Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Graduation

Bort
  • Start Topic

After graduating high school, Sheldon has a breakdown when he realizes he may not be ready for college. Also, Dale tries to make amends with Meemaw.

Airdate: 5 November 2020

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

• Love 1

I loved this woo! So glad my show is back! I laughed (George’s trifecta remark) and cried (Sheldon’s speech).  And Leonard Cooper!  And Amy!  

Thanks for putting a smile back on my face and making me forget crap for 30 minutes. 

• Love 24
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Most kids who leave high school early aren't going to college; "it's for prison or pregnancy."

And then Sheldon interrupting the young girl telling the principal that she's pregnant with the line "protection is a must!"  Or something to that effect!  

I never thought of eyebrow lice from a pair of goggles!  Ick!  

I'm excited for the storylines we'll get of Missy starting a new school.  Maybe they'll give a little more screen time to her and Georgie now.  I hope we'll still see Tam from time to time.  He grew a lot too!  

• Love 13
Just now, ChitChat said:

And then Sheldon interrupting the young girl telling the principal that she's pregnant with the line "protection is a must!"  Or something to that effect! 

Yup, and right on cue she started sobbing!! 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The Trifecta made me laugh out loud. 

Missy made misty.  

Leonord Cooper redoubled that than more laughs at Leonard Nimoy Cooper... and AMY!!!!

Alternately, I have no interest NONE in born again Coach.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I'm okay with Dale being back.  I didn't care for Connie with Dr. Sturgis.  He was too much like Sheldon that it kind of icked me out that she was going out with someone just like her grandson.  Sorry, I just couldn't get past that.  😉 

• Love 8

I almost didn't recognize Tam!  He really grew up.  As did Missy.  And I love her hair.

I also loved her reassuring Sheldon, and his speech directed at her, especially since Mom, Dad, and Meemaw all were being smug thinking it would be directed at them.  

• Love 19

I found it hard to get into the episode at first but started coming around when Missy and Sheldon were talking in their beds and both admitted to be scared. 

I also broke out into a huge smile when Sheldon mentioned he had a son named Leonard Cooper! And then when Amy interjected I bounced in my seat and squeed out loud, heh. I really hope she will have more little cameos. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Is Leonard Cooper a BBT reference? Because I didn’t get it.

Leonard (Hofstatder) is his roommate/best friend on BBT. (Though his next line suggests he might have actually named his son after Leonard Nimoy.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I'm so happy to have this show back, not only because I enjoy it for what it is, but also because it's not set in the present day so I can forget about the pandemic for 20 minutes. This was a great episode, perfect mix of funny and emotional. I'm excited for Sheldon to start college since high school didn't challenge him nearly enough.

I yelled "no way!" when voice-over Sheldon said that his son's name is Leonard Cooper, but of course it made more sense that Sheldon was honoring Leonard Nimoy rather than Leonard Hofstadter.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I yelled "no way!" when voice-over Sheldon said that his son's name is Leonard Cooper, but of course it made more sense that Sheldon was honoring Leonard Nimoy rather than Leonard Hofstadter.

Yeah, Amy wouldn't let Sheldon add the "Nimoy"!!! Hahaha!!

Amy: "Be happy I let you name him Leonard!"

Adult Sheldon: "OK, OK."

Amy: "Love you."

Adult Sheldon: "Love you, too."

❤❤❤❤❤

Edited by catlover79
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

So thrilled it's back!!!

I teared up when Sheldon directed his speech to Missy and then squeed and burst into tears at Leonard Cooper and squeed again at the Amy narration. I know Leonard Cooper is for Leonard Nimoy but I adored the Leonard/Sheldon friendship so I can just see Leonard acting smug about it, Sheldon telling him the baby is named after Nimoy not him, Leonard being all "Deny it all you want but you just need an excuse to name your kid after me" and Sheldon getting worked up about it (Leonard spoilt Sheldon but he had his moments and they were glorious).

I love this show and TBBT. They gave me EVERYTHING!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

So surprised to see this pop up on my DVR tonight (I record everything then skip commercials). Loved the whole episode especially with the ending of "Leonard Cooper"...

Same here!  I'd also forgotten how much I like this show and this episode did not disappoint - especially Amy at the end!  The only thing I was puzzled about was the 'come to Jesus' attitude of Dale.  Had this been hinted at last year? If so I completely missed it.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Yeah, Amy wouldn't let Sheldon add the "Nimoy"!!! Hahaha!!

Amy: "Be happy I let you name him Leonard!"

I think Sheldon might have had better luck having Stephen for his son's middle name.  As in Hawking.  Maybe at some point during the show's run we'll get a narration bit from Leonard Cooper himself along with dad.

• Love 4

I was disappointed to see Dale back, but I get the feeling his "turnaround" is due to a medical issue (drinking water only, praying, going to church, apologizing).  

I miss Dr. Sturgess.

When old Sheldon said his son was named Leonard, I thought, "uh oh" until he said he wanted to name him after Leonard Nimoy rather than "best friend Leonard".  In my experience, people who name their children after their best friend usually do it after that best friend has died.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The only thing I was puzzled about was the 'come to Jesus' attitude of Dale.  Had this been hinted at last year? If so I completely missed it.

I think that he truly likes/loves Connie, hence his willingness to be a better person.  Apparently he had a light bulb moment when he realized how awful he was to Georgie.  He said that drinking usually leads him into not thinking, so maybe the alcohol was a big part of him being a jerk. 

• Love 6

I would not have been shocked if the surprise they were hinting at regarding someone from the BBT turned out to be Professor Proton.  There were multiple references to him in the episode.  Perhaps that was misdirection b/c they had told everyone to listen for a BBT reference at the end of the episode.   Amy's voice and naming their son Leonard was wonderful and much better than what I was thinking.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I would not have been shocked if the surprise they were hinting at regarding someone from the BBT turned out to be Professor Proton.  There were multiple references to him in the episode.  Perhaps that was misdirection b/c they had told everyone to listen for a BBT reference at the end of the episode.   Amy's voice and naming their son Leonard was wonderful and much better than what I was thinking.

I wonder if there's a young Bob Newhart look-alike out there to play a right-age Professor Proton. I don't think they could make BN look young enough to be believable.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm excited for the storylines we'll get of Missy starting a new school.  Maybe they'll give a little more screen time to her and Georgie now.  I hope we'll still see Tam from time to time.  He grew a lot too!  

I would love to see Missy at school. We already know what kind of person Georgie is at school, because we've seen it. We have never seen what Missy is like with her friends from school, so that would be fun to explore. I would be okay with not seeing Tam anymore or seeing much less of him.  

I would love more Amy in the narration, even if it's just a correction or an admonishment two or three times a season.

The relationship between Missy and Sheldon is wonderful. As much as they don't understand each other, they do love and care for each other.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I would be okay with not seeing Tam anymore or seeing much less of him.  

At least they gave him a good send-off (if we don't see him again) in that he has a new group of friends with the Jazz band.  Much to Sheldon's dismay, he was not the center of Tam's universe!!  

• Love 8
21 hours ago, nora1992 said:

And Billy Sparks graduated!!!!

And bless his heart, he couldn't get the motions right when they were singing.   This land was made for you (points at himself,) and me (points at the audience!)  

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Same here!  I'd also forgotten how much I like this show and this episode did not disappoint - especially Amy at the end!  

This was better than I remembered. Maybe it was just so refreshingly normal after all the real life hell, but it did seem extra sweet too.

10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Same here!  I'd also forgotten how much I like this show and this episode did not disappoint - especially Amy at the end!  The only thing I was puzzled about was the 'come to Jesus' attitude of Dale.  Had this been hinted at last year? If so I completely missed it.

I assumed Dale was doing a Twelve-Step Program, but this could be it too:

8 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I was disappointed to see Dale back, but I get the feeling his "turnaround" is due to a medical issue (drinking water only, praying, going to church, apologizing). 

Either way, the character needed a reboot, and this worked.

6 hours ago, snarkylady said:

I would not have been shocked if the surprise they were hinting at regarding someone from the BBT turned out to be Professor Proton.

I like the idea of an actor from TBBT being repurposed as a young Professor Proton (if that's what you meant). Which one?

bbt-guys.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter

With regards to Dale, I'm wondering if they're setting him up to have some sort of terminal illness? The newfound interest in God and church seemed to come out of left field. He also seemed really subdued compared to how boorish he was last season.

I thought this episode was hilarious, but Missy looks a good 3/4 years older than Sheldon now. I know it's normal for girls to hit growth spurts before boys, but the visual is kind of jarring. 

I'm okay if we've seen the last of Tam. I'm not sure what more he could add to the show now that Sheldon's storyline has shifted to college. I'd rather see Paige come back. I think she's a great foil for Sheldon, especially since he's so used to being the only kid genius in the room. 

• Love 12

Glad this show is back.  Missy is still awesome.  Sheldon dedicating his speech to her was sweet. 

I also thought he named his baby after his roommate, but it made more sense that it was after his hero, Spock.

I, also, thought Dale's transformation was due to some illness.  Hope not.  I don't mind sweet or poignant moments in my sitcoms, but keep the depressing stuff in dramas.  

Actually, I found all the Dale scenes to be boring. The Georgie scenes seemed forced.

But,still, glad it's back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm okay if we've seen the last of Tam. I'm not sure what more he could add to the show now that Sheldon's storyline has shifted to college. I'd rather see Paige come back. I think she's a great foil for Sheldon, especially since he's so used to being the only kid genius in the room.

I loved Paige and would it would be wonderful to see her come back this season. I agree that she's a great match for Sheldon. I also enjoy that Paige can talk super smart science genuis stuff with Sheldon, but also have more "normal/typical" kid conversations with Missy. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I cried when Missy and Sheldon were talking in their room and I cried at Sheldon’s speech.  I did NOT see that coming.

The one thing that is consistent with Sheldon is his ability to be such a genuine, caring person sometimes, then a complete jerk at other times.  😉 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Why weren't any of Missy's friends at the party?

Maybe it was just for family. One of my Missy's friends may have held a party, so Missy didn't feel the need to hold one as well, because she was already given the opportunity to celebrate with friends. 

Loved the emphasis on the Sheldon-Missy relationship this episode. Sure, they mostly ignore or insult each other, but they still have that twin bond. Seeing his relationship with Missy when he's young helps explain his relationship with Penny when he's older - they offer him an emotional intelligence he often lacks or doesn't know how to access. 

I would have liked it if Georgie had insisted Dale keep the money - after all, he may not have taken it, but he was looking after the store when it was stolen. Of course he took the wrong lesson from the moment and blabbed to Dale about him and Connie egging the store!

Dale is dull, his storylines are dull and I don't care if he's dying or drying out. He just doesn't interest me. Bring back Wally Shawn! 

But this is all nitpicking. Very glad this sweet, funny show is back.

• Love 8

Yeah, dry drunk Dale isn't any fun. Sell the store, buy an RV, and visit America's National Parks, Dale. 

This is a big shift for the show. Sheldon's going to have a new universe, and I feel like Mary: I hope he makes friends and people like him. He's just a little boy.

• Love 3