Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Valloweaster

• Start Topic

There's no victory so sweet I would willingly handle items that passed through the butts of Cheddar AND Scully. Reason #964 why I'll never be as badass as Rosa Diaz. Honestly, though, while I loved everyone's rabid (and rabbit!) fervor to win, there were some odd moments that didn't land for me at all (Amy hired a fake therapist to spy on Jake?). Still, the heist is a tradition I'm so glad the show has found a way to maintain.

And I know the show intended Bill's appearance here to just be a funny gag, but him progressing from normal in October to 100% haggard, life in pieces come April is so prescient it hurts.

• Love 24
34 minutes ago, Linny said:

Honestly, though, while I loved everyone's rabid (and rabbit!) fervor to win, there were some odd moments that didn't land for me at all (Amy hired a fake therapist to spy on Jake?). Still, the heist is a tradition I'm so glad the show has found a way to maintain.

I mean the whole point of the heists now is that everyone acts in insane ways that pretty much exist outside the reality of the usual show. The creators have even said this. 

This heist also had Holt filming Jake/Amy's bedroom. Last year's heist had Rosa drug and box up Charles. 

None of this is meant to be taken seriously. Just enjoy the insanity. 

• Love 2

I'm sure the day might come when the "heist episodes" get played out for me, but until then, I'm going to continue enjoying the pure insanity that happens every time they do one, and how everyone just becomes over-competitive jerks about it.  But, hey, what happens during the heist, stays during the heist!

Not surprised that Rosa would win since she kept being put at a "disadvantage" each time, but I like the twist that she actually planned it so that she actually did steal the gems each time, so now she gets to boast about having the most wins out of everyone.  And then her big grin when everyone started arguing about it at the very end.  Congrats, Rosa!

I do wonder if Boyle is actually ever going to win a heist, or are they just going to keep a gag of having one regular never win it.

Love that both Holt and Boyle have their own versions of the "92 Dream Team", instead of the one everyone associates that title with!

Petty, Competitive Holt continues to be a delight.  And not wrong: Cheddar is always welcomed!  Especially when he gets a slo-mo running scene!

On a more serious note though, I do hope Jake continues seeing a therapist if it is really helping him with his issues (and considering his history, that makes total sense.)  I did think that was probably more mean-spirited then they attended by having Amy set that all up and listening in, but then I remember that last heist, both Amy and Jake bought each other gifts to basically electronically shock one another, so, again, the heist just brings out the worst out of everyone! 

On the other hand, I did love how Amy's attempting to coerce Jake into working with Holt by having him watch Lincoln and see the "enemies working together" scenario, but he found the film boring, so she found a much better solution: X-Men: Days of Future Past!

Oh, Bill!  I'm sure things will get better.  Right?....

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 12

I loves me some Rosa. She's my favourite B99 character. She deserved the win for mostly putting up with Scully's business in the washroom stall. And that rare smile of hers we see at the end? Priceless!

I laughed at the flashback scenes where Jake about to say "boner" gets cut half way.

I have no idea what Bill's hand gesturing was, as it was blurred for all of us not to see. Perhaps they intend it to be a mystery.

I'll handle anything that comes out of Cheddar's butt. But Scully's?!! Nooooo thank you!!!

• Love 3

I don't think I'll ever get tired of a heist episode, I know they'll always be great. They're even better when it centers around Rosa kicking ass. 

I thought it was a little rough for Amy to get Jake a fake therapist and spy on the sessions, but at least it helped him and he'll seek out a real one to continue going to? I feel like with Jake's problems with therapists this would not help with any trust issues. 

Someone tell me why I got SO excited when Cheddar came on screen? My thicc king

• Love 14

They went to the vet for Scully lmao. Also, did anyone notice Terry’s smoothies match the three colors of the gems? Nice touch.

I feel like Bill is an unintentional symbol of the world dealing with coronavirus right now. The show finds unconventional ways to be current, like with Amy and the hazmat suit last week.

I'm a little saddened by the fact that there are only 40 minutes of footage left and this season is over. Everything I watch is ending 🥺

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Another great episode, but could someone please remind me: who's Bill?

The play on the fans' love of Cheddar was great! And heralding her entrance with "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by the Stooges? Well, you gotta be a certain age to pick up on it, but I am and I did!

Edited by Gummo
  • Love 4

Question: at the end, they showed one bunny-suited person still strapped to the file cabinet immediately before they ran out and saw Rosa jump off the roof. So did she talk someone else into posing as her with the file cabinet? It was a bit of a plot hole, unless I missed something.

• Love 1

Rosa! Yeah baby its all coming up Rosa! 

I was wondering if we would get a heist episode this season (after we went past Halloween) but this was just what I wanted! A Hallo-Valen-ster heist! I mean, how could we not have an Easter heist? We had to have bunnies with those classy vests! 

I always love the heist, but damn does it really bring out everyone's mean sides, which stands out on a show where the characters usually actually like each other and act like it! I mean, damn Amy, she got Jake a fake therapist! I am sure Jake will understand though, he knows the feelings of heist fever! But for real, Jake should absolutely see a therapist, I've been saying that for ages, especially after he had to go undercover for a long time. And when he had to go into hiding. And when he had just gotten out of jail. And...

Its true, everyone always wants to see Cheddar. Running in slow motion through a fog! Now, Rosa, who is this Arlo? I think he needs to pay us all a visit, its very important! 

"Ohhh, a team of rivals!" Especially funny as thats the name of the book Lincoln was based on, of course Amy would know that. She probably owns three copies! Of course Jake would be more of a Days of Futures Past guy though!

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Another great episode, but could someone please remind me: who's Bill?

Bill is a Charles lookalike, Jake randomly met him on the streets of New York one time and hired him because of his resemblance to his best friend. He wanted to use his likeness to distract the others in the Halloween heist episode when Gina won. He also appeared in the neutrogena themed episode.

Boom Boom!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

The vests give the bunny costumes gravitas

Love that both Holt and Boyle have their own versions of the "92 Dream Team", instead of the one everyone associates that title with!

So who was the "92 Dream Team" supposed to be? Was it gymnastics?

I laughed at the flashback scenes where Jake about to say "boner" gets cut half way.

Jane Jetson gives him a bone. Not Judy. Jane. Also, Wilma Flintstone.

I have no idea what Bill's hand gesturing was, as it was blurred for all of us not to see. Perhaps they intend it to be a mystery.

If you really want to know, I believe it was 

Spoiler

fisting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Cheddar is always welcomed!  Especially when he gets a slo-mo running scene!

I am social distancing from my sibling doggies (they live with my mum, I don't), so I needed slo-mo Cheddar more than I have ever needed anything. 

I LOVE the heists and I love how they managed to get a Halloween heist in this year even though we missed it on Halloween. This show doesn't miss a beat!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Question: at the end, they showed one bunny-suited person still strapped to the file cabinet immediately before they ran out and saw Rosa jump off the roof. So did she talk someone else into posing as her with the file cabinet?

I'll have to rewatch (oh, darn) but I am fairly certain it was Terry.

• Love 1

Dusty old skeleton.

Boyle bowed down.

Oh no, is Cheddar bulimic?

The vests added gravitas.

Rosa hammed the smoothie.

Rosa is all about sowing the discord.

If you really want to know, I believe it was

Was he using his armpit to represent the orifice? His arm placement was odd to me.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Question: at the end, they showed one bunny-suited person still strapped to the file cabinet immediately before they ran out and saw Rosa jump off the roof. So did she talk someone else into posing as her with the file cabinet? It was a bit of a plot hole, unless I missed something.

It was Terry. He was helping Rosa, and didn’t we see him In a bunny costume at the end. 
Plus who else would have been able to drag the filing cabinet along 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I LOVE the heists and I love how they managed to get a Halloween heist in this year even though we missed it on Halloween. This show doesn't miss a beat!

Same went for last season. Since it's only been shown in the Spring on NBC, they've had to be creative in how they do their "Halloween" Heist episodes. Who knows about next season. The Good Place is over, but when the world will allow episodes to be filmed is anyone's guess.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was he using his armpit to represent the orifice? His arm placement was odd to me.

His arm placement was odd because he was doing something odd. We're not really supposed to figure out what he was doing. Probably some gesture no one else has ever made.

3 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

It was Terry. He was helping Rosa, and didn’t we see him In a bunny costume at the end. 

We do see him in a bunny suit. It's when everyone is on the balcony after Rosa jumps off.

What a great ep. Another one. Keep 'em coming!

So much goodness came from Jake and Holt being teamed up. Two exchanges of theirs gave me my biggest laughs:

One -- 
Jake: You want me to say it in Pig Latin? [bad Italian accent] I-a think-a you-a sabotage-a me-a.

Two--
Holt: The vests add gravitas.
Jake: Your BUTT adds gravitas.
[Holt looks puzzled at Jake, Jake looks puzzled right back at Holt.]

Loved all the stuff with Bill. I mean, I felt sorry for him, but still... funny!

I also felt bad for Rosa in the bathroom with Scully.

Loved when Cheddar came running in, but the footage was just the same two or three shots repeated.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Yes, I think so, too.  And if you asked the writers/producers what it was supposed to be, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't know, either.  The idea of the joke is all they brought to life, not the actual content.  It's like what JJ Abrams does over and over again.

• The Rambaldi device (Alias)
  • Red matter (Star Trek)
  • The rabbit's foot (Mission Impossible 3)

They play key roles in the story, but I don't think they're ever actually explained???

Like others, I was sort of shocked at how mean some of the actions were, but at least that meanness is pretty contained to just the heist episodes.  It's probably pretty fun for everyone to experiment with legitimately out-of-character stuff while having a well-established canon reason for why the characters are acting that way.  "Whatever happens in the heist, stays in the heist."

For the last heist of the show, I think it would be really fun to bring in a recurring character as an active participant or the unwitting "victim" of the heist who is being stolen from.  Like Doug Judy (the former) or the Vulture (the latter).  CJ is too easy as the "victim," but he could probably come up with a snazzy heist jingle.

• Love 1

Well, of course Rosa won. What Gina was for others, Rosa is for me. She's never wrong; she always gets the better of everyone else; now she has more heist wins than everyone else. Sure. Fine. Whatever. 

• Love 4

His arm placement was odd because he was doing something odd. We're not really supposed to figure out what he was doing. Probably some gesture no one else has ever made.

Per Rule 34 I feel pretty confident someone has made that gesture and knows exactly what it was.

ETA: Someone on reddit posted the unpixelated video.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I assumed it was Scully but don’t think they ever clarified.

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Now, Rosa, who is this Arlo? I think he needs to pay us all a visit, its very important! 

Arlo is Rosa’s dog. He made an appearance in one of the earlier seasons—I don’t remember which one. 

Charles had lost his beloved dog, Jason, and Rosa thought the best way to help him get over his grief was to get him a new puppy. 

Arlo’s first (and so far only appearance) can be seen here: 

I would love to see him back on the show! I feel he and Cheddar would be friends, much to Holt’s dismay. 

• Love 9
On 4/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, Mama No Life said:

Favorite physical gag--Amy's wild gestures flopping Charles's arm all over the place....the little details they put into everything.

That was the funniest moment for me, not just funniest physical gag. Charles looked completely neutral, possibly indifferent. But he was moving his arm, kind of anticipating her movements, almost shadowing Amy’s arm. All while not calling attention to himself. Because that’s the kind of guy he is. He’s nice and cooperative. I love Boyle.

Jake is ticked off that Holt doesn’t speak to Cheddar’s vet about them.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:25 PM, peeayebee said:

We do see him in a bunny suit. It's when everyone is on the balcony after Rosa jumps off.

Loved all the stuff with Bill. I mean, I felt sorry for him, but still... funny!

Loved when Cheddar came running in, but the footage was just the same two or three shots repeated.

Charles’s scandalous-affair-with-a-local-goose backstory was great.

Yes.They show Terry in a bunny costume at the balcony entrance. The file cabinet is right behind him. 

Is there something in a previous episode that explains why Bill is spiraling now?

Getting to keep the fanny pack is the kind of thing that might turn his life around.

I noticed the looping, too. That weakened the scene. They should have just played it once but really slowed it down. So that we could really appreciate Cheddar’s low center of gravity.

These heists are always entertaining, but I still don’t buy Amy being so disrespectful to Holt. 

• Love 6

Rosa for the win!!!!!!!!

And Cheddar! I wasn't sure if we'd see Cheddar again. Not to bring everyone down but right after last season ended I read that the dog who played Cheddar passed away (peacefully, in their sleep). At the time the writers didn't know if they were going to write that into the show or recast.

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Is it something we can click on and not suffer consequences (such as advertisements for p&o}r~n sites)? Thank you.

I finally found it again. I'm not too familiar with navigating Reddit. Anyway, here.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

On 4/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, tennisgurl said:

I always love the heist, but damn does it really bring out everyone's mean sides, which stands out on a show where the characters usually actually like each other and act like it!

On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, sweetandsour said:

Like others, I was sort of shocked at how mean some of the actions were, but at least that meanness is pretty contained to just the heist episodes.  It's probably pretty fun for everyone to experiment with legitimately out-of-character stuff while having a well-established canon reason for why the characters are acting that way.  "Whatever happens in the heist, stays in the heist."

The heist episodes remind me of the Teddys from Mary Tyler Moore, The Humbolt on Murphy Brown or the SeaBees on Frasier. It's an episode where people act a little crazy and sometimes out of character, but it's once a season and they're usually fun to watch.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, Loandbehold said:

Same went for last season. Since it's only been shown in the Spring on NBC, they've had to be creative in how they do their "Halloween" Heist episodes.

To me it doesn't really matter what time of year they happen, it's just a fun annual thing the series does that I enjoy watching. 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, sweetandsour said:

Yes, I think so, too.  And if you asked the writers/producers what it was supposed to be, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't know, either.  The idea of the joke is all they brought to life, not the actual content. 

7 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Interesting... and not nearly as vulgar as it could have been. Thanks for finding it for us.

It reminds me of the Venus Butterfly from L.A Law. You know it's something sexual that women find incredibly pleasurable, it takes two people, it involves food or something you need to order from room service, and that's about it. The writers leave it up to the imagination of the audience, because the writers believe that our minds will come up with something far wilder and more scandalous than they could ever dream of. 

• Love 3

It reminds me of the Venus Butterfly from L.A Law. You know it's something sexual that women find incredibly pleasurable, it takes two people, it involves food or something you need to order from room service, and that's about it. The writers leave it up to the imagination of the audience, because the writers believe that our minds will come up with something far wilder and more scandalous than they could ever dream of. 

The Venus Butterfly was a real thing (but without the comic flourishes), it just wasn't called that at the time.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, bethy said:

Well, of course Rosa won. What Gina was for others, Rosa is for me. She's never wrong; she always gets the better of everyone else; now she has more heist wins than everyone else. Sure. Fine. Whatever. 

You and I are the only viewers who don’t like Rosa. I agree with you completely. This character has been one-dimensional since the pilot. The actress has not showed a lot of range in this role.

The cold open was great. I'll be honest, I could watch an entire episode just from the point of view of some random officers who have to deal with all the squad's craziness during the heists or the Jimmy Jab Games.

What I don't think I could take would be an entire episode from Bill's point of view. He frightens me.

I'm not a big fan of the heist episodes. I feel like they got old a couple of seasons ago, and going back to them once a season is unnecessary, but this at least freshened the format. The heist going wrong first with Cheddar eating the gems then Scully (of course), and it all being a long con by Rosa involving table ham.

Amy dismissing Holt as a "dusty old skeleton" was amazing, as was Rosa's laugh. The heists really do bring out everyone's mean side, if Amy is prepared to just slam Holt like that. And then she asks if she's allowed to choke Charles to death. And not only that, she got Jake to see a therapist (something he refused to see any value in) then had him visit a fake therapist.

Cheddar's entrance was spectacular. Whichever writer came up with that needs to win awards.

Rosa choosing the filing cabinet over Hitchcock made complete sense. I'd have done the same. I mean, Scully is gross due to his bodily functions and his countless ailments, but Hitchcock is actually gross.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, mammaM said:

Rosa for the win!!!!!!!!

And Cheddar! I wasn't sure if we'd see Cheddar again. Not to bring everyone down but right after last season ended I read that the dog who played Cheddar passed away (peacefully, in their sleep). At the time the writers didn't know if they were going to write that into the show or recast.

Awww 😞. After Stella from Modern Family, and Cosmo (or was it Comet?) from Fuller House.  

I guess all dogs go to heaven... in threes?

• Love 2