Type keyword(s) to search

90DF Live Chat 2: This Thread is Only 60% Good

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Hope Tarik remembered to order the white patent leather shoes to complement the outfit.

Why, yes he did! 

6C6FEA56-7F83-4375-9278-680E1C07FFA0.jpeg

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

OMG ..  I’m so sorry.  My Son was driving up to New York from Florida along I-95 and had to stop two nights instead of none Ashe said the rain and wind was like a monsoon on the interstate.  Everything this world has gone crazy  😥.  The link is so sad .. little kids on the floor with no home .. people’s dreams shattered.

Edited by Silver Bells
12 hours ago, Coltee Gal said:

Amira sounds like a robot. And can these motherfuckers please, for the love of sanity, stop calling each other baby.  Sheeesh.

Interesting you should say that, I keep thinking she looks like she’s in a hostage situation.  She seems so victimized to me.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Eastern Kentucky. We've been declared a federal disaster area.

I am so sorry.  I had a friend in NOLA who was from Falmouth, KY, and she told me about a horrible flood there when she was little.  She moved back into her family home after her husband and her parents all died, and she was flooded again from the Licking River in the 90's,  It seems that part of Kentucky gets a lot of bad weather.  I know, based on hurricane experiences, how long it takes to put things back together again.  💓

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 5
On 3/6/2021 at 9:08 AM, sainte-chapelle said:

I will definitely check in for the snark on Sunday. My dad was getting better but suddenly died in the middle of the night. I haven’t seen him in 2 weeks due to lockdown. I think I will need an hour or so of distraction.

Oh no...I’m so sorry.  😢

• Love 2
On 3/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Did you see Dolly singing "Vaccine, vaccine" to the tune of Jolene? 

Yes! And "don't be such a chicken squat. Get out there and get yer shot!"

I don't know her whole songwriting catalog, but I'd say that's her best song yet. 💓

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, mamadrama said:

Oh no, that's terrible @mamadrama. Hope everyone is safe...and that you were able to rescue some of your precious keepsakes and heirlooms and such.

I don't pray anymore, but we'll keep you guys in our thoughts.

Edited by Trackdawg
Dettra
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Trackdawg said:

I don't know her whole songwriting catalog, but I'd say that's her best song yet. 💓

Her most famous song is "I Will Always Love You."  Once you hear Dolly sing it, you'll probably feel (as I do) that Whitney Houston's version is good . . . but Dolly's is the best.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Watching the First Look for this week. What is up with Stephanie’s skin? 

She puts her hair in ponytails for her liquid lunch date with Hair-us, and during the meal her hair changes styles and back again several times. Sloppy editing! 

9E9BC27F-79BE-4C72-B8DA-C9758A2692E9.jpeg

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, magemaud said:

She puts her hair in ponytails for her liquid lunch date with Hair-us, and during the meal her hair changes styles and back again several times. Sloppy editing! 

I noticed that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, magemaud said:

Just popped in to comment about the hair thing as well.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, magemaud said:

What is up with Stephanie’s skin? 

I suspect that's what happens when she doesn't refresh her injections. Remember how she runs a med-spa and uses "vitamin" (since when is juviderm a vitamin? Lol) syringes on her face? That's only a temporary fix for aging skin. I guess there are no med spas in Stephanie's Belizean dick-hunting ground.

• LOL 2
On 3/9/2021 at 7:17 AM, AZChristian said:

Her most famous song is "I Will Always Love You."  Once you hear Dolly sing it, you'll probably feel (as I do) that Whitney Houston's version is good . . . but Dolly's is the best.

Of course I know that song, @AZChristian! And I remember how appreciative and gracious Dolly was about Whitney covering it (and the massive influx of royalties that brought to Dolly as the songwriter). I just meant that I don't know many of her songs besides that, 9 to 5 and Islands In The Stream.

And about which rendition is better, I would have to respectfully disagree. Dolly's is definitely more intimate and relatable, but Whitney was probably my second-fave female vocalist of all time. She was such a powerhouse in the 80s and early 90s, it was a damn shame how her voice diminished later on...and worse, her tragic and untimely end. Also -- forgive me for dragging you down an arcane rabbit hole that prolly no one here besides maybe @Floatingbison and @Doublemint cares about -- the whole recording on Whitney's version was simply mindblowing. David Foster (though he seems like an arrogant ass on TV) was a huge influence on me, and he put together an all-star group of session players: Dean Parks and Michael Landau on guitars, Neil Stubenhaus on bass, Ricky Lawson on drums, Bashiri Johnson on percussion, ...and Ron Huff has always been one of my idols as an arranger.

Sorry y'all, huuuugely divergent detour. Back to topic, this is another one of my favorite records:

giphy.gif

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Trackdawg said:

Of course I know that song, @AZChristian! And I remember how appreciative and gracious Dolly was about Whitney covering it (and the massive influx of royalties that brought to Dolly as the songwriter). I just meant that I don't know many of her songs besides that, 9 to 5 and Islands In The Stream.

And about which rendition is better, I would have to respectfully disagree. Dolly's is definitely more intimate and relatable, but Whitney was probably my second-fave female vocalist of all time. She was such a powerhouse in the 80s and early 90s, it was a damn shame how her voice diminished later on...and worse, her tragic and untimely end. Also -- forgive me for dragging you down an arcane rabbit hole that prolly no one here besides maybe @Floatingbison and @Doublemint cares about -- the whole recording on Whitney's version was simply mindblowing. David Foster (though he seems like an arrogant ass on TV) was a huge influence on me, and he put together an all-star group of session players: Dean Parks and Michael Landau on guitars, Neil Stubenhaus on bass, Ricky Lawson on drums, Bashiri Johnson on percussion, ...and Ron Huff has always been one of my idols as an arranger.

Sorry y'all, huuuugely divergent detour. Back to topic, this is another one of my favorite records:

giphy.gif

Speaking of Dolly's royalties for I Will Always Love You, Nick Lowe had a song on The Bodyguard soundtrack and he said he made more money from royalties on that than the rest of his songwriting career royalties combined.    I imagine Dolly's royalties were even higher because Whitney's version of her song was also the lead single, so it got played everywhere, whereas Nick's royalties were "mechanical royalties" he got from album sales only.  In any case, it was a huge windfall for him that he said changed his life for the better.   As for Islands in the Stream, not a Dolly composition, it was written by . . . drumroll please. . . . the Gibb Brothers . . of The Bee Gees.  

I know Michael Landau and Dean Parks are monster session guys.... Dean Parks in particular played on a ton of Steely Dan stuff starting with their third record.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I was fortunate to attend the 1996 Grammy's at Madison Square Garden.  Whitney Houston  and David Foster were on stage that night.  My feet were killing me from the tight shoes and I remember sitting next to Sting at an afterparty.    It's all sooooo long ago now @trackdawg.

5 hours ago, Trackdawg said:

giphy.gif

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Floatingbison said:

I imagine Dolly's royalties were even higher because Whitney's version of her song was also the lead single, so it got played everywhere, whereas Nick's royalties were "mechanical royalties" he got from album sales only.  In any case, it was a huge windfall for him that he said changed his life for the better.   As for Islands in the Stream, not a Dolly composition, it was written by . . . drumroll please. . . . the Gibb Brothers . . of The Bee Gees.  

On behalf of all of us producers, writers, and artists in the digital/streaming age: what are these mysterious "mechanicals" of which you speak? Does it have to do with those big black coasters with the hole in the middle 

Call it sacrilegious, but at least half of my mental association with Islands In The Stream is now this:

That was definitely a strange case. People assume it used a sample, but I don't hear it. I'm mean, you gonna hafta pay the Gibbs...and you're only going to use the melody? Such Blurred Lines in this industry now.

Back to Show: here's some true musical talent 🌟 coming at y'all:
giphy.gif

Edited by Trackdawg
Forgot my shelltoe Adidas in da Escalade
  • Love 2
On 3/7/2021 at 6:22 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The way Jovi's friend ignores the fact that Yara fell down today is despicable.      Jovi is not going to his bachelor party for 'a little while'.  

Hoping, for NoVi's...actually Yara's sake...actually for all of Humanity's sake, that it was a gratuitous edit by the Sharp Monkeys.

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I got home and turned on the tv to watch the news and wondered why The Voice was on. DUH...forgot about Daylight Saving Time, was at boyfriend's this weekend so I hadn't turned my clocks forward yet so it was 7:20 not 6:20. At least I made it home in time to watch this mess with you all. 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Floatingbison said:

Speaking of Dolly's royalties for I Will Always Love You, Nick Lowe had a song on The Bodyguard soundtrack and he said he made more money from royalties on that than the rest of his songwriting career royalties combined.    I imagine Dolly's royalties were even higher because Whitney's version of her song was also the lead single, so it got played everywhere, whereas Nick's royalties were "mechanical royalties" he got from album sales only.  In any case, it was a huge windfall for him that he said changed his life for the better.   As for Islands in the Stream, not a Dolly composition, it was written by . . . drumroll please. . . . the Gibb Brothers . . of The Bee Gees.  

I know Michael Landau and Dean Parks are monster session guys.... Dean Parks in particular played on a ton of Steely Dan stuff starting with their third record.

Sticking my beak in to say that Prince was a little pissed at how well “nothing compares to you” did by Sinead O’Connor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Hello everyone! Right now, I am a little upset because one of my friends on FB commented a racist message on one of my posts, and some of my other friends started a bloody fight with her. Some of them even started to say mean things about me. I thought they were my friends, and it turns out they're really not. So that's why I'm irritated. I'm deciding to take a break for the rest of the day.

I hope snarking with you guys will make me feel better! It's time to watch 90 Day Fiance!

• Love 2
On 3/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, TazDevil said:

STOP EATING OREOS OR DIS GONNA BE BAD SISHUASHUN!!!

Trying to catch up from the last few weeks and so glad the live chat is open because this made me laugh so hard.

The move into Mr. Mercolleen's is complete, and he set up the new DRV last night so I could watch all things terrible marriage shows On Demand. Truly a catch.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

1 minute ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Hello everyone! Right now, I am a little upset because one of my friends on FB commented a racist message on one of my posts, and some of my other friends started a bloody fight with her. Some of them even started to say mean things about me. I thought they were my friends, and it turns out they're really not. So that's why I'm irritated. I'm deciding to take a break for the rest of the day.

I hope snarking with you guys will make me feel better! It's time to watch 90 Day Fiance!

My suggestion? Stop using FB. It’s not worth it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
Just now, Hotel Snarker said:

I feel your pain hotel snarker. I have had to cut family off from FB for horrendous racism 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I got home and turned on the tv to watch the news and wondered why The Voice was on. DUH...forgot about Daylight Saving Time, was at boyfriend's this weekend so I hadn't turned my clocks forward yet so it was 7:20 not 6:20. At least I made it home in time to watch this mess with you all. 😂

I have a worse time story from a friend.   They lived way out in the country, so the trek to church with their kids on Sunday morning was a big deal.  It was time change weekend, and they showed up on time, and the parking lot was empty, so they were commenting about how lazy the other parishioners were, and why couldn't they show up for the early service.   Then it dawned on them, they had turned the clock the wrong way, instead of turning back an hour, they had turned the clock up, so they were two hours early for church.

Stephanie must have the same cell phone carrier I have, I keep trying to answer my phone when her phone goes off.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Happy Pi Day, snarkers! I had shepherd’s pie for dinner.

I bought a corned beef and cabbage to make even though none of my family really care for it, it’s tradition.  

• Love 8