Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I liked Brian, but I'm glad Zach won his fifth game, so he'll be eligible for the ToC! I was also thrilled that Jill correctly pronounced the Stone of Scone.

For FJ, I was torn between Ginsburg and Kerouac, but went with Kerouac in the end. I may or may not give credit to 10,000 Maniacs.

I also got the TS of The World According To Garp (even though I can't stand John Irving), stigma, and the Katzenjammer Kids.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I may or may not give credit to 10,000 Maniacs.

❤️

In a way it's a shame Brian and Zach faced each other, but at the same time it was must-see Jeopardy. I was happy for Zach.

• Love 7

Jill did very well for competing against two tenured champions, I thought.  I respect Brian's skill and liked him personally more each day, but I prefer Zach between them, so I was happy with the result.  Maybe they will see each other again in the eventual ToC.  "Invisible Man" was a little picky for me given some of what gets through, but oh well.  Brian gave Zach a copy each of Ellison's and Wells' novels for Christmas.

I am still not terribly thrilled by the return of flying people across the country to appear on a game show when I don't think the relevant circumstances have been resolved and the show can continue otherwise, but obviously I am outvoted by the production team, so I am just going to have to trust that they are taking as many precautions as possible at the studio, and as individuals in transit, and get over it.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ, I was torn between Ginsburg and Kerouac, but went with Kerouac in the end.

I thought of Ginsburg first and thought I was going to laugh all the way to the bank after a good game.  Rats!

• Love 4

I don't understand what was different at the time this was filmed that it was suddenly advisable for Zach to travel back to L.A., but hopefully he and the show did all possible to reduce the risk.

It was interesting to have a multi-day champ back in the game after a long absence, going against another multi-day champ who was right in the swing of things and then a newbie; I was rooting for Jill to be the spoiler.

Stigma was a bit surprising as a TS, as was no one guessing "Where's Waldo?"  But good game, with it being anyone's to win going into FJ.

I rebounded from last night's terrible performance, missing only two in the first round and probably about eight in DJ, and knowing FJ immediately.  Whew.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Jill did very well for competing against two tenured champions, I thought.  I respect Brian's skill and liked him personally more each day, but I prefer Zach between them, so I was happy with the result.  Maybe they will see each other again in the eventual ToC.  "Invisible Man" was a little picky for me given some of what gets through, but oh well.  Brian gave Zach a copy each of Ellison's and Wells' novels for Christmas.

😄 That's awesome. I love that he promoted the shelter Jill works at with a donation link, too. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I am not  usually a shallow person, but I do have a thing about strange mouths.   It started in my childhood when our family doctor had horrible teeth and I was scared of him and evolved into a dislike of weird mouths.   I cannot deal with the champ and Ken's lisp or whatever it is at the same time......I just can't.  Sometimes it is not even so much the lisp as the way their mouths look when pronouncing words.  Just like singers, there are some I can watch and some I can just listen to.

Brian's mouth reminded me of Buddy Hackett.  (Yeah, I'm old, too.)

I really wanted to watch this show, but I just couldn't stay awake.  I hate this lockdown - my body clock is all screwed up.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ABay said:

I am just now getting over my grief that no one recognized James Garner. I used to cut class to watch Maverick reruns on the local UHF station (ask your grandparents), and then The Rockford Files, and Bret Maverick, and so many good films. YouTube must have a compilation of the Rockford answering machine messages.

I know, right?  Everyone is referencing his TV shows, but when I think of James Garner, my mind goes to The Notebook.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Tunia said:

I know, right?  Everyone is referencing his TV shows, but when I think of James Garner, my mind goes to The Notebook.

That's why it took me a second to recognize him. I think of The Notebook or Maverick with Mel Gibson (and he would have been in his 60s then). I've seen pictures of him younger but never watched any of his TV shows.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"Invisible Man" was a little picky for me given some of what gets through, but oh well.  Brian gave Zach a copy each of Ellison's and Wells' novels for Christmas.

I would consider it picky for most things, but "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison is a completely different book than "The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells.  So I was happy it wasn't accepted.

I was glad that Zack won - I like his energy, but I liked Brian too.. I liked the way he dominated most of the time without seeming to.

It was a pretty good game for me, and I managed to get FJ. I thought of Kerouac immediately. Mr. Starling came up with Ginsberg, which is a pretty legit answer, even if it's wrong.  I ran the "Cab" category, and most of the Answers in Forms of Questions.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I would consider it picky for most things, but "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison is a completely different book than "The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells.  So I was happy it wasn't accepted.

I'm sure I must have mentioned it before, but we were told in the contestant briefing that adding or omitting an article from the beginning of a title doesn't matter, unless it would cause a conflict with another title.  Indeed, to the best of my memory, the Wells/Ellison books was the very example that they used!  So it wasn't a surprising ruling to me.

I am also surprised that it was considered safe for Zach to travel yet (I'm not getting near a plane until this thing is under control), but it was a good matchup, and made for an exciting game.  I was glad to see that Jill was in there holding her own as well.

I was torn between Ginsberg and Kerouac for FJ.  I think I ultimately would have landed on Ginsberg, and been wrong.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was pleased, too, that Ken explained that difference rather than merely saying, "You left off the 'the'."

• Love 4

Jill did very well for competing against two tenured champions, I thought.

She was very impressive. She was basically thrown into a ToC game, and comported herself very well.

Another vote for Murphy's Romance here. It shows up on TV occasionally, and I'll always watch it again. My mom loved The Rockford Files when I was a kid, I think she had a thing for James Garner!

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Another vote for Murphy's Romance here. It shows up on TV occasionally, and I'll always watch it again. My mom loved The Rockford Files when I was a kid, I think she had a thing for James Garner!

I was young, but I had a bit of a thing for him too. He was good looking and charming.

• Love 7

I am so glad Zach won.  Brian was okay but I liked Zach in his first run and was hoping he would win. I liked Jill too.

Only two ts's for me, Katzenjammer Kids and distaff.

Instaget FJ.  I thought Kerouac coined the phrase "beat generation" but I could be wrong. But he's the one I associate with it. Also, he seems to be another favourite of the J! writers.  They need to mix it up a bit.

I know it's come up before about Invisible Man vs The Invisible Man so I wasn't surprised by that ruling.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I thought Kerouac coined the phrase "beat generation" but I could be wrong.

No, you're right.  I looked him up because I recognize his name and can place him generally but don't know much more about him.  "Beatnik," intended insultingly, was coined by San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen, who I find brilliant or ridiculous, depending on the day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I know it's come up before about Invisible Man vs The Invisible Man so I wasn't surprised by that ruling.

Not to mention Unforgiven vs The Unforgiven, which has confounded many a contestant!

• Love 2

I said Belfast, but apparently I was in good company.

I got the ts of Cana, Nineveh, Virgin Islands, yuppy and beauty (which was a guess).

i got the entire partial category of sports casters wrong..

I got the Blue Mts (great coffee), and BVI. No clue on FJ. Another answer of Belfast here. 
In the money category there was an answer Red Cent. I said Pretty Penny. Do you think I would have been given credit? 
What a lousy week for me. 

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got the Blue Mts (great coffee), and BVI. No clue on FJ. Another answer of Belfast here. 
In the money category there was an answer Red Cent. I said Pretty Penny. Do you think I would have been given credit? 

I said pretty penny, too, but colorful was specifically in the clue, so I'm thinking no.

• Love 2

I knew Belfast wasn't right for FJ, but I couldn't come up with another city in time.  It was a "d'oh" moment when Ken said Londonderry.  

I did get Cana, yuppie, and beauty, and now I have Tom Petty's song running through my head.  Which is fine.  I like Tom Petty, and there are much worse things that could be stuck in my head....

One of the contestants got a "Good for you!"  Is that the first time Ken has said it?  

• Love 2

Instaget FJ, because I remembered listening to the hosts of the podcast “My Favorite Murder” discussing Derry Girls and how referring to the city as either Derry or Londonderry is sure to upset someone on either side.

• Love 1

I have "Gin and Juice" stuck in my head, which is particularly annoying since I only remember a couple of lines.

I wonder if any of them thought Belfast is also known by another name, or just couldn't think of another city in Northern Ireland.  I'm guessing the latter.  I've been to Derry (and Belfast - great city), so FJ was an instaget for me.  I might have still come up with it had I not been there, knowing about Bloody Sunday (brought to my attention via the U2 song), but maybe only here at home - not under game conditions - would I have remembered where that occurred.

Honor code was a surprising TS, as was yuppie, since you didn't need to know the facts at hand to figure them out.  Blue Mountains a bit, too (I don't even drink coffee), and I also thought someone would guess British Virgin Islands based on the wording of the clue.

Stupid bible category kept me from running the first round (I got Turkey because of the map, but sat here like a bump on a log for the rest).  In DJ, I missed three each in the poetry and star categories.  And, as I said, FJ was an instaget - not something I was expecting based on the category!  So, a good game to end a week that included two completely terrible games.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

James Garner in The Great Escape. He OWNED that thick white turtleneck.

What was the cutoff for the TOC?

Yes!  One of my favorite movies & James Garner(along with Steve McQueen) was terrific in it!

• Love 3

Nothing against Brian, but I'm happy for Zach's return. I enjoy him so much - great player and fantastic smile!

Ken's GFY made me swallow my gum. It was that or spew my wine. Yes, I can chew gum and drink wine at the same time. I'm so multi-talented. LOL

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Ha! I guessed Derry just because it was the only city I could think of thanks to Derry Girls. 

A brief visual from near the beginning of the series apparently stuck in my mind - they showed the "Welcome to Londonderry" highway sign, and someone had spray-painted out the "London" part of the name.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess nobody watched Derry Girls!

That's why I got it. Thank you British Bake off!

A bit late but I kind of felt bad for Brian. He had a good streak going for only them to bring back a past champion. But I guess there really is no other way to do it fairly. As what's name wasn't able to come back when he was supposed to because of Covid. But I can't but wonder how for Brian would have gotten if he didn't have to face him. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said pretty penny, too, but colorful was specifically in the clue, so I'm thinking no.

My choice was "Plug Nickel"---again, no color, so not acceptable. I think I also said "Plug Nickel" for the next clue, whose answer was "Wooden Nickel"

• Love 4

Just an okay game for me with only two ts's: Blue Mountain and British Virgin Islands.

I'm glad Zach won again.

I did get Londonderry but only by convoluted thinking, and nothing whatsoever to do with the FJ clue - I know that Londonderry Air is the same tune as Danny Boy so I thought the city might also have two names.  Can't say I've ever heard of the divide between Londonderry and Derry.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blueray said:

A bit late but I kind of felt bad for Brian. He had a good streak going for only them to bring back a past champion. But I guess there really is no other way to do it fairly. As what's name wasn't able to come back when he was supposed to because of Covid. But I can't but wonder how for Brian would have gotten if he didn't have to face him. 

I think the only truly fair way to bring him back would be in the scenario where a game ended in a three-way tie at $0, so there is no returning champ, and the ability to bring him back at that time. But that would be a pretty unlikely coincidence.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

My choice was "Plug Nickel"---again, no color, so not acceptable.

I thought Plug Nickel first, too, but realized it didn't fit the category.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I think the only truly fair way to bring him back would be in the scenario where a game ended in a three-way tie at $0, so there is no returning champ, and the ability to bring him back at that time. But that would be a pretty unlikely coincidence.

I was just thinking that might've been nice.  Take $10 off the consolation prizes and put it in a fund to keep flying him out and back until there is such an opening.  Easy.  That one's on me, but my next bright idea, the producers will have to pay.

• LOL 1
On 1/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, 853fisher said:

No, you're right.  I looked him up because I recognize his name and can place him generally but don't know much more about him.  "Beatnik," intended insultingly, was coined by San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen, who I find brilliant or ridiculous, depending on the day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one when it came to Herb Caen.

18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess nobody watched Derry Girls!

I came up with Londonderry (sp?) - and then remembered Derry from Derry Girls. Which the husband got - without knowledge of Derry Girls.

18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It's been literally decades since I had Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (sob!) that I forgot what the name was. 😞

• Love 1

I remembered Blue Mountain coffee! Didn't know much more than that lol but it stood out in my brain bc it was $35 lb. back in 1989 when we went to Jamaica on vacation! It was so strong the ppl at the resort were saying there was pot in it!!! You had to dilute it with hot water to be able to drink it but it was good if you made it correctly! Then when I came home I checked our Gloria Jeans @ the mall and it was $35 lb here as well. Most bags were only 10% Blue Mountain, like they sell Kona from Hawaii. That, I find a delicacy!

On 1/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, 853fisher said:
On 1/23/2021 at 12:07 AM, nuraman00 said:

For the 3 Letter D word category from last week, $1000 clue, would "Dis" have also been an acceptable answer?  Do you think the show would have accepted it?  Because that's the answer I came up with.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6906

I have continued to enjoy Jeopardy in the past week plus also.

I'm glad it still feels the same.

That's clever!  But although it is an abridgment of "disrespect," I have always seen it spelled "diss."

Hmm, I just looked up the spelling.  I guess it can be spelled both ways:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diss

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis

Hopefully the judges would have ruled in my favor.  Because I thought I had this right.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Hmm, I just looked up the spelling.  I guess it can be spelled both ways:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diss

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis

Hopefully the judges would have ruled in my favor.  Because I thought I had this right.

I would never have guessed that M-W has "diss" as the less common variant of "dis"!  If anything, I would've guessed it was the other way.  Of course, my friends are more likely to write a stern letter to the editor than record a dis(s) track, so perhaps I was never a party with standing to opine. 😉  If it can be shown with a dictionary, I think they would indeed have accepted your answer.  Mea culpa!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I had to think about FJ a bit -- I was overthinking it -- but got it in the nick of time.  I was rooting for Zach, and I'm sorry to see him go.  At least he did qualify for the ToC.

I also got the TS of Russia, Shogun, metropolis, Norway, and Valerie Harper.  

Several of us took over the TV room in the Campus Center at college to watch the miniseries of Shogun.  We all had mad crushes on Richard Chamberlain, and went around saying, "Arigato" instead of "thank you" for weeks.  

It made me sad that no one knew Valerie Harper.

• Love 10

Due to technical difficulties, this was my first time watching since my cross-country move 2 weeks ago.
I was really surprised that Allie Sibole, the biomedical engineer, didn't wager everything for the FJ category of "Science Words," but I guess she never regained her confidence after losing DJ. 

I was also surprised none of them rang in for "IT'S FROM THE GREEK FOR..." for $2K "In mythology, 'round-eyed,'" which was, of course, "Cyclops."

• Love 1

Wow, FJ today was a very difficult exercise in word-finding. I kept yelling at the TV "Disorder! The concept that things tend towards disorder!"

Just as time was up, I was able to dredge up entropy from the depths of my brain, but definitely would not have had time to write it down.

• Love 3

I surprised myself a few times tonight, especially with "entropy" and "Shogun."  I think I pulled the vague knowledge of a 70s novel set in Japan with that title from the patter between Brett and Charles on "Match Game," of all places.  My favorite bit of new info is that Buda and Pest were separate entities until only 150 years ago.  I found that fascinating!

I was disappointed nobody knew Pokemon or especially Valerie Harper.  I will never forget seeing her in the play "Looped" as a declining Tallulah Bankhead.  My mother and I had taken the train to New York City to tour colleges and allowed ourselves a night out on the town.  I will never forget Valerie's performance: absolutely captivating.

Finally, I swore to myself I wouldn't mention this anymore, but since Ken brought it up: what's with talking about travel restrictions in the past tense?  Does he know something I don't, or was he talking about some formal / legal restriction that is now gone?  The production team has made a choice to disregard the ongoing advice of many epidemiological professionals.  As I've said before, I accept that reasonable minds may differ, but I found it disingenuous to act like they waited until that advice was no longer in effect or something.  I wish they would not encourage cross-country travel for a game show.  Failing that, I wish they would stop bringing it up so I could get back to trying to ignore it.

• Love 9