Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Dillman

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Is this about the time I ate a burrito? I was pressured into it.

LOL. 🤣

As opposed to the "street meat" which he agreed to eat.

48 minutes ago, Linny said:

all while Scully stood in the background with his face perfectly covered in red glitter. AMAZING. Talk about commitment to a gag, damn. 

Yes, I can only imagine how uncomfortable that was.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Is this about the time I ate a burrito? I was pressured into it.

No one needs to pressure ME into eating a burrito! I eat four of those glorious bastards every week, baked in my glorious Kitchen Aid toaster oven that can be used to cook a twelve inch pizza in (I earned that bad boy from working twenty years at my work place! I still cherish that mofo!)!

J.K. Simmons, as Holt's hero, FOR THE WIN, BAY-BEHH!

And, to be honest, looking at Scully in this episode covered in red glitter, had me thinking, if you just sprayed off his head, down to his upper clothing, he'd be wearing the primary jumper of the Melbourne Demons of the Australian Football League.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Well, since J.K. Simmons, excuse me, Academy Award winner J.K. Simmons is one of my favorite actors ever, this episode alone is a win in my book!  He was perfect as Dillman!  I liked that he was ultra-serious, but in a way that is different from Holt (although I loved Holt fanboying him until the end), and did show enough smarts to show why he was considered a great detective and still has some of those abilities, but he is just no longer the man that he was, due to hard times and his own selfishness/ego.  I'm glad that they avoided making him a bumbling fool or a fraud.  Another great performance from Mr. Simmons! 

And I equally loved that Kyra Sedgwick directed this, since she and Simmons worked together on The Closer.  But even then, I thought she did a great job here.  Wuntch might be gone, but I would not be against Sedgwick coming back in this role!

Glad to see the Jake/Boyle pair take front and center again, and I'm also happy that this episode reminded everyone that despite the goofy attitude and, well, Boyle-like behavior, Boyle really is a great detective in his own right.  Of course, he would consider turning down the task force job, but I'm glad Jake talked him out of it and supported him, despite his disappointment over not getting it himself.  Jake really has come along way since the beginning.

Thanks to that Rose/Dillman "interrogation" scene, I think I just want a webseries of Stephanie Beatriz recapping every soap opera ever made!

Terry and Amy kind of took backseats for this one, but still had moments that made me laugh.

So, now the question is who is this Leslie Hunt-Minkoff, that his now Holt's favorite since Dillman disappointed him?  I vote her to be one of Andre Braugher's former Homicide co-stars, Melissa Leo!  Of course, the bigger question for Jake is where he ranks on Holt's list?!

Everything you just posted, LUUUUUV!!!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, now the question is who is this Leslie Hunt-Minkoff, that his now Holt's favorite since Dillman disappointed him?  I vote her to be one of Andre Braugher's former Homicide co-stars, Melissa Leo!  Of course, the bigger question for Jake is where he ranks on Holt's list?!

100%

• Love 4
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

OMG when they got to that exchange, I was totally expecting Holt to say "Montes" or "Montez" since he had said in the season 6 "Crime Scene" episode that the best detectives he had ever worked with were that person and Dillman.  Either the writers forgot that, or what has happened since to change Holt's opinion of Montes???  What a double whammy for Holt if his two best detectives have fallen from grace in his eyes within the span of a year.  Maybe Montes used too many exclamation points in an e-mail or likes to watch MTV's "The Challenge." 

"They were already here when I got here."

• Love 8

How do you guys feel about Terry  becoming the "Jerry" of Brooklyn 99? It has been consistently going on since the second half of the previous season and it is a noticeable shift in dynamic that wasn't there before.

(Being the Jerry is a Parks & Recreation reference, it means that he is the butt of a joke often and his co-workers have a tendency to make fun of him or undermine him)

Edited by Harvey

In some ways this felt like a retro sitcom/procedural, where the foil would always be some guest star, but with the callbacks and continuity we expect from B99. I felt they might have all turned on each other a little too fast about the who did the prank, but i'm willing to overlook my own quibble because there was so much great dialog.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Well, since J.K. Simmons, excuse me, Academy Award winner J.K. Simmons is one of my favorite actors ever, this episode alone is a win in my book!  He was perfect as Dillman!  I liked that he was ultra-serious, but in a way that is different from Holt (although I loved Holt fanboying him until the end), and did show enough smarts to show why he was considered a great detective and still has some of those abilities, but he is just no longer the man that he was, due to hard times and his own selfishness/ego.  I'm glad that they avoided making him a bumbling fool or a fraud.  Another great performance from Mr. Simmons! 

And I equally loved that Kyra Sedgwick directed this, since she and Simmons worked together on The Closer.  But even then, I thought she did a great job here.  Wuntch might be gone, but I would not be against Sedgwick coming back in this role!

"The Closer" is a great show.  I inhaled all 7 seasons or whatever extremely quickly.  Very bingable.  From what I remember, every episode was the same and I loved them all.  LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

As soon as JK Simmons walked through the door I knew we were in for a treat. And I loved the parody of the know-it-all detective. Ironically, this same type of character has shown up on dramatic procedurals minus the parody. Detective who knows the difference in glitter shine factor. I mean . . . here it was played for laughs but there are "serious" crime shows that have investigators with that absurd level of knowledge about every conceivable bit of minutia. 

• Love 18
35 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"The Closer" is a great show.  I inhaled all 7 seasons or whatever extremely quickly.  Very bingable.  From what I remember, every episode was the same and I loved them all.  LOL

Did you watch "Major Crimes"?

• Love 2

OMGosh. What a fantastic episode. JK Simmons' performance was Emmy-worthy. The dialogue was so funny, non-stop funny. Just awesome.

I was going to jot down the great lines, but there were too many.

Holt: Why did Scully open a package on Peralta's desk? Perhaps HE was setting up the prank and it blew up in his face.
[Everyone murmurs assent]
Scully: No, I just saw a box and I thought, Oh cookies come in boxes.
[Everyone murmurs assent]

The interrogation scene with Rosa and Dillman was great.

I just have endless praise for this ep. 

• Love 17

Really great episode, as everyone said. 

One thing that did bother me a pinch was when they seemed to put down that Dillman worked at the Yarn Barn. As progressive as this show usually is, I’m a little surprised there wasn’t a line about the dignity of at least having a job, especially for a person down on their luck like Dillman seemed to be. Again, not a huge deal and it wasn’t super offensive or anything (and maybe I’m reading a little much into it as I sit at home filing for unemployment due to a COVID-19 shutdown), but just a bit surprising. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 3/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, sweetandsour said:

OMG when they got to that exchange, I was totally expecting Holt to say "Montes" or "Montez" since he had said in the season 6 "Crime Scene" episode that the best detectives he had ever worked with were that person and Dillman.  Either the writers forgot that, or what has happened since to change Holt's opinion of Montes??? 

Montes died eight years ago ...

I agree this was a standout episode, even though the actual mystery plot was kind of weak. The montage of glass breaking was hilarious (how would Rosa ever be a Blanche?), and I was immediately on board with Dillman when he came in declaring his intention to help Holt with a classic "who has done this."

I loved that Jake's spiraling angst didn't get in the way of his commitment to a bit. The bullhorn and the Nazi accent kept being ridiculous, and he sold the Dillman double-back. I liked too that Dillman wasn't an idiot and wasn't the real culprit, so all of his eerie detective skill still stands. Best of luck to you, Dillman, even though as a super-detective you should've guessed right away that the goal of the glitter was the destruction of the evidence.

The only thing I didn't love was the show always seeming to forget or expecting us to forget that Boyle is a great detective. ("Boyle?! From work?") Jake's encouragement at the end was really sweet though.

Did anybody actually catch the name of the task force?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The bullhorn and the Nazi accent kept being ridiculous, 

I don't get the relevance of the German accent. I thought he sounded like Dieter - that SNL character Mike Myers used to do.

The only thing I didn't love was the show always seeming to forget or expecting us to forget that Boyle is a great detective. ("Boyle?! From work?")

Disagree. Despite his many foibles, Charles has consistently been shown to be a capable and impressive detective.

"I just slipped out."

"Title of your sex tape!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, TimothyQ said:

One thing that did bother me a pinch was when they seemed to put down that Dillman worked at the Yarn Barn. As progressive as this show usually is, I’m a little surprised there wasn’t a line about the dignity of at least having a job, especially for a person down on their luck like Dillman seemed to be. Again, not a huge deal and it wasn’t super offensive or anything (and maybe I’m reading a little much into it as I sit at home filing for unemployment due to a COVID-19 shutdown), but just a bit surprising. 

I almost was bothered by that, but the whole contrast of his working at the Yarn Barn while being some super detective was fantastic, as was the change in his demeanor when he was talking to his supervisor.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get the relevance of the German accent. I thought he sounded like Dieter - that SNL character Mike Myers used to do.

He said he was trying for a Belgian accent like Hercule Poirot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

This is one of those episodes you have to re-watch just to wallow in the dialogue. Probably hands down one of the best episodes for dialogue.  Also the quick, witty rat-a-tat-tat delivery by everyone was pretty great.

I loved Jake and Boyle's relationship dynamic in this one.  At times it felt almost like a Halloween episode and you suspect everyone of pulling one over on Jake.  Amy especially came off suspicious.  But I like how it all played out and I am glad Boyle was the hero here.

JK Simmons is made of win.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9

I lol'd when they panned up to reveal JK Simmons coming out of the elevator.  Genius guest casting yet again.  And directed by Kyra Sedgwick is a fun bonus!  I hope Simmons recurs.

Part of me wishes they would do a locked room mystery as a follow-up.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:40 AM, GussieK said:

Connections, connections . . .  Maybe they will bring on Detective Munch from Homicide and SVU.

OH!  They're on NBC now!  They actually could!

23 hours ago, TimothyQ said:

As progressive as this show usually is, I’m a little surprised there wasn’t a line about the dignity of at least having a job, especially for a person down on their luck like Dillman seemed to be. Again, not a huge deal and it wasn’t super offensive or anything (and maybe I’m reading a little much into it as I sit at home filing for unemployment due to a COVID-19 shutdown), but just a bit surprising.

I noticed that, though I think it was not intentional. It would have been nice if they had thrown in a line about Dillman being an excellent craft store salesperson due to his detailed knowledge of glitter, but that being a detective meant more.  I'm sure that this was written and recorded before current events.  (Sorry to hear about your situation and best wishes.)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I noticed that, though I think it was not intentional. It would have been nice if they had thrown in a line about Dillman being an excellent craft store salesperson due to his detailed knowledge of glitter, but that being a detective meant more.  I'm sure that this was written and recorded before current events.  (Sorry to hear about your situation and best wishes.)

I thought that was a good way to explain both his hyper knowledge of glitter and his contempt for Jake's contempt of that type of knowledge.

• Love 4
On 3/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, Linny said:

... all while Scully stood in the background with his face perfectly covered in red glitter. AMAZING. Talk about commitment to a gag, damn.

I could not take my eyes off him. That was awesome!

• Love 4
On 3/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, AncientNewbie said:

In some ways this felt like a retro sitcom/procedural, where the foil would always be some guest star, but with the callbacks and continuity we expect from B99. I felt they might have all turned on each other a little too fast about the who did the prank, but i'm willing to overlook my own quibble because there was so much great dialog.

The series in general, not just this episode, is a bit retro. Despite being set in a police precinct and using a single camera, the show is very much in the tradition of Taxi, WKRP, NewsRadio, or any other traditional old school three camera workplace sitcom. It's one of the many reasons I love this show.

• Love 3

I was a little surprised that they actually stated Jake's age. Everyone in the show just seems indeterminate and ageless. Also, thirty-nine seems quite old, even though I'm turning that age myself next month.

"I wouldn't care if they were playing actual music!" I'm totally taking that as a jab at Bruno Mars. Rightly so.

Jake really sounded like Herr Flick when he did his 'Belgian' accent.

Nice callback to Dillman being the best detective Holt has ever worked with. I guess poor Montez was always a close second... or not even that, if Minkoff is now Holt's number one.

I feel like the show has used the 'Captain Holt discovers someone he admires has feet of clay' thing a few times, so I was disappointed that Dillman ended up being a fraud. That just fell flat.

Boyle's parenting of Nikolaj is starting to depress me. But I guess you need the life stamped out of you to become a true Boyle. But this was a nice chance to show him being a good cop, and not being caught up in the drama like everyone else.

• Love 2

Jake sounding like Goldmember, lol. 

I love J.K. Simmons and he was awesome here. Loved his young boss bitching him out over the phone, that fight was hilarious.  Scully's face was just perfection. If I had any talent, I would so paint that.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:15 AM, Harvey said:

How do you guys feel about Terry  becoming the "Jerry" of Brooklyn 99? It has been consistently going on since the second half of the previous season and it is a noticeable shift in dynamic that wasn't there before.

I would not like it.  While I generally loved Parks and Rec, I found the whole Jerry/Terry/Gerry thing to be very mean spirited and not in-line with the rest of the character's actions and personalities.

• Love 8
On 3/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, peeayebee said:

The interrogation scene with Rosa and Dillman was great.

My favorite part!  The stare-off followed by her detailed recap of the soap opera plot was everything! Between that and the drive by "Title of your sex tape", Rosa FTW this episode for me! And maybe Scully. His eyes sticking out from the head full of glitter was hilarious. And good luck to them getting rid of that glitter. Glitter comes from Satan's craft supplies. You can never fully get rid of it!

And just a question: Why is Amy always there? Doesn't she have a job elsewhere to do anymore? It makes no sense to me that she would still be on their floor and in their office constantly during working hours.

• Love 1

I'm always game for anything with JK Simmons in it, and this episode was certainly no different. He was great as Dillman. I really enjoyed seeing him as the greatest detective that Holt had known. 

What I also liked about it is how it inspired Jake to utilize his own skills as a detective to try to solve the case...but it ended up being Charles solving the case. I love when they allow Charles to showcase his talents as a detective. Sometimes, the show underutilizes Charles in this way, so when Charles can solve cases on his own, it's always great to see. We know that he's always been a great detective but sometimes, he gets overshadowed with other plots so that others shine. He's a great partner, but he's also a great detective. So getting to see him solve the case makes for a fun episode.

Plus, yeah, the gag of Scully with the red glitter on his face was fantastic.

Honestly, the quick witted banter throughout the entire episode was top notch. Kudos to Kyra Sedgwick with her directing in this episode, as she was able to capture the fast paced dialogue with the directing. Plus, the fact that this comes right after the episode where her character dies? It's great to see that she's still part of the show.

• Love 7

I love a good Boyle/Peralta friendship episode, especially when Charles ends as the hero, which was very deserved. I LOVED hearing Rosa speak about the soap opera. It was both out of character for her to watch it but also perfectly in character for her to speak about it in the way she did. I hope we get some Amy pregnancy updates in the next episode, I can't wait! 

• Love 2
On 4/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Ilovepie said:

And just a question: Why is Amy always there? Doesn't she have a job elsewhere to do anymore? It makes no sense to me that she would still be on their floor and in their office constantly during working hours.

Amy and her uniformed officers moved to the same floor last season.  It was part of a punishment against Holt.  I'm not sure if they ever moved back to their previous floor.

• Useful 1

With all the H:LOTS crossover talk, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that JK Simmons appeared on that series in S4's For God and Country.  It was the first thing I'd ever seen him in, and he made quite an impression.  He and Andre Braugher had some intense scenes together.  I can't find a clip, but here's an image.

• Useful 1