Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I am so very sad to hear this news.  I had thought he was looking better but apparently he was not getting better. 

I guess we all knew it was going to happen but it is too soon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I am so very sad to hear this news.  I had thought he was looking better but apparently he was not getting better. 

I guess we all knew it was going to happen but it is too soon.

15 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

My mom and I just said we thought he was looking better.  A real professional until the end, he didn’t let us see his suffering. We will miss you, Mr. Trebek. 

We thought he was looking good too. Very sad in the Starling household. It will make the rest of his episodes that much more bittersweet.

• Love 4

He fought the hard fight till the end. I’ve been watching him lately on Classic Concentration on buzzr tv. He was hosting both Concentration and Jeopardy at the same time for a while until Concentration ended and then started his long run on Jeopardy. I also liked him on High Rollers & Gambit. He was one of he last great game show host. I think Bob Barker is the only still alive from that era of game show host. Now, it’s just a bunch of comedians who try to be all outrageous instead of just hosting. RIP.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

He fought the hard fight till the end. I’ve been watching him lately on Classic Concentration on buzzr tv. He was hosting both Concentration and Jeopardy at the same time for a while until Concentration ended and then started his long run on Jeopardy. I also liked him on High Rollers & Gambit. He was one of he last great game show host. I think Bob Barker is the only still alive from that era of game show host. Now, it’s just a bunch of comedians who try to be all outrageous instead of just hosting. RIP.

Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks are also still alive.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2020 at 6:06 AM, Trey said:

Very touching post game moment:

Burt

Thank you, JBoard, for that link.

i'm a little confused. yesterday evening i finally sat down (or rather, laid down on my bed) to watch the eps i recorded this week, which did not include wednesday's. that moment w/ burt was on the show though a little different. (unfortunately i've already deleted the ep.) in telling the story of sitting on his grandfather's knee, i thought he was choking back tears, but he didn't point it out as he did in the above clip. after he told his story, alex said something like he had memories of sitting on his grandfather's knee, but his grandfather was teaching him how to swear.

i'm guessing the show recorded two versions of this, but that seems odd.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

i'm a little confused. yesterday evening i finally sat down (or rather, laid down on my bed) to watch the eps i recorded this week, which did not include wednesday's. that moment w/ burt was on the show though a little different. (unfortunately i've already deleted the ep.) in telling the story of sitting on his grandfather's knee, i thought he was choking back tears, but he didn't point it out as he did in the above clip. after he told his story, alex said something like he had memories of sitting on his grandfather's knee, but his grandfather was teaching him how to swear.

i'm guessing the show recorded two versions of this, but that seems odd.

I think they had the after game moment on whatever day (can't remember what days were waht) and then Alex asked him about it during the interview portion the next day. Probably because he liked the story so much.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think they had the after game moment on whatever day (can't remember what days were waht) and then Alex asked him about it during the interview portion the next day. Probably because he liked the story so much.

That's what I assumed. I wish they had shown Alex's reaction to Burt's story that's shown on the clip.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Trey said:

That's what I assumed. I wish they had shown Alex's reaction to Burt's story that's shown on the clip.

Funny, I seem to remember seeing it (the clip) on Friday's episode.

18 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Funny, I seem to remember seeing it (the clip) on Friday's episode.

He did the clip I linked to at the end of Thursday's episode, the day he won.

Then during the interview segment on Friday's game Alex had him pretty much retell the story. 

• Love 2

I did not get FJ, though I should have.  Instead of the nine muses, I somehow got stuck on furies.  No idea if there are nine of those!

I did get Arctic Ocean and stingray, though.  And it does not hurt my feelings in the slightest that we have a new champ.  

Oh, but that opening, and the card at the end?  Slayed me.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, but that opening, and the card at the end?  Slayed me.

What was the end card? I missed it. (Nevermind. I just saw it in the tribute thread)

I saw the opening though and it made me cry and I couldn't concentrate at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 6

Shout out to Alex with the answer of the German philosopher Kant. (See my post in the Alex Memories thread.)

Shout out to The Final Jeopardy Contest with the answer of asterisk.

Shout out to Steve Irwin (RIP) with the photo of the stingray.

Shout out to Ken Jennings for saying the two most hilarious words I've never heard together before: "snot palaces."

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

What was the end card? I missed it.

I saw the opening though and it made me cry and I couldn't concentrate at the beginning of the game.

I missed it, too. Forgot momentarily and looked away. 

Saber posted this in the Remembering Alex thread earlier:

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is from Andy at TheJeopardyFan.com about today's episode:

The opening of this episode contained a very heartfelt tribute from Mike Richards to Alex. The end credits of this episode contained a title card of “Dedicated to Alex Trebek / Forever in our Hearts / Always our Inspiration”.

I wonder if they'll keep the dedication going forward.

• Love 5

I feel it’s a tribute to Alex to say that there were two President Bushes, so the contestant should have had to BMS.

The Jeopardy! Twitter just posted an official video as well:

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ, though I should have.  Instead of the nine muses, I somehow got stuck on furies.  No idea if there are nine of those!

I think there are 3 furies, but I don't know why I think that so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel it’s a tribute to Alex to say that there were two President Bushes, so the contestant should have had to BMS.

52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I noticed that as well, but I figured Bush v Gore was so iconic that it wouldn’t need a BMS. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Not sure how I messed that up, but I hope it’s still readable
  • Love 4

Well, that intro seemed to defrost my numb heart. It almost made me cry. It'll be really hard to watch the Christmas Day episode.

Stingray was a surprise TS for me. None of them had ever seen a photo of a stingray?

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got stuck on Sept for some reason which is a word but not a building. 

A sad opening.  December 25th will be tough. 

Still no word on his replacement or what happens in the new year for episodes

They probably feel it would be in poor taste to name his replacement in the same breath as announcing his passing.  I imagine that they'll announce what will happen at the beginning of December or so.

• Love 2

I missed the last two weeks of episodes in favor of sports or news, and now I regret missing ten of my last chances to see Alex hosting.  So tonight I took a break from football to watch.  I was making it through the opening tribute, until the producer solemnly said, "This is Jeopardy," and the set went dark.  Very well done.

I only missed two in the first round (F1 and Conan O'Brien), but I'm not entirely sure how I did in DJ; I was distracted by a phone call for quite a few clues.  Of those I heard, I got most of them, and FJ came to me quickly, so it was a great game for me.

• Love 2

the only ts i got was stingray. i wondered if none of the contestants got it because they got distracted by Ken's reference to a B-52's song.

I didn't get FJ. I first thought of titans... titans of industry... nah. then tried to think of other mythological stuff. olympians? olympic? then I gave up. 

• Love 2

I made the decision to watch the show today - right after seeing the Entertainment segment about Alex. So, that intro did me in. The blackout was my undoing.

Amidst my tears, throughout the entire show, I giggled once - at Ken J's mention of snot. (I wondered how he could know I was blowing my nose at that exact moment.)

Alex's voice had a touch of sadness when all 3 contestants missed the Arctic ... Alex's reference to Canadian geography did me in again.

I got FJ, but it was a total/lucky guess. Mr. Bliss thinks I'm brilliant again for another day.

Edited by Bliss
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

They probably feel it would be in poor taste to name his replacement in the same breath as announcing his passing.  I imagine that they'll announce what will happen at the beginning of December or so.

I agree that is probably why there has been no formal announcement

Surprised it has not leaked out somehow though in the press.  I've looked, just a bunch of speculation with nothing concrete

• Love 3
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

the only ts i got was stingray. i wondered if none of the contestants got it because they got distracted by Ken's reference to a B-52's song.

I didn't get FJ. I first thought of titans... titans of industry... nah. then tried to think of other mythological stuff. olympians? olympic? then I gave up. 

I hated those Ken Jennings clues and don't like a lot of those categories.  They talk so much and for so long many times I get confused about what the actual question is. 

But that one I think was pretty clear on the question.  Not sure why no one got it. 

8 hours ago, Bliss said:

Alex's voice had a touch of sadness when all 3 contestants missed the Arctic ... Alex's reference to Canadian geography did me in again.

The Canadian TS......he is always a bit sad and miffed by those

• Love 6
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get it because for some reason I thought "stingray" was generic for the species (like "bear") and was searching for a more specific name. Don't know much about them - other than one killed Steve Irwin (that was nearly as sad a day in our household as Sunday).

It seemed kind of surreal to me - the intro was moving, but while the show went on, I could forget Alex is gone.

• Love 6

It was a heartbreaking watch last night. Alex Trebek was a class act. 
I was able to pull a few TSs out of my hat, and was surprised there were so few of them. I knew La Scala. It was a DD, but I don’t think the contestant got it. I also was able to answer the others...Madagascar and Kant. I did know Stingray. Add to those of you surprised that nobody recognized it. I believe the clue also used the word Manta in it which made it a double giveaway to me. Like Monisha I guessed Pantheon for FJ. At least we got a positive comment from Alex saying something like it was a good try. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I knew  "a place sacred to a mythical group of 9" was the key but I had nothing.  My brain just shut down.

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to come up with what that was referring to. Finally my brain landed on "muses" and then I got it. (Though I gotta admit, even though it's right there in the word, I never associated "museum" with the muses until now. Duh.)

• Love 7

I’m normally bad at word origins so I’m proud I got museum. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

(Though I gotta admit, even though it's right there in the word, I never associated "museum" with the muses until now. Duh.)

I don’t think I made that connection either until yesterday. 

• Love 5

So what are the chances of Ken being named host?  To me, Alex can't be replaced. But the show will go on and I believe Ken would be best for carrying Alex's legend forward.....assuming he would take the job.   The show has only had two regular hosts.....the legendary Art Fleming....who was originally approached by Merv Griffin to host this version....and Alex, the only other man on planet earth who could replace him.  So identifying a new host is no small matter.  HUUUUGE shoes to fill.

• Love 4

Damn!! Didnt see it here!!!! The opening, I mean!! They showe the f-ing lottery drawing instead!!

Kimmmm, thanks for posting this (are you in Detroit?). I thought I was losing it when I saw all the reactions to the tribute. I was wondering why they didn't do anything in the beginning of the show, then I wondered  how the hell I missed it. 

Yet again, WDIV Detroit manages to reach new heights of sucking. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Swenson said:

So what are the chances of Ken being named host?

I've wondered if his new job on the show was meant as a test and/or placeholder until the time came. I can't imagine they didn't have some kind of plan in place. I wonder if Alex had a say in choosing his successor. 

(Though I have mixed feelings about Ken. I like him, but he doesn't really have a "game show host" persona.)

• Love 6