Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 1/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, GreekGeek said:

Up until now, I didn’t know there were two famous Mandy Moore’s. I thought the choreographer and the actress were one and the same! Doh!

Me too! I still got it right. No Dancing with the Stars in my world but I watch Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and the choreographer for that is Mandy Moore as well. I just assumed it was the actress branching out! Normally I wouldn't even notice the name of the choreographer, but it was familiar so it stuck. And while I don't watch This Is Us either, I knew Mandy Moore was on it from promos. So I had all the pieces and it registered immediately but it was a bit of a "whoa!" moment.

Does anyone else feel like the interview segments are longer than they were with Alex? It’s not a big deal except that it makes it harder to clear the board.  There were 2 clues left last night.  I haven’t really noticed until now and I can’t remember if the board was cleared on the previous 3 days.

• Love 4

Absolutely loved that Lucy put the game away on questions concerning Rick Springfield, Roxanne, and David Brent from the British Office.  I'm more than likely gonna be buying some artwork from this woman.

Edited by Mean Machine
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something about Ken has been bugging me and I finally figured out what. He is using all the same hand gestures that AT did. It’s almost as though he studied him on the show, and is mimicking him. Mind you it’s not bothering me, and they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I wasn't going to mention it because it seemed too petty, but the way Ken holds his hands at his waist and tents his fingers during the credit roll has definitely stood out to me.  I'm sure Alex did that from time to time, in between other gestures, but it looks really mannered the way Ken does it, because he just holds it there.  I wish he would do something else.  On the other hand, if I'm parsing how he holds his hands during a segment irrelevant to the game, I must be pretty happy with the way the important stuff is going.

1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

Does anyone else feel like the interview segments are longer than they were with Alex? It’s not a big deal except that it makes it harder to clear the board.  There were 2 clues left last night.  I haven’t really noticed until now and I can’t remember if the board was cleared on the previous 3 days.

I think they might be a bit longer than they had been, yes.  I feel like we have gotten mostly complete stories this week, whereas in the past they often seemed either chopped all to hell in the editing bay or so perfunctory that they were barely worthwhile.  Perhaps this is an effort to give Ken a little more face time, since some may feel they're not really getting a chance to know his personality during the game proper?  I am always happy to get to know the contestants, but agree that it shouldn't be at the expense of clearing boards.  If Ken is reading clues faster, maybe this segment has a little more time to breathe.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I've had that impression too, especially in last night's game.  Ken seems to ask more follow-up questions, particularly if the story touches on something he's interested in.

Ken has done surprisingly well so far, in my view, although I still wonder if they will give him the permanent job.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought that was a faux pas on Ken's part since he made Brett think he was wrong - not a good move for a host.

He just reversed the words.  Brett answered "Dr. No", when the answer they were looking for was "No" (since it was in a "two-letter" category and asked for the physician's surname).  That was good enough, but instead of saying, "Correct - No," Ken said "No - correct".

It happens all that time, where the contestant says something a little different, adds something, etc., but it's still right - if it's not something they have to think about and say "we'll accept that," it's already known to be okay, Alex would say it the slightly different way they were looking for while ruling the contestant correct.  Sometimes he'd say yea first and then restate the answer, sometimes he'd restate the answer first and then give the green light. 

It doesn't matter which order - except when the restated answer is "No".  (Especially with a host who has so far always seemed to say "no" rather than mixing it up with "incorrect" and such.)  Then you may see what indeed happened last night, where the contestant stops listening after "No" and the confusion has to be cleared up. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Aw, no one knew Ted Lasso. Which is an awesome show. 

I gasped when I saw the category - so in my wheelhouse.  And got it! I reasoned that Edward is just a few years older than me, and who was President when I was born.  And knew not to go back one President to JFK since it’s famous the Kennedys met the Queen.  Especially after The Crown series. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 7

I said JFK also.  Didn't know exactly how old Andrew is and figured Kennedy served the least amount of time.

I got the ts of Grimm, star, eldeberries, Joliet, and infer.

I got the entire categories of fortify, along for the ride, hodgepodge and vocabulary right.

Aside for FJ, did pretty well.  

• Love 1

I knew it wasn't Kennedy, but I couldn't decide if it was the president before or after Kennedy.  I chose incorrectly, so no FJ for me tonight.

I did get the TS of Grimm, star, elderberry, rattlesnake, and the missed DD of infer.  Am I a bad person for being glad that end guy didn't win?  Between his wild-ass guesses and his swaying, I had to root for anyone except him.  Sorry to see Lucy go, but I like the new champ, too.  

• Love 2
Just now, M. Darcy said:

I gasped when I saw the category - so in my wheelhouse.  And got it! I reasoned that Edward is just a few years older than me, and who was President when I was born.  And didn’t go back to JFK since it’s famous the Kennedys met the Queen.  Especially after The Crown series. 

Did they say 3rd son or 3rd child? 

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but I just looked att the question and don't know why I thought it said 3rd child instead of youngest.  That's just bizarre.  LOL.

• Love 1

I think poor Lucy was suffering from the 5 games in a row fatigue. A shame as she was good and I also wished that she made the TOC. I was able to get all the D Words. I also got star fort, rattlesnakes, infer and FJ because I watched the Crown and knew that JFK had met the Queen. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Here's FJ!

Of the last 12 sitting U.S. presidents, the only one Elizabeth never met; she had her youngest child 3 months into his presidency

I probably fixated on the 3 and used it twice.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew it but I couldn't get it out of my brain.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the ts of Grimm, star, eldeberries, Joliet, and infer.

I got Grimm, despite only having watched the first two or three episodes (just couldn't get into it). I got star fort just from the picture (which I glanced up at just in time to catch). I got infer because imply/infer is one of my wrong-word-usage pet peeves.

I had not a clue on FJ.

• Love 3

Boo to no more Lucy, but I dig Jennifer, too, and she played a good game.

Star was a surprising TS given "celestial" and, ya know, the picture of something star shaped.  I had a bad feeling elderberries was going to be a TS.

Knowing the Eagle is what landed on the moon did not belong in DD.  (Nor did knowing infer is the flip side of imply, but someone still missed it.)

I only knew two TV titles, so the first round was not off to a good start for me, and I missed several other clues scattered across the board.  I missed probably another half dozen in DJ.

I almost didn't even try with FJ based on the category, as I don't pay attention to royals, but once the clue was read, I thought, wait, I'm good with early and "modern" versions of who was president when (I'm just really bad in the middle), so I may be able to guess this.  My guess went: Prince Charles must be around 70, so the youngest (whoever that is, heh) of her kids is probably late 50s.  So who was president in 1965 (2020-55 = 1965 [easier to work with rounded off numbers in a hurry])?  That I know - LBJ.

Nailed it!  Could I have done that under game conditions?  Unlikely.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Good game.  Ken's pronunciations are excellent and give me a little fuzzy feeling.  There's also something really pleasing to me about a pretty steady progression through the categories one at a time in one or the other order.

Like others, I'm sorry to see Lucy go, but I like Jennifer too.  I wouldn't've minded if Gautham had gotten his sea legs either.  He seemed to know what to do, avoiding a late wager that could have left him with $0 like so many forget to do, and maybe it was a bad board for him or he was very nervous.  At least he and I can hate "Big Bang Theory" together.

Had I been on the show, we might have completed the set of _____ Pacific Railroads, because I would've bet money Fresno was founded by the Southern Pacific.  Diego Rivera made me think of a mural at a nearby college which is liable to be sold to help them dig out of a financial hole, if they can't find someone to endow it in place.  What a shame.

I can't say whether I'd've gotten FJ because I spoiled myself by being somewhere I should've known not to be so late in the day before having watched.  I think I would probably have ruled LBJ out because he served a good term and a half, and might've talked myself into Ford or Nixon, although I should've known they were too recent.  I think I knew she met Kennedy.

6 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I could remember reading about it, but not the title.  And after it was revealed, I recalled having seen the title once or twice after first reading about it and not remembering what it was, therefore having to look it up again.  And yet I still didn't remember.  D'oh!  I don't want another subscription but I'd like to watch it.  Maybe with a friend who has it when that's possible again one day.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also could have sworn they said 3rd child but they did not. At any rate I did not get it.  I guessed Eisenhower.  I thought the category was more about American presidents than Queen Elizabeth.  So that's why I didn't get it.  Yep, that's it.

I did get the ts's/missed DDs of Grimm (watched for two seasons and quit in the middle of season 2 finale), elderberries, Joliet and infer.

Sorry Lucy lost but I do like Jennifer too.

• Love 5

I got Grimm, basically yelled it at the tv ;). Of course I've seen it and stopped watching some in season 4 (?) but saw enough to know the show.

I was thinking JFK because he was killed in office, therefore less time to meet the queen. But now I think about it, of course she met Kennedy. So Johnson make's sense as it's still the same time period her kids were born in. I also heard 3rd child.

• Love 1

Like some others, I knew Queen Elizabeth II had met JFK due to The Crown episode.  And I don't know why, but I thought she'd met Nixon.  So that left LBJ.  My one correct FJ for the week!

I've never seen Grimm nor Arrow, and never heard of Ted Lasso.  I was surprised no one guessed rattlesnakes.

Overall, I think Ken Jennings did a credible job as guest host.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I've never even heard of it. I used to have at least some familiarity with most shows (if only by name) but there's too much content out there for me to keep up these days.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I did get the ts's/missed DDs of Grimm (watched for two seasons and quit in the middle of season 2 finale), elderberries, Joliet and infer.

I watched Grimm a little longer than that, but gave up when one character started eating up the series. Which was unfortunate, because I liked everyone else.

I got LBJ, I second guessed myself a bit, but stuck with it. The Crown was part of it for me too  - as I remembered that the LBJ episode had him meeting Margaret instead of Elizabeth. But I would have figured it out. Edward is the one offspring that is completely under my radar.

12 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Overall, I think Ken Jennings did a credible job as guest host.  

I'm not sure, but I read something that implied he hosted for 6 weeks (or is that the accumulated shows that were recorded with all the guest hosts?) I think he was fine. I actually like his interviews with the contestants, he's speedy with the rest of it.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure, but I read something that implied he hosted for 6 weeks (or is that the accumulated shows that were recorded with all the guest hosts?) I think he was fine. I actually like his interviews with the contestants, he's speedy with the rest of it.

He taped 30 shows.

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've never seen Grimm, and really didn't know there was a show called Grimm.  I guessed that one based on the clue alone, and hoped for the best.

I got it from "Fairy Tale Germany" in the clue; I would not have gotten it from the character name or setting (also knowing that Once Upon A Time, of which I did watch the first few seasons, was not set in Portland).

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I was surprised no one guessed rattlesnakes.

I guessed turtles for that one.  Mostly because I've seen many episodes of Lone Star Law where they are rounding up turtles because the water is so cold, taking them to warm up and releasing them in warmer weather.  More likely, it's the same episode shown many times😀

• Love 3

I got the "Ted Lasso" response now, only because it's awards season and I've seen it mentioned a lot as a potential nominee. I wouldn't have gotten it correct back in November (?) when the episode was filmed. I have access to several streaming services, but AppleTV's not one of them.

I'm very pleased with how well Ken's been doing. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I should have phrased that differently.  In his first week as guest host, I thought he did a credible job, and I’m looking forward to more of his guest host episodes.

• Love 1

FJ!  was and wasn’t an instaget.  Schrodinger’s FJ?  Anyway, I knew the Kennedys met the Queen (I recently saw pictures in a book about the Queen’s wardrobe) and I knew Edward was her last child and born in the 60s,  so it was a matter of figuring who was prez after JFK.  

• Love 1

I enjoyed this week with Ken hosting more than I thought I would, and look forward to watching the other hosts. I wasn't expecting this, but after the initial weirdness of seeing someone new, it was actually a bit of a relief. I don't want to sound insensitive, but as much as I loved Alex, watching his last set of episodes after his passing was quite sad. And for the past year or so I've felt a tiny sense of dread tuning into the show, worrying each day about every change to Alex's appearance and voice, and hoping he wasn't in pain as he gave his A-game to the show. It was more stressful than I realized at the time, and now that the show is in a new era it feels good to be able to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the game.

• Love 10

I thought "parallel bars" in the first round should have gotten a be more specific...

Got all the music and fictional housewives so yay for me. 🙂 Also celebrity names and historical markers in the first round.

FJ = near instaget. (Like, 2 seconds.)

Nitpick - the store is Tiffany, not Tiffany's, but I guess since the movie title is possessive I'll let it go.

Yay, I was rooting for Donesh because I had no strong feelings about the other players and he was the only guy. (When there are two men and one woman, or vice versa, I root for the odd one out, unless I really like someone else.) And he's kinda cute...

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought "parallel bars" in the first round should have gotten a be more specific...

Actually, not only do I think that (^^^) was the right call, but I thought "Uneven parallel bars" should be incorrect! I always thought they were called "uneven bars". Uneven parallel bars sounds like an oxymoron. 

• Love 5

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  But I'm not holding out hope for the rest of the week, since I started off strong last week, too.  

I also got Captain, John Wilkes Booth, and Revolutionary War.  I did wonder if they would have accepted "dumbsquizzled" for "dumbfounded", since I say the former (even though I think I made it up), and it does fit the category.

Now, pardon me while I go hitch my dogs to my druid to mush across the tundra.

• LOL 9

I got FJ.

I got the ts of captan, John Wilkes Booth, Revolutionary War

I got the entire category of celebrity names right.

There was one clue to the D-D category that the contestant pluralized, so I feel that should have been wrong.  I also feel that parallel bars should have gotten a BMS.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Captain, John Wilkes Booth, and Revolutionary War.  I did wonder if they would have accepted "dumbsquizzled" for "dumbfounded", since I say the former (even though I think I made it up), and it does fit the category.

If you made it up, I'm going to say no😄

• LOL 1
34 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Nitpick - the store is Tiffany, not Tiffany's, but I guess since the movie title is possessive I'll let it go.

You could probably, if you squint, make the argument that it asked about the store's cafe, so you're possessivzing saying that it owns the cafe.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Actually, not only do I think that (^^^) was the right call, but I thought "Uneven parallel bars" should be incorrect! I always thought they were called "uneven bars". Uneven parallel bars sounds like an oxymoron. 

Well, they're parallel to each other, just at different heights (dictionary.com defines it as "an apparatus consisting of two parallel wooden bars, fixed at specific different heights from the floor on upright supports"). Though according to wikipedia they're called "uneven bars" or "asymmetric bars." 

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You could probably, if you squint, make the argument that it asked about the store's cafe, so you're possessivzing saying that it owns the cafe.

Hmmm...I'll allow it, I guess.

• Love 2