Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

https://tvline.com/2021/01/13/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-guest-host-full-list/   Actually, not a full list (article mentions "more guest hosts to be announced"). While Ken may be here as a "try-out host", the others will be just guest-hosting for charity.

"The amount donated will equal the cumulative winnings of the contestants that compete during the weeks they serve as guest host."

That's pretty cool. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

https://tvline.com/2021/01/13/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-guest-host-full-list/   Actually, not a full list (article mentions "more guest hosts to be announced"). While Ken may be here as a "try-out host", the others will be just guest-hosting for charity.

I was confused by this. It's the same about of money the candidates win? Is it coming from the show or the celebrity. Probably the show but it wasn't clear. Then Ken is in a different category.

1 hour ago, blueray said:

I was confused by this. It's the same about of money the candidates win? Is it coming from the show or the celebrity. Probably the show but it wasn't clear. Then Ken is in a different category.

I assume it's from the show. I would guess it's the five actual winners' amounts, not the ending amounts of all fifteen players in the week, but that's not clear.

I think it's the champion's total plus $3000 ($2000 for second place and $1000 for third). I liked Ken so far, and think his genuine love of the game shows. I remember in the GOAT tournament he mentioned that he studied Alex's vocal patterns to improve his buzzer time, since you can't ring in until the clue is read in full. I wonder if that has influenced how Ken reads the clues.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, Alex was definitely faster in the early seasons. 

It was kind of jarring to hear Alex in the earliest episodes - he sounded like he had consumed too much coffee!! Other than that, he was as droll and self-assured as ever.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

It was kind of jarring to hear Alex in the earliest episodes - he sounded like he had consumed too much coffee!! Other than that, he was as droll and self-assured as ever.

He sounded fast & higher-pitched on Concentrarion, too. I watched it yesterday on Buzzr - he had more humorous interaction with the contestants, too.

I'm not thrilled with the sports guy and I can't recall Whitaker's face, but Mayim Bialik is an interesting choice.  I wonder how Wil Wheaton would do.

• Useful 1

I really think a sense of stability and continuity is important and a string of celebrity one-offs is not the right path. That said, I can deal for charity. That is a cool idea.

As far as the names I hadn’t seen before: Mike Richards did a fine job on GSN’s “Pyramid,” but was nothing special IMO. I have never heard of Bill Whittaker before, but I wish him luck. Mayim Bialik has always seemed like someone I should like, but I cannot get over her association with “Big Bang Theory,” which (sincere apologies to any fans) I consider absolute trash, the epitome of dumbed down, even if they have someone put real formulas on the whiteboards in the background and whatever else folks always tell me proves its credentials as a smart show.

Kind of a big old meh overall on these names. Go ahead though, prove me wrong, all of you! I’m sure I’ll keep watching no matter what.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

. . . Mayim Bialik has always seemed like someone I should like, but I cannot get over her association with “Big Bang Theory,” which (sincere apologies to any fans) I consider absolute trash, the epitome of dumbed down, even if they have someone put real formulas on the whiteboards in the background and whatever else folks always tell me proves its credentials as a smart show.

I was never a fan of Big Bang Theory - I don't like most sitcoms of the last several decades. I just don't find them funny. However, I'm impressed with Mayim Bialik. She was a child actress, got a BS and PHD in neuroscience from UCLA. Her dissertation was an investigation of hypothalamic activity in patients with Prader–Willi syndrome, entitled "Hypothalamic regulation in relation to maladaptive, obsessive-compulsive, affiliative and satiety behaviors in Prader–Willi syndrome." And she was the host of a reboot of Candid Camera back in 2014, so she actually has hosting experience.

My heart of heart wants Levar Burton, but it looks like there are some decent possibilities here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I'm impressed with Mayim Bialik. She was a child actress, got a BS and PHD in neuroscience from UCLA. Her dissertation was an investigation of hypothalamic activity in patients with Prader–Willi syndrome, entitled "Hypothalamic regulation in relation to maladaptive, obsessive-compulsive, affiliative and satiety behaviors in Prader–Willi syndrome." And she was the host of a reboot of Candid Camera back in 2014, so she actually has hosting experience.

You have named many of the reasons I feel like she is someone I should / would choose to admire / enjoy / whatever.  I try not to talk about celebrities in personal terms, because I will never "know Mayim."  So maybe I will try to dive into some of her other work.  Thanks for the tip on "Candid Camera."  I never watched that, so I will dig around for it.  I probably should not read her dissertation, for my own sake, but I trust that it is of high quality and she is a bright thinker. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
Imagine having just talked about how this or that is or is not "smart" and then leaving out, ya know, verbs in sentences. ;)

Mayim Bialik said shitty victim-blaming things when stories of sexual harassment and assault within the entertainment industry finally started getting wider attention, and I loathe the "adorkable misogyny" of The Big Bang Theory (which was not her fault - she merely accepted a role that may well have looked positive on paper - but she's widely associated with that shitshow I can't believe a couple of intellectuals have asked me to swallow), but she in general seems a good egg - and certainly a smart one! - who has a good sense of humor about herself (I saw her on an episode of What Not to Wear when she welcomed help incorporating her "modesty" rules into the real world), so I think she's a good fit as a guest host.

I think the way they're buying time by asking celebrity fans of the show to guest host while they think long and hard - the remainder of this season plus hiatus - about who will take over next season is a good strategy.  But with giving Ken Jennings an extended on-air audition and then filling in with another show insider before finishing off the season with that roster of celebrity appearances, they're risking some audience whiplash.  I think it will work out, even though I have no idea who I want as the next host (but, so help me, Levar Burton better be under consideration).

• Love 1

Bill Whittaker is on 60 Minutes.  I was not familiar with the name but as soon as I saw his photo I recognized him- I only watch 60 Minutes occasionally. But he seems like a very good fit, given what I have seen of him.  

I can get behind Mayim Bialik as well, but since these guest hosts are limited and doing the show for charity I can't see them doing it permanently.  Not to mention Aaron Rodgers' and Mayim Bialik's (she has a new show) schedules just wouldn't fit in with taping Jeopardy full time.

I wonder if the producers are waiting to see if The Chase does well before offering Ken a permanent job- my guess is you can juggle taping of 2 game shows, but there may be contract issues at play.  The fact that he taped 6 weeks of episodes and the other guest hosts are only doing 1 each tells me the producers are favouring him.  Or, they really needed to get some episodes in the can and it was easier to use someone who was very familiar with the game.

• Love 2

My guess is that the plan all along was to give the role to Ken, hence the 6 weeks of taping.  Then the Twitter sewer got started and they hesitated.  Clearly I have no inside knowledge, but I think since Twitter has moved on and Ken doesn't appear to be tanking (in my opinion, and I strongly dislike everything about him, he is doing 'fine',) the other guest hosts are a distraction and it will be Ken's job.  

• Love 2

Interesting roster of guest hosts.  I’m familiar with Whitaker because I always watch 60 minutes. On air, I’ve liked Katie Couric.  I know a lot of celebs have different public and private personas, but doesn’t generally (with a few exceptions) cause me to dislike them on-air.

I’ve never noticed Ken Jennings having a lisp. Then, I almost never notice vocal fry either.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I was never a fan of Big Bang Theory - I don't like most sitcoms of the last several decades. I just don't find them funny. However, I'm impressed with Mayim Bialik. She was a child actress, got a BS and PHD in neuroscience from UCLA. Her dissertation was an investigation of hypothalamic activity in patients with Prader–Willi syndrome, entitled "Hypothalamic regulation in relation to maladaptive, obsessive-compulsive, affiliative and satiety behaviors in Prader–Willi syndrome." And she was the host of a reboot of Candid Camera back in 2014, so she actually has hosting experience.

My heart of heart wants Levar Burton, but it looks like there are some decent possibilities here.

She also has a new sitcom and just started a podcast, too, focused on neuroscience and mental health (called Mayim Bialik's Breakdown). The first episode posted the other day, but I haven't listened yet (just to the short promo that was up before that) and it's an hour and 40 minutes. I don't generally like podcasts that do really long episodes, but it might be interesting and possibly helpful so I'll give it a shot. 

I would love Levar Burton. I've not even watched him that much; not much of a Star Trek person, I've only heard a few clips of his podcast, and I didn't watch Reading Rainbow as a kid...but I've heard him in interviews and stuff and I like him.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

(I saw her on an episode of What Not to Wear when she welcomed help incorporating her "modesty" rules into the real world), so I think she's a good fit as a guest host.

I remember her on What Not To Wear. Her kids were little then and she had the 'new mom just getting through it' look going on.

• Useful 1

I may be one of the few but I am really pumped for Bill Whitaker. I am a media junkie and grew up on CBS News. If Bob Simon were still alive, I would totally love to see him host too but I will totally enjoy watching Bill.

• Love 2

I'm a please, no, on Katie Couric.  When I heard she was on the list I went to Wikipedia to see what she had been doing since her Today show years and saw that she had her own daytime talk show for a short while, but it got terrible ratings due to her "disdain for her core audience."  I thought, "Well, duh," you could hear that disdain for women who didn't have impressive jobs and almost everyone who lived in the fly-over states through out her career.  I also find it impossible to believe that she could have worked that closely with Matt Lauer all those years and not known what he was doing with young women in his locked office.  She was filmed at a roast doing a very "funny" talk about Matt and his sexy ways with the ladies.  Just ugh. 

• Love 10

Today's wine category reminded me that Ken Jennings has been on the NPR news quiz show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" twice.  One time they tried hard to find categories he might be less good at, such as Potent Potables (since he is a Mormon and doesn't drink alcohol). It turned out that a theoretical knowledge of alcoholic beverages was sufficient.

• LOL 3
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Today's wine category reminded me that Ken Jennings has been on the NPR news quiz show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" twice.  One time they tried hard to find categories he might be less good at, such as Potent Potables (since he is a Mormon and doesn't drink alcohol). It turned out that a theoretical knowledge of alcoholic beverages was sufficient.

I haven't been listening to WWDTM long enough to have heard that... Had to go find them.

February 2006 (They even played the infamous "What is a hoe?" clip.)

October 2006 

(And I laughed at the mention of the prize being the recording on "a listener's home answering machine.")

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I read yesterday that the producer, Mike Richards, is going to host for a couple of weeks while the guest hosts get up to speed on how to host the show. 

I hate to say this because I really like her as an actor, but I’m not really looking forward to Mayim Bialik or Katie Couric hosting. I know Mayim is smart (I mean, she’s has a PhD. for goodness sake) but it doesn’t seem like a good fit for her. Couric doesn’t seem to have the necessary seriousness + wit to do a good job. It isn’t that I wouldn’t want a woman to host, but all the names being floated around don’t do it for me, unless they give Aisha Tyler a chance. I guess I’m just disappointed because no one I’d like to see has been mentioned. 

• Love 1

I don't know who she is and I bet if you name something's she's done, I still won't know. I'm not as old as Betty White, but, damn, I'm old & out of touch with modern entertainment.  I saw a part of the new Name That Tune and I didn't recognize ANY of music, nor any of the names of the songs, except "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

But, speaking of Betty White, now that she's 99 (or about to be, momentarily) I'd love to see her host, if only for one episode, just because AT mentioned her. We know she loves game shows and I think that throughout her life she would have been a good host. I certainly can understand her not wanting a permanent gig, but a show or two would be fun.

• Love 1

I mostly know Aisha Tyler from her stand-up and a few acting roles; I've hardly seen any of her hosting, but I really like her and would love to see her as a guest host.

(If she's a good host, maybe she's someone they're talking to about the real gig, though; looking at IMDb, she's a busy bee, but it doesn't seem like she's under contract to anything ongoing.)

The Betty White idea is a hoot; you're right, she was a good host back in the day, and those who pay attention not just to the show but to media about it would know Alex's joke about her taking over.  It looks like she hasn't done any on-camera work (just voice) in a few years, so might not be up to doing five episodes like the other hosts, but now I'm sitting here laughing thinking of what sort of one episode special they could do with her - maybe Betty White as guest host of a game where three celebrities face off in a charity match.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ABay said:

Aisha would be great!

21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't know who she is and I bet if you name something's she's done, I still won't know. I'm not as old as Betty White, but, damn, I'm old & out of touch with modern entertainment. 

Whose Line?  I’m old too but I do enjoy her in that. I think she’s been in a lot of other stuff that’s not on my radar. 

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't know who she is and I bet if you name something's she's done, I still won't know. I'm not as old as Betty White, but, damn, I'm old & out of touch with modern entertainment.

She was Joey’s and then Ross’s girlfriend Charlie on Friends.

• Love 1

I too have not liked most sitcoms of the last 15 years..maybe 20, other than a few.  Odd because back in the day there were so many good ones to choose from.  I think I am the only person who never liked The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and is it Broke Girls?   I heard that MB is starring in a sitcom based upon Miranda from the UK, which I actually liked.   All I could think of is how the Office and Coupling were hilarious...until they remade them in the U.S. 

As a host I am not sure about MB or Katie even just as guests.  I would rather them concentrate on finding a solid permanent host than suffer through a lot of "gimmick" hosting shows.....

• Love 1
On 1/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Sorry. Still don't know who she is. Told you I wouldn't. Bwaahahahaha

She's been on Jeopardy twice and has done some video clues, so maybe you have seen her (if you were watching 8-11 years ago).

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2956

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3346

On 1/16/2021 at 11:37 PM, catrice2 said:

I heard that MB is starring in a sitcom based upon Miranda from the UK, which I actually liked.

I have seen the commercials for Kat's Cat Cafe Call Me Kat and had no idea it was a Miranda remake!

Edited by dcalley
19 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I was thinking about this today..I wonder if Alex had a choice in who would take the hosting job!

He's mentioned some names in the past (aside from Betty White) but acknowledged he'd have no say in the matter. I recall reading that he'd like to see a traditional game show host type rather than someone chosen because they're a celebrity, though.

• Love 3
On 1/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, NYGirl said:

I think Ken did a good job but I have to say I think he read the clues a little too fast.  It sounded like he was in a hurry.  Maybe it's just me.  I am used to the way Alex read them.

I remember Art Fleming...God I'm old.

I remember Art Fleming too.  Guess we are both old!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So apparently Katie Couric is taking some heat for remarks she made while making a guest appearance on Real Time With Bill Maher on January 15th.  The producers are not pleased and she may have jeopardized (no pun intended) any chance she had to become a permanent host.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/why-katie-couric-s-trump-comments-could-affect-her-future-on-jeopardy/ar-BB1d1ZEn?li=BBorjTa

Is America really clamoring to see her hosting Jeopardy?  Let Ken Jennings stay or bring in Buzzy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On January 16, 2021 at 11:37 PM, catrice2 said:

I too have not liked most sitcoms of the last 15 years..maybe 20, other than a few.  Odd because back in the day there were so many good ones to choose from.  I think I am the only person who never liked The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and is it Broke Girls?   I heard that MB is starring in a sitcom based upon Miranda from the UK, which I actually liked.   All I could think of is how the Office and Coupling were hilarious...until they remade them in the U.S. 

As a host I am not sure about MB or Katie even just as guests.  I would rather them concentrate on finding a solid permanent host than suffer through a lot of "gimmick" hosting shows.....

Agree with your assessment of Coupling  and The Office (U.S. versions). Also never liked How I Met Your Mother...but my most hated sitcom of all was and still is Golden Girls...

On 1/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

If they want to continue with gimmicky guests, I don't think they could get any gimmickier than John Ratzenberger.  How ironic to have Cliff Clavin host the show? Bwaahahahaha.

(I'll show myself to the door now...)

"And the categories in this round... People who have never been in my kitchen..."

• LOL 4

More guest hosts announced: Anderson Cooper, Sanjay Gupta, Savannah Guthrie, and Mehmet Oz.

I can't say I'm excited.  Assuming that everyone other than Ken (6 weeks confirmed) and Mike Richards (2 weeks confirmed) does one week, we're in for two months of this carousel of celebrities.  I've said before that I think the show should settle down sooner rather than later, because the ritual of it all is important to so many viewers, and I just don't favor this approach, although the charitable donations are nice.

None of these specific names thrill me either.  I think Oz is a quack, to be taken about as seriously as Dr. Phil, and am disappointed he has been selected for a show that celebrates intellectualism.  All my friends love Cooper, and I know he was being mentioned for the job while Alex was still alive, but I've never found him anything to write home about when I've seen him: his double act with Andy Cohen is a real turnoff.  I recognized Gupta's name but don't watch CNN so can't say I have seen him do anything that would let me form an opinion.  Guthrie was fine at the debate and doing NBC's election night coverage last year, but I can't say I thought there was much of a spark: I'd rather they'd booked Ann Curry, to go back a few years on Today.

Just a big "meh" all around.  Not one of these names has made me think, "wow, that's great!"  I can't tell whether any of these people would be in the running for the full-time job.  If it's mostly weeklong gimmicks, I'd like them to think a little more outside the box.  How about someone like Amanda Gorman, the Youth Poet Laureate, who struck me as totally magnetic when I saw her interviewed?  I know this show is big business TV and doesn't emcee itself so maybe I'm being unrealistic about the kind of media training an experience required to get through even a short run, but I'd like to think we as a society are interested in public intellectuals beyond TV news/talk show hosts (and Mayim Bialik and Aaron Rodgers, I guess).  Sorry to rain on the general parade.  May they dazzle me when I see their episodes, I guess.

• Love 2

I love both Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta, so I'll be excited for their stints. I am, however, totally sold on Ken by this point. He seems to have won over a lot of viewers who didn't think they were going to like him.

• Love 5

Every single episode, it is jarring and upsetting for me when Johnny Gilbert introduces the guest host and doesn't follow the word 'host' with Alex Trebek's name. I have more or less become used to Ken Jennings as a host, but I have not gotten used to the introduction not introducing Alex Trebek. In my head I can always hear the old intro superimposed over the one on TV. I feel like after 6 weeks I might actually become used to Ken Jennings' name being said in the intro, and then they will go and change it again.

I'm also not very excited about a number of the guest hosts, but the worst would have to be Dr Oz. I really don't know what they are trying to accomplish with all of these different random hosts.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I am, however, totally sold on Ken by this point. He seems to have won over a lot of viewers who didn't think they were going to like him.

I’m one of those viewers. I think he’s doing a great job and I wouldn’t mind sticking with him. 

• Love 4

Dr Oz?  Are you kidding me? I'm sure he is a decent cardiothoracic surgeon, but he should just stick to his specialty.  He lost me a few years ago when he was promoting suspect weight loss supplements. 

I don't think any of these people have the time to host permanently.  Ken continues to improve every week and unless he does not want the job I don't see any reason to continue to schedule more guest hosts.  After 36 years with Alex Trebek I can't imagine Jeopardy fans want a revolving door of hosts.  I know I don't.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

More guest hosts announced: Anderson Cooper, Sanjay Gupta, Savannah Guthrie, and Mehmet Oz.

None of these specific names thrill me either.  I think Oz is a quack, to be taken about as seriously as Dr. Phil, and am disappointed he has been selected for a show that celebrates intellectualism.  All my friends love Cooper, and I know he was being mentioned for the job while Alex was still alive, but I've never found him anything to write home about when I've seen him: his double act with Andy Cohen is a real turnoff.  I recognized Gupta's name but don't watch CNN so can't say I have seen him do anything that would let me form an opinion.  Guthrie was fine at the debate and doing NBC's election night coverage last year, but I can't say I thought there was much of a spark: I'd rather they'd booked Ann Curry, to go back a few years on Today.

I like Anderson Cooper; I'm interested to see how he does. I even like him with Andy Cohen; they're fun together (though generally I've seen them in relatively short clips so maybe it's a 'small doses' sort of thing; I can see how it might get on your nerves after a while). I think he has a good mix of serious with a sense of humor that Jeopardy needs. 

Sanjay Gupta does a short daily podcast about the coronavirus (Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction); hadn't heard him much before that except when he pops up on the evening news once in a while. I like him but I don't know about as a game show host.

Don't know much of Savannah Guthrie; I know the name but I couldn't tell you what show she's on off the top of my head. I didn't watch the debate she moderated, either (just saw clips later). 

"Dr." Oz, just no. (Yes, I know, he's a real doctor, but...just no.)

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I love both Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta, so I'll be excited for their stints. I am, however, totally sold on Ken by this point. He seems to have won over a lot of viewers who didn't think they were going to like him.

I am definitely one who likes Ken more than I expected to.

• Love 3

Twitter is not impressed with the addition of Dr. Oz.

(I think my favorite is the person who said they will never watch Jeopardy or any other ABC/Channel 7 show again if they don't keep Ken. Anyone wanna tell them that ABC doesn't own Jeopardy?)

4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I can't say I'm excited.  Assuming that everyone other than Ken (6 weeks confirmed) and Mike Richards (2 weeks confirmed) does one week, we're in for two months of this carousel of celebrities.  I've said before that I think the show should settle down sooner rather than later, because the ritual of it all is important to so many viewers, and I just don't favor this approach, although the charitable donations are nice.

I think they have said that they will not be announcing a new host until after this season is done, so I wouldn't expect things to change for a while.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Anyone wanna tell them that ABC doesn't own Jeopardy?

It's on an ABC affiliate where I was raised.  You could've knocked me over with a feather when we visited family and they had it on a CBS station!  I had just about started to process that when we attended a funeral in another city and it was on mid-afternoon rather than in the evening.  Childhood really can be full of shocking revelations.

52 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I think they have said that they will not be announcing a new host until after this season is done, so I wouldn't expect things to change for a while.

How dare you try to use reason with me?  But seriously, you're right.  They have made pretty clear what we should expect, whether I have wanted to listen or not.  I guess I thought, since reception to Ken has seemed universally positive and far exceeded the expectations of most people I have heard from, they might decide to just roll with it.  They might, I rationalized, just put off the official "we have named a new permanent host" and still keep Ken around other than a visit here or there from this one or that one.  Before Ken came out, I thought we might get three or four people for a month each, but that was never promised.  Maybe I just need to take a tall glass of water before I comment on any further announcements. 😉

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with the rotating celebrity guest hosts to buy them time as they talk with candidates to take over starting next season. 

Forced into this Who will replace Alex? situation earlier than they wanted, they had the familiar face that is Ken Jennings step in, then the executive producer, and then it was about a series of celebrity guest hosts to keep the show going - and getting points for raising funds - to cover the remainder of this unique recasting process.

Ken Jennings has obviously, unlike the unknown other candidates for the ongoing gig who presumably have hosting experience, been given an on-air audition.  I don't know what their intentions are.  I think he's been a fine fill-in, but he doesn't have the voice, specifically, or the overall presence to be a host for years to come; I don't think his connection with the show should override his lack of credentials.  But we'll see how things play out.

• Love 2

Oz is a quack; Gupta is a noted, working neurosurgeon. I don't know Cooper that well and Guthrie strikes me as being a bit vacuous, but with more gravitas than Couric. I will not be watching during Oz's episodes.

I would really love to see Al Franken take a stab at it.  I though it was heinous that he got thrown under the bus for a damn JOKE that the so-called victim was in on.

• Love 3