Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder if Alex had a say in choosing his successor. 

He has said he didn't have any say in it (don't ask me for the source because I forget), but I'll bet they listened to his suggestions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm hoping all the spec about Alex's replacement will be kept in the "Who is ... Alex Trebek's replacement?" thread. I read here for discussions about the show's episodes and clues. JMHO of course, not trying to be a mod or anything. Just pointing out there is a thread for that topic.

• Love 6

Hubby is the type who tries to figure out the correct or optimal betting strategies for Final Jeopardy. Last night was tricky because the men were close, something like $22K and $24K, and the woman had $10K. I can never figure out how much to bet ... I would need a spreadsheet with all of the various outcomes. I'm sad that the returning champion lost, because he was really good and I liked him, but I give huge kudos to the new guy who bet big and won.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I did know Stingray. Add to those of you surprised that nobody recognized it. I

I wonder if they all just had the same thought process that I did:

Sees photo, "Oh that's a manta ray." "Wait, the clue just said manta ray, so it's something else. What's the other one? Sting ray? Is that the same as a manta or a different animal? Wait Ken's been talking for a while, did he say Manta ray or sting ray? I'll say sting ray-oh damn time is up."

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Sees photo, "Oh that's a manta ray." "Wait, the clue just said manta ray, so it's something else. What's the other one? Sting ray? Is that the same as a manta or a different animal? Wait Ken's been talking for a while, did he say Manta ray or sting ray? I'll say sting ray-oh damn time is up."

Yeah.  I said stingray at home, but I figured that was too easy. So, I don't know if I would have rung in on show.  And, yes, those clues are too long. I'm a visual person so do better when I can read the clue as Alex reads it.  I've never been a huge fan of the clue crew (not the clue crew themselves, but the whole no words in front of me delivery).  But, I got used to them. But, the Ken clues seem to be longer.  It's like those SAT reading comprehension questions where they give you a whole paragraph to read (in this case hear) before you can answer the question.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was able to pull a few TSs out of my hat, and was surprised there were so few of them. I knew La Scala. It was a DD, but I don’t think the contestant got it.

yes, the contestant got it. 

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

the clue also mentioned the barbed tail, i think, so to me that was a hint toward STINGray.

• Love 1

I found the topic referred to.....no more about a new host.....but what I hope to see is that the next taping they do.....with whoever is hosting....to pay tribute to Alex by having a category in both the jeopardy and double jeopardy round and final jeopardy as well....be devoted to Alex.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

the clue also mentioned the barbed tail, i think, so to me that was a hint toward STINGray.

As soon as "barbed tail" was mentioned, I was all yeah, a stingray like the one that killed Steve Irwin. Didn't need the photo.

Although my interests lie with the outdoors, conservation and animals of all types as opposed to operas, British monarchs and Shakespeare, so the clue was way up The Alley Of My Knowledge. That doesn't happen often on this show!

• Love 2

I am right there with you bad things are bad being mad at WDIV.  They can scroll lottery numbers when it is their show or sports but they run full screen over the Alex tribute.  I actually called station to complain- had to leave a message but it calmed me down  a bit.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to Ken Jennings for saying the two most hilarious words I've never heard together before: "snot palaces."

Snot palaces got many laughs at casa Toothbrush also. 

21 hours ago, mojoween said:

I feel it’s a tribute to Alex to say that there were two President Bushes, so the contestant should have had to BMS.

I said BMS in my living room. Another shoutout to the recounts & threatened lawsuits happening now?  

With the Jeopardy death coincidences, Ken Jennings having a clue category Monday puts him at the top of my list of Alex's replacement. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

yes, the contestant got it. 

I probably got excited at this because I was there a year ago. 

1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I hope Alex hated hosting Mariah Carey's infomercial as much as I hated watching it. I detest those categories that are thinly disguised advertisements.

I agree. The worst part? I must be watching something that is filling my brain too much about them because I knew all the clues! The world must be upside down. I rarely listen to music other than classical or vintage rock. 
    I’m pleased to say that I knew a few answers tonight. I got Matte Latte, Wicked, golf, deafening silence, and for the first time in eight days I knew the FJ of Pan Am. Whew...I was beginning to worry 😂

P.S. I also got all the clues in D-Medicine 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

P.S. I also got all the clues in D-Medicine 

Me, too! 

I only got the "deafening" part of deafening silence because I didn't hear the category (Oxymorons; I think it was the first clue they picked) and was confused as to what they were going for.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Kimmmm, thanks for posting this (are you in Detroit?). I thought I was losing it when I saw all the reactions to the tribute. I was wondering why they didn't do anything in the beginning of the show, then I wondered  how the hell I missed it. 

Yet again, WDIV Detroit manages to reach new heights of sucking. 

Lol, yep, I'm in Detroit, alright! Well, Roseville, anyway....And I couldn't believe it, while watching and no mention of Alex...until I stopped aand realized...oh, yeah ..the all-important lottery drawing!

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It came to me so quickly that I thought for sure it was wrong!  But I couldn’t think of anything else, so I stuck with it.  

I also got the TS of Wicked, Marley & Me, one-man band, and Carrie Ann and Spanish Moss.

• Love 3

As someone who can't stand Mariah Carey, I got a big kick out of the contestant saying, "Can I do Mariah Carey for $1,200" and Alex responding something like, "Yes you can." Heh.

Melissa ruined her Vision of Love answer, and Alex responded to her too quickly instead of ignoring her and letting another player buzz in to answer. Lost opportunity for those two guy players.

I immediately said Continental for FJ because that's what I used to fly to Texas. Pan Am should have been obvious, I liked that tv show that was on (for one whole season) a few years ago. I guess I can excuse myself since I never flew Pan Am. I also used to fly Ozark Airlines (Ozark spelled backwards is Krazo), TWA and American. Geesh, all of the airlines I used to fly are gone now. They just haven't been in any movies lately.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Oh my, I had a terrible first round - I missed nearly a dozen clues!  But I thoroughly redeemed myself, only missing one (Carrie Ann and Spanish Moss) in DJ and knowing FJ almost immediately.

The Marley & Me TS surprised me some, as did Black Beauty (but I correctly predicted someone was going to totally ignore the year and guess Seabiscuit).  Wicked surprised me in a sense, but I don't think no one knew it, I think they forgot the category.  One-man band and deafening silence are two more I wasn't expecting to stump everyone.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I immediately said Continental for FJ because that's what I used to fly to Texas.

Continental merged with United in 2012. I was debating between Pan Am and TWA and settled on Pan Am because the logo seemed more recognizable. 

What was up with Mariah Carey’s weird posture during her clues? Did anyone else think she was standing so awkwardly? It almost looked like she was laying down on that wall and filmed from above. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Cotypubby said:

What was up with Mariah Carey’s weird posture during her clues? Did anyone else think she was standing so awkwardly?

She was posing for her best camera angle, but since she was being filmed for a whole clue's worth of reading rather than having a still photo snapped on the red carpet, it came off weird.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As someone who can't stand Mariah Carey, I got a big kick out of the contestant saying, "Can I do Mariah Carey for $1,200" and Alex responding something like, "Yes you can." Heh.

Melissa ruined her Vision of Love answer, and Alex responded to her too quickly instead of ignoring her and letting another player buzz in to answer. Lost opportunity for those two guy players.

I immediately said Continental for FJ because that's what I used to fly to Texas. Pan Am should have been obvious, I liked that tv show that was on (for one whole season) a few years ago. I guess I can excuse myself since I never flew Pan Am. I also used to fly Ozark Airlines (Ozark spelled backwards is Krazo), TWA and American. Geesh, all of the airlines I used to fly are gone now. They just haven't been in any movies lately.

American is still around. US Airways (fka USAir & Allegheny) is the airline that ceased to exist as a result of the American/US Airways merger.

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

What was up with Mariah Carey’s weird posture during her clues? Did anyone else think she was standing so awkwardly? It almost looked like she was laying down on that wall and filmed from above. 

Yeah, and I didn't think her shirt was doing her any favors.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm hoping all the spec about Alex's replacement will be kept in the "Who is ... Alex Trebek's replacement?" thread. I read here for discussions about the show's episodes and clues. JMHO of course, not trying to be a mod or anything. Just pointing out there is a thread for that topic.

I almost think it would be fun if the new host were announced, somehow, as  Jeopardy question.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Marley & Me TS surprised me some, as did Black Beauty (but I correctly predicted someone was going to totally ignore the year and guess Seabiscuit).  Wicked surprised me in a sense, but I don't think no one knew it, I think they forgot the category.  One-man band and deafening silence are two more I wasn't expecting to stump everyone.

I got Black Beauty (did pay attention to the date) after first saying "Black Velvet" (one of my favorite songs).

I did forget the category when the Wicked question came up. I did very poorly (shamefully) because I couldn't wrap my head around it - and it wasn't even a particularly difficult concept. I blame exhaustion. Yeah, that's it.

I chose TWA, the mister chose Pan Am. I'm not sure I ever flew Pan Am, but it was TWA we took to our overseas postings. I got a pair of wings, one time, after the stewardess (it was long ago) had me hand out some kind of form to the GIs on board. My little 4th grade self was so proud.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I only got the "deafening" part of deafening silence because I didn't hear the category (Oxymorons; I think it was the first clue they picked) and was confused as to what they were going for.

i also just said deafening. there were a few times last night that i didn't pay attention to what the category was.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Marley & Me TS surprised me some

i thought about marley (forgot about the 'and me' part), but was thinking that marley wouldn't have been called the worst dog in the world. i haven't read the book or seen the movie, but my understanding is that he was a well-loved dog, although challenging.

14 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Continental merged with United in 2012. I was debating between Pan Am and TWA and settled on Pan Am because the logo seemed more recognizable. 

i also vacillated betw the two but settled on TWA. funny, after i chose that i was thinking about how nice and iconic the pan am logo was.

as for ts's, i said batman instead of batkid. i got golf, one-man band, and carrie anne & spanish moss.

wasn't rock of ages the answer to a clue just a couple of shows ago?

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

wasn't rock of ages the answer to a clue just a couple of shows ago?

I'm pretty sure it was.  I even mentioned it to some of the cats.

eta:  Unfortunately I couldn't find it in the archives (it has a Search feature) so perhaps we are both wrong.  Or perhaps Rock of Ages was part of a clue within the last few days.

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 1

Ran the Broadway and Author's Homes categories 🙂
Missed one in John Brown (couldn't come up with Buchanan).
I had a feeling they were going to take Caucasus away from him.
I got FJ but I wasn't sure (the word "process" in the clue was throwing me off).

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TS of tumbler, pip, wormwood (why I knew that I have no edea) and Dog Star.

I got the entire categorries of crossword clues and John Brown right and the entire category of gateways wrong. Geography strikes again.

• Love 2

I'm glad they took Caucasus away from him -- what he said was cacausus, which is all kinds of wrong.  Also, when she lived in the dugout, her name was just Laura Ingalls, but I guess that's too nitpicky.  

I did not get FJ -- I said ultrasound.  But I did get pip, Arctic, Hawthorne, wormwood, and Dog Star.

I'm a little jealous of the guy who drove the Zamboni!  

• Love 4

I said mammogram for FJ but it really could have been anything. I started second guessing because a mammogram is actually just x rays and x rays are way older. I also wondered about stethoscopes and BP cuffs, but those are also older.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad they took Caucasus away from him

I find myself agreeing with Andy over at TheJeopardyFan.com: "I personally felt that the judges’ ruling that Greg changed the pronunciation of “Caucasus” too much (on GEOGRAPHIC GATEWAYS $2000) sets a dangerous precedent that could unfairly penalize contestants in the future who learn by simply reading."

I am often surprised when I hear a word I've read, spoken. They are often not the same. Sometimes not even close.

The FJ wagers were strange to say the least. If Doug had answered correctly, he would be the new champion.

I got the TS of pips, thanks to having read Sherlock's "The Five Orange Pips" many years ago.

Flat tax wasn't a TS, but it poked me in the eye since Illinois voted against the graduated tax on the November ballot so we are still stuck with that crummy flat tax ... that the wealthy end up not paying anyway.

I felt sorry for Alex that Winnipeg was a TS. WTH is wrong is people not knowing Canada geography. I mean, it's right up there you guys. Players know where North Macedonia is but no idea about the location of Quebec? Gah.

And of COURSE I got the TS of Dog Star!

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ -- I said ultrasound.

Yes, you did get FJ. Answer: "What is a mammogram? (Note: What is ultrasound/sonography is also correct. This clue was not uniquely pinned."

Head over to TJF to read the details. In short: "The first mammogram unit was invented by Charles Gross of France in 1965 and is used for regular breast cancer screening. However: The first patents for the first practical commercial ultrasound machine were also filed for an “Ultrasound diagnostic apparatus” on June 7, 1965 by Walter Erich Krause, Richard Ernst Soldner, and Otto Heinz Kresse of Siemens AG."

More details about this poorly researched FJ are at the link.

52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Also, when she lived in the dugout, her name was just Laura Ingalls, but I guess that's too nitpicky.

I caught that too. It was an "ahem" moment for my brain.

Edited by saber5055
Too many returns! I do not like extra space ...
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Also, when she lived in the dugout, her name was just Laura Ingalls, but I guess that's too nitpicky.  

But, the category was author's homes, and she wrote under the name of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I want to say the Winnipeg TS surprised me, but at this point I don't think any geography TS, especially outside the U.S., can truly be unexpected.  The dog star TS did surprise me, though.

Knowing that Huckleberry Finn was written Mark Twain had no place being in DJ, even at $400.

I only missed three in the first round, so I was off to a much better start than last night.  I missed five in DJ, and FJ was an instaget, so my perfect game remains elusive (I'd sure like to achieve that goal during Alex's tenure, but I'm running out of time), but it was still a good one. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I find myself agreeing with Andy over at TheJeopardyFan.com: "I personally felt that the judges’ ruling that Greg changed the pronunciation of “Caucasus” too much (on GEOGRAPHIC GATEWAYS $2000) sets a dangerous precedent that could unfairly penalize contestants in the future who learn by simply reading."

I am often surprised when I hear a word I've read, spoken. They are often not the same. Sometimes not even close.

When the Harry Potter books first became a monster hit in the US, I was with a friend who was reading it out loud to her young daughter.  I truly don't like to embarrass people, but a laugh escaped at "Her me own."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Trey said:

eta:  Unfortunately I couldn't find it in the archives (it has a Search feature) so perhaps we are both wrong.  Or perhaps Rock of Ages was part of a clue within the last few days.

it's kinda coming back to me. it was in the gospel music category, and the clue was about the same title for two very different songs. i think.

i swear, when things settle down in my household, i'm going to study general knowledge stuff about canada.

i got pips, hawthorne, and dog star. i learned the word pip from my father, a Pole, who referred to apple pips and the pips on playing cards. 

i didn't get fj. i was stuck on the polio vaccine and couldn't come up with a process to answer the clue.

i'd love to see that john brown show. i've heard that ethan hawke is tremendous. unfortunately, i don't get whichever service is airing the show.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Hubby is the type who tries to figure out the correct or optimal betting strategies for Final Jeopardy. Last night was tricky because the men were close, something like $22K and $24K, and the woman had $10K. I can never figure out how much to bet ... I would need a spreadsheet with all of the various outcomes.

There are suggested bets and explanations on each game page at j-archive.com, under a link called "wagering suggestions for these scores."

On 11/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, saber5055 said:

I also used to fly Ozark Airlines (Ozark spelled backwards is Krazo), TWA and American.

It's funny how people used to come up with negative nicknames for airlines. (Is this still a thing?) "Travel With Another" (TWA) and "Take a Chance Airlines" (TACA Airlines, now Avianca) are others I've heard.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

But are ultrasounds used for routine screening? Not that I am aware of.

I agree that ultrasounds are diagnostic for breast cancer, but I am not a medical pro, nor do I play one on TV. If you get a screening mammogram that's basically, "Reply hazy, try again" (because you have dense breasts, for example), they may send you to get a diagnostic ultrasound. 

I knew the show was going for "jot," but "pen" would have worked as well.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I agree that ultrasounds are diagnostic for breast cancer, but I am not a medical pro, nor do I play one on TV. If you get a screening mammogram that's basically, "Reply hazy, try again" (because you have dense breasts, for example), they may send you to get a diagnostic ultrasound. 

I had to do that last year. My (rather quick) googling suggests it's more of a follow-up thing if deemed necessary, so I don't think it would be accepted as routine screening for breast cancer. It may not catch calcifications that can be an early sign so it's not used as the primary test. 

But the clue didn't specify what they were screening for...