Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Pinned

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 responds to accidents at a bowling alley and a home renovation, as Athena pursues a car thief. Bobby and Michael take Harry camping, and Chimney and Maddie rush into action when their romantic dinner date takes a wild turn.

Airdate: 03/30/2020

I really like Michael and Bobby's friendship. Bobby is so great helping Michael cope - I wonder if Michael realizes when he talks about possibly missing Harry grow up and missing him, that Bobby doesn't get to see either of his children grow up.

Chimney is a good guy. I'm not sure Maddie deserves him.

Are we sure JLH isn't pregnant in real life?

I don't understand the point of taking over a 9-1-1 center. What are they hoping to accomplish?

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 12

I thought for sure that when Bobby and Harry got back from picking a place to plant the tree, they would find Michael either unconscious or dead in the tent. 

As for the ending, I knew that we would see the guy who assaulted what's-his-name (sorry, I can't remember) again, but I didn't know when or where.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't understand the point of taking over a 9-1-1 center. What are they hoping to accomplish?

Same thought here, and when people start calling in and do not get a response, won't that trigger some alarms?

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I thought for sure that when Bobby and Harry got back from picking a place to plant the tree, they would find Michael either unconscious or dead in the tent. 

Totally. I'm glad they didn't go there.

11 minutes ago, preeya said:

Same thought here, and when people start calling in and do not get a response, won't that trigger some alarms?

Right? I have a feeling this isn't going to go well for Josh.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Leverage did something similar in its episode The Run Down Job. The 911 center was to be taken out so the bad guys could release a bio weapon in the city. Just sayin'!

I thought last week the guy who got beat up on his movie date was a dumbass for not reporting it or ID-ing the two perps. I mean, who gives a care that he got suckered or someone laughs at him. We all knew something worse was going to happen because of his stupidity. 

Some of these accidents are really hard to watch, like the bowling-alley arm. And the nail gun ... for cripes sake, I kept yelling to unhook it or put it down or SOMETHING because I knew one of those two was going to get nailed.

I saw a real x-ray of a guy who shot himself through the head with one of those, and he lived. I wouldn't like to try it myself though.

Where is a rotating restaurant in whatever city they are in. I thought they were in NYC but maybe it's Seattle? Or Vegas? Not that anyone's eating in them now, but next time I'm in one, I'm not sitting by the window.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Where is a rotating restaurant in whatever city they are in. I thought they were in NYC but maybe it's Seattle? Or Vegas? Not that anyone's eating in them now, but next time I'm in one, I'm not sitting by the window.

Totally unrealistic within the restaurant. First off they move so slowly you can't/don't even know you are moving. They portrayed it here like it was akin to a merry-go-round. Most famous one I can recall was atop the World Trade Center in NYC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Watching that bowling scene (before the accident)) brought back memories of when I used to manually set up bowling pins when I was in college.  Yes, I'm that old. 😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I guess lesson learned: next time you get beat up, report it. Because the guy very well may follow you and then hold up your entire call center! 

Small jokes aside, I get that Josh couldn't have predicted that his attacker would do this. But man, when he was saying that he swore that he saw Greg hanging around while he was getting to work, I knew that was foreshadowing to the end of the episode. 

The cases this week were certainly a bit more brutal than usual. That bowling one, in particular, was difficult to watch.

So, Chimney/Maddie finally talk about their feelings. So of course it was also foreshadowing to Maddie using code to get Chimney to realize that something was wrong. Still, I thought Maddie's reasoning for not being able to say I love you makes perfect sense after everything she's gone through. But I also just saw a recent episode of another episode where an abuse victim was explaining why she also couldn't say I love you to her partner.

Michael, Bobby, and Harry go camping. Poor kid had to witness his own father have a bit of a breakdown. It's understandable why Michael's angry right now, but Bobby also had every right to call him out on his behaviour. I still lean toward Michael surviving past this season, and the more they talk about Michael dying, the more I feel like I'm right. I'm glad Michael has finally gotten more airtime, though. He's been underused all series. 

Athena's scene with May, as well as with Hen, were great.

• Love 10

I’m sorry, was there other things on the show besides Chim without a shirt on? Damn. He is one of my favorite characters and I was not expecting a shirtless scene from him. Buck? Yes. Eddie? Maybe. Chim? So glad they did!

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
28 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But I also just saw a recent episode of another episode where an abuse victim was explaining why she also couldn't say I love you to her partner.

I thought of All Rise.  In all the shows I've seen about domestic violence, I don't ever recall one covering the fraught nature of "I love you" so I found it kind of amusing when both shows aired episodes covering that aspect so close together. 

Obviously, they didn't copy one another but it was still nice to see them go a different route with it on 9-1-1. 

That's some massive coincidence if Josh's date is both a petty thief beating up his dates in public and part of a gang with enough firepower to take over a 9-1-1 call center.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought of All Rise.  In all the shows I've seen about domestic violence, I don't ever recall one covering the fraught nature of "I love you" so I found it kind of amusing when both shows aired episodes covering that aspect so close together. 

Right! That was the show I was trying to wrack my brain in finding the name for. I just binge watched the four episodes that I missed. 

I liked how both shows covered the topic in different ways. 

3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's some massive coincidence if Josh's date is both a petty thief beating up his dates in public and part of a gang with enough firepower to take over a 9-1-1 call center.

Which is why I assume that Josh's date directly targeted him for something. I dunno, he took his wallet and keys but then left everything. Maybe he needed info from Josh in order to infiltrate the call center. So covering it up with him stealing his stuff and then dumping it down the road was the way to do it.

• Love 2

Damn Chim, been hitting the gym? Looking fiiiiiiine!

Let that be a lesson kids. If your mugged and beaten up, file a police report, or else they might show up at your place of work with a massive ass gun and take everyone hostage! So what is the evil plan here? They cant be robbing the place, is this all a distraction while other people rob someone else? Seems like a big escalation from fraud/park mugging to massive hostage situation of a dispatch station. 

I always love Athena's scenes with Hen, and as sad as a lot of the scenes of Bobby and Michael camping were really sad, I did like them a whole lot, especially Michael telling Bobby that he needs him to be there for Harry growing up, and to keep his memory alive. I was really nervous that he would get seriously hurt or something. I still dont know if Michael will actually die, its kind of hard to tell at this point. I really love the friendship between him and Bobby, its so sweet and well earned. Also interesting how Michael was talking to Bobby about getting to see his kids grow up while Michael couldn't, while Bobby never got to see his kids grow up because they died and Bobby lived.

Of course Chim and Maddie go out for a nice date and find themselves in a medical situation! Its like when a detective goes on vacation, you know its just gonna end up with a murder, and when your a first responded, you just know that your gonna need to save someone from some ridiculous situation. This show seems to exist to make me paranoid about doing random things. Bowling, renovations, dinner, anything could lead to an insane and possibly fatal accident! Glad that Chims brother showed up again, I like him a lot and I like the stuff with him and Chim. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

They're in L.A., I assume they were at the Bonaventure Hotel downtown. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Most famous one I can recall was atop the World Trade Center in NYC.

There was no rotating restaurant in the World Trade Center. You might be thinking of the one at the Marriott Marquis.

11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Me neither. There’s no money there.

I thought of All Rise too, when Maddie couldn’t say she loved Chim. The character on All Rise voiced the same ideas - she had said it to her abusive ex to placate him and he’d said it to her and followed it with a fist so it lost meaning. I think telling someone that you feel joy when you’re with them is as good as telling someone you love them. I also think showing it is the best of all ways.

Chim needs to be shirtless more. 

I don’t like public proposals either but the girlfriend was right - if you’re with someone for five years and you take her to a fancy restaurant and give her a ring-sized box, she’s going to think it’s a ring.

The Michael-Bobby scenes are so good - I love their blended family. I want Michael to live, dammit!

• Love 10

Is proposing at a restaurant considered a public proposal? That used to be where most people proposed. My husband proposed at a restaurant but no one knew except the wait staff. I always think things like asking on a jumbo tron screen are public proposals. 

I liked the scenes between Chim and Maddie and the camping scenes were good too. Happy this show is back.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Is proposing at a restaurant considered a public proposal? That used to be where most people proposed. My husband proposed at a restaurant but no one knew except the wait staff. I always think things like asking on a jumbo tron screen are public proposals. 

I would consider any proposal in a public setting with strangers to be a public proposal. It doesn't matter if it's in front of hundreds of people or just a dozen. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I would consider any proposal in a public setting with strangers to be a public proposal. It doesn't matter if it's in front of hundreds of people or just a dozen. 

Agreed, a restaurant is definitely a public proposal. And as we saw, public stuff is even more public now because so much stuff is recorded and posted - the whole restaurant pulled out their phones.

• Love 8

I suppose the bad guys could just be holding the 911 center for a ransom, but how do they escape? Also,they seem more like thugs than sophisticated terrorists. 

Ah, black don't crack. Athena mentions that her parents are 'in their 70's' (Angela Bassett is, of course, 61)!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I suppose the bad guys could just be holding the 911 center for a ransom, but how do they escape? Also,they seem more like thugs than sophisticated terrorists. 

Ah, black don't crack. Athena mentions that her parents are 'in their 70's' (Angela Bassett is, of course, 61)!

I think Athena is supposed to be in her early 50s. I think Angela Bassett is so beautiful.

18 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

When I had my proposal we were at a table away from other people and no one even noticed. So do people propose at their homes now? All I see are pictures of people who seem to propose in front of their friends. 

You can propose anywhere you like. The last person I know who got engaged (last fall) got engaged at the home she shares with her fiancé, the day before they went on a vacation. She came home from work & he had the place decorated nicely. I don’t know anyone personally who has had a public proposal but I know people who know people who have, or who were a part of public proposals. I think they’re more common in the age of social media. I also know people who have gotten engaged outdoors but privately- a quiet corner of a favorite park, for example. I wouldn’t want one because of my personality - public grand gestures aren’t my thing, and I would really hate for someone to post my engagement on Twitter and have people comment on it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

you take her to a fancy restaurant and give her a ring-sized box, she’s going to think it’s a ring.

Didn't she grab it out of his hand before he could open it and reveal the earrings? So it's not like he GAVE it to her ...

And a big no to wanting my anything filmed by strangers and posted online, or sent to RTM for teevee viewing. I hate all those filmed "surprise" proposals and hate the gender-reveal ones just as much. Everyone is so "It's all about me" these days.

If the bad guys hold 9-1-1 hostage, their partners can rob a bank or a bunch of stores and no cops will come. Everyone will be calling 911 and getting a big nothing.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 3

Totally unrealistic within the restaurant. First off they move so slowly you can't/don't even know you are moving. They portrayed it here like it was akin to a merry-go-round. 

Yeah I couldn't figure out how that was supposed to work. It looked like the outer ring of the interior was rotating. The only rotating restaurant I've ever been to, the entire room rotated, and it did so VERY slowly. It wasn't just the interior rotating against the exterior (hence, the impossibility of an accident such as this one). It was the entire structure. I don't know if that's a real thing but obviously that would be potentially deadly!

True story: when we were "kids" me and some of my gal pals would play "proposal" at nice restaurants to see if they would comp us the meal. Only one ever did but we got some free desserts elsewhere, LOL. 

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The only rotating restaurant I've ever been to, the entire room rotated, and it did so VERY slowly.

I ate at Vegas' Stratosphere some years ago, and I remember the outer tables, the ones by the window, rotating, albeit very slowly. I was seated in a booth opposite the window tables and I remember those window-table occupants being different after my meal. According to its website, it rotates a full 360 degrees every 80 minutes. It also says this: "A circular area of the floor next to the windows is all that rotates."

I guess we hand wave the super speed of this show's revolving restaurant, just like we had to hand wave how a fire axe broke those lag bolts with a couple of whacks, freeing up the table so it could be moved.

Thanks @iMonrey for the tip on how to score some free desserts. LOL!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

While I was watching this on Hulu I got a number of ads for "9-1-1 : Lone Star" and I realized that I had completely forgotten about that show. I watched the whole thing but it just didn't "take" for me. Meanwhile, I've been so glad to get back to Original Recipe 9-1-1.

But I'll admit that this was a vastly different show in the first season than it turned out to be. I rewatched S1 a few months ago and I barely recognized it compared to now. (Remember when Buck was a sex addict?)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Are we sure JLH isn't pregnant in real life?

From Ghost Whisperer to Criminal Minds to 9-1-1, JLH has been showing up on my favorite shows and people have been asking if she's pregnant.

I chalk it up to...that's just her body.

• Love 2

Can a 17-year-old legally manage a bowling alley? Don’t you have to be 18 to sign contracts? I’m confident he’ll do just fine but it kind of left us with a plot hole. I’m glad they went there with him firing the nepotism nephew. Did the nepotism kid letting the customers change lanes without doing anything have something to do with her arm getting caught?

I do not believe that a guy who had just admonished his daughter not to point a nail gun (or any gun) at anything you weren’t aiming at would shoot himself.
Or are these all ripped from the headlines? If so, I still think it would have been that one person gave the safety lecture, but the other refused to take directions from the lecturer.  
I was hoping for Chim’s sake the dad wasn’t HIV- or Hep C- or anything else-positive.

22 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

On a different show, one of the call receivers would have said something like, “I think you guys hit the wrong place.”

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Leverage did something similar in its episode The Run Down Job. The 911 center was to be taken out so the bad guys could release a bio weapon in the city. Just sayin

Huh. So then I guess they went to all the trouble of committing a hate crime just to gain access? Seems a little OTT.

12 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Apropos of nothing, there is a revolving restaurant atop the CN Tower in Toronto (once the tallest freestanding building in the world).

Thank you! I was trying to remember when and where I’d been in a revolving restaurant. It was in Toronto with my sister and brother-in-law during the SARS pandemic.  

1 hour ago, marceline said:

From Ghost Whisperer to Criminal Minds to 9-1-1, JLH has been showing up on my favorite shows and people have been asking if she's pregnant.

I chalk it up to...that's just her body.

It was more tgan just her body. They seemed to be employing many of the tv tropes to hide a pregnancy. Loose bathrobe, monochrome clothes, holding things in front of her belly.  And then there were a few camera angles where she really does seem to have a baby bump.  No judgement- I'd love to look like her - she just really looks pregnant to me.

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If the bad guys hold 9-1-1 hostage, their partners can rob a bank or a bunch of stores and no cops will come. Everyone will be calling 911 and getting a big nothing.

I bet it will be that but a bit further. Like some Hans Gruber style plot where the bad guys tell the dispatch operators to send all the cops to the west side of the city while their friends Rob a bank on the east side.

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Can a 17-year-old legally manage a bowling alley? Don’t you have to be 18 to sign contracts? I’m confident he’ll do just fine but it kind of left us with a plot hole. I’m glad they went there with him firing the nepotism nephew. Did the nepotism kid letting the customers change lanes without doing anything have something to do with her arm getting caught?

That was brutal. Although even in the few industrial type places I have worked in I know the first thing they tell you is don't work on any moving machinery until you have locked it out. Just for this type of situation.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Did the nepotism kid letting the customers change lanes without doing anything have something to do with her arm getting caught?

Yes, they switched to lane 5, which he was supposed to have closed down by putting a sign up. The rolling ball set off the mechanism, clamping down on the owner's arm.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:52 PM, saber5055 said:

I've been to two: one in San Antonio and one in St Pete Beach.

• Love 1

My High School senior prom was at a revolving restaurant, appropriately called Changing Scenes.  The whole place revolved,  not just an floor outer ring.  Maybe that was why it was going so fast on the show, that it almost looked like a merry go round, because the mechanism was under that outer part of the floor.  The restaurant I was in went so slowly you couldn't feel it moving at all but periodically you could look out the window and see that the skyline was different.  It was pretty cool.

• Love 3

Can a 17-year-old legally manage a bowling alley? Don’t you have to be 18 to sign contracts? 

I don't think you have to sign a contract to manage a bowling alley any more than you have to sign a contract to manage a Burger King. There are child labor laws regarding the number of hours they can work but you can call them whatever you want. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I absolutely understand in real life why a person may not tell someone they know about a medical crisis.   They don't want to have deal with all of the "drama" from others.

That, plus a lot of "friends" disappear, either because they can't deal with someone's illness or don't know what to say or dump the person because now that person is a downer because they're dying.

14 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Talk about being ripped from the headlines but much worse.

Wow, horrible and yes, ripped from the headlines. Although the headline in that story link made it sound like the family was crushed, not the little boy.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, BooksRule said:

As for the ending, I knew that we would see the guy who assaulted what's-his-name (sorry, I can't remember) again, but I didn't know when or where.

I thought he was going to be dead in the tent.

And can something traumatic happen to someone other than Chimney and Maddie? Just anyone other than those two, how much shit does have to happen to them?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Michael is the one dealing with the medical crisis, Athena needs to keep her pie whole shut about the whole thing.   He is going through a lot just dealing with the medical issue, he doesn't need Athena adding to the stress.

I absolutely understand in real life why a person may not tell someone they know about a medical crisis.   They don't want to have deal with all of the "drama" from others.

I would agree, except that Athena will be the one dealing with two kids that lost their dad.

• Love 9
(edited)

I do think Athena needs to back off and let Michael deal with his medical crisis.  Not only is he dealing with that, but also with the fact that his children have a stepfather who will replace him when/if he dies.  Yes, I know that he and Michael are "friends" now (although I've always thought that the "one big happy family" thing was too good to be true and happened too soon).  So Michael needs to process stuff right now and Athena should understand that. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, toodywoody said:

And can something traumatic happen to someone other than Chimney and Maddie? Just anyone other than those two, how much shit does have to happen to them?

Right? I think I may have derisively snort-laughed at that scene.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, toodywoody said:

I thought he was going to be dead in the tent.

Like everything that's happened to Butch?

Hen possibly causing someone's death with failure to siren?

They've all had a rough season and a half really.

I would be cool with all them not being in immediate danger for a while. I know their jobs are dangerous. But, outside of that, I'd like them to not be in mortal danger.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2020 at 6:25 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I really like Michael and Bobby's friendship. Bobby is so great helping Michael cope - I wonder if Michael realizes when he talks about possibly missing Harry grow up and missing him, that Bobby doesn't get to see either of his children grow up.

That's what I was thinking. It 's terrible for both of them, in different ways.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, preeya said:

One would hope.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, saber5055 said:

Apparently there's enough of them in the LA area for Yelp to have a "Top Ten Revolving Restaurants in Los Angeles" section. 😂

On 3/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, Mystery said:

They're in L.A., I assume they were at the Bonaventure Hotel downtown. 

That was the top one on the top ten list!

On 3/31/2020 at 7:43 AM, Empress1 said:

Agreed, a restaurant is definitely a public proposal. And as we saw, public stuff is even more public now because so much stuff is recorded and posted - the whole restaurant pulled out their phones.

I wouldn't have liked a public proposal back before the age of cell phones, and I particularly wouldn't like one now. I much prefer the private, intimate, proposal.

On 3/31/2020 at 5:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

I think it was more a "you're in charge until I get back" statement than an actual promotion to manager. Someone competent had to run things while she was gone.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, saber5055 said:

Some of these accidents are really hard to watch, like the bowling-alley arm. And the nail gun ... for cripes sake, I kept yelling to unhook it or put it down or SOMETHING because I knew one of those two was going to get nailed.

I saw a real x-ray of a guy who shot himself through the head with one of those, and he lived. I wouldn't like to try it myself though.

I saw the previews of this episode, and couldn't bring myself to watch. I'm realizing that I'm covering my eyes or leaving the room "to get water" almost every episode because the accidents are grossing me out too much.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TVForever said:

I saw the previews of this episode, and couldn't bring myself to watch. I'm realizing that I'm covering my eyes or leaving the room "to get water" almost every episode because the accidents are grossing me out too much.

But, unlike IRL, this show never shows dismemberment --which is what has always freaked me out, since childhood. 
Once I figured that out, I was able to watch.
They don't even show stuff as gross as Bones (which I had to watch through closely spaced fingers).

• Love 1

Michael and Bobby are opposite sides of the same coin with regard to fathers losing children or children losing fathers. I hope that at least for Bobby, it is somewhat healing for him. Nothing can change the pain of losing a child (I have watched my mother & father grieve the loss of my adult brother and it is . . . brutal unlike anything you can imagine), but there are things that can be a balm on it. I hope helping raise these two kids at least gives Bobby some wonderful, LIVING, ongoing memories of parenting that are not tied up in his children's deaths.

As for proposals, my husband proposed to me while giving a toast and thanks at the reception after the (Catholic -- his family -- yikes) baptism of our daughter. Safe to say I did NOT see that coming! (I was somewhat frazzled, having just come from washing out the diaper-apocalypse from the family's hundred year old french lace christening gown -- in secret so his mother didn't actually murder me on the spot). Nobody expects a proposal to the mother from the father at the baptism, I gotta tell you! Our lovely priest was tickled pink -- he only mentioned once before the baptism "do get around the marriage part sooner rather than later, ok?"

BTW, JLH is just built like that. She is blessed with a very generous bosom, and that already  just makes you look heavier than you are.  Her waist is perfectly trim, but she has had a couple of kids, and I know she has never been a real "tits up!" (Mrs. Maisel) kind of woman. She's usually been dressed pretty modestly when it has been her choice in what to wear. So, being busty and generally preferring to be a bit more covered up (and wearing blazers, etc) she just doesn't look like what we typically see. She's also really tiny, and shortwaisted. If she gained 2 ounces she'd probably have a poochy belly. She has a seriously enviable body, in my opinion. 

• Love 4