Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Newbies

• Start Topic

With several candidates vying for residency at St. Bonaventure, Chief of Surgery Dr. Audrey Lim tasks Dr. Shaun Murphy, Dr. Claire Browne and Dr. Alex Park with mentoring the top first-year resident contenders. As their mentees shadow them for the day, Shaun and Park meet with Andrews to discuss a difficult surgery scheduled for a minor. Later, Shaun inadvertently insults Lea while discussing the pros and cons of the controversial surgery. And elsewhere, Dr. Morgan Reznick seeks out Claire and Lim's help on a consult.

Original airdate: 11/16/20

Good stuff with the newbies tonight. I approve of the final picks-Allen and Jackson I can definitely see fitting in very nicely among the team, and I think there's some really interesting stuff they can do with Wolke's backstory as well. I am kind of sad that Lundberg didn't make it, simply because he said at the beginning he was from my home state of Iowa :p. But his reasons for not joining up are fair. 

I also really appreciate that they didn't go the predictable route with Hooper. I was sure that the whole back and forth with him and Morgan and Claire was setting us up for a particular dynamic between those three going forward the rest of the season, but no. They were right not to take him on. 

Regarding the patients, I can sympathize with Allen's sentiments about the young girl's interest in breast implants, but yeah, her and Shaun debating it all right in front of her like that was definitely awkward (though at least the patient handled it well). Yay for everything turning out okay, though, both for the girl and the guy that Claire and Morgan were helping. 

I also relate to Claire not feeing comfortable talking about herself in a public setting. 

• Love 4

All things considering, I'm actually fine with the show going forward as a futuristic, hopefully optimistic "post-COVID" world, because it probably would have just gotten really draining and depressing if the virus was always in play here.  I can still see a few minor changes to make things as safe as possible (for example, it felt like there were way less background characters/extras during the cafeteria scene compared to previous ones), but I can understand wanting to have some form of normalcy going forward.  Still, I'm glad they got Freddie Highmore to actually address this before the episode itself started.  Even if I'm at the point where I can't get use to his normal British accent!

The introduction of the new first-year residents was definitely reminding me of when they brought aboard the new "cottages" on House.  Still haven't fully gotten a sense of them yet, but they did enough to make me agree with the four that are continuing on.  I like that they all seem to have both positive and negative traits.  Jordan isn't afraid to speak her mind, but sometimes chooses the wrong times to pick her battles.  Enrique a.k.a. "Board Shorts" might be a bit too chill and offbeat for his own good, but clearly has smarts.  Asher is outgoing and helpful, but I can see his eagerness backfiring on him if he isn't careful.  And Olivia seems really intelligence, but currently lacks confidence.  All of these traits are things I can see being worked on realistically, and the characters having potential to be good doctors (after-all, it's not like current residents are perfect either!)

Despite might annoyance with her in the past, I can actually understand why Reznick is frustrated watching from the sidelines, and while challenging Claire like she did come off disrespectful at times, I do think she truly was being sincere with thinking she was doing right for her patient.  That said, Lim made the right call when she finally made her leave, because Reznick did need to realize that she was actually overstepping during the surgery.

The Shaun/Lea stuff felt like similar retreads to past storylines with him and Carly, but whatever.  Although I did chuckle over the possibility of Paige Spara getting the script and reading the voice bit and going all "Wait, what are y'all implying, dammit?!" to the writers.

Not sure if it was the correct method for picking residents, but I definitely related to Park's main importance being "I just want to pick the ones who are least likely to annoy me and not end with me stabbing them with a syringe!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I really liked this episode-with the exception of the awk.ward oversharing at lunch. Yikes.

I liked that at the end when Claire finally spoke up, they cut to the reactions; Sean was not about to get into it, and Park seemed to be thinking dam, she did It! Lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This was a good episode - although it looks like David Shore likes to bring in new characters with the 4th season of a show.

34 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I hope this means Claire gets to be chief resident or whatever position it was that Lim and ... I forget the other guy's name... were discussing.

Andrews?

• Love 1

There were six applicants and they are keeping four, correct? Good for Claire, telling Lim that they did not want Mansplainer even though Lim had praised his high scores.

The applicants reminded me of conversations I have had with orchestra musicians. The person who plays best is not always the one you want to work with. Some orchestras hire a new musician for a limited tour, to see if they can get along with the others.

Woman having breast surgery: Was her clot caused by the surgery, or was it already there? If it was already there, she is lucky she had the surgery.

Man having heart surgery: Will the porcine bladder tissue eventually be replaced by his own heart cells?

• Love 6

I am alright with them just moving past COVID for a bit, if they didn't they would pretty much just be doing that for the whole season, and that doesn't sound like a great time either for us or for the people working on the show, so I am cool with them doing the premier to acknowledge it, then going onto other things in a non COVID setting. The opening from Freddie was nice, I swear its always weird for me to hear him now with his regular accent, I am so used to his American one. 

I like the newbies and their intro was fun, I think they made the right choices both for doctors and for the show. They all have their quirks, but they all also seem competent and have a lot to learn. It will be really interesting seeing how Claire, Shaun, and Park will do as teachers/mentors. Shaun is, of course, brutally honest, Claire struggles with confidence, and Park can be a hardass, so I am excited to see them trying to teach others after everything that they have learned. I am with Park on what is most important for a first year, they need someone who can work with everyone else who no one will want to punch every five seconds. When your on a team with lives on the line, its probably more important to find people that compliment each other than just the best of the best. 

Glad that both patients made it, even if it was touch and go for a but, as tends to happen. I get the one first years sentiment about the teen girl getting a boob job, but I also agree with Andrews that it was inappropriate to try and talk a patient out of surgery as it was about to happen. Then of course it turned out that Andrews was rooting for her after that, even when he told her not to question him in front of patients anymore, which I can also get. Having confidence and being willing to be caring but honest in her opinions can be great for a doctor, just tempered more with experience. 

Cant really blame the more quiet guy for leaving I suppose, they are a bit of an unconventional team. "Why do you hate God?" Oh Shaun, always coming in hot on the small talk. 

The Shaun and Lea argument was basically a retread of several other plots with Shaun, especially with Carly. I could basically see Carly in every scene with Lea and it wouldn't be very different, except that I like Carly/Shaun better. Its not like I HATE Shaun/Lea or anything, its just that they don't really feel like a couple the way that Carly/Shaun, I just don't see that chemistry. They still seem like friends or siblings, not boyfriend/girlfriend.  

Its possibly just me, and maybe I am just missing it, but do people really use the phrase "mansplaining" in their every day life? Unironically? I hear people talking about the actual tendency, or online in hashtags, but in their just every day life at their job? At least, I cant imagine its said in the real world as much as it is on television. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I just love everything about "The Good Doctor".  This episode was very good.  Love the new doctors who will join.  The two I did not like are gone.  Yay.  Reznick's doggedness last night was great.  She can be a pain in the neck but she is an excellent doctor.  I empathize with her problems adjusting to her new path.  She continues to think like a surgeon and that can be helpful to the team but her relentlessness can be disruptive.  FG is just great in the part, imo.

The show made a wonderful decision to have the show exist in a post-covid world.  Most people watch dramas to escape the depression or monotony of real life.  We have all had an overdose of reality and altered reality with the pandemic.  It was great to get away from it for an hour.

Shaun's evolving day by day and it is nice to see but he should always display signs of his autism, as it never goes away.  Freddie is so good in his role.  My one complaint is the loss of Melendez.  His death sparked lots of story and will continue to do so I would imagine but I miss the actor and the character.  Here's hoping Gonzales shows up on another show.

• Love 4

I didn't like that they jumped past Covid after just 2 episodes, but hey, it's their show.

I did enjoy the episode overall, especially with choosing the new medical students. I'm not so sure about Leah and Shaun as a couple. It comes across to much like star-crossed teenagers at times. I guess Shaun needs to fumble around and make mistakes to learn how to be a in a good relationship

The girl with the breast surgery, did she not have any family to sit with her and worry about her?

• Love 3

I just can't, you guys. Seriously, I can not stand Reznick. I CAN NOT STAND HER. I have not liked her ever. Not once. I do not understand why they decided to make her a series regular. I loathe everything about her. She's rude, obnoxious, selfish, uncaring. I just can't stand her. She ruins every scene she's in. And she's in SO MANY FREAKING scenes with my favorite Claire. I literally can not find one redeeming quality about this character. Not one.

RE: This episode. I liked that they went post-Covid. (Loved hearing Freddie Highmore's real accent. Rewound that about 5 times.) I found the episode overall kinda boring, though. Other than the insecure girl, and the former Hasidic guy, I didn't care for any of them (but they are all better than Morgan, even Hooper!). Shawn and Lea continue to be a bust and I continue to be so annoyed that Carly was basically used as 'training wheels' for Lea. Jasika Nicole deserved better.

• Love 7

I wonder why they are bringing in a bunch of new residents.  This reminds me of House.  Hopefully they don’t have Shaun run a car through Lea’s house and end up in prison too (House reference in case anyone doesn’t know).  Based on his behavior last season, I wouldn’t be surprised.  I’m only half kidding. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I hated the new ducklings on House because it was so manipulative (13 killed a patient but she got to stay while the rest of her team was fired) but I'm favouably impressed  by the new kids here. They all are competent, and they're all different (again unlike the House team who were all arrogant and judgmental). Even the one who left had a justified and realistic reason for leaving.

I wonder if that's Highmore's influence .

• Love 4
On 11/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, DanaK said:

The girl with the breast surgery, did she not have any family to sit with her and worry about her?

That really bugged me.

At one point, Andrews said that they would call her parents for permission to do the clot surgery in the morning, but if that was my child, I would be sitting at the hospital, especially if there was a complication and they were in a coma!

I'm really glad that they are in a pretend post-Covid world because those first two episodes were so damn depressing and I really need my TV to be non-Covid related these days - even if it involves a serial killer or something. 

Edited by aemom
Typo
3 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Where was the 17 year old 's parents??

This show tends to concentrate on interactions among the doctors (and Shaun/Lea, ugh). There is less time for patients' families, and for medical explanations, than some of us would prefer. Presumably the doctors explained everything to the girl's parents, but someone thinks we would rather watch Morgan argue with Claire.

The comparison to House reminds me -- have Freddie Highmore and Hugh Laurie ever worked together? They are both British actors who can do American accents, so I wonder what combination of accents would be the most fun.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Fable said:

I wonder why they are bringing in a bunch of new residents.  This reminds me of House.  Hopefully they don’t have Shaun run a car through Lea’s house and end up in prison too (House reference in case anyone doesn’t know).  Based on his behavior last season, I wouldn’t be surprised.  I’m only half kidding. 

Or Shaun being in a bus accident and remembering that someone is going to die, but not remembering who it is until it is too late.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2020 at 11:19 PM, Annber03 said:

Regarding the patients, I can sympathize with Allen's sentiments about the young girl's interest in breast implants, but yeah, her and Shaun debating it all right in front of her like that was definitely awkward (though at least the patient handled it well). Yay for everything turning out okay, though, both for the girl and the guy that Claire and Morgan were helping. 

It really felt like at the start of the show it was extremely rare for both featured patients to live. Then there was that wackiness with the conjoined twins where they kept going back and forth about which twin should die and after that they seemed to start mixing up the formula a bit because the "1 patient dies, 1 or 2 live" deal was getting too predictable. Sometimes we can get an episode where no one dies! I did like that the patient didn't have some epiphany about real beauty or whatever.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Where was the 17 year old 's parents??

Should not have they been consulted at some point?

They were consulted with, off-screen, when Andrews needed their consent to run the test to see what caused her pressure to drop in surgery. But usually, for a minor, you'd see parents in the room with them. Though not having actors play patients' parents could be a way to limit the number of people on set due to COVID.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

+1 to Śhaun/Lea seeming like friends, not lovers. No romantic chemistry.

I'd say that might be due to the fact that they're getting used to being in a romantic relationship. They've always been friends before, so this is new territory for them. And instead of sex, Shaun has to learn what's expected of him to be a good boyfriend. When they finally got together at the end of last season, I instantly knew that at some point Shaun would have to deal with these kinds of lessons while in his relationship with Lea. And also, that he would turn to Glassman for advice.

And maybe it's just me, but it seems their relationship interaction feels a bit limited due to COVID. They have hugged, and she put his head on his shoulder once, but haven't seen any real shows of affection. It makes me think they're limiting that due to COVID, which, in turn, puts a muzzle on their chemistry and also their relationship on-screen seem more like friends. In watching the first 3 seasons, it's clear they have plenty of chemistry together, and we're just not able to see it right now.  Richard Schiff and his real-life wife kissed each other last episode, and now both of them do have COVID, with it just being reported that he has been hospitalized.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, driver18 said:

I just can't, you guys. Seriously, I can not stand Reznick. I CAN NOT STAND HER. I have not liked her ever. Not once. I do not understand why they decided to make her a series regular. I loathe everything about her. She's rude, obnoxious, selfish, uncaring. I just can't stand her. She ruins every scene she's in. And she's in SO MANY FREAKING scenes with my favorite Claire. I literally can not find one redeeming quality about this character. Not one.

Joining the Reznick hate train.  I get she's pissed that surgery was taken away as a career but someone needs to take her down a few notches with her "In it but not in it" attitude.  Especially when it comes to yelling advice from the peanut gallery - if you don't have your hands on the patient, haven't been asked for an opinion and won't suffer consequences if the surgery goes wrong then keep the lip zipped.  Her career arc doesn't make sense though just like Shaun when he was pushed to the lab and they acted like it was surgery or that and no in-between.  There are so many specialties out there and the majority of them don't require you to have surgical skills; so if internist is so boring to her why isn't she looking at what might match her skills and her goals.  For that matter why isn't Glassman giving her guidance and suggestions - "If you hate it so much you can suck it up, you can move on or maybe you'd be better off to look into X, Y or Z as a specialty"

Claire needs to find more backbone and authority both to deal with Reznick and to handle the residents training.  She can't keep being nice and hesitant and letting people like Reznick walk all over her only getting angry about it later or in private AND advance her career and handle disagreements at the same time.  She needs to take a page from Lim and Andrews books.

• Love 4

So I get that we were set up to hate Hooper from the beginning "Oh, I'm an Olympian in a sport that screams rich entitled kid", but I got to tell you, that actually impressed me.  Crew practices start at 4:30 in the morning in College, and are pretty hard core.  Eight man involves getting 8 guys to row in perfect synchrony and means having upper body strength like a boxer and a training regime of runs and lifting.  To be an Olympian and a high scoring medical student means being very good at both things, so figure four hours a day on the Crew training and however long it takes to be a med student.  I'd be bragging my rear off if I was that good.  Doesn't excuse the mansplaining, but quite frankly I found him less off-putting in his interview than the guy who basically said "there is no God" without checking if I was a person of faith.

• Love 6

Reznick vs. Claire / Dr. Brown is getting old very fast. I'm OK with them being friendly rivals, but Reznick was extra-obnoxious. I could see Reznick being a high-level administrator or even a teacher at med school. I know that no other medical career will bring her the satisfaction of being a surgeon, but there is so much that she can do.

Leah's voice is quite annoying. I can't really put it into words, but it is to me. I wonder if she could change it by working with a voice coach?

I like the new Black doctor who spoke against the breast surgery. She is the voice of "wokeness" and diversity. I like how she pointed out that it is men who have historically dominated surgery.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

There are so many specialties out there and the majority of them don't require you to have surgical skills; so if internist is so boring to her why isn't she looking at what might match her skills and her goals.  For that matter why isn't Glassman giving her guidance and suggestions - "If you hate it so much you can suck it up, you can move on or maybe you'd be better off to look into X, Y or Z as a specialty"

I don't understand why they didn't put her in emergency medicine. It's the place for adrenalin junkies, it's creative trying to figure out the problem, and like surgery, you don't form a longterm relationship with the patient. It would provide a better pathway to the surgical stories too.

3 hours ago, Janie430 said:

So I get that we were set up to hate Hooper from the beginning "Oh, I'm an Olympian in a sport that screams rich entitled kid", but I got to tell you, that actually impressed me.  Crew practices start at 4:30 in the morning in College, and are pretty hard core.  Eight man involves getting 8 guys to row in perfect synchrony and means having upper body strength like a boxer and a training regime of runs and lifting.  To be an Olympian and a high scoring medical student means being very good at both things, so figure four hours a day on the Crew training and however long it takes to be a med student.  I'd be bragging my rear off if I was that good.  Doesn't excuse the mansplaining, but quite frankly I found him less off-putting in his interview than the guy who basically said "there is no God" without checking if I was a person of faith.

Same here. I found the formerly-religious guy more problematic because he saw too much in terms of his recent decision to change his life, like someone newly divorced seeing everything through those lenses.

And yes to the amazing determination of rowers who get up in the dark, go out in freezing temperatures then try to grab a quick nap before going to class, doing their work, getting to bed and doing it all over again the next day.

It's like if you're not broken in some way, you can't be on this show. Lim and Andrews being the exceptions.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, tennisgurl said:

Its not like I HATE Shaun/Lea or anything, its just that they don't really feel like a couple the way that Carly/Shaun, I just don't see that chemistry. They still seem like friends or siblings, not boyfriend/girlfriend.  

In their scenes together, they barely even come across as adults.

Definitely getting the House vibes with them bringing in the newbies.  Especially with Asher being an atheist (a favorite House theme).  I thought for a moment he was going to rethink his faith after seeing the wonders of the human heart, but they didn't go there, at least not yet.

It was nice to see everyone get happy endings.

I'm wondering how they're going to keep Morgan on the show, they can't just have her keep annoying the doctors with her input.  Her personality is repellent, so I understand why people don't like her, but I enjoy her on the show.  She manages to help keep things interesting, IMO.   

• Love 2

15 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

They were consulted with, off-screen, when Andrews needed their consent to run the test to see what caused her pressure to drop in surgery. But usually, for a minor, you'd see parents in the room with them. Though not having actors play patients' parents could be a way to limit the number of people on set due to COVID.

It was weird that they didn't just make the girl 18. She could have said she just turned 18 and so was able to decide about the implants. It still would have fit with her about to start college and would have made it a little less weird that you didn't see her parents, even if they were mentioned.

12 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Joining the Reznick hate train.  I get she's pissed that surgery was taken away as a career but someone needs to take her down a few notches with her "In it but not in it" attitude.  Especially when it comes to yelling advice from the peanut gallery - if you don't have your hands on the patient, haven't been asked for an opinion and won't suffer consequences if the surgery goes wrong then keep the lip zipped.  Her career arc doesn't make sense though just like Shaun when he was pushed to the lab and they acted like it was surgery or that and no in-between.  There are so many specialties out there and the majority of them don't require you to have surgical skills; so if internist is so boring to her why isn't she looking at what might match her skills and her goals.  For that matter why isn't Glassman giving her guidance and suggestions - "If you hate it so much you can suck it up, you can move on or maybe you'd be better off to look into X, Y or Z as a specialty"

Internist is a pretty surprising choice for her, it seems like the most boring option possible for a doctor, and surely other options exist. I agree with the poster that suggested emergency medicine, it would be more interesting for her and it would give them lots of storyline reasons to be around. Lots of ER patients probably end up needing surgery.

Did Reznik have a thing for the patient? She seemed super invested in how he was doing. 

• Love 5

I am confused about which names go with which newbie.

Am I correct in the following:

The one who didn't like personal conversations, talked very little, but found the blood clot: he removed himself from consideration.

The one who challenged the breast surgery: she's now in the program.

The ex-Hasid now-Athiest is named Asher and is now in the program.

The woman who had a double major at Harvard but is somehow still insecure: now in the program?

Board shorts and Other dude: which one is in and which one is out? 

38 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Did Reznik have a thing for the patient? She seemed super invested in how he was doing. 

I was wondering about that, too. There did seem to be a particular kind of rapport between them. There was another patient that she worked on once that she clicked with and it looked like things might get romantic between them, if I recall rightly-but then he died, so nothing came of it. I thought at first they were going to give a nod to that and have Morgan debating whether or not to take that risk with a patient again or something. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am confused about which names go with which newbie.

Am I correct in the following:

The one who didn't like personal conversations, talked very little, but found the blood clot: he removed himself from consideration.

The one who challenged the breast surgery: she's now in the program.

The ex-Hasid now-Athiest is named Asher and is now in the program.

The woman who had a double major at Harvard but is somehow still insecure: now in the program?

Board shorts and Other dude: which one is in and which one is out? 

Yes, you are correct.

Board shorts is in and Other dude is out.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't really think so, but I do think she thought he was attractive.   There was a scene where she said something like "You'll be sliding down your firepole in no time", and he said their fire department had stairs, and she said "Bummer".  There was some suggestion that she had some sort of fantasy image of his muscular frame sliding down that pole. 

Next time Park wants to have drinks with employees, maybe he should take them out to a bar instead of bringing a bunch of alcohol into the break room.  I'm surprised that is even allowed.  That way that Lunberg newbie wouldn't have had such cause to complain.  

• Love 2

I'm pretty happy this ep was set in a post-Pandemic future.  What with all the sporadic mask-wearing last week!  I was screaming at the TV, "Universal precautions!  Keep your masks ON, in all areas of the hospital!"  Outdoors, 6 feet apart, sure, go ahead and lower them.  But inside?  Keep them ON!  Hey, I've been wearing one since March, and I work with cancer, patients, not COVID19 patients.  I take it off to eat (alone!), and when I get in my car after my shift.

So....is COVID over by July?  New residents start July 1!  Dare we hope?  I liked the Hasidic Atheist who dates men.  Love that he ran down to the tissue bank and got the pig bladder!  Yeah, Resnick definitely liked the fireman (and he was a cutie.)  I was surprised he'd be physically fit enough to go back to firefighting after that major surgery, successful as it might be.  Maybe he won't be able to, and he and Resnick can bond over losing their dream career due to a physical limitation.  

• Love 4

I’m calling it early that St. Claire will be chief resident. From the minute Andrews called out how he didn’t think she was assertive enough I knew the plot was going to circle back to her proving him wrong by telling Lim she was wrong about the sexist intern which of course was a ploy by Lim to see who would be most honest.

I know I’m in the minority but she continues to wreck my head. Morgan is a pain but at least she’s shown to have flaws and growth unlike St Claire. I grew tired of her early season two when she became a clear writers pet. 

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, rmontro said:

Next time Park wants to have drinks with employees, maybe he should take them out to a bar instead of bringing a bunch of alcohol into the break room.  I'm surprised that is even allowed.  That way that Lunberg newbie wouldn't have had such cause to complain.  

I thought the same thing, it was weird to do it in the break room. Especially if they were still on duty.

But maybe they were restricted with filming on locations or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought the same thing, it was weird to do it in the break room. Especially if they were still on duty.

Perks to being a doctor, I guess.  Especially if your boss is in on it with you.

I did notice that the residents were not in their work clothes when Park was drinking with them, so perhaps it was when they were off duty.

It's full-circle to see the residents we met and got to know in Season 1 (Claire and Shaun), now veterans of the hospital and supervising new residents who are in the same position they were in during S1 (Claire seemed to be working there a fair amount of time longer than Shaun but I get the vibe she was also fairly new at that time).

• Love 1
On 11/19/2020 at 4:00 AM, The Wild Sow said:

I liked the Hasidic Atheist who dates men.  Love that he ran down to the tissue bank and got the pig bladder! 

I was so confused by that -- why did he do that? Hadn't Lim just asked someone in the OR to go get it?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ForReal said:

I was so confused by that -- why did he do that? Hadn't Lim just asked someone in the OR to go get it?

Maybe he decided to run with the OR nurse and the OR nurse filled out the paperwork while he got it

On 11/18/2020 at 1:23 AM, WinJet0819 said:

Richard Schiff and his real-life wife kissed each other last episode, and now both of them do have COVID, with it just being reported that he has been hospitalized.

Does this mean the myriad of people involved in this week's episode have to self quarantine?  Does anyone how long ago it was filmed and whether he'd tested negative?

• Love 1

I think it’s fantastic that the white residents (Reznick & Murphy) & supervisor (Glassman) are portrayed as elitist, stubborn, weird, tolerated, difficult, anti-social, narcissistic and out-of-touch.

In spite of them, the rest of the cast deftly assesses patients and problems that pop up and manage to educate their awkward white colleagues in the process.

All in all, a great start to this season and a show dedicated to inclusiveness, breaking down racial barriers and destroying stereotypes!!!

Kudos, The Good Doctor!!!

Edited by kicotan
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, kicotan said:

I think it’s fantastic that the white residents (Reznick & Murphy) & supervisor (Glassman) are portrayed as elitist, stubborn, weird, tolerated, difficult, anti-social, narcissistic and out-of-touch.

In spite of them, the rest of the cast deftly assesses patients and problems that pop up and manage to educate their awkward white colleagues in the process.

All in all, a great start to this season and a show dedicated to inclusiveness, breaking down racial barriers and destroying stereotypes!!!

Kudos, The Good Doctor!!!

.....wat

it's not about race, it's about the characters.

Reznick has always been like this, and her behavior is demonstrated in how much difficulty she is having adjusting to internal medicine (No idea why she picked that, when emergency medicine is riiiight there).

and Shaun has autism - not a good portrayal of autism, but his behavior in this episode was consistent with his past behavior. It wouldn't matter if he was black, white, asian, female, or nonbinary - it'd still be similar behavior, because that's how Hollywood writers see autism.

• Love 2

Excellent decision to move beyond COVID. We’ve lived this and we need some entertainment relief. The first two episodes were beautifully done-points made without being preachy (looking at you, Grey’s). Cannot tell you how much I appreciate this decision and Freddie’s opening statement.  With its minor flaws, it’s the best of the medical dramas.

I actually like Resnick. Does this make me weird?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, limecoke said:

I actually like Resnick. Does this make me weird?

Not at all. I think she can be a jerk at times but I enjoy watching her journey. I actually dislike Claire... now that is a UO. 

• Love 1