Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I knew John Wilkes Booth mainly from Sondheim's Assassins:

Johnny lived with a grace and glitter.

Kind of like the lives he lived on stage.

Died in a barn in pain and bitter

Twenty-seven years of age.

I never knew he was that young.

I also knew captain, Revolutionary War, and Edith Wharton. I figured out FJ, but somehow missed the news that Tiffany had started serving food. Supposedly Capote got the title when he overheard a tourist saying, "Let's have breakfast at Tiffany's." Of course that was long before it was possible to do so.

• Love 3

FJ was mostly an instaget, I just couldn't remember if the actually name of the store was Tiffany or Tiffany's. I wear Tiffany glasses, and took them off to check - wonder if that would have been allowed! Though it does seem they accepted both regardless.

• Love 1

I had just started to swallow, and choked on my drink at "druid" instead of "dogsled". 

Ice (giant) and captain I was expecting to be correctly answered (not immediately, but with two guesses ruled out, yes), but Edith Wharton was the only TS that truly surprised me.

I got everything in the first round other than two British spy clues.  But in DJ, I was terrible at the historical TV shows, missed a few music clues, a couple of the literary clues, and a couple more scattered others.  FJ was an instaget, though.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I always thought they were called "uneven bars".

Me too (not that I knew anything until the contestants spoke up).

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

There was one clue to the D-D category that the contestant pluralized, so I feel that should have been wrong.

There was one last week where I think the category was “it has two letters” and the clue was “this is the surname of the villain in an Ian Fleming novel.” The contestant’s response was “Dr. No,” which I thought should have been wrong because it should simply have been “No.” My interest in applying these rules I have ordained depends on how much I like the contestant, how pleasant or trying a day I’ve had, etc. 😉

Interesting game. Plenty of categories I am weak in, so a good chance to learn something. I did know Booth and wonder how well known the whole story is. I think most people know Lincoln was shot at a theatre (Ford’s), or that might not have been an unreasonable guess.

Did we get a “thank you, Alex” today? I forgot to pay attention because I was busy harrumphing at my cat about missing FJ when all the contestants seemed to find it easy and I had just been thinking earlier today about the hints they throw in. And I’ll do it again now. Harrumph!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did wonder if they would have accepted "dumbsquizzled" for "dumbfounded", since I say the former (even though I think I made it up), and it does fit the category.

My friends and I made up the word “dumbpressed” for things that stunned and impressed us. Also fits the category!

Edited by SHD
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Did we get a “thank you, Alex” today? I forgot to pay attention because I was busy harrumphing at my cat about missing FJ when all the contestants seemed to find it easy and I had just been thinking earlier today about the hints they throw in. And I’ll do it again now. Harrumph!

We did. 🙂

Parallel bars was definitely an incorrect response because the clue did specify women's gymnastics. The parallel bars are a men's gymnastics event. The women's event is called the uneven bars.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

There was one last week where I think the category was “it has two letters” and the clue was “this is the surname of the villain in an Ian Fleming novel.” The contestant’s response was “Dr. No,” which I thought should have been wrong because it should simply have been “No.” My interest in applying these rules I have ordained depends on how much I like the contestant, how pleasant or trying a day I’ve had, etc.

I think that's different, because the Dr. was clearly not supposed to be part of the last name. He was giving the full name.  But, adding the "s" made it no longer fit the clue.  Like they say many times during a rhyme time category.  Or a 13 letter category.

9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

My interest in applying these rules I have ordained depends on how much I like the contestant, how pleasant or trying a day I’ve had, etc. 😉

I think this would be the hardest part of being the host.  I'm that way with figure skating/ice dancing, too. If I hate the music you're skating to, you'll lose. I'd be a horrible judge, too easily influenced by irrelevant things.

• Love 1

I ran the historical marker category. I had a big smile when Jennifer got Jennifer. I wasn’t good about scribbling down all my TSers, but I got Capt, John Wilkes Booth (maybe another one or two) and the FJ of Tiffany. 

They mentioned the Grenoble Olympics. There was a men’s skater in the 1960’s named Scotty Allen who competed there.  I knew him well. When he went to compete in skating events, I used to ride his horse Valhalla for him. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew captain because of MASH.

And I, a military brat, hung my head in shame. I didn't get it. In my defense, I'm the brat of a non-commissioned officer and had few dealings with officers (other than non-coms making rude jokes about them). That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think that's different, because the Dr. was clearly not supposed to be part of the last name. He was giving the full name.  But, adding the "s" made it no longer fit the clue.  Like they say many times during a rhyme time category.  Or a 13 letter category.

You're not wrong.  The situations aren't quite the same.  I was just thinking in the general category of responses which, while clearly indicating knowledge of the underlying fact requested, are perhaps in some way technically "incorrect" or not exactly matching the clue or whatever one might call it.

Now that I think about it, "From D to D" indicates "deltoid," and all the other correct responses were indeed "d...d"," but this clue was "the name of these muscles."  A little consistency on these picayune issues, please?  Do we think Primetimer is paying them to seed the rounds with these once in a while to keep tongues wagging? 😉

We did [get a thanks Alex].

Thanks [Alex]!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

That was a good game last night. I'm glad Helen pulled her socks up so she was in the running for FJ.

I like the new champ - in looks he reminds me of Chris O'Donnell.

I got the ts's of Graham Greene and American Revolution plus the missed DD of John Wilkes Booth.

Instaget FJ - I won't be skunked again this week!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Oh, I was sure you would have gotten it, as I did 🙂 even though my dad was a noncom too! 

Well, as I said, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL. Just a brain fart I'm totally embarrassed about.

15 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I will miss Donesh with his nice smile.

Me, too. 😞 

I don't think they should have given her "Rosanna Arquette." But she lost anyway, so whatever. (She bugged me, sorry.) Really wanted Donesh to come back again, but alas.

FJ = easy

15 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I laughed so hard at Brian's FJ response. Very cute. Ken took it well. 

I didn't get the joke until I read your comment and googled. 😄

I got FJ.  At first I said Motel 8 and I'm like that's not right.  LOL.

I got the ts of chinos, sleeves and Light in August.

I got the entire category of testing right.

I also don't think she should have been given Rosanna Arquette.  It specifically asked for the name of the song.

• Love 4

Motel 8 is an understandable error. When Days Inn started, they had a big "8" at the top of their signs. Many people thought the name of the motel was "8 Days Inn." but if you looked closer, under the big 8 it said "$ and up" - the cheapest room was $8 and their name was really "Days Inn."  (my BFF worked in reservations for many, many years.)

I think there are probably more ways to wear a scarf than there are ways to wear a necktie.

The pretzel knot is one of the knots suggested for these winter items; there aren't as many types as for neckties

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I think there are probably more ways to wear a scarf than there are ways to wear a necktie.

The pretzel knot is one of the knots suggested for these winter items; there aren't as many types as for neckties

Lots more ways to wear a scarf than a necktie, definitely, but I don't think there are a bunch of different knots within scarf wearing like there are for tying ties.

2 hours ago, rubaco said:

I laughed so hard at Brian's FJ response.

Me too.  The "puff pastries" answer for DD had amused me, and then his FJ answer completely cracked me up.

Caligula was a bit surprising as a TS, but another good game.  Donesh is going to kick himself for that DD bet for a while, I'm sure.

I never knew the break-up discussed in "Ms. Jackson" was about Erykah Badu (or anyone famous).

I ran the first round, only missed a few in DJ, and knew FJ instantly, so I had a great game.

• Love 2

I was between Motel 6 and Super 8 for FJ.  I got to the right answer thanks to Lucille Ball.  I watch a lot of TV from decades ago and, if an amount of money comes up, I like to run it through an inflation calculator and see what it would be today.  After many passes through "I Love Lucy," I thought I would try her second series "The Lucy Show" recently.  It was on the air in the mid-60s and I recalled that values quoted then tend to be about 8X in today's money.  51 was close enough to 6X8 for me.  $6 in 1962, incidentally, was worth $8.50 in 1973, when Super 8 set their room rate at $8.88.

Tough loss for Donesh, but he would've been very pleased had his gamble paid off.  I have been playing a board game online with friends about the seven wonders of the world, so it was fresh in my mind.  I thought "Rosanna Arquette" was suspect for essentially the same reason I thought "Dr. No" last week was questionable, when they asked for the surname of the antagonist physician in the "it has two letters" category, but whatever.  I think the way Lisa grimaced and flailed about it made it seem even wronger than it otherwise might have.  I did feel for her, as she seemed very tense throughout.  I can live with those responses getting credit.  "Khan" going through for "Ghengis Khan" was less thrilling.  It's not as though Khan was his last name.  I do think they need to pull up their socks in the judging booth a bit.  They'll be permissive about any number of things like this and then, bang, we'll have another Barry / Berry.  (Yes, I know they're not exactly the same situation, but it feels lacking consistency to me.)

RE Ken, he continues to do fine.  I wonder why they don't try to make his earpiece a bit less obtrusive?  I guess they know we know the host has one in, but I never noticed Alex's as much.  As someone often deeply averse to any change no matter ho superficial, I am not sure when I'll get over the new "CBS Media Ventures" card with new little musical flourish at the end, but I'll be sure and let you all know.  I'm sure everyone is on the edge of their seats.

Finally, a bit of unfinished business.  Checking the J! Archive today, I notice the category yesterday was Movie Settings.  It would've been nice to remember that while considering the clue, and then maybe I would've joined the vast majority in getting it!  And Smith & Wollensky, the steakhouse?  I have never heard of it in my life, and I've been around.  To be fair, it was in the $2K box, and one of the players did know it.  But it seemed pretty obscure to me.  I looked at their menu and I'm sure I would enjoy a meal there but I don't see myself going out of my way for one.  I have my vices I'll blow money on, but fine dining has never really been on the list.  I was genuinely excited by the deal I saw in a Popeye's commercial recently, so I guess that tells you what my palate is used to. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

And Smith & Wollensky, the steakhouse?  I have never heard of it in my life, and I've been around.  To be fair, it was in the $2K box, and one of the players did know it.  But it seemed pretty obscure to me.

It’s a pretty famous NYC steakhouse, though looking online I see they have other locations as well. 

54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lots more ways to wear a scarf than a necktie, definitely, but I don't think there are a bunch of different knots within scarf wearing like there are for tying ties.

Ah, of course! Thank you.

Definitely needed a BMS for "Khan." Khan was the Mongol title, not the name of the ruler. It would be the same as answering King, Emperor or Tsar. Which King?

I got Smith and Wollensky instantly, only because I worked around the corner from the New York location for many years back in the 80s. I think that was their only location way back then.

I said Super 8 for FJ. That was the first and only motel chain I thought of that ostensibly fit the clue. Motel 6 is much more well known. I don't know why my brain went to the other one!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I said Super 8 for FJ. That was the first and only motel chain I thought of that ostensibly fit the clue. Motel 6 is much more well known. I don't know why my brain went to the other one!

I didn't think of it because I haven't heard Tom Bodett leaving the light on for me. I loved those radio ads.

• Love 4

Alex used to say “Good for you.”  Ken (upon hearing Donesh getting the correct DD) said “Aw..nice.”  
There weren’t a lot of TSs last night, and I got a chuckle out of puff sleeves. I got FJ, but was sure it was wrong. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I kind of wish the contestant had looked to the sky, raised his/her fist and yelled "Khaaaaaaan!"

No one ever does it 😞 

I think all of us who read Anne of Green Gables knew the sleeves question. 

• Love 5

G'bye Donesh, we hardly knew ye.  I don't really like the new champ although nothing particular against him.

I got the ts of Caligula and the missed DD of puff sleeves.

For FJ, I was taken up with the "travel" part of the category so was thinking along the lines of some budget airline.  A staying overnight place didn't even occur to me.

eta: read on another board: Brad Pitt and Hermann Rorschach look very much alike. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I got Smith and Wollensky instantly, only because I worked around the corner from the New York location for many years back in the 80s. I think that was their only location way back then.

I got it from a vague pop-culture awareness... It's where Andy gets the steak for Miranda (which she doesn't eat) in The Devil Wears Prada, for one.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't think of it because I haven't heard Tom Bodett leaving the light on for me. I loved those radio ads.

He's a panelist on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me sometimes. Every time he's on I think of that line.

2 hours ago, Trey said:

G'bye Donesh, we hardly knew ye.  I don't really like the new champ although nothing particular against him.

If we couldn't keep Donesh, he was my second choice.

• Love 1

For FJ, I got "Carson City" right away and then "Sacramento" but then I thought "Sacramento is too far away", so I ended up with "Salt Lake City" as my second answer (maybe I thought it said "minerals" instead of "metals", maybe I thought "maybe salt is classified as a metal"). Oh well!

• Love 1

I wasn't really keeping track of how I was doing because I'm stuck on a level in Two Dots, but  I got FJ (Sacramento first, cuz gold rush, obvs.) then I thought silver...Nevada...what's the capital of Nevada..? Oh, yeah, that's right!

So yay me.

• Love 3

I got FJ.

I got the ts of bridge, Huey Lewis and the News, Adam, bed and Good times.

I got the entire categories of up, girl and 80s hits right and the entire category of actors wrong.

And, for whatever reason, I feel very impressed with myself that I got blunderbuss, so just thought I'd throw that out there.

Just now, chessiegal said:

I got Sacramento and the capital of Nevada. I'm surprised no one knew chromosomes.

I don't knw about them, but I think I was over complicating it.

• Love 3

I got Sacramento first, then, like others, had to think for a bit to remember the capital of Nevada.  I got it in plenty of time to write it down and second-guess myself, but I stuck with it in the end.

I also got bridge, Huey Lewis and the News, McMurphy, Good Times, Brie Larsen, and chromosomes.  I thought the clue for "chromosomes" was a little confusing -- I don't think of them as rod-shaped.

I liked Sarah's story of having met Alex on the subway.  Too bad she didn't do better in the game.  Brian reminds me of the kid from "Up".

• Love 4

Woo - three instaget FJs in a row for me this week.  Now that I've said that out loud, I'll probably sit here completely lost for the next two.

I loved the category names in the first round.  I ran that round, but the mythology category doomed me in DJ, and I missed several of the actors, too, plus a few other scattered clues.

Hannah reminds me of a friend of mine, so I was rooting for her, but this was another good good game; Good Times and chromosomes were the only TS I was surprised by.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I definitely said "Sacramento and Carson City" and not "California and Nevada," because I definitely read the question slowly and carefully.  Seriously, I wasn't sure they were as close as 100 miles to one another either, but the dates made things make sense.  I knew it in my heart even if I would've been wrong. 😉

Nothing for Esther Rolle!  Too bad.  "Good Times" doesn't seem to be one of those shows that is always on somewhere so that it would seep into the consciousness of those too young to remember it when it was new.  I was trying to remember the full cast and can't believe I forgot Janet Jackson was on it for a while.

Have we seen a photo during the interviews before?  Between that and the prop comedy last week, they seem willing to try a few new things there.  OK, interesting!  Just don't get too crazy.  "Let's call the whole thing off" was worth a good chuckle.  A lot of those interactions are coming across very natural and cute.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"Good Times" doesn't seem to be one of those shows that is always on somewhere so that it would seep into the consciousness of those too young to remember it when it was new.

I just read this and i started channel surfing. Apparently, "Good Times" is on GET TV at 2:30 AM.  LOL.