Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: One-of-a-Kind Experience

• Start Topic

That's one of the things that turned me off about Nicole early on. In one of the early episodes she said they had a "sick pantry" (or kitchen, I'm not sure) to work from. Not only does it make you sound like you're 15, I really don't want to hear the word "sick" when someone is talking about food.

Agree with this last part. Definitely not the picture in your mind you want to think of when you're eating. Reminds me of when one of them used the word viscosity when describing food. Giada had to point out that you don't want to associate that word with food. The whole group needs to get out a thesaurus and a grammar book to find better describing words and ones that pertain to food that won't offend.

The whole group needs to get out a thesaurus and a grammar book to find better describing words and ones that pertain to food that won't offend.

Too bad Bobby is missing in action, he could do that test where they describe a dish without using buzz words. And buzz them every time they do.

• Love 3
God Suzie and Bob annoy me so much!  They don't care how well somebody cooks as long as their story is good.

It's always the same, you could put a plate of poo in front of Bob and Suzie and as long as you mention your grandma you're safe.

Speaking of putting a plate of poo in front of people, has there ever been a more boring roster of finalists in the history of Food Network Star?  With all the people interested in cooking out there, if the show's casting people can't find a seriously more interesting or charismatic bunch of contestants next season, this show really just needs to end.  Nobody on here is even close to "star"-- at best (Lenny, I guess, by default) they have about the dynamism of someone who'd be eliminated in the second round of some show like, say, Cupcake Wars.  And I have a feeling that as soon as this season's over, many of us will remember them about as much as we would somebody who made it only into the second round of one epsiode of one of FN's multitude of game shows-- in other words, not at all.

• Love 2

I liked how Sarah's sole contribution as captain of her team was to assign herself the easiest protein. Poor Nicole had to dream up their theme, and then design and execute the dessert by herself. Then she had to reassure Sarah who was freaking out about not getting wine. All Sarah had to do was make two sides and not burn her steaks. Surely Sarah can't last another week, but I've been saying that every week.

• Love 1
(edited)

To be fair Sarah had a brief discussion in the car out their theme but you're right, she was very focused on the steak. Once she got what she wanted everybody else could do what they want as long as it didn't embarrass her, or make the team lose. Nicole agreed to do the dessert alone because she knew what to do. Nicole ran with the idea once Sarah brought it up. Not much leadership in that for darn sure.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3

Would people actually watch a cooking show based on the host being eye candy? That baffles me, quite frankly.

Yes. I've seen so many cooking shows at this point in my life that they've become ordinary TV to me, which means I might watch one for a non-cooking related reason.
  • Love 1

Where has Bobby Flay been? This is the second week he hasn't been with the show.

Bobby's no fool. He knows when to get out of the water, so when the shark comes he won't have to jump it along with everybody else.

THANK YOU all for alerting me not to watch this (or any future) episode. I tried this one until a.) I just couldn't take one more false "happy" grin from anybody, and b.) I read the comments here. I got an hour of my life back before I even spent it!

• Love 2

Bobby's no fool. He knows when to get out of the water, so when the shark comes he won't have to jump it along with everybody else.

THANK YOU all for alerting me not to watch this (or any future) episode. I tried this one until a.) I just couldn't take one more false "happy" grin from anybody, and b.) I read the comments here. I got an hour of my life back before I even spent it!

LOL funny...... But I think that he's taping his show Beat Bobby Flay which starts at the end of this month. I bet now that they will be in NY he will be back.

Me, too! This is the second or third season that I've stopped watching mid-way through and just relied on reading online comments to keep up.

Speaking of eye candy hosting a TV cooking show...versus someone with an outrageous personality. Who remember the Galloping Gourmet? :)

He could cook up a storm, but he had fun doing it. And although he wasn't the sexiest man alive, he was nice looking and fun to watch.

We need someone like that again.

• Love 2

Me, too! This is the second or third season that I've stopped watching mid-way through and just relied on reading online comments to keep up.

Bingo that's three of us now to save the time of watching this fiasco.

Emma, who someone earlier said they'd love it if she did bedtime stories to lull kids to sleep.

"Well, this little piggy, he wanted to go off to the market, but he was tied inside the barn with the rest of the family. And then, someone lit a match and the big flames burst out of the hay and killed the little piggy family as they went weee weee weee all the way to heaven!"

• Love 3

Emma, who someone earlier said they'd love it if she did bedtime stories to lull kids to sleep.

"Well, this little piggy, he wanted to go off to the market, but he was tied inside the barn with the rest of the family. And then, someone lit a match and the big flames burst out of th

e hay and killed the little piggy family as they went weee weee weee all the way to heaven!"

Still shaking my head as to what she was thinking. She's usually so good at choosing her words. She knew she was already on the bottom from last week and she would have to work hard to get back up where she was. It's like she just gave up in a way.

RE: "Piglets Die in Fire; Prove to be Delicious" story

I know in the grand scheme of things trying to follow the logic trail of this, my first thought was well down the path of "huh?".  But all I could think was "does this woman think before they discovered pigs were good eating....they just kept them as pets?!"

• Love 1
(edited)

Personally I think she was bs'ing and had no idea what she was saying. I don't think she could believe what was coming out of her mouth either. It just came out and she couldn't stop herself if she tried. I'm sure if she watched the episode after she was sent home she cringed and will laugh about it one of these days. If our mouths could be operated by remote controls I'm betting she wishes she could have muted herself of hit rewind. Alton's expression was so funny as she was talking. He was looking at her like WTF are you even talking about?

• Love 2
(edited)

I can only imagine the discussion at the table after Emma, Loreal and Cowboy Bob left the stage.

"What in the hell were they smoking? And can they share with us?"

LOL they looked like they didn't even know what happened or what to say about what they just witnessed. I would like to be a fly on the wall for the unedited version.

It did seem like they were on something especially after BB (butcher babe) sprinkled the rose petals and Emma's horrific bedtime tale.

Concerning an eliminated contestant getting a show on Cooking Channel, I really don't see CC as the farm league. I watch more CC than I do FN, because they have more instructional cooking shows. Fine Living wasn't getting ratings, so Scripps ditched it to add another channel about cooking/food, where they were getting ratings. Yeah, Kelsey Nixon, an also ran on FNS has a show there, but so does Bobby Flay. His brunch show has been renewed for a 3rd season. I love Mo Rocca's "My Grandmother's Ravioli", which has been renewed for a 3rd season. They've got some really winners on that channel.

• Love 1

That car fire you saw last night is what happens when you're more concerned about the stories you're going to make up -- ERRRR, tell -- than the food you're cooking.

Yes and for the viewer it was like seeing an accident and wanting to look away but you just can't lol.

(edited)

This felt like a wasted episode, but came so close...

Consider this:   They send the contestants off for their "one-of-a-kind" dining experience ($1000 ice-cream, $777 burger, $34 pepto-bismol).

Contestants come back and then are told -- "OK, you have 60 seconds to describe on camera what you ate, and why it was special".   Points off for "buzz-words".

Now we have a stack-ranked order of contestants based on that.  Contestants pick from the available proteins in order of ranking.   

Now we split into two teams -- either TexasBarbie and Emma get to pick or we spin a roulette wheel or something Vegas-sy.

So there you have it:  Both halves of the show are more tied together, we get to see some actual on-camera food description, and it might have sucked less.

Edited by Darth Nigel
  • Love 5
(edited)

Just caught this episode on replay. I am so depressed, because I thought for sure I thought we'd lose L'Oreal tonight. Instead if was Sweet Emma. Most of the weirdness of the losing team was due to L'Oreal, who seemed to be from another planet. I have no idea what TPTB, especially Kermit, see in her. He finds her "intriguing." Huh? The only thing intriguing about her is how one person can be annoying on so many levels, from her talking about herself in the third person to the ridiculous "Butcher Babe" label to the faux hipster wannabe expressions and her whole contrived appearance.

Why is it that TPTB always think the audience wants over-the-top phony "big personalities" (Pie Guy, Cowboy Lenny, Butcher Babe) instead of a pleasant person who tries to connect with the audience about food on an intelligent, adult level? Oh right. This is the network that choose to pin its identity and image on Guy Fieri.

Count me among those that was underwhelmed that the Texas Airhead Princess didn't screw up a gorgeous hunk of steak. The judges were oohing and aahing before they even tasted the meat. So for at least another week (and probably more) we get to hear that "Texas" is a POV. On a shallow note, when she pulls her hair back, which she does frequently, it makes her face look doughy and ringed in baby fat. Not attractive.

Lenny was sure one sweaty buckaroo during the judging. Interesting to see how quickly all the wise cracking bravado deserted him the first time he wasn't judges' pet. What he actually reminds me of is the cowboy character on a Saturday morning kids cartoon show. I guess I'm showing my age, but when I was a kid all the cartoon shows had cowboy or sailor or policeman characters. It's what Pee Wee Herman was riffing on with his "Cowboy Curtis" character on Pee Wee's Playhouse. I think that Lenny does know about food and can really cook, but his shtick totally loses me.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

a pleasant person who tries to connect with the audience about food on an intelligent, adult level

Well, maybe, until she told the flaming pigs story. At that point, I was afraid that all of her travel stories involved going to those places on the mother ship. :)

• Love 1

Thank you all for the outstanding recaps!  I've only watched the first episode, and was amazed at how awful it was!  We don't get the program where I'm living now, so I'm enjoying the experiences through your eyes….Keep it up!  I'm LOVING the snark!!!!

I could not get over when Emma told the pig story, she must have lost her mind for just a few minutes, so bizarre.

I'm sticking by my theory that being on this show causes brain damage. (Watching it doesn't appear to be too good for me either.) 

I usually watch this show as this show, and I try to pick my winner as the one I think deserves to win this show as opposed to who I think I might do well going forward on Food Network.  I thought Aarti was a deserving winner, but I never thought she would have appeal as a stand alone host. I thought Jeff and Justin were deserving winners and had reasonable chances to carve out some sort of audience but probably not become big stars. I even thought Melissa was a deserving winner despite the fact she had no shot of becoming a star because too may people hated her. She did a good job winning Food Network Star. She just had no shot of becoming a star.

Something happened to me last year, when I found myself liking Demaris and Nikki and actively rooting against Pie Hole and Russell, despite the fact that I thought the latter pair did a really good job playing the FNS game.

So this year instead of just accepting the fact that Lenny is the clear winner of the Food Network Star game, I keep finding myself thinking that he probably won't have a long run in the actual Food Network/Cooking Channel universe. During one of the car commercials, Lenny explains that he is inspired by old-timey western cooking. I see exactly how that would make him interesting on this show, but I can't for the life of me see how that makes him interesting long term. I'd much rather see a person who is excited about food and cooking, and is open to trying anything in the kitchen than I would be somebody with such a narrow focus.

(edited)

I usually watch this show as this show, and I try to pick my winner as the one I think deserves to win this show as opposed to who I think I might do well going forward on Food Network. 

I think you have this right.  All the time (and quite rightly, too) I read people saying "I'd never watch a show with PieHole/Butcheress/Penny/Lenny/(name your hatee)", when in fact that's exactly what they (and I) are doing.  And TPTB know this - this show is this show and it's a hit for them. 

I'd much rather see a person who is excited about food and cooking, and is open to trying anything in the kitchen than I would be somebody with such a narrow focus.

When they get people like that, I don't think they hire them through this process.  Or maybe in Mauro and Demaris's case, they hire them and ask them to go through the gauntlet for the good of the team.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 2

I knew the Food of the Gods team would lose when Emma had the liveliest voice of the three of them. 

Heh. Good point.

I did like Emma. She was a pretty good contestant, and I think she might be a pretty good person outside of reality TV.

But I think I agree with Alton Brown's post show wrap up (same link as the one posted earlier.) Emma has been a little flat throughout the whole process. She is enthusiastic about food, but her stories, her personality, and unfortunately her cooking have all been nice, but not anything that would make me even pause to check out what she was doing should I come across her while channel flipping some day. 

Not good at names, but there was a girl on Top Chef who served up a Flintstones chop like that a couple of years back and got roundly shot down and I think eliminated for it.

Their scriptwriters fooled me - two of my picks for top 3 are now out.  At this point I can see more reasons why they wouldn't pick any of the remaining contestants than why they would - Rodeo Clown, Wut Wut and Pageant Girl should be obvious, Luka is nice and can cook but can't talk, and it sounds like damning with faint praise but I still think Nicole is probably too pretty for FN's predominantly female middle American audience. 

Yes, I remember that too.  I believe it was Grayson.  I watched a rerun of Cash Cab (It's a quiz show) and in popped Grayson with a male friend.  I think they won some money too but did not go for the double or nothing.  

I think that was Jennifer, the blonde, who pitched a shitfit when she was eliminated early in their version of All Stars.

He used the oil, I watched him pour it in and thought, oh no... kiss of death!

If there was one time when costumes might have come in handy, it was this one so Emma could dress everyone in a toga with gold leaves crowning their heads.

Sorry Cooksdelight it might have been Jennifer with the big chop.  I didn't mean to contradict you. 

(edited)

I haven't been able to post - I've just been so pissed off at this show.  It's obviously a sham and a set-up for ratings purposes, not a real competition.  Both Mr. Intuition and I thought Emma's team was deliberately thrown under the bus with the choice of proteins.  Everything after that was going to happen no matter what, and that even includes Emma's bizarre barn story.  When you are forced to reach so far up your ass to give the judges what they ask for that you forget anything remotely resembling decency and logic, this is what happens.  And the fact that a nice person like Emma was made to look like a fool doing it is really regrettable.  The real clowns in this competition are Lenny and "Butcher Babe", who I am so over, I can't even stand it anymore. 

I am showing my age here, but when Lenny sat down at Nobu, I thought, "Well the first thing you know, old Jed's a millionaire".  Look, I like a good character like anyone else but these people are FAKES.  They can't be compared to Graham Kerr, and to do so is insulting to him, IMHO.  Graham Kerr is eccentric but he is most definitely GENUINE and true to himself, not putting on some kind of act.  Lenny is obviously not the country chuck wagon rube he wants people to think he is (he knows too much about gourmet food), and "Butcher Babe" is another fake "look at meeeee" caricature of a retro-vibe hipster.  On top of that she is so full of herself it's nauseating, but I guess that goes with the package.  Sarah is just so phony and grating I can't for the life of me understand what the judges see in her.  She strikes me as almost desperate in a way.  She's yet another caricature, not a real person.  Luca is a fake too and puts on that over the top Italian act, but he is more believable because I think there is some honesty coming through the act, not just a "look at meeeeee" narcissism.  The only contestant left who isn't a fake "Pie hole" caricature is Nicole. 

I don't know what's going on with Tuschie and Susie.  I thought they were all about connecting with the audience in a real, genuine way.  There is no one here that connects with anyone but their own egos left in the pack except for Nicole, and she doesn't have the "over the top" fakey phoniness they seem to be looking for this season.  I think they've been watching too much YouTube and have decided this is what the "young people" want to watch.  Too bad that the kind of young people that are their target audience are too busy posting YouTube videos of themselves and selfies to want to bother with a cooking program with one of these bozos as the star.  This show?  Shark....jumped.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 4

Sarah is just so phony and grating I can't for the life of me understand what the judges see in her.

The way she throws her head back with her nose in the air when she's standing there in line, I guess she must have some darn pretty nose hairs that they like.

I haven't been able to post - I've just been so pissed off at this show.  It's obviously a sham and a set-up for ratings purposes, not a real competition.  Both Mr. Intuition and I thought Emma's team was deliberately thrown under the bus with the choice of proteins.  Everything after that was going to happen no matter what, and that even includes Emma's bizarre barn story.  When you are forced to reach so far up your ass to give the judges what they ask for that you forget anything remotely resembling decency and logic, this is what happens.  And the fact that a nice person like Emma was made to look like a fool doing it is really regrettable.  The real clowns in this competition are Lenny and "Butcher Babe", who I am so over, I can't even stand it anymore. 

I am showing my age here, but when Lenny sat down at Nobu, I thought, "Well the first thing you know, old Jed's a millionaire".  Look, I like a good character like anyone else but these people are FAKES.  They can't be compared to Graham Kerr, and to do so is insulting to him, IMHO.  Graham Kerr is eccentric but he is most definitely GENUINE and true to himself, not putting on some kind of act.  Lenny is obviously not the country chuck wagon rube he wants people to think he is (he knows too much about gourmet food), and "Butcher Babe" is another fake "look at meeeee" caricature of a retro-vibe hipster.  On top of that she is so full of herself it's nauseating, but I guess that goes with the package.  Sarah is just so phony and grating I can't for the life of me understand what the judges see in her.  She strikes me as almost desperate in a way.  She's yet another caricature, not a real person.  Luca is a fake too and puts on that over the top Italian act, but he is more believable because I think there is some honesty coming through the act, not just a "look at meeeeee" narcissism.  The only contestant left who isn't a fake "Pie hole" caricature is Nicole. 

I don't know what's going on with Tuschie and Susie.  I thought they were all about connecting with the audience in a real, genuine way.  There is no one here that connects with anyone but their own egos left in the pack except for Nicole, and she doesn't have the "over the top" fakey phoniness they seem to be looking for this season.  I think they've been watching too much YouTube and have decided this is what the "young people" want to watch.  Too bad that the kind of young people that are their target audience are too busy posting YouTube videos of themselves and selfies to want to bother with a cooking program with one of these bozos as the star.  This show?  Shark....jumped.

They like Sarah because she is blonde, bubbly, and gives great snark during her talking heads. I can see her staying through the end unless she screws up majorly then its goodbye Pageant Girl.  Intuition, my husband has the same theory that it is just staged and drama is created for ratings. They've had 10 seasons and in that time only 4 people are still on Food Network. That tells you how serious this competition is. Guy is the only really big success story and I guess Sandwich King is next since he still has his show and is also on The Kitchen. Melissa's shows are in syndication, Justin shows up occasionally on a show as a judge as does Aarti. Damaris is just starting out so I'm going to let that go for a while. So yes, I can see how this can be thought of as a ratings getter more than a competition. Nicole isn't fake but she is dull and still has a hard time relaxing and being herself in front of the camera. That's pretty big because that would be her job if she won.

Nicole isn't fake but she is dull and still has a hard time relaxing and being herself in front of the camera. That's pretty big because that would be her job if she won.

I can think of a lot of very interesting people (some of whom are actually very successful TV chefs) who would fade into the woodwork next to attention grabbing clowns like Lenny and Loreal, so I have to wonder how much of what we see is "spin".  I guess what the audience wants has changed, or so TPTB thinks, because they used to value people with a genuine approach.  I think even Damaris is genuine and entertaining at the same time, so it is possible to have both in one package.  Perhaps they're looking for another caricature like Nadia G. on the Cooking Channel.  I actually like Nadia despite the schtick, but then again the schtick is good, plus I think she has more going for her underneath it all than either Loreal or Lenny.  I never get the feeling that Nadia expects the audience to really believe she is 100% like that in real life.  I find her schtick to be more tongue in cheek.  I find Loreal and Lenny a little on the creepy side and a little too invested in their own caricatures.  I realize not everyone's going to agree.

• Love 2

Speaking of Nadia, she has a new show coming out called "Bite This".  It's yet another "road show" featuring cities and places to eat, which is not original but she's putting her own spin on it.  She is a little toned down on the schtickiness but still funny at the same time.  Plus she is not hard on the eyes.  I think she beats Loreal and Lenny by a mile.:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/bite-this-with-nadia-g/bite-this-videos.html

I don't know if the fact that this show is set up to be this show for ratings purposes makes it a sham. At least, that's not the way I've been watching it for the last few years.

The very interesting Alton Brown has shared quite a bit of information about what he thinks about all of it through various outlets, and since I believe him, I don't mind some of the obvious reality TV moves that are made.

For example, Alton said this before the season started when asked why it seemed like contestants get nervous in front of him:

"I've been real honest sometimes. In past seasons, if I get frustrated I show it. But it's only because I actually care. I've been on Food Network for 15 years. I love it. I want to protect it. And I don't want anybody who doesn't deserve to be on it on it. So I take it very seriously."

And I'm pretty sure the other two judges and for sure Bob and Susie actually care.

But Alton Brown has also been VERY open in his twitter account when asked things like "Why is Sarah still there?"  He willingly shares the information that the judges we see are not the only voters, and that the producers happen to love her and her interviews.

So I am also okay with the fact that this show exists to entertain me as its own entity.  Yes, I suppose I am a little bit entertained by the fact that certain contestants who have zero potential to be likeable Food Network personalities stick around on this show just long enough to annoy me and make me root harder for the good ones.  For sure it happened last year with Demaris and Pie Hole. And as it turned out in the end, even when supposedly left to the voting audience, I feel like I got the right winner even if most of the show felt like I was having pie shoved down my throat.

Speaking of Nadia, she has a new show coming out called "Bite This".  It's yet another "road show" featuring cities and places to eat, which is not original but she's putting her own spin on it.  She is a little toned down on the schtickiness but still funny at the same time.  Plus she is not hard on the eyes.  I think she beats Loreal and Lenny by a mile.:

I made it about a minute and a half.  I have to accept (given Fieri) that there's an audience who want "up" people on TV shouting at them.  I want people on TV smarter than I am telling me something I don't already know, and if it's an instructional program giving me hope that I could do it too, if I want to and will apply myself.

• Love 2
(edited)

Late to the party this week, just now getting a chance to watch and then read this here thread (which, by the way, is on and poppin'!)

To me, the "best" parts this week were the trips to the various restaurants, because most of them were hilarious.

"OOOOH!!! HIBACHI! OMG!"

Seriously? I mean, I get that it can be entertaining. Maybe the first one or two times, when you were ten. Might even get a bit of a kick out of it as an adult, especially if you're with kids. But come on already, you're an adult, eating alone, and if you haven't already had "the Hibachi Experience" at least a handful of times in various strip malls, you probably need to get out more. And I'm sure there are places (especially in Vegas, I suppose) who claim to have some kind of super-duper "high-end" version of it, but let's be real. It's fuckin' Hibachi. Calm down and get over it already.

"The gold spoon really makes a difference in the way this stupid sundae tastes!"

Sure it does. I mean, I too have seen the show where the dude who is a full-time taster for Haagen-Dazs (or whatever) explains that he uses a gold spoon so as not to taint the flavor, or whatever. But come on. You are not that guy, and neither is anybody else who's fool enough to actually buy one of those ridiculous sundaes. And "edible gold leaf" is one of the stupidest, most pointless things that exists in this universe. Extravagance for its own sake. That fact that that sundae even exists makes me weep for civilization.

And don't even get me started on Lenny. If there's one thing I could have lived my entire life without seeing even moreso than Lenny's bare chest, it's his o-face. *shudder* That's gonna stick with me for a while. Because... ew. Eyes rolling back in his head and everything. Brain bleach on aisle one! Stat!

Oh, and edited to add a couple things that just popped back into my head:

"Wagyu is like American Kobe!" Guh. Try googling that shit. Until then, shut up.

And a wagyu burger topped with foie and lobster? On what planet is that anything other than "Quit just piling expensive ingredients on top of one another! That's not a cohesive dish, it's just a bunch of expensive shit." 

Sheesh, this show.

Edited by Uncle Benzene
  • Love 6
(edited)

I don't know if the fact that this show is set up to be this show for ratings purposes makes it a sham. At least, that's not the way I've been watching it for the last few years.

I think it's a sham if they put it forth as a serious competition, which they are.  If it was put forth openly as just entertainment for its own sake I'd feel differently about it.

I made it about a minute and a half.  I have to accept (given Fieri) that there's an audience who want "up" people on TV shouting at them.  I want people on TV smarter than I am telling me something I don't already know, and if it's an instructional program giving me hope that I could do it too, if I want to and will apply myself.

Let me clarify - I'm with you 200%, I just think Nadia is a much better example of what they're going for this season.  My own taste in food show hosts tends towards PBS, not Food Network (Test Kitchen, Sara Moulton, Lidia B., Jacques Pepin, etc.).  The only shows (other than this) I watch on FN anymore are "Worst Cooks in America" and (because of Mr. Intuition) the occasional "Restaurant Impossible".  I also catch (very occasionally) "Chopped", "The Kitchen" (although that's wearing on me), "Sandwich King" and Damaris' show.  Other than that I don't really watch anything on FN.  And I don't even watch the Cooking Channel at all.

And I'm sure there are places (especially in Vegas, I suppose) who claim to have some kind of super-duper "high-end" version of it, but let's be real. It's fuckin' Hibachi. Calm down and get over it already.

LOL, I've actually been to a "high end" hibachi place in Las Vegas, and I totally agree with you!!

Edited by Intuition
For example, Alton said this before the season started when asked why it seemed like contestants get nervous in front of him:

"I've been real honest sometimes. In past seasons, if I get frustrated I show it. But it's only because I actually care. I've been on Food Network for 15 years. I love it. I want to protect it. And I don't want anybody who doesn't deserve to be on it on it. So I take it very seriously."

Yeah, I guess that's what "Cutthroat Kitchen" is all about.  STFU, Alton.  You just like being a dick.  Own it.

• Love 6

^^I find Cutthroat Kitchen to be the silliest show on TV - I watch it because Alton and the contestants know it's ridiculous and they're almost always having fun. It's kind of like Chopped only everyone is being silly instead of hawking a sob story.

But yeah, by virtue of hosting that show, Alton really can't talk about FN being serious.

I thought that it was annoying that they had the contestants who were the worst on the previous week be team leaders. It seemed to me that it was the only way that they could keep Sarah around for an additional week.

^^I find Cutthroat Kitchen to be the silliest show on TV - I watch it because Alton and the contestants know it's ridiculous and they're almost always having fun. It's kind of like Chopped only everyone is being silly instead of hawking a sob story.

But yeah, by virtue of hosting that show, Alton really can't talk about FN being serious.

I am not wild about that show but hubby loves it. I guess I'm just not a cutthroat person. Alton does look like he's having a lot of fun on the show as do the chefs. It's definitely not always about who is the best chef on that show..... It's usually the chef that survives the sabotages to get through each round and make something the most edible given the sabotages. Alton is still serious on that show but he also has fun. He always seems to look sour and serious with some sarcasm mixed in there most of the time on FNS.