Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: My Happy Ending

Bort
  • Start Topic

The Grey Sloan doctors continue to face their new COVID-19 reality and deal with a familiar and stubborn patient. Koracick is put in charge of the interns who recently joined the hospital ranks and Link operates on a sex therapist. Elsewhere, Maggie finds comfort in Winston's virtual presence.

Airdate: 19 November 2020

Teddy initiated the coffee invitation to Tom and she was in the room when Owen told him he had Covid and to quarantine. Who's taking the bet that she will FaceTime him and they will reconnect in that way in the next two weeks?

7 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

OK, let's start the pot.

$20 says our mysterious guest star in two weeks is Cristina.

I assumed because Derek was first that this person from Meredith's past had to be dead, to be in her beach dreams. Lexie?

But if we are taking bets on things who is the next person to get Covid, and will it be someone in Meredith's little sphere or someone that interacted with Tom today (new interns, Richard, Teddy, Owen, Jackson)?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I assumed because Derek was first that this person from Meredith's past had to be dead, to be in her beach dreams. Lexie?

O hope lexie... Could be George.. His death was still the biggest tv surprise death  and hardest gut punch of my life granted I was only like 14 or so.. But still

• Love 10

I don't know how much more of this I can watch. I'm a retired nurse. Although the storylines are interesting, this is way too depressing to me. They are dealing with reality, so props. I know the medical community is overwhelmed by this pandemic. I guess that's the problem: it's all too real. I don't think I can deal.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

OK, let's start the pot.

My first thought was her mom.  George is also a good guess.

I don't think it's Cristina because I think it has to be someone dead.

24 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

But if we are taking bets on things who is the next person to get Covid, and will it be someone in Meredith's little sphere or someone that interacted with Tom today (new interns, Richard, Teddy, Owen, Jackson)?

But also, where did Tom get it?  Sounds like they might have a real problem on their hands.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

My first thought was her mom.  George is also a good guess.

We've seen Ellis in flashbacks and image spots so many times that having her show up isn't really a thing.

George on the other hand…

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 6

Meredith's "Give the ventilator to someone else" really bothered me.* Setting aside that she's an award-winning surgeon with most of her career still to go, she's the single parent of three young children. How is it going to affect her kids if she dies? And who is going to look after them and help them get over this? Amelia who just had a baby of her own? Single Maggie? Way to not think about anyone else, Mer.

It's false humility and it bugs me.

*that was in the episode and not the promo I think.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

OK, let's start the pot.

If it was a few days ago I would have thrown in a $100 for Cristina, because the wiki page for season 17 had Sandra Oh and Kate Walsh listed as guest stars,but a few days after the information "leaked" both names were removed from the guest list. 😞

• Love 1

I'm confused. I thought Meredith collapsed at the end of the last episode because she'd over-exerted herself - she had previously mentioned that she was getting a "second wind" after being up for 20+ hours. But now she has COVID? Do COVID patients just collapse? I thought the symptoms normally start with fever, shortness of breath, etc., not with a spontaneous collapse. And last episode it was shown that all the hospital staff get their temperature taken each morning, so hers must have been normal or else she wouldn't have been allowed inside the building.

I've heard of ectopic pregnancies but never of a baby growing on a liver and surviving a delivery at 26 weeks. It sounds extremely far-fetched, but I want it to be true because everything else is so depressing.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

I have a new theory based on the Maggie/Teddy stairwell scene, where Maggie asked Teddy if she was for sure that she had this (Meredith's case), because Maggie couldn't be the doctor, she had to be the sister. Basically she told Teddy to leave her personal drama at the door and be 100% focused on Mer.

Tom came down with Covid and has to quarantine. Her relationship with Owen is shaky these days, Owen still seems to be avoiding her when he can. DeLuca is on the case team but he is a newly-minted attending. Something could happen to Meredith symptom-wise affecting her case that Teddy misses or diagnoses incorrectly because she is too preoccupied with Tom/Owen/whatever. Meredith dies. It is full circle because it relates to the way Derek died at the Dillard hospital - the high ranking doctors missed the bleed, wouldn't get the head CT and Derek died. (Bonus points if newly-minted attending DeLuca sees whatever the problem is and is overruled, shades of Perfect Penny.)

• Useful 1

I think that someone will die of Covid.    The show is named after her, so I don’t think it is Mer.  She will come through this ready to move on and throw Hersey into a new relationship.   

I am afraid they will kill off Tom.  

As for the returnee, I think they have to be dead...my money is on Ellis.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As soon as they said there were new interns, I thought ugh, more new people? I’ve barely learned the names of the last crop of interns. Luckily most of them have already quit so we’re down to Mama Ortiz, Younger Ortiz, and one of the guys (Chee?).

I was waiting for Richard to say: "most likely by the end of your first year, half of you will be killed or dead for some stupid/contrived reasons." "Some of you will have some hidden disease or family drama or show that you got your license for medicine through a mail in rebate." "So, let's get this season shit show started ok! I mean at least three of you will be around by the summer of 2021."

• LOL 16

Me, after the "someone from her past" teaser:  Oooh, are we going to see Alex?  Maybe Izzy?  No!  Christina!  ::gasp::  (as I finally caught on that it's probably someone dead) GEORRRRRRGE!!  Oh, I hope it's George ❤️

I had trouble watching that hand surgery.  I had a large melanoma removed from my wrist a couple years back, and because of the size they had to go down to tendon and take tissue in a pretty wide margin.  The site was closed with a skin graft, and the scar goes about halfway around the circumference of my wrist.  That guy's surgery went a lot deeper, but something obviously triggered in me, because at one point I looked down and realized I was clutching my hand to my chest, LOL!

• Love 1

I so want Derek to go away.  As for who shows up next in the dream sequence, if it's someone dead I'm hoping George.  If it's someone alive, Alex, but know that's unlikely.  Then again, Grey's Anatomy has become pretty unlikely in so many respects.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Meredith's "Give the ventilator to someone else" really bothered me.* Setting aside that she's an award-winning surgeon with most of her career still to go, she's the single parent of three young children. How is it going to affect her kids if she dies? And who is going to look after them and help them get over this? Amelia who just had a baby of her own? Single Maggie? Way to not think about anyone else, Mer.

Yes! I was yelling at the tv- "You have 3 young children who've already lost their father!! Get on the damn vent!"

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, AzraeltheCat said:

Yes! I was yelling at the tv- "You have 3 young children who've already lost their father!! Get on the damn vent!"

The woman who committed fraud and faced jail time as a single parent.  The woman who screwed up a clinical trial knowing she waiting on an adoption confirmation.  Meredith only considers Meredith and sometimes Christina and slightly less than sometimes Alex.  

If any one had told me Amelia and Linc would be THE couple on the show, I would not have believed them.  I for one am proud of Owen, he's being something we never see on this show PROFESSIONAL.  He's not letting his feelings dictate how he does his job.  

Is anyone dreading the inevitable Deloser and Lucky Charms love triangle coming maybe a square if Derrick stays arounds.

What have they done to Koracick, this guy was always a good doctor and teacher?  I am hoping that Koracick and Owen become best friends and tell Teddy to eff off.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, dmc said:

Is anyone dreading the inevitable Deloser and Lucky Charms love triangle coming maybe a square if Derrick stays arounds.

What have they done to Koracick, this guy was always a good doctor and teacher?  I am hoping that Koracick and Owen become best friends and tell Teddy to eff off.  

I'm not sure I understand... Derek is dead.  He can't stay around.  Did this joke go over my head?  Sorry.

Koracick has always been, above anything else, a conceited a-hole.  I thought he was completely on-brand last night, and told Richard exactly what he is:  a great neurosurgeon who can only teach neurosurgery.  He isn't a teacher otherwise.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm not sure I understand... Derek is dead.  He can't stay around.  Did this joke go over my head?  Sorry.

Koracick has always been, above anything else, a conceited a-hole.  I thought he was completely on-brand last night, and told Richard exactly what he is:  a great neurosurgeon who can only teach neurosurgery.  He isn't a teacher otherwise.

It's partially a joke, Meredith is in some ways still loyal to Derek and he is still her fantasy.

If you can teach Neurosurgery, you can teach other tasks.  He might consider it a downgrade to teach them but he can teach them.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 2

It's going to be George or Lexie.  She already had her "closure" with her mother in another death dream.  She had closure with her father while he was alive.  Unless they go way off base (or if Chyler Leigh and TJ Knight don't want to do it) and have someone like Adele Webber.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, madmax said:

It's going to be George or Lexie.  She already had her "closure" with her mother in another death dream.  She had closure with her father while he was alive.  Unless they go way off base (or if Chyler Leigh and TJ Knight don't want to do it) and have someone like Adele Webber.

My first thought was her mother too, because she has so many unresolved issues with her mother.  I don't remember a closure scene with her mother.  But, you know, after 17 years, I'm sure there's at least 11 years worth of stuff I don't remember.    So my second pic would be George because I don't want Alex or Izzy or Lexi.  I'd take a Mark sighting though.

• Love 2

I thought Patrick Dempsey looked awfully thin too!  

23 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

My first thought was her mother too, because she has so many unresolved issues with her mother.  I don't remember a closure scene with her mother.  But, you know, after 17 years, I'm sure there's at least 11 years worth of stuff I don't remember.    So my second pic would be George because I don't want Alex or Izzy or Lexi.  I'd take a Mark sighting though.

Ooh! A Mark sighting would be cool, I was hoping Lexie.  Then I thought the 4 she saw in her drowning vision in season 3 - Denny, the bomb squad guy, her Mum's old scrub nurse  and the woman who kept bleeding out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dmc said:

If you can teach Neurosurgery, you can teach other tasks.  He might consider it a downgrade to teach them but he can teach them.  

I respectfully disagree.  A physics teacher can't teach history.  A history teacher can't teach math.  I mean, sure, maybe they could on a very, very basic level, but not to advanced med students.  Koracick can't teach something he learned himself 30 years ago and hasn't used since.

• Love 2

Maybe it will be Kyle Chandler's bomb guy from way back when, with something about Meredith needing to stay alive to find a cure for COVID = keeping her hand on the bomb.

But I'd really like to see George or Lexi.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I respectfully disagree.  A physics teacher can't teach history.  A history teacher can't teach math.  I mean, sure, maybe they could on a very, very basic level, but not to advanced med students.  Koracick can't teach something he learned himself 30 years ago and hasn't used since.

He isn't a physics teacher, there are certain jobs all doctors can do.  No one's asking him to teach heart surgery, these are basic intern tasks. All doctors did them. Also he never said he didn't remember how, he said he couldn't teach them.  If you can teach one skill you can teach another skill you know.

Edited by dmc
5 hours ago, Quark said:

Probably one for the unpopular opinions, but I'm already bored of Derek.

I was delighted to see Derek at first, but for me, the problem is that the communication has gotten boring. I'm sure for Meredith, it's beyond thrilling, but about all he does is stand there with a big toothy grin.  I also don't understand the metaphor, "The sand isn't real."

Did one of the doctors say something about dialysis for the woman with the baby attached to the liver?  Dialysis??

• Love 3
17 hours ago, anna0852 said:

We've seen Ellis in flashbacks and image spots so many times that having her show up isn't really a thing.

George on the other hand…

I hope it will not be Ellis, because I don´t like her that much.. I agree with George, but I hope it will be Lexie 🙂 I don´t know if  I can wait another  2 weeks 😄 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Quark said:

Probably one for the unpopular opinions, but I'm already bored of Derek.

Well.. I think that this reunion is amazing, but I hope they will not take it too far. It will get boring soon. 

4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Lincoln standing in the yard shirtless was a good scene...LOL!  Patrick Dempsey is too thin - has he been ill?  I'm hoping for Lexie myself.

I hope it will be Lexie too. That would be totally amazing! ♥ 

• Love 1

What the heck did I miss?  What did they say about this "mysterious guest star" everyone is talking about here?  Or was that something in the previews for next week?  Can we talk about those in the episode thread?  I can never remember - different shows seem to have different rules.  I just watched on Hulu and either I zoned out for a minute or it wasn't in the episode... help?

• Love 2

I read somewhere that Patrick will be seen three more times after his first appearance so if we count in 17x03 it will only be two more. Should be enough. Tell Meredith to move on and then leave,dear Derek. That will be Meredith' closure. 🙂

5 hours ago, dmc said:

The woman who committed fraud and faced jail time as a single parent.  The woman who screwed up a clinical trial knowing she waiting on an adoption confirmation.  Meredith only considers Meredith and sometimes Christina and slightly less than sometimes Alex.  

If any one had told me Amelia and Linc would be THE couple on the show, I would not have believed them.  I for one am proud of Owen, he's being something we never see on this show PROFESSIONAL.  He's not letting his feelings dictate how he does his job.  

I sometimes ask myself how this woman got her Harper Avery Award.^^

• Love 2
18 hours ago, renatae said:

I don't know how much more of this I can watch. I'm a retired nurse. Although the storylines are interesting, this is way too depressing to me. They are dealing with reality, so props. I know the medical community is overwhelmed by this pandemic. I guess that's the problem: it's all too real. I don't think I can deal.

I agree. We don't need such thing for a whole season. Will they make up a storyline in which covid is gone? Because otherwise the show will be really to much like reality

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

I agree. We don't need such thing for a whole season. Will they make up a storyline in which covid is gone? Because otherwise the show will be really to much like reality

They're:

A. Known for taking on topical issues

B. In Seattle, where the first outbreaks in the US were seen

C. Placing the season in the midst of Covid gives them a way to allow their cast and crew to remain safer by wearing PPE, even while filming so I think the Covid situation won't magically disappear.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Spritti12 said:

They're:

A. Known for taking on topical issues

B. In Seattle, where the first outbreaks in the US were seen

C. Placing the season in the midst of Covid gives them a way to allow their cast and crew to remain safer by wearing PPE, even while filming so I think the Covid situation won't magically disappear.

I agree.  It would have been weird if they ignored COVID.  Also, they've done every kind of bizarre or obscure medical illness possible over all these seasons, including various contagious disease outbreaks.  This pandemic gives them so much to mine in terms of stories. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the bomb squad guy (Coach from Friday Night Lights) again!

Bomb squad guy? Boy, between that and the mystery guest, I feel like I’m watching a different episode than y’all are. Or I’m dozing off more than I realized.  Either of which is a definite possibility. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Shellie said:

I was delighted to see Derek at first, but for me, the problem is that the communication has gotten boring. I'm sure for Meredith, it's beyond thrilling, but about all he does is stand there with a big toothy grin.  I also don't understand the metaphor, "The sand isn't real."

Did one of the doctors say something about dialysis for the woman with the baby attached to the liver?  Dialysis??

I think the dialysis was because they saw that the liver was damaged and they couldn't fix it. They said she would need a transplant too. I hope that woman is back next week because her storyline felt very much up in the air.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What the heck did I miss?  What did they say about this "mysterious guest star" everyone is talking about here?  Or was that something in the previews for next week?  Can we talk about those in the episode thread?  I can never remember - different shows seem to have different rules.  I just watched on Hulu and either I zoned out for a minute or it wasn't in the episode... help?

It was in the promo, yes. They said someone else from Meredith's past will be there (on the beach/dream/coma-land). I think you are allowed to talk about them in the episode thread for Grey's. You are right that different shows seem to have different rules. 

The only new intern I really noticed was Mama Ortiz, and I liked her. And having her daughter be a fellow intern could be an interesting dynamic. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Hulu doesn’t show promos

Right sorry I didn’t word that clearly. I realize Hulu doesn’t show promos, that’s why I was wondering if it was in the episode and I missed it, or if it was in the promo, which I didn’t see. Or if people were even talking about the promo, which I wasn’t sure was kosher here but have since learned that it is. 

Edited by SoMuchTV

We had the imaginary romance of Izzy and Denny a million seasons back, no way they're going back to that well for Mer & Der.  He's there to warn her about something.  

Maybe the "visitor" is her dead father, Thatcher.  He'll impart some patriarchal wisdom to the woman who just can't ever seem to color inside the lines.  

Koracik has just degenerated into a pathetic, groveling worm.  He can't do a damn thing but whine and snivel about loving Teddy.  He needs to go, he's already outstayed his welcome.  Every time he's on the screen, he's just replaying his role as Richard on "Ally McBeal".  Seriously, his personality, dialogue and mannerisms are exactly the same.  Some writer just watched re-runs & cut/pasted his Lawyer speechifying into Doctor speechifying. 

Amelia & Linc should have just named the kid Shephard Lincoln. (Like on ER when Carla Reese & Peter Benton named their kid Reese Benton)  What they chose sounds ridiculous to me.