Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: Secrets and Lies

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Also, Zach's allegations that he never lied are completely false, the "remote friend" story notwithstanding. Having a hidden relationship with Lyndsay is a lie- it's a lie of omission.

But there are people who think a lie by omission isn't the same as, or as bad as, actually saying something untruthful.  So I can see how he would believe this wasn't a lie.

But I wish that lady V would have pinned him down on the "you don't know the person who told me and wouldn't recognize their name."  Those are spoken words that are untrue.

Of course he could rationalize it by saying he didn't want to harm Mindy's friendship with Lindsey, but he'd have a hard time characterizing it as a truthful statement.

3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I kept rewinding the paycheck thing over and over because between Michael's mumbling and the roundabout questions/answers, I was having great difficulty in following. My interpretation is that maybe the salary offer was low (maybe he had quoted her a larger number?) and he was trying to do backwards math to convince her that the gross salary presented on the offer was really his net?

That makes a LOT of sense.  The letter showed the gross, but he said it's the net. 

But didn't Meka claim he forged the letter?  That would indicate that it wasn't just a mismatch between the number on the letter (net) and the number he says it actually is (gross).  Or is it even possible that he forged the letter AND put too low of a number on it, and had to modify that on the fly?  If so, that's about as much incompetence as one person should be able to exhibit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, MyTwoCents said:

Exactly!! Let’s hope Karma pays a special visit to Zatch 🤬

I don't believe in a magical force of Karma. At the very least such a person will never experience the depth, height and width of a loving intimate relationship because he is incapable of it. Or he could go bald muahhahaha

I just thought of who Mindy reminds me of...She is nearly the spitting image of Kiera Knightley with a great make up job.

Kierra.JPG.3e29bfbb148f2258d4179d67e72d1418.JPG

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/25/2020 at 9:37 PM, Silver Bells said:

Katy is immature and annoying.  Just my opinion of course.

Anyone else notice Dr. Viv's facial expressions when Katie (commenting on Derek's dreams) was going on and on and on about how, 'Sure, one has some dreams early on, but like ME, you grow up and get past them and mature and face the future.' (Not an exact quote...just my summary of the gist of it.)  You can tell Dr.  Viv was inwardly mulling over the psychology of why such a young woman believes her "dreaming years" are waaay over.  Katie, I suspect, has some unresolved family issues.  Well, I mean "who DOESN'T??" ☺️, but I DO question her protests and fears re Derek's sharing his own dreams.  (And I think that any good therapist would 'catch her' on her comments:  25 yrs old and 'too mature to dream.'  Sad and worthy of self--or professional analysis.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

Anyone else notice Dr. Viv's facial expressions when Katie (commenting on Derek's dreams) was going on and on and on about how, 'Sure, one has some dreams early on, but like ME, you grow up and get past them and mature and face the future.' (Not an exact quote...just my summary of the gist of it.)  You can tell Dr.  Viv was inwardly mulling over the psychology of why such a young woman believes her "dreaming years" are waaay over.  Katie, I suspect, has some unresolved family issues.  Well, I mean "who DOESN'T??" ☺️, but I DO question her protests and fears re Derek's sharing his own dreams.  (And I think that any good therapist would 'catch her' on her comments:  25 yrs old and 'too mature to dream.'  Sad and worthy of self--or professional analysis.)

Its so goofy about having dreams. Didn't Katie dream of being Married at First Sight? Did her friends shoot her down when she told them she sent in an app? Or if she asked someone if she should put in an app they could say grow up Katie get out of the dream world find some schlep you can push around and have four kids.

• Love 6
On 3/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, Chalby said:

Did anyone else notice Zach becoming less attractive with each week? He look great on the wedding day, but then his face was getting puffier, and ruddier, and he was not dressing well. Maybe he's closet drinker, or ...? When he was bold-face lying to the counsellor after Mindy told her she wanted a divorce, I found he looked nothing like he did the first day. Maybe stress aged him overnight? It's hard to look good while hiding so many side chick secrets (and a possible drinking problem) from prying television eyes, lol.

Yes, yes, yes.  I could not agree more with this fabulous post.  Thank you!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Even jail doesn't want Zach.

LOLOLOL....oh, I ASSURE you that I have met MANY A-holes in jail and prison who were slicker, more sophisticated, more devious, more insufferable and more emotionally irritating than zach and it's the ONE VENUE that knows no bounds in acceptance and/or lack of discrimination.

I will say, however, that dudes like zach, who come into custody with a long history of thinking they were superior at manipulating and scheming to hurt others come crashing down to earth in the worst environment known to mankind.  Some thought they would "take over" the in custody situation and rise above the more "seasoned" con artist inmates.  Those are the ones who, in my experience, do the worst.  

Let's put it this way:  Anybody with a compelling sense of personal space and freedom should avoid breaking the law in any way, shape manner or form!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DrewPaul2010 said:
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

I'm surprised the internet detectives haven't identified who this Lindsay is.

Lindsey.JPG.a34242f79265c8afbd7181e910199886.JPG

Here's a picture.

I still don't see her as Zach's type.

Also she needs to stay out of the sun. Guess she was determined to wear that dress no matter what.

• Love 6
On 3/25/2020 at 11:04 PM, Racj82 said:
On 3/26/2020 at 1:51 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

This will reveal me to be a horrible person, but I was so hoping Michael's sister was going to say, "What??  He told you he's adopted?"

that was a really good one.  Probably holding back that very answer. No I know that they mentioned about his mother but that's no real excuse lots of people have very difficult childhood but they're not liars when they have no reason to lie.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:25 AM, MajorNelson said:

In the past, women posters have said if Katie doesn't want Derek, they'd take him.

Well how about:
-sneaks into the circus on dates to pet the elephants
-writes awesome poems, about life and finding solace in love

Any more takers?

Meeeeeeee!

On 3/26/2020 at 11:45 AM, Elizzikra said:

The one whose dress showed her tan lines in a very unflattering way.

Does he not drive or not have a car? A lot of people in the DC area don't have cars - street parking is hard to find in some (most) neighborhoods and parking spaces are expensive. Our public transportation system is pretty extensive so depending on where you live, it's not hard to get around without a car.

Then he should get to work The way he did before he married taylor. Given that he's pretty nasty to Taylor and she's putting herself out driving him to work and back from work. How does he do his work promoting alcohol in small events without having or driving a car? Inquiring minds just wanna know.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, Chalby said:

I don't know if his family 'enabled' Michael, but his sister's observation made total sense. I have watched students who initially appear 'odd, but uniquely interesting', get tormented and shunned daily by their peers. Kid's just don't understand why the child is not interested in 'regular' things. If an adult steps in, the child will be harassed even more, but in a sneakier way. So the child learns not to tell an adult, and also learns to adopt the behaviours and stories of any accepted students.  Michael is so insecure about his own journey through life, he just adopts the persona of what he believes a successful male would say and do (without knowing how to back up his charade with tangible facts.) I believe he truly wants to be married because he is a very lonely soul.

You have just been conned by a con artist.  And not a very good con artist.

22 hours ago, LaLaLaLa said:

I know the popular opinion on here is that Michael has mental health problems, but I think he simply a liar. As a few others have said, I think he lies just to present himself better than he can if he shows Meka (and us) who he really is. That is not a mental health problem, that is someone who is trying to manipulate. He comes across to me as a very bad, lazy, and not very intelligent con artist.

A "Con Artist" is a Sociopath.  Sociopathic Personality Disorder is a type of Personality Disorder and has a clinical diagnostic code.  It is a mental disorder in the Diagnostic manual, thus it is a mental disorder.  People with Personality Disorders don't change and they usually show signs as children and/or adolescents.  They see themselves as victims and often they have sad "stories" that get them the benefit of the doubt with sympathetic people.  I think this is what Michael's sister was hinting at.  They make excuses for their behavior and other people do too.  Bernie Madoff was a very smart one and Micheal is a dumb one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, sasha206 said:

What's really wild to me is that he's on national TV lying.  Did he not think of the repercussions of being televised lying?

Just thinking of the short term and a Belief that he can talk his way out of anything and he really can't talk his way out of a paper bag. When he grab the ladder I noticed that it was folded the wrong way. This kind of letter would have been mailed and the way it was folded it couldn't get in an envelope. Stupid Michael folded In a way that just didn't make sense except if he had written it and folded it up if it was a real offer I think somebody would've folded it in a three-way kind of neat fold or have to have but not the long half.

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That makes a LOT of sense.  The letter showed the gross, but he said it's the net. 

But didn't Meka claim he forged the letter?  That would indicate that it wasn't just a mismatch between the number on the letter (net) and the number he says it actually is (gross).  Or is it even possible that he forged the letter AND put too low of a number on it, and had to modify that on the fly?  If so, that's about as much incompetence as one person should be able to exhibit.

Ha!  You got that right.  I wonder if he really is a college graduate?

I really enjoy watching with the couples and didn't even see any of their season except the first season.  I like these couples and I want to know their stories.  I'm glad they found love through this crazy process when the producers don't care to make a good matches.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Lindsey.JPG.a34242f79265c8afbd7181e910199886.JPG

Here's a picture.

Yes, I meant her full name, social media!  You know how when the internet gets outraged over something they end up finding that person and have more details.  It's making me wonder if her name really is Lindsay.

• Love 2

Why does everything have to be a diagnosis? 

Not everybody is the same? 

What happened to people just being I don't know, "different?"

I get tired of everything being some sort of shit from DSM whatever.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ShowFan said:

That’s I’d much rather see Zach being punched than innocent inanimate objects? Yeah, I’m dead serious. 

You seemed to be talking as if the pinata was a real thing. That's why I was confused.

6 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm surprised the internet detectives haven't identified who this Lindsay is.

MAFSfan had a Instagram post recently in which a former friend of Lindsey's shared some unflattering opinions of her.

• Useful 2

I'm totally confused after all that has been said & done, that Brandon & Taylor are even attempting to behave normally or intrested in one another at this point.  It just comes across as disingenuous. 

As for Katie- oh jeeze. Her behavior towards Derek was SO condescending.  However, in trying to shame him & embarrass him about the love poem, she really just embarrassed herself. She came across so corny right there, even Derek the "dork" was standing there like "okayyyy...." as she went off. 

As for the "hot date" to formal and "sneaking into the circus," this chick is way too jealous of the spontaneity and romance that she was not a part of. Derek is not going to whisk you off on adventures and creative "dorky" outings if you give him nothing to work with other than the personality and charisma of a tax auditor. 

Instead of a jealous tirade, I would've probably quipped to Derek "oh yeah? Did Monica pet *your* elephant at the circus?" Or some immature pun to that effect. Well maybe not- since my husband has soiled my mind to that end...I like to think I was more pure as a single at Derek & Katie's age lol! But you get it...just roll with the past.  Everyone has a history and you have to focus on the future (hopefully, If lucky, the future TOGETHER).

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

I agree. I know some people were suggesting she doesn't look very good on the show, but I always thought she was just stressed. I wouldn't be that motivated to try to look incredible for someone who already thought I wasn't attractive on my WEDDING day. Even people who aren't all that great-looking tend to look good on their wedding day (and she looked beautiful). If someone doesn't like you then, they probably won't. That's about as good as it gets, with full makeup/hair/bridal glow. 

At the risk of sounding shallow, she's actually looked less and less attractive to me as the season went on. I thought she was gorgeous at first (and she is). You could just see the stress, pain and exhaustion on her face and in her body language. That wears on you over time and makes you look less attractive. And imagine if she'd worn sexy cocktail dresses and full makeup every time he came over...she would have looked desperate or like she was trying too hard and it would have been even more embarrassing for her. 

Mindy went full sweat-and-sweatpants on Night One. 

• Love 3

Reading through posts it struck me that my old is showing. The thought of driving Brandon around when he and Taylor obviously are not only doomed but don’t like each other is beyond me! As a younger woman maybe I would have. Maybe I would have wanted to look good on tv, or maybe I would have had hope, or maybe he could have sweet talked me. But today’s me? No way! I’ve found the older I get the less I put up with things I find wrong or dislike or just am uninterested in and the easier it is not to care what people think. It’s oddly freeing. 

On a personal note, not diagnosing anyone on the show, I was in a relationship with a charismatic psychopath for a few years. He makes Michael and Zach look like t-ball players lost in the majors. His lies were complicated and multi layered and he had no trouble keeping everything straight. I’m sure it helps that he is brilliant, has great recall and is incredibly polished and charming. These liars are just bad at it. I think both Zach and Michael probably believe they’re good at deception and, especially in Zach’s case, think their charm covers a multitude of sins. Ehh, no. My personal hell on earth man had manipulated his psychiatrist so completely she threatened me for being abusive and cruel to him. (He saw her to sell his damaged childhood story but mainly for various drugs that he charmed out of her depending on his mood. He took some recreationally and sold some. Mainly he just enjoyed manipulating her like he does everyone.) He can charm and fool so easily. Once I finally became aware of the truth of it all watching him do so was horrifyingly fascinating. It was easy for him. Scarily easy. These guys can’t even keep their lies straight for a conversation. And now that I’ve blithered on for awhile I’m not even sure what my point is other than Michael and Zach suck and suck at the lying.

And if I’m going to mention sucking I should mention Katie. She sucks joy and fun out of everything. 

• Love 12
15 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

On a personal note...

I know in the scope of things going on in light of the virus, this show is almost meaningless and silly. It does serve a purpose... for a couple hours a night I think of other people's problems (and triumphs) in a pre-virus world.

Secondly in an odd way I feel a bit of community on this board considering how isolated we are all living. I hope everyone (even you Zach) is well and adjusting to a new world. 

That was nice!  I’m feeling a bit scared here in N.Y.  Twelve guys where I live were playing golf yesterday here and got in trouble with the HOA.  They weren’t six feet apart.  Someone snitched, but that was a good thing.  It spreads like wild fire.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why does everything have to be a diagnosis? 

Not everybody is the same? 

What happened to people just being I don't know, "different?"

I get tired of everything being some sort of shit from DSM whatever.

Yeah, I know what you mean.   Sometimes I feel like it's excusing their actions.  Michael may just be a terrible jerk of a person that lies for no other reason but to make himself look better.  It may not be some uncontrollable affliction due to childhood scars from adoption and bullying.  

• Love 5

If I rewrote the scene in Zach's apt....

Zach:Blah Blah, Blah, Blah,Blah.....wink

Dr. ViV: Did you just wink at me?

Zach: Yes, it was to signal to you that I had a Wordy mixed greens Supreme in the salad spinner...

Dr. Viv(looking into the teleprompter): I'm going to need the crew to come into the shot....

Producer: What's up V?

Dr. ViV: Hold me up while I slam my pump into his face...

Director: Cut! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

They should force the couples to live together (absent violence)  or get the fuck off the show and bring in a new couple.  Although it was fascinating to watch word salad try to weasel out of being anywhere close to Mindy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ramble said:

I think both Zach and Michael probably believe they’re good at deception and, especially in Zach’s case, think their charm covers a multitude of sins. Ehh, no. My personal hell on earth man had manipulated his psychiatrist so completely she threatened me for being abusive and cruel to him. (He saw her to sell his damaged childhood story but mainly for various drugs that he charmed out of her depending on his mood. He took some recreationally and sold some. Mainly he just enjoyed manipulating her like he does everyone.) He can charm and fool so easily. Once I finally became aware of the truth of it all watching him do so was horrifyingly fascinating. It was easy for him. Scarily easy. These guys can’t even keep their lies straight for a conversation. And now that I’ve blithered on for awhile I’m not even sure what my point is other than Michael and Zach suck and suck at the lying.

This is why I agree with those who say that not everyone needs a DSM diagnosis - some people are just liars and jerks!

1 hour ago, MyTwoCents said:

Did anyone notice the look on Zack’s face when Mindy shed a tear and asked him how he could do that to someone? He seemed surprised that she has feelings! He almost tried his wink (which I guess he uses as his ‘get out of jail free’ card because he thinks he’s so handsome and irresistible 🤮) but kinda stopped halfway when he realized he was seriously busted and he can’t con Mindy with it. Then he almost showed a real feeling for half a second before he started worrying again about how he looks on TV

Yeah he had the nerve to give that wink to Jamie when she was disgusted with him on unfiltered.  What a douche!

Edited by princelina
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Racj82 said:

You seemed to be talking as if the pinata was a real thing. That's why I was confused.

Probably because I care more about it than I do about Zach

i can no longer pretend I don’t notice how hairy is Derek! He is cute but oh goodness I couldn’t handle that fur. And that’s coming from someone who has a fur baby for a child. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ShowFan said:

Probably because I care more about it than I do about Zach

i can no longer pretend I don’t notice how hairy is Derek! He is cute but oh goodness I couldn’t handle that fur. And that’s coming from someone who has a fur baby for a child. 

Honestly, I don't think he's as great looking as others do on this board. He seems very sweet thought.

Why do I feel like even though his hairline seems down to his eyebrows that in 30 years he'll be balding on top?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Every time Brandon says absolutely or calls his damn wife Kiddo I want to punch him in his face.

Remember when calling Taytay "Mrs. Reid" caused her to get all mushy inside?...

Now she would reply...Don't F*cking remind me Mother F*cker.....

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Why do I feel like even though his hairline seems down to his eyebrows that in 30 years he'll be balding on top?

It's probably the fratboy cliche.  Like the high school jock who's the hottest thing ever and at the 20 yr reunion he's gross (Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, anyone?) 

That said, a good personality makes the average person "hot " and works vice-versa. Derek is cuter to me based on his personality. I could see him building that massive tree house FOR HIS KIDS. That's what makes him great. He also seems smart enough to get a good deal on property to do that.  He's probably analytical for practical life problems & a good protector for when you go backpacking together. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

On looks in the above girls' brunch pic: in order from best to worst

Meka & Mindy FTW 

Jess

Taylor (not looking her best, here, considering her basic attractiveness on cam)

Katie 

• Love 2
On 3/27/2020 at 1:45 AM, Blissfool said:

Her not-exact words were that she drives him to and from work and everywhere in between.

Genuinely mystified by this.  How can he have the job he does, and not drive?  I don't remember her saying this on the show...did she say it on Unfiltered?

2 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Wow, that Mindy sure needs to work on her looks!  She needs to dress up, do something with her hair, shower for fuck's sake.

(Yes, being sarcastic.  She's very pretty).

I will say that the best I had seen her look the entire time (other than the wedding) was when Dr .Viv came over.  She was wearing nice-fitting jeans and a cute top.  I don't think she had any NEED to wear make-up for Zack or dress up for him when she was hanging out in her own home and he was coming over.  However...thinking back to when I was first dating someone, which is basically the stage they are at, if someone was coming over to hang out with me at my house, I would have at least put on jeans and a halfway decent top (and maybe a little make-up?).  Now that I am married, and see my spouse every.single.day, it doesn't make sense to 'dress up' or wear any make-up just to stay in our house with him, and we are both happier being more casual at home anyway.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:53 PM, configdotsys said:

Brandon looks so different without a mustache.

When Brandon and Taylor went to his old basketball court, that was 'absolutely' the best I have seen him look, and I was trying to figure out why.  Did he have a mustache then?  Also, he had on a shirt that didn't look one size too small, like all his short-sleeved shirts do.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:40 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Why does she insist on saying, "Who ARE you?!"

I think she is just so completely floored by how she has either misjudged him or not seen all these other sides of him.  She imagined he was a no-game, no-deep-emotions, no-cool-activities dorky-dreaming loser, and she is being confronted with so much evidence to the contrary.  I really think it has shaken her to her core.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 3/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, OnTime said:

They plan to stay in NJ and but go to Florida in the winter, so they won't be cold. They will rent out the Florida house the rest of the year as an Airbnb.

I have a second home in Florida and I go in the winter. We don't bother to try and rent it out the rest of the year because that's not when people want to be there.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, gonecrackers said:

As a former poetry writer before life sucked the life out of me, I don't find it hard to believe Derek wrote that poem with no one in particular in mind. I do think Derek is wanting the 'idea' of love, but his expectations might be off. I like him though, & hope he finds the right person someday with whom he'll feel 'it', whatever 'it' is to him. It surely won't be Katie. The guy is freakin' trying his heart out though, almost literally. She didn't care to support him, made him feel stupid about his dreams, then he still opened up his life to her, only to be shit on again. I give him credit because I would not have trusted to go any further opening up to her, ever.

Another former poetry writer here.  I completely agree, and found your comment very illuminating.  In fact it may be precisely because Derek was able to write such an idealistic and fervent poem about love that he hasn't experienced "it" in real life--ideals and reality don't always match up, and that's not always a bad thing. Love can sneak up on you and not be anything like you thought it would be. But I also agree that Katie's behavior guarantees that he won't feel anything near "it" with her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

why do you want her identified? 

I just said I'm surprised.  And it made me wonder if she really is a "lindsay" and whether this was a producer plant.   But apparently she is supposedly a strength and conditioning ice skating coach.

Edited by sasha206
8 hours ago, MyTwoCents said:

Did anyone notice the look on Zack’s face when Mindy shed a tear and asked him how he could do that to someone? He seemed surprised that she has feelings! He almost tried his wink (which I guess he uses as his ‘get out of jail free’ card because he thinks he’s so handsome and irresistible 🤮) but kinda stopped halfway when he realized he was seriously busted and he can’t con Mindy with it. Then he almost showed a real feeling for half a second before he started worrying again about how he looks on TV

I just can’t stand the f..ker.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Wow, that Mindy sure needs to work on her looks!  She needs to dress up, do something with her hair, shower for fuck's sake.

(Yes, being sarcastic.  She's very pretty).

I love that Boston Jaclyn commented about how pretty Mindy looks on that IG post!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

And who is she????  A woman of the world?  Little snot nose.

Speaking of noses, my coffee almost came out of mine while reading your comment. " Little snot nose" lol.... I grew up saying that expression.  I think we're around the same age, Silver Bells, and both New Yorkers; I find myself often agreeing with you.

Back to the show....I have been confused as to why Katie always refers to Derek as a dork. He doesn't appear that way to me. He seems smart, has a good job, dreams, and a nice personality. She's a stick in the mud and he can do better.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Speaking of noses, my coffee almost came out of mine while reading your comment. " Little snot nose" lol.... I grew up saying that expression.  I think we're around the same age, Silver Bells, and both New Yorkers; I find myself often agreeing with you.

Back to the show....I have been confused as to why Katie always refers to Derek as a dork. He doesn't appear that way to me. He seems smart, has a good job, dreams, and a nice personality. She's a stick in the mud and he can do better.

Yes .. Queens, then L.I. , haha.  Going nuts out here like a prisoner with this virus thing.  Every day is the same.  Looking forward to my buddies coming back (N.Y. Housewives) this week or next. 😀

• Love 1