Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, opus said:

I’m awaiting the ruling, because it affects (effects? Never sure) my FJ score. I said Red Menace.

Affects.  And add me to the list of those who said red menace, so I'm awaiting the ruling as well.

I probably wouldn't have noticed Alex's orange tie if he hadn't called attention to it.

TS that I got include hep, Buddhism, Discovery, dram & drum, and diamonds.  I also said cavern and tavern, but am okay with cafe and cave. I don't count signature required as a TS because technically one of them got it, but just screwed up the phrasing.

• Love 4

I said "red scare."  FishDad also said "red menace," after he started with "cold war" and it was suggested to him that is not a COLORful term.  Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.  Reading the question again, the way the phrasing referred to the book would seem perhaps to pin it to "scare."

Something about Carmela's affect is very soothing.  She's pretty unflappable and doesn't waste time but doesn't speak too quickly either.  I did think she was lucky not to be niggled out of some points when she didn't seem to give the full sequels' names.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed "Freddie" for "Freddy" in FJ yesterday.  Maybe where I'm from, we pronounce them differently.  Oh no, the nightmares are back! 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The clue read

A 1954 book review said of this colorful 2-word term, also applied to the post-WWI era, "the underlying hysteria lives on"

The book they were referring to is titled: Red Scare: A Study in National Hysteria, 1919–1920 by Robert K. Murray, so they were looking Red Scare.

Courtesy of The Jeopardy! Fan.

A few weeks ago it was pointed out to me, when I was confused about a FJ clue, that they are usually looking for whatever follows the 'this', so my understanding of this clue is they wanted a colorful 2-word term that both applied to the review of that book as well as the post WWI era. Not the book specifically. I did a search on the book and found it on google books where I was able to put in the term 'red menace' and got a hit, so they at least mentioned that form of the term in the same book.

link

I think red menace would be acceptable as an answer.

Edited by dgpolo
ETA: link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I did get FJ last night. Pre-guessed it. 

I knew a few tonight. Hep cat, Buddhism, Big Ben, Diamond, Dram & Drum and Signature required. For FJ I said Red Scare so I guess that would be ruled wrong. In Scotland we’d say we wanted a dram of whisky, but expected 3 fingers in the glass not the Jeopardy version of the correct amount 😂

Edited by Mindthinkr
Autocorrect misspelled whiskey. In Scotland there is no e.
  • Love 3

I got a laugh out of "hep" being a TS (that I got) since I use that all the time. In fact, yesterday I almost posted here that I was "hep to the scene," then changed my mind because I figured no one would get it. But razzle dazzle baby, I am a real hep cat!

I also got Buddhism, dram/drum and diamonds. AND, big drum roll, I also got FJ, making it three FJs in a row for this week. I really AM hep to the scene, baby!

4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Anyone else think the guy at the end looked like a (younger) Steve Carell? 

Never looked at him because I was busy crushing on the guy in the center. Hottie.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Anyone else think the guy at the end looked like a (younger) Steve Carell? 

I thought he looked a bit like David Tennant. 

OK, Alex has now unfairly given money to Carmela on THREE movie sequels she gave the incorrect answer for, and this time it had a huge effect on the game as it led directly to her getting the Daily Double clue. It’s really beginning to piss me off. Yesterday was the “Jumanji” issue, and she did it again TWICE today!! First she says, “Who are the Incredibles?” when the answer they are looking for is the title of the sequel, which is “The Incredibles 2.” But more egregious is the very next clue when she says “Who is the Terminator?” when the answer asked for (“this 1991 sequel”) is “Terminator 2: Judgement Day.” “The Terminator” was a different movie and is therefore WRONG!! In neither of those clues did she give the correct answer! And this was in Double Jeopardy when they are more strict (as with penalizing for not using the correct phrasing.)

I absolutely think the other two contestants should be brought back at a later date because the very next clue she chose was the DD where she gained $5000. That should never have happened. 
😡😡

• Love 4

With regards to Terminator 2...at least the clue answered a question for me. We have access to several "over the air" Spanish channels which show movies (some old, some relatively recent (maybe 5 years old) dubbed in Spanish. And I wondered "if they show T2, would he still say "Hasta la vista, baby (nino)"?" Answer: Apparently no.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was wondering how you did in that German-language category the other day. It made me think of you.

Shamefully, I missed Apfel Strudel. Maybe it's because I only ever thought of it as a yummy dessert, and none I've had ever looked like a whirlpool (though now that I think on it, and watched the British Baking show, I get the reference.)

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I thought he looked a bit like David Tennant. 

OK, Alex has now unfairly given money to Carmela on THREE movie sequels she gave the incorrect answer for, and this time it had a huge effect on the game as it led directly to her getting the Daily Double clue. It’s really beginning to piss me off. Yesterday was the “Jumanji” issue, and she did it again TWICE today!! First she says, “Who are the Incredibles?” when the answer they are looking for is the title of the sequel, which is “The Incredibles 2.” But more egregious is the very next clue when she says “Who is the Terminator?” when the answer asked for (“this 1991 sequel”) is “Terminator 2: Judgement Day.” “The Terminator” was a different movie and is therefore WRONG!! In neither of those clues did she give the correct answer! And this was in Double Jeopardy when they are more strict (as with penalizing for not using the correct phrasing.)

I absolutely think the other two contestants should be brought back at a later date because the very next clue she chose was the DD where she gained $5000. That should never have happened. 
😡😡

I'd forgotten about Jumanji, which I objected to on our couch. I was tired and didn't notice the Incredibles and T2 (maybe because I, myself, wasn't that specific - shame on me). But yeah, they need to be more specific - though I'd probably fail at most of them if I had to say the full name.

• Love 1

I'm very proud of myself that I immediately knew Byron was the one born rich. Not just from his rather extravagant life, but I think only someone who has never worried about material survival could have written so much of his poetry.  And then none got it though they all guessed.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I'm very proud of myself that I immediately knew Byron was the one born rich.

Same here🙂 The "Lord" went along with that estate they showed.

I was pulling for the guy on the end to win but it was not to be.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of hep, Buddhism, dram/drum, diamonds, devil's Island and Byron.

For FJ, red was the obvious colour but the other word took a little thinking.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Trey said:
46 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I'm very proud of myself that I immediately knew Byron was the one born rich.

Same here🙂 The "Lord" went along with that estate they showed.

Yep, that place looked like a home for a Lord

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of hep, Buddhism, dram/drum, diamonds, devil's Island and Byron.

I was doing the same thing as the player, "The place where Papillon was ..."

That was a tough loss for Chris Shim, forgetting to say "What is ..." when he gave the correct answer of "signature required." Cost him the game. I wouldn't have minded seeing him again.

15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

For FJ I said Red Scare so I guess that would be ruled wrong.

Red Scare is correct and Red Menace is as well, at least for our contest. Fix your score if you need to.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I wasn't watching too awfully closely last night, but I was impressed with the contestant who came up with (and got credit for) an entirely different response in the one-letter-different category.  Cave and cafe vs. cavern and tavern, I think.  And wasn't it a DD?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I wasn't watching too awfully closely last night, but I was impressed with the contestant who came up with (and got credit for) an entirely different response in the one-letter-different category.  Cave and cafe vs. cavern and tavern, I think.  And wasn't it a DD?

My first thought was "cave" but I couldn't think of what the other word would be. The clue ("A place to throw back some drinks") made me think of alcohol so my mind did not go to café. But I was stuck on cave so I definitely wasn't going to get to what they were going for in time.

Yes, it was a DD.

• Useful 1
On 10/30/2020 at 12:33 PM, saber5055 said:

You didn't see Match Game last night by any chance?

Actually, no, I didn't. I just find it easy to notice patterns.  I had a boss tell me once that she understood it to be a curious but bored mind seeking challenges the work doesn't provide. LOL.  I'd never thought of it that way, but OK.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

For that one-letter category I said “clamp” and “cramp” for mechanical device and labor pain. (They wanted contraption and contraction.) I wonder if that would also have been correct. 

I thought the clue specified 11 letters, but I can't access J-Archive to confirm. My brain might just be tricking not treating me.

After the TS of Lord Byron I kept giving out Byron facts, because apparently I know a lot of really random things about Lord Byron (but there are a lot of really, really random things about Byron a person could know.  

Got Red Scare right away.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought the clue specified 11 letters, but I can't access J-Archive to confirm. My brain might just be tricking not treating me.

I can't access the Archive either, not on my laptop and not on my phone.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The clue was just "A mechanical device & a labor pain"; no letter count (there were two clues in another category that asked for 3 and 4 letters).

The archive has been down at least since this afternoon but it just worked for me now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

i'm finally caught up.

A 1954 book review said of this colorful 2-word term, also applied to the post-WWI era, "the underlying hysteria lives on"

who knows how the judges would have ruled, but i think only red scare should be accepted since the clue refers to a specific book review which is referring to a particular 2-word term, red scare.

but i didn't get it, so what do i know?

btw, i'm not using caps because i'm typing one-handed, having broken my arm last monday.

10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

btw, i'm not using caps because i'm typing one-handed, having broken my arm last monday.

Well, we don't really need caps anyhow.  Hope your arm heals quickly.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I hope your arm heals well!  Meanwhile, we can call you e.e. cummings, or perhaps archy from archy and mehitabel (Don Marquis).

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Ouch. So sorry to hear that.

So for now, you'll be the E.E. Cummings of the forum.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

thanks for all the well wishes. 🙂 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@peeayebee, what a terrible event. I am so sorry. I wish we could all sign your cast, for sure that would make you feel better.  😛 Feel free to type cap-less all you like.

no cast. just a sling. i broke my humerus, in 3 places, near the shoulder joint. wednesday i have surgery to have some screws put in. my first surgery ever!

Edited by peeayebee
wrong day
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

no cast. just a sling. i broke my humerus, in 3 places, near the shoulder joint. tomorrow i have surgery to have some screws put in. my first surgery ever!

Wow and yikes! You might enjoy the surgery though, as weird as that sounds. Don't hate me when I say "anesthesia!"

Let us know how it goes. Now you will set off airport metal detector alarms!

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

i corrected my previous post -- it's wednesday that i have surgery. i'm looking forward to sleeping via anesthesia.

It can be lovely. I had a procedure in the fall, and I was put under. I was totally ticked off when they were trying to wake me up - like "no, I finally am having a good sleep, I don't want to wake up."

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I got FJ.

I got the TS of philanthropy (just barely i was like, phil phil), The Miracle Worker, Amsterdam and Calliope.

I got the entire categories of lunch and greek gods and the partial categories of Princess Brides and Geography right.

I had a great night and I'm kind of wondering if the show is trying to lull me into a false sense of security.

I was shocked that the teacher missed The Miracle Worker!  How did she not get that?  I was distracted for a lot of the game, but that caught my attention!  I also got the surprising TS of Korea (China?  War in the 50s?  Gotta be Korea.  Also, thank you, MASH!), and the less-surprising TS of Nigel.  

FJ was an instaget for me.

I absolutely loved the category titles in the first round.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Somehow I got Mark Rothko. I have no idea where that lives in my brain but apparently it's in there.

See, I was kicking myself over this one. I once went to the Rothko Museum in Houston and have managed to come up with his name before in Art categories, but this time I didn't. I guessed Chagall.

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Somehow I got Mark Rothko. I have no idea where that lives in my brain but apparently it's in there.

Same.  It was very strange.

I got "Miracle Worker" because Helen Keller is on Alabama's quarter.

That's the most ridiculous reason I've ever had for plucking knowledge out of a corner of my brain.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was shocked that the teacher missed The Miracle Worker!  How did she not get that?

I thought the same thing. One of the most famous teacher/student relationships of all time! It's also funny that there was a teacher named Regan Read the night "Nominative Determinism" was a category!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I got FJ, another "red-themed" FJ and four in a row for me. But I digress. I had forgotten that it wasn't that long ago that I'd never heard of red or blue states, and when everyone was talking about some state being one or the other, I was all WTH does that even mean. Now that's all anyone talks about 24/7. (Make it stop! It was so much better before!)

I got Miracle Worker too, and am fine with the players not coming up with that answer. My poor brain needs all the crumbs it can get to make it feel just a wee bit smarter than before.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I said "red and blue" because I couldnt think of anything else that remotely made sense, but I had no idea the terminology was so new - I thought it had to be wrong.

I read something recently that claimed that only relatively recently did red and blue consistently represent the same parties on, say, electoral maps.  BuzzFeed?  A really sterling source.  I thought that was interesting and wanted to learn more.  I have really only been old enough to pay attention since about the time Obama gave the speech mentioned.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

mad men is where i learned a bit about him, though tonite all i could come up with was Roth.

23 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I said "red and blue" because I couldnt think of anything else that remotely made sense, but I had no idea the terminology was so new - I thought it had to be wrong.

same. i nearly didn't write it down because i was sure it was older or had been used a bunch before.

i did get the miracle worker, but my brain strained hard to pull it out. also got korea and nigel.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

mad men is where i learned a bit about him, though tonite all i could come up with was Roth.

Well, I've never seen Mad Men, so it ain't that. I didn't even know he was Russian American... 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 1
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

The first discussion of red/blue states happened in the '76 election, but until election night 2000 (when red and blue were set in stone as to party) red might equal Democrat, and blue might equal Republican, and vice versa: "...viewers switching between channels might see Reagan's landslide turning the landscape blue on NBC and CBS, but red on ABC."

https://www.npr.org/2014/11/13/363762677/the-color-of-politics-how-did-red-and-blue-states-come-to-be

Edited by film noire
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2