Type keyword(s) to search

Seen on the Promenade: Cast in Other Roles

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Where have see we seen this gorgeous and talented cast before?

Regé-Jean Page- the first big USA role I recall seeing him in was Chicken George in the 2016 remake of Roots (which was excellent by the way, I knew the makeup artists were going to win awards for the aging makeup)- Chicken George is one of the most emotional complex black male characters in US literature/film, and Regé-Jean BROUGHT IT- the vulnerability, the anger, the flamboyance, the determination, the fear, all of it. He has star power. (in addition to being handsome, but I dont lust after him because he looks like my cousins and thats just weird)

Golda Rosheuvel- I saw her in as Agnes in Lady Macbeth (that film didnt get much buzz but was creepy AF to me).

Seems a large part of this cast has done stage work. Is anyone else familiar with other work from these actors.

• Love 2

Polly Walker has been in a ton of things but I remember her most from Rome.

Jonathan Bailey (Anthony) was in Broadchurch as Olly.  I think he was a reporter.  He was in Chewing Gum for an episode. There was a short adventure series called Hooten and the Lady that aired on the CW.  He played the fiance. 

But my favorite role of his was as Sam in Crashing.  Crashing was Phoebe Waller-Bridge's first series.  He played a seemingly straight guy who becomes close friends with a gay guy sharing a living space with other adults.  He develops feelings that may go beyond friendship.  

• Love 2

A younger Polly Walker was in the movie Enchanted April which was wonderfully romantic and magical and almost fairytale-ish. Love that movie and bought it on DVD when it came out. If you have a chance, see it. And here she is on the promotional trailer.

My favorite prior role of Jonathan Bailey has to be Psi, from the Time Heist episode of Doctor Who. I really liked his character, then Peter Capaldi's Twelve sealed it at the end when he flirted with Psi behind Clara's back...

Jonathan Bailey - Doctor Who (shrunk).gif

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Mad King George is James Fleet. He was Rev Wakefield in "Outlander" and a reverend in "Belgravia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fleet

His credits are as long as his arm. Productions similar to this one were Emma Thompson's and Ang Lee's Sense and Sebsibility, where he played the Dashwood sisters' older half-brother, and Death Comes to Pemberley, in which he plays Mr. Bennet. 

And of course there's his part in Four Weddings and a Funeral, teaching us how not to give a wedding toast. 

• Love 3

They definitely do and both are known for playing scheming matriarchs. 

Adjoa Andoh has also been in a lot of British TV productions including Who as Martha's mother. I remember her in Casualty when I was a kid. 

Ben Miller has been in so many things either as the hapless nice guy or arsy civil servant. He also has a comedy act with Alexander Armstrong. Their airmen sketches used to have me in stitches. 

• Love 2
On 12/31/2020 at 1:15 AM, bijoux said:

His credits are as long as his arm. Productions similar to this one were Emma Thompson's and Ang Lee's Sense and Sebsibility, where he played the Dashwood sisters' older half-brother, and Death Comes to Pemberley, in which he plays Mr. Bennet. 

And of course there's his part in Four Weddings and a Funeral, teaching us how not to give a wedding toast. 

My first memory of James Fleet (aka King George in Bridgerton) is in The Vicar of Dibley. He played the somewhat dim but quite adorkable Hugo Horton, son of the richest man in the village, and eventual husband of the also dim but quite adorkable Alice Tinker.

image.png.11c33f3047a31af07d93ee8092c0841f.png

• Love 7
On 12/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, bijoux said:

I've seen Polly Walker and Ruth Gemmell in some TV roles, Claudia Jessie in the latest Vanity Fair where her character was a complete drip. 

Ruth Gemmell also co-starred with a very young Colin Firth in the long ago version of Fever Pitch. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to yell "fuck-a-doodle-doo" whenever Penelope comes on screen? (I know it's Michelle's line and not Claire's so much, but I never like to miss an opportunity to lob an f-bomb!)

• LOL 4
27 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to yell "fuck-a-doodle-doo" whenever Penelope comes on screen? (I know it's Michelle's line and not Claire's so much, but I never like to miss an opportunity to lob an f-bomb!)

I see Penelope and think, " hey it's the wee lezzie."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Freddie Stroma is Prince Frederich.  He played Cormac McLaggen in Harry Potter, and was the first actor to play Sam Tarly's brother in GOT (which was later recast due to Stroma being committed to another project) and Adam in Unreal season 1 and 2 where he met and married in real life Johanna Braddy, the bachelorette who "wins" in season 1. 

• Love 4
On 12/30/2020 at 8:33 PM, giovannif7 said:

My favorite prior role of Jonathan Bailey has to be Psi, from the Time Heist episode of Doctor Who. I really liked his character, then Peter Capaldi's Twelve sealed it at the end when he flirted with Psi behind Clara's back...

Oh my God that's where I know him from, its been seriously bugging me! I was always hoping to see him pop up again he was a ton of fun in that episode, so its great seeing him again here. 

As familiar as I am with Polly Walker as one of those actresses that pop up a lot on TV, its hard to see her and not see Regency Atia. With less murder...for now anyway. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh my God that's where I know him, its been seriously bugging me! I was always hoping to see him pop up again he was a ton of fun in that episode, so its great seeing him again here. 

As familiar as I am with Polly Walker as one of those actresses that pop up a lot on TV, its hard to see her and not see Regency Atia. With less murder...for now anyway. 

I have not read enough of the books to know what Mrs. F gets up to as a widow, but I will lose it if she utters one of Atia's classic lines, "a large penis is always welcome."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, AnnieBananie said:

Lord Berbrooke is also in Derry Girls as Ciaran, the photo-shop guy.

I don't think I'd ever have recognized him if you hadn't mentioned him. Maybe Daphne would have appreciated a good clavicle compliment had he tried that route. 

• Love 1

Lord Berbrooke's mother was played by the ever-brilliant Caroline Quentin, a well known comedienne on this side of the Pond.

Phoebe Dynevor (Daphne) is the daughter of actress Sally Dynevor, who is a 'lifer' on the soap opera Coronation Street. I last saw Phoebe playing a gangster's moll in a show called Snatch, so the switch from that to the demure Daphne here certainly demonstrates her range!

• Love 1

I'm kind of dreading it because I can just see the monologue now--it's all going to be about how sexy he is (true) and how sexy the series is (I liked it but the sex was the least sexy thing about it, IMO).  It's like the whole 50 shades thing all over again--although I liked this better.  

And it's not just because SNL will do the expected but because every time I've seen an interview with the cast but especially with Rege, that has been the angle they've taken.  

But maybe the show will pleasantly surprise me.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DanaMB said:

He killed it! And the writers showed up. 

He sure did!  He came prepared as well and it showed — the skits were such a step up because Rege wasn’t just reading from cue cards (always so obvious).  Great job.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

He sure did!  He came prepared as well and it showed — the skits were such a step up because Rege wasn’t just reading from cue cards (always so obvious).  Great job.

He probably was reading from cue cards.  It's part of the gig.  But he did do a great job of not making it look obvious. 

• Love 5

Rege-Jean Page was also in the short-lived tv show "For the People."  Prior to Bridgerton, that was the only thing I knew him from.  I actually liked the show even though it had some annoying parts.  I feel like it got better it's second season, and Rege's character got a lot better in my opinion, but then it was gone.  

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

And so is Theo! He’s the guy that stands Erin up for the prom is season two.

John Paul. Which is so perfectly Irish you can't help laughing as soon as you hear it.

• Love 2