Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Mayim needs to stop sounding like she wants to laugh every time they give a correct response.

I did like her reaction to no one getting the Gettysburg address.  It was like "really, none of you?  Morons".  Which was exactly what I was thinking.

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Seems like there were a lot of TSes tonight...I got Geiger, Copernicus (missed DD), Nivea, Ron Howard, Gettysburg Address, shrewd, and Luke.

I didn't get shrewd (I was like "is that a dormouse?") or Nivea, which I completely forgot existed, but I did get all the rest.  Ron Howard surprised me almost as much as the Gettysburg Address.  I also got Nez Perce, although I probably would've pronounced it wrong, the wind, Amazon and the Golden Apples.

FJ was an instaget because of the lemurs.  Madagascar is the only place where they are a native species.  Plus, I loved King Julien on The Penguins of Madagascar.

• Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get shrewd (I was like "is that a dormouse?") or Nivea, which I completely forgot existed, but I did get all the rest.  Ron Howard surprised me almost as much as the Gettysburg Address.  I also got Nez Perce, although I probably would've pronounced it wrong, the wind, Amazon and the Golden Apples.

I might have been helped on Nivea because with all the extra handwashing in the last year+, I've taken to carrying a little tin of Nivea hand cream in my back pocket (especially when the weather was cold), and then I got a big jar so I can refill it. It's really thick and keeping it in my pocket warms it up just enough to make it soft enough to rub in easily. It is, indeed, "snowy white."

image.png.76681012d16d62893dd28dcb7be1fa5f.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Any other horse person (ahem, @Mindthinkr) get that easy TS of Nez Perce? My first horse was the breed created by the Nez Perce, an Appaloosa. Chief Joseph is famous for saying "I will fight no more forever." Well, famous with everyone except today's Jeopardy players.

I knew Chief Joseph, and I knew the quote. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure about the tribe. I knew enough to know the contestants' guesses were wrong. I think I was hindered because until the show, I'm not sure I ever heard "Nez Perce" out loud, so I didn't know it's pronunciation and likely forgot the name of the tribe because of it. (of course, now that I've heard it - it's like "duh" it's said like it's spelled)

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure I ever heard "Nez Perce" out loud, so I didn't know it's pronunciation

Imagine Alex Trebek saying it!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Gah, I did terrible tonight. Didn't run any categories (I got at least one in each, though), and only got one DD (Surrealism), but I got the cowl, ember, and Benazir Bhutto TSes and FJ was an instaget. 

53% + 41% + FJ = 48% overall

• Love 1

I did NOT have a good night.

I said herald for FJ but knew it wasn't right.

I got the missed clues of Alexander, cowl, ember (which I had not heard of the last 5 months being called that), cubism and fauvism.

I got the entire category of Bible right, and the entire partial category of pop psychology wrong.

• Love 1

I had to think about FJ for a few seconds, but I got it in time to write it down.  

I'm glad end woman got to play in FJ in the end, but I'm sad that our champ lost.  Not that I don't like the new champ, mind you, but I would have liked to see Robin continue.

The only TS I got were Alexander and Shakespeare.  I was surprised at both of those being TS, especially Shakespeare!  Middle guy, the English professor,  should be embarrassed at missing that.  

• Love 1

I knew the TSs of Cubism and Fauvism, but anything that wasn't well-entrenched in my brain escaped me. So, I did get Hendrix, but for the " barbarian ruler who had terrorized Europe," instead of the correct "Attila the Hun" what filled my mind was "Hagar the Horrible" LOL, which I knew was not what I was trying to come up with.

And as soon as I realized "I'D LIKE TO BUY" all had responses rhyming with "vowel" I easily answered them (so, the last 3).
Would Alex have pointed that out about the category, and, if so, would Mayim if she had known? I mean, shouldn't they have told her about that category, or would Alex read through all the correct responses in preparation before the show taping?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And as soon as I realized "I'D LIKE TO BUY" all had responses rhyming with "vowel" I easily answered them (so, the last 3).

"Eh, I never made the connection." --TM Long-time listener, first-time caller to Mr. Obvious

FJ category of newspapers ... right up my alley. I love newspapers and I've worked for several. So, I went through all the newspapers across the country: Star, Times, Observer, Journal, Post, Tribune ... none of them were right so I went with Observer. That it was Tribune was a big "DUH" moment since I've gotten the Chicago Tribune since forever, and the radio station I've listened to since forever was owned by the Tribune Company and was located in the Tribune Tower. You know, where the Chicago Tribune was printed.

Of course, it's common knowledge that my bulb does not burn bright around here so there's that.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Would Alex have pointed that out about the category,

No, that's the kind of thing they don't point out (which was one of Alex's arguments against board hopping, since contestants wouldn't notice when clues built on each other from top to bottom, or when there was an unstated pattern providing an additional hint, like in this case), but when it would become clear the contestants had caught on, Alex would say something like, "Sensing a theme here?"

I loved John's "I'm also disappointed" when Shakespeare was a TS and Mayim said she was a little disappointed.

I did not have a good first round.  I only ran trees.  I missed three in film trilogies, two each in European history and the Bible, and one each in I'd Like to Buy and vowels.

In DJ, I managed to run a whopping two categories - Pop Psychology and It's All About Her.  But I only missed six clues across the rest of them, so this was one of the unusual games where I did better in the second round than the first. 

And FJ was an instaget, so I definitely got better as the game went on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't realize it until the last two. I was pretty slow to catch on. It was like "wait...do these answers rhyme?!"

I ran "It's all about Her" - so that was nice. The trilogies stumped me even though I knew all the films (though I did manage to get The Godfather). My brain would just not wrap itself around the clue in enough time.

No FJ. I should have figured it out, but I didn't. If I'd ever heard of a New York Tribune I might have, but I only know the Times and the Post.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't notice it until just now!

Alex did not explain tricky things like that, at least not always.  As I found out to my own cost.  When I was on the show, one of our categories was called "Book of the Month."  It turned out that all of the correct responses were the names of months.  None of the three of us realized that until after the category was over, and we started talking about it during the next commercial break.  Had I known that, I would have refrained from making a couple of bad guesses.

Reddit made fun of me for that, I can tell you!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I got lots of answers but did not get any ts's.

Did not get FJ.  Like the former champ I came up with Senator, than changed to Advocate.  Tribune did not enter my head.

Mayim's laughter at so many questions and answers was annoyingly excessive. 

• Love 3

Rewatching this game just now before deleting it, I noticed that Mayim and Robin were both barely containing their laughter over having noticed the "I'D LIKE TO BUY" category had responses rhyming with "vowel" which seemed unfair to me, but I guess that's no different than any other contestant running a category because they are familiar with the subject.
Watching last year's (June 11) rerun just now, I was easily able to run a category that had 3 TSs, "TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW," of which I am not particularly proud. 
Recognizing the rhyming "I'D LIKE TO BUY" category responses is a tiny bit more of a feat. Maybe if I'd been born a generation or 2 later I'd have been a rapper.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Reddit made fun of me for that, I can tell you!

Well, if I remember correctly, we were all kind to you here if that's any consolation.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Mayim's laughter at so many questions and answers was annoyingly excessive. 

It felt like she was reading the answers and catching the puns for the first time, which maybe she was. I thought it was a hoot. Different strokes I guess.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

No FJ. I should have figured it out, but I didn't. If I'd ever heard of a New York Tribune I might have, but I only know the Times and the Post.

Too bad Chicago (Tribune) is in fly-over country, hey?

• Love 7

I just saw this posted by Andy on his site TheJeopardyFan.com, for Thursday, June 3. It might apply to some of you.

"Important note: Due to coverage yesterday of the debate for the New York City Democratic mayoral primary, this game will air on Friday, June 4 in New York City. If you are in New York, yesterday’s game airs tonight."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't realize it until the last two. I was pretty slow to catch on. It was like "wait...do these answers rhyme?!"

I think it took me three clues to get the rhyme pattern. I got all but Powell, which just didn't come in time.

I googled out of curiosity (since I live not too far from NYC and didn't think there was a current paper by that name). The original New York Tribune was founded by Horace Greeley and published from 1841 to 1924, then merged with another paper to become the New York Herald Tribune until 1966. A "new" NY Tribune ran from 1976 to 1991.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, if I remember correctly, we were all kind to you here if that's any consolation.

Yeah, everyone here was pretty nice.

My old hometown newspaper was called the Tribune, so it was fairly easy for me.  I thought Mayim Bialik pronounced "newspaper" in an odd way.  Like it was "noose-paper."

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I thought Mayim Bialik pronounced "newspaper" in an odd way.  Like it was "noose-paper."

Kind of like how Chicago natives say "yoose guys" when asking if yoose guys want to go to a movie.

• LOL 7
On 6/1/2021 at 10:27 PM, HyeChaps said:

Wednesday night there will be a mayoral debate on at 7:00 on the New York City station.

In the past they have shown the proper Jeopardy at 2:00 a.m. in place of the usual rerun.

Tuesday night a gubernatorial debate pre-empted both Wheel and Jeopardy, but both were broadcast in the wee hours on Wednesday, and my DVR caught it. So I watched Tuesday and Wednesday out of order.

I knew several of Tuesday's TSs, and knew Nez Perce.  Also got Madagascar, although what first came to mind was in Life of Pi. Fortunately remembered those were meerkats, not lemurs, in time.  

Didn't do as well Wednesday, and did not come up with FJ.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Grrr.  Jeopardy was not on Channel 110 in New York at 7:00, even though the website said so.

They are airing the episode Saturday night at 7.

(edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 4:47 AM, GreekGeek said:

I never heard of frog's hair. Is it a regional expression? It sounds like hen's teeth, i.e. nonexistent. 

I'm from Tennessee and as I had heard the expression, I also wondered if it was a southern expression.  Actually, I had never heard it until I went to a TN college.  I spent much of my childhood in Florida and Michigan.  The first week a girl who is still oneof my best friends said someone or something was:  "fine as frog hair.  Split three ways!"  

Mayim is great.   I'd rank the guest hosts as 1)  Buzzy/Mayim (tie) 2) Ken Jennings/Katie Couric/Aaron Rodgers; 3) the rest of the field.  But my heart belongs to Ken.  

ETA:  as is usual for me with FJ, I owe my correct answers tonight and last night to classic movies.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 4

Somewhere, Alex Trebek is smiling today, although maybe with a touch of disappointment.

The Postman Always Rings Twice clue referred to Albert Camus.  Alex used to LOVE pronouncing Camus' name as only he could.  Neither contestant Julia nor host Mayim used a French accent with enough gusto.

Ditto FJ with the category 17th Century Frenchmen and the answer Richelieu, although again, nobody said Richelieu with strong enough French accent.

• Love 10

Let me know when Julia loses.  I couldn’t even finish watching Thursday’s game because of her histrionics, facial contortions and grimaces, and twisting.  Can you tell I can’t stand her?  Wednesday’s FJ  was an instaget, along with Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce.  Not a fan of Appaloosas though.  I never met one that I got along with.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
28 minutes ago, opus said:

It looks like NYC is airing yesterday’s episode today, today’s tomorrow, and Fridays’s on Saturday.

Yep. Guess I'm watching from Philly for the rest of the week. Smaller picture and, I'm noticing tonight, slightly out of focus. Fun!

J!: Ran Fathers of Invention and License to Whatever, got the DD and TSes of Sax and Queensberry. The latter thanks to this song: 

DJ: Didn't run anything or get any TS but got four each in books and presidents.

Got 2/3 DDs and no FJ here. 59% for the game. Meh.

Sorry, but new champ was annoying me. And what is so funny?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

i got FJ but wasn't at all confident in my answer as I thought he was probably earlier than the 17th century, but a right answer is a right answer.

I got the missed clues o elephant, hovercraft, earl, Sax (after Saxon was rule incorrect), Queensberry (sp?), Haddassah (sp?), Ghandi, sigma and zinc.

I got the entire category of inventors right.

But, deserve a head hit for going blank on Goebbels.  Obviously knew it, but it wouldn't come out.  I would have ran that category also, but for that.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yep. Guess I'm watching from Philly for the rest of the week. Smaller picture and, I'm noticing tonight, slightly out of focus. Fun!

J!: Ran Fathers of Invention and License to Whatever, got the DD and TSes of Sax and Queensberry. The latter thanks to this song: 

DJ: Didn't run anything or get any TS but got four each in books and presidents.

Got 2/3 DDs and no FJ here. 59% for the game. Meh.

Sorry, but new champ was annoying me. And what is so funny?

Agreed....she is very knowledgable,  but whoever beats her will be my hero

• Love 12

I don't suppose "Who was the bad guy in the movie 'The Three Musketeers'" would have counted for FJ today, right?  I just could not come up with his name.

But I did get hovercraft, Queensberry, A Room With A View, Being There, Gibralter, and sigma.  

Incidentally, those barns are not used for the cultivating of tobacco, but for the drying tobacco after it's harvested.

Not a fan of the new champ.    

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I got FJ because he was mentioned in a teen romance novel I read in the 90's. Funny the things you remember.

I can't stand Julia either. I don't usually remember the names of contestants, but I made sure to remember hers just so I can post about how annoying she is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Sometimes I'm like Julia, and being on Jeopardy might have been one of those situations.
Pretty amazing that she's an attorney and managed to get on Jeopardy and managed to win at least one game. 

• Love 2

This was an archive game for me, since I'll be watching something else.

I pre-called Mary McDonnell when Playing President was announced.

I ran inventors, 8-letter words, licenses, and sports in the first round, but I missed three each in the other two.  In DJ, I only ran monuments and Nobel, but only missed five across the other categories (technically six, but I'm giving myself hyacinth, as I'd have known it if I could've seen the picture).  FJ took me far longer than it should have, and without the Think music I don't know if I technically got it in time.  Let's say yes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, those barns are not used for the cultivating of tobacco, but for the drying tobacco after it's harvested.

True. However, I'm familiar with tobacco and how it's grown, harvested and dried, and I have to say I've never seen a tee-pee-shaped "hut" barn for drying tobacco. Maybe that was a photo from India or somewhere. Side note: You know when you pass a tobacco plot in the spring; once the seed has been sown, the long rows are covered with a white cheese-cloth type fabric. You also know when you pass a tobacco farm because the curing barns look like this photo, they all have slats that open so the air can circulate freely. Believe it or not (believe it!) tobacco is grown in Wisconsin.

tobaccoBarn.thumb.jpg.7afc1727aafebc26db1c2e0736e5a6fa.jpg

Thank you writers for the wonderful shout out to Alex with the answer of Cam-MOOOO. It actually made me a bit nostalgic for the "old days."

And another big thank you goes to Alexandre Dumas for giving me a correct FJ guess.

Lastly, thank you to New Champion Julia for your enthusiasm and joy for the game. You brightened my day for those short few minutes, and cleared the black cloud of depression that has been following me these days. You made me smile and feel happy, at least for a little while. I hope you remain champion for many days to come.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

In the first daily double today, shouldn’t the contestant have been able to bet $1000.  She had $400 at the time and bet it all, but Maiym never said she could bet $1000.  And she answered correctly but lost out on another $600 because I’m pretty sure she would have  bet larger  amount.  Luckily she ended up winning anyway. 

• Love 7

Could not stand Julia.  Hard to watch her.  I'm not against some emotion but ever answer she was acting like she was surprised she was correct.  

I do like mayim bialik though as host which surprises me. The giggling with each answer was annoying one night but I could live with her as host.  

Also the Wednesday champ, I forget his name, even though he won bet badly in FJ.   He was $2000 behind first and then way ahead of 3rd.  He bet too much, should have done like $4000, enough to beat first place with a correct answer but still win and stay ahead of 3rd if he was wrong.  He bet like $8000, too much, if he missed FJ the 3rd place girl would have won.   First place had to bet big, at least 9k to stay ahead of him if they both got FJ. 

• Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

In the first daily double today, shouldn’t the contestant have been able to bet $1000.  She had $400 at the time and bet it all, but Maiym never said she could bet $1000.

While contestants SHOULD know they can bet 1000 in the J round, in the excitement and pressure of the game, it can easily be forgotten. IMO Mayim made a serious error by not saying she could bet up to 1000. Players should always be reminded of that rule, and that's the job of the host.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 13
33 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

In the first daily double today, shouldn’t the contestant have been able to bet $1000.  She had $400 at the time and bet it all, but Maiym never said she could bet $1000.  And she answered correctly but lost out on another $600 because I’m pretty sure she would have  bet larger  amount.  Luckily she ended up winning anyway. 

The contestant who missed out on that extra $600 was Grace. I was surprised she wasn't reminded that she could wager up to $1,000.

• Love 2

I thought it was great that Jennifer Love Hewitt won tonight. She doesn’t have a series on (that I’m aware of) so the money will come in very handy. That said, I wish Jennifer would stop hamming it up. This is Jeopardy. It isn’t The Price is Right. Calm the F down. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

I knew Julia was going to be in trouble on this forum - ha! Though I actually did laugh when she got one right and hesitated and then said “Great...?” like she wasn’t sure it was.

I got FJ because of Monty Python’s “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition” sketch. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:
5 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

In the first daily double today, shouldn’t the contestant have been able to bet $1000.  She had $400 at the time and bet it all, but Maiym never said she could bet $1000.

While contestants SHOULD know they can bet 1000 in the J round, in the excitement and pressure of the game, it can easily be forgotten. IMO Mayim made a serious error by not saying she could bet up to 1000. Players should always be reminded of that rule, and that's the job of the host.

I’ve noticed other guest hosts making the mistake of not telling the player who lands on first-round DD with less than $1K that they can bet up to that much.
Not sure which of these: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7028   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7002   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6967   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6934    j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6927   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6915   j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6903   
 —or if they chose instead of wagering $1K to “make it a true Daily Double.”

This may have also happened in DJ when the contestant landed on a DD with less than $2K and wasn’t offered aloud at the moment the option to bet that much. Not sure if this was the case: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7021 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7025 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7009 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6981 or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6960  or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6942   or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6931   or here: j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6916   
—or if they just chose to bet conservatively because of it being later in the game and/or because of the category.

• Useful 1