Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Driad said:

Can anyone identify Keoni's white pendant? It looked (to my weak eyes) like a Maori fishhook-shaped pendant. Typically these are jade or bone.

I couldn't get a good look at it and I can't find a big enough image (there's a picture of the three contestants but if I enlarge it it gets too blurry).

But I did find this; his father is from the Philippines and his mother is Hawaiian. Maybe it's something from one of those cultures?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Driad said:

Can anyone identify Keoni's white pendant? It looked (to my weak eyes) like a Maori fishhook-shaped pendant.

I only caught a brief glimpse but I believe you are correct, either Maori or a Hawaiian fish hook, which brings good luck and safe journey plus has deeper more spiritual meanings. But both are important to the peoples of the Polynesian islands. Keoni is Filipino and Hawaiian and grew up on Kumeyaay tribal land near San Diego.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got France and Spain but not Greece  😞  

Greece came to mind first (thanks to watching a documentary just before Jeopardy that had some scenes in Greece). I  also don't think of Greece as being in Europe, but I know they're in the EU, so I figured it worked. Getting to France and Spain took an embarrassingly long time, but I got it just in time.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Mackinac, Virginia (I'd have to move if I hadn't gotten that one), pep and peep, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, 6 Degrees of Separation, white-winged dove, coral, and tunic.

I was trying to add another "e" to "peep" - so I didn't get it. 😆 But I did reasonably well (for me) on the others.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

Finally... we are watching current shows so I can join the conversation here. I've seriously missed all y'all!

At the beginning, I had a bit of difficulty understanding Keoni... and then quickly adapted to his speech.

By the end of the game, and no offence whatsoever to the current champ, I was hoping Keoni would win - especially after he got that last DD! Kudos, Keoni.

I thought FJ was too easy - but I'm a bit of a geography nut, esp the countries of the world. Jacko, anyone? LOL

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

At the beginning, I had a bit of difficulty understanding Keoni... and then quickly adapted to his speech.

Same here.

Alex was very impressed with his answer of Anishinaabe.  So was I.  I just said Chippewa.

Not too good a game for me.  I did get Mackinac, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (a very surprising ts), coral and cherry.

Did not get FJ.  My mind was a total blank and I couldn't come up with anything.  I hate when that happens.

• Love 3

I finally got that out of my head and now it'll be there for weeks again!

Well, it is November...pretty soon we'll see the annual memorial service in the "maritime sailors' cathedral" featured on the news here. 

I freaking can't believe it. No Jeopardy here yesterday again because election (channel 4 Detroit, you SUCK) and they literally have my Cliff Clavin category, Auto. I would have run it 

Animated TV and no Bob's Burgers clue? Tsk. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Greece came to mind first (thanks to watching a documentary just before Jeopardy that had some scenes in Greece). I  also don't think of Greece as being in Europe, but I know they're in the EU, so I figured it worked. Getting to France and Spain took an embarrassingly long time, but I got it just in time.

I was trying to add another "e" to "peep" - so I didn't get it. 😆 But I did reasonably well (for me) on the others.

Just curious... where do you think it is? My snag is always Russia because I think it should be Asia, not Europe.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I wish they'd declare a winner in this election so I can see jeopardy again. 

Four years of trump is bad enough but now it's cancelling jeopardy and wheel......IT HAS TO STOP!!

It's cancelled here, too. WTH. I've been putting off doing all kinds of things today so I wouldn't miss Jeoopardy. And now I'm missing Jeopardy. What's wrong with scrolling on the bottom of a screen, why do these pundits have to keep yammering on about the same thing over and over for three freaking days straight.

• Love 5

Had to use the Archive for the 10 minutes that were taken up with election coverage but they showed the rest of it.

Ran the Children's Lit category and only missed one in Anatomical Idioms. I pre-guessed The Artist in B&W Movies.

TSs were: Lapp, Apache (if that by itself would be acceptable), and Lighthouse (which I guessed from the info in the clue as I'd never heard of it)

Did NOT get FJ. Doing so bad on those.

How did the new champ get away with NOT saying Mary Kate Olsen for a category called 3-Named Mary's?

• Love 5

I got FJ, but to be fair I didn't think I was right. Stlll counts though, because it was my answer.

I got the TS of Beatrix potter, egalitarian and egregious.   

I got the entire category of idioms right s well as the partial category of historical facts.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of Beatrix potter

Oops, it was a missed DD, read that wrong, sorry. I did answer this one correctly too.

Beatrix Potter was not a TS, it was a DD that was answered correctly  incorrectly.

Edited by dgpolo
mistake, oops.
On 11/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, Quickbeam said:

Watching today’s.....tuned in late. Did they explain Keoni’s speech impediment? Just curious, I can barely understand him.

They didn't. I couldn't understand him very well either, at first. It got easier. I give him a ton of credit for pushing through. He was an excellent player and I really was rooting for him to win at the end.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I wish they'd declare a winner in this election so I can see jeopardy again. 

Four years of trump is bad enough but now it's cancelling jeopardy and wheel......IT HAS TO STOP!!

OT but Wheel..... Their All-California-All-The-Time contestants (many, not all) so far this season are driving me crazy. Some of them are really awful. I've sworn off it for a while since last week's REALLY awful...

___ IS__C NEWT_N

Contestant: "Tom Isaac Newton".

• LOL 6

Did not get FJ tonight.  I said compadres.  Oh well.  My excuse is that I was making hand turkeys.  It was very soothing, just drawing and cutting out various shapes.  Except the feet.  Those were hard!

Anyway, I did get Beatrix Potter, Troubadour, egalitarian, Apache, The Lighthouse, and Lapp.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Beatrix Potter was not a TS, it was a DD that was answered correctly.

I just call them all TSs.  It's more efficient, if not accurate.

8 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

OT but Wheel..... Their All-California-All-The-Time contestants (many, not all) so far this season are driving me crazy. Some of them are really awful. I've sworn off it for a while since last week's REALLY awful...

___ IS__C NEWT_N

Contestant: "Tom Isaac Newton".

What was it?  Sir Isaac Newton?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yes. Today's bonus round guess Yummy Orange  (It was Yummy Brownie - they gave her the R, N & E in brownie and she says Orange.)

I didn't like ANY of today's contestants. I wasn't paying complete attention - I was looking at the "razor thin" election returns for Georgia. But I did stop & pay attention to FJ, which I did get. I would even have spelled it correctly. When champ just stood there, not listening to me yelling BEATRIX POTTER, I gave up on rooting for anybody to win.

• LOL 2

Like a lot of us, my viewing has been all turned around this week. There was a technical problem so I missed Tuesday and am not sure when exactly it aired in this area. I watched Wednesday anyway, although going out of order drives me wild, because I’m trying to impress a dear friend’s new girlfriend by acting normal. Ugh, I hated it. 😉 Tuesday and Thursday were somehow in their DVR when we got home tonight. So, no issue.

I appreciated that not a big deal was made over Keoni’s speech. I prefer to watch with closed captioning anyway, because I have my own difficulties with auditory processing, but I didn’t have a really bad time understanding him without them. I bet he has to use a tool or two in life. So some of us got to use CC to meet him where he was. Fine!

I was also sorry to see Carmela go. I’m sure Devin is a great person who does good work with kids, is beloved by his family, etc. I just can’t get into the macho histrionics, pointing, flexing, faces, whatever. Chill out, dude. Where do you think you are, Buffalo Wild Wings? I guess you could say we weren’t vibing.

I haven’t been happy to “have to” travel under present circumstances, but I needed to go east for family. It’s been fun to play along with them and friends who don’t often watch the show. When FishFriend reasoned his way into “guerilla” tonight after thinking he had no idea, it was a thing of beauty. The Libya FJ was also fun since we had been discussing Qaddafi earlier.

Edited by 853fisher
Typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Very touching post game moment:

Burt

Thank you, JBoard, for that link.

Now I am very glad that I was rooting for Burt all along.  Devin was a bit full of himself and I know there was someone in the middle.

Not too many ts's for me, just egalitarian and Lapp,  plus the missed DD of Beatrix Potter.

Not an instaget FJ but I did get it pretty quickly. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Burt

Now I am very glad that I was rooting for Burt all along.  Devin was a bit full of himself and I know there was someone in the middle.

Not too many ts's for me, just egalitarian and Lapp,  plus the missed DD of Beatrix Potter.

I saw that moment with Burt and Alex on J!'s FB page and had a tear in my eye.

I commented at the beginning of the show that Burt would make a great ventriloquist - sometimes he talked and I couldn't see his mouth move... it was all moustache and beard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I can’t find the paper where I recorded my answers. I got a few TSs, the DD of Beatrix Potter and failed to get FJ. 
Between the interruptions for election reporting it been a bad week for me on Jeopardy. 

Loved the clip of Burt. Thank you for the link Trey. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Bliss said:

Just curious... where do you think it is? My snag is always Russia because I think it should be Asia, not Europe.

It's not so much that I think it is actually part of anything else, it's that my view of Greece was cemented as a child when we traveled through it to get to our new posting in Turkey. So I associate it with Turkey, even though when I have time to think, I know it is part of Europe.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Burt

Thank you for sharing the link. I didn't think I could like Burt any more than I already did, but surprise, surprise.

I did manage to get FJ after a bit of a think. Which is good, since I haven't had a stellar week with FJs.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

When I saw FJ, all I could think was, "There were Peninsular Wars?" So, obviously, not even a guess from me.

I ignored that part and just searched my brain for Spanish word for war (guerra). (Made slightly easier by the fact that I have a friend whose last name is French for the same (guerre, in French).)

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes.

Um... Saw what you wrote  (___ IS__C NEWT_N) and that can't be correct, since there is an S & an I in what you are showing, but there should be another S & I for Sir) That is, it should read  SI-    IS--C  NEWT-N. But then the contestant wouldn't have said "TOM ISAAC NEWTON". If you did write it correctly (---  IS--C  NEWT-N), then what is the first word? Assuming, of course, that they haven't changed the rules of the game since I saw it last. Or was this the "just guess a puzzle to be able to spin first/get $1000" puzzle (which doesn't follow the rules of the game)?

• LOL 1

Did rather well compared to the rest of my week.

Ran the category of Foxes (so weird the ones I run) and only missed one in Did You Know, Hand, and Verbs in SJ and missed one in U.S. History, They Did It and Young Man/Woman in DJ

TSs of Abbreviated, Liechtenstein and Four-in-Hand.

I got FJ, first thought was Little Red Riding Hood but was sure I would've been able to recognize the word for Red in either language, Thumbelina came to me and I figured that the word I wasn't recognizing could very well be 'thumb'. Yay!

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I got FJ, first thought was Little Red Riding Hood but was sure I would've been able to recognize the word for Red in either language, Thumbelina came to me and I figured that the word I wasn't recognizing could very well be 'thumb'. 

My thought process was exactly the same!  I did think about changing to Little Mermaid, but stuck with Thumbelina in the end.

I also got accompanied, four-in-hand, and abbreviated.  

Sorry to see Burt go.  I liked him.

• Love 2

I know just enough French to realize that they wanted a small female character. That gave me a choice of Tinker Bell or Thumbelina.  I don't think Peter Pan qualifies as a fairy tale, so ...

• Love 2

For FJ I knew they wanted a small person so I went with Tinkerbelle, but that's not a fairy tale. So I half-heartedly decided on Little Red Riding Hood since "little" is in her name. And maybe, just maybe, that fairy tale is called something different in Spanish since La Pequena Roja wasn't part of the clue.

After the answer was revealed, I realized I had heard of Thumbelina but did not know her story, I knew nothing about her. So I looked it up and now I do. But I'm not surprised it was an asterisk. She is a pretty obscure fable. At least in my world.

Maybe if I had learned more Spanish than asking the location of the library, what's your name and pass the butter, I could have figured it out.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

After the answer was revealed, I realized I had heard of Thumbelina but did not know her story, I knew nothing about her. So I looked it up and now I do. But I'm not surprised it was an asterisk. She is a pretty obscure fable. At least in my world.

But there was a whole song about her in the Danny Kaye movie, Hans Christian Anderson. The song has become an earworm (an answer I did not get today) all afternoon.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

But there was a whole song about her in the Danny Kaye movie, Hans Christian Anderson. The song has become an earworm (an answer I did not get today) all afternoon.

I loved Danny Kaye but I hold strong to my statement: "I had heard of Thumbelina but did not know her story, I knew nothing about her. So I looked it up and now I do. But I'm not surprised it was an asterisk. She is a pretty obscure fable. At least in my world."

If the next FJ is Westminster Best In Show Winners, that might be an obscure topic in your world while easy as pie in mine. That's sort of how this works. Don't hate me because I know -- or don't know -- everything or nothing.

ETA: I wasn't going to many movies in 1952 when Hans Christian Anderson hit the theaters. Couldn't drive yet.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2

I missed it tonight (I went out! For dinner!!) but I just went through the archive and didn't do too badly (I saw the FJ answer here first, but I know I would not have gotten it). Got all the one-word song titles and there were several categories I got all but one in.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Ran the category of Foxes (so weird the ones I run)

I got all but red fox because the picture link in the archive didn't work.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I got all but red fox because the picture link in the archive didn't work.

You would have gotten it, it was an easy ID. Well, for me anyway since I had a red fox in my north pasture a while back. Beautiful. But grey fox is more common around my house, I see them often.

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If the next FJ is Westminster Best In Show Winners, that might be an obscure topic in your world while easy as pie in mine. That's sort of how this works. Don't hate me because I know -- or don't know -- everything or nothing.

I'm sorry. I was trying to be funny. No disrespect was meant.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You would have gotten it, it was an easy ID. Well, for me anyway since I had a red fox in my north pasture a while back. Beautiful. But grey fox is more common around my house, I see them often.

Apparently red foxes are more common in NJ. I see them once in a while. I'm sure I would have gotten it had I been able to see the picture.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, illdoc said:

Um... Saw what you wrote  (___ IS__C NEWT_N) and that can't be correct, since there is an S & an I in what you are showing, but there should be another S & I for Sir) That is, it should read  SI-    IS--C  NEWT-N. But then the contestant wouldn't have said "TOM ISAAC NEWTON". If you did write it correctly (---  IS--C  NEWT-N), then what is the first word? Assuming, of course, that they haven't changed the rules of the game since I saw it last. Or was this the "just guess a puzzle to be able to spin first/get $1000" puzzle (which doesn't follow the rules of the game)?

Moving to small talk...

I got Thumbelina, but too late to write it down.

• Love 1

I started the game off well and got accompanied and abbreviated, then all heck broke loose in my house. So I missed the rest of the game, but did manage to steal a minute to watch FJ. Nope, I was in The Little Mermaid territory. That’s ok. Next week will be better. 

• Love 1

I am so bummed that Burt lost but it was a very good, competitive game.

I don't think there were too many ts's; the only one I got was Quebec.

Luckily I could picture Thumbelina sitting in a flower.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For FJ I knew they wanted a small person so I went with Tinkerbelle, but that's not a fairy tale. So I half-heartedly decided on Little Red Riding Hood since "little" is in her name. And maybe, just maybe, that fairy tale is called something different in Spanish since La Pequena Roja wasn't part of the clue.

Maybe if I had learned more Spanish than asking the location of the library, what's your name and pass the butter, I could have figured it out.

I should have been able to figure it out - but I was firmly set on Cinderella for some strange reason, and couldn't move from it even when I recognized the words for "little". I know I've read the Thumbelina story, which should have stuck with me (since I'm now, and always was, the shortest person in any room of people my age). But it didn't, so I didn't even come close.

I was sad to see Burt go. I liked him so much - I rarely have that favorable of an impression of any contestant right from the get-go.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2