Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: The Italian's Job

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Sometimes you use "honey" and "sweetheart" to keep from using worse words...LOL!  (Or at least that's how it is here in the south.)

But Pete, deservedly, Alex and Rob, who have penises, get called up and called out.  Yet Hannah, for 5 seasons, using "honey and sweetie" in place of swear words, gets a pass.

Her behavior gets rationalized season after season. She is mean, condescending, and snotty.

Why she gets excuses and Pete is vilified is something I don't understand.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

On WWHL Sandy claimed Hannah never told her that Lara got physical yet in the never before seen footage shown on last night's repeat. Hannah clearly did tell her.

Not only is Sandy a terrible manager, she's also a lying liar who lies. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, elsie said:

Ending on a shallow note; Roy Orbison Jr would do me as a viewer a great service if he wore a shirt to meals. That was much more up close and personal boobage than I was prepared for.

It just seems really wrong to show up to dinner (un)dressed like that. I mean, it's his party, but .... yuk

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, snarts said:

On WWHL Sandy claimed Hannah never told her that Lara got physical yet in the never before seen footage shown on last night's repeat. Hannah clearly did tell her.

Not only is Sandy a terrible manager, she's also a lying liar who lies. 

Did anyone watch the ‘never before seen’ episode? How did that conversation look with Hannah telling Sandy that Lara got physical? How could Sandy possibly justify that? And how is she now playing dumb on live tv the same night that footage aired? She is really such a crappy boss. I know people have their issues with Captain Lee but I have no doubt Lara would have been gone immediately had he been captain. 

• Love 22
(edited)
16 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I don’t understand how Sandy can think that her having the ”sweetheart” conversation with the deck guys is going to earn Malia any respect from them.  First of all, it looks like Malia went and tattled on them.  Second, Malia needed to handle that herself.  It’s not like she tried and they ignored her.  We didn’t see her say a word to them about finding that inappropriate.

Bolding mine : Yes, we did ! 1st episode. And, after that, he called her "Master Malia" !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 10

I think Pete uses the tern sweetie in a generic way. A lot of guys in the UK will call women Love or all guys, Lad etc. Duck is another common regional one as is Babe. It doesn't really mean anything derogatory, it is just one of those things you say. It is probably just an English thing which is why Hannah also does it a lot !

The meeting at the end between Malia, Sandy and the deck crew was the worst way to handle Malia's grievance ! It just showed her up as a weak woman who needs to run to her boss to sort out problems. Instead she should have just laid down the law with the lads - they would have respected her far more for it ! She may have the deck skills - but she is vastly lacking in managerial experience and skills !!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

I long for the days when deck hands would call Hannah a "Cock Juggling Thundercunt".

No. Never again please. That is a level of vulgarity that I can't/won't watch.

Yikes!!! Captain Sandy has shown what a horrible manager she is with the two opposite and both incorrect manners of handling personnel issues, Hannah's and Malia's. Hannah was undermined with "Sweet Sandy" and Malia was undermined in front of her entire crew by Hurricane Sandy. Malia is going to have more trouble obtaining and holding respect from her crew from that meeting. Why embarrass the entire crew like that when the night before they were all professing their happiness to be working under the unusual situation of female captain and female bosun? For at least two of them, I think it's true. Poor Pete with his fumbling "compliment" of being inspired by a female boss. He doesn't get it but I believe in the Praise in Public, Punish in Private leadership mode so I would take Pete aside (again) in a sit down meeting and spell it out clearly and reference that this is an official warning.

I think it was crazy that the one bus was singing about kicking Lara off the boat! Wow! No one likes her, except Pete of course. 

I had to admire Pete understanding that the boat was only as strong as their weakest link, and Lara was the weakest link. He's gross but I think he was right to try and bring her back to the team.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, lcarolynl said:

I had to admire Pete understanding that the boat was only as strong as their weakest link, and Lara was the weakest link. He's gross but I think he was right to try and bring her back to the team.  

But I kind of thought that him "bringing her back" was the way to endear him to her. Like, he's her savior/only friend

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I have to admit, I was just a tiny bit scared when Kiko said he likes to play music. He's adorable and all, but I don't need to see another singing crew. 

He also said he has a guitar. My reaction was “Noooooo!”

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I loved Kiko clicking his heels in the air, and then showing Hannah how his eyes go when he's around his girlfriend (wish I could have seen his actual eyes rather than in profile, but I think he is sweet).  I put a lot more weight on his opinion of Lara and her work-with-ability than I do Hannah's, because he seems so sweet.  Although he swore at the--was it the waffle iron?--heh.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, dosodog said:

So.  For 4 years, Hannah has used "sweetie, honey, darling" and it's just now a problem with professionalism? Conrad even told her how much he hated it and how condescending it was.

A woman can call me sweetie, honey, darling and even the b and c words if I deserve it, but a man no way, I thought you all knew why.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I loved Kiko clicking his heels in the air, and then showing Hannah how his eyes go when he's around his girlfriend (wish I could have seen his actual eyes rather than in profile, but I think he is sweet).  I put a lot more weight on his opinion of Lara and her work-with-ability than I do Hannah's, because he seems so sweet.  Although he swore at the--was it the waffle iron?--heh.

I feel like he even cusses adorably.  F$ck you, carrots!

I don’t remember if it was the waffle iron this week, or some other  utensil, but it was cute.  His food looks really good too.  I would love a dinner of all tapas!

I hate that it’s now becoming a trend to replace a lost crew member with someone from a previous season, and try to make it a big cliffhanger.  I wish they could bring Colin back somehow.  He could be a stew!  And he and Kiko would be a cute bromance.

• Love 11

Roy Jr's Ace of Base best friend was in a Nazi skinhead band as a teenager. Says he's put it all behind him, though. I'd normally make allowances for growing and changing, except I saw some of the lyrics and let's just say they merit more than a shrug and Real Housewife-like insistence that we put it all behind us because he did.

Sandy would have served Malia much better had she simply lurked and caught him doing it and then laid into him. But I also suspect she HAS overheard some of their other conversations and knowing how Capt Lee took heat for a hostile work environment, decided to come out swinging at first sign of trouble.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Iris987 said:

Ha! The first thing I thought of when she read that was 'what idiot wrote that blurb?' I mean, it's technically correct but it's so much more than that. You'll love it. 

I’m a lifelong, excessive book-reader. Both The Secret History and The Goldfinch (by the same author, Donna Tartt) are in my top 10 favorite books of all time. I feel like hardly anyone ever talks about The Secret History, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it mentioned. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

I love how surprised these people seem by the level of douchery prevalent in their ranks. This is an industry staffed, it seems, by mainly transient people with emotional issues and little to tie them to reality on land, exacerbated by the fact that they're a REALITY show group. Maybe there's a professional crew on other yachts, but you're never going to find it on Bravo (and I'm never going to find it ever, I can't imagine having enough money to go on one of these vacations). 

The entire "Sweetie" mess, and I agree, it's a mess that was totally mishandled from the get go, should have been cut short early on. At the risk of mansplaining, there's a reason superiors are addressed as "sir" or "ma'am." If Sandy had a basic check in meeting with her department heads, or recognized that this could become an issue given that there were three women in managerial positions in a very male-dominated industry, Sandy could have mandated that your superiors are to be responded to as "yes ma'am." It's not hard to do and it imbues the separation you need among the crew. When I address you, chief stew or bosun, you respond "Yes ma'am or aye captain," we're professionals on the water and that's what we're going to do. If you don't like it, I'm sure there's a shrimp trawl waiting somewhere. Then you have the crew meeting and say "This is how you address me, and this is how you address your manager, period." Now the issue is closed, and expectations are set. 

ETA: Now Malia's going to basically be treated like Rhylee was, as a tattle tale who couldn't handle her own crew over something so easily handled. 

You know there's trouble when on day three, you have to tell your crew 10 AM means 10AM, not 1005. Again, this should have been addressed at a meeting before a guest stepped on board. And I couldn't agree more with whoever said bad job by Sandy meeting Lar aoff the boat and having her stuff packed for her. THe correct answer is "I'm a boat captain, if you want to talk to me, come on the boat. alternatively, I can toss your shit overboard and you can fish it the fuck out of the water."

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17
20 hours ago, dosodog said:

But Pete, deservedly, Alex and Rob, who have penises, get called up and called out.  Yet Hannah, for 5 seasons, using "honey and sweetie" in place of swear words, gets a pass.

Her behavior gets rationalized season after season. She is mean, condescending, and snotty.

Why she gets excuses and Pete is vilified is something I don't understand.  

Hannah's use of it is obnoxious and would grate at me, but it's not gendered. She's using it for both men and women. If Pete starts calling his male co-workers "sweetie," then I will agree there is a double standard here.

• Useful 3
  • Love 18
21 minutes ago, lisalionheart said:

Hannah's use of it is obnoxious and would grate at me, but it's not gendered. She's using it for both men and women. If Pete starts calling his male co-workers "sweetie," then I will agree there is a double standard here.

Couldn't agree more...it is literally impossible, somehow, to mistake when someone is using it benignly for when they're using it as a pejorative and a way to infantilize anyone they're speaking to. I don't know WHY, but I know that's real. Whoever said it's analogous to "bless her heart" in the south is 100% correct.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, dosodog said:

As far as the reset went.  Did Hannah even try?  I dont consider venting about a co worker, loud enough to hear you, at a relaxed dinner.  

What is it with Chief Stews that their time off is when they openly talk about people on their crew on their time off?  Jenna did it constantly and the rest of the crew jumped in and created the Mean Girl group.  Working so closely on a boat is makes it even worse.  I think Madison on BD Sailing worked in a Mean Girl atmosphere created by her Chief Stew.'

That being said, Lara was only hired to create drama.  But I don't think the producers thought she would quit an hour before 2nd Charter.  I don't know how Lara keeps any job past her first day.  

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

I long for the days when deck hands would call Hannah a "Cock Juggling Thundercunt".

No-that was so gross and misogynistic-I'm hoping Bravo learned after the brus (among other issues). There are plenty of ways to insult Hannah, but slut shaming her isn't one of them. Who cares if women see multiple men, which Hannah wasn't (although Jaoa was pursuing two stews)? Also I know the c-word is not as vile in England at least (not sure about Zimbabwe, but possibly based on the history), but it is still a shocking word in the U.S. Also Hannah outranked him and while I would never call a subordinate or a boss "sweetie" or "honey", I for sure wouldn't call them a slut shaming c-word.

I have a long list of who I would like the new stew to be, but the rumored replacement is not one of them. I know Josiah is living in Mallorca and I wish it were him, but he is more likely to charter the yacht now. I guess they need someone Pete can hit on without knowing their name though.

Pete had an IG story about people littering face masks, but managed to call people that wear them "PPE p*ssies."

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

No-that was so gross and misogynistic-I'm hoping Bravo learned after the brus (among other issues). There are plenty of ways to insult Hannah, but slut shaming her isn't one of them. Who cares if women see multiple men, which Hannah wasn't (although Jaoa was pursuing two stews)? Also I know the c-word is not as vile in England at least (not sure about Zimbabwe, but possibly based on the history), but it is still a shocking word in the U.S. Also Hannah outranked him and while I would never call a subordinate or a boss "sweetie" or "honey", I for sure wouldn't call them a slut shaming c-word.

It was an insult on a drunken night off that I thought was funny. It's obvious that I loathe Hannah, I think she is the absolute worst.

I thought the misogyny of the brus was reprehensible and I'm still pissed that Andy pretty much let them slide at the reunion.

• Love 2

Maybe it is a millennial thing but I don't think I have ever said to my boss, "You don't tell me what to do," that sort of attitude would be grounds for immediate dismissal, why did Hannah let that behavior go on with Lara?

I have noticed that on other seasons with other stews they would get testy about having to be told what and how to do it...why is it so hard to understand that is how it is the work place?

Did I have that option all along but did not know? If so I would like to speak to my boss from a job when I was 17...lol.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Maybe it is a millennial thing but I don't think I have ever said to my boss, "You don't tell me what to do," that sort of attitude would be grounds for immediate dismissal, why did Hannah let that behavior go on with Lara?

I have noticed that on other seasons with other stews they would get testy about having to be told what and how to do it...why is it so hard to understand that is how it is the work place?

Did I have that option all along but did not know? If so I would like to speak to my boss from a job when I was 17...lol.

Lara’s behavior being attributed to being a millennial trait makes about as much sense as blaming her attitude on her being Italian or having aggressive eyebrows. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Lara’s behavior being attributed to being a millennial trait makes about as much sense as blaming her attitude on her being Italian or having aggressive eyebrows.

and while I totally agree with you, Lara may even be the next generation (is it Z?) Most millennials should be given the respect of growing out of their undeserved reputation, as they are between (depending on the source of info) 26 and 40 years old

As I have two millennial young adult kids I'm f'king tired of it.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Lara’s behavior being attributed to being a millennial trait makes about as much sense as blaming her attitude on her being Italian or having aggressive eyebrows. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Agreed...every generatoin and nationality has an abundance of assholes. That's all she is. A generic asshole. She said she was always backtalking teachers, people told her she should be a lawyer, but here she is, unable to handle being a waitress on a boat. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I don't know...those eyebrows were pretty aggressive!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

and while I totally agree with you, Lara may even be the next generation (is it Z?) Most millennials should be given the respect of growing out of their undeserved reputation, as they are between (depending on the source of info) 26 and 40 years old

As I have two millennial young adult kids I'm f'king tired of it.

Haha, as an older millennial, I am equally tired of it. When people were bitching about millennials partying on spring break during early coronapocalypse, my millennial friends and I were like, "we haven't been in college in YEARS. We're in our 30s now. Ain't nobody partying during spring break. We're busy worrying about our boomer parents not listening to health officials."

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

We millennials who understand how the workplace works would never.  Those of us who have student loans and other bills to pay would look for a new job if we absolutely hate the one we're in. Lara seems like an entitled little brat, who would drive anyone insane. 

1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Haha, as an older millennial, I am equally tired of it. When people were bitching about millennials partying on spring break during early coronapocalypse, my millennial friends and I were like, "we haven't been in college in YEARS. We're in our 30s now. Ain't nobody partying during spring break. We're busy worrying about our boomer parents not listening to health officials."

Exactly!

• Love 4

BYE LARA!

I am liking Jessica.  And I’m surprised that Malia is growing on my because I could not stand her too much on her other season.

Why was Hannah responsible for checking on the sleeping kids when the primary brought their nanny along??  

• Love 16
On 6/15/2020 at 11:08 PM, LaLaLaLa said:

............Also, Malia always refers to the guys on her team as "boys". She doesn't have any credibility regarding "sweetie".

Actually, I did hear Malia say, "Thanks guys" to her crew. That does sound much better than "boys".

• Love 3
On 6/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, Jsage said:

....... Malia mentioned them calling her sweetheart and Sandy immediately swooped in, called the guys to the bridge and threatened their jobs if they say sweetie or sweetheart ever again. ...........

Isn't only Pete who called Malia "sweetheart" or "sweetie"?

On 6/16/2020 at 2:39 PM, Diane Mars said:

Bolding mine : Yes, we did ! 1st episode. And, after that, he called her "Master Malia" !

Really? I must have missed it. I've been waiting for Malia to speak up to Pete and tell him to lay off the "sweet heart" and "sweetie".

• Love 1
On 6/16/2020 at 5:53 PM, nokat said:

A woman can call me sweetie, honey, darling and even the b and c words if I deserve it, but a man no way, I thought you all knew why.

Exactly.

The more relevant distinction between Hannah and Pete is that Pete feels entitled to address his superior, Malia, this way. If the difference still isn't clear, try imagining Pete addressing another superior this way. Like Captain Lee.

IIRC, Hannah has never done the equivalent to her superior, Sandy.

• Love 7
On 6/15/2020 at 10:35 PM, PaperTree said:

Lost in all the drama is how fantastic Kiko is, well except for his concept of time 🙂 

They couldn't fire Pete (aka god's gift to the world) already down a stew.

Kiko is a welcome addition to the show. He is very easy going.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Kiko is a welcome addition to the show. He is very easy going.

AGREE!!! 🥰🥰🥰.  And as I said before I like Jessica too!  She seems like she is there to put in the work but also enjoy it for what it is.  I thinks she is so pretty too!

• Love 6