Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: New York, New York, New York

• Start Topic

I think the imbalance of this episode could be attributed to Randall’s actual proposition. Alzheimer’s is generally viewed as an illness with no cure. I could be totally wrong about that but I think that is what the general population believes. 

Had Rebecca been diagnosed with cancer and Randall was pushing chemo on her in his Randall way, at least we as an audience could understand where Randall was coming from. An experimental treatment is not going to get the same benefit of the doubt. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I think the imbalance of this episode could be attributed to Randall’s actual proposition. Alzheimer’s is generally viewed as an illness with no cure. I could be totally wrong about that but I think that is what the general population believes. 

Had Rebecca been diagnosed with cancer and Randall was pushing chemo on her in his Randall way, at least we as an audience could understand where Randall was coming from. An experimental treatment is not going to get the same benefit of the doubt. 

There's no cure for Alzhmeiers - there are ways to potentially slow the onset of it, but it depends on a bunch of factors - look at the form of Alzheimer's Terry Pratchett had, they were able to delay things a while, then he died. I believe something Pratchett also said was that the funding of Alzheimers research was something like 3% that of cancer research?

• Love 1

I took care of my father during his dementia....not my 2 siblings.

I would have been furious if one suggested sending him states away for 9 months!

WTH?

Plus I am really annoyed the kids do not acknowledge Michael after years and years of living and sleeping and taking care of her. He is her husband after all.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 2:42 AM, bros402 said:

I'm in NJ and yeaaaaah, wouldn't they take the GWB to get into Manhattan?

And yeah, that pizza was just.....did they even try to get something like NYC-area pizza?

From pittsburgh? No. Also in Nj and went to school at Pitt. No bridge at all. Lincoln tunnel.

i hand waved and decided they were already in the city driving around. 

the met and the natural history museum are  nowhere Near one another.

new York it’s a hell of a town

the Bronx is up and the battery’s down...

(in On the Town one of the first jokes is the sailors wanting to go to the Bronx zoo and then the Statue of Liberty...)

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

The Met and the Natural History Museum are three blocks away from each other, literally just across Central Park from each other.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lucindabelle said:

From pittsburgh? No. Also in Nj and went to school at Pitt. No bridge at all. Lincoln tunnel.

new York it’s a hell of a town

the Bronx is up and the battery’s down...

(in On the Town one of the first jokes is the sailors wanting to go to the Bronx zoo and then the Statue of Liberty...)

Ahhh - okay. The Tunnel makes sense. My brain was forgetting about the Tunnel even though I take it into Manhattan every 2 months 😛

• Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 6:40 AM, JudyObscure said:

Only Jack is to blame for his own understandable, but far too risky, decision. Even Kate, who should have been shushed immediately for asking her father to go in for her dog, shouldn't blame herself, she was a kid who didn't realize how dangerous it was.  Jack, as the adult, should have made the responsible decision to stay out of the house.  If calling the dog didn't work then that was it.

FYI- Kate NEVER asked her dad to go back in for the dog. In all the play backs of that day all she did was scream “(dogs name) come out, please come out!!!” 

JACK went back in to get the dog AND the tapes and Rebecca’s necklace (among some other things). He had the dog and a pillow case full of items in his hand. Had he just grabbed the dog he might have made it, we will will never know. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

So according to Randall and all his research, there is NOTHING that's a happy medium between living in a hospital across the country for 9 months and taking no action? I have a serious medical condition myself, and I know that a lot of studies nowadays largely rely on Skype, email, etc. so that the patient's life is disrupted as little as possible. I'm also thinking it would be insanely expensive, having the patients housed in a hospital, fed, etc. for that long a period of time.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2020 at 1:46 AM, NUguy514 said:

The Met and the Natural History Museum are three blocks away from each other, literally just across Central Park from each other.

Obviously you don’t get in to the city much. “Just across the park” is a long walk or taxi ride.”

• Love 1
15 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Obviously you don’t get in to the city much. “Just across the park” is a long walk or taxi ride.”

I've walked between them before, and it's not even a 20-minute walk.  That's "obviously" not a long walk.  Thanks, though.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I've walked between them before, and it's not even a 20-minute walk.  That's "obviously" not a long walk.  Thanks, though.

It’s a long walk with children. Seriously. It’s not a common trajectory at all.

and literally no New Yorker would say buildings across town are blocks away. Seriously you would never describe things that way.

Going across town can take half an hour if you’re lucky. 

thanks.

Edited by lucindabelle
On 3/17/2020 at 9:06 PM, SnarkySheep said:

So according to Randall and all his research, there is NOTHING that's a happy medium between living in a hospital across the country for 9 months and taking no action? I have a serious medical condition myself, and I know that a lot of studies nowadays largely rely on Skype, email, etc. so that the patient's life is disrupted as little as possible. I'm also thinking it would be insanely expensive, having the patients housed in a hospital, fed, etc. for that long a period of time.

Testing a new drug, if that's what the trial is for, involves blood draws and EKGs to make sure it is safe, and after that, effective, so can't be accomplished remotely.  All of the expense is covered by the drug company, making bringing new drugs to market so expensive. 

Randall’s pain and guilt are real, but it’s not fair for him to inflict it on everyone around him by trying to control everything and everyone.  He had all the means to get into therapy and possibly medication years ago, but chose not to.  Instead, he’s been holding on to all this control and anxiety.  It’s sad, but again, he shouldn’t be taking it out on others.

If anything, Kevin was the neglected son.  Randall was a mama’s boy and Katie girl was all dad, but everyone just thought Kevin was living a charmed life and he would be fine. Even a couple episodes ago when Rebecca said she needed him because he’s the fun one, I was kind of offended by that.  He is more than that.  

I also thought Kevin was 100% in the right to mention he was the one paying for everything so he should also have a say. It was harsh, but Randall won’t listen to anyone but himself so I really can’t feel bad.

I had no idea Mandy was this good of an actress.  I absolutely love her in every era.  The scene at the painting was so beautiful and poignant.

• Love 7
On 3/17/2020 at 12:54 AM, lucindabelle said:

Acting like viewers don’t understand basic geography is probably my biggest (only?) bone to pick with this show.  Everyone travels across the country like it’s not a full day of travel, Pittsburgh to Alpine to Philly like those places are not hours and hours away from each other, etc.  All those activities in one day in NYC??  Nope.  Plus, if they were going upstate, NYC is NOT on the way from Pittsburgh.  Ugh.  Anyway.  

• Love 3
On 5/12/2020 at 1:47 PM, mostlylurking said:

Acting like viewers don’t understand basic geography is probably my biggest (only?) bone to pick with this show.  Everyone travels across the country like it’s not a full day of travel, Pittsburgh to Alpine to Philly like those places are not hours and hours away from each other, etc.  All those activities in one day in NYC??  Nope.  Plus, if they were going upstate, NYC is NOT on the way from Pittsburgh.  Ugh.  Anyway.  

NOBODY outside the burgh seems to understand it’s not like an hour behind Philadelphia. Nobody. I did my grad work there, I’m from NJ, I had no idea it was 400 miles away and closer to Ohio than Philadelphia. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, lucindabelle said:
On 5/12/2020 at 1:47 PM, mostlylurking said:

NOBODY outside the burgh seems to understand it’s not like an hour behind Philadelphia. Nobody. I did my grad work there, I’m from NJ, I had no idea it was 400 miles away and closer to Ohio than Philadelphia. 

I’m from New Jersey!  I know how far Pittsburgh is. Pennsylvania is a WIDE state, lol. I travel to Illinois to visit my husbands family each year.  We road trip. Nearly half our trip is getting through PA.

• Love 2

The scene in front of the painting was probably the best writing I have seen on this show.   The contrast between the timelessness of art and the flicker that is mortality was heart-breaking.  The final scene between Kevin and Randall was pretty great too.