Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: One-of-a-Kind Experience

• Start Topic

That car fire you saw last night is what happens when you're more concerned about the stories you're going to make up -- ERRRR, tell -- than the food you're cooking.

Piglets were in the car.

• Love 2

Nicole isn't fake but she is dull and still has a hard time relaxing and being herself in front of the camera. That's pretty big because that would be her job if she won.

Nicole seems to be a little better when she's talking to actual human beings than just talking to a camera. When she is on camera she has the deer in the headlights/I can't remember what I was about to say syndrome going on. If she ever got a show she would need LOTS of work before she was ready. Being natural and relaxed on camera comes more naturally to some people, but others never seem to really get it. If it doesn't come naturally it can be a hard thing to master and takes a lot of work.

(edited)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Sarah can not only grill a steak, she can also cook corn on the cob by throwing it into boiling water.. The judges were actually besides themselves over this bit of culinary wizardry. One of them actually said something like "you made every kernel pop with flavor." Maybe she should just skip the rest of Food Network Star and go on Next Iron Chef.

I understand that this show is an end in itself, because it gets high ratings, but I also think there should be such a thing as the producers respecting the audience by presenting contestants who genuinely would have something to offer if given a show. I believe that was the case during the first few seasons, and has been less and less so every year. I mean, I think Kelsey Nixon only came in something like 6th in her season, and she's head and shoulders over anyone they have this year.  It's become all about cartoonish reality show fame whores. The contestants who don't fit that profile seem to just be there to give the show what little legitimacy it is, but they're generally eliminated early on.

Since she doesn't have a neatly defined image that can be explained in a couple of words (ie. Southern Gal ) or an ethnic identity (ie,Italian, Indian) I don't see Nicole lasting much longer. Being from the Jersey Shore, if she'd come on as a clichéd tough, gum chewing, Jersey broad she probably would've had a better chance of winning.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Sarah can not only grill a steak, she can also cook corn on the cob by throwing it into boiling water.. The judges were actually besides themselves over this bit of culinary wizardry. One of them actually said something like "you made every kernel pop with flavor." Maybe she should just skip the rest of Food Network Star and go on Next Iron Chef.

I understand that this show is an end in itself, because it gets high ratings, but I also think there should be such a thing as the producers respecting the audience by presenting contestants who genuinely would have something to offer if given a show. I believe that was the case during the first few seasons, and has been less and less so every year. I mean, I think Kelsey Nixon only came in something like 6th in her season, and she's head and shoulders over anyone they have this year.  It's become all about cartoonish reality show fame whores. The contestants who don't fit that profile seem to just be there to give the show what little legitimacy it is, but they're generally eliminated early on.

Since she doesn't have a neatly defined image that can be explained in a couple of words (ie. Southern Gal ) or an ethnic identity (ie,Italian, Indian) I don't see Nicole lasting much longer. Being from the Jersey Shore, if she'd come on as a clichéd tough, gum chewing, Jersey broad she probably would've had a better chance of winning.

That enthusiasm with Sarah was ridiculous. They were gushing as if she was the first person to ever cook a wagyu steak. That's why I think she will stay throughout the duration of the competition. The producers love her. She may not win, but she will bring in the ratings. Look at how many people are commenting on her here.

Unless L'Oreal steps up she could possibly be the next to go. The judges continue to comment on how her personality is so inconsistent and her food has underwhelmed.

I think Luca is safe for now unless he screws up. He's not been on the bottom since his return do I would have a hard time believing that they would get rid of him right away.

Nicole could also go because they're getting down to the end and she still hasn't gotten comfortable on camera.

I think Lenny is the front runner even though he didn't do well on the last challenge last week. He's really the only one who has the potential to be camera ready.

OMG. I just realized finally why some people call Loreal 'Hair Product'.  I kept thinking it was her do.  It's her name!  Duh. 

At this point I think if Sarah simply makes rice in a boil n' bag and sticks some shit on top of it the judges will oooh and ahhhhh and declare her a genius.

Or makes a bowl of cereal..... Lol woot woot!!

Nicole could also go because they're getting down to the end and she still hasn't gotten comfortable on camera.

I think Lenny is the front runner even though he didn't do well on the last challenge last week. He's really the only one who has the potential to be camera ready.

I watched a large part of this episode again yesterday for some reason, and I started thinking about who they really have pegged as a winner versus who they keep around for the purposes of this show. 

Lenny does appear to be the front runner because he's pretty close to having enough TV skills to throw him in front of the camera next week. Also Lenny has, sea hedgehog excluded, gotten pretty good reviews of his food.

And that brings me to my big issue today.  I really wish there was some sort of web extra where we got to find out what the judges really thought about the food. The web site puts up a couple blogs recapping things. Justin gives his take on what happened. Alton talks specifically about why they eliminated who they eliminated. But what I think is missing is a quick hit from Bobby (preferably) about the food each week.

I understand this isn't Top Chef, and that the food is just part of the process, so there might not be enough time in the episode to fit in lots of food discussion. I'm damn sure I don't want the episodes to be any longer. So I thought it might be a decent idea to throw us a bone and have a web piece where we get some details on what was good and bad about each person's food.

I left the Nicole quote in above because it appeared as though both of her dishes were well received, but I got so little time spent on it that I'm not really sure if the stuff we saw on TV meant that her food was "better than the other slop" or "I'd happily eat this again!"

For example, on the frogs legs we got a sincere (which is hard to tell with him) "Really good!" from Penn. Somebody noted the crispy outside in what appeared to be a compliment. Alton apparently nodded in agreement. And Giada said, "I like the frogs legs!"  On the dessert, Bob or Susie chimed in with a "I like how the took the idea of something casual and made it into something elegant."

I mean, all of that sounds like good stuff, but would it kill them to give me 2-3 minutes on the side to do EXACTLY WHAT THEY FORCE THE CONTESTANTS TO DO EVERY WEEK, and give me some actual descriptions of the food I saw on TV?

Okay, I'm done complaining for now.

• Love 2

I agree Bella... I just don't see frogs legs at my local grocery store, and the meat and seafood dept. there is pretty well stocked. Nor that pork thing that Emma ruined. I won't even go there with the hedgehogs....

That just brought back memories of a lunch at my great-grandmother's house one time where we had turtle legs and frog legs. Apparently, one of the boys had been down to the creek and brought home lunch. I didn't eat any of it, I'd already seen them butcher a hog. :)

• Love 1

OMG, did anyone see the Rachael Ray show yesterday featuring the five finalists?  I recorded it and can't believe what a freaking bitch Giada was - When Rachael asked the judges how they thought the finalists did, Giada jumped at the chance to stick a dagger in the women by saying she thought "the boys" did better than "the girls" this time.  The audience AND Rachael gasped that she would even say such a thing!  Like WTF is up with her, is she really taking bitch pills these days?  I always thought she was one but now it's like she's going out of her way to show it to the world!  Meanwhile, I thought Nicole did great and Lenny kind of sputtered.

• Love 1

Oh, well, it's summer, this is a summer show, it's dumb, but I watch anyway, can't resist its brain-numbing allure.  Trying to be okay with that.  Credibility went out the door several seasons ago, so who cares who "wins"?  

After 4 pages of comments and critique plus having watched about 10 minutes of the last show I've cancelled my DVR recording for tonights episode.

I sure hope the esteemed members of this forum can provide me with the necessary updates so I won't regret not actually watching the show.

Thanking you in advance.....

• Love 1
(edited)

I was disappointed in seeing Emma go. I think they made the right decision based on the three choices they had, but Emma was one of the few who's show I would have at least tried to watch.

Edited by FavFable

So did anyone else find the irony in the Judges telling Cowboy Lenny being on TV requires a FN star to dial it down a bit, especially considering this show follows Guy "TWEN-TEE THOU-

SAND DOLLARS" Fieri on overly hyperactive Triple G?

The losing team definitely had the tougher ingredients, but they sure didn't help themselves with that pathetic presentation.

• Love 1