Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

There was nothing to work with in FJ, you either knew it or you didn't, there was there to reason from.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

Going into the last TOC (2019) everyone expected James Holzhauer to win easily.  It was predictable, and he did win.

This year's has been more interesting for sure.

Another thing J! used to do in tournaments:  the questions in the first week would be too easy, and then the second week was appropriately hard.  It seems (to me anyway) that this year they had tough questions/clues even from the start.  Which I appreciate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

None of them were ever told "That would be like taking coals to Newcastle"?

Today is the first I've heard that expression and I've already forgotten it. I''m guessing some writers' moms said it to them growing up though.

Thank you @853fisher for your insightful views and the ability to see beyond what's an "easy mark" to what lies beneath, the grey under the black and white. People are inherently vicious (IMO) and SM lets them dog pile while hiding in anonymity. This quote was in a news feed I got yesterday, and I found it interesting: "You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."  -- Audrey Hepburn

I remember "Hebrides" being an answer not long ago, and the contestant on that episode also wrongly answered "Shetlands." It was the weirdest deja vu moment, it almost made me dizzy. Maybe I had a Flash Forward and "saw" it then ...

Got a laugh out of the Wienermobile photo. When I worked at an ad agency, I got my boyfriend a job driving the Wienermobile, and also got him a gig appearing as Papa Smurf, in full P. Smurf costume.

Shout out to me and my FJ Contest scores with the answer of "Binary."

Kudos to the player who actually could recognize and name a Dandie Dinmont terrier.

• Love 10

I got the answer of speak, but disagreed with their translation. Sordo in Italian means deaf. I know they mean about the same thing in this context, but...I got subtle. Just that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've never heard that expression.  

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Today is the first I've heard that expression and I've already forgotten it. I''m guessing some writers' moms said it to them growing up though..

I absolutely knew “coals to Newcastle”  but I have no idea why. I couldn’t cite a literary reference or a relative who used the expression or …  Meanwhile pretty much every game has multiple clues where I have no idea, but someone answers easily. For whatever that’s worth :)

• Love 6

Now I really wish Karen had won the first game; it would've been really cool to have three women competing for the title.  I enjoyed Jennifer's reaction to winning, and the camaraderie seen among the three contestants as the end credits rolled.

The salt TS surprised me, as did subtle a bit, as well as Belfast taking three tries to get to.

It was not at all my game in the first round; I only ran dictionary and ones and zeros, I didn't get a single one right in children's lit, and I missed two each in all the rest.  About the same in DJ -- I didn't have a blown category, but I only ran U.K. places (I've been to most of them, so that helped).  I missed three fictional game shows, two each in mirage and ancients, and one each in seeing red and 3D.  And I didn't get FJ.

So I did not have a single good game in the semis; hopefully I do better in the finals, but since it's probably only going to get harder, I'll just have to take my enjoyment in their performances.  It has been a good tournament so far.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Today is the first I've heard that expression and I've already forgotten it.

Hah. Yeah. “Trireme” (Transportation for $1000) was a NY Times crossword clue I looked up just last Thursday and could not pull out of my brain today even though I knew from the picture that it was the same word.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My mom used to say it a lot, but she was born in 1928, so maybe it's a saying that has faded from the lexicon of potential Jeopardy players?
But also, why would my mother have had so many occasions to say that to me?
Anyway, I was pleading so loudly for Nabir to say "Newcastle!" that the neighbors may have wondered about it.

Expand  

I've never heard that expression

I seem to recall my son-in-law looking at me like I was showing signs of dementia or stroke when I said “that would be like taking coals to Newcastle.”

Anyway, now my neighbors have heard it, albeit not in context.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I knew “coals to Newcastle” from reading John Constantine: Hellbazer comics in the ‘90’s. It strikes me as a particularly British expression. 

Easter egg tidbit from Veronica. She set her FJ bet in the semis to result in a $31,400 total with a correct answer. Remember that she’s a pie enthusiast. 

Edited by Fukui San
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

I had heard of "coals to Newcastle," though I couldn't say who said it first. I do know a variant of it goes back to antiquity: "owls to Athens." I also knew the other missed DD about Augustus leaving Rome a city of marble. I did not know any of the other TS's, though. I wondered if Buzzy would make Nabir BMS on "Mary," since there's also Mary Magdalene. I guessed Verdi for FJ, even though I was pretty sure the date was much too early.

And yes, hooray for two out of three finalists being women!

• Love 2

Fantastic tournament. I almost don't miss Alex.

Buzzy is doing a great job. I still want Brad to host.

Over the moon about 2 - TWO - women in the final 3. Wish Karen was the 3rd. I bet Alex is smiling from his vantage point. He always had an appreciation for 'smart' (aka bad ass) ladies.

Tax season makes me crazy, keeps me too busy to post here, and that's maybe not a bad thing.

• Love 4
(edited)

I also knew "coals to Newcastle," and I don't know how either.  I watch a lot of British TV, and like to do deep dives into all the references.  I think I might have heard it in that world.  I'm not sure.  Birmingham was not a bad guess.  I think they were known as a factory town.

Another obscure idiom I love, in case they should ask about it in the future, is "all around Robin Hood's barn."  It means taking the long way to get somewhere or just going all over the place.  I wish I could remember where I heard that one either.  Not long ago I described a bus detour as having taken us "all around Robin Hood's barn" and my coworker just stared at me for a second before asking, "what is that, a club or something?"

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 7

Add me as another who has never heard that Newcastle saying. I do watch a lot of British stuff but if that was ever said I didn’t notice it. 

Somehow I guessed FJ correct! Don’t know how, but Rossini was the name that came to mind when I thought “Just name an Italian composer.” Would not have been able to even tell you anything he wrote lol.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Easter egg tidbit from Veronica. She set her FJ bet in the semis to result in a $31,400 total with a correct answer. Remember that she’s a pie enthusiast. 

I noticed that! I'm a numbers geek, since birth apparently, and I'd have done the same. I also love pie! (homemade lemon meringue esp)

We celebrate pi (March 14th for those of you interested) day in my home, and now in some other related homes... it's fun!

• Love 7

I’ve heard of coals to Newcastle for decades.  I read a lot of British mysteries so that is probably where I heard it.  The group The Animals ((House of the Rising Sun) is from Newcastle and I’m a huge fan of the British Invasion.

• Love 6
(edited)

When an adult acts like a spoiled child in public, imo it's not only fair game to comment on it but almost a responsibility to point out that the behavior is not acceptable.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

I can tell you exactly where I knew "coals to Newcastle" from:  an old episode of the Wonder Woman tv show, with Lynda Carter!  Why it stuck in my memory I can't tell you, but it did.  Maybe because there's a city in Indiana called New Castle, and I didn't realize as a kid that they weren't talking about that one. 😀  I don't think I've ever heard the expression anywhere else, not even in those many British mysteries that my wife watches.

I made an educated guess of Rossini.  The three most prominent Italian composers I can think of are Rossini, Verdi, and Puccini, and 1829 seemed way too early to be either Verdi or Puccini's last opera.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have old ears too (and really bad tinnitus) but thought I heard the other N, so I checked "Capital Hills" for $800 here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7030
and, yes, she had an extra N.

Yeah, the combo of old ears and tinnitus is no fun. I feel you. Losing silence is a bummer.

I knew "coals to Newscastle." I figure it's just from reading a lot of books set in Britain and watching a fair number of British shows. Every country probably has its version. An American one involved selling (or bringing) ice to Inuits in Alaska, as I recall.

Had no clue for FJ, but then I'm really bad at composers.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

An American one involved selling (or bringing) ice to Inuits in Alaska, as I recall.

I've heard it as something like "he's such a good salesman, he could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo" (but of course that's terribly un-PC now).

• Love 6
1 minute ago, illdoc said:

I've heard it as something like "he's such a good salesman, he could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo" (but of course that's terribly un-PC now).

My mom always said my grandfather could sell ice to an eskimo and I always responded that he wouldn't because he wouldn't want to rip him off.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

My mom always said my grandfather could sell ice to an eskimo and I always responded that he wouldn't because he wouldn't want to rip him off.

Ah❤️ Your Grandpa was like mine.❤️
Anyway, the North American version of “like bringing coals to Newcastle” would be “like bringing ice to Inuits” without mention of selling, as the Jeopardy clue specifies:

• Doing something redundant is like "carrying coals" to this city, formerly a coal-mining center

• Love 2
On 5/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, Cotypubby said:

it’s Palatine and she added an N, that would be incorrect. They judge that kind of mistake wrong all the time. 

Generally, the host would ask the contestant to say it again if there were confusion. Long i vs. short i should not make a difference in the correctness of an answer unless it changed the meaning

And YAYY Jennifer from Dowagiac!  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

There is THAT, I suppose.  I think that particular contestant tops my list of most hated contestants for that story alone.  (And that's a list with Austin on it!)

And that execrable Alfred Chu or Andrew Chu or whatever.  Dislike him so much I won't even look up his name.

• Love 2

As much as I would like to see a woman champion, the big demographic factor when it comes to Jeopardy is age, so you have to think Sam has an advantage.

I figured out the age at which the past several TOC champs have been when they won

Roger Craig - 33/34
Colby Burnett - 30
Ben Ingram - 30
Alex Jacob - 30
Buzzy Cohen - 33/34
James Holzhauer - 35

Ken Jennings was 30 when he went on his 74-game winning streak.

According to a newspaper story, Sam graduated college in 2013, so I figure he's about 30 now.  Both of the women are past 40, I believe.

As someone north of 50 myself, I would like to see an older person win, but we need to accept that Jeopardy is just like any other sport, and there is an age when players are at their best.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

As someone north of 50 myself, I would like to see an older person win, but we need to accept that Jeopardy is just like any other sport, and there is an age when players are at their best.

While looking through j-archive to find the 1993 TOC, I was reminded that there used to be a seniors tournament (which was apparently 50+). The last one was in Dec. 1995.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

As much as I would like to see a woman champion, the big demographic factor when it comes to Jeopardy is age, so you have to think Sam has an advantage.

I figured out the age at which the past several TOC champs have been when they won

Roger Craig - 33/34
Colby Burnett - 30
Ben Ingram - 30
Alex Jacob - 30
Buzzy Cohen - 33/34
James Holzhauer - 35

Ken Jennings was 30 when he went on his 74-game winning streak.

According to a newspaper story, Sam graduated college in 2013, so I figure he's about 30 now.  Both of the women are past 40, I believe.

I expect Veronica Vichit-Vadakan, a community college librarian, would to be as familiar with popular culture as 30-somethings, and even more familiar with current news.
When I was getting my librarian degrees, it was impressed upon us that we needed to keep abreast of current events for our jobs. For example, I saw the second plane flying into the Twin Towers in real time because I had the news on the TV as I was getting ready to go to work. I'm sure many other employees in various fields did too, but for me it was part of prepping for the work day.
Perhaps a better example of why older Veronica the librarian might be able to win the tournament: 
In 2019, when I was helping a student with his senior paper on Rap and Hip Hop, he was delighted that I was familiar with the current performers and the art form so he didn't need to explain anything to me, and I was quickly and easily able to help him locate academically acceptable sources for the topic.

If Veronica wins, I don't think it will be a sign that the age factor no longer counts. It will just be an example of why librarians make good Jeopardy contestants, as she explained in her interview much more succinctly and eloquently than I can.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Rimsky-Korsakov.  Why?  Because I didn't know.  I was trying to think of an Italian-French composer, but then just said, this is stupid, say anything.

I got the missed clues of marble and salt.

Classical composers would be one of my dream categories, and I'd read stories about Rossini being called Signore Crescendo so that was a gimmee, but everyone has areas which aren't as strong for them (hello Math/Science/Politics) so sometimes you just have to say what comes to mind.

I got marble, salt & Newcastle (partly because of the movie Stormy Monday in which, as one reviewer put it, Sean Bean was bringing Poles to Newcastle).

The Seeing Red category reminded me of how much I hate modern art.  I could've painted Red Square.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't think people in their early 30s have an advantage because they know more pop culture.  It's because they are physically faster at thinking and buzzing in.   At the top levels, 50-year-olds aren't as good as 30-year-olds at basketball and football, and that isn't because the younger players know more.  (On the contrary, old players are smarter and know more.)  Jeopardy! is partly a physical sport, and your bodily reflexes matter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

as well as Belfast taking three tries to get to.

I thought it was Dublin.  Oh well, at least I was on the right island.  Dumb thing is, I recently watched all 3 seasons of The Fall, which is set in Belfast and probably mentioned Donegall Square at least once.

17 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I knew “coals to Newcastle” from reading John Constantine: Hellbazer comics in the ‘90’s. It strikes me as a particularly British expression. 

It is.  Possibly interesting tidbit: I have a magnet from an exhibition of JMW Turner's paintings that was at the National Gallery in DC.  It's of the painting "Keelmen Heaving in Coals" and depicts men on the river Tyne in Newcastle transferring loads of coal into ships waiting to carry it to other parts of the country.  It's an incredibly atmospheric painting of an extremely difficult job.

Another possibly interesting tidbit: although I knew that Stoke-on-Trent was known for its potteries due to watching Bargain Hunt on BBC America, and because the Stoke City football club is called The Potters, I'm also familiar with the city because it's where Robbie Williams is from.

16 hours ago, Bliss said:

Buzzy is doing a great job. I still want Brad to host.

Me, too, on both counts.  I'd have liked your entire post except that I'm very, very happy that Sam is in the final.  In another year, I'd probably agree with you, though.

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

And that execrable Alfred Chu or Andrew Chu or whatever.  Dislike him so much I won't even look up his name.

Arthur Chu, I believe.  Oh yes, he's on my list.

2 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I don't think people in their early 30s have an advantage because they know more pop culture.  It's because they are physically faster at thinking and buzzing in.   At the top levels, 50-year-olds aren't as good as 30-year-olds at basketball and football, and that isn't because the younger players know more.  (On the contrary, old players are smarter and know more.)  Jeopardy! is partly a physical sport, and your bodily reflexes matter.

You're probably right, but it's interesting that the oldest player of the 3 won the Greatest of All Time tournament: Ken is 4 years older than Brad and roughly 10 years older than James.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Any advantage a younger player has in pop culture knowledge would be cancelled out by an older player's knowledge of classic tv or movies, I would guess . How many times did Alex say "before your time" after missed clues in those categories?

Maybe one of our former contestants can enlighten us but I think the buzzer is just tricky to master regardless of your age and reflexes?  I have seen players of all ages struggle with it at various times.

I got Newcastle- I can't think of where I heard it, it's just something I always knew.  I also got Belfast, but not FJ.  Opera is not my strong suit.  I said Verdi.

• Love 2

I was familiar with "coals to Newcastle" but the first time I heard it, I was confused.  I had only heard "coals" (plural) in the sense of burning pieces of coal, so I wondered why people would transport burning coals.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just checked the archive since I'm going to be watching Nightwatch at 7:00.  I am not happy with Sam's big lead heading into game two.

The hitherto TS surprised me just a little bit.  Pries, too, but I think that one they just couldn't come up with in time.

I ran the computer category, so those clues must have been too easy for a ToC as that's not a strong subject for me.  And that was the only category I ran in the first round; I missed two each in all the rest.  So I was off to the poor start I'd predicted.

I missed another ten in DJ.  I only ran law.  I was terrible in history, only getting one (well, I correctly guessed James for the $400 clue, but when inevitably prompted to BMS, I have no idea what random number I'd have thrown out there, so I can't give myself James I).  I also missed two each in straits (I knew them, but couldn't get them from brain to mouth in time) and celebrity, and one each in science and religion.

I also didn't know FJ, which I think puts me below 50% for correct FJ answers in this ToC.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow night's game!

• Love 2

Continuing my terrible streak...

In round 1 I ran Computers and failed College.  In round 2 I didn't run anything but got at least one (but not more than 3) in every category.

I got no TSes unless you accept tarantula for spider, and the only DD I got was Bedlam.

FJ was an instaget, thanks to my cousin (on bass) and his band.

Which means I have a new best game of the week, with 49%! Woo hoo.

• Love 2
(edited)

I got FJ right.  Whoo-hoo!!!

I got the missed clue of hitherto (before anybody said anything) and reasonable doubt.  I feel she answered that too fast.  I think when you get the double you should take a second and think before answering.

I got the entire category of law without flubbing an entire category.  my best TOC game thus far.  Well, at least this week.  i think I might have had a fairly good game last week.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I got it before Buzzy finished reading the clue.  I'm not best pleased with Sam's lead!  And I'm really not best pleased that Veronica is so far behind!  I'm still rooting for her, though.

The only TS I got were hornito and Wake Forest.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The hitherto TS surprised me just a little bit.  Pries, too, but I think that one they just couldn't come up with in time.

i feel like I missed a few clues tonight that I would have gotten if they were FJ and I had 30 seconds to think/remember.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm not best pleased with Sam's lead!  And I'm really not best pleased that Veronica is so far behind!  I'm still rooting for her, though.

So at least I'm not solely responsible for jinxing Veronica by rooting for her. Whew! 😉

I did appreciate Buzzy's encouraging words about his having $0 going into his second day of the tournament and then winning it. 

In her interview Veronica said she considered Sam a formidable opponent, so, at least if she loses to him, she loses to someone whose Jeopardy skills she respects. I'd like a woman to win, but Sam seems worthy if he does. 

The final clue and response were common knowledge to librarians ("fair use") so I'm glad Veronica got it, indicating she hasn't thrown in the towel. I think these just weren't her strongest categories, and she didn't get a DD.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Any advantage a younger player has in pop culture knowledge would be cancelled out by an older player's knowledge of classic tv or movies, I would guess . How many times did Alex say "before your time" after missed clues in those categories?

Maybe one of our former contestants can enlighten us but I think the buzzer is just tricky to master regardless of your age and reflexes?  I have seen players of all ages struggle with it at various times.

I struggled with the buzzer in my game; not sure if it was age or nerves or both. I think @Roaster does have a point about reflexes, but it's also true that older folks know more about earlier popular culture. Give me a 70's songs category and I'll run it; give me one about today's hits and I'll be lucky to get the $200 clue.

52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I got it before Buzzy finished reading the clue.  I'm not best pleased with Sam's lead!  And I'm really not best pleased that Veronica is so far behind!  I'm still rooting for her, though.

Same here! I knew hitherto and made a guess on spider.

6 hours ago, dcalley said:

While looking through j-archive to find the 1993 TOC, I was reminded that there used to be a seniors tournament (which was apparently 50+). The last one was in Dec. 1995.

I wish they'd revive the seniors' tournament. The one reason I'd heard for dropping it was horribly ageist: they thought the contestants took too long telling their anecdotes in the interviews.

One thing: Did Sam call Lear's youngest daughter "Cornelia"? If so, he should have been ruled incorrect; her name is "Cordelia."

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

One thing: Did Sam call Lear's youngest daughter "Cornelia"? If so, he should have been ruled incorrect; her name is "Cordelia."

I heard Cordelia...

• Love 4
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Same here! I knew hitherto and made a guess on spider.

Boris the Spider is a hilariously bad Who song. Mr. Starling is a big Who fan, which is why I'm familiar with it (I like The Who, but before him I only knew the hits). We had a good laugh at that one, as it's kind of an inside joke.

Thank you Star Trek for getting me another FJ. I read about Botany Bay - but I heard it on Star Trek first.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I have never heard or heard of that particular Maggie May.  But I did get FJ.  Song rhymes with May - Ballad of Moreton Bay (as sung by the Brothers Four), no Maggie in that song, so it must be Botany Bay since I knew Botany Bay was a penal colony in Australia.

I did not get any ts's.  My son got spider.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

FJ was an instaget for me, given my obsession with all things Australian in the late 80s/early 90s.  I think the key to getting it for others not so inclined was knowing: a) where Britain sent its convicts after the American Revolution when they couldn't send them to Georgia anymore and b) having once heard the name "Botany Bay" in relation to Australia since it had to rhyme with "May".

I was greatly disappointed that none of the contestants knew Boris the Spider.  My best friend is a huge Who fan, and  I once suggested, to her great amusement, that when the CSI franchise got around to CSI: Peoria, that should be the theme song.

The hitherto TS surprised me just a little bit.

I think maybe they were like me and didn't realize that the answer had to begin with H and end with O.  Buzzy probably said that when introducing the categories but I missed it and was confused when "heretofore" was wrong.

I am not happy with Sam's big lead heading into game two.

I'm thrilled because I want him to win for purely superficial reasons, but honestly, any of the three could win and I'd be happy.  They're all great players and their games have been really good.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

In round 1 I ran Computers and failed College.  In round 2 I didn't run anything but got at least one (but not more than 3) in every category.

I got no TSes unless you accept tarantula for spider, and the only DD I got was Bedlam.

I did badly in Computers (no real surprise to me) and the only ones I got in College were the University of Virginia and Wake Forest.  (I used to watch ACC basketball in my teens, back when Maryland was still in the ACC.  Fear the Turtle!)  Then I spent way too much time trying to remember the band who did the song Deacon Blue - Steely Dan, btw.

That's very cool about your cousin and his band.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clue of hitherto (before anybody said anything) and reasonable doubt. 

I got reasonable doubt, and did okay in that category, only missing fair use and tort.  I work in a circuit court, so missing more than that would've been pretty embarrassing.  Should've actually gotten tort, but something about the clue made me think of terrorism instead.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was greatly disappointed that none of the contestants knew Boris the Spider.  My best friend is a huge Who fan, and  I once suggested, to her great amusement, that when the CSI franchise got around to CSI: Peoria, that should be the theme song.

Bwaaahahaha!!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think maybe they were like me and didn't realize that the answer had to begin with H and end with O.  Buzzy probably said that when introducing the categories but I missed it and was confused when "heretofore" was wrong.

Actually, I don't think he did explain it. (And there's also no explanation in the archive, and they usually include any explanatory remarks that were made.)

I'm thrilled because I want him to win for purely superficial reasons, but honestly, any of the three could win and I'd be happy.  They're all great players and their games have been really good.

lol...me, too. He's cute. If I had to pick one of the women I think it'd be Veronica (who is also adorable...and apparently she had sloths on her shirt in the semifinal game 🦥).

That's very cool about your cousin and his band.

They are very cool. They're in Houston and I've only gotten the chance to see them play once, when they were up in PA several years ago. Another fun fact is that my cousin's dad won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry and I'm still waiting for his name to come up on Jeopardy. (The thing he won for has, but not him personally. But most people probably wouldn't know his name unless they follow that sort of thing, so I'm not holding my breath.)

• Love 2