saber5055
  • Start Topic

28 SEPT    UK*            1/1
29 SEPT    Lake Superior    1/2
30 SEPT    Teddy Roosevelt    2/3
01 OCT    a saga        3/4
02 OCT    LT of Pisa        4/5

4/5 with 1*
The wording of Tuesday's clue really messed with me. Spent most of the thirty seconds trying to parse it. Not that I knew the correct answer anyway, and sadly I've never heard that song that mentions Gitchee Gumee.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

i am a little confused about counting of asterisks.  For example, I got Tuesday through Friday correct but for Monday I had answered Great Britain.  How do I report that? 

You get an asterisk when you get FJ but none of the contestants gets it.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

i am a little confused about counting of asterisks.  For example, I got Tuesday through Friday correct but for Monday I had answered Great Britain.  How do I report that? 

That would be 4/5, one asterisk, for the correct Tuesday fj which was a TS for the contestants.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Yes to the replies to this. I've recorded you as 4/5 with one * for your correct answer to Tuesday's TS/FJ. Excellent week for you!

1/5.  I didn't even make it to Europe on Friday since DC was on my mind, and I know it was built on a marshland that was drained for the city.  I was trying to decide between the White House (which I've just been reading about how awful the design is, and how it's especially bad for social distancing), and the Capital (trying to remember when they were built, and not liking the date for either, but...)  Pisa, whose tower I have been to also, was thousands of miles from my mind.

• Love 2

1/5, no *

The worst part is that I answered quickly all the FJs with total confidence that I was right and then tanked on all but Friday's. But I was so close to being right (eg GB for UK, Superior for Gitche Gumee). As my mother Good Queen Marie used to say, right church, wrong pew!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

In case anyone isn't sure how to pronounce asterisk:  Say "I only regret that I have but one * for my country."  If it doesn't make sense, you're saying it incorrectly.

• LOL 7

Everyone has reported in, and everyone had a most excellent week. Some patterns are starting to emerge, which makes me happy. But one player stood out this week for continuing to improve each week, recording a higher score each week since Week One. And that player is .... (drum roll!) ... @zoey1996. Congratulations Zoey1996! Be kind to the rest of us as you celebrate your crowning achievement.

• Love 6
On 10/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, saber5055 said:

Everyone has reported in, and everyone had a most excellent week. Some patterns are starting to emerge, which makes me happy. But one player stood out this week for continuing to improve each week, recording a higher score each week since Week One. And that player is .... (drum roll!) ... @zoey1996. Congratulations Zoey1996! Be kind to the rest of us as you celebrate your crowning achievement.

I just read this - thank you!  I'll try to stay humble and kind!  Not a country music gal, but there are a few I like.  Here's Tim McGraw:  

• Love 4

4/5 with 1 *.  I think.  My station skipped two days so I'm glad for the Jeopardyfan site.  

Thursday I rejected a few islands and thought it might be Hispaniola because the languages and population sounded right, but 600 miles from the US seemed too far.  If I had been a contestant I might have written it anyway, to have something, but I'm not sure I would, so I'm willing to say I had it wrong.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

YTD: 10/20, two *

@zoey1996, I have you down for 11/20 ... 1-3-4-3. I went back through the weeks and those totals are as posted, so that's what I'm recording.

@theartandsound, I added an asterisk to your total this week. Some don't play the asterisk, but I see you have been. Congrats on your perfect week!

I said Haiti for Thursday's FJ. I remember Papa Doc Duvalier, so figured the languages there were French, Spanish and English. I had no idea Haiti shared its island with another country, and the island itself was still another name. It was a good geography lesson.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

WEEK 4 • Oct. 5, 2020 — ONE asterisk *
16. Famous Americans. Will Smith & Lennox Lewis were pallbearers at this man’s 2016 funeral.
17. Geography Fun. It’s the largest country in area that begins & ends with the same letter.
*18. Who Said It In The Bible? He tells his son not to worry about the lamb for the burnt offering—God will provide it.  *
19. The Americas. Home to more than 20 million people & 3 different official languages, this island is about 600 miles from the continental U.S.
20. Books of the 1950s. A special edition of this 1953 novel came with an asbestos binding.

3/5for me.  I didn't remember Abraham although I was like "Duh" and strted singing as soon as the answer was revealed and For some reason I was looking for an island that was a whole country an I litlerally said out lloud, "I think Haiti is about 600 miles away but it shares Hispaniola with Dominican Republic...."  And then the first person said Hispanola and I was like, ooopsies...  Yeah, HIspanola!    It didn't say country!

• Love 2

4/5 with one *.  The only one I couldn't think of was Muhammad Ali, though in retrospect i should have. I had to catch up all in a batch from the week and I think sometimes I get better watching multiple episodes in a row. 

• Love 2