Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

46 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked Evan, but that DJ  DD was the beginning of his downfall. He wagered $4K, but then with the clue of

• "In Central America, thought to be from the name of a local leader & the Spanish word for water"

he didn't manage to go from "agua" to "Nicaragua."

I didn't get that because somehow my brain processed Central America as Central Africa and I couldn't think of a country in Africa with Agua in it.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I did know that he was named for Buzz Aldrin (though I didn't know his original name), but there just wasn't enough in the clue for me to get there - and a non-human or animated character never even occurred to me. There are millions of movie characters, and a significant number that are related to space in some way. I couldn't run through them all in 30 seconds.

I confidently said Moon Doggie. Then had Marvin the Martian as back up. Buzz Lightyear I wouldn't have come up with in a zillion light years. And I've seen all the Toy Story movies.

I'll miss Katie, she is one of my all-time favorite players. Loved everything about her ... except her sizeable FJ bet today. But, nothing ventured I guess. Given her occupation and location, it's quite possible we share the same alma mater. Perhaps that's why I'm so drawn to her. Anyway, congrats on a great run Katie. You're the best. I just wish you could have made it to four ... and then five (and more).

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

Instaget FJ for me tonight. I liked the middle guy so I was fine with him winning, though Katie was great too. 

I think Savannah thought Katie made up her FJ answer by the way she said “We’d all like to know that!” 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I think Savannah thought Katie made up her FJ answer by the way she said “We’d all like to know that!” 

I also got that impression - but I was more curious as to which real life person she thought Osmosis Jones was named after 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I also got that impression - but I was more curious as to which real life person she thought Osmosis Jones was named after 😉

Osmosis Carson

• LOL 13
56 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I did know that he was named for Buzz Aldrin (though I didn't know his original name), but there just wasn't enough in the clue for me to get there - and a non-human or animated character never even occurred to me. There are millions of movie characters, and a significant number that are related to space in some way. I couldn't run through them all in 30 seconds.

34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I confidently said Moon Doggie. Then had Marvin the Martian as back up. Buzz Lightyear I wouldn't have come up with in a zillion light years. And I've seen all the Toy Story movies.

Okay. Now I am not embarrassed to admit my brain got stuck on Moon Unit, even though she is an actor and not a character.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Maybe she thought this guy was real?

I thought the name "Osmosis Jones" was too bizarre to make up randomly, so I googled it and found out it's an actual movie! Apologies if you knew that already, but it seemed Savannah didn't.

I got Mutts, nitroglycerin, Anais Nin, the Nicaragua DD, and The Black Stallion (which is probably better known as a movie than a book).

Congrats to Sarah! I liked her story of her husband's travel tattoos. She reminded me a bit of Nancy Donohue, the Hecks' "perfect" neighbor on The Middle.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

and apparently I know nothing about Guy Fawkes.

My DD lives in England, and I’ve been there for Guy Fawkes Bonfire Night, so I ran that category!

• Love 5
On 6/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, GreekGeek said:

Tonight I knew grace period, the 1890's, chicken run (also the name of a cartoon movie starring Mel Gibson, or his voice), American Buffalo, craven, and prognosticate.

Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit, Creature Comforts, A Close Shave, etc, etc.  If you've never seen an Aardman Animation production you haven't lived.

3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Gosh, another really Easy FJ!  At least for me it was....I thought everybody knew the story of Buzz Lightyear :)

Not me!

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I thought the clue was poorly written and by the time I worked out what they were asking for, the buzzer went.

("A character who was going to be called Lunar Larry became him, inspired by the name of a real person.")

• Love 2

I just got home, so it was an archive game for me tonight.

I wasn't as bad as last night, but it was a meh performance.  I only ran stupid answers and middle in the first round, missing three in comics, two in Fawkes, and one each in states and scientists.  In DJ, I only ran twins & triplets and pop music, missing three in desert island reads, and one each in the other three.  I didn't get FJ; I've heard the name, but I've never seen the films.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought the name "Osmosis Jones" was too bizarre to make up randomly, so I googled it and found out it's an actual movie! Apologies if you knew that already, but it seemed Savannah didn't.

Thank you, @GreekGeek! I was sure she made it up. So the titular character of Osmosis Jones is voiced by Chris Rock, and it's a "live-action/animated buddy cop action comedy film" with a rating in the 50s, which wouldn't turn me off, but it's panned for its "gross-out humor in the film's live-action sequences" (wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis_Jones#Reception), so I'll pass.

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

I thought the clue was poorly written and by the time I worked out what they were asking for, the buzzer went.

("A character who was going to be called Lunar Larry became him, inspired by the name of a real person.")

After further consideration, I'm calling the clue "tricky" or maybe "deliberately convoluted" rather than poorly written. If the clue writers have some algorithm that tells them when to make the clue more difficult, I'm guessing it was triggered for Buzz Lightyear --which I might have missed anyway, even if the clue was more straightforward. 

(edited)

I Googled Anaïs Nin to remind myself who she was and the photo used was the first image result returned for me.  I guess after all those jaunts in Austria and so on, sometimes the Clue Crew has to get it done in a hurry. ;)

I cleared "Middle" and "State Facts," assuming I would have been given a "be more specific" for "whiskey" and come up with "bourbon" quickly.  I seem to have trouble being specific around alcohol.  I'd better get to draining and learn something.

Under "Stupid Answers," I saw "Ascanio Sobrero created this by mixing something with an acid" and felt very proud of myself for seeing "ascorbic [acid]" in the letters of his name.  I wonder what they did for scurvy before he invented Vitamin C in 1846!  D'oh.

Are contestants responding to prompts intended rhetorically during FJ, like "what did you wager," more frequently than in the past or am I imagining it?  It's as though some guest hosts leave a slightly longer pause than Alex did before the reveal, allowing nerves players to fill that split second.  This doesn't bother me, I just feel like I noticed it.

6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I also thought Katie had just made something wacky up.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

Not a great game for me.  My only ts's were Pepys and largesse.  If I'd had one more second I would have gotten Nicaragua

I did not think of animated movies for FJ, not that it would have helped.  My mind went in a totally different direction and I came up with Mad (looney) Max.

G'bye Katie, ya done good.  Hello, Sarah.

• Love 5

I call foul. The golf assistant is a caddy, not a caddie, so the double-d is NOT in the middle.

I got Buzz Lightyear just before the contestants started to reveal. It certainly wouldn't have counted on the show, but I'm gonna claim it for Primetimer's FJ thread. LOL.

As Mayim would have said, "C'mon, guys..."  How can you NOT root for a guy who was BORN during a Jeopardy! episode?  I did like the passport stamp tattoo story, though.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I call foul. The golf assistant is a caddy, not a caddie, so the double-d is NOT in the middle.

That's what I thought, but I looked it up in Merriam-Webster dictionary and they have it spelled as caddie.  As does dictionary.com, however dictionary.com does give an alternate spelling of caddy.

• Love 2
(edited)

17 hours ago, Bliss said:

I've called it the "bizarre" times... because so many bizarre things happened in such a short period of time... going from memory: the Cubs win (a good "bizarre"), tRump (!!!!), Super Bowl upset, and in my own little corner of the world, I went through the absolute worst family upset (will never fully recover - but hopefully am almost healed from the trauma). I actually had one day in Oct/16 when my computer died, my dishwasher died, my freezer died, my stove started beeping for no reason (it died shortly after), my car died... seriously! All in one day! It was my own little armageddon here... and then shortly afterwards, my two cats disappeared. Hell in a handbasket sounds almost too kind to describe the chaos. Hang in there, Saber!

I think there was even some 'bizarre'ness going on at J! ;-)

We had a similar experience, starting out with a scary diagnosis (but treatable, so my husband is still here), refrigerator and major leak occurring in the same week (requiring workers to be inside our house to replace pipes and floors - and set up heater units that blasted for two weeks), and a frightening fire that decimated a town not far from us (impacting friends) and sent refugees to our town. I think I've blocked the rest out. I think maybe 'bizarre'ness' was the name of the game for all of us. (not to diminish your experience - it sounds worse than mine)

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of nitrogylcerine (sp?), Samuel Pepys and Black Stallion.

I said "Peeps??" - think they'd give it to me? LOL

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I do find Savannah Guthrie's wardrobe to be less obvious than Mayim's, which is a good thing for Jeopardy.

Obvious?

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

Yeah, I knew Buzz was named for Buzz, but the clue was so vague and gave me nothing to really narrow it down to - even though I've seen all the films.

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I think I knew it from my kids - I'd certainly heard of it.

Surprising even myself, I nearly ran the Fawkes category - missing the most obvious answer (Tower of London). I ran Middle, precalling several of the answers.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said "Peeps??" - think they'd give it to me? LOL

I don't know how they would tell the difference.  It wasn't a spelling category. LOL.

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I do find Savannah Guthrie's wardrobe to be less obvious than Mayim's, which is a good thing for Jeopardy.

Obvious?

Responding in the Who is...Today’s Guest Host? thread here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/114437-who-istoday’s-guest-host/?do=findComment&comment=6844976
mostly in an attempt to not appear to be cluttering up the main thread with my musings as I am now apparently a "top poster" according to the graphic in the top right of this page.
Apologies offered while I go write on the chalk board of my middle-school self's mind's eye 300 times: I will not post so much on the Jeopardy thread.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I haven’t been home, but I’ve been playing. I got a few TSs and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis the other night. Last night I ran Scientists and the middle “DD” as well as coming up with the missed DD of Nicaragua. I knew all but one of the Fawkes category. I was with @saber5055 in the Marvin the Martian territory. Something about the clue confused me and I didn’t come up with Buss Lightyear. 

• Love 2

Oh, that's how you pronounce Anais? I knew the answer but I guess would've been ruled incorrect if I said A-niece, which is how I thought it was pronounced. Or if I'd said "Nin" would they have asked for more information. And would I have been sharp enough to say "Kit Nin"?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, ABay said:

Oh, that's how you pronounce Anais? I knew the answer but I guess would've been ruled incorrect if I said A-niece, which is how I thought it was pronounced. Or if I'd said "Nin" would they have asked for more information. And would I have been sharp enough to say "Kit Nin"?

I think Nin would have been enough on its own, but I'm not sure your mispronunciation of Anaïs (aka Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell) is unreasonable for the spelling. It doesn't seem to add or subtract any letters.

51 minutes ago, ABay said:

Oh, that's how you pronounce Anais? I knew the answer but I guess would've been ruled incorrect if I said A-niece, which is how I thought it was pronounced. 

I think they would've given it to you as long as you said "Nin". Heck, I've always pronounced it "Ah-nah-EES" so I would've been in even more trouble than you! LOL

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ABay said:

Oh, that's how you pronounce Anais?

I know thanks to Jewel ("Morning Song" lyrics: And you can be Henry Miller and I'll be Anais Nin, except this time it'll be even better - we'll stay together in the end).  Prior to that song coming out, I'd only ever seen her name written, so wasn't sure how it was pronounced (it has been so long, I don't remember how I said it in my head back then).

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I think I owned the dress she wore on Tuesday (green, crepe-y, ruffled front) in 1981.

I was also thinking 1980s for that dress.  But I like the outfits she wore Monday and Wednesday.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Nothing to LOL about--"Peeps" is how "Pepys" is pronounced.

Well, what do you know. I guess I must have dredged that pronunciation up from some neuron with a little college era memory. In my current cluttered/befuddled brain, all I knew for sure is that it was the name for little yellow chickens that taste awful (imo). Cool. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Emily's first DD was "coloratura".  Not only did I not know that, I don't think I've ever heard of a coloratura.  I learned something today!

For FJ, several small counties occurred to me, including Lichtenstein.  But I wasn't sure.

They all missed The Monkey's Paw!  

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 4

My cable came back!

J!: Got the DD, and Rio Grande and humble pie TSes. Ran Geography (of all things!), Plane Train or Automobile, and Language of food, missed one in Music and two in each of the other categories for 83%!

DJ: Not so great, only 63%. Got one DD and no TS. (I also could only come up with Jerry Brown.)

FJ: I got it but it was a guess. Just trying to think of a tiny country that might have something called Vaduz in it. 74% for the game. Best of the week so far.

I was rooting for Matt because his story of drinking with a monkey made me laugh.

I'm not normally into horror stories but I'd watch Duck Tales from the Crypt.

• Love 7

No Jeopardy here tonight as they are showing the US Open Golf. I went on the Jeopardy archives and got the FJ of Liechtenstein. When I was there I went to the post office to get their special passport stamp. Then I stopped in a grocery store to get some stuff and the checkout lady just kept ignoring me and letting everyone behind me go in front of me. I don’t know if I did something wrong, but it seemed like a very unfriendly place. I was disappointed in that, but it was beautiful. 

• Love 2

I very confidently and wrongly said Lithuania.   I was sort of close.

I got the missed clues of Rio Grande, .tv, The Monkey's Paw (love that story) and 1790.

i got the entire category of Tom right.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another archive game for me, and I rebounded from two disappointing performances in a row.

The 200 TS surprised me, as did Rio Grande a bit, along with no one even venturing a guess on the 1790 clue. 

If it wasn't for the TV category, I'd have done well in the first round; I only missed three others in all the other categories combined, but missed another three in that one.  I did very well in DJ, though, only missing four.  And periodically quizzing myself on capitals paid off again, making FJ an instaget.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I waffled between Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, but decided on Liechtenstein in the end.  And even though it didn't matter in the end, the end guy should have bet zero.

I also got the TS of Rio Grande, .tv, Lost In Space Ghost, The Mikado, The Monkey's Paw (great story, but so incredibly creepy!), and 200.  

Emily reminded me a bit of Emma Stone.

• Love 3

I knew Rio Grande and was surprised none of them did, but now I see that they are all Easterners. 

I got FJ because since I started watching regularly, every time the clue hinted at a small European country and I wrongly guessed Monaco it was Leichtenstein, so this time I went for Leichtenstein, especially because "Vaduz" and "Leichtenstein" both sounded Germanic to me --or at least linguistically related.

Today I listened to "How Uncle Jamie Broke Jeopardy (Update)" (npr.org/2021/06/15/1007007183/how-uncle-jamie-broke-jeopardy-update) which explains James Holzhauer's clue selection and wagering strategy in detail, and so I was feeling sorry for Sarah having not listened too. She should have wagered more in DD and FJ. 

But Emily seems like she could go far just with her breadth of knowledge, so I'm glad she won. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I got FJ because since I started watching regularly, every time the clue hinted at a small European country and I wrongly guessed Monaco it was Leichtenstein,

Exactly. This wasn't exactly a difficult one for regular watchers. In fact, it was an answer not long ago, my short-term-memory loss hadn't blocked it yet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Good day for me.  I cleared Potpourri and Language of Food, and am sure I would have done Music "C"lass too if I'd been paying attention enough to notice the "C."  So we'll count it.  Why not? ;)

Unfortunately, I said Monaco for final.  2019 population quotes I quickly looked up for Monaco and Liechtenstein are not quite 600 apart, so no help to be found there.  I'll just have to remember Vaduz for next time.

I seem to like sharing music lately.  Since "Three Little Maids from School" and Joan Sutherland both came up, here she is doing it with Dinah Shore and Ella Fitzgerald, with a bonus number.  Very fun.

2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Emily's first DD was "coloratura".  Not only did I not know that, I don't think I've ever heard of a coloratura.  I learned something today!

Some more, erm, color: "coloratura" can refer to virtuosic singing with runs, trills, and other embellishments, or to one who employs that style, usually a soprano.  The Queen of the Night's "rage aria" from Mozart's "Magic Flute" is a famous example, especially sections such as between about :40 and 1:20 in this recording

by the German soprano Edda Moser, which I like very much.  I was delighted to learn that it was included on a "golden record" aboard Voyager 1 and 2 as an example of human music.  I would have used Sutherland as my example, but I have never cared for her interpretation.  (As if I could do any better!)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

I got Final Jeopardy from listening to a BBC Radio show called Cabin Pressure. It's the story of a small charter airline (or "airdot", because you can't put one plane in a line...). Each of the 27 episodes is named after a destination (the last two episodes are Zurich Parts 1 and 2). Vaduz was a significant episode, as one of the passengers was the (fictional) Princess of Lichtenstein.

The show is a treat for the ears and the funny bone. The main characters are the owner and stewardess Carolyn Knapp-Shappey (Stephanie Cole), her not-so-bright son and steward Arthur (John Finnemore, also creator of the show), Captain Martin Crieff (Benedict Cumberbatch), and First Officer Douglas Richardson (Roger Allam).

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

I got Final Jeopardy from listening to a BBC Radio show called Cabin Pressure. It's the story of a small charter airline (or "airdot", because you can't put one plane in a line...). Each of the 27 episodes is named after a destination (the last two episodes are Zurich Parts 1 and 2). Vaduz was a significant episode, as one of the passengers was the (fictional) Princess of Lichtenstein.

The show is a treat for the ears and the funny bone. The main characters are the owner and stewardess Carolyn Knapp-Shappey (Stephanie Cole), her not-so-bright son and steward Arthur (John Finnemore, also creator of the show), Captain Martin Crieff (Benedict Cumberbatch), and First Officer Douglas Richardson (Roger Allam).

This is extremely tempting.  Thank you for sharing.  I didn't know they were still making radio shows like this.  My father loves "Waiting for God," a BBC sitcom from the mid-90s, with Stephanie as a nursing home resident scheming with her eventual partner against the proprietors.  Maybe this will be something to listen to together when next we visit.

Incidentally, I think I read that Vaduz is one of the few national capitols without its own airport of any size.  It is served by Zurich in real life.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

This is extremely tempting.  Thank you for sharing.  I didn't know they were still making radio shows like this.  My father loves "Waiting for God," a BBC sitcom from the mid-90s, with Stephanie as a nursing home resident scheming with her eventual partner against the proprietors.  Maybe this will be something to listen to together when next we visit.

Incidentally, I think I read that Vaduz is one of the few national capitols without its own airport of any size.  It is served by Zurich in real life.

The show broadcast from 2008 to 2014, but you can find it on CD. In his blog, John Finnemore mentioned that Vaduz didn't have an airport, but he needed an airport in a city that started with a V!

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Here's a fun fact that will never show up as a J! clue: when Cabin Pressure was first broadcast, a relatively unknown Benedict Cumberbatch was one of the cast.  According to the Beeb (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44565410), after his fame subsequent to the first series of Sherlock, "'the applications for [studio audience] tickets came largely from women under the age of 25,' says [John] Finnemore.  And those who worked on Cabin Pressure remember fans gathered outside the studio at 07:00 on cold, misty mornings - not a normal occurrence for a radio sitcom."

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Roaster said:

For FJ, several small counties occurred to me, including Lichtenstein.  But I wasn't sure.

They all missed The Monkey's Paw!  

Some syllables came out of my mouth - starting with "Col" but they were a mangled mess of nonsense. I'd heard of it, but obviously never said it out loud or absorbed the way it was spelled. 😂

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Exactly. This wasn't exactly a difficult one for regular watchers. In fact, it was an answer not long ago, my short-term-memory loss hadn't blocked it yet.

Apparently my short term memory is crap, since I'm a regular watcher. I was searching for Andorra and ended up with San Marino.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

When I saw the FJ! category I figured I was toast, but once again, thanks to Rick Steves' Europe program, I got it. I saw a show recently where he visited the 5 tiny countries of Europe. The population plus the castle got me to Liechtenstein.

• Love 3
(edited)

The host only said 'you got it' twice last night.  I'd never heard of her before this, but I'm kind of enjoying her as host.  I liked when she said "obviously" after the TS of Dating Game of Thrones.

Edited by Mean Machine
  • Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

The host only said 'you got it' twice last night.  I'd never heard of her before this, but I'm kind of enjoying her as host.  I liked when she said "obviously" after the TS of Dating Game of Thrones.

I'm not fond of "obviously" in any context. (well, in an ironic way maybe) It's a lesson I learned when I was a writer and a teacher. I got feedback that when I used it, I sometimes came off as arrogant, without meaning to. So it's a word I've pretty much excised from my vocabulary, at least professionally. (I also learned I could be a good facsimile of being a patient person, which eventually made me a smidge more patient).

But I must admit I think Savannah's doing well, despite the fact I don't care for her voice - I decided it's not a vocal grind as much as the register it's in.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8