Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, SHD said:

Yes! And then I tried to figure out what kind of person I was that I got teary over the death of a spider in literature and not over the death of the four people in literature that were in the other clues.

I was caught off guard by Mayim's comment about the Aerosmith clue, but not offended. I didn't take it so much as an ageist comment as it was that Aerosmith is a hard rock band and the contestant looked like a sweet, prim, Mom type. (And I know that today's sweet, prim, Mom types are the ones who grew up listening to Aerosmith, but it's easy to forget that!)

Well Lenny too made me a bit sad, but then it makes me wonder why a pitty a man who killed a woman.  

Beth.....I didn't care for little women much

Dorian gray I know the story but never read the book, but there is a twilight zone that basically does that story too

I thought for sure one of them would be Anna karenina, but no

And Moby dick, that's less sad and more a lesson in obsession and hubris. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I wonder what they make of Julia at work, and I mean that as neutrally as possible.  I suppose, like many people, she may have a different persona there and elsewhere.  I did look to see which firm she is with and I’m peripherally familiar with it.  They seem pretty straitlaced to me and not like the kind of place to be thrilled with one of their young class action associates being featured in the likes of the New York Post under “snarky faces go viral,” but I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world.

Personally, and I think I’ve described a few other contestants this way, Julia seemed to me like she’d be great to do bar trivia with.  “Free-spirited,” I guess she might be called, and she certainly knows her stuff.  From the perspective of a TV viewer, I’m not sure for how many more days the relentless shtick will strike me as charming.  She does somehow strike me as a bit more put-on than other “quirky” contestants have, perhaps because of the dissonance I perceive between her occupation and the way she presents herself, but that’s my baggage.  As long as she keeps up the good play, what can I say but mazel tov?

I really liked all three contestants on Friday, and I think it was the first time everyone onstage was a woman.  I agree with the room that Mayim’s remark about Susie’s knowledge of Aerosmith was just unnecessary.  Actually, on appearance and manner only, I would have said she was perhaps most likely on the stage to know “Dude Looks Like a Lady,” so maybe I’m just as bad as Mayim on this, except I would have kept it to myself.  Susie reminded me of my years living in the South and many people of a certain age who use “please” and “thank you” very liberally, as she often did when selecting a clue, or a rude non sequitur from the host. And many of them loved classic rock. ;)

Finally, a quibble about the “Contestant Zone” on the show’s website.  I like to check at the beginning of the week to see who will be on.  They are careful about not updating the daily results until after the show has aired in all time zones, but each day’s two new challengers are there from Monday on.  When Julia showed up on Thursday in green, I knew she would win because her photo in the “Contestant Zone” showed her in red.  I might have forgotten exactly what she was wearing if the color hadn’t been so striking.  In this case, I guess the steep asymmetrical cut of the neckline on her green outfit might have made the photo look odd the way they crop it for these galleries.  But otherwise, while I doubt there were TVs clicking off coast to coast in exasperation or anything, they could stand to be more thoughtful about that sort of thing for us eagle-eyed weirdos.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And you don't need to be a fan to be familiar with the song, either. I know (and may or may not like) plenty of songs from bands that I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of. They were all over the radio in their heyday and back then we didn't have all these carefully curated streaming channels...we just listened to whatever station played the kind of music we liked. I heard lots of Aerosmith as a teenager but I would probably never have bought an album or gone to a concert.

That's why I found Mayim's remark ridiculous, regardless of what subconscious bias lead her to say it - it wasn't an obscure bit of trivia only an Aerosmith fan would know, it was simply remembering the name of the rock song that was titled for the "dude" it's about, and would make sense to have been inspired by a guy's long hair.  So there was nothing surprising about anyone who was listening to the radio at the time coming up with it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well Lenny too made me a bit sad, but then it makes me wonder why a pitty a man who killed a woman.  

Because he didn't kill her because he was a bad person.  He killed her because he didn't know his own strength and didn't understand why she was upset.

• Love 6
On 6/4/2021 at 2:56 AM, SHD said:

I actually did laugh when she got one right and hesitated and then said “Great...?” like she wasn’t sure it was.

I was with her in her uncertainty. "At the Montreal Olympics, Princess Anne competed for Britain in this sport" = "What is equestrian?" which does sound incomplete somehow.

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They used those lines too in a Simpsons episode, Lisa's substitute. 

Great episode.

3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I really liked all three contestants on Friday, and I think it was the first time everyone onstage was a woman.

I do think this was a first!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked all three contestants on Friday, and I think it was the first time everyone onstage was a woman

My inner "yay! women!" cheerleader was very happy about that!

For the most part, I'm happy with Mayim as host (please, tptb, don't make her a hostess) and acknowledge some of the comments here about the laughter. If this was a sitcom, I would not have been surprised to see all 4 women gather in a circle while the "What is Ghost?" giggling erupted - you know, for the traditional "oh my... we're female, so we have to jump up and down to display our excitement!" moment.

I seek laughter, since I see it as medicine (you younguns just wait until you hit the arthritic years and you may understand), so I don't mind the cheerful J! mood Mayim brings... and Julia's quirkiness is refreshing - like lemon water LOL.

• Love 3

As for the woman recognizing "Dude"..that song was in the movie Mrs. Doubtfire which is played on cable ad naseum...so I am betting, my 78 year old mother would know that song.

I'm hoping the writers get away from 17th Century. I'd like to feel smart again...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Technically Princess Anne competed in 3 day eventing, which is an equestrian competition, but there are 2 other Olympic equestrian events—show jumping and dressage.  Maybe reining and vaulting too.  I would have answered “eventing “ since it starts with an E and is actually the correct answer.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bliss said:
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I really liked all three contestants on Friday, and I think it was the first time everyone onstage was a woman

My inner "yay! women!" cheerleader was very happy about that!

And the host was a woman too! 
I hope that was coincidental and not somehow manipulated?

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

For the most part, I'm happy with Mayim as host (please, tptb, don't make her a hostess)

"Hostess" should only be used for cupcakes.

image.png.6911c335670996315f08323834f2046a.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And the host was a woman too! 
I hope that was coincidental and not somehow manipulated?

I think that’s what the comment meant? That the host was also a woman. There have been many times when all three contestants were female, but if you include the host, then yes this would be the first time.

NYC ran the past few episodes a day late so today I saw Friday’s and am now caught up. No clue on FJ but I was happy that I knew the ts of Bessie Coleman! Strangely I had just learned about her on Wednesday so it was right in the front of my mind.

I like Julia and find her displays of emotions refreshing! I can’t stand contestants that are dull and lifeless.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

And they need to tighten up the game a bit when it comes to correct responses.

YES!  There have been so many times I expected to see an answer ruled incorrect or at least a BMS.  It really annoys me.

• Love 5

Savannah Guthrie's going to host?!   She already cost NBC $275 million over her hardball smack-down interview with the 16 year-old Catholic kid who didn't do anything but grin nervously while the Native American elder played a drum in his face.  Apparently Savannah hadn't bothered to watch the entire video and mixed up who was trying to bully who.  

I don't want to see  any news anchor in the spot.  They all carry too much gloomy baggage.  Jeopardy is supposed to be fun.

• Love 14
(edited)

I was caught off guard by Mayim's comment about the Aerosmith clue, but not offended. I didn't take it so much as an ageist comment as it was that Aerosmith is a hard rock band and the contestant looked like a sweet, prim, Mom type. (And I know that today's sweet, prim, Mom types are the ones who grew up listening to Aerosmith, but it's easy to forget that!)

It wasn't that she didn't look like an Aerosmith fan...I'm pretty sure I'm older than her and grew up on the Stones, Zeppelin, Cream, etc., all hard core rock. We still think of ourselves as cutting edge rebels, but one look in the mirror and you have to remember reality :)

But SAHM from Alabama does not tick the Aerosmith box for me. A stereotype for sure, but I'd imagine that the edgiest music she'd listen to would be Christian rock.

Edited by bad things are bad
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 6/6/2021 at 7:48 AM, JudyObscure said:

I don't want to see  any news anchor in the spot.  They all carry too much gloomy baggage.  Jeopardy is supposed to be fun.

I've always thought they should promote from within. Give Jimmy AND Sarah from the Clue Crew a shot at the hosting gig. They both know the show inside and out.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I've always thought they should promote from within. Give Jimmy AND Sarah from the Clue Crew a shot at the hosting gig. They both know the show inside and out.

I guess this show is like any corporate office, people are brought in from the outside to fill the high-ranking vacancies as the thinking is they are "brighter and smarter" than the known people in the office. More often than not, that turns out to be not true. But still, it keeps happening.

• Love 2

Well, today, the response "what is the Nile" got a BMS and the contestant was able to say Blue Nile and While Nile.

A lot of triple stumpers today, but I thought it was a good game in that nobody looked bad and all contestants finished DJ with over 10,000.

Verlinda did not answer anything incorrectly (per J! Archive) but she also did not get any of the daily doubles.

In FJ I answered Vivian Leigh right away, although I suppose Olivia de Haviland and Jessica Tandy were good guesses.

• Love 2

Missed the first few minutes (left work late, got stuck in the lobby for several minutes waiting for the rain to let up, then had to stop at the store)...but I got half the last TS in the first round ("Matthew.....?"). That should count for something, right?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Well, today, the response "what is the Nile" got a BMS and the contestant was able to say Blue Nile and While Nile.

Well, the clue wanted the two branches. CLUE: Alan Moorehead published histories of these 2 main branches of the world's longest river.    "What is the Nile?" is incorrect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I had no idea on FJ so I said Vivien Leigh.  Seriously, what are the odds?

I got the TS of Bismarck and Charles II.

I got the entire category of landmarks right.  Fairly good game tonight.  

And, yes, the clue asked for the two branches.  I kind of feel like the Nile should have been ruled wrong.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If the response is the name of a person, it should be both first and last names.

i think if there is only one famous person with that name, it's OK to only have one name. Otherwise, nobody's going to get Fahrenheit or Geiger, because people don't really know their first names, but there's nobody else to really confused them with.

• Love 7

I’ve seen some of the Vivien Leigh items on display at the V&A. 

Coupling! It’s a great show. For Sherlock/Doctor Who fans it’s written by Steven Moffat and was inspired by his and Sue Vertue’s relationship. 

• Love 3

Instaget FJ today for me -- I had it written down before Mayim finished reading the clue.  I hope this is a good sign for this week!

The only TS I got was Tesla.

And to be nit-picky and pedantic, the vet school in Blacksburg is not Virginia Tech.  The vet school is the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.  They probably would have counted me as incorrect, though, if I'd given the real name instead of just Virginia Tech.

Hooray for Verlinda!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Well, for FJ I knew it was the person who played Blanche DuBois, and couldn't get any further than that. I could have sat here til next year and not come up with her name.

• Love 1

Mayim, reading clue: Saying "blushing crow" instead of "crushing blow" is one of these, named for an Anglican clergyman.
Me, thinking: There was a priest named Malaprop?

And then Julia answered, so I never got to correct myself to spoonerism.  But I did at least amuse myself a little.

I was also amused by Julia's reaction when anti-pope turned out to be correct.

If it wasn't for Arrivals & Departures, I'd have only missed one in the whole first round (like the contestants, I didn't know Owen in baby names), but I completely blew that category - the only one I got was Harding!  (I'm surprised I, and all three contestants, failed to come up with Bismarck in time.)

In DJ, U.K. TV was my blown category - I only knew Premier League.  The only category I ran was stream writing, and I missed one or two each in all the rest.

I rebounded to know FJ immediately.  By the questioning way Mayim read Derek's answer, she may have never heard of Olivia de Havilland.  (At first I thought she couldn't make it out, but it didn't look unclear and if it was, I'd have expected an Olivia d... oh, Olivia de Havilland type of reading.)

• Love 2

I was rooting for Verlinda because she knew the UK TV shows! Doctor Who and Broadchurch, two of my faves! Though I also got Coupling, and for The Weakest Link question I knew it was Anne something. 

I dont know why Mayim seemed to struggle reading Olivia de Havilland, it was like she thought it was a made up name. Weird. I actually pre-guessed her but could not come up with the correct response. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And to be nit-picky and pedantic, the vet school in Blacksburg is not Virginia Tech.  The vet school is the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.  They probably would have counted me as incorrect, though, if I'd given the real name instead of just Virginia Tech.

Au contraire, @Browncoat, you are not being nit-picky at all! Rather, you are correct, and the Jeopardy judges failed to correct the error. But since Derek didn't win, I guess it doesn't matter.
Anyway, the clue was:

• A therapy dog named Moose got an honorary doctorate in veterinary medicine from this school based in Blacksburg

Although Moose earned his degree by working as a therapy dog at Virginia Tech, the doctorate was from Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine (https://www.nbc12.com/2020/05/15/beloved-virginia-tech-therapy-dog-moose-earn-honorary-doctorate/).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

What great boards for me!  I ran "Bring It On" and "UK TV," and got 4/5 in several others.  But if I couldn't be there to benefit from them, I'm glad Verlinda could.  I really took to her and hope she keeps going.  I also liked the way Julia seemed as giddy congratulating her at the end as she did about anything else.

The "River Kwai," clue asked for the title of the "novel that was made into an Oscar-winning film."  The film was "The Bridge on the River Kwai," which is the answer Verlinda gave.  The novel was originally written in French and was translated into English as "The Bridge Over the River Kwai."  Maybe it's nitpicking, and I understand there are some later editions with the same title as the film which perhaps give them cover to accept the answer given.  But I think it's sloppy and it would have been better for the writers to ask for the name of the film based on a novel instead.

Of all the material covered, I was sorriest that nobody knew Anne Robinson.  She was a respected consumer affairs reporter before and after doing Weakest Link and will be taking over the long-running game show "Countdown" in three weeks.  She's tough but very honest about herself and while I don't always agree with her I've always liked and respected her.

I was pretty sure about Vivien Leigh, Olivier's wife and portrayer of Williams' character, but I started second-guessing and wondering whether I was really thinking of Janet Leigh instead.  Thank goodness that the V&A clue was there and that I knew in the back of my mind that Vivien was British and Janet was not.  I would have bet pretty big on that category too, all other things being equal.  The other guesses were not bad.

I wonder if, rather than not having ever heard of Olivia de Havilland, Mayim simply hadn't heard it spoken and didn't know how to pronounce it.  I would have wanted them to loop the audio from that odd moment if I were her, but not the end of the world.  My other minor disappointment was that she said "Charles" the English way, rather than "Sharl."  She's been pretty good with pronunciations otherwise.

3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

What in the world was Mayim wearing?  It looked like a tan apron.

I thought it looked like what would be left of a full jacket after cutting a bolero out of it.  I didn't care for it, or for the purplish blazer she wore on Wednesday.  Of course she's always spoken very highly of the way I dress too.  I did think some of her other outfits were lovely.  It's certainly much easier for the men to put on a suit and have done with it.  I still think she is a pretty good host, whatever she wears.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

What great boards for me!  I ran "Bring It On" and "UK TV," and got 4/5 in several others.  But if I couldn't be there to benefit from them, I'm glad Verlinda could.  I really took to her and hope she keeps going.  I also liked the way Julia seemed as giddy congratulating her at the end as she did about anything else.

The "River Kwai," clue asked for the title of the "novel that was made into an Oscar-winning film."  The film was "The Bridge on the River Kwai," which is the answer Verlinda gave.  The novel was originally written in French and was translated into English as "The Bridge Over the River Kwai."  Maybe it's nitpicking, and I understand there are some later editions with the same title as the film which perhaps give them cover to accept the answer given.  But I think it's sloppy and it would have been better for the writers to ask for the name of the film based on a novel instead.

Of all the material covered, I was sorriest that nobody knew Anne Robinson.  She was a respected consumer affairs reporter before and after doing Weakest Link and will be taking over the long-running game show "Countdown" in three weeks.  She's tough but very honest about herself and while I don't always agree with her I've always liked and respected her.

I was pretty sure about Vivien Leigh, Olivier's wife and portrayer of Williams' character, but I started second-guessing and wondering whether I was really thinking of Janet Leigh instead.  Thank goodness that the V&A clue was there and that I knew in the back of my mind that Vivien was British and Janet was not.  I would have bet pretty big on that category too, all other things being equal.  The other guesses were not bad.

I wonder if, rather than not having ever heard of Olivia de Havilland, Mayim simply hadn't heard it spoken and didn't know how to pronounce it.  I would have wanted them to loop the audio from that odd moment if I were her, but not the end of the world.  My other minor disappointment was that she said "Charles" the English way, rather than "Sharl."  She's been pretty good with pronunciations otherwise.

I remembered Anne Robinson. I even caught an episode of the original Weakest Link while in England. If you thought she was mean on the American version, you should have seen her on her home turf! She made cracks about overweight contestants, for example.

I got FJ. Your mentioning Janet Leigh made me wonder whether they would have accepted "Who is Leigh?" Jessica Tandy was an especially good guess, since she originated the role of Blanche.

Why would Mayim pronounce Charles as "Sharl"? He was an English king, though I don't know if he had French roots.

I also got Nathan Hale, Owen, and Bismarck. There was a T-shirt at Yale saying, "Benedict Arnold went to Harvard, Nathan Hale went to Yale." I recalled Owen Glendower from Henry IV Part 1.

I liked Verlene. I missed Julia's first two episodes, so I'm not sure what motivated the dislike of her. I could see her trying to be the "lovable kook," but it didn't reach annoyance levels for me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I remembered Anne Robinson. I even caught an episode of the original Weakest Link while in England. If you thought she was mean on the American version, you should have seen her on her home turf! She made cracks about overweight contestants, for example.

I got FJ. Your mentioning Janet Leigh made me wonder whether they would have accepted "Who is Leigh?" Jessica Tandy was an especially good guess, since she originated the role of Blanche.

Why would Mayim pronounce Charles as "Sharl"? He was an English king, though I don't know if he had French roots.

I also got Nathan Hale, Owen, and Bismarck. There was a T-shirt at Yale saying, "Benedict Arnold went to Harvard, Nathan Hale went to Yale." I recalled Owen Glendower from Henry IV Part 1.

I liked Verlene. I missed Julia's first two episodes, so I'm not sure what motivated the dislike of her. I could see her trying to be the "lovable kook," but it didn't reach annoyance levels for me.

Anne Robinson was ruthless in the UK version!  I didn’t know she did an American one.

His mother was French and he lived there during his exile but I’ve never heard Charles II being pronounced that way.

Julia’s first episode was the only one where I found her annoying, she was less dramatic after that. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Coupling! It’s a great show. For Sherlock/Doctor Who fans it’s written by Steven Moffat and was inspired by his and Sue Vertue’s relationship. 

I got Coupling at the last second. I've only seen one episode, I think.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's another one I got half of... "Anne R.....I know it's not Richards.."

I said "oh yeah, the woman from Millionaire" - I didn't like her so I stopped watching after an episode or two.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

His mother was French (just looked it up) but he wasn't born in France (though he spent some time there - his history is pretty complicated to absorb for a quick look up). So I don't know why Mayim pronounced it that way. Maybe a tribute to Alex?

I got Owen from Torchwood. A less literary, but imo much more enjoyable, reference.

I got Vivian right off, I knew she was married to Olivier and was pretty sure she was in Streetcar. So yay! Started the week of with an FJ win.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

That was a good game to watch.  I am so taken with Verlinda, hope she has a good run (typed with crossed fingers so I don't jinx her).

Not such a great game for me.  My only ts was Charles II. So many answers just on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't come out.

However, FJ was an instaget and, to me, that is the main thing.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was thinking of Charles de Gaulle in the $800 clue under "Landmarks," rather than Charles II in the other round.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There was a T-shirt at Yale saying, "Benedict Arnold went to Harvard, Nathan Hale went to Yale."

A Yale shirt referencing 20th century history said, "Better Dead than Crimson."

7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There was a T-shirt at Yale saying, "Benedict Arnold went to Harvard, Nathan Hale went to Yale."

Hah! That T-shirt saying wouldn't work for me to differentiate the 2, but I did learn about Benedict Arnold when his name was still used colloquially as a pejorative for traitors, so I was a tad disappointed when the contestant for whom I've been cheerleading made a sound of disbelief that she was wrong by asking "Who was Benedict Arnold?" for the clue: 

• Sept. 22, 1776: The British take the life of this American spy at what is now the corner of 66th & 3rd in Manhattan

I could not come up with Nathan Hale in the time allotted, probably because I was silently quoting his "I regret that I have but one life to give to my country." 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Au contraire, @Browncoat, you are not being nit-picky at all! Rather, you are correct, and the Jeopardy judges failed to correct the error. But since Derek didn't win, I guess it doesn't matter.
Anyway, the clue was:

• A therapy dog named Moose got an honorary doctorate in veterinary medicine from this school based in Blacksburg

Although Moose earned his degree by working as a therapy dog at Virginia Tech, the doctorate was from Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine (https://www.nbc12.com/2020/05/15/beloved-virginia-tech-therapy-dog-moose-earn-honorary-doctorate/).

There's another error in the clue, because clearly the degree he earned was a dogtorate!

• LOL 7
On 6/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, ams1001 said:

And you don't need to be a fan to be familiar with the song, either.

Yep, my answer to her comment would've been "I'm not".

On 6/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, Bliss said:

I seek laughter, since I see it as medicine (you younguns just wait until you hit the arthritic years and you may understand), so I don't mind the cheerful J! mood Mayim brings... and Julia's quirkiness is refreshing - like lemon water LOL.

Whereas I found Julia annoying as shit and thought she was putting on an act.

23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am waiting for the hosts to start telling the contestants their answers were close enough.  The hosts should be asking for more complete answers.  If the response is the name of a person, it should be both first and last names.

It should be but very rarely ever is.  (See Carson, Kit.)  This has been a complaint about Jeopardy for a couple of years now.

20 hours ago, Roaster said:

A lot of triple stumpers today, but I thought it was a good game in that nobody looked bad and all contestants finished DJ with over 10,000.

Verlinda did not answer anything incorrectly (per J! Archive) but she also did not get any of the daily doubles.

In FJ I answered Vivian Leigh right away, although I suppose Olivia de Haviland and Jessica Tandy were good guesses.

Yep, I had no problem getting Vivien Leigh the moment I saw Olivier in the clue.

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

i think if there is only one famous person with that name, it's OK to only have one name. Otherwise, nobody's going to get Fahrenheit or Geiger, because people don't really know their first names, but there's nobody else to really confused them with.

Unless it's Nehru, because apparently there were so many famous Nehrus.

19 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Coupling! It’s a great show.

The first three seasons are fantastic.  The fourth one is terrible, because you cannot replace Jeff.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Owen from Torchwood. A less literary, but imo much more enjoyable, reference.

I hated Torchwood, but love Welsh history, so I'm quite familiar with Owain Glyndwr.

• Love 5

So I have a question.  I checked the guest host schedule, and the last one, Joe Buck, is on from August 9-13.  I don't remember a season ever going that far into the summer before.  Are they still going to come back after Labor Day or will we have to wait longer for Season 38?

(edited)
26 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So I have a question.  I checked the guest host schedule, and the last one, Joe Buck, is on from August 9-13.  I don't remember a season ever going that far into the summer before.  Are they still going to come back after Labor Day or will we have to wait longer for Season 38?

Season 37 of Jeopardy! concludes on August 13, 2021.

Summer repeats begin on August 16, 2021.

Season 38 of Jeopardy! kicks off on September 13, 2021.

Season 38 of Jeopardy! concludes on July 29, 2022.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I checked the guest host schedule, and the last one, Joe Buck, is on from August 9-13.  I don't remember a season ever going that far into the summer before.

There were a couple of weeks of reruns in December (Around the World with Alex), which may help explain the end date of Season 37.

• Love 4
(edited)

Since when is wine a type of agriculture?   It's a product of agriculture so first of all shouldn't it be grapes? Second that may be technically correct but is an odd phrasing. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6

I said lunch break.  I've never had a job where I get coffee breaks.  

I got the TS of Florence and Black Sea.

I've had worst nights, but this one wasn't great.

Just now, Driad said:

I said viniculture but I don't remember the category.

The category was lakes of Europe. Or European lakes.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Driad said:

Lakes of Europe: The shores of Hungary's Lake Balaton have been used for this type of agriculture for 2,000 years

Didn't keep score but I got FJ and I like the new champ.

Mayim was getting on my nerves tonight. What is so funny?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Driad said:

Viniculture would be correct but it means the cultivation of grapes, not wine.  

Not a big deal but still bugs me. 

• Love 5

I was very pleased that Belle Isle was included in the Olmstead category - too often it doesn't get mentioned among his projects and it is one of my favorite places since childhood - even went there on a couple of "I gotta get out of the house but don't want to go near people drives" this past year and it always delivers. 

That said, I wish it had chosen some feature other than the giant slide to focus on and it would have been more fun if the clue said located directly north of Windsor (but that is just me being nitpicky).  

For FJ, I was toying with lunch break but then from somewhere the song "Coffee Break" from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying popped into my brain and I changed my answer in time.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Viniculture would be correct but it means the cultivation of grapes, not wine.  

Not a big deal but still bugs me. 

I said viticulture, which I thought refers to the growing of grapes generally. Viniculture, I believed, refers to the growing of grapes for wine. Perhaps I’ve been mistaken. I’ll have to open a bottle and investigate.

I cleared Faith. Other than Episcopalian preschool, I was Catholic educated up until college. Thoughtful consideration of other world religions was in the curriculum at many different points. Then one of the most interesting electives I took in college was “Islamic Law in Society,” cross-listed between several undergraduate departments and the law school, not that it came up tonight. I really think it was a great foundation for an open-minded world view. And good for Jeopardy! clues too. ;)

Verlinda, we hardly knew ye! Her Daily Double wagers were just so timid, each worth less than the clue’s natural value. Too bad. I wanted to know what story she’d tell next.

• Love 7
(edited)

For FJ my mind was going: Lunch break? Coffee break? Lunch break? Coffee break? Lunch break? Coffee break? …   
I would probably have erroneously put Lunch break.

Verlinda would have won if she’d had the self confidence/daring to risk more earlier. 
I’m glad she got to experience betting it all at the end. I don’t think there’s any chance of her now morphing into a risk taker who would blow her $1K winning on the lottery, heh. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2