Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03 Bethany's Story

• Start Topic

Bethany has two daughters who live in fear of losing their mom to food addiction.  Once an addiction counselor, Bethany has gotten so big she can no longer work.  Now she risks losing her life if Dr. Now can't help her curb her own addiction.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the US East Coast showing. 

Original air date 2020.01.15

Bethany has her own blog. 

http://bariatricmama.com/my-own-journey/

Sheldon had custody of his other two kids, before her. She quit her job with an office and opened her own practice. She lost her counseling license, took a plea deal to charges. She's committed medicaid fraud and identity theft.

http://www.okdrugcounselors.org/download.php/269/Agenda 072015.pdf

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=258&article_id=15745

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Bethany has her own blog. 

http://bariatricmama.com/my-own-journey/

Sheldon had custody of his other two kids, before her. She quit her job with an office and opened her own practice. She lost her counseling license, took a plea deal to charges. She's committed medicaid fraud and identity theft.

http://www.okdrugcounselors.org/download.php/269/Agenda 072015.pdf

I ain't got time to read her blog. She's currently on probation, got a ten year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to felonies: https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=258&article_id=15745 Oh, and she owes $100K in restitution.

As noted above by @ShortyMac, she also lost her counseling license.

I kept wondering during the episode how her legal/financial situation affects her mental and emotional state. Seems to me that would be a big thing, but the show totally ignores it and talks about a long ago suicide attempt by her mother.

• Useful 11
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, kicotan said:

What is up with the patch/bandaid on her arm?

Why doesn’t she eat the same diet as Sheldon...it seems to be working for him.

I speculated in LC, that one of the sores we saw all over her body had progressed into a wound.  It might have been a steroid patch, which aids wound healing, something we have experience with.  It was gone at the end. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

I speculated in LC, that one of the sores we saw all over her body had progressed into a wound.  It might have been a steroid patch, which aids wound healing, something we have experience with.  It was gone at the end. 

I think you're right; it looked like there were some red splotches left behind, either scars or just still healing. (There were also a couple small sores near the bandage early in the episode.)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I kept wondering during the episode how her legal/financial situation affects her mental and emotional state. Seems to me that would be a big thing, but the show totally ignores it and talks about a long ago suicide attempt by her mother.

I bet she goes between totally ignoring the license issue, and unpaid restitution, and thinking they were just picking on her, and she didn't do anything wrong.   She's a professional level denier, and always will be.     I hope her daughter goes away to school, but I bet Bethany will find a way to guilt her into staying until her younger sister is old enough to be mommy's permanent servant. 

• Love 15

I did take a look at her blog... it says she lost 150 pounds on Nutrisystem a few years back.  So this is her third time (at least) that she has lost some, only to regain it and then some.  And she still insists she has no issues driving her to eat, yeah right... 'counselor'

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I noticed when Isabella came in after school, Zowie went over to her, almost as if she was her mother.
I wonder if that's how it really works.
I was watching and reading the live thread, but it got ahead of me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I ain't got time to read her blog. She's currently on probation, got a ten year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to felonies: https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=258&article_id=15745 Oh, and she owes $100K in restitution.

As noted above by @ShortyMac, she also lost her counseling license.

M600LL probably worried if they exposed all of this, viewers would hate her.  What they didn't realize was we didn't need to know any of this to despise her.  The whining, treatment of her children, denial and lack of responsibility for anything in her life made her extremely unlikeable.  The con and theft are just extra, rotten mayo on the shit sandwich that is Bethany.

According to her blog:

I have recently joined the “loser’s bench” and had the gastric sleeve performed in November 2019. 

Um, it's now January 2020.  In the show's timeline, it ended more than two months post surgery and the shows aren't edited at the last minute.  Does she assume no one can do the math on this?

• Useful 8
  • Love 16

Her downfall was cancelling her Lola appt. We've seen a lot of them whine about therapy before they go, but after one visit with Lola they see the light. She has empathy. She says shit like no little girl should have gone thru that. I feel Lola could have helped her. She doesn't jump straight to Go confront Your Mother. LOLA would have got this bitch on board . I didn't think so but we've seen about faces about the good of therapy a few times

I think while this bitch was closed to it, she went to a dud. Also was that the most food we've ever seen consumed in scene 1? How just how? I have acid reflux and simply can't overeat. I'm sure these people must too. I love food, and I do overeat but no where near past 3 diet ice creams. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I think while this bitch was closed to it, she went to a dud. Also was that the most food we've ever seen consumed in scene 1? How just how? I have acid reflux and simply can't overeat. I'm sure these people must too. I love food, and I do overeat but no where near past 3 diet ice creams. 

I know we probably don’t see a lot of the counseling sessions, but what we saw of this woman made Lola look like a genius!  But I think even she would’ve had trouble with Bethany.  As someone mentioned earlier her legal and financial issues could be a big part of her mental issues too.  I wonder how much of it was her having nothing else to do with her time but eat and think about food all day.  

As for the overeating, I am ashamed to say that I could eat all of that food comfortably over the course of a day with no after effects.  I’m well able to spend the day in my recliner eating from mid-morning to evening - don’t mess up my precious morning (black) coffees with food!! - day after day.  It’s how I managed to regain so much in the past months, and why I watch these shows to remind me where I’ll end up if I don’t get back on track.  I want the surgery that keeps my hand from putting food in my mouth, LOL! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Capella University is essentially a diploma mill. A for-profit, online diploma mill.

Northwestern Oklahoma State U. is at least a real college, but with low admissions standard and probably low graduation standards, particularly for a degree in counseling. I'm betting their counseling masters program isn't exactly rigorous.

• Useful 7
  • Love 6

Bethany is perhaps one of the laziest people ever on the show,she like Mila treat her children as her personal servants ,meanwhile claiming how hard she working on losing weight . Meanwhile she lives in her giant recliner ..PS  Walking to the kitchen for junk food is not exercise ...

• Love 17

And I will bet all of her ill-gotten gains were spent on food!  Almost makes me wonder if she arranged for some kind of a lifetime subscription to pizza, where she paid them say $25K up front for X pizzas a week for the rest of her life...   An annuity of sorts.

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 21
  • Love 1

Gosh this episode was depressing. Really don't care anything about  Bethany, but hope her children escape. She show less Insight than anybody except the Assante Brothers I think. World's worst counselor for sure.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 11

This info on Bethany's criminal past seems to have been easily discoverable, so I assume WE was aware. I wonder if they informed Dr. Now? Why would he bother with someone with two previous failed weight loss attempts and serious criminal activity! And he was very easy on her, letting her get surgery when she really hadn't even lost as much as she was told to; I swear he's made other patients go back home over and over until they proved they could lose on their own.

I just find it really objectionable that all of these resources have been WASTED on this selfish, worthless cow.

I'm pretty sure that the older girl will be her feeder slave at least until the younger one is ready for the shackles. By that time, both girls should be at least 500 lbs. themselves.

• Love 10

I disliked Bethany immensely, and got up to go to bed before the show was even over.

I did have to laugh out loud at the "1 minute walk, twice a day." 

Also: "I'm much more active" (shot of kids bringing food to Bethany in her recliner.)

Bethany can pound sand. Hope the kids escape.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
5 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

As for the overeating, I am ashamed to say that I could eat all of that food comfortably over the course of a day with no after effects.  I’m well able to spend the day in my recliner eating from mid-morning to evening - don’t mess up my precious morning (black) coffees with food!! - day after day.  It’s how I managed to regain so much in the past months, and why I watch these shows to remind me where I’ll end up if I don’t get back on track.  I want the surgery that keeps my hand from putting food in my mouth, LOL! 

I used to be able to binge but once I turned 50 I could not overeat without massive physical stomach pain. I get gas from sugar, which turn into hemorrhoids (TMI I Know) bloating, acid indigestion etc. Ice cream gives me the runs and burping for 3 days. I ate 4 of those kitchen sink cookies the other day and I was sick for 24 hours.   I remember my father went to one of those resorts in the "Jewish Alps" when I was a kid, and when he told me about the All You Can Eat buffets and that they put out another buffet at midnight and described all the food, it was my life's goal to go there and do that. But I physically can't and I find it hard to believe these people don't have trouble processing this much food. I guess it is possible, then again they continue even when they have bleeding bed sores. In any case the BM's have to be ginormous! That has to but some strain on the area. Perhaps their stomachs are so stretched out that they don't feel any pain. She ate like an entire pizza, and entire box of garlic rolls, and an entire box of brownies, after eating all day long before it got there! 

I kept looking at those girls and it just makes me sad. To be 18 years old and be that weight cannot be easy. Especially going off to prom and all the thin skinny girls at school. But all they are given is junk food. And why do they all eat from the living room chairs? 

• Love 10

My take on Bethany:

1. Incredibly selfish, unlikable woman. It's all about her. It didn't even occur to her that she could make this life change not only for her, but to be a better example to her daughters - who are definitely following in her footsteps. Which is too bad, they seem like nice girls and the older one was especially pretty I thought.

2. I swear if you drank every time she said "I just need something to eat" you'd have been blackout drunk by the 30-minute mark of this episode.

3. Is Sheldon physically ill? He looked more and more gaunt as the episode went on.

4. There is NO way she's going to be a success story.

5. Ugh. That meal she had with her parents looked awful! What kind of food was that?

6. So far this season, we haven't had many people with dogs. For me, if the episode is a bore I usually at least can focus on their cute pets.

7. She has a criminal record?!?!? Nice.

8. I watched this OnDemand and had a nice chuckle at the Planet Fitness, Noom and Fabletics ads that kept coming on. At least no "My Feet Are Killing Me" promos. Thank god.

Edited by WonTon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Bethany's blog is a tissue of lies (one of my favorite phrases).  I expect her to turn it into a money-making scam at some point. 

9 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I disliked Bethany immensely, and got up to go to bed before the show was even over.

I did have to laugh out loud at the "1 minute walk, twice a day." 

Also: "I'm much more active" (shot of kids bringing food to Bethany in her recliner.)

Bethany can pound sand. Hope the kids escape.

The "I'm much more active"/kids bring her snacks scene was one of my favorite moments.  The editors saw who she is.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Drat, I had a meeting last night that went later than expected so I got home after the live chat was closed.   We were fed at the meeting--salad and shepherd's pie with  a dessert that looked like banana pudding, but had no bananas in it;   I think it had small orange chunks;  there were strawberries and whipped cream on top.   I would have preferred banana pudding to whatever it was.

I had recorded the episode so I was able to FF thru the commercials and watch it before I went to bed.   I started out having some hope for her since she had worked as a counselor (of course,  I had no idea about the Medicaid fraud  which does make me hate her more than just her obnoxious stubbornness. )  Good grief,  this woman is a mess.  She makes me at least as angry as Jeanne did---probably angrier, because at least Jeanne had no children whose lives she could screw up.  Come to think of it,  maybe Bethany and Jeanne could get together and figure out their own weight loss program---would probably include oranges and health bars--and do it their way because Dr Now 's program isn't working for them. 

The poor children.  Isabella has a lovely name, but spelling Zoe as Zowie is pretty dreadful.   Also both look as though they are on a fast track to needing Dr Now in a few years.   Actually, Isabella is probably big enough to qualify already.  Too bad Dr Now never saw her.   I was really hoping for one brief moment that Isabella would decide this was also her chance for weight loss and join her mom on the 1200 calorie plan and tweak it for Zowie and the whole family-- except for Dad-- would lose weight and get healthy together.  That hope was very short-lived.

Speaking of Dad,  he was rather sad  looking.   He definitely could use a decent haircut and dental work for starters.  He also could stand to gain a few pounds.  I would bet he weighs less than Zowie (I want to scream every time I type that spelling).  He was always thin based on the pictures we saw, but I would think he would be pretty stressed out about the family finances with the restitution hanging over them.   I suspect she will figure out how to avoid paying it.

So mom writes a suicide note  and Bethany infers from it that mom blames her for her depression and suicide attempt.  That is pretty awful, but Bethany is supposedly good with it now so she doesn't need therapy to deal with her feeling about it.  Or therapy for the abusive boyfriend.  Or therapy for anything.   She won't mention it to her mom, and she doesn't go to Lola to find out she could write her mom a letter and maybe not mail it, but she ends up with a therapist who looks like she may be Dr Now's next patient. 

Well,  Bethany you don't want to confront your mom about it, but you are willing to talk about it on the show which your mother will either see or hear about.   You are either dumb or very passive aggressive or both.  

I was very unimpressed with their choice of a restaurant in Kansas, but at least they were seated at a table unlike when they all eat in recliners at home for every meal.   Have they never heard of a kitchen table?   I eat all my meals at a table, although we might snack in front of the tv during a movie or game.    She did seem to manage to not cheat on the diet in front of the camera or scream at her enablers like most of them do. 

I have trouble believing the people on this show have not watched at least a few episodes and understand that they will have to lose weight and go to therapy in order to work the program.  Oh, that's right--- it is a magic bullet, not something that needs work from the patient.  It is as though they think pleasing Dr Now will automatically cause them to lose the weight. 

Wasn't she from Alva, OK?   I think he had another patient from there.  Maybe Renee and what's his name.   What's with the people who are/were counselors and live in OK that they think they are okay to do it on their own after surgery.   There was a guidance counselor from OK City who also went AWOL from the program.   Can't recall her name at the moment, but I think she got down into the 400's from the 600's and was content with the change.

Did anyone else want to scream "eat death, Bethany" as she ate all those brownies?  Maybe they should change the name of the show to "My 600 pound life--  Eating Death on the River of Denial"

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
3 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Did anyone else want to scream "eat death, Bethany" as she ate all those brownies?  Maybe they should change the name of the show to "My 600 pound life--  Eating Death on the River of Denial"

Ugh. My stomach literally started to hurt watching her eat all that pizza, garlic bread and brownies. I wanted to yell out "does it taste like grease and freedom?"

• LOL 13
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, WonTon said:

Ugh. My stomach literally started to hurt watching her eat all that pizza, garlic bread and brownies. I wanted to yell out "does it taste like grease and freedom?"

I was going to mention the "grease and freedom," but I couldn't remember if it was a quote from Lindsey last week or from the 1000 pound sisters which I also DVR and ff thru.  

If I were that heavy and ate that much greasy food,  I would think I would get heartburn so bad I couldn't eat. 

Having seen her record with medicaid fraud (i.e., theft),  I have zero sympathy for this woman.   ( I am probably in a handbasket headed for hell after that remark.)  I want to rescue her children.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, WonTon said:

OMG. She ate almost an entire 14-inch pizza, AND what looked like a full loaf of garlic bread, AND an entire tray of brownies. I don't even want to think about her blood sugar level (my doctor once told me that plain white bread is basically like sugar for your body). Does it never occur to these people to cut back a little? I mean, just a little bit? How about half a 14-inch pizza, half a loaf of garlic bread, and half that brownie tray? That's still WAY too much food, but would be a significant improvement.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I just find it really objectionable that....

...TLC has put me through two weeks in a row of two of the most unlikable makes me really want to punch them in the face repeatedly heifers.  I like a good train wreck as much as anybody,  but at least throw us a bone and give us somebody we'd sort of like or may would like to root for.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Mswldflwr said:

...TLC has put me through two weeks in a row of two of the most unlikable makes me really want to punch them in the face repeatedly heifers.  I like a good train wreck as much as anybody,  but at least throw us a bone and give us somebody we'd sort of like or may would like to root for.

I agree. Can't we get another Justin (from last season)? Someone who works hard that's easy to get behind.

Edited by WonTon
  • Love 5

Was the other one from Oklahoma Cynthia?     The one who had a couple of biological kids, and adopted three of her cousin's kids?     She was a school teacher.   She quit Dr. Now when she was down to where she wanted to be, which was still morbidly obese, came back to his program, and quit again.       I think she was from Oklahoma City?  

"Grease and Freedom" was Lindsey from last week's show.   

Bethany was one of the most unlikable people ever on this program.   I think she only signed up for the program because she would get the magic bullet weight loss surgery, and instantly weigh 98 lbs., and get even more attention.    She has to be the source of all attention, and this was another way to be the celebrity she thinks she is.  

SInce she lived a day's drive from Houston, she only had to stay local for a month.    They've done this before with people who can get back and forth to Dr. Now's after a certain period after surgery.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10

Well that makes 2 totally uninteresting shows so far.  We don't know what happened last week since the poundicipant got her surgery 3 minutes before the show ended.  This week Bethany simply chose her love of food over her family.  Another maroon who thinks surgery is a miracle cure despite being told repeatedly it's not.  And why didn't she have to move to Houston?  I thought that was a pre-requisite.  Series is either running out of steam or saving the good stuff for later. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Once again, a patient promises to do whatever Dr. Now wants, then decides it's too much work. And I'll bet you her "protein" bars had a big Snickers label on them.

Fun fact: Mars came out with Snickers Protein candy bars in the UK.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

I think Dr. Now approved her too soon. She lost 28 pounds in one munt. And he approved her. We KNOW that if a 600 pound person follows the diet verbatim, they will lose more than that. If she was not cheating she would have lost 35-45 pounds. He approved her and said she needed to lose for a weigh in before her surgery and I think she lost another 28 pounds. I'm sorry anyone can be good for 2 months with a TV crew following them and this opportunity. He should have given her a bigger goal and for longer considering in 4 months on his plan she lost a total of 8 pounds.

Dr. Now did see the older girl at one of the later appts.

I thought the husband was one of those people who has a high metabolism, remember he said he can't sit still when waiting for her surgery to be over? He probably eats 1 1/2 slices of the pizza one brownie, one mcdonalds burger and that's all he eats all day but Bethany and the daughters always say "Oh he eats like a pig and just doesn't gain he is so lucky!" No he doesn't he does join in but he stops after a normal serving. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

And why didn't she have to move to Houston?  I thought that was a pre-requisite.  Series is either running out of steam or saving the good stuff for later. 

It usually is, but not if you live in OK.  I wondered if it was because the husband had a job and couldn't move with her and Isabella couldn't move because of Zowie.    I have no idea really.  Maybe he has no idea how big Texas really is.  Cynthia was allowed to stay in OK City as well.

6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Was the other one from Oklahoma Cynthia?     The one who had a couple of biological kids, and adopted three of her cousin's kids?     She was a school teacher.   She quit Dr. Now when she was down to where she wanted to be, which was still morbidly obese, came back to his program, and quit again.       I think she was from Tulsa?  

I had a bff in college from Tulsa so I used to visit OK a lot and tend to pay attention when patients are from there.  I am pretty sure that Cynthia (thanks for reminding me of her name as I find her forgettable) was from OK City.   I think someone else was from Alva as I recall googling it, although it could have been someone on another TLC show.

• Love 1

To be 18 years old and be that weight cannot be easy. Especially going off to prom and all the thin skinny girls at school. But all they are given is junk food. And why do they all eat from the living room chairs? They may have actually inherited their father's metabolism but they faced a losing battle. 

She did blame 6 years of post partum depression on quitting her job and sitting home eating (not getting arrested for fraud). She also said she suffered from Anxiety. Why didn't she seek out help from a Psychiatrist for her anxiety? She said she had panic attacks too. Another reason to seek help from a good mental health professional. 

• Love 5

I was struck by how manipulative she is, along with being an unabashed liar.  During her initial "60 pounds in two munt" weight loss period, all her voiceovers were nothing except how hard she was working.  The one meal she prepared for the cameras was an extremely austere baked chicken and squash.  Some of the participants at least admit to "a few slips" or something similar.  Not her, she's a supahstah.  Then to have the gall to act nonplussed in Dr. Now's office when she only lost a fraction of the required amount -- and when he questioned her about her eating habit, blamed it on protein bars (ummm I think that has no chance of being true), and bringing up her one on-camera meal of chicken and squash.  Who wants to bet that one meal was the only Dr. Now-approved meal she ate in two months?  

I don't recall another show where the subject just gave up because "the surgery didn't work".  That's a pretty breathtaking statement.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 18