Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I confidently said, TWA, for FJ.  
Here we go again.  How is Caucasus pronounced?  I didn’t notice the incorrect pronunciation, so that is probably what I would have said.

I wonder if Laura Ingalls would have been accepted.  As said, she used Wilder in her author name.  Side note, I’ve been to the house near Independence Kansas, before it had been preserved, as well as to the Rocky Ridge house where she, Almanzo, and Rose lived.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

But the clue didn't specify what they were screening for...

Yes, sorry, I was focused on ultrasound+breast cancer. It does seem that ultrasound fits the clue if you're talking about screening for pregnancy abnormalities, though the word "regular" may be a(nother) problem. Bottom line: It was not a good clue!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I find myself agreeing with Andy over at TheJeopardyFan.com: "I personally felt that the judges’ ruling that Greg changed the pronunciation of “Caucasus” too much (on GEOGRAPHIC GATEWAYS $2000) sets a dangerous precedent that could unfairly penalize contestants in the future who learn by simply reading."

I am often surprised when I hear a word I've read, spoken. They are often not the same. Sometimes not even close.

But that is not the case here. He said “Ca-cau-cus” with three hard C’s, like it rhymes with Secaucus. This is the exact same rule that has always been in play, there is no new precedent here. As soon as I heard his response I knew they were going to take away $4000.

No one who had only seen the word “Caucasus” in print would say it as Cacaucus.” He simply mis-remembered the name.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

But are ultrasounds used for routine screening? Not that I am aware of.

I've had ultrasounds to see if my swollen feet and ankles were caused by blood clots, and I've had an echocardigram, which is just an ultrasound of the heart to look for abnormalities. (FYI - no problems in either case!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Here we go again.  How is Caucasus pronounced?  I didn’t notice the incorrect pronunciation, so that is probably what I would have said.

caw-cuh-sus

To my recollection, dude said cuh-caw-sus and I was mystified that it was initially deemed correct. 

• Love 4

This is one of the times where I thought it was an obvious answer to those living in the current timeline and not a month or two ago! Tons of breast cancer survivors or their family members posted about the anniversary.

• Useful 1

It was a fun night for me, although every time I see Alex walk out I feel his loss knowing that we are on the countdown to his last show. I got finger bowls, pip, Hawthorn and FJ. Mammogram was my first guess. Then I began second guessing myself and almost changed it to Pap smear. The key word being almost. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

To my recollection, dude said cuh-caw-sus and I was mystified that it was initially deemed correct. 

No. He said cuh-caw-cus. If he had said cuh-caw-sus, with an S, he wouldn’t have been penalized. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

He said “Ca-cau-cus” with three hard C’s, like it rhymes with Secaucus. 

That's exactly how I would pronounce it: ka-kau-kus. I have no idea of how it's suppose to be said. Jalepeno is correctly pronounced hal-e-PEN-yo. How many gringos would say it that way seeing it in print for the first time. Or the zillionth time based on some the way some people speak. I wonder what Jeopardy judges would say about jally-pee-no as a spoken answer.

The FJ spelling of mamogram and Alex's comment that they don't take off for spelling reminded me of Berry/Barry Gordy. If anyone wants to pull that dead herring out of the pot.

• Love 3

That's exactly how I would pronounce it: ka-kau-kus. I have no idea of how it's suppose to be said.

I don't know how it's pronounced, but I say it Caw-cay-sus.

Jalepeno is correctly pronounced hal-e-PEN-yo. How many gringos would say it that way seeing it in print for the first time. Or the zillionth time based on some the way some people speak. I wonder what Jeopardy judges would say about jally-pee-no as a spoken answer.

I think they would take it, because you could conceivably pronounce it like that without moving or changing letters.  I have a feeling everybody would about fall over laughing, though.  

he FJ spelling of mamogram and Alex's comment that they don't take off for spelling reminded me of Berry/Barry Gordy. If anyone wants to pull that dead herring out of the pot.

No.  I think that herring needs to stay dead.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Today's chat segment felt really long...

Haven't been keeping score lately, but I got all of Double OO, Double EE (though I did say "spoon feed" at the same time Alex did). Don't think I ran any other categories (sadly disappointed myself with the novel category; I only got three). I did get FJ. 🐉

• Love 1

Almost instaget FJ for me today.  I paused at unicorn before rejecting it for dragon.  I'm glad the woman won -- mostly because her mom did.  Now we'll see if she can be a three-day champ like her mom.

TS I got include Chile, civet, cocoa butter, Alaska, thermal, and Grant Wood.  White "chocolate" is an abomination unto the land.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

They could have called the FJ category Vexillology.  [/BigBangTheory]

lol...and I just turned on Young Sheldon!

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

TS I got include Chile, civet, cocoa butter, Alaska, thermal, and Grant Wood.  White "chocolate" is an abomination unto the land.

Before answering the clue (which I got right), I said "white chocolate is not chocolate." (I got all those TSs except Chile and Alaska; I guess geography is not my strong suit tonight.)

Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

The contestant says, "Who is George Tak-eye?"  Alex says, "Ta-kee"

I guess neither of them know "George Ta-kay says it's OK to be Gay."

Ha! I was correcting them both in my head.

• Love 2

Theobromine might make chocolate "delicious," but it will poison your dog, if it doesn't kill it first.

I'm a fan of white "chocolate." I prefer it over the brown stuff by miles. Don't know if it will kill dogs, none ever goes anywhere other than in my mouth.

Brownie, civet cat, spoon feed, smokinggun.com and Grant Wood, all gotten-by-me TSs. I've been past the American Gothic house, have seen the painting IRL (Chicago), and some years ago friends who had a farm house matching the one in the painting dressed up as the AG couple for their holiday greeting cards. Mr. Wood lived a bit more than one hour away from me. My claim to fame. Some of his paintings are pretty decent.

Shout out to me being one of George Takai's Twitter followers. I'm sure he will respond to being a Jeopardy clue. Takai/gay indeed.

Nice to see a woman win a game. Finally.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The contestant says, "Who is George Tak-eye?"  Alex says, "Ta-kee"

I guess neither of them know "George Ta-kay says it's OK to be Gay."

I was thinking that's not how you say it but they gave it to them anyway, which surprised me. 

• Love 1

The brownies TS surprised even my cat.  Spoon feed was the other TS I never would have predicted would go unanswered.

A "temperate" affair made me laugh; pay attention to the category, folks.

I almost ran the first round, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by civet.  ("Polecat has a lot more than five letters" - Oh, Alex, I am going to miss your snarky self.)  And then I missed about half a dozen in DJ and didn't know FJ.  So it was all downhill, but still a good game.

• Love 3

I got chile, brownie, civet, Alaska, and grant wood. Instead of Remains of the Day, I said Howard's End, and immediately knew I had it confused with the other one which was.... Time's up. I had lots of brain farts tonight. 

I said dragons for fj, then was second-guessing myself, wondering if it was unicorns. I stuck with dragons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's exactly how I would pronounce it: ka-kau-kus

I don’t understand why you would pronounce the third syllable with a K sound. Is there any word in the English language where an S is pronounced as a K? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t understand why you would pronounce the third syllable with a K sound. Is there any word in the English language where an S is pronounced as a K? 

I agree. I've always associated the word with Iowa elections - y'know, the caucuses.

• Love 3

Jeopardy into our living rooms I will miss Greg as he was such a happy guy, but I’m happy for Kate that she won after hearing the story of her Mom being on. I was able to get Chile, brownies, cocoa butter, the DD of NASDAC, Alaska, and Grant Wood. 

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

FJ was an instaget as I confidently said griffin. 🤣

Same here. I thought dragon was too easy so I also went with Griffin. Then my mind wandered off to Merv Griffin who brought Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy into our homes. I thought it was kind of a tribute clue until I was wrong. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

A "temperate" affair made me laugh; pay attention to the category, folks.

I don't know that that was so much of a category thing. Temperate could be considered a "warm" word.  But, there's no point of having a temperate affair.  If you're going to cheat, don't make it tepid, or temprate, or slightly warm.  Make it torrid.

• LOL 8
On 11/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, secnarf said:

But are ultrasounds used for routine screening? Not that I am aware of.

It was "routine" screening that got it for me. To me, that implies a regular check-up, and past a certain age, women get mammograms regularly as part of their annual checkups.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:04 PM, dcalley said:

I agree that ultrasounds are diagnostic for breast cancer, but I am not a medical pro, nor do I play one on TV. If you get a screening mammogram that's basically, "Reply hazy, try again" (because you have dense breasts, for example), they may send you to get a diagnostic ultrasound.

The two times I had "try again" - both instances were followed up by additional (shots? pictures?). One was, indeed, followed up by a diagnostic ultrasound. Thankfully, all fine.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree. I've always associated the word with Iowa elections - y'know, the caucuses.

Me too. Maybe not Iowa, but caucuses in general.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Same here. I thought dragon was too easy so I also went with Griffin. Then my mind wandered off to Merv Griffin who brought Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy into our homes. I thought it was kind of a tribute clue until I was wrong. 

Exactly. I don't even remember what I came up with - I just thought dragon was too obvious.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

i think he just hadn't heard the word out loud before, and didn't really sound it out when he first read it. maybe when he said it on the show, it was a kind of stutter or not remembering the exact spelling. maybe he was remembering three C's in it.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

i may have to say the iowa cawcawkisses from now on.

i learned about the civet from the reading about civet poop coffee.

Edited by peeayebee
civet info
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Theobromine might make chocolate "delicious," but it will poison your dog, if it doesn't kill it first.

I'm a fan of white "chocolate." I prefer it over the brown stuff by miles. Don't know if it will kill dogs, none ever goes anywhere other than in my mouth.

Brownie, civet cat, spoon feed, smokinggun.com and Grant Wood, all gotten-by-me TSs. I've been past the American Gothic house, have seen the painting IRL (Chicago), and some years ago friends who had a farm house matching the one in the painting dressed up as the AG couple for their holiday greeting cards. Mr. Wood lived a bit more than one hour away from me. My claim to fame. Some of his paintings are pretty decent.

Shout out to me being one of George Takai's Twitter followers. I'm sure he will respond to being a Jeopardy clue. Takai/gay indeed.

Nice to see a woman win a game. Finally.

There is only traces of theobromine in white chocolate, so your dogs should be safe.  White chocolate is really just sugar and vanilla and some fats from the cocoa plant as they pointed out.  Some don't even use the cocoa butter to make cheaper versions.

The theobromine risk for dogs depends on size and concentration of the product.  Most American chocolate products are low in cocao and theobromine anyway and are more sugar and milk products. But certainly not recommended. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

There are a lot of things people don't understand about me. That's just one of them.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I just thought dragon was too obvious.

Which is how I came up with the correct answer. "Thanks, Mr. Obvious." My first correct FJ this week. Yeay me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There are a lot of things people don't understand about me. That's just one of them.

OK. You can choose to mispronounce whatever words you like, I would guess there aren't any other people in the world who would purposely pronounce an S like a K, without it being a flub, but it's the equivalent of Jeopardy negging a player for saying "passgetti" for "spaghetti."

Edited by Cotypubby

I got the flag question, but when anyone mentions Wales & Symbol, I immediately go to LEEK!!  Which, of course, Bhutan wouldn't have and besides, it's not a mythological beast.  Then my mind goes wandering - The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes followed by The Killer Leek Massacre...  I've been in lockdown too long.

• LOL 9

Instaget FJ.  I think I knew Wales had a dragon because of Arthurian legends.

My ts's were brownies, civet, Alaska and thermal.

Lately I am finding that the contestants, with a few exceptions, are all running into one. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I'm really happy that Kate was able to be on the show with Alex hosting, just like her mom back in 1987 — and win too! It's a nice thing to have in spite of Alex's death.

Her mom is novelist Meg Gardiner. (I have not read her stuff, but I have heard of her.)

• Love 12
On 11/12/2020 at 12:22 AM, j5cochran said:

I've had ultrasounds to see if my swollen feet and ankles were caused by blood clots, and I've had an echocardigram, which is just an ultrasound of the heart to look for abnormalities. (FYI - no problems in either case!)

That isn't routine screening though - you went in with a specific problem and they did an ultrasound to look for a cause.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, dcalley said:

I agree that ultrasounds are diagnostic for breast cancer, but I am not a medical pro, nor do I play one on TV. If you get a screening mammogram that's basically, "Reply hazy, try again" (because you have dense breasts, for example), they may send you to get a diagnostic ultrasound.

It isn't the ultrasound that diagnoses it - it can see what might be cancer in certain situations where mammograms can't (or can confirm that something on a mammogram is still suspicious), but the diagnostic test for breast cancer is a biopsy. In either case though, not routine screening - even in a case like my mom, who has dense breasts and a history of breast cancer so she automatically gets an ultrasound each year now. That only started once she had the diagnosis (and therefore preexisting condition) of breast cancer.

I think of ultrasounds during pregnancy as monitoring a known condition, but I can see how it might be considered screening as well.

It was the "routine screening" phrase that really got me in this clue. I did get the correct answer because it led me to think of major screening programs, but I think the ambiguity of the phrase is not ideal for a FJ question.

• Love 2

My wild guess for FJ tonight, which was the first thing that popped into my head, turned out to be right!  Good for me.

However, I got exactly zero TS.  Boo, hiss.  

I kept wanting Mary to pick up the pace when selecting a clue.

• Love 5

Yay, I redeemed myself on the novels tonight! 🙂

4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I kept wanting Mary to pick up the pace when selecting a clue.

OMG yes please. I was so afraid they were going to run out of time when they kept going away from the novels. That was the one category I wanted to test myself on.

Did not get FJ. Might have helped if I could have remembered when Arthur was president.

• Love 4

Finally, a FJ category in my wheel house! As soon as I saw the clue, the image of that Washington D.C. obelisk appeared in my brain, in full color, sun shining on it, blue sky, clouds ... it was a great mental image. Then I thought wait, 100 years ... and went with Mt. Rushmore instead.

Oh Fame and Glory, thou art so fleeting.

Pretty much didn't see the rest of the show having just gotten home from my monthly trip to town. It was on while I was putting away groceries and letting dogs in and out, but it's hard to pay attention to background noise.

I was sorry to see Kate not win, but being a Jeopardy Champ is something she and her mother can both now claim with pride.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I got FJ right.

I go tthe TS of triangle, James patterson and Howard's End.

I got the entire category of sitcoms, and I didn't see the final clue of novels, but I got the rest of them.

So-so night.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Finally, a FJ category in my wheel house! As soon as I saw the clue, the image of that Washington D.C. obelisk appeared in my brain, in full color, sun shining on it, blue sky, clouds ... it was a great mental image. Then I thought wait, 100 years ... and went with Mt. Rushmore instead.

Oh Fame and Glory, thou art so fleeting.

I can't claim that FJ was even remotely in my wheelhouse, but I did the opposite - first thought was Rushmore, then Washington monument. I did then briefly consider the Lincoln memorial, before changing back to the Washington monument - I haven't the foggiest idea when Chester Arthur was president, but based on the 100 years I thought Washington was more likely than Lincoln.

Anyways, I am glad someone else also thought of Rushmore - I wasn't sure how far off I was.

• Love 3

The James Patterson TS surprised me a bit; I've never read a word of his novels, but his damn commercials for them are everywhere, so I've picked things up via cultural osmosis.

Cultural osmosis also let me get all the sitcom episodes clues despite not watching any of the shows.  I also ran the anagrams category in that round, but that was hard sometimes with the text not staying on screen very long!  In fact, I almost ran the first round, but I could not pull Hannibal out of my brain.

I came really close to my perfect game goal, only missing three more in DJ (I didn't know The Goldfinch or bishopric, and couldn't remember John Mitchell's name in time), and correctly guessing FJ.

• Love 2

the goldfinch keeps coming up, so i guess i need to bone up on some basics about it.

i got john Mitchell, patterson, and howard's end, my wrong answer from yesterday!

i got fj, but i wasn't 100% sure. at least i was sure it wasn't the vietnam war memorial.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The James Patterson TS surprised me a bit; I've never read a word of his novels, but his damn commercials for them are everywhere

I think it was a TS because they were all like me, thinking "dammit, that guy who does his own commercials, what's his name ARG".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The James Patterson TS surprised me a bit; I've never read a word of his novels, but his damn commercials for them are everywhere, so I've picked things up via cultural osmosis.

I used to work in a bookstore; we had a perpetual wall of whatever the next JP book was in receiving waiting for the on-sale date so we could open the boxes (and make room for the next one!). I swear there was a new one every other week.