Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

All I got was bluebells. (Sounds like a song.)

My answer to FJ was "the police guy in Les Miserables."

LOL...yes, me too...I knew it was Inspector "somebody" from Les Miserables.  And knew Blue Bell ice cream 🙂

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

FJ: I suppose... "Ooh! That guy from Les Miz who was always chasing Jean Val Jean. What was his name???" is not an acceptable answer. 

My thoughts exactly!

Yesterday, if they’d used lightning instead of thunderbolt, I might have gotten it. 🙂

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I need ice cream.

How about some nice Blue Bell ice cream?

Les Misérables came into my brain for FJ, then went right out again when it was replaced with Captain Rochefort from The Three Musketeers. So much for my glorious FJ week that lasted one day.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

All I got was bluebells. (Sounds like a song.)

"Blue bells, cockleshells, Easy, ivy, over ..."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Fun game! I surprised myself on a few clues. I also didn’t realize Blue Bell is (according to that unimpeachable source Wikipedia) the #3 ice cream maker in the US. I got that one from the flower photo and vaguely agreed that someone made ice cream under that name, but I can’t think when I’ve ever seen it on shelves. I’ve decided that maybe I know the name from the tainted ice cream a few years ago. I’m from suburban Washington DC and now live in San Francisco. I notice they’re based in Texas so maybe they’re more a thing in the middle of the country? I’ll be looking out now!

Bonus points to the champ for “Smokey Bear” rather than “Smokey the Bear,” a mistake I always make. I did know Javert before the music started, but not definitely. I psyched myself out halfway through and started thinking about other good fits from iconic French literature. I was trying to get myself to believe it could be Frollo from “Hunchback of Notre Dame” when I got real.

Alex was a good sport about that corny Pluto poem, which I also liked. And then there was “I promise not to mention anything about that third podium where you are standing!” “You know, Holly, the reason I haven’t mentioned anything today about the third podium is... So how do you feel about that?” How very Alex. At the risk of being told to change the record, I will miss him so much. He always seems so deeply involved. In another universe where he wasn’t hosting, maybe he would’ve gotten into our discussions. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
Forgot a few things
  • Love 6

Instead of gypsum Mr Chemo kept saying Calcium. He states he is correct, but I’ll leave that for y’all to decide. I got bluebell, Snow White, the Big Island and flaked on FJ. I have never seen Les Miserables. 

I think the champ Andy looks like Christian Slater and kept yelling at Dan to speed up his category picking. That said they cleared the first board and only left one clue on the Double Jeopardy board. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

FJ: I suppose... "Ooh! That guy from Les Miz who was always chasing Jean Val Jean. What was his name???" is not an acceptable answer. 

That ran through my head (though I'd previously at some point said Jean Val Jean for Javert)

13 hours ago, opus said:

That’s along the lines of my answer of “the guy who Russell Crowe played in the movie “.

That came up too - and I finally got to Javert in time

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I missed part of the show because my neighbor didn't understand when I said, "It's almost time for Jeopardy!" and then called back 20 minutes later to bitch some more about the condo management company. GRRRRR.

This is why I don't answer the phone during Jeopardy.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I also didn’t realize Blue Bell is (according to that unimpeachable source Wikipedia) the #3 ice cream maker in the US. I got that one from the flower photo 

I didn't know what flower it was until Alex mentioned ice cream. However, I DID know it wasn't carnation. Hey, i just realized that Carnation used to be an ice cream brand (and a Disneyland cafe). I wonder if this is why Holly said carnation.

Bonus points to the champ for “Smokey Bear” rather than “Smokey the Bear,” 

I was giving him bonus points for that, too.

For the "Ellison" airport, I first said Hawaii (thinking the state) and then realized they were asking for the specific island, so I went with Oahu.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Did she say carnation?  I though she said chrysanthemum?  The category was "um."

Two different questions in two different categories in two different rounds.  She said chrysanthemum instead of geranium in the Blank "um" category in J round.  Then she said carnation instead of blue bells in Around the Garden in DJ round. She obviously isn't too good on flowers.  I really scratched my head over both those answers.

Blue bells was my only ts; I also got the missed DD of recant.

For FJ, like so many others, I knew who the character was but could not remember his name.

I ran the category of tv spin-offs and also questioned just Hercules as being correct.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For the "Ellison" airport, I first said Hawaii (thinking the state) and then realized they were asking for the specific island, so I went with Oahu.

Since I thought it was asking the state, I said Hawaii and was accidentally right. 😆

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Trey said:

wo different questions in two different categories in two different rounds.  She said chrysanthemum instead of geranium in the Blank "um" category in J round.  Then she said carnation instead of blue bells in Around the Garden in DJ round. She obviously isn't too good on flowers.  I really scratched my head over both those answers.

That was really stupid of me.  Obviously bluebell doesn't end in "um."  

13 minutes ago, Trey said:

I ran the category of tv spin-offs and also questioned just Hercules as being correct.

I missed Family Guy. I'm OK with that.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

And then there was “I promise not to mention anything about that third podium where you are standing!”

Alex correctly said lectern, not podium. He always correctly calls what they stand behind a lectern. I know podium has become acceptable, but a podium is something you stand on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Alex correctly said lectern, not podium. He always correctly calls what they stand behind a lectern. I know podium has become acceptable, but a podium is something you stand on.

Well, I understand some of them are given a platform so they make a relatively matched line height-wise for the cameras. No? I’m not getting away with that? Alright, alright. 😉

• LOL 3

I haven't had a chance to watch last night's game yet, but I went through the archives just now.  I definitely would have gotten the TS of Hawaii, and the missed DD of recant.  I probably would have gotten bluebells, but for some reason, I can't see the pictures on the archive.

I should have gotten "curiouser and curiouser", since I say it a lot, but I guess I didn't know the source of the quote.

I did get FJ, but it was not an instaget.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

If you could write all that down in 30 seconds in that small space, I'd give you credit!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

She said chrysanthemum instead of geranium in the Blank "um" category in J round.  Then she said carnation instead of blue bells in Around the Garden in DJ round. She obviously isn't too good on flowers. 

While I can understand her saying chrysanthemum instead of geranium in the ___UM category -- the flowers are not the same, yet they could be called "similar" -- I was completely gobsmacked by her answer of carnation for bluebell. Especially since there was a photo and bluebells look just like ... wait for it ... blue bells.

flowers.jpg.6e2ab04427fc54b9ae0113afa59503ae.jpg

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The only characters from French novels that I know are Quasimodo and The Phantom of the Opera.

Quasimodo would have been a fun wrong answer.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Instead of gypsum Mr Chemo kept saying Calcium.

The clue already mentioned calcium ("hydrous calcium sulfate"), so it couldn't have been the correct response.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The only characters from French novels that I know are Quasimodo and The Phantom of the Opera.

I’m not enjoying the shows as much knowing that Alex is dead.

I think the shows are keeping him alive for me, so for the most part I don't think about the fact that he's gone while I'm watching. December 25th will be bad, though.

• Love 8

On Monday's episode, the minute the Final Jeopardy category popped up, I yelled, "Benjamin Franklin!".  And, of course, that's exactly what it was.

Did anyone tear up a little bit when Alex mentioned how quickly this year was going and how it is a week-and-a-half before Thanksgiving?  I thought to myself, "Yep, when you filmed this, you didn't know you wouldn't be alive when this aired".

• Love 2

Oh, bummer!  I was really rooting for Deanna.  And actively rooting against middle guy, although he got less bad about picking up the pace a bit.  I had to think about FJ for a bit, but arrived at the right response in the nick of time.  Finally remembering that -phil- is love helped me tremendously.  

Only two TS for me -- zero, and smile smile smile.  

• Love 3

I got FJ, honestly, I was second-guessing myself.  I know that the Philippines were named after King Philip of Spain and I know that philo is the root for love, but I wasn't sure where the horse part came in.  But, luckily I didn't have a better answer.

No TS for me.

I got the entire categories of History Blues, phrase that pays and E right.  

I usually do well in TV categories, but I only got the $400 in the crime TV category.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I know that the Philippines were named after King Philip of Spain and I know that philo is the root for love, but I wasn't sure where the horse part came in. 

The lady on the end was going in the right direction with "hip" - the early horses were "eohippus" and hippos are "river horses."  That's actually what I got first, followed by "phile."

Alan Greenspan, on the other hand... I can never remember his name. I don't think they would have accepted "the guy that NBC newswoman Andrea Mitchell is married to..."  (I went to Hallowe'en party as her one year.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, honestly, I was second-guessing myself.  I know that the Philippines were named after King Philip of Spain and I know that philo is the root for love, but I wasn't sure where the horse part came in.  But, luckily I didn't have a better answer.

That's exactly how I was thinking and didn't know where the horse part came in either. I still don't know. And it would have been less confusing if the horse part was left off. I had time to go through several other island nations and wasn't all that sure about Philippines, I just couldn't come up with anything else. So it was a half-horse answer for me. And guess which horse half.

The FJ bets were strange. It's just luck that the champ, well, lucked out by the woman missing FJ.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The lady on the end was going in the right direction with "hip" - the early horses were "eohippus" and hippos are "river horses."  That's actually what I got first, followed by "phile."

I only got as far as hippo.... I said "Hispaniola no that's not right" (also not one nation).

I did pretty well on the one subject non-fiction...I've even read a couple of the books mentioned (Cod and SaltMilk is on my list).

• Love 2

Final Jeopardy! was an instaget for me. I've been all horses, all the time since birth and have known almost forever that Philip means "horse lover/lover of horses" in the baby name books.  Just a fluke that it landed in my wheelhouse.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Well, I understand some of them are given a platform so they make a relatively matched line height-wise for the cameras. No? I’m not getting away with that? Alright, alright. 😉

There are actually small (say 18" by 18" or less) platforms behind each of the lecterns, operated remotely. Before your game starts, you stand on your platform, and you are magically lifted up in the air to be approximately the same height as the other players.  I assume that the magic platforms were moved when the lecterns were separated for social distancing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Damn; I was rooting for Deanna.

I blew the VO category (not surprising, since I watch very few animated films, and none of those asked about were among my exceptions), but I got everything else in the first round.  Pop culture did me in again in DJ; the only crime shows clue I knew was Jason Bateman, and only because they showed his picture.  Other than that category, I did well, just missing a few scattered clues.  The horse lover part of the FJ clue did not help me at all, but island country that resembled a name a Spanish king would have got me to Philippines in plenty of time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The lady on the end was going in the right direction with "hip" - the early horses were "eohippus" and hippos are "river horses." 

I forgot about "hip" being horse or whatever. I was thinking of Spanish and trying to come up with an island that combined cabello and philo. Anyway, I abandoned the cabello part, settled on the philo, and landed on the Philippines. (I'm not too good with etymology.)

The only TS I got was "smile, smile, smile," and boy do I feel old.

I was getting irritated with Deanna for doing so well against Andy since I wanted Andy to win, but then I checked myself and acknowledged that she's smart and quick. I still wanted Andy to win, but I felt bad that she had played so well only to miss FJ. She looked very sad too.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I also didn’t realize Blue Bell is (according to that unimpeachable source Wikipedia) the #3 ice cream maker in the US. I notice they’re based in Texas so maybe they’re more a thing in the middle of the country?

The big regional ice cream around this part of the Midwest (Iowa/Illinois) is the "other" blue one, Blue Bunny. It's made in Iowa so it's easy to chuck some half gallons across the river to Illinois. In case a Blue Foods category ever comes up, you guys will be set with that answer. Perhaps Blue Bell is southern. Check the Piggly next time you are in town.

Somehow though, I did know Blue Bell is ice cream. Because ... ice cream.

Man, I've had horses since I was 15, started saving for one when I was five. (Took me 10 years to accrue enough money to buy my first.) I've owned dozens over the years, although just have one brood mare now. And through all those years of owning and showing and breeding them, I never heard that Philip means lover of horses. Amazing. Heh.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was completely gobsmacked by her answer of carnation for bluebell. Especially since there was a photo and bluebells look just like ... wait for it ... blue bells.

I think she 100% thought of a flower related to ice cream (or dairy in general) and said carnation, without even registering the photo.

• Love 3

Flower and ice cream: the flower looked like digitalis (foxglove) to me. I couldn't think of any ice cream brands related to that, and I hadn't heard of Blue Bell ice cream anyway. Apparently it's regional.

• Love 2

I only know Blue Bell ice cream because of their sappy damn commercials that try to use nostalgia and old "southern charm" appeal to sell their stuff.  They annoy me so much I have never bought it. 

7 hours ago, Driad said:

Flower and ice cream: the flower looked like digitalis (foxglove) to me. I couldn't think of any ice cream brands related to that, and I hadn't heard of Blue Bell ice cream anyway. Apparently it's regional.

Digitalis ice cream.....I don't think they would allow that. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was "smile, smile, smile," and boy do I feel old.

Eh, it doesn't make me feel old, even though I am. I associate it with my parents - they're the ones who would be old (what I think of as old has shifted as I get older - anyone else experiencing that?)

• LOL 5

My only ts's were smile, smile, smile, and porpoise - porcupine seemed a very odd answer.

I thought I would do well in Crime Shows but they chose all shows I don't watch. 

Re FJ, like Deanna, I went with the horse = hippo part of the clue and didn't get anywhere with it. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's exactly how I was thinking and didn't know where the horse part came in either. I still don't know.

Apparently the "-ip" part of "Philip" derives from the Greek "hippos."  That said, I didn't bother much with worrying about the "horse-loving" part, and just went with Philip as the name of a Spanish king.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Apparently the "-ip" part of "Philip" derives from the Greek "hippos."  That said, I didn't bother much with worrying about the "horse-loving" part, and just went with Philip as the name of a Spanish king.

Good advice. Several FJ clues lately have had two parts to them, one obvious, one obscure. I'll try to ignore the obscure part ... if I can figure out which one that is!

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget.

The only TS I got was tuberculosis.

I got the entire category of All That right.

Not really a great game for me tonight.

I thought jazz was going to be the category after all that.

55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Alex talking about World Pancreatic Cancer Day and what a terrible disease it is. 😢

Oh yeah, when he started talking about that, I swear someone in my house started chopping onions.  😢

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I also got the TS of kettle and George M. Cohan.

• Love 2

The intro by Alex about National Pancreatic Cancer Day gutted me. I got kettle, socks, Barney Miller, George M Cohen, TB and FJ was an instaget. I literally had a whoop for Saber as I know she would get the correct answer. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I teared up when Alex urged anyone experiencing the symptoms he had to get tested, because "I want you to be safe, this is a terrible disease". 

Unfortunately, I was distracted for about half the game, and only did okay on the clues I was able to watch.  I did get FJ, at least, which I wasn't too optimistic about based on the category.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Trey said:

porcupine seemed a very odd answer.

Well, it DOES have pork in it.

Tonight I got Barney Miller and George M Cohan. FJ came to me quickly. I might have gotten consumption/TB if I was paying attention to the clue, but my mind wandered away.

I hadn't heard of blue zones.

• Love 4

When I saw the FJ category I was all like HOLY CATS I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, FINALLY! Then I right away thought, I'd better get this right or my street cred is gone, baby, gone. I instantly answered Saint Bernard, then thought hey, what about the Bernese Mountain Dog, it's from Switzerland. The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is too, but it's a newer breed than the Berner. And the Berner is too obscure for this show, so Saint Bernard it is. "Whew."

Side note: After Disney's Beethoven came out, everyone was buying Saints and the breed became seriously over bred and in terrible condition, physically and mentally. That was 1992 and the breed only started getting healthy again a few years ago. The same thing happened to Dalmatians after Disney's 101 Dalmatians. I considered myself lucky my breeds were/are not in a Disney movie.

Another side note: An ex used to breed/show Saints. One of his dogs was the sire of the Saint in the movie Cujo. You can take that down whatever road you wish.

I got Barney Miller even though I never watched that show, consumption (ha ha, "I got consumption" she said) and (hazardous) waste. And yet another Canada clue was a TS, the CN Tower in Toronto. Poor Alex.

Speaking of Alex, he had a look on his face like "This is the dumbest dumbass FJ category we've ever had" when he announced it before the break. It was like he was going to burst out into laughter, it was such a dreck category.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Who had Alex down as a Billie Eilish fan? 😉  She seems so ubiquitous in some of my circles these days that it's hard to believe she made it big only last year.  Perhaps it seems longer because 2020 has been so very long.  Anyway, I often learn something from these music categories, and don't mind a clip or two when the rest is moved along so we don't miss clues.  I had a good laugh at "Who is Will Hunting?" "Good." which I'd like to believe Alex did on purpose.

I'm not sure I would've been very brave in FJ, but I got it immediately too.  I have rescue cats but like dogs and all animals, although most of my friends' are mutts.  The workshop of Charles Looff carved some sweet St Bernards in the "golden age" of the American carousel.  A few others did dogs too, but his are my favorite.  I enjoy visiting these in Pawtucket RI. 125 years old!

Alex talking about World Pancreatic Cancer Day really got me too.  OT, but shortly before dinner I learned of the passing over a year ago of someone who was dear to me in college.  I've often thought, why don't I write Dymph a letter and see how she is?  For one reason or another I always put it off, and now it's too late.  I'm sure nobody is here for contemplations of mortality or my maudlin reminders to seize opportunities to reach out, but do it, don't put it off!  I miss her, but she lived a wonderful life.

Finally, I heard from one of the folks I "made" watch the show with me when I visited recently.  He and his girlfriend are watching daily now.  One or two people at a time, we can convert the few remaining people who aren't yet in the club.  Onward!

• Love 10