Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Loved the first round and cleared the categories of Lunch and Rom Com. I also got Korea (M.A.S.H. fan), Calliope and on one the TSs the answer was Categorization whereas I said Classification. Don’t know how I would have been ruled on that one. I missed FJ. I think I’m saturated with this political season and have tuned out. Not to worry. I voted 2 weeks ago. No lines and they gave me a pen. 

• Love 5

I did fairly well overall but no ts's including Miracle Worker, but I did smack my head for that one.

Red and blue came to me immediately. I started thinking about swing states but couldn't think of an opposite to swing state so stayed with red and blue.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

... on one the TSs the answer was Categorization whereas I said Classification. Don’t know how I would have been ruled on that one. 

i said classification too. i figured i was wrong, but now i see it's the same amt of letters as the accepted answer.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

See, I was kicking myself over this one. I once went to the Rothko Museum in Houston and have managed to come up with his name before in Art categories, but this time I didn't. I guessed Chagall.

Chagall is the one I thought of...in that I had an image in my mind but not the name.

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I said "red and blue" because I couldnt think of anything else that remotely made sense, but I had no idea the terminology was so new - I thought it had to be wrong.

I didn't think it was that recent either, it's so ingrained these days. But I did get it right. I've always been amused that the Republican party is associated with red - who made that decision? (no insult intended for those who are Republicans - I just thought it was odd).

As with the Rothko answer, I knew The Miracle Worker, in that I knew it was Helen Keller but could not retrieve the name of the play, despite having seen it many times.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Here’s a List of who is seeing Jeopardy today and who isn’t.  DC is a not at all (some places are showing it at another time). 

I'm thinking where I am they'll start playing Jeopardy and then they'll interrupt to give us an update.

• LOL 2

NYC says it's "shifting to WABC_DT2"...I don't actually know what that means.... Guess I'll see later. Normally I can get it on channel 7 out of NYC or channel 6 out of Philly; looks like Philly won't have it at all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't think it was that recent either, it's so ingrained these days. But I did get it right. I've always been amused that the Republican party is associated with red - who made that decision? (no insult intended for those who are Republicans - I just thought it was odd).

I don't think it was ever a conscious decision by anyone; it just happened to be the color that was chosen to represent states voting for Bush in the 2000 election, and since it took so long to decide that election, the association became permanent.

Like you, I've always been struck by the irony of red coming to indicate Republicans, since the color has historically been so closely associated with left-wing political movements--the Red Army, and so forth.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't think it was ever a conscious decision by anyone; it just happened to be the color that was chosen to represent states voting for Bush in the 2000 election, and since it took so long to decide that election, the association became permanent.

Like you, I've always been struck by the irony of red coming to indicate Republicans, since the color has historically been so closely associated with left-wing political movements--the Red Army, and so forth.

See also how things are in the UK. There the Conservative (Right) party is the blue and the Labour (Left) party is the red.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got FJ correct but didn't like the question much because they implied it was a new phrase or characterization at the time.  The red/blue dynamic was pretty commonly used by then, in 2004. 

I was confused by the 'slicing and dicing' I thought it must be some food metaphor that I'd never heard of.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

So are they actually airing an episode today?  I am in the Pacific time zone and election coverage starts at 4:00 pm.  My station is not showing Jeopardy! today.

Mine is airing right now, as usual.

15 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So are they actually airing an episode today?  I am in the Pacific time zone and election coverage starts at 4:00 pm.  My station is not showing Jeopardy! today.

Yes, there is a new episode for 11/3/20. I entered it into the archive about an hour and a half ago: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6858

• Love 1

My local affiliate has some random secondary channel where they're showing Jeopardy! at its usual time.  My main hope is that they don't interrupt the game with election news.  I've succeeded in avoiding all news today so far, and I hope to be able to do so the rest of the day.  I know, I can't avoid it forever, but the constant updating is very stressful.

• Love 4

Looks like my local station is just pushing everything back (forward?) a day, so there’s a new show on Saturday (Friday’s)   . I’ll just have to remember to not read this thread for a bit, or decide that spoilers aren’t that big of a deal. 

I could have sat here all night and not come up with FJ. 

But I did get quite a few TS, including hang loose, Cyrus McCormick, Congo, Doonesbury, fingerprint, turnkey, and tenderfoot.  Many years ago, I got a T-shirt in Hawaii that said "hang loose" on it, so that was an easy get for me, and Cyrus McCormick's farm is just a couple of hours up the road from me -- I pass it every time I go to the other end of the state.

Sorry to see Carmela go.  I liked her.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, theartandsound said:

See also how things are in the UK. There the Conservative (Right) party is the blue and the Labour (Left) party is the red.

In Canada as well - the Conservatives are blue and Liberals are red.

I was sad to see Carmela go - I really liked her.

I too initially said Zimbabwe for FJ, and then facepalmed at "Libya". Of course, 2011 was the year of the Jasmine Revolution and Arab Spring - my close coworker at the time was Tunisian, and I remember it well. I even knew that the Libyan flag used to be solid green!

It has been quite a day and I have had several glasses of wine this evening. I suppose we can chalk it up to that.

• Love 2

Another good game.  I'm glad Fernanda made it  to the FJ round.

My ts's or missed DDs were McCormick, Congo, tenderfoot, and Edward VIII.

I said Liberia for FJ which has some of the same letters as Libya🙂.  I should have remembered Gadafi getting killed.

• Love 3

I won't see Tuesday J! until tonight; Wednesday's on Thursday, etc.  So I'm not reading upthread until I've seen the one on Saturday and know I won't come across spoilers.  I'll miss you all!  Good games to all of you!  See you in a few days.

• Love 4

I first said Zimbabwe for FJ, then jumped to Idi Amin's Uganda. After he declared himself president of Uganda, he murdered hundreds of thousands of people. In my mind, that makes him a dictator, although sometimes I guess president/dictator can be the same thing. Semantics.

Obviously, I know nothing about flags.

Carmela had the greatest hair ever.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I first said Zimbabwe for FJ, then jumped to Idi Amin's Uganda. After he declared himself president of Uganda, he murdered hundreds of thousands of people. In my mind, that makes him a dictator, although sometimes I guess president/dictator can be the same thing. Semantics.

Obviously, I know nothing about flags.

Carmela had the greatest hair ever.

I thought of Idi Amin, too, but I couldn't think of the country he ran. (And I didn't think it was right, anyway.)

So... I missed the Add-an-E clue about pain because I hurt my back on Sunday and I sneezed as Alex was reading it which sent my back into a spasm and I just couldn't process the clue in time.

7 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Watching today’s.....tuned in late. Did they explain Keoni’s speech impediment? Just curious, I can barely understand him.

Nope.

• Love 1

Four correct in Animated TV, The Hole Truth and It's Gonna Be Close.

TSs of Coral, Tunic and Cat On a Hot Tin Roof

Finally, it seems like forever, but I finally got FJ, France and Spain right away and Greece in the nick of time. My 6-year old granddaughter came in while I was reciting all the European countries I could think of. She was not impressed but celebrated with me anyway when I told her I was right.

Edited by dgpolo
One of my sentences disappeared.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I got France and Spain pretty quickly and i think I got Greece in enough time to write it down.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it under pressure, though.

I got the TS of Mackinac and 6 Degrees of Separation.

I got the partial category of auto right.  

Not a great game for me.  I did spectacularly bad on anagrams, only getting one right.  And, since it was $200 clue I said Amelia Earhart,but I got distracted after that, because I thought Beryl Markham was the first woman to make a solo transatlantic flight.  Now I need to check that out.

ETA: looked it up, Amelia wins by 4 months.  Glad that wasn't further down on the board.  I'd have missed it.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

FJ: The clue did not specify that they wanted the English names of the countries. I got the three they wanted, but there may be countries whose names are one syllable in their own languages, e.g. Suisse or Schweiz.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Driad said:

FJ: The clue did not specify that they wanted the English names of the countries. I got the three they wanted, but there may be countries whose names are one syllable in their own languages, e.g. Suisse or Schweiz.

True, but we're playing in English. If they ask for a one-syllable, or 11 letter word, they mean in English unless they specify otherwise.

• Love 3

France and Spain were instagets, then I mentally went to Italy, nope.  Germany, nope.  Oh, Greece!  And I was able to write it down in time, but only just.  

I also got Mackinac, Virginia (I'd have to move if I hadn't gotten that one), pep and peep, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, 6 Degrees of Separation, white-winged dove, coral, and tunic.

I'm ready for a new champ.

• Love 3

I was having trouble understanding Keoni as well. I had a pretty good game until FJ. I got Mackinaw, Virginia (as a horse person I’d have been ashamed if I had missed that one), and 6 Degrees of Separation. I got France and Spain and then got stuck. If I had another minute I’d probably have come up with it, but don’t think of Greece as an European country. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

True, but we're playing in English. If they ask for a one-syllable, or 11 letter word, they mean in English unless they specify otherwise.

And, the last time they explicitly specified "English-language" when talking about UN country names, it confused a ton of people.

I overthought it and was trying to think of small countries (because for some reason small countries should have short names???) but eventually got to Greece. It took me a bit longer for France, and once I got to France, it was a quick jump to Spain (just in the nick of time).

For the Porsche clue, AT said 9-11 instead of 9-1-1? I have never heard emergency services referred to as 9-11 before.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

For the Porsche clue, AT said 9-11 instead of 9-1-1? I have never heard emergency services referred to as 9-11 before.

That threw me for a second but then I realized it was a play on the Porsche 911 model.

• Love 2

BIG shout out to Keoni, first for his answer of Anishinaabe for Chippewa, which blew me away (but didn't surprise me since he looks Native American which I, side note, find attractive), and second for his totally ballsy $7,000 gamble on that last DD. I was so disappointed he did not get all three FJ answers. He's at the top of my list of fav players. And I had no problem whatsoever understanding anything he said. You rock, Keoni. Wish you had won.

My TSs were Mackinac (side note, the owner of the Grand Hotel has show dogs), Cat On The Hot Tin Roof (Maggie and Brick! So hot!), Six Degrees of Separation, pheasant (under glass ... ha ha, we laugh about that when we have pheasant), vermillion, Virginia (when i was there I HAD to go to Chincoteague and Assateague) and one other that I don't remember. Not that it matters.

I was hoping @Browncoat got Virginia. Heh. I thought of you.

I couldn't come up with Greece either, and only stuck Wales in there because I could. Hey, if I'm going to be wrong, I might as well be obviously and grossly totally wrong.

Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

couldn't get out of Uganda.

I was right there with you pal.

6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

it was a play on the Porsche 911 model

So many ex boyfriends drove a 911.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

BIG shout out to Keoni, first for his answer of Anishinaabe for Chippewa, which blew me away (but didn't surprise me since he looks Native American which I, side note, find attractive), and second for his totally ballsy $7,000 gamble on that last DD. I was so disappointed he did not get all three FJ answers. He's at the top of my list of fav players. And I had no problem whatsoever understanding anything he said. You rock, Keoni. Wish you had won.

Anishinaabe was the only thing he said that I couldn't make out, but then I'm not familiar with it (didn't get Chippewa, either).

14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So many ex boyfriends drove a 911.

My aunt's ex-husband had one...it was destroyed in a Houston flood one year... (nothing against him; they were better friends divorced than they were married; also he was a super-smart guy who I keep hoping to see in a Jeopardy clue). 

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

didn't get Chippewa, either

Not even after this, from a few days ago?

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee" —TM Gordon Lightfoot

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3