Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03 Bethany's Story

• Start Topic

I found Sheldon's poetry on Facebook.   This one instantly connected with the image of him sitting in Dr. Now's office!

Feeling all my years
They say time waits for no man
I’m too old for this

Poor Sheldon.

Today
I sat
And watched a beetle
On its back
For a good
Ten minutes

Twisting
Turning
Kicking
Fighting
As the ants
Tried to carry it away

It reminded me
Of myself
Struggling desperately
To get on my feet
Away from here
Trapped

And I thought
For a moment
Of helping it out
Lending a hand
Flipping it over
Or ending its misery
Under my boot

But I just got up
And walked away
Turning a blind eye
To its suffering

I’ve got problems of my own

Because isn’t that
How the world works
Today

• Love 7

I despise Bethany, and all the other poundticipants, who allow their children to become obese children.  They owe it to their offspring to get them to age 18 as healthy, happy, human beings; NOT set up for a life-long weight problem/issues.  And on top of that, they become the pounders personal, unpaid, assistants.  It's a form of child abuse, IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
42 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I found Sheldon's poetry on Facebook.   This one instantly connected with the image of him sitting in Dr. Now's office!

Poor Sheldon.

That is one excellent poem and how I thought he felt about it all.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

That is one excellent poem and how I thought he felt about it all.

I prefer a different style of poetry but it does show him as a thoughtful man, and not the husk of a human he seemed to be on the show.   With Bethany hovering over him, he probably does feel like a helpless beetle...

We were trying to guess his age... I think I saw somewhere that he was born in 1971.  That would make him 49.  He looks terrible for his age!

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My question is why for a two day trip to Houston Bethany took enough clothes for a month?   

She probably thought she’d be staying in Houston and getting her magic surgery the next day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, the-grey-lady said:

Every time I saw Bethany and Sheldon next to one another, I recited that old nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat.

I remembered an anecdote about a very large Queen of Tonga, a riding in the Coronation procession in a coach with a very small man
When someone asked who he was, Noel Coward quipped, "her lunch."

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I just read (on Reddit) that the older daughter is engaged and has lost 50 pounds. I can’t confirm the veracity of this, but (assuming it’s true) I’m happy for her to be getting healthier physically and mentally by moving away from her mother, the succubus. However, it also leaves the burden of her caretaking upon the younger daughter. 

Or, heck, maybe the daughter’s fiancé will just move right on into their sad little house. What’s another recliner to add to their collection!? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
On 1/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, calpurnia99 said:

I think Dr. Now approved her too soon. She lost 28 pounds in one munt. And he approved her. We KNOW that if a 600 pound person follows the diet verbatim, they will lose more than that. If she was not cheating she would have lost 35-45 pounds. He approved her and said she needed to lose for a weigh in before her surgery and I think she lost another 28 pounds. I'm sorry anyone can be good for 2 months with a TV crew following them and this opportunity. He should have given her a bigger goal and for longer considering in 4 months on his plan she lost a total of 8 pounds.

Dr. Now did see the older girl at one of the later appts.

I thought the husband was one of those people who has a high metabolism, remember he said he can't sit still when waiting for her surgery to be over? He probably eats 1 1/2 slices of the pizza one brownie, one mcdonalds burger and that's all he eats all day but Bethany and the daughters always say "Oh he eats like a pig and just doesn't gain he is so lucky!" No he doesn't he does join in but he stops after a normal serving. 

Kind of surprised that nobody brought this up in the live chat, but when she said she was an addictions counselor, and I saw her husband, I thought maybe she had violated therapist/client boundaries with Sheldon being one of her crack or meth using patients. His teeth certainly had the appearance of a chronic drug abuser, in addition to his emaciated body. Looked to me like he's on the Slim Crack diet. Now that I've learned that she defrauded Medicaid patients, I have no doubt she violated counseling/client boundaries and took up with one of her clients.

Edited by Julyolo
  • Useful 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I know this is a petty complaint and one she cannot help, but her nasal, whiny monotone nearly drove me up a wall. 

Well, that and her inability to take responsibility for anything in her life. 

Also, when she was on her second go-round to lose 60 lbs, when she claimed to be doing everything possible to follow the plan, she couldn’t help but send Zowie (kerpow! thwack!) into the kitchen to fetch her a bottle of water. Old habits die hard. “I’m walking 10 minutes 3 times a day!” 

• LOL 10
  • Love 6

The TIVO recorded both episodes and opted to watch the Supersized one.  

She's not unlike Penny and not unlike Pauline, but Pauline was ultimately successful (don't know about "Dylly").  Hope he has his own life ... finally.

Bethany dreamed of winning the lottery and maybe she thought she did getting on the show.  Now she's a "star" so can parlay that into something.  The dream house and the dream car and get this -- charity!  Her favorite charity would be Bethany.  

Feel so bad for her daughters.  No sympathy for Sheldon at all.  Sad man and his poetry shows that, but he doesn't want to make any change either.  

Manipulative biotch.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Julyolo said:

Kind of surprised that nobody brought this up in the live chat, but when she said she was an addictions counselor, and I saw her husband, I thought maybe she had violated therapist/client boundaries with Sheldon being one of her crack or meth using patients. His teeth certainly had the appearance of a chronic drug abuser, in addition to his emaciated body. Looked to me like he's on the Slim Crack diet. Now that I've learned that she defrauded Medicaid patients, and I have no doubt she violated counseling/client boundaries and took up with one of her clients.

Probably nobody brought it up because they explained that she was working at a pizza place when they met. Although I agree he looks like a meth head.

• Love 5
On 1/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, Hellga said:

It reminded me
Of myself
Struggling desperately
To get on my feet
Away from here
Trapped

I feel like this is the kind of stuff a high school emo-kid writes. But I guess poetry is his way of expressing himself and getting his feelings out. He must feel so isolated in his family, I know a television show doesn't show you everything, but he seemed hardly connected, in any way, to them, he's hardly around and when he is, he's like alone and quiet, maybe he has social awkwardness or something and doesn't know how to talk to people.  

Edited by Ben.w
  • Love 5

It really pissed me off how Bethany just blatantly lies to Dr. Now during each visit, not just the "I'm doing everything I'm suppose too" thing, but didn't she tell him Sheldon didn't bring her bad food (we saw him being her burgers)

I know you meant "we saw him bringing her burgers" but I don't think she'd be above chowing down on poor Sheldon if she were hungry enough. 

• LOL 4

I know this is a petty complaint and one she cannot help, but her nasal, whiny monotone nearly drove me up a wall. 

You are so right! That voice and her bullshit sent me over the edge, this episode made me mad. Those poor girls! Then she acted like there was something wrong with the program and gave up. Hated her 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Did anyone watch the supersize episode? Were there bonus scenes other than her being discharged from the hospital? And we all know she was cheating like crazy, why didn't we see any of that? Vile woman. 

I watched it first then watched the original when it was repeated just for that reason.  No, not really.  I found out what her favorite color is _rolleyes_.  Mostly it only runs a little factoid like that so we have to watch the screen.  

I didn't see anything new of any interest.  

I"m gonna change the TIVO settings so it doesn't record.  

• Love 2

I actually feel sorry for Sheldon.  He signed up for till death do we part, and I guess he's trapped fetching food for her till then.  And there won't be a magic surgical cure.  Assuming the older daughter moves out (hopefully) then the younger one will be her future fetcher and homemaker.   And Sheldon will eventually be dealing with a woman who will inevitably be wheelchair or bedbound.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

Carrying the water bottle back and forth as she does her pavement pounding under the carport does it for me.  My God is she walking on the face of the sun?

When I see walkers carrying water bottles, I wonder why they think they are going to be dehydrated after a casual 20 minute stroll around the block.  Or even an hour trek on a trail.  Have it waiting at home or in your car.

Somehow, while growing up, we played outside for hours, without a sip of liquid.  What a strange world we live in with all the water bottles and coffee obsessions. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Somehow, while growing up, we played outside for hours, without a sip of liquid.  What a strange world we live in with all the water bottles and coffee obsessions. 

We drank out of the hose. 

Sheldon will never be poet laureate, but at least he is in touch with his own feelings. 

I am glad the older girl has lost weight;  I was really hoping that she would adopt Dr Now's diet for herself and the younger girl. 

• Love 7
On 1/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, calpurnia99 said:

I used to be able to binge but once I turned 50 I could not overeat without massive physical stomach pain. I get gas from sugar, which turn into hemorrhoids (TMI I Know) bloating, acid indigestion etc. Ice cream gives me the runs and burping for 3 days. I ate 4 of those kitchen sink cookies the other day and I was sick for 24 hours.   I remember my father went to one of those resorts in the "Jewish Alps" when I was a kid, and when he told me about the All You Can Eat buffets and that they put out another buffet at midnight and described all the food, it was my life's goal to go there and do that. But I physically can't and I find it hard to believe these people don't have trouble processing this much food. I guess it is possible, then again they continue even when they have bleeding bed sores. In any case the BM's have to be ginormous! That has to but some strain on the area. Perhaps their stomachs are so stretched out that they don't feel any pain. She ate like an entire pizza, and entire box of garlic rolls, and an entire box of brownies, after eating all day long before it got there! 

I kept looking at those girls and it just makes me sad. To be 18 years old and be that weight cannot be easy. Especially going off to prom and all the thin skinny girls at school. But all they are given is junk food. And why do they all eat from the living room chairs? 

I honestly think it’s because their bulk would prevent them from sitting close enough to a dining table.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, KateHearts said:

So here's what stood out most to me this episode:

"I have to get the help I need from Dr. Now or I have no chance..."

"I know if I don't lose this weight I won't be here for my family..."

"This is my last chance to get the life I want..."

"but first, I have to get something to eat."

Also- why do these really big people all live in teeny tiny houses?

The unfortunate spelling of "ZOWIE" just looks like something you'd see inside a comic bubble when Batman punches someone.

I believe your script summarizes the majority of these episodes. 

blame David Bowie (whom I love)  for “Zowie” - it’s what he originally named his kid, who has since changed it to something normal. 

as usual, I’m more intrigued by the satellite people than by the patients. WHY doesn’t this dad take and kids and go? I am endlessly fascinated by the enablers, especially the ones who are badly mistreated. It’s so sad. 

• Love 2
On 1/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, kicotan said:

What is up with the patch/bandaid on her arm?

Why doesn’t she eat the same diet as Sheldon...it seems to be working for him.

Sheldon's diet is called Eating Bethany's Leftovers. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

This is “reality” TV and as far there was no jail time,  the producers are going to use her for the show.

I am positive there were several candidates rejected just because they committed the worst of sins for entertainment: being boring.

i am tired of the therapy sessions, I can’t believe most of the contestants any more when they claimed they eat because something happened in their past... we just watched you telling lies to Dr. Now five minutes ago.  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Drogo said:

Sheldon's diet is called Eating Bethany's Leftovers. 

He must be cheating at work, or he would have starved to death already!  There is no such thing as leftovers as far as that woman is concerned... she sees food, she eats it in its entirety!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 1/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, ShortyMac said:

Bethany has her own blog. 

http://bariatricmama.com/my-own-journey/

Sheldon had custody of his other two kids, before her. She quit her job with an office and opened her own practice. She lost her counseling license, took a plea deal to charges. She's committed medicaid fraud and identity theft.

http://www.okdrugcounselors.org/download.php/269/Agenda 072015.pdf

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=258&article_id=15745

Y'all are some sleuths now!  Awesome information!  I can always count on my buddies over here to give the REAL lowdown. 

Thanks a ton(pun intended)!

• LOL 3

I DVR the Supersized episodes, and the Bethany one also.     It was her going to Houston, via every drive thru window between where ever she lives in Oklahoma, and Houston.     I think it's only an 8 hour drive, or about that.    It took multiple days to get to Houston, and she said that she had to fuel her trip with a constant diet of junk food.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
On 1/18/2020 at 5:25 AM, Ben.w said:

I don't know if it was my imagination, but everytime I looked in her eyes, when Dr. Now was talking to her, I could see her dismissing it immediately and I knew she was going to go back and keep doing what she wanted. Did anybody else see it?

Sure did.  She had dead shark eyes.  I even pointed it out to Mr Raider.

• Love 4
On 1/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Her first loss of 14 lbs was pathetic, at her starting weight, that's skipping food on the way to Houston for a couple of days,

I actually thought it was just a "healthy" BM for that lazy beast.

• LOL 5
On 1/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, Twopper said:

We drank out of the hose. 

Yeah and 8 hours of sled riding with no snacks or water- we ate snow!

But Im one of those who takes water everywhere even on a short  walk because I have a dry mouth condition- Sjrogens Syndrome so don't judge me! My Itailan friend thinks I'm nuts but he got bottled water for me to take in the car when I went to see him.

Regarding the SuperSIzed: It's Bethany's dream to backpack Europe. LMAO honey that ship has sailed, and if you ever got on that ship, you'd sink it. Never mind there would be no room for you on a European train.

Edited by calpurnia99
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, calpurnia99 said:

I found her facebook page and she lists herself as a Blogger/Influencer at Parenting in Progress. There is her page as well to Parenting in Progress, which is her own business. I can't tell from the page what on earth it does or she does. Looks like givaways and links to articles on various fluff. She sells a "Media Kit". 

I think she is trying to get freebies by featuring certain products, you know AN INFLUENCER!

I truly loathe the term "influencer" and it's because of people like her. Where the Hell did this tidal wave of self proclaimed internet experts on everything come from?

• Love 4
On 1/18/2020 at 1:03 AM, AVM said:

Unfortunately bad  habits are learned and so-called fat acceptance is now the norm ..until it gets out of control ...

Oh no, you just used a Twitney-ism! Of course you know she invented that term AND the entire movement. 

Now as for whether or not her weight is out of control, she would say "Of course not, I'm FABULOUS!!!"

• LOL 3

Thanks everyone for all the great synopses on this beast of a woman's episode. I even scanned Bethany's Live Chat and you all were on fire as usual. I missed the first three episodes of this season's M600PL. Amazing that she could be online giving out any advice on how to parent when in reality she isn't much of one. I read a couple of follow up stories on her as well where she blames the producers for making her look bad; absolutely no accountability whatsoever.

I also got to see what this she beast and her poor hubby looked like; Jack Sprat indeed. Fortunately, no close ups of his teeth.

• Love 1
On 1/31/2020 at 3:32 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

I truly loathe the term "influencer" and it's because of people like her. Where the Hell did this tidal wave of self proclaimed internet experts on everything come from?

What a shame  that I can't  "love" your post a gazillion times. 

• Love 6

Man. I am so tired of hearing people say "mill" instead of "meal." I actually wondered for a second if a flour mill were involved at one point because it caught me off guard. Bethany cannot seem to pronounce "meal" to save her sorry life.

• Love 1

Oh, and I forgot to mention that her squash medley looked so sad. Vegetables can be amazing if you know what to do with them. She could have used olive oil, butter, or coconut oil to add some delicious fat to them and then seasoned them with salt and pepper. The way she cooked them, they looked dry, shriveled, and tasteless. A lack of cooking knowledge on the part of the poundticipants must needs contribute to the unwillingness to keep eating freshly cooked, non-fast-food "mills."

• Love 1

I noticed a continuity error. The cookie cake/pie thing with icing in a ring around the outside was shown to be purchased during the obligatory shopping trip, yet it was sitting on the counter during Sheldon's lunch break, supposedly a time prior to the shopping trip. The show would never splice together disparate shots as one continuous shot! /s

• LOL 1