Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E11: Finale

• Start Topic

I wonder why they invited all the former contestants back but didn’t even let them do a group dance?

I liked Nev’s freestyle and Kaitlyn’s too. Justina’s was kind of meh. I don’t think Nelly danced at all in his freestyle. I did like his song, though.

I wasn’t a fan of Kaitlyn but she could dance, and good for Artem!

• Love 4

Ugh, what a waste of a season! I pretty much knew Kaitlin was going to win thanks to how insane Bachelor Nation is. Throw in Artem with the Bella fanbase (which is one of the reason I thought it was so weird they fired him last season since I would have thought they would want to milk that connection especially since they met on the show) and it was pretty much in the bag. I think that was why all the drama with Carrie-Ann and the soft scores in the middle of the season because they didn't want it to seem obvious, same with the one from last year. Kaitlin isn't the worst dancer to have worn not by a country mile, but I was so blah about her dances all season. I won't remember a single one. I thought her freestyle tonight was kind of blah. 

I liked Artem well enough, but I don't care enough about him to be happy that Kaitlin won.

It was obvious after the results from last week but Justina should not have come in fourth. Her and Nev's freestyles were my favorites for the night. 

Ugh, I don't know if Tyra is aware enough at how butt ugly her opening dresses are and that's why she changes out of them so fast or not. God, that blue dress was hideous! And, damn, she has some narcissist tendencies. I don't know for a fact if she asked - demanded - they feature her so prominently in the montage of events from the season but definitely know Tom wouldn't have been acting like THE star of the show.

And, if I never have to hear that woman and her ridiculously over-the-top way she talks before delivering the results. I wanted to leap through the screen tonight and beat her over the head with the cue cards and read them my damn self.

Please, no more freaking Bachelorette/Bachelor contestants otherwise the show is going to get even more boring with predictable winners and who's going to tune in except for Bachelor fans and they might not even tune in, just vote.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 13

I wish they would stop with the Bachelor contestants as well. No one freaking cares about them besides the people who watch that show. And they are about as interesting as watching paint dry.

At least Hanna and Kaitlyn could dance, though.

• Love 6

Tyra's first dress was an assault on the eyes. How does such a beautiful woman manage to look SO TERRIBLE? Not only did it make her body shapeless, it made her look like she'd gained 50 lb in her arms and shoulders. It was startling when she changed into the second dress and was back to normal (as normal as Tyra gets, anyhow). 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was just saying that elsewhere! Thank goodness they were able to make it through the season without anyone getting sick. 

Just read online that Nev had Covid in March and still has problems with numbness in his toes.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Please, no more freaking Bachelorette/Bachelor contestants otherwise the show is going to get even more boring with predictable winners and who's going to tune in except for Bachelor fans and they might not even tune in, just vote.

We really got the short straw this season. Tyra and another Bachelorette winner. 

Can Tyra and another Bachelorette/Bachelor contestant please be eliminated for next season?

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 9

This was an Artem win, for sure, and I'm giddy about it. Kaitlyn is almost incidental. But congrats to her, she worked hard and really wanted it. I think the Carrie-Ann drama was actually staged, looking back. It got Artem on a lot of talk shows and bought the couple a lot of valuable press time. 

As far as the whole season goes, Nev was probably the best technical dancer. But that freestyle was a huge miss for me. Jenna miscalculated the freestyle with Adam Rippon as well - she won that shortened season based on Adam's popularity. You can't touch Gene Kelly. Neither of them can even touch Derek, who schooled them all in that style just minutes prior to the performance. The dance never took off and the bit in the dark rain lacked impact. Gleb of all people managed to use that motif better with Jana Kramer a few years ago. 

Justina was my favorite dancer left (since AJ was eliminated), but I thought that freestyle fell flat as well, once she left the platform. The choreography just wasn't big enough. There wasn't enough movement or coverage of the ballroom floor. I kept waiting for it to build to a big moment and match the fierceness of the beginning, and it just never got there. That's on Sasha. He needs to choreograph a winning freestyle next time he gets to a finale. Now that Artem has won, Sasha will be getting all my votes. He's my favorite pro without a Mirrorball.

Nelly's freestyle was great but he's done minimal dancing the whole season. Daniella deserves a raise for the magic she pulled off. After he performed I was certain he was going to win. He seems like a great guy, and I enjoyed him up until the point when we lost AJ. I was bitter. 😛 

Two Bachelorettes in a row! Keep coming for them and riling up the fanbase, Carrie Ann....

They fired Artem and he comes back and wins the season. GO ARTEM! NOW LET'S GET TOM BACK!

I was thrilled to have the show back, even with Tyra. This year has been rough and upsetting, and this show gave me some semblance of familiarity and order back in my life.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

Just read online that Nev had Covid in March and still has problems with numbness in his toes.  

Both he and his co-host Kamie had Covid in March. She's talked about it a few times in her stories. She still hasn't regained her sense of smell.

My buzzer went off when Carrie Ann said Kaitlyn's AT was one of her 3 favorite dances ever. It was a good dance, but there have been so many truly magical dances. I myself will name soms.

Corbin Bleu's Jazz trio with Karina & Witney

Carlos Penavega's Charleston trio with Karina & Witney

Juan Pablo DiPace's Disney Night dance with Cheryl to Gaston from Beauty & the Beast

Almost all of Gilles Marini's dances

I could go on.

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I could go on.

My favorite is Nastia Liukin's subway-car Charleston with Sasha and Derek (Sasha filling in for the main part of the dance because Derek was injured), with Andy Grammer singing live.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
22 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

My buzzer went off when Carrie Ann said Kaitlyn's AT was one of her 3 favorite dances ever. It was a good dance, but there have been so many truly magical dances

Hell I can name many better ATs! Meryl and Maks come immediately to mind.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, spunky said:

Both he and his co-host Kamie had Covid in March. She's talked about it a few times in her stories. She still hasn't regained her sense of smell.

Yes. I posted the article in the Media thread.

• Love 2

The only person that could have pulled off that first Blue/Red dress that Tyra wore is RuPaul.  That would have looked FIERCE!

I wanted Justina to win.  Now Kaitlyn will be even more insufferable. 

I love Derek and thought his dance was SO elegantly old-school, yet modern.  I think he's truly the closest we've had to a Gene Kelly/Fred Astaire dancer since their heyday.  

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My favorite is Nastia Liukin's subway-car Charleston with Sasha and Derek (Sasha filling in for the main part of the dance because Derek was injured), with Andy Grammer singing live.

That was beyond amazing!

• Love 5

Calling out "Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" contestants is like calling out "Ice Skaters" or "Gymnasts", "Pro Athletes" or former "Boy Band" members.  All groups have their fans, and I would even say the gymnasts, skaters, etc. have an advantage in being trained since childhood how to move their bodies gracefully to music.   11 winners so far have been professional athletes. 

There have been 9 folks from Bachelor Nation compete in 29 seasons.  Only 3 have won, Melissa Rycroft, Hannah Brown & now Kaitlyn.  Yes, they all danced, but not professionally.  I'm no Kaitlyn fan, not much of a Hannah fan, though I do like Melissa. 

ABC pulls from any show they have to cast this thing, along with basically throwing an invitation out to anybody with a social media following that will say yes.  I don't see The Bachelor shows getting special attention.  Hell, Kaitlyn was on 5 YEARS ago.   YMMV.  

I think there's little cachet attached to being on this show anymore, and I'm actually glad Tom Bergeron can move on to something more worthy of his talents. 

• Love 2

I wonder if Tom is being pursue for Jeopardy?  Trebek was firm that he wanted the show to continue.  Would Tom be good at it?  I think he's maybe too humorous.

Derek dancing solo and clearly evoking both Kelly and Astaire threw me right back into my Derek hating days.  I actually didn't enjoy the routine that much and felt that Derek was defo dancing with his favourite partner. He was lucky to get World of Dance as it changed his status forever and taught him a lot about reality show dance shows that he wouldn't have got from watching the 3 nincompoops

I just say again, Battle of the Blades (figure skaters and hockey players) did the lack of live audience SO MUCH BETTER than DWTS.  The screens along the audience walls with viewing groups cheering for their favourite and getting callouts from Ron Mclean was extremely imaginative and super successful.  I believe they still did canned audience reaction but it doesn't seem like they're doing it because you can see the people on the screens cheering and it must have made the contestants happy to know their support group was "there".

I believe that the most I watched of an episode of DWTS this season was the finale, because I basically watched about 2 dances and Derek's as opposed to just two dances.  It's such a "little" show with Tyra's amateurish ass hanging out for everyone to see.  This may be it for me - I didn't care in the slightest who won or didn't, and I've liked ARtem since his sytycd days.  

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I wonder if Tom is being pursue for Jeopardy?  Trebek was firm that he wanted the show to continue.  Would Tom be good at it?  I think he's maybe too humorous

Ken Jennings is basically a lock for the job. 

Kaitlyn was my third choice for the win (behind Nev and Justina). She is very meh to me. I also watched her season and literally did not recognize her on this show until after her first week dance (and in subsequent weeks I didn't recognize her frequently). Whatever she did to her face is terrible.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I don't think it is DWTS. It's ABC.

The Bachelor is to ABC what 90 Day Fiance is to TLC. While TLC relies heavier on the 90DF franchise than ABC does on the Bachelor, I can't see stunt casting of Bachelor/ette contestants ending any time soon.

Then I guess anyone who wants to win should take a spot on DWTS then. Since ABC is obsessed with that horrid show and theirs probably fans of it who probably get away with and have nothing better to do than vote ridiculous amounts of times for someone from that show. 

• Love 3

Did anyone else raise their eyebrows over Jenna’s comment that dwts got boring until Nev came along? Correct me if I’m wrong but she has only been a pro for a handful of seasons and the only real dud she got was the grocer Joe. I wonder what she was talking about?

• Love 12

I don't know why, but Sasha looked SO MUCH like Louis van Amstel when he first came out for the cha cha. Even in the thumbnail up above, he reminds me of Louis.

I totally did not miss Len at the judge's table this year. I'd take Derek as a permanent new judge. Since DWTS and WOD run at different times of year, I don't see why the networks wouldn't allow it.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I totally forgot about that incredible dance, thanks for the reminder! And that made me think of this dance, which I still think is so incredible (though obviously not Derek dancing with a "star.") Really anytime he's danced with Julianne has always been a highlight for me.

• Love 5

CAI always goes overdramatic in the finale, I've lost count of the amount she's said this is "the best dance ever done on DWTS". Best thing is to do what most people do 90% of the time CAI speaks....ignore her! 🤣

Watched the dances back and I know I never liked him, but I still thought he was most likely to win going into the finale. But I also thought Nev's freestyle was a bit of a dud. I was begrudgingly expecting the dance of the season when I find out he was doing Singin in the rain and it didn't really live up to my (admittedly high) expectations. Nelly I also thought busted on his freestyle, which was a shame as Daniella had done so well all season up to that point. He just didn't really move that much, I was expected some big extravagant cool hip hop number. I can't help but think that those two freestyles busting ended up opening the door ajar for Kaitlyn to sneak in. The two girls I thought had much better freestyles, but Justina as we knew from last week never had the votes so unfortunately it did little good for her chances.

Speaking of Daniella, am I the only one who thinks that she feels like another Karina Smirnoff? Maybe it's just the accent, but I feel like there's a comparison to be had between the two. I'd be happy to see her get someone very good next season to see what she can do with a ringer.

Agree that nobody from the Bachelor franchise should be cast next season, but I'm not holding my breath. Ultimately the show doesn't care about the long term fans, they only care about ratings and the promotion of other ABC shows. Worst of all the next Bachelor apparently has a dance background (I don't know how much or the details), so the alarm bells are ringing. Personally, I'd be happy with another All Star Season with contestants who never won the mirrorball.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I'll jump on that train (pun intended).

I'd also add anything from Meryl and Maks' partnership, as well as Alfonso and Whitney's "It's Not Unusual" and their freestyle. Rumer and Val's freestyle was also better and I believe it was to the same darn song.

Anyway, one more thing to add: Derek is a great judge and a great dancer. Now that he's no longer getting preferential treatment from the judges as Golden Boy pro, I can really enjoy him. Tyra needs to go, but he should stay. In fact, I'd like to get rid of Carrie-Ann and have Derek, Len, and Bruno at the table. I know TPTB will never go for that as it would involve removing a woman and giving her job to a man, but I think that would be the best judging panel for next season.

• Love 3

Soooo happy for Artem. But not into Kaitlyn, so I'm half-excited. LOL. Two Bachelorettes in row which is just "meh".

Wanted Justina to win. She wasn't technically perfect, but she had such joy while performing that I loved watching her.

So cute to see Johnny doing a little shoulder shimmy dance while Nelly performed. Nelly is a great performer and his songs will always get people out of their chairs.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Jenna admitting that she was tired of dancing was a shocker. I’ve wondered if she’s been jealous of Lindsay and Whitney having babies.

Short answer: yes, definitely. 

She's been dropping hints to Val about having kids ever since they got married and she could no longer drop hints about getting married. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Another awesome AT was the one Frankie Muniz did to Pirates of the Caribbean.

There weren’t many dances that stood out this season except Nev’s Swan Lake dance. I really don’t remember any of Kaitlyn’s dances at all. 

• Love 4

I wonder if this is another time where someone won on the freestyle. I hate to say it, but Kaitlyn had the best freestyle. You could tell she's been dreaming of doing the Satine number. She executed beautifully and connected to the dance and character in a way I haven't previously seen from her.

Justina's was excellent as well, but if she was in fourth, she must have been too behind on votes to have a chance. 

Nev's should have been sensational, but it just wasn't. All the pieces were there, but they didn't get put together quite right. Same thing with Nelly's. 

Of course, the real dance of the night was Derek's. I didn't even know he tapped. He is sensational. I don't know how he keeps getting better given that he's always been amazing.

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I had forgotten Melissa Rycroft. I was just glad Tony won. He had some horrible partners.

I don't want any more Bachelor people unless it's for Sasha. He needs a win.

At least Melissa wasn’t as fake as Kaitlyn and Hannah. Or as annoying as any of the men they had on. She also had chemistry with Tony. I wouldn’t mind a Bachelor contestant any more than anyone else if they weren’t so boring.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, McManda said:

Short answer: yes, definitely. 

She's been dropping hints to Val about having kids ever since they got married and she could no longer drop hints about getting married. 

Yep, I'm certain Jenna won't be back next season as she'll be the next female pro on the pregnancy train. Take out one of Cheryl or Peta as well and that'll be the two female pro spots reserved for Witney and Lindsay's return. Daniella deserves to stay I think, I'd give her, Brandon and Pasha the best dancers next season.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I wonder why they invited all the former contestants back but didn’t even let them do a group dance?

COVID?  Rehearsals would be too much of a risk everybody breathing hard when they have been lucky not to have an outbreak for the whole season.

11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Tyra's first dress was an assault on the eyes. How does such a beautiful woman manage to look SO TERRIBLE? Not only did it make her body shapeless, it made her look like she'd gained 50 lb in her arms and shoulders. It was startling when she changed into the second dress and was back to normal (as normal as Tyra gets, anyhow). 

She looked as big as Lizzo but not as fabulous as Lizzo. I think Lizzo did wear a dress just like that at an award show.  I'll look around and see if I can find an image like that.

Edited by Kira53
39 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Take out one of Cheryl or Peta as well and that'll be the two female pro spots reserved for Witney and Lindsay's return. Daniella deserves to stay I think, I'd give her, Brandon and Pasha the best dancers next season.

One of Jenna's hints is that she thinks it would be fun to be pregnant at the same time as Peta so I imagine another Peta/Maks baby has been at least mentioned. And Cheryl's mentioned retiring but she's been in and out the last few seasons so who knows. I think she's also mentioned babies in paining but don't quote me on that. I don't follow the gossip as closely as I used to.

But I definitely think Lindsay and Witney are good to return if and when they want. TPTB will expand the cast to accommodate them if they have to, imo.

Derek's solo dance saved this episode for me. 

Well, that and my howls of startled laughter at T. Banks' first outfit.

Back to Derek. If you're going to lift hat-rack choreography, you lift it from the best, and he had Astaire's smooth Royal Wedding moves down absolutely pat.  The rapid twirl-thump cane moves at the end came from "Puttin' on the Ritz" in Blue Skies, I'm fairly sure. But then I'm also sure the entire number was full of tips of the hat to various classic musical movies. Really good stuff.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

A tip of my hat to my favorite dance in my favorite classic movie musical: 
Fred Astaire in Holiday Inn - Let's say it with fire crackers!  

Just the other night I watched a theatrical production of "Holiday Inn" on PBS, and I thought the guy who played the dancer role, though no Fred Astaire, did a pretty decent job of "fire crackers". And I thought he looked vaguely familiar too.

Turns out it was Corbin Bleu, and he looked familiar because I saw him on DWTS!

Found it: 

Edited by surreysmum
to add link
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

This was one of my all-time favorites, and one of the few times I thought having troupe members in the background was absolutely appropriate for the (non-freestyle) routine.

I was reminded again how much I enjoy watching Derek dance, and I loved his nod to Fred Astaire’s hat rack dance from Royal Wedding. I also hope he returns as a judge next season- he gave very specific, constructive critiques.

Not terribly surprised Kaitlyn won, but she was my least favorite of the four finalists. I did like her freestyle.

Nev was robbed!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, leighdear said:

There have been 9 folks from Bachelor Nation compete in 29 seasons.  Only 3 have won, Melissa Rycroft, Hannah Brown & now Kaitlyn.  Yes, they all danced, but not professionally. 

Melissa was a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. She was paid to dance on the team which technically makes her a professional dancer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Justina was my favorite dancer left (since AJ was eliminated), but I thought that freestyle fell flat as well, once she left the platform. The choreography just wasn't big enough.

I didnt enjoy it all at. And since she danced last, I was sure it was going to be great. It wasnt.

• Love 2

I thought Justina's freestyle had lots of dance content but Sasha's mistake was not making it into a big production number. I'm not saying that I need the finale freestyles to be huge spectacles (I'm fine with them just being lots of dance), but that's what the judges and the audience want to see.

Justina's freestyle looked like the kind of dance you'd see during the rest of the season. Unfortunately, that's not what people want to see for the finale. Justina's routine had no big sets, no flashy costumes, no glitter bombs, no confetti cannons.

• Love 7

I honestly would have preferred a Nelly win after all the comments here predicting it. I would have at least understood it from a feel-good TV show perspective. Kaitlin is so boring. Even if I watched her show I can't imagine having enthusiasm for her. But good for Artem. 

• Love 1

I only just caught the dances online. Overall, I'm ok with a Kaitlyn win. Not the most exciting win (not like if Justina won) but it really is still a fine win. She may not be exciting but she can dance and her freestyle WAS the best of the four. You could feel the joy she was having. And Artem getting his first win on his first time at the finale was amazing. He got royally screwed over last season so this made up for that.

Nev's freestyle was executed fine but the choreography was boring. Jenna could have given Nev so much more but she didn't. Similar to Justina's freestyle, which was executed well but Sasha could have given her more. 

Nelly's freestyle was ok but there was also something missing. Or maybe the music didn't work for me.

Derek's solo was spectacular, which is no surprise.

Overall, I do think the season went alright! It was very much needed as a good distraction and, besides a few duds here and there, I didn't outright hate anybody.

• Love 3

Tyra and her first outfit - It didn't look good in yellow and not in blue either.  Her other two outfits weren't as bad.  Her dramatic voice needs to go though. 

I wanted Justina to win from the first week.  However, I knew that wasn't going to happen since she was in the bottom two last week.  Kaitlyn would have been my second choice but that was for Artem.  I agree with those that it was perfect since I don't know why he wasn't asked back last year.  I thought ABC would have loved that considering he was in the gossip tabloids because of Bella.  Kaitlyn's freestyle was also my favorite out of the four.  It had a lot of elements from different styles like quickstep, Charleston, Broadway, etc.

Justina's was my second favorite.  I loved the beginning.  She always has so much joy and she's just fire with Latin dancing.  This freestyle also had a lot of intricate arm maneuvers and transfers.

Nev's was o.k.  The freestyle that I liked which used umbrellas and water was Witney's and Milo's.  Plus the style was similar to Derek's dance and Nev doesn't compare to Derek.  Derek's dance was the best of the night.

Nelly's suited him.  Some of the lift landings were a miss but the lift using no hands/arms was fantastic.

Overall, I think the freestyles would have looked better with the troupe to give more energy.  Even those that had the troupe were in the back and they didn't really seem like part of the dance.  With Covid-19, I understand that it wasn't possible to have them close by.

I hope Derek stays as a permanent judge.  He gave very helpful constructive critiques.  I also don't mind the judges being further apart.  I think it made Bruno a little more tamed since he couldn't touch the other judges.  His critiques were pretty good too.  CAI is mostly the inconsistent lift police and talks about chemistry or performance value.  I don't mind if she goes.  I'm wondering if she meant that Kaitlyn's AT was one of the best three of the season.  I can see that but of all time?  Nope!!  I usually agree with Len but he's too cranky.

1 minute ago, realdancemom said:

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 6

Derek is currently the best dancer in the world. I think he is better than Astaire or Kelly. 

He makes me happy.

Even my husband, he loves the Paso Doble with Chelsie HIghtower with Mark Ballas playing Spanish guitar. It is riveting.

• Love 2