Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: New York, New York, New York

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Rebecca looks so beautiful in that purple sequin dress & she is so happy, she is glowing.  Mandy Moore is doing such a phenomenal job as older Rebecca.  

I LOVED the red carpet scenes and the Simon and Garfunkel music. ; ) She glowed with Kevin.

Having 3 NYC scenes is a bit much but nice to see them young.  I didn't like the Kate scene...just waiting for Marc.  (yuck) Hope it's not tonight.

That was sad when Kirby (?) made fun of the horse and buggy but I can see why a year later, it stung. I would have wanted to leave soon but it showed Rebecca had a little room to be friendly with another man.

Wish Randall had therapy years ago for anxiety and his guilt. So much to process at that age. They all could have benefited.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 17

Well then.  We're reaching the breaking point with Kevin and Randall.  While Kevin did dish out a low blow about that he's the one that is able to pay for Rebecca's care, Randall was once again being Randall in thinking he knows what is best and then try to broach the subject at Kevin's premiere. He may have been right, but Rebecca feels she's going to lose 9 months in treatment instead of living and making up for lost time.  Flash forward a few months later on their 40th and I see why Randall would be that resentful. 

Next week, Randall has his Sliding Doors episode. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, milner said:

Randall made a plan to send his moms way for 9 months and never consulted her husband!!

I think they've made it pretty clear that Miguel doesn't count in their book.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, milner said:

Randall made a plan to send his moms way for 9 months and never consulted her husband!!

Because the kids and writers treat Miguel like a potted plant with no feelings. He works and lives with Rebecca, sleeps with Rebecca, shares his life with her but he is invisible to the Pearsons.

• Love 17

Randall......I understand his guilt over Jack and his concern for his Mom, but lashing out at Kevin isn’t the way. And there’s NOTHING he could’ve done to save Jack. Twenty years later he’s still holding onto that? Hot damn. 

Teenaged Kate should’ve made Kevin’s acting showcase. I know she was upset about Mark, but it had been a month and that’s her brother. 

7 minutes ago, milner said:

Well he wasn’t “sending her away”. It was presented as an option. If she had wanted to do it she should’ve been the one to discuss it with Miguel. That’s HER husband after all. That part didn’t bother me at all. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, milner said:

Ugh, that and he's so convinced he alone would have stopped Jack from going back into the fire and letting poor Louie burn. GET OVER YOURSELF, RANDALL.

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Teenaged Kate should’ve made Kevin’s acting showcase. I know she was upset about Mark, but it had been a month and that’s her brother. 

I was expecting "Molly" to be Marc. Though I guess those flashbacks could be in another episode.

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was expecting "Molly" to be Marc. Though I guess those flashbacks could be in another episode.

I think so too. Fogleman  didn’t want it to wreck the feelings of this episode 

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am chuckling at a reference to "Passions" 🙂 Kevin says he dated Susan Lucci's daughter(and her daughter, Liza Huber was on "Passions" just like Justin Hartley)

Hah! I thought I would be the only one who remembered that show. I loved Passions.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Is it my imagination or was that Milo Ventimiligia playing the role of Kirby, the acting teacher?

Actually, it was Dave Annable playing Kirby. 

Wow, they really pounded in the Randall vs Kevin feud in all timelines, didn't they? Not only that, but they made Randall as obnoxious, smug, and pretentious as he could be. I didn't like it at all. I think they could have toned it down because, as much as Randall can show all of these qualities, I felt like it was a bit too much. 

I see why Kevin and Randall aren't speaking. Treatment differences for their mother would certainly cause such a rift. I'm glad that they're going to follow through and that it won't be pretty to watch. 

Huh. Kate was only in the beginning and she ended up being the voice of reason. I love it.

Molly is 100% Marc. I called it the moment Teen Kate said that she was going to be hanging with Molly. 

Kevin was absolutely right about how to handle Rebecca's diagnosis. Randall needs to stuff it. He's spiraling hardcore but being an ass about it. 

I don't think Teen Kevin was necessarily right in setting up his mother with Kirby without consulting her, but I appreciate the sentiment and the idea of wanting her to be happy was correct.

I laughed at Jack's multiple attempts to be the macho man, only to have Rebecca right every time. Poor woman just wanted to see the Met but it was Jack who inadvertently prevented that by not listening to the more experienced New York tourist.

Ooo, we're getting a What If episode? Sweet!

• Love 16
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

It was Dave Annable.  If you ever saw the show Brothers and Sisters (it was on ABC), he was one of the siblings. I think that was his last most prominent role. 

Thank you for the info....I knew that he looked familiar & I do remember him from "Brothers&Sisters"(It was bugging me thru the whole show & I kept thinking the eyes looked like Milo's)

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Actually, it was Dave Annable playing Kirby. 

Wow, they really pounded in the Randall vs Kevin feud in all timelines, didn't they? Not only that, but they made Randall as obnoxious, smug, and pretentious as he could be. I didn't like it at all. I think they could have toned it down because, as much as Randall can show all of these qualities, I felt like it was a bit too much. 

I see why Kevin and Randall aren't speaking. Treatment differences for their mother would certainly cause such a rift. I'm glad that they're going to follow through and that it won't be pretty to watch. 

Huh. Kate was only in the beginning and she ended up being the voice of reason. I love it.

Molly is 100% Marc. I called it the moment Teen Kate said that she was going to be hanging with Molly. 

Kevin was absolutely right about how to handle Rebecca's diagnosis. Randall needs to stuff it. He's spiraling hardcore but being an ass about it. 

I don't think Teen Kevin was necessarily right in setting up his mother with Kirby without consulting her, but I appreciate the sentiment and the idea of wanting her to be happy was correct.

I laughed at Jack's multiple attempts to be the macho man, only to have Rebecca right every time. Poor woman just wanted to see the Met but it was Jack who inadvertently prevented that by not listening to the more experienced New York tourist.

Ooo, we're getting a What If episode? Sweet!

Thanks for the info about David Anable...I knew he looked familiar!  And yes, Jack & Randall both have "macho" attitudes where they discount Rebecca's feelings...I like that we see that Kevin was willing to let his Mom enjoy life.

Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

The painting in the episode is John Singer Sargent's Portrait of Madame X.  A late Victorian painting which was scandalous when it first premiered because of all the exposed flesh and the straps appear to be falling off.  The name of the lady was not mentioned even if all of parisian society could figure out who it was.  I can see a woman in the repressive 1950s staring at that painting for hours wondering if she has the gumption to do something similar.  And then we get 1999 Rebecca starting to flirt with another man, staring to think about her life without Jack.  A+ use of symbolism writers.

On another note, STFU Randall.  

Thanks for the info about the painting...it definitely fit in with the theme of the episode

• Love 6

I was waiting for the day where they try to make Randall the bad guy, Yes he has his issues that he needs to work on like his anxiety and need for control but he genuinely has good intentions and if he thinks something is broken he wants to fix. Kevin gets to be fun son but Randall is the one Rebecca always leaned on. He's the one who had to carry the guilt about Jack's death where as Kevin hasn't even thought about it.

They just can't let a brotha be loved lol.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 23

I liked the multiple timelines for the contrast in how Randall and Kevin have changed over time: young Randall was so cute, but even as a middle-schooler he was acting superior, and he's been insufferable lately, while young Kevin could be a jerk who unironically loved bad movies, and he's turned out to be very kind and to have better taste in things than he used to.

• Love 23

I find it weird to set your mom up on a date, with your professor, one year after your dad’s death. Just saying. Yet, Kevin is the one who had the biggest issue with Miguel.

Dave Annabel and Mandy worked together as a romantic pairing on some medical show, with Octavia Spencer. Name escapes me.

There was one shot where Kid Kate looked so much like Teen Kate. 

The guilt Randall holds clearly explains why Teen Randall behaves the way he did. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I find it weird to set your mom up on a date, with your professor, one year after your dad’s death. Just saying. Yet, Kevin is the one who had the biggest issue with Miguel.

Dave Annabel and Mandy worked together as a romantic pairing on some medical show, with Octavia Spencer. Name escapes me.

There was one shot where Kid Kate looked so much like Teen Kate. 

Red Band Society

I am having a hard time with the Alzheimer’s story and the conflict between siblings.  Mainly because I have been there with my none involved brother deciding he knows best when he was not there and had no background on what was going on, would not listen to my mother and Me about what was going on with dad and thought he knew best. But saying that, I am firmly on Kevin’s side.  He was right. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Next week, Randall has his Sliding Doors episode. 

That technique is not for everyone, but I happen to love it. I love to see an alternate reality. Demi Moore did a film called "Passion of Mind" where she lives in two different worlds. I like that. It is not manipulative but just allows the audience to imagine different possibilities. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Yeah I thought that was a little weird. And I fully believe that Kevin only called his Mom when he needed something and Randall had a better grasp on her emotions at that time. But the decision to date wouldve been up to Rebecca (I’m not insinuating that Kevin was trying to force her into anything). 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I don't think I've ever had a scene resonate quite as much as Rebecca's "next time" speech. 

It was particularly powerful for me right now with the coronavirus lurking and my age and underlying health problems.

I actually still like Randall. I get why he's like he is. I think they're doing a good job of not making it black and white.

I thought this was a really good episode. They tied it all in well and we got a little more insight into what Rebecca and Jack were like together. 

• Love 19

Madame X? More like An Onion Peeling. Because it triggered the memory of a little girl who wanted to be a sophisticated lady 😪 and the missed-it-by-that-much flood of memories that went with choices made. Got me, Show. 

Poor Randall. His guilt over not saving his father isn’t rational, but that’s why he doesn’t see it that way. There’s no objectivity at all, which is why he’s been an overcompensating, controlling, anxiety-ridden mess. Although the anxiety was baked in before that, I guess. Patricia Alcon better be a really good therapist.

Also, Team Kevin.

• Love 13