Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Shame Hangover

• Start Topic

Schwartz makes amends with Katie after their blowout fight, while Beau opens up to them about his plans to propose to Stassi. Lisa reprimands Danica about improving her attitude, Kristen learns she isn’t invited to Las Vegas for Schwartz and Katie’s second wedding, and Brett sets his sights on a newly single Dayna, despite Scheana’s emotional objections.

Airs April 7, 2020.

I keep forgetting to mention that in addition to Schemer trying to do that sexy spin while holding a tray of drinks in the opening credits, I laugh at LaLa posing next to her wearing what appears to be a skort with little pouches covering it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

I hate the way LVP is constantly moving her hair away from her face.  A small gripe but it bugs the shit out of me when people continually fuss with the hair.  So newb Danica is a little too sassy. That’s what happens when you cast new people in the show.  Can’t get rid of them when they mouth off to other managers, generally shit-stir, send the wrong food to the table and overcharge the customer.  Those would be terminating offenses in any other world. 

The guys looked like a bunch of dumb asses at the skate park. WTF was Jax costumed for? 

Schwartz is looking more pasty every week. It must be hell living with Katie. Although her reaction to the FI prank last week was over the top, his response was equally bad, but he’s been putting up with her for years.

I look forward to watching Scheana melt down, again, when she hears Dayna is seeing Brad. I kind of liked Dayna but this makes me question my thinking. I don’t get what’s so attractive about him.  Big dick? 

Stassi is annoying me with her asking Beau when he’s going to propose.  I’m an unabashed and unapologetic Stassi fan but I wish she’d just shut up and wait gracefully.  I think she’s got more on the ball than any other cast member except maybe Kristin.  I think they’ll both be able to survive on their own, unlike the rest of the cast, when the free ride on the LVP train comes to an end.   

Edited by nytonc
iPad doesn’t recognize the word shit
  • Love 9
(edited)

The girls, because I can’t call them women, are pathetic losers.  Kristen has never been a favorite of mine but this season I really feel for her.  Many of them can only feel good about themselves by being cruel and ostracizing others.  I caught a bit of a show from an older season earlier today and they were doing these things then and they are still doing it now.  Dear lord, grow the f-up and stop this junior high behavior.  The way they treat, Kristen, James and Raquel, is just terrible.  You support people when they are in trouble or troubled, you don’t shut them out.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 21

If Brittany paid for half the wedding, did they each spend more than $100k or was Jax taking credit for Brit's half???

Maybe Jax's half included the liquor, he didnt pay, and that's why it ended up a cash bar...

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I am normally a-okay with the over-acting and obviously staged scenes because I know that there's very little real about reality TV. But there was something about the scene where Stassi walked off in tears because Beau wasn't proposing rightthatveryfuckingsecond that bugs. Specifically it was Beau's sad muppet face while he mopily takes a bite of whatever appetizer it was and sat there with guacamole at the corner of his mouth before chewing sadly with guacamole at the corner of his mouth and then despondently wiped away the guacamole at the corner of his mouth. 

I felt like I was watching a watered down Great Value version of a scene from a Paul Rudd romantic comedy circa 2009. It was just a little too much. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3

I am so tired of watching Lisa discipline her employees.  The problem, if I understand it, was that Danica, as assistant manager, for some reason, had two tables of her own, and she charged them each additional money that Guillermo had to call up and apologize about.  In the restaurant industry, doing that even once is a big mistake.  Huge.  So, that is the issue.  Stick with that and discipline her accordingly.  If she pushed her ex in the restaurant or if she was rude to Richardson at TomTom, then this is a pattern and fire her.  And if you’re not going to fire her, make her account for the problems of the night before.  But don’t throw everything at her but the kitchen sink because you think it makes for good, realistic TV.  It makes for neither.  

Schwartz telling Katie “don’t be a social justice warrior.”  Two weeks in a row I love him!  But then I hate him all over again when he apologizes and does that mumble “Bubba” or more like, “Bu...” to Katie though.  What the fuck is that?  How has he been doing that for eight years on TV and living with himself?  What is wrong with just saying “I’m sorry” in a normal voice?  These man-children do my head in.  

Doesn’t Lisa know how rude it is to summon someone to your table at a restaurant when you both “happen to be” dining at the same place as someone?  She can go over to their table and make two seconds worth of small talk and then move on.  Anything else, especially given her checkered relationship with Kristen, is insufferably rude, but that’s Lisa.  She never disappoints!

I couldn’t give a shit less about Beau’s proposal to Stassi.  I find them very boring.  And I find his attempts to ingratiate himself with his co-stars cringeworthy.  He is such a beta male.  Was he crying at the restaurant when he thought he was hurting Stassi by not proposing?  He couldn’t be like Jim from The Office and when the idea of engagement first came up, and tell her, “well, that’s coming,” and then ask in the next 3-6 months?  There is something very wrong if a couple is fighting about getting engaged.  How can Stassi (and how could Katie in the past) beat their partners into submission about asking?  There’s something extremely unhealthy about that.  When they finally do get down the aisle, they won’t feel like they’re dragging a dead body with them?  You know who I definitely don’t want to spend the rest of my life with?  Someone who isn’t completely down with spending the rest of their life with me.  If I even had to hint at my husband to propose to me, we never would have gotten married.  What a thing to grovel about.  

I get that there have to be two vacations a season, and they already did Miami, so they’re due for either Vegas or Mexico, but Katie and Tom don’t get another wedding in my book.  Are people supposed to make a big deal over again when they’ve already made a giant deal because someone made an error with the license?  Give me a break.  They get one bite at the apple.  

I love Dayna and Brett pretending to negotiate a relationship.  You guys are doing this to make Max and Scheana feel bad, and to make drama, and let’s not pretend this is something that it’s not.  They’re both such corny disappointments.  Get off my screen.  And...Brett’s gorgeous?  Do I need glasses?  🧐  And if Max is pretending that he cares about Dayna/Brett, he’s completely acting.  

Raquel won’t give up drinking with James?  I’ll never understand that.  Either drinking isn’t a big deal, in which case Raquel should not drink around James, or it is a big deal, in which case James, and Raquel as his partner, should change their people, places and things in their environment to enable to make this transition smoothly.  This nightmare scenario of going to clubs when James says its uncomfortable reminds me of The Sopranos, when Christopher Multisanti came back from rehab and everyone he knew expected him to be normal around their round-the-clock drinking.  I called them idiots then, and I’m going to go ahead and call James’s and Raquel’s behavior naive and kind of dumb too.  Lala, who has supposedly been sober for close to a year at this point, is still white-knuckling it at a bar, telling someone she’s going to “get white-girl wasted on Diet Coke.”  How embarrassing.  

Why, at this point in the game, would Scheana tell anyone but her diary that she cares about who Dayna dates?  It’s made her look like an asshole all season, over and over.  She has zero self-awareness about how pathetic this is all making her look.  She wants to have a single best friend who is a guy?  She gives platonic girl friends everywhere a bad name by crying when her guy friend kisses a female.  Scheana should focus less on manipulating other people’s relationships and more on her science baby.  

In fact, Scheana’s egg freezing is probably the most compelling thing about this show right now.  The info and the pictures of the injections were definitely the best part of this snoozefest of an episode.  I think we need a little more Kristen, less newbies, less Lisa, and, it’s definitely time for another vacation, but not a do-over wedding.  Come on Bravo, we viewers are getting wedding fatigue syndrome!

• Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

FI Tom and his dumb hats.

FI Tom and his dumb friends. 

I think new girl who’s never eaten pasta (can’t be bothered to look up her name) might actually be dumber than Raquel. 

Edited by nytonc
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I don't even like Beau but his TH description of why he loves Stassi was really sweet. 

I still think as their relationship progresses Stassi will beat him down in to being her doormat. There are already signs. Having children will be a game changer for them. Hope it works out. 

• Love 7
(edited)
37 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I am so tired of watching Lisa discipline her employees.  The problem, if I understand it, was that Danica, as assistant manager, for some reason, had two tables of her own, and she charged them each additional money that Guillermo had to call up and apologize about.  In the restaurant industry, doing that even once is a big mistake.  Huge.  So, that is the issue.  Stick with that and discipline her accordingly.  If she pushed her ex in the restaurant or if she was rude to Richardson at TomTom, then this is a pattern and fire her.  And if you’re not going to fire her, make her account for the problems of the night before.  But don’t throw everything at her but the kitchen sink because you think it makes for good, realistic TV.  It makes for neither.  

Schwartz telling Katie “don’t be a social justice warrior.”  Two weeks in a row I love him!  But then I hate him all over again when he apologizes and does that mumble “Bubba” or more like, “Bu...” to Katie though.  What the fuck is that?  How has he been doing that for eight years on TV and living with himself?  What is wrong with just saying “I’m sorry” in a normal voice?  These man-children do my head in.  

Doesn’t Lisa know how rude it is to summon someone to your table at a restaurant when you both “happen to be” dining at the same place as someone?  She can go over to their table and make two seconds worth of small talk and then move on.  Anything else, especially given her checkered relationship with Kristen, is insufferably rude, but that’s Lisa.  She never disappoints!

I couldn’t give a shit less about Beau’s proposal to Stassi.  I find them very boring.  And I find his attempts to ingratiate himself with his co-stars cringeworthy.  He is such a beta male.  Was he crying at the restaurant when he thought he was hurting Stassi by not proposing?  He couldn’t be like Jim from The Office and when the idea of engagement first came up, and tell her, “well, that’s coming,” and then ask in the next 3-6 months?  There is something very wrong if a couple is fighting about getting engaged.  How can Stassi (and how could Katie in the past) beat their partners into submission about asking?  There’s something extremely unhealthy about that.  When they finally do get down the aisle, they won’t feel like they’re dragging a dead body with them?  You know who I definitely don’t want to spend the rest of my life with?  Someone who isn’t completely down with spending the rest of their life with me.  If I even had to hint at my husband to propose to me, we never would have gotten married.  What a thing to grovel about.  

I get that there have to be two vacations a season, and they already did Miami, so they’re due for either Vegas or Mexico, but Katie and Tom don’t get another wedding in my book.  Are people supposed to make a big deal over again when they’ve already made a giant deal because someone made an error with the license?  Give me a break.  They get one bite at the apple.  

I love Dayna and Brett pretending to negotiate a relationship.  You guys are doing this to make Max and Scheana feel bad, and to make drama, and let’s not pretend this is something that it’s not.  They’re both such corny disappointments.  Get off my screen.  And...Brett’s gorgeous?  Do I need glasses?  🧐  And if Max is pretending that he cares about Dayna/Brett, he’s completely acting.  

Raquel won’t give up drinking with James?  I’ll never understand that.  Either drinking isn’t a big deal, in which case Raquel should not drink around James, or it is a big deal, in which case James, and Raquel as his partner, should change their people, places and things in their environment to enable to make this transition smoothly.  This nightmare scenario of going to clubs when James says its uncomfortable reminds me of The Sopranos, when Christopher Multisanti came back from rehab and everyone he knew expected him to be normal around their round-the-clock drinking.  I called them idiots then, and I’m going to go ahead and call James’s and Raquel’s behavior naive and kind of dumb too.  Lala, who has supposedly been sober for close to a year at this point, is still white-knuckling it at a bar, telling someone she’s going to “get white-girl wasted on Diet Coke.”  How embarrassing.  

Why, at this point in the game, would Scheana tell anyone but her diary that she cares about who Dayna dates?  It’s made her look like an asshole all season, over and over.  She has zero self-awareness about how pathetic this is all making her look.  She wants to have a single best friend who is a guy?  She gives platonic girl friends everywhere a bad name by crying when her guy friend kisses a female.  Scheana should focus less on manipulating other people’s relationships and more on her science baby.  

In fact, Scheana’s egg freezing is probably the most compelling thing about this show right now.  The info and the pictures of the injections were definitely the best part of this snoozefest of an episode.  I think we need a little more Kristen, less newbies, less Lisa, and, it’s definitely time for another vacation, but not a do-over wedding.  Come on Bravo, we viewers are getting wedding fatigue syndrome!

Scheana’s science baby! 😂😂😂

Edited by nytonc
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I still think as their relationship progresses Stassi will beat him down in to being her doormat. There are already signs. Having children will be a game changer for them. Hope it works out. 

Yeah, I agree.  One thing that contributes to this theory is when Stassi and Beau were at Jax’s wedding and Beau said (kinda bitterly) that there’ll be no kids(!) at their wedding. It caught my attention, because he was vehement (for Beau). 

I tend to agree with him, as my husband and I both really didn’t want kids at our wedding, but we’re both not fans of kids.  Stassi loves kids.  Hmm...

• Love 3
(edited)

What about the cheesecake?

I’m just really picky about cheesecake. So I go to The Cheesecake Factory. 

Her name is Charli.  Because putting an “e” on the end is too many letters to remember.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 20
  • Love 4

A bday episode wasted in a newbie boo! 

Also again too much Lisa. Why the fuck is she going to Dana’s bday? Weird.

Max blaming Jax for them being obvious at the skate park was dumb since they are with a full fucking camera crew lol. Boo to Max too he’s annoying.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

reminds me of The Sopranos, when Christopher Multisanti came back from rehab and everyone he knew expected him to be normal around their round-the-clock drinking.

I love that you referenced this!  It was such a sad story on the show.

• Love 4

I get that it’s not cool to be pressuring your partner to propose, totally not cool. And if Beau was truly not sure or not ready, that’s completely legitimate. He should wait in that case.

But he’s said he’s totally ready and had the big convo with Katie and the dolt about how he’s going to propose. So his continuing to allow Stassi to think he’s not ready? That’s not cool. He’s straight up lying to her about where he is emotionally because he wants the proposal to be a production that will prove his wonderfulness.

I don’t like Stassi and know that much of this is for a storyline, but game-playing about a relationship for the sake of the “perfect” performative proposal. Not cool.

Oh and I don’t love Katie but Schwartz was let off way too easy. Katie voiced an opinion about the prank. She didn’t find it funny (not that she finds much funny, I’ll grant you). Schwartz went nuclear and strove to come up with the most hurtful things he could possibly say and kept saying them though everyone was letting him know he needed to stop. And even when he’s kinda sorta apologizing to Katie he’s still trying to make what she said the worse offense.

Made me remember why I hate Schwartz.

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, Marley said:

Also again too much Lisa. Why the fuck is she going to Dana’s bday? Weird.

So that she could have a chance to let us know that it was Ken's birthday and make her usual tired old "joke" about having to put out?  So that one of the newest cast members could do his obligatory scene/TH about how he'd love to get with Lisa? 🙄🙄🙄

Brett and Dayna have to be the most repulsive "couple" I've ever seen on this show, and that's saying a lot.  And Dayna and "Lala" talking about how they taste their pussies - they are some foul human beings.

I felt bad for Kristen.  And a little bit for Scheana too.  But honestly staying on this show for all these years - can you be that surprised that here's where you are at 34?

• Love 13
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:03 AM, OnceSane said:

"Shame Hangover". Schwartz makes amends with Katie after their blowout fight, while Beau opens up to them about his plans to propose to Stassi. Lisa reprimands Danica about improving her attitude, Kristen learns she isn’t invited to Las Vegas for Schwartz and Katie’s second wedding, and Brett sets his sights on a newly single Dayna, despite Scheana’s emotional objections.

Peter was a total dick for trying to make DJ Muppet Baby drink at that party.

Hey! It's Max, son of successful businesswoman Lisa Vanderbucks!

What the fuck was wrong with LaLa at the girls' pool party? Does she wear an apron while getting a tan? I was so scared that this was going to be a repeat of what Phaedra said on RHoA when the topic of "tasting yourself" came up.

Poor Schemer. NOT.

I'll have to add the rest of my thoughts later.

• Love 3
(edited)

CAVEAT: I am only watching this shit show right now because of home quarantine.

This shit was on tonight and the Mr. walked past the TV and had some gems:

”What show is THIS? Who are those weird looking people?” (Referring to the new cast members)

During the scene where Spassi, Drunkie, and Chunky were at the cafe:

”A bunch of average-looking women acting like they’re exceptional.” 

I married well...

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Has Peter ever worn a suit that fit properly. Does he think too tight makes him look more muscular. 

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Lisa and her dumb hats. 

Lisa’s white Chanel jacket is so pretty, and then she has to wear that stupid hat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Has Peter ever worn a suit that fit properly. Does he think too tight makes him look more muscular. 

I thought he looked weird in the suit.  And his butt looked huge at the party - I don't know what he was wearing then but not the suit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Stassi is a pain in my ass.  Yes, she's matured a lot (thank God) since Season 1 but her constant badgering of Beau to put a ring on it is annoying - whether it's just for the storyline or not.  Yes, he's sweet but comes across weak AF.

3 hours ago, Emmeline said:

Dear lord, grow the f-up and stop this junior high behavior.  

It's what I like to call "Save By The Bell shit."  Kristin is far from perfect but Katie in particular needs to grow a heart.  She's, as Rick James once said, cold-blooded.  Not condoning Schwartz going off on her the way he did but think that it was the result of a lot of pent-up resentment.  If the viewers can't stand her, can only imagine how she is off-camera.

Could give two damns about any of the new people who were obviously brought in to add some storylines to what's becoming "Bridezillas - LA Edition" but Dayna seems to be the most real of any of them.

I feel bad for Scheana but she does need to grow up a bit and stop acting so desperate on national TV.  Would think that there are plenty of guys she can chase outside of SUR.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Yeah, I agree.  One thing that contributes to this theory is when Stassi and Beau were at Jax’s wedding and Beau said (kinda bitterly) that there’ll be no kids(!) at their wedding. It caught my attention, because he was vehement (for Beau). 

I tend to agree with him, as my husband and I both really didn’t want kids at our wedding, but we’re both not fans of kids.  Stassi loves kids.  Hmm...

I think it depends on who the parents are, and how the kids behave in public.  I've always been so impressed with super polite kids who are very considerate and even the people who are not really into kids don't mind having them at formal events.  They behave better than a lot of adults, because adults can get stupid when they drink!!  Also, the parents who don't immediately grab the kids and tell them to be quiet or to behave - I won't even get started.

You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want with Lisa and her restaurants, as long as you can pretend to respect her.  I have no doubt that Jax started stealing from SUR from day one, and Lisa knows this, but he can still pretend to respect her, so she hasn't fired him.  Was Frank from season 1 worse than Jax?  Absolutely not, but he got fired, because he disrespected Lisa, and that's why she kicked him out.  Same with Kristen.

The way that Stassi keeps asking Beau about getting engaged reminds me of Charlotte from Sex and the City pestering Harry to marry her.  Screaming "SET THE DATE!!!!  SET THE DAAAAATE!!!!!!" at him until he got fed up and broke up with her.

• Love 3
(edited)

Everyone saw Lala holding a shot glass in a blink-and-you-miss-it moment before they cut away when she was talking to Brett during Dayna's birthday party, right? It happened right after she said she was going to get "white girl wasted" on Diet Coke. Bless you, editors. 

And honestly? After watching Raquel throwing axes and hitting the bullseye like a champ? If I were Lala, I'd be shaking in my Gucci slides a bit. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 10

So apparently unpopular opinion but I like Dayna.  She seems reasonably intelligent and more mature than some of these other so-called women. I don’t have strong thoughts either for or against Brett. Charli strikes me as one of the least interesting people on the planet, one of those girls for whom “I’m pretty” has gotten them this far so they never bothered to develop a personality. Max is clearly a douche which is probably why the Toms like him. They spent years living with Jax so they speak fluent douche. I really want to hate Scheana and she certainly gives me plenty of ammunition, but I can’t help but feel sorry for her sometimes. She wants so desperately to be loved that she latches on to any man who looks at her twice.  And apparently another unpopular opinion, but I like Beau. A lot.  To me he seems like a sweetheart. I love how much he loves and supports Stassi, flaws and all. I think they make each other better.

• Love 15

So Jax's being okay with the homophobic pastor & Schwartz's knee-jerk, "don't be a social justice warrior" on one side & Ariana's politics supported by Sandoval on the other. I think the break between Jax & Sandoval is becoming clearer to me. Schwartz's place between them, though is becoming intriguing.  I'd like to see Andy do a quarantine WWHL with the Toms.  Well, I'd like that anyway. Anything but Lala and Rand.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, nytonc said:

The guys looked like a bunch of dumb asses at the skate park. WTF was Jax costumed for? 

To remind us that HOCKEY is his great love and passion - remember that his DREAM job was working for that hockey outfit in Florida.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, princelina said:

And Dayna and "Lala" talking about how they taste their pussies - they are some foul human beings.

And with that, this is getting deleted from the DVR.  I just can't with this show anymore.  Okay, I'll record it, read the comments here and fast forward to the good scenes.  

• Love 7
(edited)

Wow, this show has really jumped the shark. I can't with all the birthday's. Who cares? So far we have had to endure Ariana's, Tom, Jax, Dayna, Peter. Thank god Stassi decided to give it a break this year. 

Dayna is completely devoid of personality. Yet, she garners alot of screen time. Wonder how that really sits with the OG's. Who'd she blow to get this gig? As far as I can see there is nothing extraordinary about her that hundreds of wannabe millenial girls in Hollywood don't have. Having said all that, I do feel for her losing her mom. My mom died when I was 17. It's a heartbreaking painful void that can never be filled no matter how old you are. 

Scheana is smart to freeze her eggs. Katie should do the same. She's creeping up there in age and judging from the amount of sex or lack thereof she and Schwartz have it might be a good idea. 

Speaking of eggs and babies, I thought Jax and Britt were going to start trying as soon as they got married. They wanted kids riiiiiiight away. It's been almost a year and Jax is 40. What are they waiting for? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 10

Did LVP actually leave Grandpa Ken in the car while she went in to Dana’s party ? She was drinking, flirting, partying and Ken was in the flipping car on HIS birthday? 

Lala’s shot looked like orange juice. 

Tom Schwartz does not seem mentally sound. 

• Love 6

For eight years Scheana has shown the Bravo universe how insecure, desperate, pathetic, clingy and needy she is. Her mom and friends probably tried to give her advice or coach her (I really hope). Scheana ignores or dismisses them. 

Is there anyone else on reality TV who is this pitiful? (The Bachelor doesn’t count, since it’s only one season.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I don't think Raquel should have to give up drinking because of James. Perhaps it's best to not have it in the home they share, but when out she should be able to enjoy a cocktail. I say this because he works in an industry in which booze flows and is of the age when he's going to go to lots of parties and other social events, so he has got to be able to get his shit together and do it for himself without other people having to make sacrifices.

The producers must be making Stassi act like an idiot because Beau has made it clear he intends to propose but he will pick the date. 

Katie should definitely plan to freeze her eggs, which along with Schwartz's sperm, may already have started to pickle. Same with Brittany and Jax.

These new people need to go. Each and every one of them. They are as dull as dishwater.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

What the fuck was wrong with LaLa at the girls' pool party? Does she wear an apron while getting a tan? I was so scared that this was going to be a repeat of what Phaedra said on RHoA when the topic of "tasting yourself" came up.

I am sure I will regret asking, but what did Phaedra say on RHoA??

1 hour ago, Juliegirlj said:

Did LVP actually leave Grandpa Ken in the car while she went in to Dana’s party ? She was drinking, flirting, partying and Ken was in the flipping car on HIS birthday? 

Lala’s shot looked like orange juice. 

Tom Schwartz does not seem mentally sound. 

I'm thinking Ken made that choice......

Because I would have hung out in the car with the dogs too.  Much more interesting company!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, politichick said:

I don't think Raquel should have to give up drinking because of James. Perhaps it's best to not have it in the home they share, but when out she should be able to enjoy a cocktail. I say this because he works in an industry in which booze flows and is of the age when he's going to go to lots of parties and other social events, so he has got to be able to get his shit together and do it for himself without other people having to make sacrifices.

I don’t think Raquel should have to give up drinking because of James either.

I just have no idea why a significant other wouldn’t give this up—at least in front of their partner—if their partner has a problem with substance abuse.

Like I said upthread, it’s either not a big deal, or it is a big deal.  If it’s not a big deal, there should be no reason that Raquel shouldn’t stand by James in solidarity and only have cokes.  My dad stopped drinking with my mom both times she was pregnant, because it shows support.  

If it is a big deal, then she really shouldn’t be drinking around him.  

This nightclub lifestyle may be what James does for right now, but it may not be what he does as he remains sober, because he may realize it’s not a healthy environment for him.  There is nothing more boring than going to a place where everyone is drinking when you’re sober.  This is why I’ve always been willing to pitch in for a cab, rather than be a designated driver when I used to go out with friends.  It’s so boring, and there is so much FOMO.  Plenty of people enter AA as a bartender, or in some other occupation where the booze flows, and as they start to work the steps and see that’s not who they are, they wind up becoming...I dunno...ranchers, or something that has nothing to do with drinking.  

And I’m not sure James’s age would put him in contact with alcohol.  I think it is more the life circumstances that he created; life circumstances that he can change.  If he were to get really invested in sports or church or something, he wouldn’t constantly be around alcohol.  

I dunno, I just have a different view about drinking-related activities than probably a good portion of the world, and that’s:  if I’m not drinking, I don’t want to be around drinkers.  I find them extremely dull.  There will be no point in my life where I’m going to “get my shit together” enough to find buzzed/drunk people who are who-whooing about shots not dull, unless I’m in there doing it with them.  

I think the vast majority of people who are sober who say they are comfortable around excessive drinking are lying and are just trying not to be a buzzkill, which is why, if someone around me gave up drinking and I cared deeply about them, I would stop drinking around them completely, even if they didn’t ask, because that’s just the right thing to do.  The fact that James said he was uncomfortable means I give no passes to people around him who say they love him who drink around him also.  If Raquel can’t or won’t abstain, I don’t blame her—she’s young and she wants to have fun—but I would look at this as a deal-breaker, and we’d probably go our separate ways.  

(I don’t think Jame’s casual buddies should abstain every time he’s around—that would be absurd—but I think his significant other, who is there through thick or thin, should do what he does, and James can make it up to her by doing what Raquel does, such as, I don’t know, waking up early to go to yoga or something.  And, if he’s serious about his sobriety, which only time will tell, James will slowly but surely move on from those people who drink around him and move toward people who have similar goals, if he wants to stack the deck in his favor and not make the next 50 years of his life hard).

I’m not confident James is going to have long-term success with sobriety this time around, probably because he’s trying to live a drunken man’s life as a sober man, and that is one of the hardest things I can fathom.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I think the vast majority of people who are sober who say they are comfortable around excessive drinking are lying

I think you are woefully mistaken.  I've been sober for 30 years and ever since I took the program of recovery as outlined in the 12 steps of AA I've been to weddings, concerts, the wakes of 2 of my brothers, and not once have I ever even thought of having a drink.  

If you had used the word "newly" to modify the adjective sober, I might have agreed with you.

• Love 11

I like neither Katie nor Tom, but Tom didn't apologize at all to Katie for the vile things he said to her last episode. He should have, because those were horrible things. Katie can be an SJW every day and twice on Sunday, and that doesn't give Tom the right to speak like that to her at all, in front of their friends or alone. He was purposely cruel to her, and that was NOT okay.

• Love 13

Raquel is rocking this season for me so far. Behind the Bambi eyes there is a cool headed-chick that very calmly and without histrionics created healthy boundaries for James and urged him to get help, which he did. She then look Lala out at the knees, again, very calmly, not once, but twice. And she can sling a mean hatchet!

• Love 14

Looked like Jax was checking out Charli’s nip slips lol. I have a soft spot for Scheana. I think Stassi is still resentment of Kristen because of the Jax thing lol. I hate Kristen feels down,but she should try to find other friends and not grovel to Katy and Stassi. Beau seems like a great guy for Stassi. Dayna is something else,I’m surprised she said Max’s dad was hot too lol especially on tv. 

• Love 2