Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: One-of-a-Kind Experience

• Start Topic

(edited)

That was hysterical.  I was laughing so hard I started to feel bad for them.  It was so completely incompetent. I thought the burning piglets would be the worst part but then Loreal walked up to the table and started tossing a few sad little flower petals half heartedly at the judges and it was all over.  Comedy gold, that one. 

Ugh. One more week of Sarah. Jeeze.  And what the hell is she wearing?  She talks, acts, and dresses like a fourteen year old girl. Even her hairstyle is very juvenile. This woman has children!!! She is just beyond obnoxiously vapid. And of course her team was given the eaiser proteins and she herself was given the opportunity to snag steak. Of course.  I can't help thinking that the producers are really trying to channel her toward the win. She keeps getting advantages that are just soooooo coincidentally her stronger suits.  I don't believe it is just all luck of the draw. Once or twice, but she's been getting these lucky choices for weeks now. 

You know though if you think of it another way, my dh pointed this out to me, if you were Sarah and you were offered the choice of steak wouldn't you jump at it too? It kind of fell into her lap and she would have kicked herself if she chose something else and failed since she was given the opportunity to make something she was familiar with.  We would have criticized her for not choosing it if she passed it on to one of her other teammates. Kind of damned if she does and damned if she doesn't lol.

I don't think they're setting her up for the win or at least I hope they're not. I think she will probably go to the final 3 and then be eliminated before they choose the winner. Seems to me from Alton's tweets that the producers like her so I can see her in there for a while yet. I still think Lenny is still the one to beat. I also don't see Luca staying much longer. They've proven their point... he improved with Damaris and Geoffrey's help but I cant see them needing another Italian chef on that channel. If he does win I hope they will use subtitles so people can understand him.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3

I didn't understand what the purpose of their having visited those restaurants was for.  They should have tied the restaurant to the final prodcuts.  Luca, for example, went to a noodle place, he should have been required to make a noodle dish.

And why would anybody put caviar into an ice cream sundae?  Who wants a salty sundae?  They might as well have thrown anchovies in.

I'm calling shenanigans on Lenny and those sea urchins.

If he'd had any experience with uni in the past, I don't think he would have been glomming up the plate with "cauliflower two ways and [shudder] truffle oil."

But then how was it he prepped like a pro?  Sea urchin is not exactly intuitive. (It's one of those unfortunate creatures that's alive when it arrives in the kitchen.)  You have to break through all the softer toothy bits at the bottom and try to extract the two uni globes without breaking them up.  Lenny had his ice water bath all set up and everything.

The inequitable distribution of proteins was outrageous.  "We're giving this team steak, duck and frog legs.  We're giving the other team sea urchins, a huge pile of crustaceans and a kind of pork that's different from any pork you ever heard of."

• Love 4

Yeah I agree with everyone who said those proteins were a set up.  "Here you get a sea urchin and you get a prime steak" - huh?

I also don't see the point of the restaurant visits other than maybe it was an ad for winning big in Vegas. I'm all in favor of the salty/sweet combo but who's going to pay $1k for a sundae?  Do they get to keep the overpriced spoon?

I'm full of questions tonight apparently... this is kind of a crossover with the Bachelorette threads but when did "SHUT UP!" become an acceptable thing to shout at people? I have been hearing it more and more but noticed it tonight when my fave got cut.

I didn't understand what the purpose of their having visited those restaurants was for. They should have tied the restaurant to the final prodcuts. Luca, for example, went to a noodle place, he should have been required to make a noodle dish.

I thought for sure they were going to tell them to recreate what they had eaten in the restaurant. That would make the most sense of sending them there in the first place. But no, we get that obvious set-up and crazy Loreal throwing flower petals at the judges. She did seem high as a kite, to me.

• Love 2

I think that only the sea urchin was a difficult protein, because it is the only one I can't match up with a remaining contestant and assume it would have been okay. I think Lenny would have been fine with the pork, and probably gave a much less insane presentation had that been his meat.

Emma's team was such a mess during the presentation. They forgot to be themselves and turned into that scene from that one episode of Buffy where they're performing a Greek Tragedy and are so awful its hilarious. I laughed watching them be all confident and then failing. Its a reality TV trope, but it works. I was really hoping for a Loreal crash and burn because I knew they'd never let Lenny go and Emma isn't just Guy Fierri in a skirt so I wanted her to stick around a little longer. 

Sea Urchin is a tough protein, but I don't think its an impossible protein like geoduck or something. Also, I think Lenny is a better chef than just a chuck wagon Cowboy. He seemed to get the food at Guy Savoy and has, in the past, made some really good looking, elevated food. Even the burgers last week had lamb and curry ketchup, things that speak to having some experience with food outside of his wheelhouse. He got tripped up for sure, but he's been the frontrunner for pretty much the whole competition so he can handle a bad week.

I love Luca. I get that his food wasn't amazing and he's not going to win, but he is one of the few people who understand how to tie the food into a personal story which is key for Bob and Susie. Emma had this until she went on her pigs on fire history lesson tonight. Nicole knows that she needs to do this but doesn't know how.

• Love 1

Ok, so they claim to have seen promise in the Hair Product calling herself Butcher Babe?  Where??  She is gratingly annoying.  

And if that is her concept then what the heck does it mean?  Would she cut up meat as a show?  And how exactly does someone become a butcher?  Is there a school for that or do you take a job at a meat shop or grocery store meat dept and suddenly you're a butcher??

(edited)

Sea Urchin is a tough protein

If you've never watched Masterchef, there was a lady last year who was BLIND and made a winning dish with live sea urchins. If she can do it, anyone can, if they know two hoots about food. Which Lenny does, I believe.

All Luca had to do was mention his grandma and everyone smiled. What is it with dead grandmas (or live ones, for that matter) that turns those people into a simpering, drooling mess? I'm waiting on Lenny to mention his Granny any time now.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1

To nitpick, Luca related the story about his grandmother's recipe that used quail.  He never mentioned that he substituted duck in his dish.  With all the brouhaha last week, that annoyed me.

It all goes back to the judges being able to see the contestants POV.  They keep calling Loreal "Butcher Babe", so they see that as her POV.  The same for Lenny's upscale chuck wagon concept and Sarah's Texas.  Agreed that FN doesn't need another Italian, so Luca is extraneous.  They just need him for the redemption arc that every reality show must have. 

Since Nicole is still dead to me, I can't comment on her....*LOL*

• Love 1

Maybe they excused Luca's faux pas as part of his language skills, or lack thereof. I was waiting for him to say something about "Today I had duck as my protein, and I transformed this beautiful bird the same way my grandma did with quail...." or at least lie and say his grandma cooked duck this way. They'd never know since I highly doubt they will ever meet grandma to question her.

Penn seemed to like things the judges didn't, or vice versa. Betcha they don't ask him back to judge again.

• Love 2

I'm not the most adventurous eater in the world, but I do love proteins.  When 'Caesar' started doling out the proteins to Sarah's team, I was impressed.  Great proteins, all of which I've had.  Yum!  Then, 'Caesar' moved to Emma's team -- sea urchins?  I know they are a delicacy in Japan and, honestly, I'd probably very much enjoy them, but I wouldn't have the first idea about preparing or flavor matching them.  And why did Miss Travel The World and knows all sorts of food items think the Cowboy would know more about sea urchins than she does?  Was she setting up a colleague to take the fall?

While Lenny didn't serve a good dish this week, he did help Emma with her pork (that he would have rocked) and did the beverage pairings for their group.    I think the cowboy knows his food.  Nicole also impressed me by reigning in Pageant Girl at the supermarket.

Finally, I had watched Chopped earlier in the day, so I have to ask.  Why didn't anyone call out Pageant Girl on her portions?  I know she was served a 32 ounce piece of meat, but that didn't mean she needed to give them that much.  I'm willing to bet Giada doesn't eat 32 ounces of food in a month!  (Also, Pageant Girl's table manners reminded me of Guy Fieri -- that's sooooo not a compliment.)

I figured Emma was the one going home, but I'm sorry she left.  I'd rather Loreal would have gone.  I'd MUCH rather Sarah's team would have crashed and burned, and Sarah gone home!  Couldn't she have had the sea urchin???  I do think the food choices were favorably stacked toward Sarah's team.  It seemed pretty obvious.  It's not so much she chose the steak, but the three proteins her team got were easier to deal with.  I think even frog legs were easier, even if less know, because an experienced cook could have figured out the best way to cook it by comparing it to similar size and texture proteins.  But sea urchin, Loreal's protein (forgot what it was) and the unknown pork?  It seems unbalanced. 

Question: was Lenny's mistake more the cauliflower with truffle oil or the sea urchin itself?  Also, it seemed like the team captains had to decide who cooked each protein as the scroll was unrolled without knowing what the other proteins would be.  I take it they couldn't change proteins afterwards?

• Love 1

I think that one of the problems that Emma had was that she didn't listen to her teammates.  Lenny very specifically told her not to add much to the pork and then the judges told her that she mucked up the pork-really?  Tons of herbs and a fruit compote?  Nothing about that sounds good to me.  Plus, she had it in her head for them to be Garden of the gods-really only thinking of her presentation and not the others.  I would have supported either L'oreal or Emma leaving from those bottom two.

Now, as for Team Sarah...there was nothing subtle about her dish.  I laughed when the praise about her dish was how tender the steak was.  Yes, when one uses Waygu beef, it IS going to be super tender regardless of what one does to it.  There really wasn't anything imaginative or unique about her dish.  I totally felt like she was purposefully saved. and I just don't see what the producers see.  

• Love 2

Not good at names, but there was a girl on Top Chef who served up a Flintstones chop like that a couple of years back and got roundly shot down and I think eliminated for it.

Their scriptwriters fooled me - two of my picks for top 3 are now out.  At this point I can see more reasons why they wouldn't pick any of the remaining contestants than why they would - Rodeo Clown, Wut Wut and Pageant Girl should be obvious, Luka is nice and can cook but can't talk, and it sounds like damning with faint praise but I still think Nicole is probably too pretty for FN's predominantly female middle American audience. 

I knew Emma was going home as soon as the winning team was announced.  The judging criteria seems to be less about cooking ability or even the ability to talk on camera, and more about having an outsize personality.  Now you have to be a "character" - almost a caricature - to stand out and survive this competition.

Did Lenny actually use Truffle OIL, or Truffle itself?  We all know using the oil is instant death/dismissal/catastrophe for any foodie contestant, but the actual Truffle itself wouldn't necessarily be.   I heard him mention it, but I missed his actual use.  

• Love 1

As far as the challenge being "fixed" in order to save Sarah, I have to disagree.  

Remember, TPTB have full and absolute control over who goes home after each challenge.  They've already shown that they aren't afraid to send home someone whom they admit cooked the best dish.  And they've already shown that they aren't afraid to keep someone (many people, actually) who have commits errors that could've/should've been considered fatal.

I believe 100% that the person being eliminated after each challenge is pre-determined before the challenge even begins.  But, under the circumstances we've seen, why bother going through the effort of "fixing" a challenge?  The only reason would be to make sure that the pre-ordained outcome looks plausible (or looks less implausible).  But TPTB have shown that they don't really care about that.

As far as Emma and her POV.  The thing that I doubt TPTB would ever acknowledge openly is that: you can have an ill-defined POV if you have a distinctive, big personality.  And you can have less personality if you have a truly distinctive, unique POV.  But you can't survive on this show without either a big personality or a unique POV.  

That's what killed Emma.  And, imo, Chris last week.  They're POVs, although clearly stated ("farm to table" and "elevating xyz") were still someone broad.  And they couldn't compete in the "personality" department against the likes of Loreal, Lenny and Sarah.

So look who's left:

1.  Lenny - Gregarious Cowboy.  It doesn't really matter what he cooks.  You know who he is.

2.  Loreal - "Butcher Babe".  I think it's ridiculous, I think she's had major FAIL in cooking BEEF!.  But, again, you know who she is.

3.  Luca - "Hot Italian Guy".  I couldn't tell you what he's POV is. I don't think he's even stated it.  But you know the ladies will likey.

4.  Sarah - Here, her "personality" isn't what she thinks it is (I think), but it's distinct enough for them.  She's the stereotypical blonde, Texas High School Cheerleader after her Freshman 15 (and Sophomore 25).  I swear, she'd cook on-camera in a whip-cream tankini (tm Varsity Blues) if she could.

5.  Nicole - "Coastal Cuisine".  I think Nicole is the remaining finalist with the most defined, unique POV.  I find her very attractive.  But I think she's a far 5th when it comes to "personality" in this field.  I'll be surprised if she makes it F4, unless they keep her with the idea that she's least likely to upset their Chosen One when it comes to the viewer vote for the winner.

• Love 3

The Garden of the Gods theme could totally have worked if they had ascribed their protein as an offering to a specific god. 

Hades gets the langoustine with a fiery sauce.

Poseidon gets the sea urchin

Zeus the pork

• Love 1

It's a little weird because (and I may be wrong because I don't eat seafood at all) but my very vague understanding is the best way to go about eating sea urchin is to basically do nothing to it? That's part of the appeal I think? Just eating it directly? Maybe I've been watching too much Chopped but I think it's weird and sort of tricky of them to include an ingredient in a cooking challenge where perhaps the best way to succeed is to have the person doing a cooking demo: not do anything to the ingredient. It's sort of a trick question? Not that you can't do anything to it and have success, but usually just presenting an ingredient they'd be all "you didn't show us any technique or ability" but with a food that's generally best served as-is, it'd be a harsh criticism, so how do you know enough not to do much? Maybe make something to serve with it that'd be complementary? Or are you supposed to try anyway, and probably fail if you're not familiar with it...or what? It'd feel like a mind game you couldn't win either way unless you happened to be brilliant.

• Love 2
I also don't see the point of the restaurant visits other than maybe it was an ad for winning big in Vegas.

When they first sent them there and said it was important to get a 360 degree view, I thought it was going to be an eating challenge where they'd have to talk to the chef, describe the experience, and then take a bite and describe the food.  Which was cool, because I figure they'll have to do that at some point on this network (that, or judge a competition).  

But as it played out- yeah, those visits were pretty useless.  Even as commercials, where am I going to get an extra month's rent to buy a sundae with a lot of unnecessary crap on it?  

Also, something bugging me about this challenge- if the goal was for the contestants to create an experience, should they have been able to do more stuff with the restaurant then a little bit of decoration on the table?  It's hard to give an experience with just the food, imho.

• Love 2
Also, something bugging me about this challenge- if the goal was for the contestants to create an experience, should they have been able to do more stuff with the restaurant then a little bit of decoration on the table?  It's hard to give an experience with just the food, imho.

Right. How could they do a "one of a kind" dining experience when they had none of the flourishes that go along with that. I guess technically it was a one of a kind experience in that none of these characters and the judges will be together again for this meal in Vegas. I guess Loreal tried with her rose petals but no. 

When they first sent them there and said it was important to get a 360 degree view, I thought it was going to be an eating challenge where they'd have to talk to the chef, describe the experience, and then take a bite and describe the food.  Which was cool, because I figure they'll have to do that at some point on this network (that, or judge a competition).

Based on watching Melissa D'Arabian harsh on EVERYONE'S food on that Guy's Grocery Games show, they definitely NEED to know how to do this. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it would have been impossible for them to do the kind of show that is done at Nobu or to replicate the supposed thrill of the $1,000 sundae. On top of that , they couldn't choose their proteins and had to be cohesive.

They all seem too nervous to be ready to host a show, but maybe everyone is I don't know. I can't stand Lenny, butcher babe or Sarah and I'm sure Nicole or Luca have zero chance so I guess I don't care who wins.

I would love it if Penn Gillette would take his shtick and never grace my tv again but I'm sure there are a few shows he hasn't hit yet.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1

a girl on Top Chef who served up a Flintstones chop like that a couple of years back and got roundly shot down

I think that was Jennifer, the blonde, who pitched a shitfit when she was eliminated early in their version of All Stars.

Did Lenny actually use Truffle OIL, or Truffle itself?

He used the oil, I watched him pour it in and thought, oh no... kiss of death!

If there was one time when costumes might have come in handy, it was this one so Emma could dress everyone in a toga with gold leaves crowning their heads.

I guess Loreal tried with her rose petals but no.

But no. No indeed. Like others, I found that the most unintentionally hilarious part of the whole night.

My cat could have cooked that steak and it would have tasted good. (My cat, however, is not nearly as annoying as Sarah.)

The whole awful thing for me, the thing that I vowed wouldn't happen, oh god...can I even say it?

I'm rooting for Lenny now. For god's sake most of the others can't even really cook. Sarah, it goes without saying. Emma, who didn't know to manage any of those proteins, got by far the easiest, and screwed that up. Loreal (every week Mr. Gardencrown walks into the room and says, "Is that really her name?" It's like he has name amnesia.) has hardly cooked a decent item. BTW, "skinerveret?" or whatever. Gag me. Luca's cooking has seemed kinda meh -- better in concept than in execution. Nicole -- okay, she can cook reasonably well. And that's just it REASONABLY WELL. Wouldn't you think that contestants on a cooking show could do better than "reasonably well"? Even I can cook "reasonably well." So yeah, I want the goddamned cowboy to win. Probably wouldn't watch his show (and if he takes his shirt off again, all bets are off), but out of this lot of complete and total losers, (sigh) Lenny FTW.

• Love 6

The whole episode was awkward.  Like others, I didn't understand the point of sending them all off for expensive dining experiences unless the point was advertising revenue for FN.  All I learned about the contestants was that Lenny has probably worked in fine dining and has nice table manners and Sarah has neither.  She was shoving huge pieces of steak into her mouth and all I could think of was choking hazard.

I imagine that Emma's story was a result of nervous babbling without thinking it through first but, as soon as she segued from baby pigs being burned alive in a barn fire to yummy food on their plates, I knew she was a goner.  After I read her exit interview, I wondered how on earth she thought she was going to handle being under contract to FN if she won in addition to all the other things she and her husband are doing.

I think Lenny knew how to deal with all the foods but he made the mistake of using cauliflower puree and truffle oil.  I can't understand how anyone who has ever watched reality TV on FN would decide to use truffle oil.  I'd never heard of the kind of pork Emma was given but Lenny knew it and told her to leave it alone.  She should have listened to him.

when did "SHUT UP!" become an acceptable thing to shout at people?

That raises my hackles every time I hear it.  Same with "sick" to mean "good" or whatever.  Both sound totally juvenile even if the speaker is 40.

• Love 2

Right. How could they do a "one of a kind" dining experience when they had none of the flourishes that go along with that. I guess technically it was a one of a kind experience in that none of these characters and the judges will be together again for this meal in Vegas. I guess Loreal tried with her rose petals but no. 

Based on watching Melissa D'Arabian harsh on EVERYONE'S food on that Guy's Grocery Games show, they definitely NEED to know how to do this. 

Melissa was bitchy last night. I don't think she gave a single positive about anyone's food. The other female judge at least tried to say something nice about the food the contestants presented.

Back on topic though, they were supposed to create a meal that was over the top indulgent like the foods they tasted at the different restaurants. I'm still shaking my head over the money that was charged for those foods!

• Love 1

That was one of the more bizarre episodes of this show. The "special experience" was disconnected from a cooking challenge (and Nicole got the exceptional prize imo with the $1000 sundae--Champagne-infused caviar would be interesting, but still, if memory serves, it's so expensive because its decorated with gold leaf that you can't eat or keep. Also, served with a gold spoon? So what?

Maybe that sundae was a hint for how to win this: "If you can give us lots of meaningless flash and a Big Show we don't care if you can actually make delicious, realistic food that people would enjoy eating."

I don't believe Luca defeated all those cooks with his skills and is back for any reason other than 'bringing the pretty" (which, somehow isn't working for me because I'm already bored and irritated by him again.)

The inequitable distribution of proteins was outrageous.  "We're giving this team steak, duck and frog legs.  We're giving the other team sea urchins, a huge pile of crustaceans and a kind of pork that's different from any pork you ever heard of."

That was pretty crazy. Was frog legs supposed to be weird? It would be so easy to just guess how to cook them (tastes like chicken!) compared with everything that the other team got. Between Luca coming back and the intentional inequity of that challenge, I commend them for keeping good humored. I'd have been fuming.

However, on the bright side, was their bizarre presentation. I realized I have never paid attention to Emma until Bob said, "I love her presentations because she knows so much and I always learn something." So, I perked up when she came out and started referencing "folklore", anticipating learning something. Burning down the barn with the baby pigs inside but..."Good news! They taste delicious that way!" was--I'm pretty sure--(1) bs. as "folklore", and (2) not even true that an animal killed like that would taste good. She seemed like an idiot, but It did make me laugh,despite the gruesome imagery, thinking how different her "culinary point of view" would hypothetically have looked on the FN Recipe website "Step One: Torch barn... Step Two..." all accompanied by FN blather about, "I got this recipe from my grandmother who grew up on a farm..."

• Love 2

But no. No indeed. Like others, I found that the most unintentionally hilarious part of the whole night.

My cat could have cooked that steak and it would have tasted good. (My cat, however, is not nearly as annoying as Sarah.)

The whole awful thing for me, the thing that I vowed wouldn't happen, oh god...can I even say it?

I'm rooting for Lenny now. For god's sake most of the others can't even really cook. Sarah, it goes without saying. Emma, who didn't know to manage any of those proteins, got by far the easiest, and screwed that up. Loreal (every week Mr. Gardencrown walks into the room and says, "Is that really her name?" It's like he has name amnesia.) has hardly cooked a decent item. BTW, "skinerveret?" or whatever. Gag me. Luca's cooking has seemed kinda meh -- better in concept than in execution. Nicole -- okay, she can cook reasonably well. And that's just it REASONABLY WELL. Wouldn't you think that contestants on a cooking show could do better than "reasonably well"? Even I can cook "reasonably well." So yeah, I want the goddamned cowboy to win. Probably wouldn't watch his show (and if he takes his shirt off again, all bets are off), but out of this lot of complete and total losers, (sigh) Lenny FTW.

I think my cat could too hey lets have a cook off! Your cat and mine LOL.  I was thinking the same thing with the pork and Emma. Pork is very easy to fix but it also needs to be seasoned. I agree with Lenny in that you don't want to overdo it, but in the same token you need to do something to elevate it. She did nothing to it except stuff it and put it in the oven. I don't recall seeing her season it at all except to make the stuffing. I agree with your assessment of everyone and I am pulling for Lenny to win. He seems to be the most interesting of all of them and seems to know what he's talking about more so than the others.

(edited)

Like most of you, I can't stand Sarah and I can't believe they didn't "ding" her for basically serving each of them a whole cow. How is that supposed to help a home cook, unless the whole family is supposed to dine off of that one piece of meat? What makes Sarah unpleasant to me is that she seems like such a poor winner -- with all the giggles and smirking at other people's failures -- and she has that kind of backbiting competitiveness about her that doesn't make her someone I'd want to "invite into my home" on a daily or weekly basis. She just reminds me of a "mean girl."

I think Luca's there for eye candy. You all are right, Italian cuisine has been done and done again, and is being represented all over the tube. But, I guess the one thing "Food Network Star" has never produced is a hunky winner that, I'm supposing, the majority female demographic can drool over. They've had cute female winners and schlubby, guy next door winners -- pun intended -- but no male with any sex appeal.

As for Emma, she was okay, but some reason, I thought she was a vegetarian. So, every time she got meat to cook, I wondered how she's going to do *that*. But, now I see, she's farm to table? So, she incorporates a story about cute little piggies being burned up in a fire and, conveniently, being served up as dinner as if it's some feel good anecdote. I think the only one who could possibly pull off that kind of story is Martha Stewart, because we already know the woman is all business and not exactly touchy-feely. You'd expect *that* lack of sentiment from her, not from Pixanne in her Magical Forest.

Of those remaining, the only two contestants who hold the promise of actually having a cooking show where one might learn something is Lenny and Nicole ... because they can actually cook.

Edited by Nidratime

When they had the poll up, asking which food you'd rather have, the $777 steak or the $1000 ice cream, I went with the steak, because it would at least "save" me $223 in comparison!

I agree with almost all the above posts about this episode--so weird and slanted in Sarah's team's favor.  However, I'm always glad when Bob and Suzie show up.  I noticed that Bob told Lenny to "dial it down" a little.  There's a famous youtube clip of Bob saying the same thing to Season 2 contestant Guy Fieri.  Good advice, Bob! haha

Like most of you, I can't stand Sarah and I can't believe they didn't "ding" her for basically serving each of them a whole cow. How is that supposed to help a home cook, unless the whole family is supposed to dine off of that one piece of meat? What makes Sarah unpleasant to me is that she seems like such a poor winner -- with all the giggles and smirking at other people's failures -- and she has that kind of backbiting competitiveness about her that doesn't make her someone I'd want to "invite into my home" on a daily or weekly basis. She just reminds me of a "mean girl."

I think Luca's there for eye candy. You all are right, Italian cuisine has been done and done again, and is being represented all over the tube. But, I guess the one thing "Food Network Star" has never produced is a hunky winner that, I'm supposing, the majority female demographic can drool over. They've had cute female winners and schlubby, guy next door winners -- pun intended -- but no male with any sex appeal.

As for Emma, she was okay, but some reason, I thought she was a vegetarian. So, every time she got meat to cook, I wondered how she's going to do *that*. But, now I see, she's farm to table? So, she incorporates a story about cute little piggies being burned up in a fire and, conveniently, being served up as dinner as if it's some feel good anecdote. I think the only one who could possibly pull off that kind of story is Martha Stewart, because we already know the woman is all business and not exactly touchy-feely. You'd expect *that* lack of sentiment from her, not from Pixanne in her Magical Forest.

Of those remaining, the only two contestants who hold the promise of actually having a cooking show where one might learn something is Lenny and Nicole ... because they can actually cook.

I think the reason why they didn't ding her for the big portion of steak was because they were looking for decadence and outrageous Vegas style food. I agree about Sarah and being a poor winner. She sulks and pouts when things don't go her way yet she doesn't mind laughing at another contestant who screws up. That's the one thing that ticks me off on Cutthroat Kitchen and Chopped. I hate it when the other chefs smirk and laugh when their opponent does something wrong. Watch when/if Sarah gets eliminated she will whine that it was unfair and so and so messed up too or if so and so hadn't done that then I wouldn't have gotten eliminated.

Yes, Luca is there for eye candy and for the benefit of Giada and Susie to drool over for a while. I will eat my hat if he wins the whole thing. Plus, I don't really see what the appeal is. He's attractive but drool worthy not.

Would people actually watch a cooking show based on the host being eye candy? That baffles me, quite frankly.

Well, I wouldn't unless the person could also cook, but how many shows are now on Food Network where the cooking is the least of it!? Diners, Drives-in and Dives is one big example and it seems like every time I turn on the channel, that show is on.

• Love 1

"There's a famous youtube clip of Bob saying the same thing to Season 2 contestant Guy Fieri.  Good advice, Bob! haha"

I remember when Bob said that too. I guess Guy didn't listen because he is a success now. Lenny is a lot like Guy in personality. They're both always on and over the top.

Would people actually watch a cooking show based on the host being eye candy? That baffles me, quite frankly.

I would love to say no, but...I might, if it was on.  I wouldn't seek it out or anything, but I'm not above pausing on a channel with an attractive person (to my taste) on it.  And if they combined it with the new wave of nakedness (naked real estate, naked survival, naked dating...), well...that might actually pull in shallow viewers like me.

• Love 2

I would love to say no, but...I might, if it was on.  I wouldn't seek it out or anything, but I'm not above pausing on a channel with an attractive person (to my taste) on it.  And if they combined it with the new wave of nakedness (naked real estate, naked survival, naked dating...), well...that might actually pull in shallow viewers like me.

Eye candy or not.... I would only watch Luca's show if every other channel was blacked out and there was nothing else on.... ok maybe not even then. If this guy wins head honchos, please have SUBTITLES. I cant understand him. Although, upthread I thought someone mentioned that he was faking the accent? Maybe I'm dreaming that. Anyway, no matter what when he uses the Italian accent I can't understand him. And yes, it is amazing what people will watch on TV. Its no holds barred.

• Love 1

Yeah, that story about the piglets is total BS.  Because explain to me WHY the barn would have been filled with suckling pigs, if people were not yet eating pork?  Were they keeping them as pets?  Oh, I know, they were milking - no, gathering their eggs - no, using them to hunt vermin - hmmm.  I know.  They must have been keeping pigs to find truffles.  The ancient world must have been covered in truffles to the point that it would make sense to expend food and room to keep pigs to find truffles.  Yeah, that's it.

I'm still sort of pissed that Loreal didn't go instead, but as I said last episode, Emma had been wearing thin for me, so I'm not unhappy she was sent home.  Just unhappy it wasn't Sarah.

• Love 1

I'll definitely watch Curtis Stone whenever I run across a show he's on....But he's good looking IN ADDITION to knowing what he's doing in the kitchen, and he's got natural charisma to me....  Plus, his accent is easy to understand.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Lenny will win and Nicole will get something on Cooking Channel because she's attractive and can cook, maybe eventually moving over to FN. And I'm okay with that, because Lenny's actually grown on me (unlike Rodney from last season) and actually seems able to dial it down more than Guy (and knows how to chew food with his mouth closed--another plus, since he'll probably get some non-cooking competitive eating or traveling show).

FN is so commercial now that I think Bob and Suzy are mainly thinking about their "next generation" of "stars". Nicole could be waiting in the wings to replace Giada (like Damaris would for Paula), and Lenny is an obvious successor to Guy.

Edited by Padma

No lie, I specifically watched the Naked Chef way back when because Jamie Oliver was so freaking cute. Turns out he's a great cook and I have a bunch of his cook books and genuinely respect the guy but yeah, starting out it was purely because I thought he was hot. Maybe Luca will win and they'll have him travel around the country and he'll just describe things with seductive adjectives. "Give the pork butt a smack, make it tender." "Today we're going to dive into a luscious chuck roast." "This is Vermont's wettest bakery". 

• Love 2
(edited)

And if they combined it with the new wave of nakedness (naked real estate, naked survival, naked dating...), well...that might actually pull in shallow viewers like me.

Coming soon on Food Network: Completely Naked Chefs

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 1

I would.  If I was offered a hot muscular guy who wore a tight tee and jock strap.   Compared to, I dunno, Guy The Lard Weasel Fieri, sweating and leering into my camera.  Or Ree Drummond inanely giggling as she cooks off the label of a bunch of cans.  Or even Giada taking all the joy out things that actually taste good as she doles out servings I'm guess even her daughter's dolls say "more please you bobbleheaded food issued cleavage cinched to your chin bitch".

Overall I want instruction or even just fun appreciation of good food.  If it comes wrapped in pretty.  Well no complaints.  But if I have to sit and watch the dreck that Food Network and apparently most of its demographic consider entertaining, I'd rather they just air the stupid Zesty ads in half hour loops and I keep it on mute. 

That said Luca does nothing for me.  Mostly because I find the silly post modern hipster mullet that is the tucked behind the ears blue boy look way too twee and affected for any male over the age of thirteen to pull off.

• Love 1

Emma's team was such a mess during the presentation. They forgot to be themselves and turned into that scene from that one episode of Buffy where they're performing a Greek Tragedy and are so awful its hilarious. I laughed watching them be all confident and then failing.

I was half expecting Lenny to come out wearing a table cloth toga, playing Zeus for the presentation.

That raises my hackles every time I hear it.  Same with "sick" to mean "good" or whatever.  Both sound totally juvenile even if the speaker is 40.

That's one of the things that turned me off about Nicole early on. In one of the early episodes she said they had a "sick pantry" (or kitchen, I'm not sure) to work from. Not only does it make you sound like you're 15, I really don't want to hear the word "sick" when someone is talking about food.

• Love 5