Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I feel SO freakin' old.  To not know who Bret Maverick is is one thing, but ROCKFORD?!?!??!?!  I may have to give up Jeopardy! I'm too old for so many of the clues. I didn't even get FJ.  By 1999, I was no longer listening to the radio - I had a CD player on my car!  WHoo Hoooo!! 

I only watched L&O of the 3 Noth shows they mentioned, but I knew he was in the other two, solely from commercials for the shows. i even know his named rhymes with "both" and not "moth."  He was also on L&O Criminal Intent for a while, but he was still playing Mike Logan, so I guess they counted that as one show. I was disappointed they didn't know him, but I think he was more disappointed than I was. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Garner's no longer around to know he's become an unknown.

I'm So depressed over this. I"m gonna take yet another nap.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 1/25/2021 at 10:58 PM, 853fisher said:

If you were tickled by the tidbit about "Fiddler" being popular in Japan, may I recommend "A Miracle of Miracles," the fabulous 2019 documentary about the show?

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched this tonight and really liked it. I particularly liked seeing Topol's interview (love him!) and It was cool to see snippets of Fiddler in so many different languages.

Put me on the list of people who need a smack for not knowing "James Garner."  I knew the name of the show, recognized his face, but his name wasn't coming.  The late Joe Santos, who played Rockford's friend in the LAPD, was on the game show circuit for a few years in the late 70s and all I could hear while trying to think of "James Garner" was "from 'The Rockford Files,' Joe Santos!" in Johnny Olson's voice.  Yeeesh.  Now that I remember clearly, I really liked Garner in "Move Over, Darling" with Doris Day (which would have been "Something's Got to Give" with Marilyn Monroe and Dean Martin had she lived).

I also missed "1999."  I came up with 1982, 1999, and 2016 as the years referenced.  I even thought, "1999, that's a great song...now what unites these three years?"  I really didn't think "1999," the song, was released as early as the 80s.  Talk about "if it were a dog it would bite you."  I don't think I have earned any ice cream tonight.

Even though I didn't deserve to feel smug tonight, I groaned at "vampires" too.  A pack of vampires?  Too bad.  Of course Gabrielle joined me in missing FJ anyway so it was a moot point, but it could have been a lot closer.  I loved the Catskills clue, which was so clever.  I think Cheryl Hines is still on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," so I wasn't sure why that was in the past tense.  I never knew Calista Flockhart and Harrison Ford were married, but a friend and I were talking yesterday about how "Ally McBeal" was one of the "it shows" for a few years and then, boom, it really doesn't seem well-remembered at all.

5 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched this tonight and really liked it. I particularly liked seeing Topol's interview (love him!) and It was cool to see snippets of Fiddler in so many different languages.

My pleasure.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!  🙂

• Love 2
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Wow! 3 different shows, covering 30 years of Chris Noth's career and it's a TS?! I understand the James Garner TS (since he's mainly known for one series 40+ years ago and he died several years ago), but Chris Noth? Besides Chris & James, I also got Finland, werewolf (missed DD. "pack"!!! I screamed at the screen when she said "vampire"), wombat, and got as far as "Louis Z-something" (for "Unbroken" survivor). I also thought FJ was an instaget.

Garner had two big series - Brett Maverick (which I never saw) and Rockford Files. But he was in 8 Simple Rules as a regular, and many other films and such and worked up until 2010.  That being said, I knew him immediately because he was one of my favorite actors when I was a child, well before I saw him on tv (to be fair, I was out of the country when Brett Maverick was on - I probably would have seen him then.) Yep, I'm old.

I haven't seen Chris Noth in anything, though I could picture his face - but nothing else.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Chris Noth and James Garner! People should also know James Garner because he’s in one of the greatest movies ever - Victor/Victoria.

Loved that movie! It might not hold up too well in today's world, but it was something back then.

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I did the math on the first part of FJ and came up with 1999, but I didn't know why it would chart the third time. When Ken pointed out that 2016 was the year Prince died, it made sense. (Remember when we were all cursing 2016 for taking so many greats?)

Unfortunately, I did the math wrong and came up with the wrong second date. I'm not good at doing math in my head - which is why I'd be terrible figuring out what to bet on Jeopardy. 😆

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was out of the country when Brett Maverick was on - I probably would have seen him then.

You can catch Maverick with Brothers Bret (James Garner), Bart (Jack Kelly), Beauregard (Beau) (Roger Moore), and Brent (Robert Colbert) daily on the Starz Encore Westerns channel.  

Wow, Brian's on a roll.  Hope I didn't jinx him! I like him and am enjoying seeing him do well without steamrolling the other players, who have generally played well.

• Love 2
On 1/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, zoey1996 said:
On 1/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, ams1001 said:

Also wondering when the champ when they shut down will be back (he hasn't been, right?).

Gilligan was champ for the last game with Alex, broadcast Friday, Jan. 8 2021, originally scheduled to run Dec. 25 2020. He appeared in the next game broadcast Monday Jan. 11 2021. He came in second in that game.

I think the "champ when they shut down" is referencing the champ from earlier in 2020 when production shut down due to Covid.  I don't think that person has been back.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I may have to give up Jeopardy! I'm too old for so many of the clues. I didn't even get FJ.  By 1999, I was no longer listening to the radio - I had a CD player on my car!  WHoo Hoooo!! 

I am getting too old for Jeopardy! too.  I just miss so many clues now because I don't keep up with pop culture. I did not get FJ and wouldn't have got it if I'd sat there forever.

I love  the name for trainspotters in this clue -

A ferroequinologist is a fancy name for someone who enjoys this hobby, also the name of a 1996 Ewan McGregor film.

I did get some ts's: Finland, Chris Noth, James Garner, and Niki Lauda plus the missed DD of Werewolf.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I confidently shouted "Bohemian Rhapsody!" for FJ, not thinking about or doing the math.  I know it charted again after the movie came out, but if I'd done the math, I would have gotten it right.  

The same happened here, so no FJ for me. 
   I got Chris Noth, James Garner (loved the Rockford Files) and the missed DD of Werewolf. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

I think the "champ when they shut down" is referencing the champ from earlier in 2020 when production shut down due to Covid.  I don't think that person has been back.

Yes, that's what I meant.

26 minutes ago, Trey said:

I am getting too old for Jeopardy! too.  I just miss so many clues now because I don't keep up with pop culture. I did not get FJ and wouldn't have got it if I'd sat there forever.

I especially don't do well with current music categories. I'm a little better with TV and movies, if only by osmosis in a lot of cases.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Trey said:

I am getting too old for Jeopardy! too.  I just miss so many clues now because I don't keep up with pop culture.

I do miss some of the newer pop culture clues, especially if rap/hip hop is involved.  However, I feel I make up for it with my knowledge of older pop culture clues ( like James Garner). I remember quite a few occasions when Alex said the contestants were "too young" if they all missed certain clues.

• Love 4

A ferroequinologist is a fancy name for someone who enjoys this hobby, also the name of a 1996 Ewan McGregor film.

Yeah, I was all proud of my Latin and was trying my hardest to figure out when Ewan McGregor starred in "The Horseshoe Collector" ... oops.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I remember quite a few occasions when Alex said the contestants were "too young" if they all missed certain clues.

Yes. "It was before your time." was one of his favourite lines.

Now, so much of it is "after" my time🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 1/25/2021 at 2:22 AM, Cherpumple said:

But now that I think about it, how does he [Ken]  know the correct response was given? Are they written somewhere on his podium, or does he get a signal through his earpiece? Alex made everything look so seamless that I never really thought about it before.

I've noticed Ken writing an X, so I believe he's got the same setup Alex used (this one is on permanent display backstage):

968a349b-2c32-4b8c-a1f3-cadfed789b8d-Jeo

PvCfOIq.jpeg

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Scott said:

Yeah, I was all proud of my Latin and was trying my hardest to figure out when Ewan McGregor starred in "The Horseshoe Collector" ... oops.

My husband translated it (after I rapidly answered) to iron horse. Which made sense to me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, chessiegal said:

Andy Saunders on The Jeopardy! Fan says Zach Newkirk will be back on Thursday.

5 hours ago, SweetSable said:

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Ah, OK, I misunderstood. As quoted above by Chessiegal, looks like he’ll be back tomorrow (Thursday Jan. 28).

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Ah, OK, I misunderstood. As quoted above by Chessiegal, looks like he’ll be back tomorrow (Thursday Jan. 28).

That's okay...I didn't remember his name until Chessiegal's post. 😛 

I just went to the Jfan site and there are a couple of comments at the bottom - one from Zach (returning champ) and one from Brian (current champ):

(I copied and pasted... hope this is legal!)

~~~

Zach N (from the sidebar) | January 27, 2021 at 11:59 am | Reply

Interestingly, had all three contestants on Friday, January 22 missed the FJ, they would have all ended with $0 and there would have been no returning champion for the next game. By sheer coincidence, I was scheduled to return for the next taping. It would have been perfect, but 2/3 of the players knew Captain Cook and the rest is history.

Brian Chang | January 27, 2021 at 12:36 pm | Reply

“Perfect” is not how I would describe that scenario. ❤️

~~~

And this one made me giggle:

Zach N (from the sidebar) | January 27, 2021 at 9:53 am | Reply

“Zach Newkirk waits in the wings to face the winner . . .” more like “Zach Newkirk nervously bites his fingernails in the audience section of the studio . . .”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

How is everyone feeling about Ken Jennings’ hosting?

I confess, I went into the first episode after Alex’s finale despising Ken Jennings.  But I have begun to really like him in this role, and I am not looking forward to all the random guest hosts that are on their way in.  Katie Couric?  Um, no.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

I confess, I went into the first episode after Alex’s finale despising Ken Jennings.  But I have begun to really like him in this role, and I am not looking forward to all the random guest hosts that are on their way in.  Katie Couric?  Um, no.

I went into it reserving judgment. I've never disliked Ken (never read his twitter feed or anything so I didn't know about any of those posts until people started talking about them here) but I wasn't sure he was a "host" type; I definitely think he has room for improvement but I think he's doing a respectable job so far.

• Love 3
On 11/11/2020 at 12:01 PM, Driad said:

Speaking of defunct airlines, does anyone else remember Mohawk?

I do... but never flew them. They eventually became part of what is the current American Airlines, thanks to their merger with USAirways. Mohawk merged with what was still Allegheny Airlines, in the early to mid-70’s (I’m pretty sure). The Allegheny name was kept from that joining. At some point after the merger, Allegheny became USAir &, finally, USAirways, successively, after merging with other airlines including Piedmont & Pacific Southwest Airlines (better known as PSA)—those names were given to airlines operating commuter services for USAir & USAirways prior to the merger with American.

• Love 3

All three contestants missed FJ today.  I didn't think it was super hard.

As impressive as Brian has been, he missed some easy ones today, especially in the first round.  I thought Alex was going to pull ahead in DJ.  But Brian rallied back.  Surprising (and risky) Zero wager on FJ, but it worked out for him.

• Love 2

I got Hickok, but not Custer.  Yeah, I don't know -- Custer seems to be the more obvious one.

Yet another game where the third place contestant should have bet nothing.

It seemed like there were a lot of TS, but the only one I got was Dave Chappelle.

• Love 1

I got FJ.  Custer was an instaget and Hickock was a guess.

I got the ts of naughty, bogus, Grant, Hoover, and George III.  Pretty good night for me.

I was surprised about the zero wager, because wasn't Alex only $1,000 or so behind?  But maybe he just knew that wasn't his subject and he was more likely to be wrong than right.

• Love 1

Good game tonight! I knew bogus, Grant (missed DD), Krishna, Hoover, Ford, and George III (the latter was a wild guess). In FJ, I knew Custer but not Hickock. I guessed Geronimo, thinking there would be a "twist" that one of the two was a Native American. If Alex's answer had otherwise been correct, would they have given him credit for "Custard?" I say no (not to get into another Barry/Berry argument).

Eager for the Brian/Zack showdown tomorrow!

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I do... but never flew them. They eventually became part of what is the current American Airlines, thanks to their merger with USAirways. Mohawk merged with what was still Allegheny Airlines, in the early to mid-70’s (I’m pretty sure). The Allegheny name was kept from that joining. At some point after the merger, Allegheny became USAir &, finally, USAirways, successively, after merging with other airlines including Piedmont & Pacific Southwest Airlines (better known as PSA)—those names were given to airlines operating commuter services for USAir & USAirways prior to the merger with American.

Thanks for the memories. We used to refer to Allegheny as Agony Airlines. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I ran the celebrity couples category. I'm not sure whether I am proud or embarrassed. I really don't pay that much attention, but it's sunk in somehow.

And here I was, answering Leonardo DiCaprio for Gisele Bundchen. The only reason I even knew that was because my cousin met the two of them, and told me about it.

For FJ today I could only think of Billy the Kid. I blame the earlier Bill & Ted reference 😉

• Love 3

The Krishna TS surprised me a bit; whenever I know a religion/mythology clue, I figure at least one contestant will.  No one recognizing Dave Chappelle was also unexpected.

But, wow, I had another crappy game; that's two this week, and it's only frakkin' Wednesday!  I didn't get FJ, which capped off not getting probably 40-50% of the clues.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

If Alex's answer had otherwise been correct, would they have given him credit for "Custard?" I say no (not to get into another Barry/Berry argument).

I had a good laugh at “General Custard!” 😆

No, he would have been wrong. That’s not even just a pronunciation error, that’s a completely different word.

• Love 5

I'm very weak in the Wild West.  I just don't get into that part of history: I'm a bit prissy for it, maybe, although my move to California several years ago got has gotten me a little more interested in the frontier.  Anyway, "long hair" confused me, but "buckskin" made me think of Davy Crocket.  I guess I was thinking of his coonskin cap.  Anyway, I spent the next 20 seconds trying to think of "the other one" and was awfully pleased myself for coming up with Daniel Boone right as the music finished.  Not really even close!  I might as well have said Frozen Yogurt.

It was looking rocky for Brian for a little while, but he is a very strong player and I think he has a carefully considered betting strategy.  Not a bad game for me, although "Books by Presidents" was much tougher than I expected.  I could have done without seeing Kevin Hart.  I guess people find him very "real," but I think he's a real jackass and I am grateful my interests rarely intersect with his work.  Why does J! seem to like him so much?  He presented a clue during the GOAT special too.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I like him. I like the way he interacts with the contestants - he's been on their side of the show and I think he relates well.  I have no problem with any of the other guest hosts - I have no idea what they'll be like until I see them, just like Ken.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For FJ, I pre-guessed "Kit Carson."

I got Custer - and then I (seriously) said Kit Carson, because that's all my mind could dredge up. Thank you Jeopardy forum, for putting him in my mind! 😉

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

No, he would have been wrong. That’s not even just a pronunciation error, that’s a completely different word.

My first thought was he confused real people with Clue - (Col. Mustard...).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

He'll be regretting that for a good long time. It was funny though.

It was a pretty good game for me for a change.  I got the ts's of Dave Chapelle, Sim City, and George III, plus the missed DD of U.S. Grant.

For FJ, Kit Carson, Davy Crockett flitted through my mind but I knew Davy Crockett died at the Alamo - not sure where Kit Carson died - the long flowing hair brought me pretty quickly to Wild Bill Hickock. Then I went to Sitting Bull but then I pictured Custer in buckskins (I must have seen pictures at some time) so I went with those two.  Ken's comment that one was killed in a poker game and one died in battle made me pretty sure I was right.  All my thoughts were quicker than typing this out so I had it in plenty of time.

• Love 2

I was able to come up with Dave Chappell and George III. On FJ Wild Bill came to me easily as I am a fan of the (older) series Deadwood, but couldn’t come up with Custer so a .5 for me. I probably should have had a glass of wine, but miss my drinking partner @peeayebee

• Love 2
On 1/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, Mindthinkr said:
On 1/26/2021 at 4:15 PM, Trey said:

St. Anthony has been my go-to saint for a long time now.

Same here. I have talked to him so often that sometimes I call him Tony. 

"Tony, Tony, look around. Something's lost that can't be found." Works every time.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

My first thought was he confused real people with Clue - (Col. Mustard...).

That's what I thought too.

It was Colonel Custard, in the saloon, with the Colt45.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2021 at 8:11 PM, M. Darcy said:

Heh, and yes, I know it’s weird I know how old Prince Edward is.

I'm two weeks late to the party here, lol, but you are not weird for knowing how old Prince Edward is!  I'm a huge Royal Family fan, so it took me about .02 seconds to get the answer that night.  My personal belief is that the Final Jeopardy category should always be either The British Royal Family, Boy George or 80's TV.

And I have to throw in my two cents about Ken, which is that my family and I are really enjoying him.  No one is Alex, of course, but we like him. And we're glad he seems to be reading the clues a bit slower than his first few games.

• Love 5

I am just now getting over my grief that no one recognized James Garner. I used to cut class to watch Maverick reruns on the local UHF station (ask your grandparents), and then The Rockford Files, and Bret Maverick, and so many good films. YouTube must have a compilation of the Rockford answering machine messages.

• Love 7

I am not  usually a shallow person, but I do have a thing about strange mouths.   It started in my childhood when our family doctor had horrible teeth and I was scared of him and evolved into a dislike of weird mouths.   I cannot deal with the champ and Ken's lisp or whatever it is at the same time......I just can't.  Sometimes it is not even so much the lisp as the way their mouths look when pronouncing words.  Just like singers, there are some I can watch and some I can just listen to. 

7 hours ago, ABay said:

I am just now getting over my grief that no one recognized James Garner. I used to cut class to watch Maverick reruns on the local UHF station (ask your grandparents), and then The Rockford Files, and Bret Maverick, and so many good films. YouTube must have a compilation of the Rockford answering machine messages.

No all that plus one of my favorite movies with Doris Day....did someone say soap? 

I like Brian well enough but I'm rooting for Zach. I liked him and was sad he got cut short so I want him to get a chance.

I got Levi's. It was a guess. 😉 

Just finished the first round...I wasn't really keeping track but I got all the Literature clues so that makes me happy.

Edit: 15 minutes later

FJ = Instaget

Sorry, Brian, but Yay, Zach.

• Love 2