 

It's annoying enough dealing with relatives, coworkers and whatnot asking me when I'm getting married and telling me I should have kids before I get too old. I can't imagine the world constantly judging and questioning this issue like Jennifer Aniston experienced.

Two of my pet peeves are single shaming and childfree shaming. You can't shame as much these days, but those are unfortunately still allowed. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Oprah said if she had had a child she wouldn't have been able to do so much for other children.  

Nobody questions child free men.  Nobody tells them their biological clock is ticking.  

I'm always puzzled when I hear women are selfish if they don't have a child.  How does that make them selfish?  It's not like there is a child just sitting somewhere waiting for that particular mother to give birth to them and is choosing not to.  

Nick Cannon is selfish for continuing to father children simply because he can.  

Exactly, people usually have kids in the first place because they want a family, people to love and raise, someone to look after THEM once they get old. Many want to know what their own biological children would look like, they want a piece of their partner, etc. They don’t generally have kids for selfless reasons. If all these parents were automatically such selfless people and so superior to the rest of us, there wouldn’t be so many children up for adoption. I’m not judging people for going either route, just the silliness of parents being considered selfless and childfree based in whether or not they have kids. Parenting is a lot of work for those that do it right (which many don’t), but even that is something you chose to take on because it ultimately made you happy. 

I was just thinking you have to be Nick Cannon or a “deadbeat” dad to be judged much. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Note, I may be particularly sensitive to this now due to the fact that my kiddo is in the hospital and I have been called either Mom or Mommy by all the nurses since we got here. 

I'm so sorry to hear about that, regards to your poor kiddo. Please take care.

• Hugs 5
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I am a mom of two, but one can hardly blame anybody for not choosing to have kids with the way women’s identities tend to fade into the background once you have kids.

This is true.  I was my parent's kid till I was in my early 20s.  Then I had my son at 24 and then I was his mom.  I got married at 33 and then I was my husband's wife.  My husband died when I was in my early 40s and my son was an adult and out of the house so then I finally became me.  Just me.  Also when you have kids you tell time by how old your kid is.  If I'm remembering something I will say such and such happened when my son was in 1st grade even though the such and such has nothing to do with my son.  

24 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Note, I may be particularly sensitive to this now due to the fact that my kiddo is in the hospital and I have been called either Mom or Mommy by all the nurses since we got here. 

I'm sending healing vibes your way.  Hope your kiddo gets better soon.

36 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

As for Jennifer Aniston... for the life of me, I don't know why a 52-year-old established A-lister feels the need to explain or defend her childfree status at this point in her life, but here we are, I guess.

Maybe she just wants to tell her story.  I would rather hear that than anything Kristin Bell says about her kids.

• Like 1
  • Love 13
42 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

As for Jennifer Aniston... for the life of me, I don't know why a 52-year-old established A-lister feels the need to explain or defend her childfree status at this point in her life, but here we are, I guess.

I think there is an inherent human need to be seen and understood. Plus whenever celebrities share their struggles they are contacted by people telling how much it impacted their lives. I would imagine that encourages celebrities to continue to share their stories knowing the impact goes far beyond themselves. 

1 hour ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Agreed.  

I am a mom of two, but one can hardly blame anybody for not choosing to have kids with the way women’s identities tend to fade into the background once you have kids.   I’m surprised these days that anyone knows my actual name these days with the amount of time I am called “Mom” or “Mommy” by people who are not my children.  Now I have wanted children desperately since I was a kid, but have been annoyed as a woman about this practice since I first birthed my children.  Guess what! My name did not change to Mom when I had a child.  

That just seems lazy and unprofessional on the part of those nurses. I hope your child is ok. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

Whenever I see an article about Emma Thompson’s pain after discovering Kenneth Branagh’s affair with Helena Bonham Carter, I remember her publicly cheering Hugh Grant on when he was arrested with the prostitute.  I find myself wondering if she ever apologized to Elizabeth Hurley.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2

I wanted kids, had two, love them dearly and don't regret my choice, but I discovered rather quickly how difficult it is and now that they are young adults, it may be physically easier, but the emotional difficulty (the worry, the wanting to make things better when they're wronged, etc) remains and always will.  Urging someone who isn't ready for kids or doesn't want them at all is ridiculous.  I don't expect either of my children to have kids of their own and I'm fine with that.  It's not because I don't want to be a grandmother--I honestly don't care either way--but because that's their business. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Fertility struggles are very painful and personal. I can identify with Jen here as someone going through a similar struggle and when you’re in it you don’t want anyone to know because you’re so vulnerable and would feel exposed. When it’s over it’s natural for some to want to speak about it as it’s been such an all consuming part of your life.  She’s in a place where she’s happy with how things have worked out for her despite it not being what some people would see as the traditional happy ending and doesn’t feel vulnerable when talking about it so I think good for her. I think a lot of women in their 40s or 50s who’ve been through similar might relate to her.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Fertility struggles are very painful and personal. I can identify with Jen here as someone going through a similar struggle and when you’re in it you don’t want anyone to know because you’re so vulnerable and would feel exposed. When it’s over it’s natural for some to want to speak about it as it’s been such an all consuming part of your life.  She’s in a place where she’s happy with how things have worked out for her despite it not being what some people would see as the traditional happy ending and doesn’t feel vulnerable when talking about it so I think good for her. I think a lot of women in their 40s or 50s who’ve been through similar might relate to her.

I also identify w/fertility struggles and sort of wish on forums like this I could hide the whole topic.

@Avabelle, I hope you are in a good place.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Oprah said if she had had a child she wouldn't have been able to do so much for other children.   

Dolly Parton said something similar.  She has said that, when she first married, they thought they'd have kids, but, pretty quickly, they both realized that having kids was incompatible with her career ambitions; that she wanted to be a star and having children would've prevented it..  She also said:

I often think, it just wasn’t meant for me to have kids so everybody’s kids can be mine.”

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11

Sylvester Stallone was on The Tonight Show tonight and Jimmy asked him about a photo that was posted of him and Arnold Schwarzenegger carving pumpkins. Stallone replied at first that he is doing a reality show and seem to imply that was the reason for the visit to Arnold’s house. This got me thinking about Stallone and his wife Jennifer’s recent temporary breakup and non-divorce that allegedly happened due to a fight about a tattoo he got of his dog. Could it be that was just a headline making storyline for the show similar to Kim K and family? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I needed to move this to the Small Talk Thread, but didn’t know how. 

Use the "multiquote" button (the plus-sign), even if you only want to quote one post.  Then go to the thread you want to post in (in this case, the link is in the post above yours) and the quote(s) will be available for you to post.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 4